PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Tailgating Roll Call & Where You At?

MrSnuffleupagus
09-12-2016, 03:33 PM
If there is a thread like this already, please shoot me a link as I am incapable of finding this but...

Who all is going to be tailgating in Iowa this weekend, and where are all you going to be setting up shop?

Sounds like parking and tailgating will be very limited unless in the Alumni/high school parking lot set up for us. (http://www.ndsualumni.com/2016/iowa-pep-fest-and-football-game-schedule)

Discuss.

bri-dog
09-12-2016, 03:39 PM
Comfort Inn parking lot in Coralville

https://www.hotels.com/ho231346/comfort-suites-coralville-coralville-united-states-of-america/

MNLonghorn10
09-12-2016, 03:50 PM
we'll be tailgating around Kinnick and find a place to crash

THEsocalledfan
09-12-2016, 03:51 PM
I'll be setting up in the Alumni area.

Mr Meaty
09-12-2016, 04:20 PM
In a van down by the river.

HandoEX
09-12-2016, 04:26 PM
Gonna try to see as much as possible to see if Iowa tailgating lives up to all the hype!

El_Chapo
09-12-2016, 04:27 PM
Gonna try to see as much as possible to see if Iowa tailgating lives up to all the hype!

Finebaum Golf Course, or my wifes womb..... depends on her delivery of LakesBison #2 (got a private plane lined up, so cross yo fingers!)

MrSnuffleupagus
09-12-2016, 04:58 PM

So you're just going to be wondering around the Iowa tailgating? Pretty bold for such a UND fan.

Rock
09-12-2016, 05:52 PM
We have 16 in our group. Planning to tailgate coralville early by holiday inn express then Hawkeye express and tailgate close to stadium.

runtheoption
09-12-2016, 06:21 PM
I was told right next to the stadium, in the heart of Hawkeye tailgating. That will be a lot of fun!! If anyone wants to visit, I will give a better location on Friday evening.

NDSUstudent
09-12-2016, 06:30 PM
My group is staying at the Country Inn and Suites at Coralville, not sure about tailgating. We would like to tailgate closer to the stadium but it seems rather limited, we might tailgate in the alumni area for a while and then wander around the Iowa lots for a while.

SDbison
09-12-2016, 07:08 PM
My group is staying at the Country Inn and Suites at Coralville, not sure about tailgating. We would like to tailgate closer to the stadium but it seems rather limited, we might tailgate in the alumni area for a while and then wander around the Iowa lots for a while. Group of 4 staying at Country Inn & Suites, Coralville. Will arrive mid afternoon Friday. No plans yet for Friday night.......pep fest is lame since Sherri left. At 6 am plan to drive the mile or so from our hotel to the big parking lot just south of the Comfort Suites, Coralville and Hawkeye Express boarding area. Should be more Bison fans tailgating there than the small Alumni area that is 1.5+ mile walk to stadium. Will take Hawkeye Express to the stadium around 9:30 am.

RedRiver
09-12-2016, 07:27 PM
Group of 4 staying at County Inn & Suites, Coralville. Will arrive mid afternoon Friday. No plans yet for Friday night.......pep fest is lame since Sherri left. At 6 am plan to drive the mile or so from our hotel to the big parking lot just south of the Comfort Suites, Coralville and Hawkeye Express boarding area. Should be more Bison fans tailgating there than the small Alumni area that is 1.5+ mile walk to stadium. Will take Hawkeye Express to the stadium around 9:30 am.

We have rooms at both the Comfort Inn & Suites and the Marriott in Coralville. Plan to take in one of these places or drive down to the NDSU tailgate lot.

Does anyone know what hotels in Coralville are a Hawkeye Express boarding area?

roadwarrior
09-12-2016, 07:30 PM

I think there is only one boarding area. Next to the Comfort Inn.

sandiegohawk
09-12-2016, 08:57 PM
I think there is only one boarding area. Next to the Comfort Inn.

Link below does a decent job of laying out how the train works:

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/news/2005/8/16/Ride_the_Hawkeye_Express.aspx

Twincitybizon
09-12-2016, 09:02 PM
Group of 5 going! Not sure where to tailgate/check out yet. Going with someone who would go to 1 hawkeye game yearly so i'm hoping he knows whats going on. If anyone has a must go to location let a guy know.

Bison03
09-12-2016, 09:21 PM
Hoping to just walk around the Iowa fans tailgate. Any Hawkeye fan (or even a Bison fan who knows) want to diagram a map of the area to be at, or best area to park, stuff like that?

CyPanth
09-12-2016, 09:33 PM
Hoping to just walk around the Iowa fans tailgate. Any Hawkeye fan (or even a Bison fan who knows) want to diagram a map of the area to be at, or best area to park, stuff like that?

I've given some detailed info in other threads. Essentially, north and west of the stadium are donor lots. East is the hospital and campus. South and southwest is the major partying tailgates, especially west on Melrose in University Heights. For those of you taking Hawkeye Express, it lets you off right between the stadium and University Heights on Melrose.

MNLonghorn10
09-12-2016, 09:39 PM
I've given some detailed info in other threads. Essentially, north and west of the stadium are donor lots. East is the hospital and campus. South and southwest is the major partying tailgates, especially west on Melrose in University Heights. For those of you taking Hawkeye Express, it lets you off right between the stadium and University Heights on Melrose.

So north and west seems boring, east is boring....south and south west it is!

CyPanth
09-12-2016, 09:46 PM
So north and west seems boring, east is boring....south and south west it is!

Yes, indeed. If you are anything in real life like you are on this site, that will be the place for you. And don't just stay on Melrose. Wander a little southeast, south, and southwest of Melrose. There are some great house parties tucked into private properties.

bisonfanette
09-12-2016, 10:13 PM
We have many rooms at the Heartland in Coralville and I am ending up with one extra. This will go to the first person who says, please and thank you! :-)

Till
09-12-2016, 10:49 PM
12 of us deciding between Comfort Suites and alumni lots. BTW, is there any consensus on what color fans are encouraged to wear?

MNLonghorn10
09-12-2016, 10:50 PM
12 of us deciding between Comfort Suites and alumni lots. BTW, is there any consensus on what color fans are encouraged to wear?

black and yellow

56BISON73
09-13-2016, 12:04 AM
We have rooms at both the Comfort Inn & Suites and the Marriott in Coralville. Plan to take in one of these places or drive down to the NDSU tailgate lot.

It stops at one. The comfort Suites.

El_Chapo
09-13-2016, 01:56 AM
For the love of god WEAR GREEN PLEASE.

Southwest on melrose is party central you'll have fun there park at the golf course at walk

17>1
09-13-2016, 02:50 AM
Rolling in to the CoralRidge Mall from Ames around 8-8:30. Probably going to hop on the train as soon as we can and head over to the stadium. I want to hit up the food vendors, walk around the Iowa tailgating areas, and then head inside a bit early to just take it all in. This is going to be so fun.

CyPanth
09-13-2016, 03:25 AM
Rolling in to the CoralRidge Mall from Ames around 8-8:30. Probably going to hop on the train as soon as we can and head over to the stadium. I want to hit up the food vendors, walk around the Iowa tailgating areas, and then head inside a bit early to just take it all in. This is going to be so fun.

Tons of vendors on Melrose just south of the stadium. A classic is the "Big Ass Turkey Leg."

56BISON73
09-13-2016, 03:30 AM
Tons of vendors on Melrose just south of the stadium. A classic is the "Big Ass Turkey Leg."

Jerry and Margies Catering---Iowas Largest Bratwurst--1/2 pounder. 6.00 There is also a place with Iowa Pork Tenderloin sandwich(huge) and Iowa pork chops on a stick.

MrSnuffleupagus
09-13-2016, 12:49 PM
black and yellow

Don't forget to bring your power towel. Bring it to every game.

Tony Almeida
09-13-2016, 12:58 PM
I think this is exactly what we are going to do...sounds like the best option for people not staying in the area.

BisonTeacher
09-13-2016, 03:14 PM
Probably going to hop on the train as soon as we can and head over to the stadium. .

Do we know how early the train starts running?

Killer_Carl
09-13-2016, 03:19 PM
Do we know how early the train starts running?

8 AM. 3 hours before kickoff for 11 AM start.

KidZer0
09-13-2016, 04:12 PM
At this time the Bison Shot Patrol is planning to be in the lot at West High School. 1.6 miles to the stadium, but it looks like there's a shuttle bus stop just a couple of blocks north of that lot. I know the lot opens at 6 and isn't very big, hope there's still a space for us to park if we get there by 7:30 or so...

MrSnuffleupagus
09-13-2016, 05:30 PM
Does anyone know how many or how often the shuttle buses from the High School are running?

Christopher Moen
09-13-2016, 05:59 PM
Does anyone know how many or how often the shuttle buses from the High School are running?

Everything can be found here, courtesy of the Alumni Center: http://www.ndsualumni.com/2016/iowa-pep-fest-and-football-game-schedule

Fans have the option to walk (aprx. 3 mi) or ride on one of the shuttles (http://www.ndsualumni.com/file/events/football/2016-Iowa-Football-Shuttles.pdf) provided by University of Iowa. Shuttles run every 15 minutes beginning at 9:00 a.m. and run through an hour post-game.

THEsocalledfan
09-13-2016, 08:27 PM
Anybody know if we can park in West High School the night before? I am worried about getting a spot and wondering about other folks plans.

roadwarrior
09-13-2016, 08:28 PM
Anybody know if we can park in West High School the night before? I am worried about getting a spot and wondering about other folks plans.

Don't ask, don't tell.

THEsocalledfan
09-13-2016, 08:29 PM
Don't ask, don't tell.

Good advice; I finally figured that out for NDSU, too.

THEsocalledfan
09-13-2016, 08:30 PM
One other question; will Uber/taxi's be reliable in Iowa City? Anyone have a feel for that? (ie no waiting 1 hour)

roadwarrior
09-13-2016, 08:43 PM
One other question; will Uber/taxi's be reliable in Iowa City? Anyone have a feel for that? (ie no waiting 1 hour)

Let me guess. 71,000 football fans concentrated in a small area in a city smaller than Fargo. No.

THEsocalledfan
09-13-2016, 08:54 PM
Let me guess. 71,000 football fans concentrated in a small area in a city smaller than Fargo. No.

In theory, though, Uber makes this stuff better due to surge pricing. I think it is not a dumb question and hoping one of the iowa guys can chime in.

SECH8er
09-13-2016, 09:13 PM
My favorite way to "tailgate" before Iowa games has been to head "Walking Mall" around 3 hours before the game. This is the downtown area right off campus, great college bar district. I park my car the parking garage by the Old Capital Mall(where I don't have to move it until Sunday if I don't want to), drink, get some food(you can have minors with you during the day). I walk over to Kinnick(no more than a 20 minute walk) watch the game, and then walk back to the bars after the game. It might cost a little more than tailgating, but alot less hassle, more comfortable, and you don't have to worry about traffic. I would preface this advice by saying I just moved back to the Midwest from Frisco Texas so I have seen NDSU play live more than I have been to games in Iowa City over the past 8 years, however I do plan on going this weekend. You can go to Iowa City West and tailgate(if that is where the NDSU tailgate is?), but it is going to be a kind of a pain to get to Kinnick and a bigger pain to get back. The bars will open early for home football games(most will probably be open at 7 or 8 am or at least they used to). Only bummer is you used to be able to walk around with open containers during game day for the walk over, but I hear that's frowned upon now by law enforcement.

SalAunese
09-13-2016, 11:17 PM
Open containers are fine, especially on Melrose. Most of you should be able to park in the Finkbine lot as well. My setup is on Olive Court which is off Melrose about 1.5 blocks from the stadium. Stella would be a neat place to grab a Bloody Mary pregame if you can. Lots of vendors in that area. It'll be a little more subdued due to the 11am kickoff, so I don't expect it to be too chaotic this Saturday. Feel free to stop by my tailgate for a beer

Parking over by the pedestrian mall will be ok if you can get a spot. Hit up a few bars and cross the bridge over the River ( and Riverside) and uphill towards the stadium works as well

EndZoneQB
09-13-2016, 11:32 PM
I was told right next to the stadium, in the heart of Hawkeye tailgating. That will be a lot of fun!! If anyone wants to visit, I will give a better location on Friday evening.

Lot or house?

Yes, indeed. If you are anything in real life like you are on this site, that will be the place for you. And don't just stay on Melrose. Wander a little southeast, south, and southwest of Melrose. There are some great house parties tucked into private properties.

He's scarily the same. We are ready to hit up some of these spots and show these Iowegians a thing or two :)

My favorite way to "tailgate" before Iowa games has been to head "Walking Mall" around 3 hours before the game. This is the downtown area right off campus, great college bar district. I park my car the parking garage by the Old Capital Mall(where I don't have to move it until Sunday if I don't want to), drink, get some food(you can have minors with you during the day). I walk over to Kinnick(no more than a 20 minute walk) watch the game, and then walk back to the bars after the game. It might cost a little more than tailgating, but alot less hassle, more comfortable, and you don't have to worry about traffic. I would preface this advice by saying I just moved back to the Midwest from Frisco Texas so I have seen NDSU play live more than I have been to games in Iowa City over the past 8 years, however I do plan on going this weekend. You can go to Iowa City West and tailgate(if that is where the NDSU tailgate is?), but it is going to be a kind of a pain to get to Kinnick and a bigger pain to get back. The bars will open early for home football games(most will probably be open at 7 or 8 am or at least they used to). Only bummer is you used to be able to walk around with open containers during game day for the walk over, but I hear that's frowned upon now by law enforcement.

Perfect, excited for this after the game as our hotel is a block up on Linn.

Open containers are fine, especially on Melrose. Most of you should be able to park in the Finkbine lot as well. My setup is on Olive Court which is off Melrose about 1.5 blocks from the stadium. Stella would be a neat place to grab a Bloody Mary pregame if you can. Lots of vendors in that area. It'll be a little more subdued due to the 11am kickoff, so I don't expect it to be too chaotic this Saturday. Feel free to stop by my tailgate for a beer

Parking over by the pedestrian mall will be ok if you can get a spot. Hit up a few bars and cross the bridge over the River ( and Riverside) and uphill towards the stadium works as well

If some rowdy "kids" are welcome, we might try to make an appearance. Does the party continue after the game throughout the day?

MNLonghorn10
09-13-2016, 11:43 PM

the more people talk up melrose, the more i wonder why NDSU fans are wasting their time at a high school tailgate.

SalAunese
09-14-2016, 12:02 AM
West HS is on Melrose, just west of Finkbine

EndZoneQB
09-14-2016, 12:03 AM
the more people talk up melrose, the more i wonder why NDSU fans are wasting their time at a high school tailgate.

Because it's what NDSU fans do. Guys, we are at a Big 10 team, why would you not want to experience the Big 10 atmosphere? Sounds like Iowa City is a great gameday college town. You can tailgate with these exact same people on homecoming in 2.5 weeks...

There is a big world outside of your comfort zone!

imperial
09-14-2016, 12:07 AM
You can tailgate with these exact same people on homecoming in 2.5 weeks...

This....................

SalAunese
09-14-2016, 12:08 AM

Gets a little nutty on game day on Melrose

CyPanth
09-14-2016, 12:38 AM

I didn't see any open container citations being given on Saturday, but be careful when you are on school property.

CyPanth
09-14-2016, 12:39 AM
West HS is on Melrose, just west of Finkbine

West HS is far "west" on Melrose. Hence the name "West HS." The "Melrose" party area is close to the stadium.

CyPanth
09-14-2016, 12:42 AM
Because it's what NDSU fans do. Guys, we are at a Big 10 team, why would you not want to experience the Big 10 atmosphere? Sounds like Iowa City is a great gameday college town. You can tailgate with these exact same people on homecoming in 2.5 weeks...

I agree. If you want to do the same old thing with the same old folks (which is not a bad option), go to the high school. Coralville and the train will be a cool and different experience, especially if you don't rush right into the game, but enjoy some of the environment on Melrose where the train lets off. I don't think Iowa City is quite ready for what is going to hit it on Saturday.

PattyBison
09-14-2016, 12:45 AM

Let me first preface this by saying that I am NOT doing the Alumni lot. But, why do you care??? You and your crew are the ultimate, "we don't care what people think, we do what we want, blah blah blah." But then when someone does something other than what you prefer (tailgate with the crowds at FBS games, sit in opposing fan sections, eat in a chain restaurant), you are all "there is a big world out there!! You may meet friends!!! You might like octopus!!!! blah blah blah."

Again, I probably shouldn't have commented as I am walking around like you, but for these topics, you guys are so freaking hilarious. I can pretty much predict your comments on the dot. I am going to Iowa City so I have fun. I could care less where you or anyone else is tailgating, where you are sitting and who the hell you are talking to. I just can't for the life of me figure out why you care. Safe travels!

CyPanth
09-14-2016, 12:46 AM

Gets a little nutty on game day on Melrose

These photos are pretty tame from my experience. Google "Iowa tailgate on Melrose" for some better photos.

MNLonghorn10
09-14-2016, 01:10 AM
Let me first preface this by saying that I am NOT doing the Alumni lot. But, why do you care??? You and your crew are the ultimate, "we don't care what people think, we do what we want, blah blah blah." But then when someone does something other than what you prefer (tailgate with the crowds at FBS games, sit in opposing fan sections, eat in a chain restaurant), you are all "there is a big world out there!! You may meet friends!!! You might like octopus!!!! blah blah blah."

Again, I probably shouldn't have commented as I am walking around like you, but for these topics, you guys are so freaking hilarious. I can pretty much predict your comments on the dot. I am going to Iowa City so I have fun. I could care less where you or anyone else is tailgating, where you are sitting and who the hell you are talking to. I just can't for the life of me figure out why you care. Safe travels!

because thats the name of the thread?

PattyBison
09-14-2016, 01:12 AM
because thats the name of the thread?

Oh? Sorry, didn't realize the name of the thread was "Belittle people who enjoy football games in different ways than I do." Thanks for correcting!

SalAunese
09-14-2016, 01:14 AM
West HS is far "west" on Melrose. Hence the name "West HS." The "Melrose" party area is close to the stadium.

Yes, I know. I went to school there. Plenty of people make that walk on game day. It's really not that far.

MNLonghorn10
09-14-2016, 01:21 AM
Oh? Sorry, didn't realize the name of the thread was "Belittle people who enjoy football games in different ways than I do." Thanks for correcting!

this is your idea of belittling?

forgive us for asking a question to make the week go by, i guarantee nobody "cares" like the way you think we do, especially when saturday rolls around. we're just curiouus why do the same song and dance you do in fargo all year. i understand doing it for uni or sdsu.......not iowa

obviously this is a touchy subject since you rattled 6 examples of belittling other people so i hope you find peace with yourself while youre not attending the alumni tailgate this weekend

EndZoneQB
09-14-2016, 01:24 AM

For one, this is a message board. If I can't force my opinion down everyone's throats, what am I even doing here? :)

But in all seriousness, what is the problem with trying to get even ONE person to step outside of the norm? We are in a new city for a short time, why not explore what it's like rather than doing what you do at home? Life is short, why not soak up something new? Meet some new friends, some which may become lifelong. I guess I've had my best experiences when going with the flow and being up for almost anything. I like to share that idea with other people because not everyone thinks the way I do.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-14-2016, 01:32 AM
Broke my fricken heel bone. Thinking this will be too much for dragging a boot on crutches. Reality is setting in that I will have to pass on this game. Sucks, I have to eat my hotel room. Was going to try to sell my tickets but by the looks of the ticket exchange, I will have to give them away so I will probably have to eat those as well.

Oh well, on the upside, I don't have to do shit at work for 6-8 weeks.

If anyone wants 4 tickets in the SU allotment and a hotel room in Cedar Rapids, PM me.

SalAunese
09-14-2016, 01:35 AM
You can park and take the train right to the stadium if walking is an issue for you. Might be an issue getting up and down the stairs if in the grandstands. Tough break.

PattyBison
09-14-2016, 01:44 AM
For one, this is a message board. If I can't force my opinion down everyone's throats, what am I even doing here? :)

But in all seriousness, what is the problem with trying to get even ONE person to step outside of the norm? We are in a new city for a short time, why not explore what it's like rather than doing what you do at home? Life is short, why not soak up something new? Meet some new friends, some which may become lifelong. I guess I've had my best experiences when going with the flow and being up for almost anything. I like to share that idea with other people because not everyone thinks the way I do.

I completely understand your response in this post. The part that baffles me is you target the same people for every big game. Although, I am probably lumping you and longhorn in together which may not be fair. Some people have already explained why they want to go the the alumni lot and it is still needle needle needle. But regardless, have a good time. I know I will.

PattyBison
09-14-2016, 01:45 AM
this is your idea of belittling?

forgive us for asking a question to make the week go by, i guarantee nobody "cares" like the way you think we do, especially when saturday rolls around. we're just curiouus why do the same song and dance you do in fargo all year. i understand doing it for uni or sdsu.......not iowa

obviously this is a touchy subject since you rattled 6 examples of belittling other people so i hope you find peace with yourself while youre not attending the alumni tailgate this weekend

Not touchy. Just observant. And with all due respect, if you think this or anything you do impacts my day, you need to get over yourself.

MNLonghorn10
09-14-2016, 01:54 AM
Not touchy. Just observant. And with all due respect, if you think this or anything you do impacts my day, you need to get over yourself.
No worries on this end. Just being observant about the whole travelling a long way to do, see and talk to more of the same.

CyPanth
09-14-2016, 02:09 AM
Broke my fricken heel bone. Thinking this will be too much for dragging a boot on crutches. Reality is setting in that I will have to pass on this game. Sucks, I have to eat my hotel room. Was going to try to sell my tickets but by the looks of the ticket exchange, I will have to give them away so I will probably have to eat those as well.

Oh well, on the upside, I don't have to do shit at work for 6-8 weeks.

If anyone wants 4 tickets in the SU allotment and a hotel room in Cedar Rapids, PM me.

Depending upon where your seats are, you may have a very easy in and out of the stadium. Kinnick has open corners of the stadium that give access right to the middle rows in the corners. And if you have crutches, I have to think they will let you drive right up to the corner.

EndZoneQB
09-14-2016, 02:32 AM
I completely understand your response in this post. The part that baffles me is you target the same people for every big game. Although, I am probably lumping you and longhorn in together which may not be fair. Some people have already explained why they want to go the the alumni lot and it is still needle needle needle. But regardless, have a good time. I know I will.

I don't really feel like I'm targeting anyone. At all. It's more of a suggestion to anyone on the fence about what to do or worried about finding parking. There is some concern on here about parking, etc, so why not switch it up and do something different? You *might* just have fun.

THEsocalledfan
09-14-2016, 02:32 AM
EZ point is right on.... A bit like I never understand folks not utilizing mass transit in big cities. And I will be in the high school lot...... Just tough with underage kid and I want to cook.

HandoEX
09-14-2016, 02:39 AM
I could care less where you or anyone else is tailgating, where you are sitting and who the hell you are talking to.
If you don't care, why did you click on a thread titled "Iowa Tailgating Roll Call..."???

PattyBison
09-14-2016, 02:43 AM
I don't really feel like I'm targeting anyone. At all. It's more of a suggestion to anyone on the fence about what to do or worried about finding parking. There is some concern on here about parking, etc, so why not switch it up and do something different? You *might* just have fun.

Not sure if you are referring to me when you say "you" as I already said I would be walking around and will not be anywhere near the alumni lot. I also make it a point to have fun at every game I attend, regardless of whether I do what your crew does or not.

I guess I just don't understand the "you are missing out if you don't do it my way" argument. But to each their own.

The world is a glorious place with individuals with different interests who can have fun in countless ways.

PattyBison
09-14-2016, 02:48 AM
If you don't care, why did you click on a thread titled "Iowa Tailgating Roll Call..."???

Because I have learned about the how things are laid out, areas to check out?

Why do you show up conveniently when I disagree with your buddies?

CAS4127
09-14-2016, 02:53 AM
Not sure if you are referring to me when you say "you" as I already said I would be walking around and will not be anywhere near the alumni lot. I also make it a point to have fun at every game I attend, regardless of whether I do what your crew does or not.

I guess I just don't understand the "you are missing out if you don't do it my way" argument. But to each their own.

The world is a glorious place with individuals with different interests who can have fun in countless ways.

Solid post, and not a hit on EZQB. I really respect the last paragraph.

Sent from my iPhone.

56BISON73
09-14-2016, 02:54 AM

It really doesnt have anything to do with your comfort zone. It has more to do with---we really like the people we party-tailgate with. We only get to do it what 10 times in a year. Everyone enjoys the atmosphere differently. Some are enamoured by it otheres just enjoys it. Most already know about that big world. Youre just learning it.:biggrin:

Bison03
09-14-2016, 03:11 AM
So someone sum it up for me. I want to park reasonably close and find the spot with the best Iowa fans tailgating. Where am I going?

EndZoneQB
09-14-2016, 03:13 AM

It wasn't directed at you or literally anyone in particular. That's never the point. Neither is having fun or not - I also have fun doing pretty much anything, it's who I am. I know it can be fun in the alumni lot, that's not the point.

Where did I say anyone is missing out by not doing it my way? I realize people have fun different ways, but if you don't try new things, how do you know if you like something?

It really doesnt have anything to do with your comfort zone. It has more to do with---we really like the people we party-tailgate with. We only get to do it what 10 times in a year. Everyone enjoys the atmosphere differently. Some are enamoured by it otheres just enjoys it. Most already know about that big world. Youre just learning it.:biggrin:

You of all people have been talking up Iowa City since I've pretty much met you. I figure, hey this guy has done it before and knows better than me...maybe I should listen to him(for once :biggrin:). I obviously like the people I party/tailgate with because I will be with my group when we are exploring the festivities.

56BISON73
09-14-2016, 03:25 AM
It wasn't directed at you or literally anyone in particular. That's never the point. Neither is having fun or not - I also have fun doing pretty much anything, it's who I am. I know it can be fun in the alumni lot, that's not the point.

Where did I say anyone is missing out by not doing it my way? I realize people have fun different ways, but if you don't try new things, how do you know if you like something?

You of all people have been talking up Iowa City since I've pretty much met you. I figure, hey this guy has done it before and knows better than me...maybe I should listen to him(for once :biggrin:). I obviously like the people I party/tailgate with because I will be with my group when we are exploring the festivities.

Iowa is set up for your style. You like to wander which is perfect. As you walk down Melrose west to the east you will notice small streets going to the south. Melrose PL, Melrose Circle etc. Walk down those streets there will be a plethora of house parties. There will also be house parties on Melrose itself. Some will have bands or Djs. Enjoy yourself and take it all in.

BisonTeacher
09-14-2016, 10:39 AM
I'm guessing it's been posted but can anyone remind me where the closest bars are to the stadium/train drop off?

SalAunese
09-14-2016, 11:41 AM
I'm guessing it's been posted but can anyone remind me where the closest bars are to the stadium/train drop off?

There's one bar, Stella on the bridge but if you're looking to bar hop, forget the train and park downtown iowa city and hit up the many bars in the Ped Mall area and walk to the game from there. Or you could park near Hawkins Dr and/or the Coralville strip and hit up The Vine etc

hawkeyejoe
09-14-2016, 01:01 PM
So someone sum it up for me. I want to park reasonably close and find the spot with the best Iowa fans tailgating. Where am I going?

Come up Melrose going east and cross the bridge(Kinnick will be on your left)immediately take a right on a lane and go straight south.Two minute walk to Kinnick.

BisonTeacher
09-14-2016, 03:06 PM
There's one bar, Stella on the bridge but if you're looking to bar hop, forget the train and park downtown iowa city and hit up the many bars in the Ped Mall area and walk to the game from there. Or you could park near Hawkins Dr and/or the Coralville strip and hit up The Vine etc

We are staying in coralville and paid to get into that hotel right by the train. No driving. So at this point I think we are planning to tailgate till 9ish then head to the stadium/train stop area and looking for a place to hang out and have a few beverages before going in.

MrSnuffleupagus
09-14-2016, 03:40 PM

While I agree with you...I have been to Big 10 games before. When you make a transition from FCS to FBS its not like all of a sudden we as fans get better at tailgating. Tailgating is tailgating. 10,000 people tailgating in a parking lot the size of the Fargodome's lot vs. 10,000 people tailgating over a course of 1.5 miles is still 10,000 people tailgating.

I enjoy tailgating with the people I tailgate with and I enjoy stopping by and meeting new Bison fans. Sure, meeting some Iowa fans will be cool and all, but id rather not hear "were going to beat you so bad' (or something similar to this effect) 250x over. However, meeting new bison fans that I then could possibly meet up with and talk to 8 more times throughout the year? Sounds like a blast to me.

That and im 28 years old. IDK about most of you...but 30+ year olds partying with 19-21 year old isn't always as cool as it sounds like. If you get what Im saying.

kingbison
09-14-2016, 04:27 PM
Do they allow left turns onto Melrose ave and then into tailgating lots on Melrose at 6:00 am or should we plan accordingly?

THEsocalledfan
09-14-2016, 04:50 PM
Do they allow left turns onto Melrose ave and then into tailgating lots on Melrose at 6:00 am or should we plan accordingly?

Alumni association has made very clear to NOT do that. They wan you to take a right by approaching from the West and have put out maps.

SalAunese
09-14-2016, 04:55 PM
6-7am seems to be the general rule if the thumb. You can google when lots open on university owned properties as well

kingbison
09-14-2016, 05:08 PM
Understood, but we tailgate with Bison faithful every home game. We're going to try something new this road trip

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tony Almeida
09-14-2016, 05:58 PM
While I agree with you...I have been to Big 10 games before. When you make a transition from FCS to FBS its not like all of a sudden we as fans get better at tailgating. Tailgating is tailgating. 10,000 people tailgating in a parking lot the size of the Fargodome's lot vs. 10,000 people tailgating over a course of 1.5 miles is still 10,000 people tailgating.

I enjoy tailgating with the people I tailgate with and I enjoy stopping by and meeting new Bison fans. Sure, meeting some Iowa fans will be cool and all, but id rather not hear "were going to beat you so bad' (or something similar to this effect) 250x over. However, meeting new bison fans that I then could possibly meet up with and talk to 8 more times throughout the year? Sounds like a blast to me.

That and im 28 years old. IDK about most of you...but 30+ year olds partying with 19-21 year old isn't always as cool as it sounds like. If you get what Im saying.
This ^^ and this^^ I was going to post something similar but decided to read through the thread because I knew someone was going to have the same thoughts...I must also add that having 10,000 people all in one area is a better time than having them spread out. I think some of those "bigger" programs would be very surprised at our tailgating situation at the dome.

TILIS-BisonFan
09-14-2016, 06:12 PM
Just getting some tickets and had a quick question. Roughly what section and rows is the Ndsu allotment. My wife and I want to sit with Ndsu fans. Are all rows of section 135 Ndsu fans?

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

MNLonghorn10
09-14-2016, 06:29 PM

Tailgating as a visitor fan at P5 is different than staying at your tailgate for NDSU games. Much different. You get treated like royalty. Kansas I can think of was the only p5 tailgate where I left thinking that wasn't very fun.

I'm guessing Iowa will be similar to Lincoln, which i had a blast because people openly invite you to their spots. We met a husker fan from Oakes who brought us to a house party( not full of 19-21 year olds, weird) and pointed to a trough of beer and say have at it.

You don't get that in Fargo if you're decked out in bison gear.

TransAmBison
09-14-2016, 06:40 PM
Tailgating as a visitor fan at P5 is different than staying at your tailgate for NDSU games. Much different. You get treated like royalty. Kansas I can think of was the only p5 tailgate where I left thinking that wasn't very fun.

I'm guessing Iowa will be similar to Lincoln, which i had a blast because people openly invite you to their spots. We met a husker fan from Oakes who brought us to a house party( not full of 19-21 year olds, weird) and pointed to a trough of beer and say have at it.

You don't get that in Fargo if you're decked out in bison gear.Be careful in Brookings if you get offered to have at it in their troughs. I'm pretty sure SDSU cheerleaders will bite...and who knows if their shots are up to date.

MNLonghorn10
09-14-2016, 06:43 PM
Be careful in Brookings if you get offered to have at it in their troughs. I'm pretty sure SDSU cheerleaders will bite...and who knows if their shots are up to date.
Everyone knows sdsu has a lame tailgate, which is why I don't venture away from bison fans to hang out with rabbit fans and their troughs

I could only handle summit league tournament attendance vs Frisco attendance for so long

MontBison
09-14-2016, 06:48 PM
I just hope a hawkeye fan hits hando in the face with a cheeseburger. That's a streak that must live on!

MNLonghorn10
09-14-2016, 06:52 PM
I just hope a hawkeye fan hits hando in the face with a cheeseburger. That's a streak that must live on!
We'll also accept it from the hands of an NDSU fan. If there's anyone who deserves to get hit in the face with a cheeseburger, it's hando

MrSnuffleupagus
09-14-2016, 07:09 PM
We'll also accept it from the hands of an NDSU fan. If there's anyone who deserves to get hit in the face with a cheeseburger, it's hando

I hope its Pepper Jack. Spicy on his old ass.

SDbison
09-14-2016, 07:22 PM
Just getting some tickets and had a quick question. Roughly what section and rows is the Ndsu allotment. My wife and I want to sit with Ndsu fans. Are all rows of section 135 Ndsu fans?

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk Don't know for sure, but I believe the NDSU allotment sections are on the west side of the north endzone. From what I have heard many of these tickets are way back, like in row 60's to 70's. About 120 of us are sitting together in section 217 west side of south endzone. There is someone selling tickets for under cost from both of these areas in the ticket exchange thread at Bisonville. Check it out.

TILIS-BisonFan
09-14-2016, 07:29 PM
Thanks for the above post. I found a few ticket options just wondering if the lower rows in the north endzone sections 133-135 is Iowa fans with Ndsu fans in the upper rows

SalAunese
09-14-2016, 07:37 PM
Yes, last week the visitor section was upper deck area of north end zone. Mainly in the NE corner and behind the visitor band seats. (If they go)

In previous years they were on the visitor bench side from the goal line to 10 yard line

tenyard
09-14-2016, 07:37 PM
We'll be in lower 134, wandering around pregame tailgates. Should be a legit time.

Trumpster
09-14-2016, 08:05 PM
Second row of 135 for me +3

EndZoneQB
09-14-2016, 08:41 PM

[/B]This ^^ and this^^ I was going to post something similar but decided to read through the thread because I knew someone was going to have the same thoughts...I must also add that having 10,000 people all in one area is a better time than having them spread out. I think some of those "bigger" programs would be very surprised at our tailgating situation at the dome.

Sick burns! If you really think that's what we are doing, then why even comment? You clearly have no idea what we do when we tailgate.

It has nothing to do with our tailgate scene versus theirs and everything to do with a completely new environment and setup. Plus, like MN points out below, you generally get the red carpet treatment from people as a visiting fan. We LOVE mingling with opposing fans at our tailgate spot, so why not go and do the same at an away game? They clearly do things different - house parties, food vendors around the stadium...sure sounds EXACTLY like NDSU.

If you're so thin skinned you can't take a stupid ribbing from an opposing team, why are you even making the trip? 99.9% of the time that is just someones way of opening dialog with you...and then the next thing you know you have a plate full of food and a fresh drink in your hand. I can count on one hand how many times I've been invited into a random NDSU fan's tailgate at home or away just by walking by. This happens basically all the time as an opposing fan in "enemy territory"....and we do it at home as well. I've met lifelong friends out of state while doing football related activities.

What happens when you tailgate at your spot? You generally don't move. We are guilty of this as well...which is why it's nice to get out and see the sights when you are not on your home turf.

You don't get that in Fargo if you're decked out in bison gear.

Kansas we stayed with the NDSU crowd. Remember stepping off the bus at the stadium going oh, we fucked up not coming here sooner? I definitely do. We were so isolated from the action we were lead to believe the game day festivities were awful. Haven't made that mistake again.

I guarantee Iowa City will be extremely similar to our experience in Lincoln - which was one of the best times I've ever had. The Oakes connection obviously helped, but we got invited into anyone and everyone's tailgate on the way to the house - I don't think my cup was ever close to being empty that entire day. Then we got brought into the VIP tailgate under the bridge for free just because we were opposing fans, even the people that were showing us around benefited from us being opposing fans.

I guess I'll see you guys walking to the stadium with my 19 year old friends.

Rixen
09-14-2016, 09:53 PM
Our crew of TWO will be starting at Coralville until the Hawkeye Express gets up and running. Then on to check out the Melrose area as suggested. I too like to wander around the locals. Get razzed, get some food and banter. Best of both worlds for us. Probably a lot of Bison to meet and greet with at the Coralville site and then rub elbows with the enemy near Kinnick from 8:30-10:30.

Anyone here care to give opinions on our food choices we have narrowed down for Friday night and Saturday after the game?

Pullman Bar & Diner: Semi-fancy American fare
Jimmy Jack's BBQ: Umm, BBQ
Nodo Downtown: Looks like simpler but good american fare
La Regia: Supposedly great and cheap mexican
Oasis Falafel: Apparently great middle eastern food at a good price. Don't see this food in Fargo often so would like to broaden our horizons.

All of the above have great reviews on Yelp. Any suggestions or recommendations are welcome.

So pumped for the trip.

SalAunese
09-14-2016, 10:30 PM
Hit up the Ped Mall Friday night and grab a pizza at the Airliner or wings at the Vine.

Saturday night-Wig and Pen in Coralville for great pizza. There are a ton of places in Iowa City, especially by the Ped Mall

Breakfast at the Hamburg Inn is a must

CyPanth
09-15-2016, 03:20 AM
Come up Melrose going east and cross the bridge(Kinnick will be on your left)immediately take a right on a lane and go straight south.Two minute walk to Kinnick.

So it has come to this. Finally, I agree with hawkeyejoe on something.

1993bison
09-15-2016, 03:26 AM
Ok. From my understanding the tail gate is 3 miles from the stadium. How reliable and accommodating are the shuttles going to be? Are there going to be sufficient capacity? Don't want to be late for the game. VB what are you hearing?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

CyPanth
09-15-2016, 03:28 AM
Ok. From my understanding the tail gate is 3 miles from the stadium. How reliable and accommodating are the shuttles going to be? Are there going to be sufficient capacity? Don't want to be late for the game. VB what are you hearing?

It should be okay. Much better because it is an early game and you don't have all those Cyclone fans clogging up the streets.

56BISON73
09-15-2016, 03:46 AM

http://www.ebongo.org/routes/uiowa/fbhawk

El_Chapo
09-15-2016, 04:17 AM
There's literally hundreds of NDSU tickets for sale on here Craigslist and Facebook. Seems like NDSU fans are bandwagon punks. I hate it

MrSnuffleupagus
09-15-2016, 01:44 PM

http://www.ndsualumni.com/file/events/football/2016-Iowa-Football-Shuttles.pdf

Nope. From the maps I have seen the high school is 1.9 miles away...

SamsRams
09-16-2016, 01:11 AM
Where is the party at tonight

56BISON73
09-16-2016, 04:55 AM

Nope. From the maps I have seen the high school is 1.9 miles away...

Clocked it tonight. From the tailgate lot to the stadium its 1.9. From the driveway to the stadium 1.5.

56BISON73
09-16-2016, 05:00 AM
One of the tailgate lots is now a business. The new lot is in back of the comfort suites. There still is the lot that is NW from the comfort suites.

Tony Almeida
09-16-2016, 06:27 AM
Clocked it tonight. From the tailgate lot to the stadium its 1.9. From the driveway to the stadium 1.5.
We can walk this no prob, 1.9 miles is nothing. My biggest concern is where do I park my car if I can't find a spot especially with limited parking in this alumni lot? From all the talk on here, due to heavy traffic and time, it doesn't sound like you can just turn around and say screw it lets go back to comfort inn & suites or the mall . . . Once we head to the alumni lot, we're committed right?

Bison03
09-16-2016, 01:42 PM
I'm planning on walking around finding some friendly Hawkeye fans on Melrose. Where is the best place to park to do this? Or is taking the shuttles a better option? Also, I'm hearing conflicting info; what time will people start tailgating?

17>1
09-16-2016, 02:07 PM
I'm planning on walking around finding some friendly Hawkeye fans on Melrose. Where is the best place to park to do this? Or is taking the shuttles a better option? Also, I'm hearing conflicting info; what time will people start tailgating?

If that's your plan, I would recommend parking at the Coral Ridge Mall, hopping on the train and taking it in to the Kinnick/Melrose area. This is what we're doing, and I think it'll minimize stress of parking and finding our way around the chaos.

IzzyFlexion
09-16-2016, 02:12 PM

Saved a timeout, eh?
Smart.
:biggrin::biggrin:

Bison03
09-16-2016, 02:27 PM
If that's your plan, I would recommend parking at the Coral Ridge Mall, hopping on the train and taking it in to the Kinnick/Melrose area. This is what we're doing, and I think it'll minimize stress of parking and finding our way around the chaos.
What time do the buses start running?

Yote 53
09-16-2016, 02:35 PM
I'm going to help out some of my Valley mates here. My brother went to school at Iowa and I tailgate down there about once or twice a year. Much has changed over time but I will try to help you out here. If you want the full tailgating experience you want to be as close to Melrose Ave as possible. People on Melrose will rent out their yards as tailgating lots, if you get there early enough you can get a spot. If you head west of the stadium on Melrose, right across the railroad tracks, past the Melrose Dental office, on the right hand side of the road there is a lot where you can pay to tailgate, it's probably around $30/care by now. Going further west on Melrose there is St. Andrew Church, huge parking lot that they rent out spots on games days. It is an 11 AM kick-off so I would plan on rolling into these spots by 6:30 AM, seriously, we usually roll in at 6AM.

I have also tailgated as far away as over by the softball fields across the street from the Wig & Pen. It's a ways away and you won't even see the stadium from there, but it may be a good spot to park, do some tailgating, then take a suitcase of beer and walk up the Finkbine trail towards the stadium and just wonder around tailgating. I've done that with a WalMart bag filled with beer and ice. Total redneck but you'll fit in just fine there.

I much, much prefer tailgating on Melrose, so that would be my first option. What you have to remember is that the stadium is in a residential neighborhood and there will be parties spread out in people's yards for a good mile or more in every direction from the stadium. If I were going back for the game Saturday I would try to get my old spot at the house located at 1124 Melrose (yes, that is the address), second option would be the church lot a block and a half west.

17>1
09-16-2016, 02:38 PM

I have no idea, I'm not taking a bus.

Yote 53
09-16-2016, 02:43 PM
[/B]This ^^ and this^^ I was going to post something similar but decided to read through the thread because I knew someone was going to have the same thoughts...I must also add that having 10,000 people all in one area is a better time than having them spread out. I think some of those "bigger" programs would be very surprised at our tailgating situation at the dome.

It is much, much more than 10,000 people tailgating, more like 80,000. There will be 70k at the game and at least another 10,000 that won't even bother with the game and just stay and tailgate. Biggest I've ever scene there was the OSU night game years back. Probably 70,000 + inside the stadium and another 50,000 outside the stadium tailgating. Place was incredible.

Iowa fans are some of the nicest you will find. Sure, there are always the random jerks, but I guarantee some of you could just show up with nothing but your Bison gear, walk tailgate to tailgate, talk to people, and leave fat, drunk, and happy.

56BISON73
09-16-2016, 04:05 PM

Dont you read any of the posts here?:biggrin:

56BISON73
09-16-2016, 04:06 PM
Saved a timeout, eh?
Smart.
:biggrin::biggrin:

Gotta take advantage of the opportunity when it arises.

56BISON73
09-16-2016, 04:07 PM

Park in back of the Comfort Suites. Its closer and you dont have to cross the road.

56BISON73
09-16-2016, 04:10 PM
We can walk this no prob, 1.9 miles is nothing. My biggest concern is where do I park my car if I can't find a spot especially with limited parking in this alumni lot? From all the talk on here, due to heavy traffic and time, it doesn't sound like you can just turn around and say screw it lets go back to comfort inn & suites or the mall . . . Once we head to the alumni lot, we're committed right?

Theres plenty of parking at the high school. There is also 2 lots close to the high school plus there is the Finkbine golf course on Melrose. Plus there are people who will let you park your car in there yard for a fee.

BisonTru
09-16-2016, 04:22 PM
Theres plenty of parking at the high school. There is also 2 lots close to the high school plus there is the Finkbine golf course on Melrose. Plus there are people who will let you park your car in there yard for a fee.

Do you know if the golf course lot has shuttle service to the game? I'm not quite as ambitious as Tony. :biggrin:

56BISON73
09-16-2016, 05:00 PM
Do you know if the golf course lot has shuttle service to the game? I'm not quite as ambitious as Tony. :biggrin:

Golf course lot is closer. Dont think it has a shuttle.

17>1
09-16-2016, 05:26 PM
Park in back of the Comfort Suites. Its closer and you dont have to cross the road.

Will do, thanks! It's my understanding that this is where you'll be tailgating, correct?

NDSUFREAK
09-16-2016, 05:31 PM
Staying at the Iowa House hotel and will be downtown all night at the bars!!

Buddy of mine won't be getting in until later tonight but I'm planning to have dinner at Short's Burger and Shine... so if you are there and see a guy by himself drinking a beer or 7 don't be afraid to say hi!

56BISON73
09-16-2016, 07:01 PM
Will do, thanks! It's my understanding that this is where you'll be tailgating, correct?

Yes............

56BISON73
09-16-2016, 07:08 PM

You can always drive down Melrose and find a yard you can park in to get closer to the stadium..

Rixen
09-16-2016, 07:38 PM
Had to cancel the trip last minute. Damn.

Hope everyone down there has a blast and has a few for us. Make us staying home fans proud!

hawkeyejoe
09-16-2016, 09:04 PM
Had to cancel the trip last minute. Damn.

Hope everyone down there has a blast and has a few for us. Make us staying home fans proud!

Word is the cops in downtown IC are looking for a big night.Meaning jail time.

56BISON73
09-16-2016, 09:06 PM
Word is the cops in downtown IC are looking for a big night.Meaning jail time.

Youre the ear to the ground guy?

JAG-BISON
09-16-2016, 10:54 PM
Might have been said already
Just got in and settled into the house we rented. Was wondering are we able to park tailgate rig tonight at the alumni/high school parking lot or do we have to wait until 6am tomorrow morning.
Disregard found out for ourself high school football going on right now

Lord Bison
09-17-2016, 12:20 AM
Has anybody ridden Hawkeye train? Wondering if I can get a wheelchair on it. Is it like light rail in cities or double decker Amtrak?

SalAunese
09-17-2016, 12:27 AM
It's a double decker but has handicapped accessible seating

Lord Bison
09-17-2016, 12:37 AM
Thanks. I assume there is lower level seating too. ?

THEsocalledfan
09-17-2016, 12:53 AM
So can we get in that lot after the football game is over?

JAG-BISON
09-17-2016, 01:24 AM
So can we get in that lot after the football game is over?

We are going to and believe others are too
Haven't heard no soooo just going with the ask for forgiveness later then permission.

THEsocalledfan
09-17-2016, 01:40 AM
We are going to and believe others are too
Haven't heard no soooo just going with the ask for forgiveness later then permission.

Wonder what time the game of game will get done? I'm just coming into Cedar Rapids now.

DjKyRo
09-17-2016, 01:47 AM
At work :(

CyPanth
09-17-2016, 03:49 AM
I'm going to help out some of my Valley mates here. My brother went to school at Iowa and I tailgate down there about once or twice a year. Much has changed over time but I will try to help you out here. If you want the full tailgating experience you want to be as close to Melrose Ave as possible. People on Melrose will rent out their yards as tailgating lots, if you get there early enough you can get a spot. If you head west of the stadium on Melrose, right across the railroad tracks, past the Melrose Dental office, on the right hand side of the road there is a lot where you can pay to tailgate, it's probably around $30/care by now. Going further west on Melrose there is St. Andrew Church, huge parking lot that they rent out spots on games days. It is an 11 AM kick-off so I would plan on rolling into these spots by 6:30 AM, seriously, we usually roll in at 6AM.

I have also tailgated as far away as over by the softball fields across the street from the Wig & Pen. It's a ways away and you won't even see the stadium from there, but it may be a good spot to park, do some tailgating, then take a suitcase of beer and walk up the Finkbine trail towards the stadium and just wonder around tailgating. I've done that with a WalMart bag filled with beer and ice. Total redneck but you'll fit in just fine there.

I much, much prefer tailgating on Melrose, so that would be my first option. What you have to remember is that the stadium is in a residential neighborhood and there will be parties spread out in people's yards for a good mile or more in every direction from the stadium. If I were going back for the game Saturday I would try to get my old spot at the house located at 1124 Melrose (yes, that is the address), second option would be the church lot a block and a half west.

I concur. This is good advice.

GRAFTONBISON
09-17-2016, 03:58 AM
Friday night in Coralville, check. Here's to a fun day tomorrow Bison Nation!!

MNLonghorn10
09-17-2016, 05:36 AM
Downtown Iowa city was not was I was expecting. Wow... This place is awesome

roadwarrior
09-17-2016, 09:00 AM
West high school lot open for business. Quite a few spent the night here.

roadwarrior
09-17-2016, 09:14 AM
Going to be a nice walk down Melrose to the stadium. Checked out the lot by comfort suites, which is a big gravel lot. High school lot is a great setting. Lots of trees.

THEsocalledfan
09-17-2016, 10:38 AM
West high school lot open for business. Quite a few spent the night here.

Road, you are slacking. I parked last night. :)

THEsocalledfan
09-17-2016, 10:39 AM
BTW, no uber this am....

runtheoption
09-17-2016, 10:58 AM
Finally figured it out... somewhere in lot 43 North.

BisonTeacher
09-17-2016, 11:20 AM
Finally figured it out... somewhere in lot 43 North.

Booooooooooo!

THEsocalledfan
09-17-2016, 11:40 AM
This alumni lot filled long ago. People need to quit coming in. Pass the word.

popefro
09-17-2016, 01:13 PM
A conquest motorhome just pulled in to the west tailgating lot, buncha college student jumped out fairly tuned in yelling, "damn Iowa bridges", and then pointed to the top of the motorhome displaying a smashed a/c unit..apparently they were unaware of their clearence height, oh well.

CyPanth
09-17-2016, 01:36 PM
Did anybody park on Melrose near the stadium? In the University Heights neighborhood? In the hospital parking deck? I'm really hoping you guys establish your tailgating prowess right in the depth of Hokeye country.

hawkeyejoe
09-17-2016, 02:04 PM
Did anybody park on Melrose near the stadium? In the University Heights neighborhood? In the hospital parking deck? I'm really hoping you guys establish your tailgating prowess right in the depth of Hokeye country.

Why aren't you down there numbnuts getting ready for a repeat of last week's beat down of your Clowns?

HerdBoy
09-17-2016, 02:31 PM
A conquest motorhome just pulled in to the west tailgating lot, buncha college student jumped out fairly tuned in yelling, "damn Iowa bridges", and then pointed to the top of the motorhome displaying a smashed a/c unit..apparently they were unaware of their clearence height, oh well.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb403/JKJP1920/ifyouhit_zps9jon4hwr.jpg

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-17-2016, 03:28 PM

Sounds like a typical college kid (or at least my kid) "sucks, but its not mine, the old man will pay for it). :mad:

MNLonghorn10
09-17-2016, 11:13 PM
Uh yea. Melrose sucked. It was all families and people looking to turn their yards into a parking space.

Nobody wanted to invite ndsu fans for drinks anywhere. Huge fizzle. Donor lot by the stadium was fine enough but I was underwhelmed. a long with others.

And what's the decision to clean the shitters in the middle of a fucking tailgate?! That shit was from the Iowa state tailgate.

Isu>Ui

Glad NDSU beat these puds and I can get the hell out of here on a high note

SDbison
09-17-2016, 11:35 PM
Uh yea. Melrose sucked. It was all families and people looking to turn their yards into a parking space.

Nobody wanted to invite ndsu fans for drinks anywhere. Huge fizzle. Donor lot by the stadium was fine enough but I was underwhelmed. a long with others.

And what's the decision to clean the shitters in the middle of a fucking tailgate?! That shit was from the Iowa state tailgate.

Isu>Ui

Glad NDSU beat these puds and I can get the hell out of here on a high note I got chewed out for setting my beer on a crappy vehicle. Best revenge we beat them.

MNLonghorn10
09-17-2016, 11:51 PM
Hopefully you gave them a German suplex

Son of a Bison
09-17-2016, 11:58 PM
Not impressed with Kinnick overall but maybe expecting too much. Showed its age. Half the shitters were full by the NDSU section before halftime. No leg room - especially if someone had a seat back in front of you. Much more impressed with Iowa State - both tailgating near the stadium and overall fan experience. Neighborhood tailgating different but not for me. Dome needs some food vendors outside and some seat vendors. Iowa fans were classy before, during and after.

VirginiaBison
09-18-2016, 12:32 AM
Grand Poobahs, Das Horns, Disco Inferno: North Dakota State's passionate fan base: A little wild, a little woolly, they love their Bison

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/grand-poobahs-das-horns-disco-inferno-20160916

The Gene Taylor interview is excellent!!

Christopher Moen
09-18-2016, 12:51 AM
Hopefully you gave them a German suplex

Doing that to an Iowan in Iowa City would be worth bonus points. Most of those guys can actually wrestle.

CyPanth
09-20-2016, 01:32 AM

Isu>Ui

Too bad that the tailgating dropped off so much for the morning game and the week after the big in-state rivalry game. It was a pretty good scene last week.

I have to say that I get quite a bit of guilty pleasure in knowing that some of you (and especially some of the Hokeye fans) had to smell the shit I left in a portapotty a week earlier!

CyPanth
09-20-2016, 01:33 AM
Not impressed with Kinnick overall but maybe expecting too much. Showed its age. Half the shitters were full by the NDSU section before halftime. No leg room - especially if someone had a seat back in front of you. Much more impressed with Iowa State - both tailgating near the stadium and overall fan experience. Neighborhood tailgating different but not for me. Dome needs some food vendors outside and some seat vendors. Iowa fans were classy before, during and after.

For the record, our stadium is even better now that the old endzone bleachers have been replaced with a two-level endzone bowl and premium lounge.

BisonTeacher
09-20-2016, 01:48 AM
For the record, our stadium is even better now that the old endzone bleachers have been replaced with a two-level endzone bowl and premium lounge.
Yeah, but you still have to watch Iowa State play....so there's that.

CyPanth
09-20-2016, 02:07 AM
Yeah, but you still have to watch Iowa State play....so there's that.

Yeah, we are working on that. Don't want to rush into it. Winning more than 3 bowls per century would be pretty taxing on our system!

Seriously, can you imagine what our fans will be like if we ever have a run of good seasons!

Son of a Bison
09-20-2016, 03:24 AM

Put us on the schedule and I will come back and check it out. Or have UNI host us there and fill it up with our traveling fan base and any Iowans that want to see the Bison stampede again.

Better yet, have Iowa, ISU and UNI form an all star team and play us there! JK

MrSnuffleupagus
09-20-2016, 02:48 PM

Isu>Ui

But..but Melrose was the place to be! High School Bison tailgating sucks!

But in all seriousness...the tailgating at the High School was great, minus the lack of places to pee. Oh, and the fact that I seriously underestimated that 1.9 mile walk when drunk. Think by the time I made to the stadium I walked 3 miles with all the staggering.

MNLonghorn10
09-20-2016, 02:54 PM
But..but Melrose was the place to be! High School Bison tailgating sucks!

But in all seriousness...the tailgating at the High School was great, minus the lack of places to pee. Oh, and the fact that I seriously underestimated that 1.9 mile walk when drunk. Think by the time I made to the stadium I walked 3 miles with all the staggering.
We all swing and miss once in a while. I did my part of showing up. Much like all Hawkeye fans who are no longer posting on bville after the game and smack talk, they were no where to be found on Melrose

MrSnuffleupagus
09-20-2016, 03:20 PM
We all swing and miss once in a while. I did my part of showing up. Much like all Hawkeye fans who are no longer posting on bville after the game and smack talk, they were no where to be found on Melrose

TBH though...their tailgating, from what I saw, sucked.

Let this be a perfect example of how the whole 'they are FBS, their tailgating is MUCH better than anything you have' is a load of bull. Cyclone tailgating was VASTLY better than Hawkeyes.

StL Bison Fan
09-20-2016, 03:31 PM
TBH though...their tailgating, from what I saw, sucked.

Let this be a perfect example of how the whole 'they are FBS, their tailgating is MUCH better than anything you have' is a load of bull. Cyclone tailgating was VASTLY better than Hawkeyes.

i will agree with this. Let us not judge a tailgate by the quality of their FB.