PDA

View Full Version : wac info

cadillac
03-23-2006, 07:55 PM
wac info
WAC

SCHOOL ENROLLMENT STADIUM CITY/POP. ATTENDANCE LEAGUE MEM.
Boise State 18,456 30,112 Boise/180,000 30,112 2001
B.B.12380
Fresno State 19,781 41,031 Fresno/427,652 39,307 1992
B.B.16,116
Hawii 20,000 50,000 Honolulu/371,000 32,735 1979
B.B. 10,300
University of Idaho 12,824 16,000 Mosco/21,291 15,175 2005
B.B. 7,000
Louisiana Tech Univ. 12,000 30,600 Ruston/20,546 16,416 2001
B.B. 31,900
Univsersity of Nevada 15,540 31,900 Reno/180,480 15,076 2000
B.B. 11,200
New Mexico State Univ. 16,428 30,343 Las Cruses/74,267 12,557 2005
B.B. 13,071
San Jose State Univ. 29,044 30,456 San Jose/894,000 12,506 1996
B.B. 5,000
Utah State University 23,908 25,025 Logan/42,670 10,896 2005
B.B. 10,270

silkamilkamonico
03-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Just wondering what this has to do with NDSU?

It's not even a forethought or afterthought in the transition into D1.

buffalobill
03-23-2006, 08:46 PM
O YE OF LITTLE VISION

sambini
03-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Just shows how we compare to the WAC. Thanks to some of the saturday breakfast club . For the info +++++++++++++

TransAmBison
03-23-2006, 10:50 PM
For football, I like DI-AA just fine. We moved because DII lowered scholarships, and continually talked about doing it again, thus watering down the competition. DI-AA is not like that. There is no reason to look to DI-A in football. It just wouldn't be the same.

BisonBacker
03-23-2006, 10:56 PM
The conference/ no conference issue may change your mind ;)

TransAmBison
03-23-2006, 10:59 PM
I'd rather be a DI-AA independant that makes the playoffs than DI-A that doesn't...and I don't really care about some unknown bowl game. And I don't believe DI-A is going to ever go to a playoff system. I just don't understand peoples lack of patience...we've just begun our DI transition.

WYOBISONMAN
03-23-2006, 11:07 PM
I'd rather be a DI-AA independant that makes the playoffs than DI-A that doesn't...and I don't really care about some unknown bowl game. *And I don't believe DI-A is going to ever go to a playoff system. *I just don't understand peoples lack of patience...we've just begun our DI transition.

I dunno.......when Wyoming won the Las Vegas Bowl a couple of years ago, it was a hell of a good time and everyone I was in Vegas with seemed to enjoy it a bunch......

MplsBison
03-23-2006, 11:58 PM
I think going to a bowl, even if it is a little bowl, is at least as fun for the players as going to the DI-AA championship game.

And often the bowls are in bigger, more exciting cities for the players and fans to have fun in (also easier to travel to).

Seriously, what can you do in Chattanooga? Las Vegas sounds like a way better road trip to me.

semobison
03-24-2006, 12:06 AM
The conference/ no conference issue may change your mind ;)
If we wer in a conference we wouldnt be having this discussion. Give er a little time I like the playoffs too.

Gamehunter
03-24-2006, 12:30 AM
NDSU in DII was like a whale shark in a backyard pond, and there is no reason why the same can't be true for NDSU in DI-AA. However, the best NDSU could do in DI-A is probably something similar to what Boise St. has accomplished, which is still quite impressive, just not USC or Nebraska caliber. So far I have been impessed with most of the competition in the upper 1/3 of DI-AA and I don't see any reason why there is an immediate need to make another jump just because of a conference....within a year or two I feel a I-AA conference will come calling, NDSU is WAY to good of a program to not get an invite even dispite travel problems.

broke_back_mnt
03-24-2006, 01:12 AM
NDSU in DII was like a whale shark in a backyard pond, and there is no reason why the same can't be true for NDSU in DI-AA. *However, the best NDSU could do in DI-A is probably something similar to what Boise St. has accomplished, which is still quite impressive, just not USC or Nebraska caliber. *So far I have been impessed with most of the competition in the upper 1/3 of DI-AA and I don't see any reason why there is an immediate need to make another jump just because of a conference....within a year or two I feel a I-AA conference will come calling, NDSU is WAY to good of a program to not get an invite even dispite travel problems.

Anybody can make a run. *NDSU can make a run. *My predication, and predicting aint easy especially predicting the future, is this: *25,000 seats outside, BISON DI-A, BB arena built next to stadium. 10 yrs. *Great football players will come to a school that loves football. *You might say has a college of football and that's NDSU. *We should have a major.

NanoBison
03-24-2006, 01:15 AM
Considering most of our FB season is in the fall, won't an outside arena be pretty cold at times?

BisonBacker
03-24-2006, 01:41 AM
If we wer in a conference we wouldnt be having this discussion. Give er a little time I like the playoffs too.
alrighty thne if wer in a conferance by then well will just have to wate and see if they git er dun ;)

broke_back_mnt
03-24-2006, 01:48 AM
Considering most of our FB season is in the fall, won't an outside arena be pretty cold at times?

Yes, an outside football arena would be cold at times. Probably pretty cold.

JACKGUYII
03-24-2006, 01:52 AM
College football was meant to be played outside. I hope the Bison move back outside someday as it's a much better pure football enviroment.

ndsubison
03-24-2006, 07:07 AM

Oh, Nano my boy, are you too young to remember the history of Dacotah Field? Do you remember how many late season playoff games the Bison won when it was cold on the field? My friend, do a history lesson and get back to the rest of us.

GO BISON!!

NanoBison
03-24-2006, 08:18 AM
Yeppers,

Being as I started NDSU in the fall of 1997 for my undergrad degree, I don't remember anything ever happening there. I do remember walking on the field during one of my health/phy-ed classes freshmen year though.

Go Bison

rabidrabbit
03-24-2006, 01:39 PM
:) There are few things more intimidating than playing in a blizzard. It's a great way to get wins that maybe, under decent weather, wouldn't win. 8)

NDSU, with the tough defense, and 3 yds-cloud-of-dust offense, will prevail over an explosive, offensive team in a snowstorm.

Crowds would be small, and certainly northern tier tough.

Keep it indoors, kill em with crowd noise, and more even playing conditions, then if Bison win, it's because they were the better team that day rather than the conditions.

For comparison at the pro level, who's succeeded in the North teams? I'd say Packers, Patriots and Bears, Bills have won the home playoff games. Detroit, Vikes, toss-ups.

But I'm staying down here in sunny FLA. I'll follow via internet or TV! Thank you very much!

MplsBison
03-24-2006, 06:10 PM
wac info
WAC

SCHOOL ENROLLMENT STADIUM CITY/POP. ATTENDANCE LEAGUE MEM.
Boise State 18,456 30,112 Boise/180,000 30,112 2001
B.B.12380
Fresno State 19,781 41,031 Fresno/427,652 39,307 1992
B.B.16,116
Hawii 20,000 50,000 Honolulu/371,000 32,735 1979
B.B. 10,300
University of Idaho 12,824 16,000 Mosco/21,291 15,175 2005
B.B. 7,000
Louisiana Tech Univ. 12,000 30,600 Ruston/20,546 16,416 2001
B.B. 31,900
Univsersity of Nevada 15,540 31,900 Reno/180,480 15,076 2000
B.B. 11,200
New Mexico State Univ. 16,428 30,343 Las Cruses/74,267 12,557 2005
B.B. 13,071
San Jose State Univ. 29,044 30,456 San Jose/894,000 12,506 1996
B.B. 5,000
Utah State University 23,908 25,025 Logan/42,670 10,896 2005
B.B. 10,270

Wouldn't be suprised to see LA Tech in CUSA after the Big East gets a ninth football member from them.

sambini
03-25-2006, 12:08 AM
Then if the SKY doesn't want us. GO TO THE WAC ATTACK+++++++++++++

BisonMav
03-25-2006, 04:27 PM
College football was meant to be played outside. I hope the Bison move back outside someday as it's a much better pure football enviroment.

It sounds good for September and October games, but sometimes November can be miserable. I have been to some cold playoff games, Townson, Virginia Union. Fans were allowed in the BSA at half-time to warm-up. There was nowhere near the attendance figure of the NDSU vs SDSU November game last year. The cold and snow are better than freezing rain too.

Gamehunter
03-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Now the best of both worlds would be if NDSU was to build a bigger outdoor stadium and use it for most of their games. Then if bad weather came about late in November for example, they could run it into the Fargodome if they knew a couple days in advance and there was nothing going on in the Dome. I don't see to many late season games drawing over 19,000 anytime in the near future anyway.

silkamilkamonico
03-25-2006, 07:05 PM
An outdorr stadium would only hurt recruiting.

Maybe not by much but it certainly wouldn't benefit it. *

A big part of the attraction at NDSU is the fact that they play in a dome and not outside in frigid temperatures.

jackrabbit1979
03-25-2006, 09:59 PM
An outdorr stadium would only hurt recruiting.

Maybe not by much but it certainly wouldn't benefit it. *

A big part of the attraction at NDSU is the fact that they play in a dome and not outside in frigid temperatures.

It totally depends on the kid, I have personally known a couple of pretty good football players (All-NCC, etc.) that were recruited by SDSU/NDSU and chose SDSU because they didn't want to play in the dome and on turf. I'm sure there are some that chose the other way, but a lot of real football guys want to play outside (let alone not on turf as it is terrible on your body). It's where football is meant to be played.

MplsBison
03-25-2006, 10:22 PM
I don't really buy a dome as a recruiting help because of the Big 10.

The B10 has some of the nicest outdoor football stadiums in the world. The Gophers are the only ones with a dome.

And now they want a new outdoor stadium.

Of course, none of those teams have to deal with Fargo weather.

Heck, even Mpls. is a shade nicer.

ralph
03-25-2006, 10:27 PM
I think going to a bowl, even if it is a little bowl, is at least as fun for the players as going to the DI-AA championship game.

And often the bowls are in bigger, more exciting cities for the players and fans to have fun in (also easier to travel to).

Seriously, what can you do in Chattanooga? Las Vegas sounds like a way better road trip to me.Seriously, have you ever been to a I-AA playoff game? Do you know players or coaches who have told you a meaningless bowl game is as fun as playing for the NCAA championship? Seriously, have you ever been to Chattanooga?

I have been to many I-AA playoff games and I-A bowl games. Usually the I-AA game is much more intense.

I know and have been told by many players and coaches that playing in the I-AA playoffs is much more fun than a meaningless I-A bowl game.

I have been to Chatty many times and always find it entertaining.

MplsBison
03-25-2006, 10:44 PM
It's pretty obvious that you have a bias toward DI-AA.

I would like to ask the players and coaches from Arkansas State if they would've had more fun playing in the DI-AA championship game.

Also, the playoffs give no money to the schools. Even the smallest bowls pay out nearly a million dollars.

semobison
03-25-2006, 11:44 PM
++++Ralph, anyone on this post should be bias twords 1AA. Thats the division we are in now, and will be for some time. The playoffs are great, right up to the championship. You win and you keep playing, lose you go home for the season.
I went to many d2 playoff games in the 80s and Fargo hasnt had that kind of excitement since. It would GREAT to go go to a playoff game in the Fargodome in a few years.
I dont know anything about Chattenooga, but Im sure they do a fine job hosting the championship. I have friends who went to McAllen, and Florence. They still talk about it when we are tailgating.
D1AA football championships are decided on the field, the way it should be.

Bisonguy
03-26-2006, 02:14 AM
It's pretty obvious that you have a bias toward DI-AA.

I would like to ask the players and coaches from Arkansas State if they would've had more fun playing in the DI-AA championship game.

Also, the playoffs give no money to the schools. Even the smallest bowls pay out nearly a million dollars.

Larger revenue does not always equal larger profit--

Bowl games can prove costly (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/sfc/sfcfs69.htm):

By Steve Wieberg, USA TODAY

Ronen Zilberman, AP
Boston College's Cedric Washington runs pass Arizona State's Ben Fox in the Aloha Bowl.
Arizona State and Boston College played Christmas Day amid the palms and leis in Honolulu, stamping their season a success by getting to the Aloha Bowl. Another 42 college football teams will hit similarly sun-soaked fields in the next eight days, topped by the championship game at the Orange Bowl. But what players, coaches and their fans celebrate, accountants often must tolerate. Financial filings with the NCAA show nearly half the schools that participated in bowls last season lost money just by showing up to play. Eighteen of 38 schools that provided copies of those reports to USA TODAY showed losses, their balance sheets sagging beneath the costs of travel, lodging, meals and tickets. Twelve schools had deficits of more than $100,000. For three, the shortfall exceeded $300,000.

MplsBison
03-26-2006, 04:47 PM
Interesting.

That I did not know.

Does the NCAA pay for teams to travel during the DI-AA playoffs?

TransAmBison
03-26-2006, 09:08 PM
++++Ralph, anyone on this post should be bias twords 1AA. Thats the division we are in now, and will be for some time. The playoffs are great, right up to the championship. You win and you keep playing, lose you go home for the season.
I went to many d2 playoff games in the 80s and Fargo hasnt had that kind of excitement since. It would GREAT to go go to a playoff game in the Fargodome in a few years.
I dont know anything about Chattenooga, but Im sure they do a fine job hosting the championship. I have friends who went to McAllen, and Florence. They still talk about it when we are tailgating.
D1AA football championships are decided on the field, the way it should be.
How often does the team ranked #1 actually win the national championship? That is what the playoffs are for, to rectify the mistakes in the polls. Bowl games don't solve anything. Long live DI-AA. I am completely biased towards DI-AA and am proud of it.

sambini
03-27-2006, 03:28 AM
Playoff football is the answer. I've been to McAllen twice 1981 and 1984. Also 1990 to Florence it was great. But that playoff game againest Pitt State in 1990 at Dacotah Field was electric. Iwish the big boys would do it.

roadwarrior
03-27-2006, 03:33 AM
Playoff football is the answer.

How many playoff games have the members of the WAC been in?

MplsBison
03-27-2006, 07:33 PM
So no one knows if road playoff games are paid for by the NCAA?

silkamilkamonico
03-27-2006, 08:48 PM

I would say they would get revenue if the game was televised.

I would say there is no revenue for playoff games, but I could be wrong.

And in bowl games, the school only gets a small portion of the bowl money, the majority of it goes to the conference that school is representing. *It's part of the reason why Notre Dame chooses to stay an Independant, so they can gain fully from the revenue. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

And I'm completely against the bowl system. *It's an absurd 'decision-making' process of going about finding the national champion.

How do you have a system in which a program competing in the best conference in the nation goes undefeated the entire year (Aurburn anyone?), plays some of the best teams in the nation, doesn't lose a single game the entire year, and doesn't even have the oppurtunity to compete for the National Champioship? *If that isn't a joke of a playoff system I don't know what is.

Can you imagine a team like Duke/UCONN/North Carolina in basketball, having the dominant teams they've had in the past and not even have the oppurtunity?

What a joke.

I don't care about money, revenue, prestige, wealth. *The one tradional thing I love about sports is the ability of these kids to work extremely hard for a goal in mind of being the best and then having some kind of oppurtunity to achieve that goal.

That's the true excitement of sports is the extremes of the emotions, from utter elation to extreme disappointment and heartache.

Stay Division 1-AA NDSU, at least until D1A has some kind of playoff system.

Bisonguy
03-27-2006, 09:40 PM

They do.

Division I-AA Championship Handbook (http://www.ncaa.org/library/handbooks/football/2005/2005_d1aa_football_handbook.pdf)

Official Traveling Party
[Reference: Per Diem and Transportation in the Division I General Section.]
Transportation expenses and a $110 per diem will be provided for each member of
the official traveling party. The size of the official traveling party is 100 persons for the
first-round, quarterfinal and semifinal contests, and 115 persons for the championship
game, including a maximum of 56 student-athletes in uniform for all games.

Of course, these costs are taken from the gate revenue from the host team (up until the championship), but there's no ticket purchase requirement.

Hammerhead
03-30-2006, 05:09 AM
There's nothing like playoff football. I went to the championship game in Florence when we beat USD in 1986 and attended almost all of the playoff games in Fargo during the 80s and the one playoff game up in Grand Sucks.

I-A football is like figure skating where the judges vote on a winner instead of using head-to-head competition. ;D

Scooter
03-30-2006, 04:54 PM
I like to read about all the speculation of jumping right to the WAC. It shows the difference between true players and the "also rans". However, I don't think that 1A football is a good fit for NDSU at this time or the near future. I've seen a lot of businesses go under because they tried to bite off more than they could handle. Let's become a 1AA power and show everyone that we want to be in 1AA, not the kid who immediately wants to take his ball and go somewhere else. I like 1AA football, the future for NDSU in football is 1AA, not 1A. We will get into a conference and are already competative. Just be patient.

buffalobill
03-30-2006, 06:36 PM
I like to read about all the speculation of jumping right to the WAC. *It shows the difference between true players and the "also rans". *However, I don't think that 1A football is a good fit for NDSU at this time or the near future. *I've seen a lot of businesses go under because they tried to bite off more than they could handle. *Let's become a 1AA power and show everyone that we want to be in 1AA, not the kid who immediately wants to take his ball and go somewhere else. *I like 1AA football, the future for NDSU in football is 1AA, not 1A. *We will get into a conference and are already competative. *Just be patient. *
I was here when we were at this comparable 1-AA level back in the 60's and early 70's. The move should have been made then and for a variety of reasons it didn't happen. My biggest fear is that D-1AA will become an ugly red-headed stepchild like D-II became. All the other sports had to make the move to D-1 why should football be any different. My personal opinion is that a division is going to build in 1-AA and the top level is going to move up and eventually some type of playoff will result at the highest level. Being able to compete for initially a bowl game and hopefully sooner than later a conference affiliation that will have one or possibly more qualifiers for a national championship playoff system is what we should strive for, nothing less. As for players and also rans I always had respect for any team member regardless of their status and felt ONCE A BISON ALWAYS A BISON!!!!!

sambini
03-30-2006, 09:06 PM
wac attacl+++++++++++++++++++

broke_back_mnt
03-30-2006, 10:29 PM
I dont think waiting around until we are a DI-AA power is the right goal. We should, in order to avoid the problem of too big of bite, wait until our budget is stabalized and shows the potential for the extra Million of so we will need. By my calculations it should take about 5 yrs or so.

BisonBacker
03-30-2006, 10:55 PM
I'll trust Chapmans, Taylors and Bohls vision for the program and NDSU as a whole. They are leaders not followers. Either get on board or get out of the way ;D

sambini
03-31-2006, 12:56 AM
LEAD,follow or get the hell out the way. What do you think BUFFALO BILL? WAC ATTACK++++++++++++++

Scooter
03-31-2006, 03:52 AM
As for players and also rans I always had respect for any team member regardless of their status and felt ONCE A BISON ALWAYS A BISON!!!!! * * *
Buffalobill, I appolagize if you got the wrong impression when I said "players" *I wasn't referring to players on a team, but more in reference to an organization being a "player" by taking the steps to grow as opposed to an institution that is scared to take that first step. *Those institutions being the "also rans". I thought, these guys think Big, and that's good. But, by jumping ahead to fast before you're ready could spell disaster for a program. That, I don't want to see. I simply said 1A is not a good fit for us now or the NEAR future.

bincitysioux
03-31-2006, 04:32 AM
I-A football is like figure skating where the judges vote on a winner instead of using head-to-head competition. ;D
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

sambini
03-31-2006, 04:48 AM
Didn't number 2 ranked TEXAS beat number 1 ranked USC in the BCS National Championship game. ThatS THE SYSTEM WE HAVE TO LIVE WITH. tILL THEY GET A PLAYOFF SYSTEM. BOWLS HAVE TO MUCH MONEY AND CONTROL. I WOULD LIKE A 16 TEAM PLAYOFF.