PDA

View Full Version : NDSU at GOPHERS POLL!!

lakesbison
03-06-2006, 02:46 AM
I think I can put in about 50 other D 1 AA teams and MINNESOTA would still be #1...

THIS IS WHY WE WENT DIVISION 1 ?? isn't it people?? to play the BEST teams that we can schedule..???

TransAmBison
03-06-2006, 03:09 AM
so lakes, why did you change your handle from Ih8dasioux?

lakesbison
03-06-2006, 03:19 AM
ask Tony... I tried logging in with IH8DaSioux and it says " username doesnt exist"... So i can only assume...it must be something I said... thanks for your concern!!! I'd love to have my name back.. IH8DaSioux.. its CLASSIC!!

lakesbison
03-06-2006, 03:20 AM
HOW CAN U HONESTLY CHOOSE a SMALL TOWN COLLEGE FROM WASHINGTON that UND played.... over a BIG TEN MAJOR COLLEGE!??!?!?!?!

I dont understand you people!!! maybe we shouldve moved DOWN to D III...

sambini
03-06-2006, 03:26 AM
Lakes are you a TEAMMAKER? If not we need you to join and help us get some more members.

roadwarrior
03-06-2006, 03:49 AM
UND has not played Eastern Washington. EWU is a member of the Big Sky conference.

WYOBISONMAN
03-06-2006, 04:05 AM
UND has not played Eastern Washington. EWU is a member of the Big Sky conference.

EWU got my vote......

kchats
03-06-2006, 04:48 AM
I voted for San Diego because I thought they were the best bet for a home game.

Bisonguy
03-06-2006, 04:49 AM
The only way I would change my vote from EWU to the Gophers is if there is a home/home BB game for both the women and men plus the $300k currently offered as part of the contract.

A game against the Gophers in 2006 still does nothing for the 2007 or 2008 schedule.

imported_admin
03-06-2006, 05:01 AM
Seriously, I don't ban/delete folks without saying something. I still show "IH8daSioux" as a member. I think user names are probably case sensitive so you would have to type it in exactly as I have shown.

CaBisonFan
03-06-2006, 05:28 AM
I voted for the Gophers...but I still think it's one or two years too early.

In terms of the running backs that we have, we're probably ready. It would be fun to watch Steffes lay some licks on them. I really don't know much about our returning linemen....but I'd be concerned if we're young. If the team is pretty green, I wouldn't go into the dome until the coaching staff says we're ready.

If Walker can play at full-speed...then he can take some of the pressure off with his experience.

But I'd like to see us go to the big baggy when we have a Mertens at QB (with some experience) and a veteran offensive line.

Can anyone fill me in on how the rest of the team stacks up?

The Gophers might be slightly down....but that's a big "might." Mason has built as strong a program as they've had. The Holtz years were exciting...but Mason has built a more consistent program that "could" bust out in the next few years...as in the Rose Bowl. If anyone can bring them there....it's Mason. They, like most good DI teams, need an outstanding quarterback to make the difference. They've had adequate quarterbacks.

A home & home with Eastern Washington would be very good. They have a strong program that will challenge in the Big Sky if the coaching staff sticks around. But I doubt that EW wants to come to Fargo very badly.

SDbison
03-06-2006, 05:33 AM
EWU got my vote......
Wyo did you vote for EWU because they are closer game that you can attend?

SDbison
03-06-2006, 05:37 AM
BTW I voted for the Gopher game and I think you guys are crazy as fans, alumni and otherwise to want to have an away game at EWU instead of a game most could attend against a real DI team.

NDSUstudent
03-06-2006, 06:10 AM
The team I want to play is not even listed. I hope the Bison go to UNI this year and a get a return game for 2008. UNI lost in the IAA title game last year and should be a top 10 again this year. If you want to see how NDSU measures up to IAA's best then UNI is the team we should be playing, plus in 08 we will be playoff eligable and having a team like UNI would a great team to have on our home schedule. A game against the Gophers gives us an away game only and a game at EWU or UNI gives us an away game and a future home game. That is big because I don't want to see the same scheduling problems we had this year again and playing two IA's will provide no help in future schedules. The only way we should play the Gophers is if it is between them and a having to add another DII team, one DII is enough.

BisonMav
03-06-2006, 12:29 PM
Home and home with Minnesota :)

BisBison
03-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Home and home with Minnesota :)
dream on, dream on

BisonMav
03-06-2006, 02:01 PM
dream on, dream on

Think humor :)

WYOBISONMAN
03-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Wyo did you vote for EWU because they are closer game that you can attend?

No.....EWU is a LONG ways from where I live....probably as far as Fargo.

silkamilkamonico
03-06-2006, 07:10 PM
HOW CAN U HONESTLY CHOOSE a SMALL TOWN COLLEGE FROM WASHINGTON that UND played.... over a BIG TEN MAJOR COLLEGE!??!?!?!?!

OK. You don't even know what you're talking about. UND has never played Eastern Washington. They are a legit team in the Big Sky conference. KNow what you're posting before you post it next time.

I dont understand you people!!! *maybe we shouldve moved DOWN to D III...

According to your logic, NDSU could go winless in 5 straight seasons, and you would be ecstatic because they are making ton's of monye playing big time competition.

You don't care about the success of NDSU athletics because you're nothing more then a money w----e.

silkamilkamonico
03-06-2006, 07:11 PM
ask Tony... I tried logging in with IH8DaSioux and it says " username doesnt exist"... So i can only assume...it must be something I said... *thanks for your concern!!! I'd love to have my name back.. IH8DaSioux.. its CLASSIC!!

Maybe you're missing a capital somewhere in the password.

buffalobill
03-06-2006, 09:46 PM
I doubt we will ever see the Gophers in the Fargodome unless we are truly D-1 in football. All other sports involve a different set of circumstances if we are to ever end up with home and home contracts.

Bisonguy
03-06-2006, 09:51 PM
I doubt we will ever see the Gophers in the Fargodome unless we are truly D-1 in football. All other sports involve a different set of circumstances if we are to ever end up with home and home contracts. *

That's exactly why Gene should use this opportunity to leverage a home/home for basketball if he ends up scheduling a football game with the Gophers in 2006.

buffalobill
03-06-2006, 11:02 PM
Due to the strong egos of most D-1 coaches, you might find a great deal of difficulty getting package deals done. The AD's may head the department but they don't call all the shots on scheduling. Our win over the Badgers may give more credibility to home and home deals in BB than anything else. Structured properly home games against Big 10 opponents could be excellent net paydays for NDSU in FB and BB, but again it won't happen unless we are D-1 in FB.

MplsBison
03-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Looks like the majority has spoken.

EWU, here we come.

semobison
03-07-2006, 01:39 AM
Lakes,should do some research. EWU has been in the 1AA playoffs for 2 years running. That is EXACTLY the type of team we should be scheduling. Lets get a home and home with them. Lets get er done. I am not against a gopher game as a last resort.

SDbison
03-07-2006, 01:48 AM
Looks like the majority has spoken.

EWU, here we come.
Well the count is 32 to 31 in favor of EWU, a simple majority, but not a overwhelming statement of preference. Also, the survey is flawed. I wonder how many would be in favor of a game against EWU if it was out in Washington State. The survey should have posed EWU as an away game option since that is the most likely outcome if they were scheduled.

SDbison
03-07-2006, 01:55 AM
Lakes,should do some research. EWU has been in the 1AA playoffs for 2 years running. That is EXACTLY the type of team we should be scheduling. Lets get a home and home with them. Lets get er done. I am not against a gopher game as a last resort.
So Semo, do you think the Bison should play EWU away in 2006? How will NDSU make up for the $50,000 plus in lost revenue (my guess, what is the net payout to NDSU for a game at the dome assuming 14,000 attendance)?

CaBisonFan
03-07-2006, 02:06 AM
The team I want to play is not even listed. I hope the Bison go to UNI this year and a get a return game for 2008. UNI lost in the IAA title game last year and should be a top 10 again this year. If you want to see how NDSU measures up to IAA's best then UNI is the team we should be playing, plus in 08 we will be playoff eligable and having a team like UNI would a great team to have on our home schedule. A game against the Gophers gives us an away game only and a game at EWU or UNI gives us an away game and a future home game. That is big because I don't want to see the same scheduling problems we had this year again and playing two IA's will provide no help in future schedules. The only way we should play the Gophers is if it is between them and a having to add another DII team, one DII is enough.

I agree with Northern Iowa. Wish we could get a conference affiliation with them.

SDbison
03-07-2006, 02:12 AM
I agree with Northern Iowa. *Wish we could get a conference affiliation with them. *
So has anyone in NDSU's athletic department even mentioned UNI as a possibilty? Are they really even available on NDSU's open dates? I have heard about Gene trying to work something out with EWU, but nothing about UNI.

roadwarrior
03-07-2006, 02:45 AM
Unofficially, UNI is available Sept 9th.

roadwarrior
03-07-2006, 02:51 AM
Yes, I am excited about playing the Gophers in football, BUT a game against a top tier Big Sky team like EWU is what we need on our schedule. *We are in I-AA, not I-A. *Playing against the better teams in I-AA will tell us the most about where the program is, not how we play against the Gophers. *I understand the money question, but do we want to play a team simply because they are offering us a check? *If thats the case, should we play 7 I-A teams to fill out our non-conference schedule just to have money in the bank?

TransAmBison
03-07-2006, 03:18 AM
Well the count is 32 to 31 in favor of EWU, a simple majority, but not a overwhelming statement of preference. *Also, the survey is flawed. *I wonder how many would be in favor of a game against EWU if it was out in Washington State. *The survey should have posed *EWU as an away game option since that is the most likely outcome if they were scheduled. *
I agree to a degree. I think the survey should have made it clear if you were voting for a home game or not. Personally, I don't really want to stoop to a dII game, but I really want another home game. SDbison and lakesbison, attack away.

WYOBISONMAN
03-07-2006, 03:22 AM
Yes, I am excited about playing the Gophers in football, BUT a game against a top tier Big Sky team like EWU is what we need on our schedule. We are in I-AA, not I-A. Playing against the better teams in I-AA will tell us the most about where the program is, not how we play against the Gophers. I understand the money question, but do we want to play a team simply because they are offering us a check? If thats the case, should we play 7 I-A teams to fill out our non-conference schedule just to have money in the bank?

Very well put.

lakesbison
03-07-2006, 06:12 AM
If we aint gonna play big time programs??

I mean.. seriously... if you don't want to play a BIG TEN team.. when they WANT you. and NEED you. and they can help us in scheduling in ALL OTHER SPORTS..

I just think it's politically INCORRECT to say "NO" to Minnesota.....

furthermore.. CMON PEOPLE..... we are NOT playoff eligible in 06... SO GET THE MONEY!!! DUH!

forget your injuries angle *see travis white*

TeamMakers?? I will join if it's under $100... email me!

cris_carter@Hotmail.com I'm NOT GIVING ANY MONEY TO NDSU when they TURN DOWN $325,000 for Gophs game!

MplsBison
03-07-2006, 02:43 PM
So Semo, do you think the Bison should play EWU away in 2006? *How will NDSU make up for the $50,000 plus in lost revenue (my guess, what is the net payout to NDSU for a *game at the dome assuming 14,000 attendance)? *

I think we lose more than that considering airline tickets from Fargo to Mpls and then Mpls to where ever, hotel rooms, and food.

That's the price you pay to be good.

MplsBison
03-07-2006, 02:44 PM
I'm NOT GIVING ANY MONEY TO NDSU when they TURN DOWN $325,000 for Gophs game!

$275k.

silkamilkamonico
03-07-2006, 08:09 PM
I'm NOT GIVING ANY MONEY TO NDSU when they TURN DOWN $325,000 for Gophs game!

When you don't give any money to the program you don't have any right whatsoever to bitch and complain when the schedule doesn't go your way.

MRBISON
03-07-2006, 10:33 PM
I give $ to the program and would love to see a
Bison / Gopher game....on the other hand EWU would be a great game as well....either way I would vote for any Division 1 or Division 1AA team before any D2 team.......and think that NDSU would be way better off if they did everything possible to avoid any D2 teams....

if you want to talk about avoiding injuries...I hate seeing ANY injuries at all....but I would be more sick seeing a player get hurt in a game against a D2 team than against a D1A team.

silkamilkamonico
03-07-2006, 10:56 PM
I think injuries are a weak argument in this siutation.

You get get injured walking to class in the morning.

I wouldn't mind a game with Minnesota, but the fact is, the transition into D1AA, a game against a quality oponent like EWU would be another stepping stone on where NDSU is in the world of D1AA.

Speed has been a priority for coaches as far as recruiting goes, but I believe wholeheartedly that the game against Cal Poly only reinforced th notion to Coaches that speed is a must to compete at this level.

EWU could give the staff yet another notion on what's important to compete at this level.

MplsBison
03-07-2006, 11:26 PM
I think injuries are a weak argument in this siutation.

You get get injured walking to class in the morning.

Just a second there.

The Montana HC was quoted as saying that last years payday game against Oregon (in which there were massive injuries) was one of the reasons the team was down (losing to Cal Poly in the playoffs).

SDbison
03-08-2006, 02:03 AM
Just a second there.

The Montana HC was quoted as saying that last years payday game against Oregon (in which there were massive injuries) was one of the reasons the team was down (losing to Cal Poly in the playoffs).
If true, the Montana coach must not be too worried......didn't Montana schedule Iowa for this year?

SDbison
03-08-2006, 02:17 AM
Read SUCB#27's post (opinion regarding the 2006 game against Minnesota) in the "Tis the season" topic. I think that good points are being made on both sides of this issue. Slight edge to Minnesota unless EWU comes to Fargo in 2006.....just my opinion. ;D

Rodentia
03-08-2006, 05:56 AM
Let's look at the options:

1) Play only 10 games - I think we are agreed this is not an option.

2) Play Minnesota.

3) Play a I-AA team.

3a) Play at home with no return game.
3b) Play on the road with no return game.
3c) Play at home with a return game on the road later.
3d) Play on the road with a return game at home later.

4) Play a lower-division team.

4a) D-II
4b) D-III
4c) NAIA

We can dismiss playing only 10 games. If NDSU doesn't play Minnesota, that leaves a I-AA game or a lower division game. Playing a I-AA game is great, but there aren't many available teams. I think 3a) is unlikely. 3b) is a possibility if the potential opponent thinks that NDSU is desperate for the game. Best bet is 3c) or 3)d. I think the potential opponents have enough leverage to ask that the game be played in their home field in 2006.

Then there's the possibility of a lower division team. It would be a shame to go lower than D-II. Home many D-II schools are looking for games?

MplsBison
03-08-2006, 03:04 PM
If true, the Montana coach must not be too worried......didn't Montana schedule Iowa for this year?

They didn't schedule Iowa originally. They had Central Washington.

But the AD forced the move when Iowa offered $650k!

The AD was in a million dollar hole and the Oregon game and this game will shore that up.

Trust me, the coach doesn't want it.

MplsBison
03-08-2006, 03:05 PM
Let's look at the options:

1) Play only 10 games - I think we are agreed this is not an option.

2) Play Minnesota.

3) Play a I-AA team.

* 3a) Play at home with no return game.
* 3b) Play on the road with no return game.
* 3c) Play at home with a return game on the road later.
* 3d) Play on the road with a return game at home later.

4) Play a lower-division team.

* 4a) D-II
* 4b) D-III
* 4c) NAIA

We can dismiss playing only 10 games. If NDSU doesn't play Minnesota, that leaves a I-AA game or a lower division game. Playing a I-AA game is great, but there aren't many available teams. I think 3a) is unlikely. 3b) is a possibility if the potential opponent thinks that NDSU is desperate for the game. Best bet is 3c) or 3)d. I think the potential opponents have enough leverage to ask that the game be played in their home field in 2006.

Then there's the possibility of a lower division team. It would be a shame to go lower than D-II. Home many D-II schools are looking for games?

1, all of 4, 3a, and 3b won't happen.

Best case scenario is 3c but 3b works well too.

2 is our last option.

silkamilkamonico
03-09-2006, 01:16 AM
Read SUCB#27's post (opinion regarding the 2006 game against Minnesota) in the "Tis the season" topic. *

Yes. I won't argue with someone that was actually a part of the program and knows that kind of situation first hand.

Hammerhead
03-09-2006, 02:27 AM
I voted for EWU since I live in Oregon and it would be a good weekend getaway for an away game.

sambini
03-09-2006, 04:17 AM
Didn't Ray Jack coach hoops at EWU?

WYOBISONMAN
03-09-2006, 04:28 AM
Didn't Ray Jack coach hoops at EWU?

Yes.....then on to Utah.......

lakesbison
03-21-2006, 07:25 AM
POLL'S are for SUCKERS!!

GO GOPHERS!!! LOSE TO THE BISON!!! 10/21/06!!!

HELL YEA!!!

RELIVE WISCONSIN BBALL!!

WYOBISONMAN
03-21-2006, 12:28 PM
POLL'S are for SUCKERS!!

GO GOPHERS!!! LOSE TO THE BISON!!! 10/21/06!!!

HELL YEA!!!

RELIVE WISCONSIN BBALL!!

WTF? Perhaps some prozac would be in order.....

BisonMav
03-21-2006, 01:48 PM
POLL'S are for SUCKERS!!

GO GOPHERS!!! *LOSE TO THE BISON!!! 10/21/06!!!

HELL YEA!!!

RELIVE WISCONSIN BBALL!!

The Gophers may be without their best returning running back due to grades. Their Offensive line will have a couple holes to fill too.

bisonmike
03-21-2006, 05:51 PM
I think that this might be a good year to play the Gophers. They lose some important people on the line, and they have some issues at running back. What I don't like is the middle part of our schedule. 3 games on the road, 1 home, 3 more games on the road. It might wear down the guys having to play 6 out of 7 weeks on the road.

silkamilkamonico
03-21-2006, 07:14 PM
You guys have to keep in mind that even with the players the Gophers lost, they still have players coming in that have equal if not greater ability then NDSU's.

That's why they were recruited by a Big 10 school.

I hope and think NDSU can and will put up a good fight, but if this game is even remotely close in the second half I would consider it a success.

I'm hoping this game will be on TV.

NDSUstudent
03-21-2006, 07:24 PM
The Gophers have Michigan, Penn State, and Wisconsin before NDSU and Ohio State after so this could be a bit of trap game for the Gophers. I am not saying we are going to beat them but we could play them much closer then we should. A loss under 20 points would be good outcome for me, as long as the Bison are competitive and don't get embarassed I will be happy. UC Davis beat Stanford, MT State played Ok State close(13-7), I even remember a mediocore IAA Illinois State team gving the Gophers a heck of fight a few years ago. Anything can happen on any given saturday.

silkamilkamonico
03-21-2006, 07:27 PM
Anything can happen on any given saturday.

Absolutely, that's the beauty of every game being important in football.

I don't know about a trap game though. The Gophers are very aware of the location/tradition/pride/fanbase of NDSU. And although they won't look at it like a rivalry game, I will expect them to be ready to play, as losing, or even playing an ugly game against a regional up and coming program like NDSU would be devastating to their program.

RodentiaX
03-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Even if the Gophers don't get Russel back next year, the offense should be potent. The defense is another issue. The Gophers didn't have much of a defense, at least by Big Ten standards. The defense has been very vulnerable to mid-range passes.

The Gophers aren't going to want to risk losing players the week before having to go to Ohio State. I suspect they will try to out the game away early, and pull the starters. I'm sure they would also like to have a look at the backup QB if they have a sufficient lead.