PDA

View Full Version : Things to clean up going into conference play

tony
09-20-2016, 01:39 PM
I'll start.

Stop trying to stiff arm defenders who are behind you. If they go for your legs, it's useless. If they are going for the strip, all you are doing is giving them a clear shot at the ball.

FrozenTech
09-20-2016, 01:46 PM
Someone needs to step up and be Deluca the rest of this year. That's gonna be tough.

No more 3-5 sets, ever.

Stick needs to be a little more careful about where he slings it in tight coverage.

Kuhnert needs to get the jitters out. No more high snaps.

And our long snapper needs to get his snap dialed in. He's blown it on most of Cam's misses this year. I don't know who he is - but if he doesn't clean up I'm going to, and you're *not* supposed to know who the Long snapper is.

BisonNation11
09-20-2016, 02:47 PM
No more running stride for stride with receivers and not turning around to find the ball. Inexcusable.

No more weak punts. Grab life by the horns young man and boom it like we know you can. I will say his ability to down it inside the 15 at Iowa was wonderful.

No more safe coverage defenses. Be aggressive. It's what got us where we are.

No more soft refs. This is football. People will get hit, hard. People will get blocked, hard.

coloradobison
09-20-2016, 03:02 PM
Grimsley needs to quit getting beat deep.

BisonAccountant44
09-20-2016, 03:31 PM
Someone needs to step up and be Deluca the rest of this year. That's gonna be tough.

No more 3-5 sets, ever.

Stick needs to be a little more careful about where he slings it in tight coverage.

Kuhnert needs to get the jitters out. No more high snaps.

And our long snapper needs to get his snap dialed in. He's blown it on most of Cam's misses this year. I don't know who he is - but if he doesn't clean up I'm going to, and you're *not* supposed to know who the Long snapper is.

I think a lot of what makes people nervous about Easton throwing (at least I think it's what makes me nervous) is it feels a little "I saw Carson make this throw so I can make this throw" from time to time and his arm strength isn't quite there, but it's better than Brock's was so he hasn't paid too dearly for it yet, but he's been close. Also to get that extra oomph on it, he goes into the big windup and that extra 1/2-1 second has caused a couple of sacks.

That being said, all the positives about him that you hear from the staff appear to be true and then some. He's a winner, the leader of this team, knows the offense, hasn't made any of the big mistakes and he's only a Sophomore so those things will only continue to get better over the next 2 years. How crazy is that? We have him improving over the next 2 1/2 seasons left to look forward to...the kid is going to be a beast as a Sr.

FrozenTech
09-20-2016, 03:37 PM
I think a lot of what makes people nervous about Easton throwing (at least I think it's what makes me nervous) is it feels a little "I saw Carson make this throw so I can make this throw" from time to time and his arm strength isn't quite there, but it's better than Brock's was so he hasn't paid too dearly for it yet, but he's been close. Also to get that extra oomph on it, he goes into the big windup and that extra 1/2-1 second has caused a couple of sacks.

That being said, all the positives about him that you hear from the staff appear to be true and then some. He's a winner, the leader of this team, knows the offense, hasn't made any of the big mistakes and he's only a Sophomore so those things will only continue to get better over the next 2 years. How crazy is that? We have him improving over the next 2 1/2 seasons left to look forward to...the kid is going to be a beast as a Sr.

Oh, I totally agree. The kid can sling it *way* better then Brock could at this point in his career. But I still get the heebie jeebies when they go real deep. That one handed catch by Anderson I'm still trying to figure out how he caught it in that traffic. That one nearly gave me a coronary.

MAKBison
09-20-2016, 03:43 PM
Oh, I totally agree. The kid can sling it *way* better then Brock could at this point in his career. But I still get the heebie jeebies when they go real deep. That one handed catch by Anderson I'm still trying to figure out how he caught it in that traffic. That one nearly gave me a coronary.

These types of comments are very much like the ones you will find early in the CW thread.

GOBISON123
09-20-2016, 04:14 PM
QB should slide and avoid head on collusion with the defenders.
Ball tracking skills by our DBs.

Christopher Moen
09-20-2016, 04:26 PM
Bruce Mack-trucking defenders - more please!!!

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-20-2016, 04:54 PM
Pass D is still a little shaky, but when we offset that with blitz packages, it negates any deficiencies in that department. Stick's accuracy needs to improve, but as mentioned before, he is only a sophomore, so that should improve.

The most important take away from this weekend, is the fact that if we stick with power run on O and our base 4-3 cover 2 defense, using a blitz heavy scheme on passing downs, we should beat any one in the FCS. In other words, we need to stay with our identity and not deviate from what has produced 5 national championships.

scottietohottie
09-20-2016, 05:04 PM
Let's clean up that record and win the valley outright. No hiccup game.

Hammerhead
09-20-2016, 05:10 PM
I don't know if I'd call the pass defense shaky. The Bison held Iowa to 1/2 the points they scored against a P5 and a G5 team. :)

jub1982
09-20-2016, 05:43 PM
Pass rushers need to do a better job of staying in their lanes. It was a huge problem against Eastern and one of Iowa's TD's was when the QB got out of the pocket.

cbline
09-20-2016, 06:31 PM
I need to clean up my underwear after two games in OT and then a win over a P5 team.

Bisonator98
09-20-2016, 06:56 PM
Hoping Koonce can find another 8-10 yards per punt and both he and Cam can learn to aim their kicks as well, not a fan of this right down the middle of the field stuff.

Hoping our DB's can improve. It's been deer in the headlights back there too often.

Hammerhead
09-20-2016, 09:22 PM
Desmond King is supposed to be an NFL-caliber punt returner and he didn't get to do much on punt returns. Maybe those short kicks with long hang time are by design.

X-Factor
09-20-2016, 09:51 PM
I am hoping to see more 3 down lineman and spread option as we get into conference play. I wouldn't want anyone to get hurt playing that smash mouth game we used to be good at.

td577
09-20-2016, 09:53 PM
If our safeties are supposed to be providing over the top help, I want to quit seeing them underneath.

Our d-backs either need to track the receivers or track the ball. Quit trying to do both. In college, you don't have to find the ball, but you do have to defend the pass. There is a difference. We play a hybrid man/zone with our corners playing man. They can break up passes without worrying about the ball until it is on top of them. Let the receivers tell you where the ball is and break up receptions.

I like what I have seen so far. We are seeing guys make better decisions from play to play. Not even game to game, but from one play to the next. I love DeLuca, but I think it is a position we should have a few smart enough guys ready to minimize the loss. They can't replace him, but we should have solid play from the MLB position.

MAKBison
09-20-2016, 10:02 PM
If our safeties are supposed to be providing over the top help, I want to quit seeing them underneath.

Our d-backs either need to track the receivers or track the ball. Quit trying to do both. In college, you don't have to find the ball, but you do have to defend the pass. There is a difference. We play a hybrid man/zone with our corners playing man. They can break up passes without worrying about the ball until it is on top of them. Let the receivers tell you where the ball is and break up receptions.

I like what I have seen so far. We are seeing guys make better decisions from play to play. Not even game to game, but from one play to the next. I love DeLuca, but I think it is a position we should have a few smart enough guys ready to minimize the loss. They can't replace him, but we should have solid play from the MLB position.

5 bites on the run everytime.....he will learn.

It's yet to be seen if they can replace him or not. You never know what a guy will do when he gets his chance

ndsubison1
09-21-2016, 01:36 AM
Clock management

stevdock
09-21-2016, 03:53 AM
Clock management

Times a million. I don't know if it's been all that good in any of the three games.

G_Funky
09-21-2016, 10:29 AM
coach p needs to get out of his own damn way.

SC_TX
09-21-2016, 09:06 PM
Let's clean up that record and win the valley outright. No hiccup game.

the hiccup game always seems to happen at home for some reason

semobison
09-21-2016, 11:45 PM
I think our defense can be really, really good if we stop giving up the big plays. Iowa had a 3 play 80 yard drive and EWU....well.... We are going to be very tough to run against which bodes well against UNI, Ytown and Western.

ndsubison1
09-22-2016, 03:27 AM
Desmond King is supposed to be an NFL-caliber punt returner and he didn't get to do much on punt returns. Maybe those short kicks with long hang time are by design.

He sure talked a lot of trash

bisonforever
09-22-2016, 03:41 AM
D. King is the Best football player we will see all year!

BYZEN
09-22-2016, 03:47 AM
D. King is the Best football player we will see all year and if you don't believe that, just ask him!
FWYP :biggrin:

Christopher Moen
09-22-2016, 03:54 AM

So good, he could have covered not one, but two EWU's receiver simultaneously.

GOBISON123
09-22-2016, 04:55 AM

Not exactly. He will not be the only best player we will see this year. The back 4 DBs for UNI are all 3* 4* (3 star, 4 star) FBS transfers.

Christopher Moen
09-22-2016, 04:41 PM
Not exactly. He will not be the only best player we will see this year. The back 4 DBs for UNI are all 3* 4* (3 star, 4 star) FBS transfers.

Are sure they're still 3-4 star athletes? If so, why did they transfer? I looked up every FBS DB transfer on their team, and none of them had eye-opening stats. Not saying they're not good, but lets try not to oversell them compared to their last year's defensive backfield. I will give them credit so far for defending EWU's offense better than our team did.

HerdBot
09-22-2016, 05:20 PM
Hoping Koonce can find another 8-10 yards per punt and both he and Cam can learn to aim their kicks as well, not a fan of this right down the middle of the field stuff.

Hoping our DB's can improve. It's been deer in the headlights back there too often.

He doesn't get much for distance but the returner doesn't get many returns either. If he gets an extra 10 yards the returner may return it 10 yards so I don't think it's as bad as we think. I think out kicks offs need some more improvement

Bison"FANatic"
09-22-2016, 09:06 PM
It is time for the safety play to be more consistent. Hopefully we see it with more consistent offenses from week to week now instead of triple option, to all out air attack, to a balanced big 10 type O.

BisonNeil
09-23-2016, 02:23 AM
I don't know if I'd call the pass defense shaky. The Bison held Iowa to 1/2 the points they scored against a P5 and a G5 team. :)
I would call it shaky. Ferentz got out coached. Iowa scored on long pass plays where the pass defense totally broke down. If Ferentz isn't a dumbass, they simply let their QB pass the Bison to death, as they had for 21 pts. He screwed up and wanted his team to exert their will. If they would have stuck with the pass they could have done a lot of damage. The secondary is not very good, it is a team effort back there and none are very impressive right now.

56BISON73
09-23-2016, 02:34 AM
I would call it shaky. Ferentz got out coached. Iowa scored on long pass plays where the pass defense totally broke down. If Ferentz isn't a dumbass, they simply let their QB pass the Bison to death, as they had for 21 pts. He screwed up and wanted his team to exert their will. If they would have stuck with the pass they could have done a lot of damage. The secondary is not very good, it is a team effort back there and none are very impressive right now.

As I watched the game I couldnt believe they werent going over the top. Especially with their guys getting behind us and our breakdown in coverages again.

Bison Bridge Guy
09-23-2016, 02:45 AM
As I watched the game I couldnt believe they werent going over the top. Especially with their guys getting behind us and our breakdown in coverages again.

Maybe their fans yell great advice like "run the damn ball" too and he was trying to appease them. Maybe they were frustrated that they weren't playing "Iowa" football. :hide:

(I don't mean anything by quoting you - just wanted context.)

Bison03
09-23-2016, 05:47 PM
Chuck South and EWU were styles of football that we don't see often and are tough to prepare for. Before last weeks game I said that we match up better with Iowa then the previous two teams. With most teams in the Valley being a run first, time of possession, slow grinding offense with stout defense; I see the conference schedule with many games we should win. Always need to clean up things, which we will. If we can get better each week like last year; look out.

yopaulie
09-25-2016, 03:00 AM
Maybe their fans yell great advice like "run the damn ball" too and he was trying to appease them. Maybe they were frustrated that they weren't playing "Iowa" football. :hide:

(I don't mean anything by quoting you - just wanted context.)

Saying "Run the Damn Ball" when you are averaging 1.4 yds/carry, and saying "Run the Damn Ball" when you are averaging 5 yds/carry (and throwing it to your Left Tackle) are kind of two different things. Pretty sure the Iowa fans weren't rooting for inside runs on 1st and 2nd down on their last drive.