PDA

View Full Version : Prevent defense

Bison20
09-11-2016, 02:48 AM
Why do coaches constantly use the prevent defense with extra day backs and no pass rush. To let a qb sit back and have all day to throw and pick a defense apart the whole game is frustrating. I believe you need to stick to your game plan and get pressure which helps your db and causes errant throws. We should have learned our lesson against eastern Washington in the playoffs when we went to it and they scored to force ot.

bloodmakesthegrassgrow
09-11-2016, 02:52 AM
The 'prevent defense' is designed to let you lose more slowly.

BisoninNWMN
09-11-2016, 02:53 AM
The defense did better with the front 4 DL in there.

Learn from it because the Bison might see them again.

ZHerd
09-11-2016, 03:23 AM
A three man rush is moronic. Great defenses find ways to pressure the QB.

HerdBot
09-11-2016, 03:32 AM
Actually the normal defense we play is a 2 high safety look or cover 2, which is more like a prevent, but not nearly as soft. Keep everything in front of you and make them earn everything. But it works if you can get pressure with 4 down lineman without blitzing and an elite coverage middle linebacker like DeLuca.

What we did today was OPPISITE of prevent. We have up more big plays today than we would all year by going away from our normal D.

The whole idea is to eliminate big plays which we did not

ndsubison1
09-11-2016, 03:33 AM
Prevent should only be for hail mary type situations

EC8CH
09-11-2016, 03:53 AM
Prevent should only be for hail mary type situations

Hell most of their big throws were hail Mary type passes.

GOBISON123
09-11-2016, 03:58 AM
We has atleast two DBs on those EgW WRs not one but two and yet a Freshman QB playing 2nd game in his carrier finds a way to throw the ball and those WRs are catching those passes, fire Joe Kandelman.

BisonNeil
09-11-2016, 04:11 AM
A three man rush is moronic. Great defenses find ways to pressure the QB. The D-line played a very poor game

I disagree, they got five sacks. Now, did they get adequate pressure throughout the game. No. But there was only three of them for fucks sake. The most moronic defensive game plan I have seen since the Babich years. Entz was a moron for coming up with it and Klieman even more stupid for approving it. PGT can't cover a piece of pie with Saran Wrap much less someone running a pass route and you take out a DL and then refuse to blitz? Sorry, none of this is on the DL, this is all on the coaches. Can't believe you don't see that.

ZHerd
09-11-2016, 04:29 AM
I disagree, they got five sacks. Now, did they get adequate pressure throughout the game. No. But there was only three of them for fucks sake. The most moronic defensive game plan I have seen since the Babich years. Entz was a moron for coming up with it and Klieman even more stupid for approving it. PGT can't cover a piece of pie with Saran Wrap much less someone running a pass route and you take out a DL and then refuse to blitz? Sorry, none of this is on the DL, this is all on the coaches. Can't believe you don't see that.

I said a 3 man rush is moronic. I saw so many plays of zero pressure, having all day to throw that I lost track of our actual sack numbers and you are right, 5 sack is good. Misplaced blame on my part. I hate seeing a QB allowed to just sit there and pick apart a defense play after play after play. Drove me nuts watching it

Bison20
09-11-2016, 11:09 AM

You can't expect a lb to cover a wr 30 yards down the field without any safeties helping over the top. It was a horrible game plan to rush 3 and not get pressure. Most b of the v sacks were when we rushed 4 or blitzed

BisoninNWMN
09-11-2016, 11:23 AM
You can't expect a lb to cover a wr 30 yards down the field without any safeties helping over the top. It was a horrible game plan to rush 3 and not get pressure. Most b of the v sacks were when we rushed 4 or blitzed

Well, hopefully the coaches learn from this.

IMO, why not do what we always do.....regular Tampa-2. Why totally change the scheme for EWU? Make them adjust their game plan with our pressure and great base defense in their face.

I agree it was a bad game plan by the coaches. PGT got burned most of the night by the slot WR but with no pressure on the QB, it is hard to cover a guy for 7-10 seconds.

Probably would have had better success by blitzing most of the night.

ndsubison1
09-11-2016, 11:59 AM
Iowa is a little better matchup wise for our LBs. Corners need to step up too next game or Beathard could have a big day.

A1pigskin
09-11-2016, 01:56 PM
Hell most of their big throws were hail Mary type passes.

But they were on the money.

TAILG8R
09-11-2016, 02:05 PM
But they were on the money.

I haven't rewatched the game but live it looked like most of those long throws were simply thrown deep into open space and letting the wr run under them. Which was frustrating as hell to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ndsu84
09-11-2016, 02:06 PM
You can't call it a Hail Mary when it works time after time. A Hail Mary is a prayer. Which is what those were but....

southcliffbison
09-11-2016, 05:13 PM
Well , the D did hold EWU below their season average.....:hide: