PDA

View Full Version : NDSU looks at possible football game at Target Field

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Jay
09-23-2016, 11:37 PM
This would be amazing.

http://www.inforum.com/news/4122131-mcfeely-ndsu-looks-possible-football-game-target-field

Christopher Moen
09-23-2016, 11:41 PM
This would be amazing.

http://www.inforum.com/news/4122131-mcfeely-ndsu-looks-possible-football-game-target-field

Capture that market!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Meaty
09-23-2016, 11:42 PM
Hell yes. I am in

No_Skill
09-23-2016, 11:45 PM
Would this be at the expense of a home game?

BisonTeacher
09-23-2016, 11:48 PM
Sounds awesome. At least one local team will get a win in that stadium! Lol. There's an attendance joke somewhere in there too.

As an aside....tailgating options might be worse than at tcf.

Jay
09-23-2016, 11:48 PM
Would this be at the expense of a home game?

Does it matter?

No_Skill
09-23-2016, 11:54 PM
If successful, I could see this being bi-annual.

It raises many questions.

Is this a preview of our potential as an fbs team? A good showing could be used to prove the theory we could fill a larger venue. It could be used to show we have a viewing audience in the cities. Are there ulterior motives?

Jay
09-23-2016, 11:57 PM
Baseball wise it holds 40k. Not sure how many more configured for football. It's a sellout regardless of who we play.

No_Skill
09-24-2016, 12:00 AM
Does it matter?

Maybe. I might be looking too deep into this, but if it takes away a home game, that's a big chunk of change out of the Fargodome's pocket. This could generate a large profit for NDSU. Could this be a means to apply pressure for expansion?

Professor Chaos
09-24-2016, 12:02 AM
I'm lukewarm on it. I don't like the idea of giving up a home game and the seating configuration would be goofy to say the least. However, it would be great exposure in an incredibly lucrative market for NDSU so worth the effort IMO.

NDSUstudent
09-24-2016, 12:03 AM
This is a great idea, especially to use as a special event for alumni with no potentially no FBS games for a while.

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 12:04 AM
I'm lukewarm on it. I don't like the idea of giving up a home game and the seating configuration would be goofy to say the least. However, it would be great exposure in an incredibly lucrative market for NDSU so worth the effort IMO.

I am with you I would rather not drive 8 hours...But if it helps the program...OK

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 12:07 AM
This would be amazing.

Sounds great and all that but have you ever watched a football game in a baseball stadium? It sucks.

Plus Im not in favor of losing a home game for a gimmick.

Professor Chaos
09-24-2016, 12:09 AM
Another plus is if they're able to sell out Target Field that would probably catch the attention of the folks at US Bank stadium... and lead to potential opportunities down the road...

On a somewhat related note I can't imagine this would make anyone at the Gopher athletic department overly giddy.

NDSU1980
09-24-2016, 12:12 AM
Does it matter?

Yes. It would have to count as an away game IMO.

No_Skill
09-24-2016, 12:15 AM
They have to have an opponent in mind. I wonder who it is.

CAS4127
09-24-2016, 12:15 AM
Meh--taxing the pure and local fanbase too much IMO. Don't like the idea at all. All you people who bitch about teammaker members need to realize that most of us don't have unlimited $$ to donate AND spend a shit ton on traveling to watch the team. Maybe I'm an outlier, but this does nothing for me other than I'll miss a game that I could and would otherwise attend.

Sent from my iPhone.

1993bison
09-24-2016, 12:16 AM
Target Field? Boooooo! For the sole reason of losing mojo rubbing off on our Bison.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

HerdBot
09-24-2016, 12:21 AM
Target Field? Meh. Great for baseball but meh for football. Why not TCF or the Vikings Stadium?
And it can't be against Delaware State or some schmuck team. Gotta give season ticket holders dibs too

Strommer10
09-24-2016, 12:22 AM
This is a great idea and needs to happen. Larsen is trying to capitalize on the momentum and I love that. The "giving up a home game" claim doesn't hold water. This will nearly sellout with Twin Cities alumni alone. Get a high caliber FCS opponent with name recognition like Sam Houston, Montana, etc. and this event will be a huge success. (Please no Incarnate Word, PV A&M type teams) :praying:

HerdBot
09-24-2016, 12:25 AM
This is a great idea and needs to happen. Larsen is trying to capitalize on the momentum and I love that. The "giving up a home game" claim doesn't hold water. This will nearly sellout with Twin Cities alumni alone. Get a high caliber FCS opponent with name recognition like Sam Houston, Montana, etc. and this event will be a huge success. (Please no Incarnate Word, PV A&M type teams) :praying:

You list your location as Minneapolis... I would want it too if I lived there

1993bison
09-24-2016, 12:26 AM
Meh--taxing the pure and local fanbase too much IMO. Don't like the idea at all. All you people who bitch about teammaker members need to realize that most of us don't have unlimited $$ to donate AND spend a shit ton on traveling to watch the team. Maybe I'm an outlier, but this does nothing for me other than I'll miss a game that I could and would otherwise attend.

Sent from my iPhone.
Great point. For folks that travel from West of Fargo that means more $$$ out of our pockets. If it were WI at the new Vikes stadium that would be cool.

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 12:26 AM
Target Field? Meh. Great for baseball but meh for football. Why not TCF or the Vikings Stadium?
And it can't be against Delaware State or some schmuck team. Gotta give season ticket holders dibs too

Cause you can fill TF?.? Plus it seems we have a connection.... there again.?.?

HerdBot
09-24-2016, 12:28 AM
Cause you can fill TF?.? Plus it seems we have a connection there again.?.?

I think we could get pretty close depending on opponent. 50k capacity. The idea is to tap into new fans and expand right. Why does it have to sell out?

NDSUstudent
09-24-2016, 12:29 AM
I do agree that part of it is a bit of a gimmick but you are doing it to attract some attention to the game. Not sure how the sightlines would be but Target would probably be better then most baseball stadiums because it is a very compact stadium.

Strommer10
09-24-2016, 12:31 AM
You list your location as Minneapolis... I would want it too if I lived there

Correct. And I'm not saying this should be an every year thing. But a one time event to capitalize on all of this exposure that NDSU has been receiving, I would be all for it no matter where I lived.

NDSUstudent
09-24-2016, 12:34 AM
Gopher field in this pic but it shows what it would look like...

http://www.ballparkmagic.com/_resources/football%20grid%202.jpg

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 12:44 AM

Have you ever been to a FB game in a BB stadium?

NDSU92
09-24-2016, 12:45 AM

Completely agree with you and Student. I would be surprised if we get ANY new FBS games scheduled in the immediate future. If we can't get yearly FBS games, this would be an awesome alternative. Would be exciting, awesome exposure in the cities, rub it in to the Goofs, what's not to love about it?

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 12:46 AM
I think we could get pretty close depending on opponent. 50k capacity. The idea is to tap into new fans and expand right. Why does it have to sell out?

Perception!

GOBISON123
09-24-2016, 12:48 AM
This would be amazing.

If this is a success, all that talk about FBS not interested in NDSU because of TV sets, audience, blah blah blah will be irrelevant.

CAS4127
09-24-2016, 12:56 AM
If this is a success, all that talk about FBS not interested in NDSU because of TV sets, audience, blah blah blah will be irrelevant.

How's that? Are we gonna play all of our "home" games there?

Sent from my iPhone.

Strommer10
09-24-2016, 12:57 AM

When NDSU draws 40,000 at a neutral site game, the entire FBS will take notice.

GOBISON123
09-24-2016, 01:01 AM

Sent from my iPhone.

Thats a good point, I didnt think about that.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-24-2016, 01:05 AM
meh, doesn't turn me on. No one in the cities, outside of alumni, are going to be turned on for a game between two FCS teams that have no connection to the area. Even if we bring a MAC team, no one will care because it isn't a big 10 team.

I would rather he work on playing a P5 team. Doesn't matter who or where. I would travel to Tuscaloosa, Athens, LA, or Scottsdale to see us play before I would drive to the TC to watch us cream some no name FCS team.

BisonTeacher
09-24-2016, 01:05 AM

That looks pretty snug. Wasn't there a football game at Wrigley a few years back and the football field didn't fit?

Bison Bridge Guy
09-24-2016, 01:08 AM
When NDSU draws 40,000 at a neutral site game, the entire FBS will take notice.

Doubt it. We will always have a limited TV market. That's where FBS conferences make money. What we can draw in a stadium that's not ours wouldn't seem to matter.

CAS4127
09-24-2016, 01:09 AM
meh, doesn't turn me on. No one in the cities, outside of alumni, are going to be turned on for a game between two FCS teams that have no connection to the area. Even if we bring a MAC team, no one will care because it isn't a big 10 team.

I would rather he work on playing a P5 team. Doesn't matter who or where. I would travel to Tuscaloosa, Athens, LA, or Scottsdale to see us play before I would drive to the TC to watch us cream some no name FCS team.

Solid post!!

Sent from my iPhone.

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 01:10 AM

Dude weve already played the goofs 3 times. Beat them twice. FBS still isnt interested. You been living under a rock?

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 01:12 AM

^^^^^^^^^
This.

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 01:17 AM
That looks pretty snug. Wasn't there a football game at Wrigley a few years back and the football field didn't fit?

Wrigley used to be the Cubs home field before they moved to Soldier. Its sucked. Just like the Packers at Milwaukee County and the Vikings at the old Met.

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 01:17 AM

Sent from my iPhone.

No shit. :rofl:

Bison03
09-24-2016, 01:19 AM
Who cares if anyone in msp cares about the game. Msp alumni and Fargo Bison fans and every other Bison fan would pack the place!! Have any of you been to a Bison football game with 40,000 Bisom fan?!! Yeah, me neither.. Has never happened. I like this idea. If they are still doing the FCS kickoff, I would think they would want this game on ESPN.

HerdBot
09-24-2016, 01:24 AM

I think the point is to allow fans who live in the Twin Cities that may want to go to games but can't get tickets an opportunity to go. Plus most of the local fans.

Make it a 7th game during a 12 game season or an FBS opponent, but I hate the idea of losing a home game. If I'm going to do a 6 hour round trip, rent hotels for 2 day this better not be a shity opponent. I have better things to do than drive 6 hours for a crappy game. Between a game and 5 hours tailgating that's a long weekend

Strommer10
09-24-2016, 01:27 AM

I agree with this, but do you think this will actually happen? Larsen is probably seeing the writing on the wall. No FBS team will schedule us. This is an opportunity for a one time substitute for the lack of FBS games on the schedule.

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 01:30 AM
I think the point is to allow fans who live in the Twin Cities that may want to go to games but can't get tickets an opportunity to go. Plus most of the local fans.

Make it a 7th game or an FBS opponent, but I hate the idea of losing a home game.

It does nothing for the current season ticket holders if we lose a home game. If its an away game fine. But what other team is going to want to give up a home game and travel to the cities.? UND? This game would do nothing for anyone elses fans as well. I dont think UNIs fans would travel
for a gimmick either.

Hammerhead
09-24-2016, 01:31 AM
I'm waiting to see Alabama vs. NDSU in US Bank Stadium. :)

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 01:34 AM
I agree with this, but do you think this will actually happen? Larsen is probably seeing the writing on the wall. No FBS team will schedule us. This is an opportunity for a one time substitute for the lack of FBS games on the schedule.

The problem is if you cant get an FBS team he has to find a great FCS team. I dont know whose going to like losing a home game to drive to watch a tomato can.

NDSU92

Make it a 7th game or an FBS opponent, but I hate the idea of losing a home game.

Honestly, I don't understand the whole 'hate losing a home game' stance. We usually get 6 regular season games every year, which is above average with an 11-game schedule. Then, we usually get 3 more home playoff games. Nine home games a year. That's more than some FCS teams get in 2 years combined. I don't understand how you wouldn't want to give just one of those games up once for the opportunity for something like this. And don't kid yourself, we are scheduling ZERO FBS games in the 5 years unless we start losing consistently. Put it in perspective of any other FCS team and they would KILL for this opportunity. Hell UND is trying to kill themselves just to get their games on FSN North so people in MSP can watch the game on TV. This is just another way for us to push the envelope and increase our footprint.

Bison03
In the perfect scenario, we schedule it during a 12 game season. Still have 6 games at the dome and then have an extra "home" game in msp. 2019 is the next chance for 12 games.

HerdThat!
09-24-2016, 01:36 AM
Who cares if anyone in msp cares about the game. Msp alumni and Fargo Bison fans and every other Bison fan would pack the place!! Have any of you been to a Bison football game with 40,000 Bisom fan?!! Yeah, me neither.. Has never happened. I like this idea. If they are still doing the FCS kickoff, I would think they would want this game on ESPN.

I agree! This would be an awesome atmosphere, it would garner a ton of attention even if not against a big name opponent. ESPN loved the whole Bristol atmosphere a couple weeks ago for the VT/ Tenn game (seating here would not be any where near as bad as that was for seeing the game- a soccer match was just held in Target Field and viewing was not bad at all.) Gopher fans would be beside themselves if GameDay were to come here for an NDSU game in their own backyard while not hosting it themselves. It would continue to help recruiting even furthee especially the Minnesota kids n surrounding regions. It would be a pretty awesome novelty. I get losing a home game is not favorable with most fans that would have to travel in, but it would be something after the fact I bet everyone was glad took place.

NDSUstudent
09-24-2016, 01:38 AM

No but I've been Target Field a bunch of times and it seems like it would be better than some of other ballparks I've been to.

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 01:40 AM
Honestly, I don't understand the whole 'hate losing a home game' stance. We usually get 6 regular season games every year, which is above average with an 11-game schedule. Then, we usually get 3 more home playoff games. Nine home games a year. That's more than some FCS teams get in 2 years combined. I don't understand how you wouldn't want to give just one of those games up once for the opportunity for something like this. And don't kid yourself, we are scheduling ZERO FBS games in the 5 years unless we start losing consistently. Put it in perspective of any other FCS team and they would KILL for this opportunity. Hell UND is trying to kill themselves just to get their games on FSN North so people in MSP can watch the game on TV. This is just another way for us to push the envelope and increase our footprint.

Those 3 HOME playoff games arent automatic. The key to the success of the gimmick is the opponent. Other than that I dont see what the big deal is. Weve played there 3 times already.

Strommer10
09-24-2016, 01:42 AM
In the perfect scenario, we schedule it during a 12 game season. Still have 6 games at the dome and then have an extra "home" game in msp. 2019 is the next chance for 12 games.

2019 is a 12 game season. OOC schedule is as follows:

8/31 Home vs Butler
9/7 Home vs UND
9/14 Away vs Delaware

There are two open dates available for a game like this without costing a precious home game in the dome. This year is the ideal scenario for everyone IMO.

TAILG8R
09-24-2016, 01:44 AM
Meh

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-24-2016, 01:45 AM

I don't believe no FBS will schedule us. I'm pretty sure most, if not all SEC teams, the top P12, the top big 12, and the top ACC teams will play us. You really think LSU, Alabama, GA, Ole Miss, Tenn, Flordia, Auburn, Texas A&M are afraid to play the might Bison? I can't believe USC, UCLA, Stanford, or Washington won't play us? You can't tell me Clemson, Flordia State, or Lousiville would be afraid to schedule us?

I just don't believe we have contacted any of these schools. I have a hard time believing the heavy weights of the P5 conferences won't play us on any given year. Larson should be spending his time and effort on trying to secure a date with one of these teams.

Gully
09-24-2016, 01:46 AM
I'm all for it. I don't mind giving up a home game. I've been to like a hundred home games so something new and different would be fun, especially since we'll probably have fewer FBS games coming up.

StL Bison Fan
09-24-2016, 01:46 AM
Target Field should have many open dates in Oct and after so that shouldnt be a problem.
The Cardinals FB Team played at Bush stadium. It was ok. Just ok- thats why they moved.
Maybe we can dupe one of our slower thinking MVFC teams into thinking its a good idea. They can give up a home game and we will do all the planning.
It is apparent that M Larsen reads BV

NDSU92
09-24-2016, 01:47 AM
Those 3 HOME playoff games arent automatic. The key to the success of the gimmick is the opponent. Other than that I dont see what the big deal is. Weve played there 3 times already.

I agree, can't be a stinker of an opponent. Like others have said, ideally it would be in a season that's either 12 games or we can't find an FBS opponent. We can still have our 6 regular season home games. We have incredible leaders at NDSU that wouldn't do this unless it was best for the program and its fans. I don't understand why BV doesn't seem to trust our leaders on decisions such as this (see gameday location hysteria that turned out to be without a doubt the correct decision). The ones making this decision have great vision, but also know what the fans want. IIRC Matt Larsen has said that getting 6 home games a year is the #1 most important thing on which he bases his scheduling decisions.

wagsabison
09-24-2016, 01:48 AM
I think it would be kind of fun. As much as people would hate it a game vs UND there would be pretty full since both schools have a large alumni base in the Twin Cities

td577
09-24-2016, 01:48 AM
I don't believe no FBS will schedule us. I'm pretty sure most, if not all SEC teams, the top P12, the top big 12, and the top ACC teams will play us. You really think LSU, Alabama, GA, Ole Miss, Tenn, Flordia, Auburn, Texas A&M are afraid to play the might Bison? I can't believe USC, UCLA, Stanford, or Washington won't play us? You can't tell me Clemson, Flordia State, or Lousiville would be afraid to schedule us?

I just don't believe we have contacted any of these schools. I have a hard time believing the heavy weights of the P5 conferences won't play us on any given year. Larson should be spending his time and effort on trying to secure a date with one of these teams.

I think a lot of those school when they play FCS programs, which for some is fairly often, throw a bone to the schools in their own region.

NDSUstudent
09-24-2016, 01:49 AM

I'm sure Bama would play us but some of those other schools have a host of regional sacrificial lambs they can line up. Sadly you don't get bonus points for beating/playing a tough FCS team. It isn't like those programs need help selling tickets, it is just a no win situation for them.

td577
09-24-2016, 01:50 AM
I think it would be kind of fun. As much as people would hate it a game vs UND there would be pretty full since both schools have a large alumni base in the Twin Cities

That would be the only way NDSU should agree to play them outside the Fargodome.

StL Bison Fan
09-24-2016, 01:50 AM

He said it wont be them.

NDSUstudent
09-24-2016, 01:51 AM

A UND game would sellout easy but I can see the point of keeping it in ND.

NDSU92

I think it's public knowledge that Arkansas has told us "no way, Jose". They can't be the only ones. It doesn't come down to them being "scared" to play us, it comes down to there being 119 or so other FCS schools that they can play that carry about .01% as much risk as we do. They have no reason to risk playing us, and if a school has a good AD, they won't play us.

wagsabison
He said it wont be them.

I didn't see that... Just breezed through the article

Bison Bridge Guy
He said it wont be them.

And it's not a hockey game so ...

Strommer10
09-24-2016, 01:53 AM

Don't get me wrong, I would love to play every team you mentioned. But what is the incentive for them? Those teams you mentioned would rather play a local FCS team that they know they can beat by 30+. In a dream scenario I would love to play an FBS team every season. But the future of scheduling is changing, especially for NDSU.

HerdBot
09-24-2016, 01:54 AM
It does nothing for the current season ticket holders if we lose a home game. If its an away game fine. But what other team is going to want to give up a home game and travel to the cities.? UND? This game would do nothing for anyone elses fans as well. I dont think UNIs fans would travel
for a gimmick either.

The only way it's not a gimmick is if we can somehow get an FBS team, even if it's the Mac conference or Sunbelt

NorthernBison
09-24-2016, 02:03 AM
The idea is a gimmick to generate more visibility.

There won't be 40,000 tickets sold to Bison fans. The only opponents who could drive a sellout are a P5 FBS or the F'NHawks and neither is going to happen.

I'd make the trip for a game in the new stadium. That's about it.

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 02:05 AM
The only way it's not a gimmick is if we can somehow get an FBS team, even if it's the Mac conference or Sunbelt

Even with a decent opponent its still a gimmick.

1993bison
09-24-2016, 02:09 AM
My as well play under the Barnum - Bailey Big Tent

Professor Chaos
09-24-2016, 02:10 AM
Also keep in mind this is "the spot" for NDSU when it comes to recruiting. If Larsen thinks he can sell out Target Field it's a heckuva recruiting opportunity for all the Twin Cities kids they'll undoubtedly be looking at that year.

I would venture to guess that Larsen isn't too worked up about losing a home game because he knows he doesn't have to cater to season ticket holders. We can be upset but we'll still give him our money every spring when renewals come up. And if we don't he's got plenty of people waiting in line who will.

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 02:11 AM
That would be the only way NDSU should agree to play them outside the Fargodome.

I actually hear what your saying, which is to say NDSU should never play UND in GF. Beyond that, NDSU should never do anything to promote UND....gimmick or not

mtoutfitter
09-24-2016, 02:12 AM
My as well play under the Barnum - Bailey Big Tent

What's the seating capacity for that.....??

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 02:13 AM

Gotta be at least 39,504 :-)

HerdBot
09-24-2016, 02:13 AM

You don't have to understand it. Fans just want home games early in the year when it's warm for tailgating. Tailgating drops dramatically in the playoffs. If the opponent sucks and I have to drive 6 hours who cares

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 02:16 AM
Also keep in mind this is "the spot" for NDSU when it comes to recruiting. If Larsen thinks he can sell out Target Field it's a heckuva recruiting opportunity for all the Twin Cities kids they'll undoubtedly be looking at that year.

I would venture to guess that Larsen isn't too worked up about losing a home game because he knows he doesn't have to cater to season ticket holders. We can be upset but we'll still give him our money every spring when renewals come up. And if we don't he's got plenty of people waiting in line who will.

Really. You think he has that attitude? You start shitting on your base---yes you will get the money for the tickets. But how much of the extra donations will they lose?

HerdBot
09-24-2016, 02:19 AM
Really. You think he has that attitude? You start shitting on your base---yes you will get the money for the tickets. But how much of the extra donations will they lose?

This is probably the only thing we have ever agreed on!

NDSU1980
09-24-2016, 02:22 AM
The more I think about this the more I conclude it's the dumbest thing the athletic dept has come up with in years. I'm lucky to come up with tickets for a couple home games a year, but no way am I driving 360 miles to a game in the cities. No way in hell. Who comes up with this stuff anyway????

Professor Chaos
09-24-2016, 02:29 AM
I don't think he's shitting on his fan base, I would guess his intention is quite the opposite. That's to provide fans, in the Twin Cities and elsewhere, the opportunity to get tickets to an NDSU football that they otherwise wouldn't have. The closest venue(s) to Fargo that can accommodate that increased supply is in the Twin Cities. Sure, it'll upset some season ticket holders who have tickets regardless but it'll make up to 20,000 other Bison fans awfully excited to get tickets they otherwise couldn't. It makes a lot of sense from a business perspective and, like it or not, Bison football is just a big business.

aces1180
09-24-2016, 02:33 AM
Fantastic idea.

As a season ticket holder, I'm fairly sure I would get dibs on tickets if we are giving up a home game.

It it would be fun and different. I'm all in.

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 02:36 AM
I don't think he's shitting on his fan base, I would guess his intention is quite the opposite. That's to provide fans, in the Twin Cities and elsewhere, the opportunity to get tickets to an NDSU football that they wouldn't regularly have. The closest venue(s) to Fargo that can accommodate that increased supply is in the Twin Cities. Sure, it'll upset some season ticket holders who have tickets regardless but it'll make up to 20,000 other Bison fans awfully excited to get tickets they otherwise couldn't. It makes a lot of sense from a business perspective and, like it or not, Bison football is just a big business.

I venture to say you will get 40K there and as long as its a every few years deal, its not all that bad. Like i said, it kinda sucks to drive 8 hours for a game, but on the flip side if it helps expand the brand, which it will. I can tolerate it once in awhile

EC8CH
09-24-2016, 02:36 AM
Let's do it. I'm in to help sell out whatever venue they want. If the Bison are playing football, I'll be there.

SoCalBison
09-24-2016, 02:37 AM
The more I think about this the more I conclude it's the dumbest thing the athletic dept has come up with in years. I'm lucky to come up with tickets for a couple home games a year, but no way am I driving 360 miles to a game in the cities. No way in hell. Who comes up with this stuff anyway????

The following message is brought to you by the color purple:

If the Bison are looking for a new home since Fargo is too small a TV market and the dome seats too few, let's do an RFP. Criteria:
*Large TV market
*No existing dominant FBS team in the market
*Warm climate preferred
*Available open air stadium with parking lots appropriate for major tailgating activity
*Geographically adjacent to a quality G-5 conference considering expansion

Other criteria we need to consider?

56BISON73
This is probably the only thing we have ever agreed on!

Plus the lost revenue would be huge. 500k on tickets alone. Then they will have to reduce the TM donation for the year if its based on 6 games. Thats a 266.00 dollar loss from my tickets along on the seating obligation.

The tickets for this gimmick is going to be spendy.

NorthernBison
A huge reason for NDSU turnout in the Cities was because the Goohers were the opponent.

This better include a VERY attractive opponent or it will fail spectacularly.

gumby013
09-24-2016, 02:38 AM
It would be good if they could book it for 2 years in a row for the UNI game. Home game for each.

HerdBot
09-24-2016, 02:39 AM

Gimmick or smart marketing? I like the general idea because anytime you can make it easy for your alumni who can't make games regularly to meet at a central location in your #1 city , good things will happen. The 2006 Gopher game was one of the most impactful moments in Ndsu history. But... That was an exciting game. Twin Cities Bison fans won't flock to a game to see a shirty opponent.

I also like the recruiting possibilies.

Well... May have a better shot getting an FBS team to play us at a neutral site than at the dome, Who nobody wants to play in??

In cool with the gimmick if it's a bonus game but not at the expense of a home game. It's a stupid idea.

And Target Field with a dirt field being a mile away from the field isn't big time. It's Bush league. Gopher Stadium or The Vikings Stadium would be truly exciting. I would go just to see the Vikings Stadium.

Professor Chaos
09-24-2016, 02:39 AM
I venture to say you will get 40K there and as long as its a every few years deal, its not all that bad. Like i said, it kinda sucks to drive 8 hours for a game, but on the flip side if it helps expand the brand, which it will. I can tolerate it once a in awhile
Agreed, I hope they use this tactic sparingly going forward. I'm not in the group that thinks this is a genius move but I can see the purpose behind and it makes sense IMO if done, like you said, every few years at most.

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 02:40 AM
A huge reason for NDSU turnout in the Cities was because the Goohers were the opponent.

This better include a VERY attractive opponent or it will fail spectacularly.

That is not true

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 02:42 AM
Gimmick or smart marketing? I like the general idea because anytime you can make it easy for your alumni who can't make games regularly to meet at a central location in your #1 city , good things will happen. The 2006 Gopher game was one of the most impactful moments in Ndsu history. But... That was an exciting game. Twin Cities Bison fans won't flock to a game to see a shirty opponent.

Well... May have a better shot getting an FBS team to play us at a neutral site than at the dome, Who nobody wants to play in??

In cool with the gimmick if it's a bonus game but not at the expense of a home game. It's a stupid idea.

And Target Field with a dirt field being a mile away from the field isn't big time. It's Bush league. Gopher Stadium or The Vikings Stadium would be truly exciting. I would go just to see the Vikings Stadium.

Gabe are you honestly saying you will not go unless its a big time opponent? I bet you will be there :-)

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 02:43 AM
I don't think he's shitting on his fan base, I would guess his intention is quite the opposite. That's to provide fans, in the Twin Cities and elsewhere, the opportunity to get tickets to an NDSU football that they otherwise wouldn't have. The closest venue(s) to Fargo that can accommodate that increased supply is in the Twin Cities. Sure, it'll upset some season ticket holders who have tickets regardless but it'll make up to 20,000 other Bison fans awfully excited to get tickets they otherwise couldn't. It makes a lot of sense from a business perspective and, like it or not, Bison football is just a big business.

Not the fan base. The season ticket holders-base. Plus you are betting on 20,000 non season tickets holders???? So you take the chance to screw your season ticket holders for may 20k on a one time shot? You call that good business? Yeah ok.

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 02:46 AM
Not the fan base. The season ticket holders-base. Plus you are betting on 20,000 non season tickets holders???? So you take the chance to screw your season ticket holders for may 20k on a one time shot? You call that good business? Yeah ok.

I dont think its about the $$$ it is about keeping the brand top of mind. I work out of the cities and you would be amazed at how many none NDSU alums follow the Bison. I am always getting how did they do....that was a good game...did you see CW. There is a lot of interest.

Me personally, I just dont like watching FB at a baseball field, but I get why they are doing it.

MNLonghorn10
09-24-2016, 02:46 AM
Im in. would be sweet and something new.

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 02:47 AM

If its in a real football stadium I would be more inclined to be supportive. But Ive been to way to many FB games in BB stadiums and it just sucks period. Plus losing a home game just loses all appeal to me.

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 02:48 AM

What? You never been to the cities before? :D

NDSUstudent
09-24-2016, 02:50 AM
I don't think there is going to be a massive season ticket holder revolt over a one time game.

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 02:51 AM
I dont think its about the $$$ it is about keeping the brand top of mind. I work out of the cities and you would be amazed at how many none NDSU alums follow the Bison. I am always getting how did they do....that was a good game...did you see CW. There is a lot of interest.

Me personally, I just dont like watching FB at a baseball field, but I get why they are doing it.

They better be looking at the money in the current financial FCS climate. This cant be a zero sum game.

Professor Chaos
09-24-2016, 02:52 AM
Geez, you'd think he's taking money off your night stand with the "screwing the season ticket holders" comment. I just see this as being merely a small inconvenience to season ticket holders. Obviously you see it as something much more. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

ndsubison1
09-24-2016, 02:53 AM
UNI would make perfect sense

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 02:54 AM
I don't think there is going to be a massive season ticket holder revolt over a one time game.

If you replace their tickets with comparable seats it will take some of the sting out. But the last time I was at target I didnt see any tailgating. Some live for it.

ndsubison1
09-24-2016, 02:55 AM

Sent from my iPhone.

It would be a one time deal. I don't really understand the opposition to this

NDSUstudent
09-24-2016, 02:56 AM

That would make the most sense, each school gives up a home game.

17>1
09-24-2016, 02:56 AM

^This

I'm in regardless of the opponent. What a unique opportunity to see the Bison play in a great location.

CAS4127
09-24-2016, 02:58 AM

It may be that I absolutely hate MPLS, especially downtown. It's a CF IMO.

Sent from my iPhone.

CAS4127
09-24-2016, 02:59 AM
^This

I'm in regardless of the opponent. What a unique opportunity to see the Bison play in a great location.

A great location? Have you been there, whether recently or not. Downtown MPLS sucks. Hate it.

Sent from my iPhone.

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 02:59 AM

Nope no way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You dont play with folks that recruit the same area. You make it all about NDSU. You either bring in a Lamb or a G5 FBS

ndsubison1
09-24-2016, 03:01 AM
Nope no way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You dont play with folks that recruit the same area. You make it all about NDSU

Oklahoma Texas play in Dallas

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 03:01 AM

Do you have season tickets? No
Do you have a tailgate set up? No
Do you pay for reserved parking? No
Is there tailgating at target? No
Do I want to watch a FB game in a BB stadium? No

Of course you dont understand.

HerdBot
09-24-2016, 03:02 AM

Of course there won't. That's like being a manager and being an asshole to your employees just because you can and they won't quit if you do it once. But each time you don't they get a little more disengaged.

ndsubison1
09-24-2016, 03:02 AM

Actually yes I do have season tickets. Looks like I ruffled some feathers! lol. Doesnt change the fact this is a great idea.

NorthernBison
09-24-2016, 03:03 AM
If you replace their tickets with comparable seats it will take some of the sting out. But the last time I was at target I didnt see any tailgating. Some live for it.

Mine would be for sale and so would plenty of others. That would make the sale of 40,000 tickets much more difficult.

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 03:03 AM
A great location? Have you been there, whether recently or not. Downtown MPLS sucks. Hate it.

Sent from my iPhone.

Funny Cas I used to say that...Hated it! been working out of there for 7 years now and have grown to really like it. I stay in the Grand...highly recommend it. DT is great once you get to know where the heck everything you like is at.

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 03:05 AM
Oklahoma Texas play in Dallas

Really CMon!

CAS4127
09-24-2016, 03:06 AM
Funny Cas I used to say that...Hated it! been working out of there for 7 years now and have grown to really like it. I stay in the Grand...highly recommend it. DT is great once you get to know where the heck everything you like is at.

And you think most traveling fans know where everything is at? I do, but still hate it.

Sent from my iPhone.

MAKBison
mine would be for sale and so would plenty of others. That would make the sale of 40,000 tickets much more difficult.

Sent from my iphone using tapatalk

dibs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

56BISON73
Actually yes I do have season tickets. Looks like I ruffled some feathers! lol. Doesnt change the fact this is a great idea.

You mean your parents have season tickets.:)

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 03:07 AM
And you think most traveling fans know where everything is at? I do, but still hate it.

Sent from my iPhone.

I dont know if they do or not, I was just saying I used to hate it and now I dont...Nothing more or less. I know I am not going to get all out of sorts about a game that is rumor based on something is not much more than a rumor.

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 03:09 AM
Mine would be for sale and so would plenty of others. That would make the sale of 40,000 tickets much more difficult.

For me it would depend on who the opponent is and where the seats are.

NDSUstudent
09-24-2016, 03:10 AM
I love downtown MPLS and Target is also my favorite stadium. Beautiful setting, I can see the point about tailgating though. I usually just park in a ramp if I'm going to a game there though so I'm not sure what there is for surface lots near the stadium.

Jay
09-24-2016, 03:12 AM

Yes
Yes
Yes
You know the alumni association will pull through
Sure. Why not.

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 03:14 AM
For me it would depend on who the opponent is and where the seats are.

What they would do is have TGating at some place where it makes sense probable rent out something/sompleace and they would make a huge deal about it. Old lost alum coming bla bla bla. SU would make sure everyone could get to the game via the Tram. If they do this it will be more than just a game it will be a two day event and you will be there just like Myself and everyone else :-)

CAS4127
09-24-2016, 03:16 AM
I dont know if they do or not, I was just saying I used to hate it and now I dont...Nothing more or less. I know I am not going to get all out of sorts about a game that is rumor based on something is not much more than a rumor.

Not out of sorts at all, but I'll bet there are a lot of donors/teammakers/season ticket holders who will be. You know, the grey-haired, knitting ones that everyone seems to bitch about but who are responsible for a bunch of large teammaker donations. But fuck them, right, cuz it's not like they have donated way more than anyone or everyone here combined.

In fact, I'll throw out a challenge. If you are a Bisonville member, you should also be a TM, or STFU. I get sick of of the crying.

Sent from my iPhone.

BisonAccountant44
09-24-2016, 03:20 AM
Haven't read all 13 pages yet, but I love it! Make all you bastards do the 6 hours of driving in a day for once. I say schedule it with UNI, and do it twice so we both give up a home game.

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 03:21 AM
Not out of sorts at all, but I'll bet there are a lot of donors/teammakers/season ticket holders who will be. You know, the grey-haired, knitting ones that everyone seems to bitch about but who are responsible for a bunch of large teammaker donations. But fuck them, right, cuz it's not like they have donated way more than anyone or everyone here combined.

In fact, I'll throw out a challenge. If you are a Bisonville member, you should also be a TM, or STFU. I get sick of of the crying.

Sent from my iPhone.

LOL....no one is saying F them. I am betting it is one of those deals that they tailor more to that crowd. I can see NDSU making it a two day event with prep ralley and the works. Play it off as a way for long lost alum to meet up. bring in a few high profile alums to speak at the ticketed event etc etc.

BTW..If that comment was directed to me, Was A TM while I was a student and before NDSU was winning so.....

Bison03
09-24-2016, 03:22 AM
This reminds me of when everyone thought having Gameday downtown was the dumbest idea ever conceived. I gaurantee that most people who now think this would suck will go, see a Bison game with 40k Bison fans, and agree that it was awesome. My bet is that is will be for the Butler game. Then schedule another home game in a 12 game year. 6 games in the dome with one of them being UND, and another home game in MSP. Sounds like a great schedule to me. This would be the first and maybe only FCS game played in a baseball stadium. Might as well make aome history. With no FBS game until 2020, this would be a great trip for Bison Nation to take over Target Field.

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 03:22 AM
What they would do is have TGating at some place where it makes sense probable rent out something/sompleace and they would make a huge deal about it. Old lost alum coming bla bla bla. SU would make sure everyone could get to the game via the Tram. If they do this it will be more than just a game it will be a two day event and you will be there just like Myself and everyone else :-)

If its a crappy opponent---Dont bet on it. I also have great distain for driving in the cities. Been to target twice and have no desire to go back.

ndsubison1
09-24-2016, 03:23 AM
Haven't read all 13 pages yet, but I love it! Make all you bastards do the 6 hours of driving in a day for once. I say schedule it with UNI, and do it twice so we both give up a home game.

It's like we're taking away PLs social security or something

HerdBot
09-24-2016, 03:24 AM

Sent from my iPhone.

Downtown Minneapolis is a cess pool of losers, thugs, and gang violence. I went to a Twins game a few years ago and wanted to walk back to my hotel. Bad idea I must have turned at the wrong street because I was suddenly in gangsta central. Kind of freaky when it's just you and your wife surrounded by thugs, bananas, and you see a guy getting choked out on the street and nobody even stops to help. Of course last time Kolpack was in downtown Minneapolis he got knocked out right in front of a hotel and he didn't even see it coming. Not my idea of fun

Bisonator98
09-24-2016, 03:25 AM
This sounds more like St. Peters idea than Larsons. Twins are losing money left and right with the shitty product they are fielding so they need more events at TF.

I'd much prefer a game in US Bank stadium then this idea.

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 03:26 AM
Downtown Minneapolis is a cess pool and gang violence. I went to a Twins game a few years ago and wanted to walk back to my hotel. Bad idea I must have turned at the wrong street because I was suddenly in gangsta central. Kind of freaky when it's just you and your wife and thugs are intentionally trying to bump into you and you see a guy getting choked out on the street and nobody even stops to help. Of course last time Kolpack was in downtown Minneapolis he got knocked out right in front of a hotel.

Gabe for the past 7 years, I am there a few days a month every month (right down town) and I have never had an issue. The area is clean and vibrant. Now I did watch the trump protest (his last fundraiser) and that was a bit different. Lets just say the BLM crew was not on its best behavior...but I digress. Plenty of the folks I work with live right DT. You must have ventured off the grid.

1993bison
09-24-2016, 03:26 AM
Depends how may elephants and lion cages

StL Bison Fan
09-24-2016, 03:28 AM
This sounds more like St. Peters idea than Larsons. Twins are losing money left and right with the shitty product they are fielding so they need more events at TF.

I'd much prefer a game in US Bank stadium then this idea.
This came to mind when I read it, but dismissed it. Wouldn't he contact Und since they are a turning worm and have such a good team?

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 03:34 AM
This came to mind when I read it, but dismissed it. Wouldn't he contact Und since they are a turning worm and have such a good team?

They actually host a ton of None BB stuff. Been there a few times for Banquets. Been in the dugoutsl the beer room press box etc. Its a pretty cool space

HerdBot
09-24-2016, 03:35 AM
Gabe for the past 7 years, I am there a few days a month every month (right down town) and I have never had an issue

Just because you have never had a problem that's not a reason to dismiss the alarming violent crime rates. Ask Jeff Kolpack

MNLonghorn10
09-24-2016, 03:36 AM
What? You never been to the cities before? :D
No. Tell me all about it

3Putt
09-24-2016, 03:38 AM
gimmick
noun
1. an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, especially one designed to attract attention or increase appeal.

I'm in.

MNLonghorn10
09-24-2016, 03:38 AM

Sent from my iPhone.
How is downtown Minneapolis a clusterfuck? How does it suck?

Dt mpls is awesome....how do u not have a good time when there? Can't think of the last time I've hated it.

Bisonator98
09-24-2016, 03:41 AM

Did you forget the purple?

They want to sell tickets. If they wanted losers they could just stick to the Twins! :rofl:

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 03:41 AM
Just because you have never had a problem that's not a reason to dismiss the alarming violent crime rates. Ask Jeff Kolpack

Well gabe experiencing DT MPLS a few days every month for the past 7 years and having co workers who live DT who I talk to ever day.....Yeah, it kinda puts me in position of knowing. Look I am not trying to diminish your experience, I am just saying I feel safe. The area is clean, vibrant and a guy can have a ton of fun. The one downside is that it is kinda $$$$ tho. Gotta love per diem.

Kolpeck Not saying he deserved it as no one deserves to be assaulted. But seeing how big his head is, he may no longer be a good example.

MNLonghorn10
09-24-2016, 03:45 AM
Did he tell someone they're not Scottie Miller and got his ass kicked?

EndZoneQB
09-24-2016, 03:46 AM

I do live for it and I would get over it.

I spend a LOT of time hanging out and walking around downtown at late night hours. Sure, there is crime, but there is crime in any city downtown. There have been incidents in Fargo too, does that mean it's unsafe and a cesspool on Broadway? Not at all.

You were probably walking down 7th St on the City Center side of the street because there is a bus stop there. So scary. Walk on the other side of the street or use 6th St if it bothers you that much to be surrounded by black people, er excuse me "gangstas".

Typical naysayers right now that always push down any good idea. Some saying the donors will be pissed...have you thought maybe some of the donors are behind this? Plus, if you won't support NDSU doing this, where do your allegiances lie? You are really going to get sour grapes over this shit so much that you would cry and not go? Please. Get over yourself. You not going only hurts NDSU...do you really want to do that? Fine, if you can't afford it, no hard feelings. Sour grapes is a BS excuse, especially when I know you drive all over PL. If you don't like downtown, stay in the burbs and take the damn train.

Seriously get over yourselves. You know damn well if NDSU schedules this game, some of you will be the first people starting the "Roll Call thread". Don't let your ego and selfishness get in the way of what might be best for NDSU and the program. Don't you at least trust that Larsen will look at the cost/benefit of doing such a game? You think he's going to be so shortsighted to not ask the donors? C'mon. Have some damn faith.

MAKBison
Did he tell someone they're not Scottie Miller and got his ass kicked?

I was thinking that, but was trying to be nice :-)

BisonAccountant44
Jesus Christ. 10 years ago some drunk guy punches JK and now downtown Minneapolis is a gang infested cesspool? You serious Clark? Saying shit like that contributes as much as anything to the backwards reputation people get pissed about ND having.

If I didn't know better I'd say ESPN was bringing GameDay to Fargo but doing it from downtown.

All you people who want growth and change and more exposure, etc. for NDSU, but are pissed at the mear thought of doing something that seems the slightest bit unorthodox to you to acomplish that need to slow down and think. There is no way we do this and give up a home game without getting some piece of the revenue and at a minimum us teammakers/season ticket holders get first dibs if not having it built in to the package somehow. They'll do something that makes sense. Back away from the ledge and take this for what it is.

Bisonwinagn
09-24-2016, 03:47 AM
Not sure if I like it, but fuck those of you not willing to give up 1 home game. You don't even know that a home game was guaranteed in the first place. Get off your ass and go enjoy a night in Mpls you lazy fucks.

Rock
09-24-2016, 03:51 AM
Finally, Gameday to Minneapolis!

17>1
09-24-2016, 03:51 AM

Sent from my iPhone.

Yep, been there quite a few times, but never for a Bison game at Target Field. That's the game changer for me in this entire conversation. I really don't care about how much a downtown sucks or how big the tailgate will be before hand. I go for the opportunity to see the Bison play a football game in a setting that is exciting for the players, the school, and most fans like myself. You think I cared how cool Iowa City or Missoula was before I traveled to those games? Nope, not in the least.

MNLonghorn10
09-24-2016, 03:55 AM
Haha @the last few responses. The rebuttals should be great

Bison bison
09-24-2016, 03:56 AM
This is a great idea. But I'm not sure the team should play football, maybe lacrosse. And during the week. Also to get attention Klieman should ride out of the tunnel naked on a bison and then yell, It's time to make America great again!

HerdBot

I spend a LOT of time hanging out and walking around downtown at late night hours. Sure, there is crime, but there is crime in any city downtown. There have been incidents in Fargo too, does that mean it's unsafe and a cesspool on Broadway? Not at all.

You were probably walking down 7th St on the City Center side of the street because there is a bus stop there. So scary. Walk on the other side of the street or use 6th St if it bothers you that much to be surrounded by black people, er excuse me "gangstas".

Typical naysayers right now that always push down any good idea. Some saying the donors will be pissed...have you thought maybe some of the donors are behind this? Plus, if you won't support NDSU doing this, where do your allegiances lie? You are really going to get sour grapes over this shit so much that you would cry and not go? Please. Get over yourself. You not going only hurts NDSU...do you really want to do that? Fine, if you can't afford it, no hard feelings. Sour grapes is a BS excuse, especially when I know you drive all over PL. If you don't like downtown, stay in the burbs and take the damn train.

Seriously get over yourselves. You know damn well if NDSU schedules this game, some of you will be the first people starting the "Roll Call thread". Don't let your ego and selfishness get in the way of what might be best for NDSU and the program. Don't you at least trust that Larsen will look at the cost/benefit of doing such a game? You think he's going to be so shortsighted to not ask the donors? C'mon. Have some damn faith.

GFY I said gangstas and thugs. Not black people.

If downtown Fargo had the same crime rate as downtown Minneapolis, they would call it an epidemic. It has a higher crime rate than Philly. Last year they only had 50 murders. I don't think there have been 50 murders in Fargo in the last half century.

CAS4127

I can tell you've become "educated" and are now a "progressive" thinker, cuz your retort is classic "progressive". Good for you, and we'll talk in about 10 years and see where you are at. Hoping for the best.

Sent from my iPhone.

ndsubison1
09-24-2016, 03:57 AM

First and foremost its about football. I couldn't care less if a donor doesn't want to go if it happens.

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 03:59 AM
If downtown Fargo had the same crime rate as downtown Minneapolis, they would call it an epidemic. It has a higher crime rate than Philly. Last year they only had 50 murders. I don't think there have been 50 murders in Fargo in the last half century.

OMG populations percentages....comon just say you had a bad experience and leave it at that

Olton Hall
09-24-2016, 04:00 AM

I have at Yankee Stadium. It sucks. Best seats are high up in the end zones. Target field appears to be better suited for football than Yankee Stadium.

HerdBot
09-24-2016, 04:01 AM
OMG populations percentages....comon just say you had a bad experience and leave it at that

Read crime stats. They take subjectivity out of the equation.

Bison bison
09-24-2016, 04:03 AM
A "local" tried to give me sh#t at 7pm just outside my hotel in msp this summer.

I earned my survival in the ghetto card when I was 21 and have never been one for bs, but I was not impressed.

YOUVEBEENTHUNDERSTRUCK
09-24-2016, 04:04 AM
If there is a game ill be there dont matter how shity the opponent or venue. but ive been saying since i heard about US bank that we should do a home and home with UNI there lets take all of the cities recruits to the MVF.

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 04:06 AM
Read crime stats. They take subjectivity out of the equation.
For F sakes gabe I am the Department head for A CJ program I know a lil something about crime stats and objectivity. I also know a bit about crime analysis and how that all works. we are talking about 12 blocks you are taking the crime rates of MPLS and trying to extrapolate them on those 12 blocks. Your talking out your ass cuz you dont like the idea and you had a bad experience.

CAS4127
09-24-2016, 04:09 AM
For F sakes gabe I am the Department head for A CJ program I know a lil something about crime stats and objectivity. I also know a bit about crime analysis and how that all works. we are talking about 12 blocks you are taking the crime rates of MPLS and trying to extrapolate them on those 12 blocks. Your talking out your ass cuz you dont like the idea and you had a bad experience.

How much of the crime rate is attributable to those 12 "square" blocks. Let's see the stats?

Who's talking out of their ass here?

Sent from my iPhone.

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 04:09 AM

Not everything is sour grapes, ego or being selfish. Its called personal preferences. I dont care for FB in a BB stadium, I dont care to drive downtown MPLS nor do I like to spend a lot of time there, I dont care to jump on the trams in a big city.

Then to say if I dont go to the game it will hurt NDSU? LOL I thought we were going to pack the place?:biggrin:

There is also the issue or not of losing a home game. Of course I would not be in favor of that.

As much as you are bewildered that some arent jumping on this bandwagon I am equally bewildered at people wetting themselves over a FB game in a BB stadium. Put it in a FB stadium with a good opponent and you will have my full attention.

HerdBot
09-24-2016, 04:10 AM
If there is a game ill be there dont matter how shity the opponent or venue. but ive been saying since i heard about US bank that we should do a home and home with UNI there lets take all of the cities recruits to the MVF.

We already get our picks of players who don't go Power 5. Playing a shitty team in a baseball stadium that's half empty won't suddenly make us bigger than the Gophers. The Twin Cities media won't even cover it.

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 04:10 AM
How much of the crime rate is attributable to those 12 "square" blocks. Let's see the stats?

Who's talking out of their ass here?

Sent from my iPhone.

You are now :-) ....lets also adjust for the true population in that same area and see the real Percent of crime verses the volume of people. Of course you can argue about the hidden crime. I would venture to say adjusted for real population, DT fargo has the same amount of crime as DT MPLS.

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 04:13 AM
Now this is funny MPLS actually has it crime rates up on the web.... per precinct....I bet we can get audit to actual do this for us. It would be funny to see

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/police/statistics/WCMS1Q-068296

Jay
09-24-2016, 04:14 AM
We already get our picks of players who don't go Power 5. Playing a shitty team in a baseball stadium that's half empty won't suddenly make us bigger than the Gophers. The Twin Cities media won't even cover it.

Earlier you said we could get close to 50k?? Now it's half empty.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?37429-NDSU-looks-at-possible-football-game-at-Target-Field&p=1155557#post1155557

CAS4127
09-24-2016, 04:14 AM
You are now....lets also put the true population in that same area and see the real Percent.

Nice try! LMAO!

Sent from my iPhone.

CAS4127
09-24-2016, 04:16 AM
Not everything is sour grapes, ego or being selfish. Its called personal preferences. I dont care for FB in a BB stadium, I dont care to drive downtown MPLS nor do I like to spend a lot of time there, I dont care to jump on the trams in a big city.

Then to say if I dont go to the game it will hurt NDSU? LOL I thought we were going to pack the place?:biggrin:

There is also the issue or not of losing a home game. Of course I would not be in favor of that.

As much as you are bewildered that some arent jumping on this bandwagon I am equally bewildered at people wetting themselves over a FB game in a BB stadium. Put it in a FB stadium with a good opponent and you will have my full attention.

His response was typical of "progressive" thinkers. Attack in a way that they think will make you feel badly rather than any substance on real point of contention.

Sent from my iPhone.

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 04:17 AM
Nice try! LMAO!

Sent from my iPhone.

Sounds like a cop out...I think you should go ahead and explain how I am theoretically wrong....maybe we all learn something.

I will admit, the percent may indeed be higher but I bet its not drastic (when adjusted for real population, I bet its very close to the same as Fargo....of course, I could be wrong, but I dont think i will be)

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 04:20 AM
His response was typical of "progressive" thinkers. Attack in a way that they think will make you feel badly rather than any substance on real point of contention.

Sent from my iPhone.

If its a crappy opponent I will look at this game just like I do Western Illinois.

CAS4127
09-24-2016, 04:21 AM
Sounds like a cop out...I think you should go ahead and explain how I am theoretically wrong....maybe we all learn something.

I will admit, the percent may indeed be higher but I bet its not drastic (when adjusted for real population)

Isolate the area for crime rate--it's not that difficult really.

Sent from my iPhone.

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 04:22 AM
Earlier you said we could get close to 50k?? Now it's half empty.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?37429-NDSU-looks-at-possible-football-game-at-Target-Field&p=1155557#post1155557

We couldnt bring 50k to Frisco even if they had the capacity.:biggrin:

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 04:22 AM

True but ever once in awhile you gotta change it up! I said from the beginning travel to MPLS and back sucks, losing a Home game sucks, and playing in BB park really sucks. But to keep the product brand top of mind and to do something different that acheives those goals.... I can get with it. that is every once in a while

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 04:30 AM
Isolate the area for crime rate--it's not that difficult really.

Sent from my iPhone.

Cas I am not asking how to do it, I know how to do it. I am saying if you do that and adjust for real population one will most likely find that DT MPLS and DT Fargo are not all that different.

I am also saying that the 12 blocks of DT MPLS where all the action is, is pretty well policed (Commerce has a tendency to ensure that). YOU cant say MPLS is high crime and then attribute the entire crime rate of MPLS to a 12 block area in MPLS ( actually you might be able to, but I doubt it works out that way for what we are arguing over). That is like saying all the crime that happens on/in the south 32 area is the same as that in Rose Creek. ( I LOL when i wrote that Cause I am sure there is more crime in Rose Creek just not the kind we care to police)

Now, maybe we will find out that Most of the crime does happen DT MPLS. Like I said that is probably not the case...Again commerce! Then there is the real population to consider....percent of crime committed against the number of folks in the area. finally, as I stated, I experience DT MPLS all the time. I have been there a few days every month for 7 years. I gotta trust what I see. I dont see a lot of crime thugs and or gangsters. Its clean and vibrant.

Had to add a bit more.....this is kinda like the BLM argument that Cops shoot and kill Black men disproportional than anyone else. That is pure BS... when one looks at the real encounter numbers, White men are killed at a higher rate. Yes, its true that more black men are killed statically, but you have to adjust for the number of encounters. Sorry we were just talking about this today and As I was sitting here it seemed to fit.

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 04:32 AM
We couldnt bring 50k to Frisco even if they had the capacity.:biggrin:

I agree too far out of our footprint

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 04:36 AM
True but ever once in awhile you gotta change it up! I said from the beginning travel to MPLS and back sucks, losing a Home game sucks, and playing in BB park really sucks. But to keep the product brand top of mind and to do something different that acheives those goals.... I can get with it. that is every once in a while

I think we all get it . But what are we going to give up? Granted we dont know any of the particulars and dont know if its really going to happen. Theres pros and con on both sides.

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 04:40 AM
I think we all get it . But what are we going to give up? Granted we dont know any of the particulars and dont know if its really going to happen. Theres pros and con on both sides.

That is just the thing...why are folks getting all pissy about this? I bet they make it a huge Alum deal. If its just a game in a BBpark it will be lame.

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 04:47 AM
That is just the thing...why are folks getting all pissy about this? I bet they make it a huge Alum deal. If its just a game in a BBpark it will be lame.

They gotta come up with a good opponent. Last time was easy it was the goofs. Chip on shoulder stuff, Big 10 etc etc. I dont think any other school other than UND would have the fans to travel to the cities to help fill it. Of course you arent going to need 40k seats because you dont use all of them when you put in a FB field.

CAS4127
09-24-2016, 04:52 AM

I don't think anyone is pissy about this. I know I'm not. I just disagree it a good idea and don't like DT MPLS. That's all. Not pissy at all.

Sent from my iPhone.

ndsubison1
09-24-2016, 04:53 AM

Sent from my iPhone.

I think it was more along the lines of people here being opposed to change and something different. Id bet it would sell out or get close as long as we are still winning. Not to mention if the opponent were UNI they'd bring some too. Its a unique opportunity for FCS schools. NDSU is one of the few that could make this happen.

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 04:55 AM
They gotta come up with a good opponent. Last time was easy it was the goofs. Chip on shoulder stuff, Big 10 etc etc. I dont think any other school other than UND would have the fans to travel to the cities to help fill it. Of course you arent going to need 40k seats because you dont use all of them when you put in a FB field.

See I disagree a bit there. I think there is enough Intrigue and Alum base in the MPLS area that they jump at a chance to see a game not matter the opponent. Plus despite some saying they will never go, that number is low.

I also think as I stated over and over, NDSU makes it a spectacle....pushing the urge to go even more.

To the actual game it should be a lamb or a G5 team. We dont want to give any of our recruiting battles any unnecessary exposure ....gotta make it all about NDSU

HerdBot
09-24-2016, 04:55 AM

Get me a MAC or Sunbelt opponent and put it in TCF or the Vikings Stadium and I will be excited. But give me an FCS game in Target Field and it does nothing for me. I would probably go but I wouldn't be any more excited than playing Delaware State at home.

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 04:58 AM
I think it was more along the lines of people here being opposed to change and something different. Id bet it would sell out or get close as long as we are still winning. Not to mention if the opponent were UNI they'd bring some too. Its a unique opportunity for FCS schools. NDSU is one of the few that could make this happen.

I say keep UNI out of this....way out of this. by playing them in MPLS you make them relevant. Yes they are relevant, but no need to help them in that regard

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 04:59 AM
Get me a MAC or Sunbelt opponent and put it in TCF or the Vikings Stadium and I will be excited. But give me an FCS game in Target Field and it does nothing for me. I would probably go but I wouldn't be any more excited than playing Delaware State at home.

Agreed.....I'll even walk you back to your hotel...CMON that was funny!

HerdBot
09-24-2016, 05:01 AM
Agreed.....I'll even walk back to your hotel...CMON that was funny!

OK maybe just a little lol

MAKBison
09-24-2016, 05:01 AM
I don't think anyone is pissy about this. I know I'm not. I just disagree it a good idea and don't like DT MPLS. That's all. Not pissy at all.

Sent from my iPhone.

Well its always hard to tell how peeps feel when they are behind a keyboard, but I get the feeling some are pissy.

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 05:03 AM
I think it was more along the lines of people here being opposed to change and something different. Id bet it would sell out or get close as long as we are still winning. Not to mention if the opponent were UNI they'd bring some too. Its a unique opportunity for FCS schools. NDSU is one of the fee that could make this happen.

Thats the way you want to categorize it when there is opposition regardless if valid concerns or points are brought forward. It has nothing to do with with change of something different. ex put the game in the vikings stadium against Iowa in a rematch. Thats something different is it not? You dont have to do squat. That game would sell its self. Putting a FB game in a BB stadium already takes the shine off. Will we lose a home game? Nobody would care if its against Iowa right? You getting this yet? :biggrin:

StL Bison Fan
09-24-2016, 05:04 AM
I'll worry about it if it happens

MAKBison
OK maybe just a little lol

LOL......I am out. got kiddy FB in the AM.

ndsubison1
I say keep UNI out of this....way out of this. by playing them in MPLS you make them relevant. Yes they are relevant, but no need to help them in that regard

I think playing UNI would be unique, but if we were still at the top of FCS don't think the opponent would matter. I think we could still get it close to a sellout no matter the opponent.

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 05:20 AM
See I disagree a bit there. I think there is enough Intrigue and Alum base in the MPLS area that they jump at a chance to see a game not matter the opponent. Plus despite some saying they will never go, that number is low.

I also think as I stated over and over, NDSU makes it a spectacle....pushing the urge to go even more.

To the actual game it should be a lamb or a G5 team. We dont want to give any of our recruiting battles any unnecessary exposure ....gotta make it all about NDSU

If its a tomato can I can with honesty say my enthusiasm just lost 50 points on a scale of 100. Big alumni gathering? It lost its steam the 3 rd time around against the goofs. I went to all 3. Noticeable difference. I dont think this is a slam dunk unless the pull in a good team to play. I mean would you go to Mpls to watch Missouri State? And if we lost a home game over that? But I have to believe our AD is smarter than that.

CAS4127
09-24-2016, 05:36 AM

Using NDSU football in the same context as "spectacle" ??? Enough said!! Hate it!! NDSU football is neither a spectacle nor a circus.

That's what this is IMO.

Sent from my iPhone.

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 05:51 AM
Using NDSU football in the same context as "spectacle" ??? Enough said!! Hate it!! NDSU football is neither a spectacle nor a circus.

That's what this is IMO.

Sent from my iPhone.

Oh you mean its a gimmick? :rofl:

Answer Guy
09-24-2016, 06:24 AM
If successful, I could see this being semi-annual.

Twice a year?

Christopher Moen
09-24-2016, 06:55 AM
"If" this happens, I believe it will be a home and home deal with a respectable FBS program. For some odd reason, my gut feeling tells me the Bison will be taking on:

http://content.sportslogos.net/logos/30/617/full/9660_boise_state_broncos-alternate-2013.png

If not, maybe a home and home with these guys:

http://springsbargains.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/air-force-falcons-logo.jpg

thebootfitter
09-24-2016, 07:51 AM
Wow! Lots of opinions on this. That's fair, I suppose. Something different always riles up some folks. Doesn't hurt to talk about it though.

For season ticket holders... Consider that we could play this game and still have 6 home games in a 12 game year. Then you don't "lose" anything.

For anyone who doesn't want to go to a game in Mini-no-place, consider that you don't have to. Maybe this game isn't for you, just like you may not travel to Macomb, IL for a game. But there is a pretty large alumni base in the cities, and there are probably a fair number of semi-casual fans in the area as well who may attend a game.

It's also easier to get to for individuals like me who live out of state and have to fly in for games, and then have to scrounge to find tickets in the sold out Fargodome.

This game, if played, won't please everyone, but it doesn't have to. If it pleases a different crowd than season ticket holders, so be it. That's not necessarily a bad thing (especially if it can be done while keeping six home games to keep the season ticket holders happy).

Baseball stadium probably wouldn't be my first choice, but I'm sure it's way cheaper than USBank. And if well planned, might be okay.

I'd probably come.

Mr Meaty
09-24-2016, 11:58 AM

I have all of these and this is a great idea. Further expose NDSU to more people. Just last night a group of us talked about this. I am the only season ticket holder in the group. The other 5 guys said they would go and bring momm and kids along to see the game. Opponent was the only tricky part. I think many non season ticket holders would go. Heck 3 guys went to Iowa with me and none of them are season ticket holders. I am planning two other road trips for them to go with.

DakotaOkie
09-24-2016, 12:35 PM
This thread is an interesting read. A strong opponent at a neutral site would be a good ticket seller given all of the alumni in the Twin Cities. The other interesting aspect is the apparent belief that football games are somehow exclusive for season ticket holders at what is presently too small of a venue in Fargo and that season ticketers would or should be the only ones headed to the game. This would not have to be a "home" game for either team but most likely opponent that could treat this similar to NDSU would be UNI given Cedar Falls proximity to MSP area.

Mr Meaty
09-24-2016, 12:40 PM
I know it would not be a Championship game. But a question I have for season ticket holders and non-season ticket holders it, How many non season ticket holders go to Frisco each year. We have 12,000 season tickets. Of the people that have traveled with me to Frisco more than 50% are not season ticket holders. They want to see a game and also party. This game to some degree would be looked at as the same thing. I welcome all to come along and enjoy the ride that is Bison Football. Come one come all. Lets have a party.

CalBison97
09-24-2016, 12:42 PM
Wow! Lots of opinions on this. That's fair, I suppose. Something different always riles up some folks. Doesn't hurt to talk about it though.

For season ticket holders... Consider that we could play this game and still have 6 home games in a 12 game year. Then you don't "lose" anything.

For anyone who doesn't want to go to a game in Mini-no-place, consider that you don't have to. Maybe this game isn't for you, just like you may not travel to Macomb, IL for a game. But there is a pretty large alumni base in the cities, and there are probably a fair number of semi-casual fans in the area as well who may attend a game.

It's also easier to get to for individuals like me who live out of state and have to fly in for games, and then have to scrounge to find tickets in the sold out Fargodome.

This game, if played, won't please everyone, but it doesn't have to. If it pleases a different crowd than season ticket holders, so be it. That's not necessarily a bad thing (especially if it can be done while keeping six home games to keep the season ticket holders happy).

Baseball stadium probably wouldn't be my first choice, but I'm sure it's way cheaper than USBank. And if well planned, might be okay.

I'd probably come.

This ^^^^^^

Exactly how I feel.

MNLonghorn10
09-24-2016, 12:48 PM
GFY I said gangstas and thugs. Not black people.

Oh he mad now

jub1982
09-24-2016, 12:49 PM
There's going to be a huge amount of in-state opposition if this is billed as an NDSU home game played in Minneapolis. The SBHE already is going after Brescani, this will give them more ammunition.

runtheoption
09-24-2016, 12:57 PM
Do I like everything about Frisco? No, but I still go. Do I like everything about tailgating and playing games at the FargoDome? No, but I still go. Do I like everything about this proposal? No, but I would still go, because Bison, that's why.

oldmantutters
09-24-2016, 01:13 PM
I'd go. Don't care who the opponent is. I've been to target field and I've been to us bank, and I prefer target field. Granted, a baseball park wouldn't be ideal for a football game, but I can get behind this outside three box thinking.

I also understand the concerns brought up by PL, CAS and others. The last twins game I went to I walked in an area that was a bit unsavory. It was right by the homeless shelter. I haven't had any other issues and now I know to avoid that area next time.

As someone with a young child (and probably another one at least on the way) by the time this game happens, it's really not ready to get to the big away games. Sure, I'd love to have gone to k-state, and Iowa and the past few years down to Frisco. But the reality was it wasn't worth the hassle. A game down in the twin cities is much more doable.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

NDSUKurt
09-24-2016, 01:42 PM
I haven't read all the posts (on the road at a conference), but from reading the article-

I have to imagine that there are 0 serious FBS possibilities for 2018 and 2019 after we beat Iowa, so NDSU may do what Alabama does - play a neutral site game in seasons that there is no FBS game in order to increase revenue to the maximum possible.

Target Field could open the door to US Bank Stadium games, where NDSU could make just as much or more money compared to guaranteed games.

The only catch is trying to get teams that would be interesting to the fans. However, I personally don't care who we would play, I would go to every game in the Twin Cities due to travel convince and locations of friends.

bisonp
09-24-2016, 01:42 PM
Good grief, I put on my hip waders and still couldn't make it through all the BS.

If this happens I'll go. Target field is an awesome facility and even though the sightlines aren't ideal for football it will still be a fun time. And likely a lot frickin' easier to get my entire family in the door than at the Fargodome.

A1pigskin
09-24-2016, 01:47 PM
I'd go.....

IzzyFlexion
09-24-2016, 01:57 PM
September 1st, 2018: Larsen will switch the order of the home/away with Delaware. 9-1-18 = @Delaware and 2019 @NDSU.
September 8th, 2018: NDSU vs Wisconsin at Target Field.
September 15th: BYE WEEK.
September 22nd: NDSU @ Northern Illinois.
September 29th: South Dakota State @ THE NEWLY RENOVATED 31,000 seat Fargodome.

This gives them an extra month to finish the renovations.

Mr Meaty
09-24-2016, 02:00 PM
September 1st, 2018: Larsen will switch the order of the home/away with Delaware. 9-1-18 = @Delaware and 2019 @NDSU.
September 8th, 2018: NDSU vs Wisconsin at Target Field.
September 15th: BYE WEEK.
September 22nd: NDSU @ Northern Illinois.
September 29th: South Dakota State @ THE NEWLY RENOVATED 31,000 seat Fargodome.

This gives them an extra month to finish the renovations.

Is Siouxvolley your brother? purple

tony
09-24-2016, 02:16 PM
Good grief, I put on my hip waders and still couldn't make it through all the BS.

If this happens I'll go. Target field is an awesome facility and even though the sightlines aren't ideal for football it will still be a fun time. And likely a lot frickin' easier to get my entire family in the door than at the Fargodome.

Yeah, exactly this.

Besides, Think of any crazy long-term goal you have for NDSU. Now ask yourself, could this help get us there or not?

89MTBISON
09-24-2016, 02:26 PM
We would likely have to split any revenue from this game with our opponent. Let's keep a home game instead.

NDSU1980
09-24-2016, 02:33 PM
South Dakota played in Sioux Falls. I don't recall that being the greatest thing for them. It was a good thing for us, but certainly not SD. This idea needs to stop NOW.

NDSUKurt
09-24-2016, 02:56 PM
South Dakota played in Sioux Falls. I don't recall that being the greatest thing for them. It was a good thing for us, but certainly not SD. This idea needs to stop NOW.

Why does it need to stop?

Are you afraid that South Dakota fans would come in droves and buy all of our tickets if we played them in the Twin Cities?

BisonTeacher
09-24-2016, 03:02 PM

Are you really comparing Sioux Falls to Target Field? Or are you simply stating the game in Sioux falls needs to stop?

tony
09-24-2016, 03:03 PM
A. Don't think NDSU would be splitting any revenue.
B. To me, it makes the most sense to schedule a team from outside NDSU's recruiting area for this.

NDSU1980
09-24-2016, 03:06 PM
Are you really comparing Sioux Falls to Target Field? Or are you simply stating the game in Sioux falls needs to stop?

There is zero upside for us playing a game in the Twin Cities.

Mr Meaty
09-24-2016, 03:10 PM
There are CAVE people in every community.
Citizens
Against
Virtually
Everything

NDSUKurt
09-24-2016, 03:10 PM
A. Don't think NDSU would be splitting any revenue.
B. To me, it makes the most sense to schedule a team from outside NDSU's recruiting area for this.

I agree. If anything, NDSU may pay a larger guarantee, but as a negotiating point, they could tell the team they are trying to get the game with that a charter flight to Minneapolis would be cheaper than to Fargo, so that could help NDSU keep the guarantee down a little bit.

A team like Sam Houston State, Stephen F. Austin, Liberty, Jax State, James Madison, New Hampshire, Montana, William and Mary, Chatty would all be good games. (No to Montana State for the 2013 buyout and no to Northern Arizona for the 2013 refusal to play us after the buyout)

BisonTeacher
09-24-2016, 03:12 PM

So again...you are saying that because USD played a game in Sioux falls and it didn't help them therefore playing at Target Field is not helpful to NDSU? Omg. Wow.

IMO...I'd rather we play at us bank or tcf...but omg wow.

:facepalm:

El_Chapo
09-24-2016, 03:39 PM
NDSU vs "insert crappy sunbelt team" at Target Field.

Gotta play a team from south so there is zero chance they use this game as a recruiting tool.

think about that.

El_Chapo
09-24-2016, 03:40 PM

what a complete moronic thing to say. 50% of ndsu is mi nesotans. 50% of all athletic recruits amd alumni are from minnesota

NDSU IS A REGIONAL SCHOOL. ACT LIKE IT

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
09-24-2016, 03:47 PM
Completely disagree. It would be amazing if the twin cities could become a home away from home for the bison. The Fargo dome is too small for the fan base, so I'd be all for one home game every other year in the cities. Would create an opportunity for more fans to attend, plus an opportunity to attract some new fans.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Bison 4 Life
09-24-2016, 03:50 PM
Holy shit, the sky isn't falling. Schools play games in neutral field stadiums all the time. Lafayette and Lehigh played at Yankee Stadium. SFA and Sam Houston play in Reliant Stadium or whatever it's called now.

Herd890
09-24-2016, 03:53 PM
Yes
Yes
Yes
You know the alumni association will pull through
Sure. Why not.

Good post Jay as that post was rediculous. I love the "I don't agree with you so you must not be as good a fan as I am" response.

This is one of the smartest things that Matt Larsen has tried to do. Recruiting, Appeal to the cities alumni base for one game, recruiting, fund raising,continued national attention and also recruiting. I am willing to give up a weekend in the West lot for this and drive 4 hours. Would be interested to see the revenue projections for us for Playing at TF vs a home game. This is an opportunity to continue to grow our brand...plain and simple.

HerdBot
09-24-2016, 04:23 PM

Completely disagree. It would be amazing if the twin cities could become a home away from home for the bison. The Fargo dome is too small for the fan base, so I'd be all for one home game every other year in the cities. Would create an opportunity for more fans to attend, plus an opportunity to attract some new fans.

There is a ton of upside but only if the opponent is right. I'm still not that excited about Target Field. TCF or the Vikings Stadium would truly be awesome.. People just want to see the Vikings Stadium because it's new and tough to get tickets

BisoninNWMN
09-24-2016, 04:24 PM
This is a great idea!!!

I would support this 100%

ndsubison1
09-24-2016, 04:25 PM
There's going to be a huge amount of in-state opposition if this is billed as an NDSU home game played in Minneapolis. The SBHE already is going after Brescani, this will give them more ammunition.

i want to laugh but it wouldn't surprise me

td577
09-24-2016, 04:26 PM
I think it is intriguing. I see TCF mentioned as what some fans would like considered. I don't think that will ever happen. The goofers don't have enough self-confidence to sign off on that one. I agree with some that it has to be an opponent from a different recruiting footprint. Maybe even a funbelt school if the money could work.

Some of the things I would like to see:
1. It can't cost NDSU any money. There better be some return financially. Not just selling the game as a payback to alum or a recruiting bit. I am not saying the game has to be a financial windfall, just make sure it can reasonably pass the break-even point.
2. Target field should be big enough season ticket holders can be taken care of first. Just going by points should still get every season ticket holder into the game.
3. There has to be a decent sponsor tie in. The school cannot count on ticket buyers to completely fund this and expect both a turnout and a profit.
4. I am not a fan of gimmicks, but I don't have a problem with branching out to allow more accessibility. I hope there will be some research by the marketing department this would draw people.
5. With the lightrail, there will be opportunities for tailgating.

I am not overly excited about this but I am not against it either. I don't see the twin cities as being the Bison's home away from home. There just isn't many alternatives to reach out and have a stadium with the capacity in a community with Bison alumni as a focal point. If Bismarck was a large city with a 40k seat stadium, I think you could sell that in a heartbeat to everybody. The Bismarck Bowl and the 5k some capacity isn't going to cut it.

ndsubison1
09-24-2016, 04:26 PM
do i like everything about frisco? No, but i still go. Do i like everything about tailgating and playing games at the fargodome? No, but i still go. Do i like everything about this proposal? No, but i would still go, because bison, that's why.

do you even wear yellow???

ndsubison1
09-24-2016, 04:32 PM
I have all of these and this is a great idea. Further expose NDSU to more people. Just last night a group of us talked about this. I am the only season ticket holder in the group. The other 5 guys said they would go and bring momm and kids along to see the game. Opponent was the only tricky part. I think many non season ticket holders would go. Heck 3 guys went to Iowa with me and none of them are season ticket holders. I am planning two other road trips for them to go with.

But but they're not going to take season ticket holders/TeamMakers into account. /Purple

ndsubison1
09-24-2016, 04:36 PM
This thread is an interesting read. A strong opponent at a neutral site would be a good ticket seller given all of the alumni in the Twin Cities. The other interesting aspect is the apparent belief that football games are somehow exclusive for season ticket holders at what is presently too small of a venue in Fargo and that season ticketers would or should be the only ones headed to the game. This would not have to be a "home" game for either team but most likely opponent that could treat this similar to NDSU would be UNI given Cedar Falls proximity to MSP area.

UNI makes the most sense weither they're a strong recruiting rival or not. It still would make it more unique instead of a Missouri State or East Tenn St. Doesnt stop Oklahoma and Texas from playing in Dallas. Florida-Georgia in Jacksonville. One time deal.

ndsubison1
09-24-2016, 04:39 PM
Good post Jay as that post was rediculous. I love the "I don't agree with you so you must not be as good a fan as I am" response.

This is one of the smartest things that Matt Larsen has tried to do. Recruiting, Appeal to the cities alumni base for one game, recruiting, fund raising,continued national attention and also recruiting. I am willing to give up a weekend in the West lot for this and drive 4 hours. Would be interested to see the revenue projections for us for Playing at TF vs a home game. This is an opportunity to continue to grow our brand...plain and simple.

The funny thing is PL got most of those wrong about me LOL.

HerdBot
09-24-2016, 04:41 PM

Even though I am kind of meh on the game until details of an opponent emerge, I am glad we have an AD who gets it and is willing to think outside the box and understands Minnesota is our #1 market. We gotta remember the 2006 Gophers game was a huge turning point in Bison history. But like I said before... It's all about the opponent. Even casual fans in the Twin Cities could care less about a shitty opponent

BisonAccountant44
09-24-2016, 04:42 PM

Were you at either Gopher game or the Kansas Bball game? Minneapolis is absolutely hands down home away from home. It is the 2nd largest concentration of alumni outside of Fargo, and I'm far from the only Bison clad vehicle driving 4 hours East 6 Saturday's a year.

There will be a sponser, ML is smart enough to not alienate season ticket holders with this, smart enough to know this needs to be a big opponent, etc. Like someone said earlier (Tony?) think of every long term goal we have for NDSU and come up with a legitimate reason that this doesn't do anything but help all of those. This does remind me a lot of the GameDay to downtown announcement, let's step off the ledge and enjoy this. I know my friends are, I already have 10 season ticket holders planning on staying at my house for this so the excitement is there.

NDSUKurt
09-24-2016, 04:47 PM
I think it is intriguing. I see TCF mentioned as what some fans would like considered. I don't think that will ever happen. The goofers don't have enough self-confidence to sign off on that one. I agree with some that it has to be an opponent from a different recruiting footprint. Maybe even a funbelt school if the money could work.

1. It can't cost NDSU any money. There better be some return financially. Not just selling the game as a payback to alum or a recruiting bit. I am not saying the game has to be a financial windfall, just make sure it can reasonably pass the break-even point.
2. Target field should be big enough season ticket holders can be taken care of first. Just going by points should still get every season ticket holder into the game.
3. There has to be a decent sponsor tie in. The school cannot count on ticket buyers to completely fund this and expect both a turnout and a profit.
4. I am not a fan of gimmicks, but I don't have a problem with branching out to allow more accessibility. I hope there will be some research by the marketing department this would draw people.

I am not overly excited about this but I am not against it either. I don't see the twin cities as being the Bison's home away from home. There just isn't many alternatives to reach out and have a stadium with the capacity in a community with Bison alumni as a focal point. If Bismarck was a large city with a 40k seat stadium, I think you could sell that in a heartbeat to everybody. The Bismarck Bowl and the 5k some capacity isn't going to cut it.

I don't think this would be a problem. There are plenty of companies would spend some money to put their name on a game like this. They may not pay the $5-$10 million or more that Chick Fil A or the other neutral site games pay, but other companies would pay less. Heck, one of my friends works for Hy-vee and he told me that they are opening many new stores in the twin cities over the next few years. This would be an opportunity to expand their name. (I am not sayting they would/will be a sponsor; I am using them as an example).

Depending on when the game was, I could see NDSU getting 40,000 plus fans at a game in the Twin Cities no problem - especially if the game was over a long weekend and there was another game going on at the same weekend.

Bison03
09-24-2016, 04:50 PM
No way this is a conference game and no way this would be uni. And who cares if its a crap opponent? Its about the event even more then the game. When we played ferris state, were people less excited because of the opponent? No, people partied and tailgated and had a blast at the game. I dont expect or care if casual fans want to go to the game. There are enougj Bison fans from Fargp, from minnesota, and from minneapolis that would fill target field and be a great time. Play Butler or some other team we would beat, Bison fans party and celebrate a win at a game with the most Bison fans at a game in history!!

aces1180
09-24-2016, 05:35 PM
How many people go to NDSU night at Target Field to watch a shitty Twins team?

It's about excitement, exposure, uniqueness and of course the Bison.

If people don't get the best seats, tailgating spots and have to drive in the cities, so be it...They don't have to go.

I'm fairly confident it will still sell out and be a success.

And if people withhold their donations and not renew their season tickets, were they really fans anyway?

Let's get it done...I don't care if they play Drake or Wisconsin, I think this would be awesome.

Bison 4 Life
09-24-2016, 05:41 PM
How many people go to NDSU night at Target Field to watch a shitty Twins team?

It's about excitement, exposure, uniqueness and of course the Bison.

If people don't get the best seats, tailgating spots and have to drive in the cities, so be it...They don't have to go.

I'm fairly confident it will still sell out and be a success.

And if people withhold their donations and not renew their season tickets, were they really fans anyway?

Let's get it done...I don't care if they play Drake or Wisconsin, I think this would be awesome.

4,000 and many bitched they didn't know about it and couldn't go. I drove 7 hrs each way to go to that. Twins got smoked but it was a blast!

CAS4127
09-24-2016, 05:46 PM
Bring in App. State or Georgia Southern and I may change my mind on this.

Sent from my iPhone.

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 05:47 PM

You miss the context of my post because you dont know the person I was responding to.

yopaulie
09-24-2016, 06:10 PM
Would we ever do a non-conference game against a Mvfc team (ie play them twice) - could see uni or sdsu selling well.

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 06:14 PM
Would we ever do a non-conference game against a Mvfc team (ie play them twice) - could see uni or sdsu selling well.

I cant see that happening. Heck we hate having to play conference mates in the playoffs. That would leave the possibility of playing them 3 times in one year.

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 06:19 PM

Nice well reasoned post.

No_Skill
09-24-2016, 06:20 PM
I cant see that happening. Heck we hate having to play conference mates in the playoffs. That would leave the possibility of playing them 3 times in one year.

Plus, they would want a cut of the gate or a larger contract. This is designed by NDSU for NDSU.

App St. or Georgia Southern would be cool, but they would require a huge contract. This will likely be an eastern FCS team out of our footprint. They even hinted at it in the article basically stating the opponent won't matter. It'll be an FCS cupcake team.

HerdBot
09-24-2016, 07:30 PM
Plus, they would want a cut of the gate or a larger contract. This is designed by NDSU for NDSU.

App St. or Georgia Southern would be cool, but they would require a huge contract. This will likely be an eastern FCS team out of our footprint. They even hinted at it in the article basically stating the opponent won't matter. It'll be an FCS cupcake team.

If it's an FCS Cupcake team, it's going to be an average turnout. An average turnout is not impressive and goes against the whole reasoning for doing it. Not going to wow recruits by bringing them to a ho hum game that has no energy , half capacity, and is empty by halftime.

Now if we can sell 40k tickets and have an amazing atmosphere and put on a great show... That would be awesome.

Gully
09-24-2016, 07:35 PM
It will sell out.

Hint, the 19000 fans in Fargo aren't the same 19000 fans on Frisco. Maybe a 50% overlap. This type of spectacle would tap into both groups. A great opponent would be gravy.

HerdBot
09-24-2016, 07:46 PM
It will sell out.

Hint, the 19000 fans in Fargo aren't the same 19000 fans on Frisco. Maybe a 50% overlap. This type of spectacle would tap into both groups. A great opponent would be gravy.

Your not actually comparing fans who travel from sub zero Fargo to Frisco Texas for the National Championship in January to fans who will drive to watch us beat Austin Peay in Minnesota.

The USD game in Sioux Falls drew 9269 And at least a quarter of those fans were USD fans... And the stadium wasn't sold out. Fans knew it would be a boring blowout so we had a whopping 6k fans, if that, drive 3 hours to Sioux Falls.

I think Matt Larson is totally over estimating our fan base. They travel for good games. Key word good games.

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 07:52 PM
Your not actually comparing fans who travel from sub zero Fargo to Frisco Texas for the National Championship in January to fans who will drive to watch us beat Austin Peay in Minnesota.

The USD game in Sioux Falls drew 9269 And at least a quarter of those fans were USD fans... And the stadium wasn't sold out. Fans knew it would be a blowout sobwe had a whopping 6k fans drive 3 hours

If its a cupcake it has to be the first game of the season. If its not the first game the opponent has to be good. IMO

HerdBot
09-24-2016, 07:55 PM
]

If its a cupcake it has to be the first game of the season. If its not the first game the opponent has to be good. IMO

First game in Fargo people just want to tailgate and watch a game. Tailgating weather is great. We would draw 19k vs Jamestown. Maybe we could raise the National Championship banner in Minneapolis. :rofl:

BisonCountry
09-24-2016, 08:02 PM

The USD game in Sioux Falls drew 9269 And at least a quarter of those fans were USD fans... And the stadium wasn't sold out. Fans knew it would be a boring blowout so we had a whopping 6k fans, if that, drive 3 hours to Sioux Falls.

I think Matt Larson is totally over estimating our fan base. They travel for good games. Key word good games.

However we could put Jamestown in the dome and draw 19k.

And you don't think the number of NDSU Alum/Fans that live in the Minneapolis Metro dwarf the numbers in Sioux Falls? Poor comparison. Also that game was a USD home game and they held it there to boost their athletics not us. I don't really care that much one way of the other, but if the Target Field game happens there will be 25K+ NDSU fans there.