PDA

View Full Version : Bison coaches

Kujava23
09-18-2016, 04:48 PM
Bison Coaches continue to keep the players FOCUSED on the task at hand---not an easy thing in today's technology age.

Prepare players each week----keep players humble and hungry

OUR COACHES ARE SPECIAL---and work their tail off!!!

They PUT our PLAYERS in positions to be successful & our PLAYERS have been trained to perform at a high level

Practices are fast paced and well organized----Players compete each day

Only way this DYNASTY ends---if we lose our coaches---and replacement is not a part of the Bison Culture aka Babich

Gene Taylor did a great job of hiring Chris Klieman who knew HOW Bison Football wins games---DEFENSE and RUN THE BALL

He did a great job of hiring a coaching staff to execute that----I just PRAY that we are lucky enough to keep our coaches and run going!!

HerdBot
09-18-2016, 05:34 PM
Absolutely. When Bohl left, Gene Taylor made the brilliant decision to promote from within to maintain continuity. Then Klieman was even more brilliant by keeping as many coaches as possible and bringing back former coaches like Tyler Roehl, Polasek, and other coaches he's worked with who knew the conference and made THEM learn the Bison system. (or in Polasek and Roehls case, knew the system)

The only way we could mess this up is if we lose coaches, don't hire from within, and change our systems

Klieman was the perfect hire and then he made the perfect hires. These guys know the type of kids to recruit, our recruiting area, know how to develop players, and the Missouri Valley.

Christopher Moen
09-18-2016, 05:37 PM
Absolutely. When Bohl left, Gene Taylor made the brilliant decision to promote from within to maintain continuity. Then Klieman was even more brilliant by keeping as many coaches as possible and bringing back former coaches like Tyler Roehl and other coaches he's worked with or knew the conference and made THEM learn the Bison system.

The only way we could mess this up is if we lose coaches, don't hire from within, and change our systems

Speaking of Roehl, he's my prediction to get the HC job when Klieman gets a P5 offer.

BisoninNWMN
09-18-2016, 05:38 PM
Coach P went back to the I-formation and power running in the 2nd half and crushed Iowa. Coaches made adjustments.

CAS4127
09-18-2016, 05:39 PM
Speaking of Roehl, he's my prediction to get the HC job when Klieman gets a P5 offer.

He's not ready to be a HC yet IMO.

Sent from my iPhone.

HerdBot
09-18-2016, 05:50 PM

Well we're kind of getting ahead of ourselves because he doesn't have an offer obviously but if it were to happen, The cupboard isn't bare.

Personally I would predict Polasek or Hedberg but I really have no idea. I think Polasek could even be a better head coach than offensive coordinator. He certainly has personality for the job.

Roehl is still a bit too young. Have to be a coordinator first IMO

bloodmakesthegrassgrow
09-18-2016, 05:54 PM

Sent from my iPhone.

I emphatically agree.

GreenfieldBison
09-18-2016, 05:54 PM
Well we're kind of getting ahead of ourselves because he doesn't have an offer obviously but if it were to happen, The cupboard isn't bare. Personally I would predict Polasek or Hedberg but I really have no idea. I think Polasek could even be a better head coach than offensive coordinator. He certainly has personality for the job.

Roehl is still a bit too young. Have to be a coordinator first IMO

CK still has at least one still in high school doesn't he?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ndsubison1
09-18-2016, 08:43 PM
Im afraid Iowa St will go after Klieman down the road

scottietohottie
09-18-2016, 08:48 PM

They'd be better off going for Polasek. That guy has FBS potential.

Bisonator98
09-18-2016, 08:53 PM
Whatever NDSU has to do they need to somehow sign Coach Kramer to a lifetime contract.

ZHerd
09-18-2016, 08:53 PM

I was thinking this yesterday and as much as I want to see Klieman succeed wherever he would go, that one could really end up hurting NDSU...that is, if he pulls a Bohl and tries to recruit every single guy we go after. Maybe he wouldn't do that (though if he had trouble establishing pipelines elsewhere his current grounds would be an easy fallback) but if he did it would hurt us. I don't want to see him in a neighboring state

BisManBison
09-18-2016, 08:54 PM
I wonder if we could get G Olsen back here?

OrygunBison
09-18-2016, 08:54 PM

Sweet sexy Moses...slow yer Roehl. He's young enough to be my kid. Hell, he's young enough to be PL's great, great grandson.

HandoEX
09-18-2016, 10:11 PM
One coach left his mark on yesterday's more than any other and his name is Kramer. Put a statue of him outside the dome ASAP.

MAKBison
09-18-2016, 10:16 PM
Whatever NDSU has to do they need to somehow sign Coach Kramer to a lifetime contract.

What helps with Kramer is that he is not really paid like a coach. He is paid like a state employee, thus retirement becomes more of an issue.

td577
09-18-2016, 10:23 PM
What helps with Kramer is that he is not really paid like a coach. He is paid like a state employee, thus retirement becomes more of an issue.

Well, Chris Doyle at Iowa makes $515k a year. I bet Iowa would trade today on the spot. At half a million a year, you could come up with some more creative ways with a retirement plan than what the state is offering.

MAKBison
09-18-2016, 10:28 PM
Well, Chris Doyle at Iowa makes $515k a year. I bet Iowa would trade today on the spot. At half a million a year, you could come up with some more creative ways with a retirement plan than what the state is offering.

Depends were Krammer is at with retirement and being vested etc. Taking the big chunk of change to give up 30 years of guaranteed $$$ may or may not be worth it. Sure at some point the $$$ is big enough were it makes sense....Or the time is right were it makes senses. But if a guy is 2 years away from being vested etc (we have no clue) it makes more sense to stay put for 2 years. The big pay check will still be there in 2 years. Its kinda like CB, he jumped at the $$$.... if he would hang around another 2 years and played the smart $$$$, he would be a Gopher making twice the coin.

td577
09-18-2016, 10:34 PM
Depends were Krammer is at with retirement and being vested etc. Taking the big chunk of change to give up 30 years of guaranteed $$$ may or may not be worth it. Sure at some point the $$$ is big enough were it makes sense....Or the time is right were it makes senses. But if a guy is 2 years away from being vested etc (we have no clue) it makes more sense to stay put for 2 years. The big pay check will still be there in 2 years. Its kinda like CB, he jumped at the $$$.... if he would hang around another 2 years and played the smart $$$$, he would be a Gopher making twice the coin.

My wife worked for the state for 10 years and is vested. Kramer has been here for 13, so he is good to go. I would be surprised if he hasn't gotten offers already. I am sure he is either quite content with where he is at or will only jump at what he thinks is the perfect offer.

DCinOK
09-18-2016, 10:36 PM
Does anyone know the in-season weightlifting workouts for the Bison? How many days...which days...early mornings?....evenings? Not trying to give away State Secrets, but we all are impressed with what Jim Kramer has done with the team and I am just really curious about what they do.

MAKBison
09-18-2016, 10:40 PM
My wife worked for the state for 10 years and is vested. Kramer has been here for 13, so he is good to go. I would be surprised if he hasn't gotten offers already. I am sure he is either quite content with where he is at or will only jump at what he thinks is the perfect offer.

What are the retirement rungs when does he meet the next one etc.? All I am saying is you have to look at that. no one gives up free $$$.

Christopher Moen
09-19-2016, 03:00 AM
Does anyone know the in-season weightlifting workouts for the Bison? How many days...which days...early mornings?....evenings? Not trying to give away State Secrets, but we all are impressed with what Jim Kramer has done with the team and I am just really curious about what they do.

I believe the work-outs are specific to each type of athlete. For example, when Coach Kramer was at the USOTC, I didn't have the same plan as Apolo Anton Ohno, who could out leg-press anyone on complex.

What made Kramer's work-outs different than other Strength and Conditioning coaches was the intensity. The work-outs were quick, exhausting and you were pushed to your physical limit. Plus, Kramer didn't allow you to cheat yourself.

56BISON73
09-19-2016, 03:09 AM
Sweet sexy Moses...slow yer Roehl. He's young enough to be my kid. Hell, he's young enough to be PL's great, great grandson.

:biggrin:...

Christopher Moen
09-19-2016, 05:04 AM

Young man reminds me of a young Gus Bradley. Same can be said for Polasek. Both have bright futures...so does the team.

BisonNation11
09-19-2016, 12:19 PM
Thought I heard a few times that basically those who dress lift twice a week. Redshirts lift four days a week. Outside of that I couldn't tell you.

Castor Troy
09-19-2016, 04:30 PM
I am not privy to any information on this, but I have a hunch that Klieman will not leave for another college football program. I think that his next job will be in the NFL as a position coach. I just don't see him leaving for another school.

Castor Troy
09-19-2016, 04:31 PM
I am not privy to any information on this, but I have a hunch that Klieman will not leave for another college football program. I think that his next job will be in the NFL as a position coach. I just don't see him leaving for another school.

tcbison
09-19-2016, 05:25 PM
Does NDSU have someone under Coach Kramer that could take his spot if he were to move on? If they don't they need to be grooming someone just in case. I would hate to see Kramer leave but I would also hate to see NDSU be unprepared for it.

gumby013
09-19-2016, 05:29 PM
Does NDSU have someone under Coach Kramer that could take his spot if he were to move on? If they don't they need to be grooming someone just in case. I would hate to see Kramer leave but I would also hate to see NDSU be unprepared for it.

Gus Bradley

Bison bison
09-19-2016, 06:11 PM
These guys aren't going anywhere.

17>1
09-19-2016, 08:09 PM
Good opportunity to give some much deserved praise to Coach Polasek. I came up with a thought from something I saw in the Iowa Excuses thread. Iowa fans say "We didn't play Iowa football today" and we say it's because they played NDSU football. Iowa says "We had conservative play calling" and we say it was our great defense. Why is it that when the Bison struggle offensively we as Bison fans give zero credit to our opponent? Why do we blame Coach Polasek on his play calling when the other team shuts down our run game? Did anyone hear King Frazier in the post game presser take some blame for a poor performance against EWU? King maybe dances and the line doesn't execute, or a guy runs a wrong route, or a RB hits the wrong hole, etc etc. But then we blame Coach Polasek for a bad play call....and that makes sense to some of you. Wrong. We matched up well against Iowa, anyone think maybe we didn't match up real well against EWU or CSU? It's all about matchups. The team on Saturday was about as focused a group of Bison as you'll see. They executed almost perfectly, had one penalty and that was on defense, we had Kuhnert back, and we dominated them in the run game. But hardly a word about the game Coach Polasek calls. Klieman has huge balls and Jim Kramer is a God, but CP is just sitting there waiting to be criticized again. "Glad to see we're finally playing Bison football again!!" We've been playing Bison football the whole time, but you'd rather go to your own list of excuses as to why you don't think we were.

bisonmike2
09-19-2016, 08:23 PM

Sent from my iPhone.

I'd like to see him play calls to see how he does.

Winning is Gr8
09-19-2016, 08:30 PM
Good opportunity to give some much deserved praise to Coach Polasek. I came up with a thought from something I saw in the Iowa Excuses thread. Iowa fans say "We didn't play Iowa football today" and we say it's because they played NDSU football. Iowa says "We had conservative play calling" and we say it was our great defense. Why is it that when the Bison struggle offensively we as Bison fans give zero credit to our opponent? Why do we blame Coach Polasek on his play calling when the other team shuts down our run game? Did anyone hear King Frazier in the post game presser take some blame for a poor performance against EWU? King maybe dances and the line doesn't execute, or a guy runs a wrong route, or a RB hits the wrong hole, etc etc. But then we blame Coach Polasek for a bad play call....and that makes sense to some of you. Wrong. We matched up well against Iowa, anyone think maybe we didn't match up real well against EWU or CSU? It's all about matchups. The team on Saturday was about as focused a group of Bison as you'll see. They executed almost perfectly, had one penalty and that was on defense, we had Kuhnert back, and we dominated them in the run game. But hardly a word about the game Coach Polasek calls. Klieman has huge balls and Jim Kramer is a God, but CP is just sitting there waiting to be criticized again. "Glad to see we're finally playing Bison football again!!" We've been playing Bison football the whole time, but you'd rather go to your own list of excuses as to why you don't think we were.

This is so true- Not many Ohio State fans liked Herman now he is blowing up at Houston- hated his play calling. Same goes now for Nebraska- dont understand many calls- but execution is the key.

Bison Bridge Guy
09-19-2016, 08:33 PM

Good post - I've had similar thoughts. In the EWU game, we had 47 rushes for 280 yards - 6 ypc. Against Iowa 49 for 239, 4.9 ypc. Seems like a pretty consistent commitment to the run game, but as you said only the Iowa game was considered "Bison Football".

FrozenTech
09-19-2016, 09:18 PM
Good post - I've had similar thoughts. In the EWU game, we had 47 rushes for 280 yards - 6 ypc. Against Iowa 49 for 239, 4.9 ypc. Seems like a pretty consistent commitment to the run game, but as you said only the Iowa game was considered "Bison Football"

So, the short answer I think at least - for the EWU game is the Bison Defense looked like a mess, a lot. We didn't play 4 down linemen a lot of the game, and that caused us not to get as much pressure on the QB, which in turn meant he could pick us apart, even if the secondary was doing a fair job, give a guy like that time and bad things will happen for us. It didn't look or feel like bison defense, and we had to go out and win a boat race.

Iowa? That was just two tough programs ramming their heads against eachother to see who was tougher, and Saturday? That team was the Bison.

td577
09-19-2016, 09:29 PM

Well, I must be in a minority because I think we pass too much. I want 3.4 YPC on every play the whole game.

56BISON73
09-23-2016, 01:11 AM
Well, I must be in a minority because I think we pass too much. I want 3.4 YPC on every play the whole game.

:nod::howdy:

BisonNeil
09-23-2016, 01:47 AM
So, the short answer I think at least - for the EWU game is the Bison Defense looked like a mess, a lot. We didn't play 4 down linemen a lot of the game, and that caused us not to get as much pressure on the QB, which in turn meant he could pick us apart, even if the secondary was doing a fair job, give a guy like that time and bad things will happen for us. It didn't look or feel like bison defense, and we had to go out and win a boat race.

Iowa? That was just two tough programs ramming their heads against eachother to see who was tougher, and Saturday? That team was the Bison.

Regarding the secondary and the defense in general, one is really good and the other not so much. Ferentz got out-coached, period. He got stubborn and decided he needed to run the football which is what they like and want to do. But the reality is that Beatherd was hot and got three long TDs passing because of total breakdowns in the secondary. If Ferentz wasn't such a knothead they would have taken what the defense was giving them and it wouldn't have been a game. The Bison defensive secondary concerns me, a lot. I have seen no evidence of improvement over three games. Prepare yourselves for more ugliness.

1993bison
09-23-2016, 01:57 AM
Regarding the secondary and the defense in general, one is really good and the other not so much. Ferentz got out-coached, period. He got stubborn and decided he needed to run the football which is what they like and want to do. But the reality is that Beatherd was hot and got three long TDs passing because of total breakdowns in the secondary. If Ferentz wasn't such a knothead they would have taken what the defense was giving them and it wouldn't have been a game. The Bison defensive secondary concerns me, a lot. I have seen no evidence of improvement over three games. Prepare yourselves for more ugliness.
Kind of agree except I think the DBs are improving. Keep in mind who we played the last two games.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-23-2016, 02:04 AM

I've often said, if everyone executes, the coach is a genius, if just one person misses their assignment, the coach is a dunce.

With that being said, um, it's a message board and there is a lot of time between Saturdays, so yeah, there is bound to be some bitching. Besides, how boring would this place be if we all agreed with each other and never questioned the coaches. There's a reason it's called Monday morning quarterbacking.

For the record, I think the coaching staff screwed up against EWU. Some may disagree, but it would be very interesting to see what type of D we run against EWU should we meet up in the playoffs this season.

But yeah, the thesis of your post is understood and correct. Our coaching staff is right way more than they are wrong, which should be obvious based on our record over the years.

17>1
09-23-2016, 04:19 AM
I've often said, if everyone executes, the coach is a genius, if just one person misses their assignment, the coach is a dunce.

With that being said, um, it's a message board and there is a lot of time between Saturdays, so yeah, there is bound to be some bitching. Besides, how boring would this place be if we all agreed with each other and never questioned the coaches. There's a reason it's called Monday morning quarterbacking.

For the record, I think the coaching staff screwed up against EWU. Some may disagree, but it would be very interesting to see what type of D we run against EWU should we meet up in the playoffs this season.

But yeah, the thesis of your post is understood and correct. Our coaching staff is right way more than they are wrong, which should be obvious based on our record over the years.

Good post. I understand there's going to be plenty of bitching, it is a message board. But shouldn't some of those people that are constantly bitching about Polasek come back and give the guy some credit sometimes? It rarely happens. Am I wrong? They go quiet until things aren't quite going the way they think it should and they come out guns blazing. Or how about the guy that rips on Robbie all the time. The kid isn't perfect, but he had a huge sack against Iowa in the closing minutes. Any word from Alsen about how big of a play that was? Nope. I think with criticism there also needs to be praise. An equal balance.

BisonTru
09-23-2016, 04:57 AM
Good post. I understand there's going to be plenty of bitching, it is a message board. But shouldn't some of those people that are constantly bitching about Polasek come back and give the guy some credit sometimes? It rarely happens. Am I wrong? They go quiet until things aren't quite going the way they think it should and they come out guns blazing. Or how about the guy that rips on Robbie all the time. The kid isn't perfect, but he had a huge sack against Iowa in the closing minutes. Any word from Alsen about how big of a play that was? Nope. I think with criticism there also needs to be praise. An equal balance.

Honestly its just personalities, and appreciative threads like these that praise the coaches and players aren't typically heated and usually run their course rather quickly. Where as the sky is falling threads are, well, a little more entertaining. I'm with you, I'm a big fan of what Polasek has done. He uzzes Bison Pride, and I have been impressed with how he has kept true to running and specifically power while mixing in some wrinkles to keep us from being predictive. It's good to have these threads, but the fire Polasek the sky is falling threads will come again. I've learned to just read them and laugh and enjoy it. If we do lose a game I'm hoping someone in that camp will sell me their championship tickets.

As far as Alsen, he claimed Zach Vraa was a lock for the NFL. That should have ended any credibility he had in evaluating players.

My vote as a pretty much who cares booster would be Polasek gets the nod if Klieman was swiped tomorrow. Polasek might get swiped before Klieman does.

BisonTru
09-23-2016, 05:01 AM
I just don't see him leaving for another school.

All the coaches are potential poach-able. How many of us would leave our jobs for quadruple the money else where? I like my job and where I am at, but I'm not that loyal.

Ndsu84
09-23-2016, 01:16 PM
Lotsa love for Coach P. That's nice. :) I give the players 100% credit. There are times you have to wonder WTF...

But whatever. Rah rah

yopaulie
09-24-2016, 06:24 PM
I am one who thinks Polasek gets way too creative for his own good. We've had points in games where opponents literally can't prevent us from getting 5 yards per run, and coach P will throw on 1st and 2nd downs.

That said, he did do a nice job against Iowa. And our Ndsu coaches definitely out coached Iowa's, which is incredible when you look at the salaries. That last offensive series for Iowa was terribly called. I also just watched Wyoming lose to EMU, and Vigen called a horrible game.

56BISON73
09-24-2016, 06:35 PM
I am one who thinks Polasek gets way too creative for his own good. We've had points in games where opponents literally can't prevent us from getting 5 yards per run, and coach P will throw on 1st and 2nd downs.

That said, he did do a nice job against Iowa. And our Ndsu coaches definitely out coached Iowa's, which is incredible when you look at the salaries. That last offensive series for Iowa was terribly called. I also just watched Wyoming lose to EMU, and Vigen called a horrible game.

Drives me crazy when he does that.