PDA

View Full Version : 2016 enrollment numbers

NDSU1980
09-21-2016, 03:06 AM
Well we are closing the gap on being #1. We dropped a few and UN_ dropped more. http://www.inforum.com/news/4119552-enrollment-numbers-decline-slightly-nd-colleges-universities

tony
09-21-2016, 12:14 PM
Not sure I want to use UND for a benchmark in anything at this point. Aim higher.

NDSU1952
09-21-2016, 04:47 PM
Not sure I want to use UND for a benchmark in anything at this point. Aim higher.

I thought this time last year, President Bresciani had a goal of 18,000 in 5 years. Maybe that has been scrapped. A dip, even if very slight, does not bode well to reaching their goals.

1998braves64
09-21-2016, 06:11 PM
Semi related, anyone know about a supposed high rise NDSU may be putting up? Heard about it at work but haven't heard it here. Assuming they're still trying to alleviate some of the pressure of on campus housing? Or is Bresciani still moving forward with increasing enrollment (likely)?

roadwarrior
09-21-2016, 06:14 PM
Semi related, anyone know about a supposed high rise NDSU may be putting up? Heard about it at work but haven't heard it here. Assuming they're still trying to alleviate some of the pressure of on campus housing? Or is Bresciani still moving forward with increasing enrollment (likely)?

Yes, they advertised for engineering/design services for it recently.

offroader613
09-21-2016, 06:38 PM

I've heard it'll be located on the west side of the current high rises, think there's a basketball court where they want to put it. Would be like sophomore level housing, apartment style like the Living Learning Center buildings are. Something how sophomores are always the last to get a pick for on-campus housing (non-freshmen of course), and there's always a shortage since a few floors of Pavek had been converted from upperclassmen to freshmen housing.

tony
09-21-2016, 07:08 PM
I thought this time last year, President Bresciani had a goal of 18,000 in 5 years. Maybe that has been scrapped. A dip, even if very slight, does not bode well to reaching their goals.

Well, I'm pretty sure that the Chancellor came out and put the kibosh on that plan the very next day.

Bison"FANatic"
09-21-2016, 07:15 PM
Is it just me or is there a difference in the minor headlines in the article.

Herd Mentality
09-22-2016, 04:39 AM
I've heard it'll be located on the west side of the current high rises, think there's a basketball court where they want to put it. Would be like sophomore level housing, apartment style like the Living Learning Center buildings are. Something how sophomores are always the last to get a pick for on-campus housing (non-freshmen of course), and there's always a shortage since a few floors of Pavek had been converted from upperclassmen to freshmen housing.

So there's been a shortage for sophmores since the 90s?

ndsubison1
02-06-2017, 06:59 PM
Didnt want to start a new thread but this wont look good http://bismarcktribune.com/news/state-and-regional/disabled-student-fires-back-against-north-dakota-university/article_825fab93-a6c8-5603-9bb6-c97232d0dd58.html

tjbison
02-06-2017, 07:05 PM
Didnt want to start a new thread but this wont look good http://bismarcktribune.com/news/state-and-regional/disabled-student-fires-back-against-north-dakota-university/article_825fab93-a6c8-5603-9bb6-c97232d0dd58.html

oh, boy

here we go

Bison bison
02-06-2017, 07:08 PM

Dude.

The state has proposed cutting NDSU's budget by as much as 26.5%. How the hell could that happen and enrollment increase by 20%?

NDSU1952
02-06-2017, 11:42 PM
Dude.

The state has proposed cutting NDSU's budget by as much as 26.5%. How the hell could that happen and enrollment increase by 20%?

I posted that comment back in September of 2016.

Today with the budget news, that enrollment goal is obviously one of the least concerns. Much bigger fish to fry.

cbline
02-07-2017, 01:03 PM

Let the process work itself out. I worked in special education for 31 years in North Dakota, and once during that time a parent filed a complaint with OCR saying that we had discriminated against her child because of a disability (FYI - claim was unsubstantiated, and OCR found entirely with the school). OCR obviously knows the in's and out's of what is a reasonable accommodation and what is not. Just because an allegation is made, that does not mean it is valid. We shall see how this turns out.

NDSU_grad
02-07-2017, 01:40 PM
Let the process work itself out. I worked in special education for 31 years in North Dakota, and once during that time a parent filed a complaint with OCR saying that we had discriminated against her child because of a disability (FYI - claim was unsubstantiated, and OCR found entirely with the school). OCR obviously knows the in's and out's of what is a reasonable accommodation and what is not. Just because an allegation is made, that does not mean it is valid. We shall see how this turns out.
Hopefully NDSU administration documented everything in this case. This girl doesn't have the maturity or ambition to make it through NDSU's pharmacy program, and hopefully that comes out. And no, I'm not making assumptions, I have some knowledge of the situation.

bisonp
02-07-2017, 03:57 PM

The Forum mentions that NDSU claims they made the change due to new accreditation requirements. You'd think journalists would be able to easily verify that one way or the other. Unless it doesn't fit their sensationalist agenda, that is.

I don't know much about the case, but I'm very skeptical that having somebody else perform curriculum tasks for you is a "reasonable" accommodation or something that would translate to a real job.

Bison bison
02-07-2017, 04:01 PM
I posted that comment back in September of 2016.

Today with the budget news, that enrollment goal is obviously one of the least concerns. Much bigger fish to fry.

Don't care.

I see a zombie, I shoot it in the head.

(Sorry Bill Murray)

El_Chapo
02-07-2017, 04:06 PM
Here's an IDEA FUND NDSU at other ND Colleges same level!

when dunbar hall is gonna blow up and Gate City Bank is sponsoring/paying for Stevens Auditorium..... there wont be money left for reconfiguring the pharmacy dept. sorry, this is on the NDUS and SBOHE, not NDSU

cbline
02-07-2017, 04:21 PM
The Forum mentions that NDSU claims they made the change due to new accreditation requirements. You'd think journalists would be able to easily verify that one way or the other. Unless it doesn't fit their sensationalist agenda, that is.

I don't know much about the case, but I'm very skeptical that having somebody else perform curriculum tasks for you is a "reasonable" accommodation or something that would translate to a real job.

That was our thought around the work lunch table yesterday. Someone brought up being a surgeon: you may have the knowledge of what to do, but you also must be able to physically manipulate a scalpel. Some jobs have fundamental physical requirements that cannot be accommodated.

THEsocalledfan
02-07-2017, 07:39 PM
I will comment on this as a practicing pharmacist only, not knowing any specifics of this case.

The primary areas of pharmacy practice are community/retail pharmacy (what most think of with pharmacists), hospital (much more a day to day dispensing and collaborating with medical/nursing staff to care for patients), and clinical roles (usually managing drugs/diseases under protocol; this is what I do). For each you would need (bare minimums physical skills off the top of my head):

1. For community, you have to be able to physically manipulate items with your hands. You also need key boarding skills and ability to make/receive phone calls. You also need to be able to effectively communicate with patients.
2. For hospital, probably very similar to number 1.
3. For clinical roles, really more about key boarding and interacting/communicating with other health professionals and patients. You also need to be able to do this efficiently.

So, again, I know nothing of the case, but I hope all can appreciate it would be challenge for some with physical disabilities as many of these are hard to accommodate even with modern technology.

just my two cents

Grizzled
02-07-2017, 07:59 PM
I will comment on this as a practicing pharmacist only, not knowing any specifics of this case.

The primary areas of pharmacy practice are community/retail pharmacy (what most think of with pharmacists), hospital (much more a day to day dispensing and collaborating with medical/nursing staff to care for patients), and clinical roles (usually managing drugs/diseases under protocol; this is what I do). For each you would need (bare minimums physical skills off the top of my head):

1. For community, you have to be able to physically manipulate items with your hands. You also need key boarding skills and ability to make/receive phone calls. You also need to be able to effectively communicate with patients.
2. For hospital, probably very similar to number 1.
3. For clinical roles, really more about key boarding and interacting/communicating with other health professionals and patients. You also need to be able to do this efficiently.

So, again, I know nothing of the case, but I hope all can appreciate it would be challenge for some with physical disabilities as many of these are hard to accommodate even with modern technology.

just my two cents

Are there positions out there that a pharmacy degree would be a qualification but you are not doing any tasks above? Some form of consulting or online observation for smaller pharmacies that perhaps only have techs part of the time. Some careers are changing so quickly with technology that what a position is today will be different 2 years from now.

THEsocalledfan
02-08-2017, 12:57 PM
Are there positions out there that a pharmacy degree would be a qualification but you are not doing any tasks above? Some form of consulting or online observation for smaller pharmacies that perhaps only have techs part of the time. Some careers are changing so quickly with technology that what a position is today will be different 2 years from now.

Perhaps, but use of computers would almost certainly be a big part of any role, not to mention you need a lot of experience to get consulting gigs like I do (a side business of mine). Now, can technology solve that? Maybe. Just to reiterate, I know nothing on this case, other than the little bit of the article. I just want to speak as someone who actually works the role as a Pharm. D.

Bison bison
02-08-2017, 02:05 PM
We all know you're a capital d, tscf.

WePharm
02-10-2017, 02:25 PM
I know of many people who have their pharmacy degree and have used it to prepare them for med or dental school, have used it to get jobs in the pharmaceutical industry, work at National Institutes of Health, manage clinics or hospitals, and work for pharmacy benefit providers...the specific insurance companies that provide your drug plans. Many non traditional roles out there.

WePharm
02-10-2017, 02:28 PM
Also a number of those positions I mentioned can be done at home with a laptop & a strong cup of coffee.

El_Chapo
04-03-2020, 01:32 AM
I cant' find the 2019-2020 enrollment thread.
but in inforum ndsu/und chinese flu article i found this:

Over the past five years, about 30% of NDSU's student population has lived on campus, according to numbers from the university. The school enrolled 13,173 students this fall.

As of Thursday, 230 students were still living in residence halls on the NDSU campus, compared to 2,652 students before spring break, Rawlings said.

UND, which had a fall population of 13,581 students, had 1,872 living on campus in the spring before remote learning was implemented last month.

they are ahead by 400? but have 4000 online? or what.

Bison bison
04-03-2020, 02:33 AM
Also a number of those positions I mentioned can be done at home with a laptop & a strong cup of coffee.

Thanks.

My wife and I are trying to spice things up a bit.

El_Chapo
04-03-2020, 03:01 AM
thanks.

My wife and i are trying to spice things up a bit.

quarantining the right way