PDA

View Full Version : Chuck South Post Game Thoughts

Pages : [1] 2

Kevin
08-28-2016, 03:33 AM
1) Stick is a stud. Even on that int (that seemed like confusion between he and Legendowski) he hustled to make a game saving tackle. Very happy to have him at the helm for the next few years.
2) Defense noticeably softer without De Luca despite an awesome job by Plank. Let's hope it's minor.
3) CSU's QB is tough as nails. He took some serious shots in that game and kept coming back to make solid throws from the pocket.
4) The running back by committee approach needs to go away. Let one guy get a hot hand. I say King and Anderson alternating series ala the Bohl era.
5) 52 yard field goal? That was huge and completely unexpected.
6) Run Stick more.
7) Penalties were our biggest obstacle again. Can't have that become a trend.
8) Secondary seemed solid. We'll see how solid against EWU.

Great to have another season under way. This team will come together with a little time.

Bison-Knuckle
08-28-2016, 03:34 AM
NDSU punting game needs major improvement

MontBison
08-28-2016, 03:38 AM
Glad I'm not going to Iowa. It's going to be ugly. And it's good pgt didn't learn how to tackle in the offseason.

GOBISON123
08-28-2016, 03:40 AM
NDSU punting game needs major improvement

Agree, Ben LeCompte was solely missed.

yopaulie
08-28-2016, 03:41 AM
Secondary vs. Iowa seems pretty scary to me from a matchup point of view.

Surprised by oline performance, although maybe shouldn't have been, given 3 new starters tonight. They played better as game progressed.

Polasek...why do I have this image in my mind of Klieman having to scold him into making decent play calls? Not saying its true, but he often goes off on wrong plans.

Kevin
08-28-2016, 03:42 AM
Agree, Ben LeCompte was solely missed.

We've been spoiled by top notch punters going back to Drago and maybe even further back I can't recall. I just know it's been a long time since I've been concerned before we punt.

The holds on fg and xp's seems suspect as well.

ZHerd
08-28-2016, 03:42 AM
Running back by committee has to stop...but it won't. I'm glad to see Stick come out making big plays and getting the win in a pressure game much like our previous two QBs. Very encouraging

SoCalBison
08-28-2016, 03:43 AM
We have a lot to work on. Glad we escaped with the win against a scrappy Chuck South team that brought its A game.

tony
08-28-2016, 03:44 AM
How many of you thought the long TD pass to RJ was going to be overthrown? Seems like we've seen so many of those passes be just a foot too long. That was beautiful.

Bisonwinagn
08-28-2016, 03:44 AM
Bison have some mistakes to clean up especially the penalties. Defense is going to dominate this season. CSU is much better than Montana was last year so not going to say anything negative unless they struggle with EWU which shouldn't be close. Good defensive teams are always a tough matchup for NDSU so not surprised by a close low scoring game. I had it 21-13 so not too far off.

Kingslayer
08-28-2016, 03:46 AM
Running back by committee has to stop...but it won't. I'm glad to see Stick come out making big plays and getting the win in a pressure game much like our previous two QBs. Very encouraging
Couldn't agree more..nobody can get a good rhythm going.

Hammerhead
08-28-2016, 03:47 AM
How many of you thought the long TD pass to RJ was going to be overthrown? Seems like we've seen so many of those passes be just a foot too long. That was beautiful.

Watching it on TV, I did. Nice to see receivers hit in stride.

Kingslayer
08-28-2016, 03:48 AM
1) Stick is a stud. Even on that int (that seemed like confusion between he and Legendowski) he hustled to make a game saving tackle. Very happy to have him at the helm for the next few years.
2) Defense noticeably softer without De Luca despite an awesome job by Plank. Let's hope it's minor.
3) CSU's QB is tough as nails. He took some serious shots in that game and kept coming back to make solid throws from the pocket.
4) The running back by committee approach needs to go away. Let one guy get a hot hand. I say King and Anderson alternating series ala the Bohl era.
6) Run Stick more.

Great to have another season under way. This team will come together with a little time.

1. Stick is pretty good..I wouldn't say stud just yet. Should have had another int brought to the house but it was dropped.\
8. Secondary was not good tonight..
otherwise your spot on.

bisonpride4ever
08-28-2016, 03:48 AM
Plank I thought did well in relief of Deluca. He will be very important if Deluca's injury is as serious as the radio guys make it seem.

I think they really missed Kuhnert. O-Line seemed very inconsistent.

I really hope the coaching staff picks a running back and let them do their thing. I know they probably won't but I would be nice to see.

Penalties were brutal. They need to clean that up.

All in all it was a win, albeit and ugly one, versus a good team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tcbison
08-28-2016, 03:51 AM

Count me in on that one! It ended up being perfect but I thought it would have been a touch too long.

Kevin
08-28-2016, 03:51 AM
1. Stick is pretty good..I wouldn't say stud just yet. Should have had another int brought to the house but it was dropped.\
8. Secondary was not good tonight..
otherwise your spot on.

No? I watched it on tv from the comforts of my Vegas hotel room after a few too many beers so maybe I missed it but we seemed sound on the outside against the pass. I did notice we got lucky a time or two down the seams though.

As for Stick I think he earned the stud title before this game but he showed some real poise. That dropped pick six gave me Jensen flashbacks as well.

Kingslayer
08-28-2016, 03:54 AM
No? I watched it on tv from the comforts of my Vegas hotel room after a few too many beers so maybe I missed it but we seemed sound on the outside against the pass. I did notice we got lucky a time or two down the seams though.

As for Stick I think he earned the stud title before this game but he showed some real poise. That dropped pick six gave me Jensen flashbacks as well.
The outside corners were exposed I thought. And some missed tackles and penalties... the pick 6 in a playoff game comes to mind to go down 14-0..

onbison09
08-28-2016, 03:57 AM
Don't got much to add, but it shows how spoiled we are that people are upset after a win. We got work to do, but the sky isn't falling.

oldmantutters
08-28-2016, 04:00 AM
I have to disagree with bisonpride4ever, I really don't think not having Kuenert was the bad spot in the o-line. The left guard was beat early and often.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

bisonmike2
08-28-2016, 04:02 AM
O line sucked. That left side is going to get stick kiled if they don't fix it. CB'S had a rough night but that option shit is hard to prep for. Solid effort by CSU. They looked like a top 10 team. Our punter is not as good as lecompte. I know, big surprise there.

Bison bison
08-28-2016, 04:04 AM
im a csu fan.

SportsLover
08-28-2016, 04:06 AM
I'll take a win, no matter how it comes. I think O-Line has room for improvement. It's crazy to look at the stats to see we had 200+ rushing yards, it really didn't seem like we were that successful. Hopefully the punting game can improve, not looking for LeCompte stats but a lot better total net yardage. Defense was solid especially stopping the run in the middle and not giving up a big play. Other then the INT Stick was solid, wish he had more direct runs called. Having two weeks to watch tape before the next game will be nice, hopefully Deluca's injury isn't too serious.

Kevin
08-28-2016, 04:08 AM
im a csu fan.

Same. Some people gave me shit last year for how annoyed I was by the online Jacksonville St and Richmond fans but CSU fans, players and coaches all seem top notch and knowledgeable. I'll be rooting for them in their conference and against any team not named NDSU.

Bisonator98
08-28-2016, 04:08 AM
Oline needs lots of work. Secondary needs lots of work. Special teams and particularily punting needs lots of work. Stick needs to make quicker throws. Several of his passes were late. His deep balls looked better. Play calling is suspect again. Run the damn ball!

IBleedYellow
08-28-2016, 04:12 AM
CSU is a class program.

I still can't believe we had as many yards on offense as the stats show...it seems like their D stopped us every step of the way.

IBleedYellow
08-28-2016, 04:12 AM
CSU is a class program.

I still can't believe we had as many yards on offense as the stats show...it seems like their D stopped us every step of the way.

CAS4127
08-28-2016, 04:13 AM
There was nothing physical about our offense today/tonight AT ALL. They were expecting that and when it didn't come, they knew they were in the game.

And when we get rolling on O, get the fuck going and keep the pressure on them. Didn't happen.

Sent from my iPhone.

onbison09
08-28-2016, 04:19 AM
Any word on DeLuca?

ndsubison1
08-28-2016, 04:20 AM
Glad I'm not going to Iowa. It's going to be ugly. And it's good pgt didn't learn how to tackle in the offseason.

Shore some things up and we'll be fine

ndsubison1
08-28-2016, 04:21 AM
Bison have some mistakes to clean up especially the penalties. Defense is going to dominate this season. CSU is much better than Montana was last year so not going to say anything negative unless they struggle with EWU which shouldn't be close. Good defensive teams are always a tough matchup for NDSU so not surprised by a close low scoring game. I had it 21-13 so not too far off.

Take Ndsu spread vs EWU. Count on it!

scbison91
08-28-2016, 04:22 AM
Shore some things up and we'll be fine sort of like first game last year when sky was falling.. umm, team improved each week...I think coaches will improve this team like they have last 6 years.

ndsubison1
08-28-2016, 04:23 AM
There was nothing physical about our offense today/tonight AT ALL. They were expecting that and when it didn't come, they knew they were in the game.

And when we get rolling on O, get the fuck going and keep the pressure on them. Didn't happen.

Sent from my iPhone.

Offense did not click but think we'll be fine

Bison_Pride
08-28-2016, 04:24 AM
I'll take the win.

"My oh My"

GOBISON123
08-28-2016, 04:26 AM
6) Run Stick more.

I disagree , Dunn got us some nice 1st downs during the 4th qrt. He had a hard time running through the middle because CSU covered the gap up the middle pretty good. King, Bruce, Lance, Chase I dont see any problem. The issue is Tim Polasek play calling. For example Chase was so effective he rarely stepped on the field. Otherwise I dont see any issue with running 4 RBs

bucs90
08-28-2016, 04:27 AM
Offense did not click but think we'll be fine

Yes. But just to add....our CSU defense held The Citadel to almost nothing on the ground last year and they were the nation's #1 rushing team and went for 250 vs South Carolina. CSU had a very very good FCS defense. You guys are gonna roll in 2016 I'd bet. Very physical team. This loss hurts so so bad. But I'm proud we stood toe to toe for 4 qtrs with a team like NDSU.

NodakGreg
08-28-2016, 04:28 AM
Don't got much to add, but it shows how spoiled we are that people are upset after a win. We got work to do, but the sky isn't falling.

You nailed it. We are so use to seeing a solid, error free football team play, that we have to remember each year a team has to mesh, find their mojo, and build on it. Penalties were horrible, much to work on, refs took away many drives, but we did make penalties so we did screw up, Easton made a TD saving tackle or this game is over even when he threw the pick. So Defense never played against a run option team last year so they survived, but our Online and Tight ends were not involved in down the field pass plays which really bothers me.....

CSU took us out of our plan and Polaski our OC was doing those damn lateral side to side sweeps which don't go anywhere, and they haven't done that correct since Smith graduated.
Our punting distance sucks! maybe 35 yards at best all night. I can't remember the last time an opposing team got the ball inside our 50 yard line. Le Comp was a STUD, miss him.

So we escaped with a win, but lots of work to do before Eastern Washington. Then if we can get that game won, we all get nervous for Iowa. Lets hope we are playing like CSU was in our place on Sept.17th!

We got the win, but oh my.....nerves are shot,
NoDakBisman

MNLonghorn10
08-28-2016, 04:29 AM
Yes. But just to add....our CSU defense held The Citadel to almost nothing on the ground last year and they were the nation's #1 rushing team and went for 250 vs South Carolina. CSU had a very very good FCS defense. You guys are gonna roll in 2016 I'd bet. Very physical team. This loss hurts so so bad. But I'm proud we stood toe to toe for 4 qtrs with a team like NDSU.
Your team is going to be a tough out come playoff time with your option and confusing defense. Will be tough to prep for on a weeks notice. Good luck the rest of the year!

tjbison
08-28-2016, 04:34 AM
complete respect for CSU, played a hell of a game and their crew looked very respectful. Any CSu fans lurking be proud it wasa W for NDSU but damn you boys played us tougher than anyone else from that part of the country.

Enjoyed it, and remember its just an Out of conference game, really like them, great game

Bison_Pride
08-28-2016, 04:49 AM
Nice write up.

http://www.postandcourier.com/20160827/160829410/sapakoff-bison-nation-lore-noise-a-bit-too-much-for-csu

bisonp
08-28-2016, 05:04 AM
Nice write up.

http://www.postandcourier.com/20160827/160829410/sapakoff-bison-nation-lore-noise-a-bit-too-much-for-csu

"The “Let’s go Bison!” chants echoed almost to Grand Forks."

Oh, I'm pretty sure a hawk or two probably herd them.

HerdBot
08-28-2016, 05:06 AM

Sent from my iPhone.

This ^^

Our offensive line was horrible. They were soft and should have man handled their undersized D line. If they can't figure out how to be physical, we're in for a long season.

td577
08-28-2016, 05:07 AM
My thoughts.
1. Our O-line needs to play better. We didn't start moving the ball on the ground until they gave up the dives and started going off tackle. You could also see in the second half the RBs were told to bounce out if the middle was clogged. The defense had a lot to do with this. They were stacking the box and refused to give up the middle of the field on the ground. We are so used to seeing our o-line impose it's will, it was tough seeing them getting stood up a bit. I have no doubt we will see line play get better.
2. We played very well against the option 90% of the time. The other 10% was their big plays. That is going to happen. Sometimes someone gets a few inches out of place and the play blows up in front of you. I think back to pre-dynasty and we would get owned by option teams. Read option, triple option, or whatever option, it didn't matter. Now it is just about keeping the big plays to a minimum, which was somewhat the case, but the 47 yard TD run was brutal.
3. I am not a fan of the RB by committee, but what do you do with guys like Dunn. He looks and plays bigger right now. One football, just so many plays, and a lot of weapons.
4. I thought our DBs played fairly well. I think CSU presented a lot of problems because they are not a full time option team. They mix up their offense very well. Sure their QB wasn't so accurate, but for the most part, our corners were not getting fooled by much. Their technique in pass coverage will improve.
5. Our special teams is a complete mixed bag right now. Our kicker scares me but thankfully got a chance to nail the 52 yarder before half. I am not sure what our punter was trying to do, but I can't imagine a team where special teams has always been a strength will not pull this part of the game together.
6. Lastly, my biggest complaint about the game was the Stick interception. That ball shouldn't have been thrown where it was. Middle of the field or deep, but not an out pattern where someone can jump it. That would have been a nice spot to find one of our TEs or just take the shot down the field and let a receiver work for the ball. Not only did we throw the out pattern, we threw it when most of our offense was now behind the play when the INT happened. NDSU still has a time out, still has the 1st down stopping the clock, and can work the entire field.

A win is a win is a win. CSU is a good team and I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a playoff run. They kept the Bison off-balance enough to make things happen. They are also a team willing to play an ugly game. The almost out-Bisoned us with field position and good defense.

CAS4127
08-28-2016, 05:35 AM
If you watch their D play closely, they were cutting our power run blockers, at least that's what I thought/saw. It's kind of a "cheap" way to defend it, but it can be and was effective. But that's a huge opening for a play-action TE seem pass that we never saw. Would have also been appropriate to use a fake FB dive and quick pitch to TB on the edge. My opinion of course, but some sort of adjustment would have helped once we realized they were doing that to our power blockers.

Sent from my iPhone.

gumby013
08-28-2016, 05:39 AM
If you watch their D play closely, they were cutting our power run blockers, at least that's what I thought/saw. It's kind of a "cheap" way to defend it, but it can be and was effective. But that's a huge opening for a play-action TE seem pass that we never saw. Would have also been appropriate to use a fake FB dive and quick pitch to TB on the edge. My opinion of course, but some sort of adjustment would have helped once we realized they were doing that to our power blockers.

Sent from my iPhone.

They were crashing the inside power so hard, that any sort of boot action would have been open for stick to run or pass.

CAS4127
08-28-2016, 05:41 AM
They were crashing the inside power so hard, that any sort of boot action would have been open for stick to run or pass.

That would have worked also. Agree. But don't run it against Stick's throwing arm. Hate that play with a passion. Heck, NFL QBs can't do that effectively unless it's a called run. Very difficult pass to make.

Sent from my iPhone.

BFKasper14
08-28-2016, 05:43 AM
It was interesting seeing Koonce consistently booming 55 yarders in warmups, but looked like shit during the game. Was it nerves or were they trying to keep it away from the PR?

tjbison
08-28-2016, 05:45 AM
Win is a win, as Tre Dempsey tweeted

"We know what we need to fix"

CSU isn't a bad team, it's not a shame to win in OT over them.

bloodmakesthegrassgrow
08-28-2016, 05:51 AM
http://cool987fm.com/ndsu-2016-season-opener/

"Jacob Smoak came out for the 51 yard field goal. It was blocked, but NDSU took a timeout before the snap and so Smoak got another opportunity with four seconds on the clock.
Smoak’s 51 yard attempt following that was wide left and the game went to overtime with the game tied at 17."

I don't remember hearing anything about this during the game.

tjbison
08-28-2016, 05:53 AM

"Jacob Smoak came out for the 51 yard field goal. It was blocked, but NDSU took a timeout before the snap and so Smoak got another opportunity with four seconds on the clock.
Smoak’s 51 yard attempt following that was wide left and the game went to overtime with the game tied at 17."

The whistles blew for the time out and yes it was blocked, wasn't like it sounds

BisonAccountant44
08-28-2016, 06:09 AM
It was interesting seeing Koonce consistently booming 55 yarders in warmups, but looked like shit during the game. Was it nerves or were they trying to keep it away from the PR?

I don't know what warmup you were watching. Never saw him go more than 35 yards to the point that we thought he was doing it as pinning practice even though it made no sense.

El_Chapo
08-28-2016, 06:33 AM
any word on deluca?

mri tomorrow. Say your prayers

ndsubison1
08-28-2016, 08:51 AM
"The “Let’s go Bison!” chants echoed almost to Grand Forks."

Oh, I'm pretty sure a hawk or two probably herd them.

Saw plenty of Hawk fans in the tailgate lots.

ndsubison1
08-28-2016, 08:57 AM
Had some missed assignments on their options, but thought our defense played pretty well. Believe two guys went after the QB which left the pitchman open on that long td run. At least I think that is the play I'm referring to. Hard to tell from stands sometimes, but thought our corners played fairly well. Will be interesting against EWU in two weeks.

BisonHorns
08-28-2016, 10:44 AM
CSU is a class program.

I still can't believe we had as many yards on offense as the stats show...it seems like the penaltiesstopped us every step of the way.

Fixed it for you.

Bisonfanatical
08-28-2016, 11:09 AM
The penalties were huge momentum stoppers for us. Having said that...

I was very impressed with the the Bucs on both sides of the ball. They came to play. ..and play they did.

Well coached team ... good luck thru the year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BisoninNWMN
08-28-2016, 12:08 PM

Sent from my iPhone.

This here, spot on. CSU's coaching staff game planned it well to stop the pulling lineman......defenders came up to cut them down and create a mass of guys on the ground to bottle up the running game. Cheap yes but effective.

I think the Bison will improve. Defense looked really good. Held that team to 260 yards....I'd take that any day.

Punting needs to improve.

gizmo
08-28-2016, 12:21 PM
This edition of the Bison has more work to do than expected even though that was only the first game. The most pleasant surprise was Cam Peterson nailing a 52 Yard FG. Other than Bruce Anderson, our other RB's were hesitant and slow. There is no Carson Wentz to carry the load this year so the rest need to step it up.

JMB
08-28-2016, 12:29 PM
Had some missed assignments on their options, but thought our defense played pretty well. Believe two guys went after the QB which left the pitchman open on that long td run. At least I think that is the play I'm referring to. Hard to tell from stands sometimes, but thought our corners played fairly well. Will be interesting against EWU in two weeks.

That is what I saw on the long play as well, and they had a great block on the corner to spring him. Now you could ask where was everyone else when he cut back across the entire field to score.

On the second TD, they caught us cheating on the outside option and hit the dive man. They had run the outside stuff so much we got sucked into it. It was a great play call.

1998braves64
08-28-2016, 12:38 PM
The whistles blew for the time out and yes it was blocked, wasn't like it sounds

I think some of the CSU players heard whistles and didn't end up trying and NDSU guys were just going thru the motions. I don't think it was a "legitimate" block per se. Would have been even more soul crushing for them if he had made that one.

MNLonghorn10
08-28-2016, 12:41 PM

No it wasnt blocked...half of their OL didn't even try because they knew there was a timeout called. The snapper, place holder, kicker and blocker just kept the play going

JMB
08-28-2016, 12:45 PM
No it wasnt blocked...half of their OL didn't even try because they knew there was a timeout called. The snapper, place holder, kicker and blocker just kept the play going

Trying to get a practice kick.

MNLonghorn10
08-28-2016, 12:50 PM
Anyone notice the new intro with the weather warning is a carbon copy of what Iowa State does?

"Theres a severe weather warning of THUNDER in the area"..........just laughed to myself on that one.

DakotaOkie
08-28-2016, 12:54 PM
Nice write up.

“The hard part was we couldn’t get our audibles in,” CSU head coach Jamey Chadwell said.

Running back Mike Holloway rushed for 126 years without being able to hear much.

Above is quote from the Post and Courier article...it just seemed like Holloway ran for 126 years. He looked like a very strong runner to me.

A1pigskin
08-28-2016, 01:30 PM
Trying to get a practice kick.

This is what I think it was. It was free.

Hammerhead
08-28-2016, 01:35 PM
On the final kick (after the timeout) some of the CSU lineman raised their arms and jumped like they thought the kick was going to go in.

A1pigskin
08-28-2016, 01:37 PM
On the final kick (after the timeout) some of the CSU lineman raised their arms and jumped like they thought the kick was going to go in.

Jinxed it!!!!

daddy daycare
08-28-2016, 01:37 PM

Stick ran a boot for a 1st down early in the 2nd half....problem was he had a TE - can't remember which one - running WIDE OPEN about 10 yards behind the entire CSU defense. He's gonna see that on tape and shake his head.

MNLonghorn10
08-28-2016, 01:57 PM
Stick ran a boot for a 1st down early in the 2nd half....problem was he had a TE - can't remember which one - running WIDE OPEN about 10 yards behind the entire CSU defense. He's gonna see that on tape and shake his head.

that was bad. yea stick had 15-20 yards...but that dude could've built a campfire

Mr Meaty
08-28-2016, 02:12 PM
Plenty of things to work and still were bright spots as well. Give some credit to CSU , great game plan. Two weeks to get some things straightened out. Win is a win and move onward and upward . Go Bison

SomeBeach
08-28-2016, 02:16 PM
The "bench interference" penalty... they didn't really show or explain on TV. Was that players spilling out onto the sideline, or something else? Regardless, it took 15 yards off a 22 yard gain, and killed a drive.

Mr Meaty
08-28-2016, 02:23 PM
The "bench interference" penalty... they didn't really show or explain on TV. Was that players spilling out onto the sideline, or something else? Regardless, it took 15 yards off a 22 yard game, and killed a drive.

Appears a ref ran into a coach in the white stripe or just plain ran into him. Automatically a penalty no warning on that.

stevdock
08-28-2016, 02:23 PM
The "bench interference" penalty... they didn't really show or explain on TV. Was that players spilling out onto the sideline, or something else? Regardless, it took 15 yards off a 22 yard game, and killed a drive.

Why was there no warning given? Did they get rid of that or just not tell us when the warning was given?

I don't think it killed a drive though as it was still 1st and 10 after the penalty.

SomeBeach
08-28-2016, 02:27 PM
Why was there no warning given? Did they get rid of that or just not tell us when the warning was given?

I don't think it killed a drive though as it was still 1st and 10 after the penalty.

You're absolutely correct... bad choice of words "killed a drive" on my part... I did think it took some momentum away... or may just took the air out of me.

HerdistheWord
08-28-2016, 02:29 PM
I think it will be interesting to see how the defense executes the game plans for the next two games. CSU to EWU to Iowa is going to require week by week adjustments. Different types of offenses going from triple option to the pass happy (spread?) EWU and then a more balanced ground and pound Iowa.

NorthernBison
08-28-2016, 02:32 PM

You won't get a warning if the official makes contact with somebody in the white. He's watching the play on the field and it's the team's responsibility to stay out of the white. Period.

DCinOK
08-28-2016, 02:36 PM
I do not understand why we come out in the first two series of the game and primarily pass the ball. We've done this many games before this and I do not get why we don't start with our strength...our power running game. Seems to me that's the best way to set the tone for the game and in last night's case, the season.

MontBison
08-28-2016, 02:38 PM
I wish they'd get stick on the move some on passing plays. There was a play which i think was in the first half when stick had to roll out due to some pressure and threw an absolute missle to RJ up the sidelines. RJ was just barely out of bounds but it was an almost perfect ball just ran out of room. It was then that i thought dam Easton might be alright. It seems like he does a poor job of leading receivers i.e throws the ball behind them when he just stands still in the pocket.

MontBison
08-28-2016, 02:40 PM
I do not understand why we come out in the first two series of the game and primarily pass the ball. We've done this many games before this and I do not get why we don't start with our strength...our power running game. Seems to me that's the best way to set the tone for the game and in last night's case, the season.

All of this. I seriously think polesack thinks these national TV games are to showcase what he thinks is his great offensive mind. My other favorite is when we tun the same play twice because he worked the first time. Like wtf

Mr Meaty
08-28-2016, 02:43 PM
Going for it on 4th down and 5 was ok but I would have thrown deep instead of the play that was run. The game almost we ended in a pick6. Throw it deep and if int then it is a punt. If a catch could be a td or really short fg attempt. I will hang up and listen to better football minds.

NorthernBison
08-28-2016, 02:43 PM
Premonition sucks.

When I walked into the Fargodome and bought a program, my first thought was " Oh Shit".

#49 was on the cover and I thought about the stretch we went through where it was like a curse to be on that first cover of the season.

MNLonghorn10
08-28-2016, 02:52 PM

wtf are you talking about? They stuffed the power running game from the get go.You have to make the defense honest if you want to break them with your bread and butter....and the way to do that is passing on running downs.

IzzyFlexion
08-28-2016, 03:04 PM
Koonce punted 6 times.

From the NDSU 34: 29 yards,
From the NDSU 44: 34 yards,
From the NDSU 36: 34 yards.
From the NDSU 46: 30 yards.
From the NDSU 36: 36 yards.
From the NDSU 10: 32 yards.

No touchbacks, no pooch punts, and nothing placed inside the 20 making these numbers even worse.
This is much more than missing a great punter that graduated or "being spoiled".

DCinOK
08-28-2016, 03:04 PM
I agree. It's like he knows that by calling Power frequently that even though it works for 4 yards a pop, no one will say "Great play call by the OC!" If he calls so-called "creative" plays other than Power, he looks more...."creative."

BisoninNWMN
08-28-2016, 03:08 PM
Koonce punted 6 times.

No touchbacks, no pooch punts, and nothing placed inside the 20 making these numbers even worse.
This is much more than missing a great punter that graduated or "being spoiled".

Those numbers need to improve plain and simple.

BFKasper14
08-28-2016, 03:09 PM
I don't know what warmup you were watching. Never saw him go more than 35 yards to the point that we thought he was doing it as pinning practice even though it made no sense.

I was in there at 5:00 watching him punt. Maybe I just saw the good ones. He was standing at the 45 on the opposite side of the field and pretty consistently hitting the goal line. Not saying EVERY punt was like that, but it wasn't awful.

DCinOK
08-28-2016, 03:09 PM
From the get go? Our first two series were primarily called passes. Are not the first two series of the game "the get go?" The "making them honest" bit might come on the 3rd, 4th, or 5th series when they've loaded the box because you're getting 5 yards a pop on a run. The only way to have "bread and butter" is to establish it early in the game. You do that by actually calling for the bread and butter.

As we saw on the first two series, all that "passing on running downs" got the offense was a quick return to resting on the sideline.

CAS4127
08-28-2016, 03:10 PM
Those numbers need to improve plain and simple.

KO's werent good either. The last one was middle of field to about the 5. That is a dangerous KO and CS's returner was close to breaking a TD run. Very concerned about our kicking game in general, but especially punting. That was terrible.

Sent from my iPhone.

BYZEN
08-28-2016, 03:14 PM
Koonce punted 6 times.

IMHO, Koonce appears to be setting up a step to close to his blocking backs cutting off the angle and forcing him to sky the ball.

NodakNate
08-28-2016, 03:14 PM

Sent from my iPhone.

I was seeing the same thing as well. Our RB's had to hurdle our pulling lineman on multiple occasions, which slowed them down and allowed the other defenders to catch up. There were also times when submarining the lineman was effective enough to take out our RB as well. I remember watching several plays develop and thinking that we were going to break it for a long run only to have one of their players undercut our lead blocker and blow up the entire play.

Ndsu84
08-28-2016, 03:19 PM
CSU was a very good team and deserves respect. That said, some adjustments at half time would have been nice. Our play calling makes everything difficult.

I sure hope Deluca is alright, I looked forward to watching him all summer.

A couple guys on defense looked totally spent in the 4th quarter, not used to seeing that. There were plays our defenders were pursuing like someone else was going to make the tackle. WTF? CSU was tough but make them wish they were on their ffffing airplane!

The Bison are great but our crowd and maybe even the players weren't as fired up as if it was Jacksonville State coming in. CSU is as good as the cocks.

Bison20
08-28-2016, 03:24 PM
Maybe this is the reason that koonce lost his spot on his other team. It's going to be a long year if he punts like this every game. Stick needs to throw the ball earlier, seems like he waited to long on several passes that let the defense recover after they were initially open.

NodakNate
08-28-2016, 03:25 PM
This may not be the right thread to say this, but their RB's were big, physical, and fast. We missed some tackles at times, which is uncharacteristic of our D. However, I chalk that up to them having two solid RBs. I also believe that they will make a deep playoff run.

BisoninNWMN
08-28-2016, 03:26 PM
This may not be the right thread to say this, but their RB's were big, physical, and fast. We missed some tackles at times, which is uncharacteristic of our D. However, I chalk that up to them having two solid RBs. I also believe that they will make a deep playoff run.

They were not big but they were quick.

oldmantutters
08-28-2016, 03:30 PM
I was in there at 5:00 watching him punt. Maybe I just saw the good ones. He was standing at the 45 on the opposite side of the field and pretty consistently hitting the goal line. Not saying EVERY punt was like that, but it wasn't awful.

What you need to remember is he will be receiving the snap 10-15 yards behind the LOS and those 10-15 yards don't count for shit. So he was "booming" them for 40 yards.

DakotaOkie
08-28-2016, 03:36 PM
Koonce punted 6 times.

There are many reasons a player changes schools...poor performance leading to lack of playing time can be one. His 2015 stats would seem to reflect reduced playing time. 2015 had an SMU kicker take over punting duties with somewhat better results whatever the reasons were behind that change (injury, personal, etc). I will hope the Bison coaches can get Mr Koonce performing at a higher level very quickly.

Career Punting Statistics
Season GP ATT YDS Long AVG TB FC I20 50+ BLK
2014 12 74 3017 60 40.8 3 14 14 8 0
2015 4 27 1069 54 39.6 2 6 3 3 2
Total 16 101 4086 60 40.5 5 20 17 11 2

(on edit...sorry, but the stats don't display in the same manner as they do when I typed them in)

EndZoneQB
08-28-2016, 03:39 PM
CSU was a very good team and deserves respect. That said, some adjustments at half time would have been nice. Our play calling makes everything difficult.

I sure hope Deluca is alright, I looked forward to watching him all summer.

A couple guys on defense looked totally spent in the 4th quarter, not used to seeing that. There were plays our defenders were pursuing like someone else was going to make the tackle. WTF? CSU was tough but make them wish they were on their ffffing airplane!

The Bison are great but our crowd and maybe even the players weren't as fired up as if it was Jacksonville State coming in. CSU is as good as the cocks.

I thought the dome was incredibly dull last night. At least 40-50% of my section was sitting down the entire game. And it's fine if you don't want to stand up, but make some noise my god.

bucs90
08-28-2016, 03:42 PM
They were not big but they were quick.

Our guy Hammond was a Final 5 finalist for Mr Football in high school in SC. Of the 5 the other 4 went to SEC/ACC schools ND were all big time 4/5 star type recruits. STILL haven't figured out how or why Hammond wasn't signed by a major school. But I'm glad we landed him somehow.

CSU has long been a place where guys "end up at" . For better or worse. We've never lacked raw talent. Just so much instability with coaching staff assistants bc pay sucks and they come and go yearly. Chadwells biggest accomplishment aside from the wins is keeping a staff together for 4 years. The stability and continuity pays off.

For the record I'm now a huge NDSU fan for 2016. I want you guys to win out and be #1 because if we win the Big South....having an OT thriller in Fargo vs #1 will help our resume. And we want The Citadel (our in city rival) again at our place haha!!!! Go Bucs and Go Bison, yall boys go win out!

Kingslayer
08-28-2016, 03:44 PM
I thought the dome was incredibly dull last night. At least 40-50% of my section was sitting down the entire game. And it's fine if you don't want to stand up, but make some noise my god.
That's pretty ridiculous..especially when there are people out there that would have killed to be at the game and make a hell of a lot of noise!

BisonHorns
08-28-2016, 03:44 PM
Our endzone was standing and yelling at 90 percent the whole time the defense was on the field.

El_Chapo
08-28-2016, 03:49 PM
That's pretty ridiculous..especially when there are people out there that would have killed to be at the game and make a hell of a lot of noise!

There's Way too many people hoarding season tickets with kids, grandPa, etc. they aren't loud, they just sit there. We need a way to push some of these hoarders out

BisoninNWMN
08-28-2016, 03:50 PM

This here.

Our section was yelling our asses off.

Not every game can be GSU 2.0.

NodakNate
08-28-2016, 03:51 PM

The ESPN announcers mentioned on several occasions that the NDSU had been quieted by CSU during the third quarter. I thought it was just ESPN trying to find a story line and really stretching. However, it's tough to determine noise level when watching on TV and there is a part of me that is fearful fans in the Dome will eventually become complacent (even when it's the first game of the year on national television).

MNLonghorn10
08-28-2016, 03:53 PM
anyone notice the beat the traffic crowd leave before OT? what the hell?

oldmantutters
08-28-2016, 03:56 PM
Pisses me off when people don't make any noise. I'm up standing and yelling every game I go to. I understand that isn't for everyone, but is it so fucking hard to at least clap to make some noise?

scottietohottie
08-28-2016, 03:59 PM
1. Still the champs last time I checked.

2. That fcs kickoff game is a tough one.

3. Tim Polasek :facepalm:

BisoninNWMN
08-28-2016, 04:02 PM

CSU was determined to stop the inside power running game and did a pretty good job. Sometimes I think coach P is to bull headed sometimes.

GOBISON123
08-28-2016, 04:02 PM

The loudest I have witnessed was the Georgia Southern game during the playoffs, everygame after that, the crowd has been passive.

MAKBison
08-28-2016, 04:04 PM
anyone notice the beat the traffic crowd leave before OT? what the hell?

And the alstudents:hide::innocent:

CalBison97
08-28-2016, 04:05 PM
Koonce punted 6 times.

In a dome too. Can't imagine what these numbers would be outdoors in even the slightest of weather conditions.

Kingslayer
08-28-2016, 04:05 PM
The loudest I have witnessed was the Georgia Southern game during the playoffs, everygame after that, the crowd has been passive.
Both GSU games were electric. Glad I was a part of them both. I agree with you, the crowd just cant quite get to that level since then...the UNI playoff game last year was pretty loud at times...especially after the "phantom whistle" in the stands..

bison_by_blood
08-28-2016, 04:20 PM
Things I'm not worried about:
Play calling - Every year brings early season complaints and it magically gets fixed as the season goes on.
Running game - Stick and Bruce will get more carries, the committee is a luxury to keep guys fresh for late season
O Line - Kuhnert was missed and CSU had some really impressive schemes
Secondary - 8 completions for 94 yards doesn't seem like an issue to me

Things I am worried about:
Punting - Man up and improve, period.
DeLuca - Plank was ready but there is no replacing Nick
Energy - They say the hardest thing to do in football is 6peat. From the fans on down, everyone was a little flat

GOBISON123
08-28-2016, 04:26 PM
SB Nation Post Game Review.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/8/27/12677046/north-dakota-state-charleston-southern-final-score

ByeSonBusiness
08-28-2016, 04:27 PM
Anyone notice the new intro with the weather warning is a carbon copy of what Iowa State does?

"Theres a severe weather warning of THUNDER in the area"..........just laughed to myself on that one.

Hook 'em. Weather warning. Only a matter of time before Wabash cannonball, Rock Chalk, and Boomer Sooner are heard reverberating in the dome.

CAS4127
08-28-2016, 04:31 PM
From the get go? Our first two series were primarily called passes. Are not the first two series of the game "the get go?" The "making them honest" bit might come on the 3rd, 4th, or 5th series when they've loaded the box because you're getting 5 yards a pop on a run. The only way to have "bread and butter" is to establish it early in the game. You do that by actually calling for the bread and butter.

As we saw on the first two series, all that "passing on running downs" got the offense was a quick return to resting on the sideline.

Not to mention that we would have seen earlier rather than later what their scheme/plan was to stop power run. Instead, we didn't see it until late 1st quarter/early second. Adjustments are difficult to when you don't know what adjustments you need to make.

Sent from my iPhone.

thebigund
08-28-2016, 04:35 PM
Saw plenty of Hawk fans in the tailgate lots.

I only saw one other one.... it was much less hostile this time around though.

heffray
08-28-2016, 04:37 PM
Things...

Energy - They say the hardest thing to do in football is 6peat...

I pretty much agree with everything, but, when has this ever been said? Who's they? Do you have a clip?

CAS4127
08-28-2016, 04:39 PM
I pretty much agree with everything, but, when has this ever been said? Who's they? Do you have a clip?

Plus, who has ever been a position to 6-peat?

Sent from my iPhone.

heffray
08-28-2016, 04:40 PM
Plus, who has ever been a position to 6-peat?

Sent from my iPhone.

Ha. I think he was being sarcastic, but I don't see any purple. So.

thebootfitter
08-28-2016, 04:52 PM
Does anyone have a link to CSU's post game pressers? I searched YouTube and Google and didn't find anything.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

BisonHorns
08-28-2016, 04:57 PM
"They say the hardest thing to do is 6peat." That made my day! Hilarious, timely, beautiful..... It is great because it has never been said before ever. You sir can relax on the couch today.

BisonHorns
08-28-2016, 05:01 PM
Any links to CSU post game conference video or quotes?

MNLonghorn10
08-28-2016, 05:17 PM
I only saw one other one.... it was much less hostile this time around though.

were you in the Toews white jersey?

thebigund
08-28-2016, 05:18 PM
were you in the Toews white jersey?

No, you wish, I did see that guy though.... what a tool. I wore black to support my bucs.

OatmealWicket92
08-28-2016, 05:43 PM
Trying to figure out if the whole RB committee is to keep guys fresh for the playoffs or something else, but it doesn't let a guy get into a flow. Idk, I felt like we tried to play the lateral game too much yesterday which played right into their lateral speed.

OatmealWicket92
08-28-2016, 05:50 PM
All in all though, I am excited football is back and that's all that matters. That, and bison winning.

roadwarrior
08-28-2016, 05:55 PM
The hail damage on the car really sucks.

CaBisonFan
08-28-2016, 05:58 PM
Could you guys hear the hail inside the dome? Thought maybe I heard it on the broadcast.

Mr Meaty
08-28-2016, 06:03 PM
Could you guys hear the hail inside the dome? Thought maybe I heard it on the broadcast.

It hailed around 1:30 Saturday we were in tailgating lots

No_Skill
08-28-2016, 06:16 PM

Yep. Calling the adjuster first thing tomorrow.

BisonCardinal
08-28-2016, 06:50 PM
Koonce punted 6 times.

Hope Jackson gets it together. Who was our backup punter last year? Can Cam punt?

HerdBot
08-28-2016, 07:02 PM

Me too. Damn the dome itself probably has a good 20 million in damages. 7500 cars x 2500 a car...

Mr Meaty
08-28-2016, 07:03 PM
Hope Jackson gets it together. Who was our backup punter last year? Can Cam punt?

I do agree with punting distance needs to improve , but were we trying to keep it away from the good return game. Therefore you punt high for complete punt coverages

ndsubison1
08-28-2016, 07:28 PM

Some apparent things to work on. Game looked like it was going the route of USD last year. CSU is a likely playoff team and returned 8 starters on an already good Fcs defense

BFKasper14
08-28-2016, 08:25 PM
What you need to remember is he will be receiving the snap 10-15 yards behind the LOS and those 10-15 yards don't count for shit. So he was "booming" them for 40 yards.

I apologize for using the word booming. All I'm saying is he looked way better in warmups than he did in the game. Cue the captain obvious comments that are going to say "well DURR! It was warmups!"

GOBISON123
08-28-2016, 08:45 PM

I will be surprised if you are not among the top 3 teams in FCS top 25 rankings next week.

17>1
08-28-2016, 09:11 PM
Football season is back in full swing with a game under our belt. I've got about 20 different things on my mind to discuss about last night, but covering each and every thought in one post is almost overwhelming. I've seen plenty of comments from others that I want to address but am just going to give it a few more days to do so. I'm super happy the Bison are 1-0 to start the 2016 season and am glad we have 2 weeks before our next game as there a lot of things they can do to improve.

Jelo
08-28-2016, 09:41 PM
CSU local news coverage. Really like their coach - have to believe it is going to be tough for them to keep him.

http://www.live5news.com/clip/12692154/video-csus-jamey-chadwell-after-loss-to-north-dakota-state

http://www.live5news.com/story/32856463/csu-falls-to-north-dakota-state-in-ot-24-17

http://abcnews4.com/sports/college-football/charleston-southern-opens-season-against-top-ranked-north-dakota-state

MHDBisonfan
08-28-2016, 09:50 PM
Punting was a major concern. How many times last year was a punt sort of a game-changer? Especially at home. Really, how many teams are going to drive 85-95 yards on us - I'm not going to go look it up, but I'd be curious how many 85+ yard drives we gave up last year. And how many times did Lacompte (and the coverage team) do better than that by downing the ball on the 1,2, or 3 yard line. Not only does that almost guarantee a non-scoring drive by our opponent, it really can ramp up the crowd too, as the end zone crowd really can get on the opponents when they are pinned that deep. Or flipping the field with a 60 yard punt. We were totally spoiled the last few years, and that must get better.

2 board comments - I wish they would have shut off those advertising only scroll boards or whatever they're called above the 4 corner entrances while the team was getting ready to run in. It stayed way too light with those things lighting up the field. Second, I've never been a fan of things like "make some noise" or whatever showing up on the boards telling us when to cheer. I know when to cheer. I'm guessing most of the fans who have been going to games for years know when to cheer. I've always felt like those have been slightly insulting somehow. Just my opinion. The actual boards themselves look good.

bison_by_blood
08-28-2016, 10:34 PM

Wow, really? They is the universal they. "The hardest thing to do in football (or sports) is repeat" is a common saying. I changed it to 6peat. It's a play on words. Got it?

Bison56
08-28-2016, 10:45 PM
How tough is Copeland? Don't see many guys take a beating like he did and keep making plays.

bloodmakesthegrassgrow
08-28-2016, 11:24 PM
http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/more-sports/charleston-s-17--ndsu-24----f-ot----espn/64978095/

Fun reading.

HerdBot
08-28-2016, 11:32 PM
After rewatching the game, I'm not as worried about our offense as I was after the game. It's a collection of horribly timed penalties, horribly timed drops, and poor execution on some pretty simple things. I mean really... When a coach gets a penalty it's just your day. But we still found a way to win

td577
08-28-2016, 11:47 PM
http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/more-sports/charleston-s-17--ndsu-24----f-ot----espn/64978095/

Fun reading.

That was some good stuff.

bloodmakesthegrassgrow
08-28-2016, 11:56 PM

Yep, the Tiger Droppings thread from the 2013 Kansas State game was really, really good.

thundarsdaddy
08-29-2016, 12:10 AM

They were upset in the Dome as well!! Not everyone of course...but the loudmouths were, and personally I hate that! My 2 cents on the game....CSU game-planned this game for months, that was obvious. We, as a play-calling staff have tendencies, and when things go the wrong way, our plays get more and more obvious, for example, that inside screen. Its a great play with a ton of past success, but, like the jet sweep, we run it too often. If CSU watched film...they found our go-to-plays, and the inside screen is one of them. We ran it on the first possession, and I have no idea if CSU read it, or guessed, but they blitzed heavily, as our o-line was "chipping" their men, then King F. ran into the middle looking for the pass. Trouble was 4 guys were all over Easton, and their very first defensive stand against the Bison, was a total success...in the Dome, where they came out not intimidated one bit by playing the National Champs at home, when our crowd noise never intimidated them, because we were on offense, and they gained a lot of confidence right away. To me, CSU kinda reminded me of NDSU about 6 years ago or so....hungry, confident and no away crowd could intimidate us....looking to just outplay the other teams with football skills based on hard-work....no tricky shit, no gimmicks..just football!
Add to that they played right with us throughout the 4'th quarter...this time we had to beat the other team in the FIFTH Quarter!!

Either way we won...learned a bunch of stuff, and can expect the same from EWU...they will pay us tough! Trouble is, for them, we will be even tougher!!

BisoninNWMN
08-29-2016, 12:34 AM
They were upset in the Dome as well!! Not everyone of course...but the loudmouths were, and personally I hate that! My 2 cents on the game....CSU game-planned this game for months, that was obvious. We, as a play-calling staff have tendencies, and when things go the wrong way, our plays get more and more obvious, for example, that inside screen. Its a great play with a ton of past success, but, like the jet sweep, we run it too often. If CSU watched film...they found our go-to-plays, and the inside screen is one of them. We ran it on the first possession, and I have no idea if CSU read it, or guessed, but they blitzed heavily, as our o-line was "chipping" their men, then King F. ran into the middle looking for the pass. Trouble was 4 guys were all over Easton, and their very first defensive stand against the Bison, was a total success...in the Dome, where they came out not intimidated one bit by playing the National Champs at home, when our crowd noise never intimidated them, because we were on offense, and they gained a lot of confidence right away. To me, CSU kinda reminded me of NDSU about 6 years ago or so....hungry, confident and no away crowd could intimidate us....looking to just outplay the other teams with football skills based on hard-work....no tricky shit, no gimmicks..just football!
Add to that they played right with us throughout the 4'th quarter...this time we had to beat the other team in the FIFTH Quarter!!

Either way we won...learned a bunch of stuff, and can expect the same from EWU...they will pay us tough! Trouble is, for them, we will be even tougher!!

The Bison outgained them by a ton but the game was won in OT. Their punter was their MVP with his punting last night. We didn't have that with Koonce last night. The Bison usually win the field position game but not last night.

NDSU1980
08-29-2016, 12:40 AM
The Bison outgained them by a ton but the game was won in OT. Their punter was their MVP with his punting last night. We didn't have that with Koonce last night. The Bison usually win the field position game but not last night.
Just seemed like Koonce only cared about seeing how high he could kick it. I know, hang time is important but a little more yardage is an absolute

stevdock
08-29-2016, 01:22 AM
Just seemed like Koonce only cared about seeing how high he could kick it. I know, hang time is important but a little more yardage is an absolute

An interesting question to ask coach tomorrow night would be if this was game planned or does it just need to improve.

Bisonwinagn
08-29-2016, 01:36 AM
The one thing nobody has talked about is the game saving tackle by Stick after the interception. Without his speed and effort to stop them at the 40 this game was over. I think he deserves a lot more credit for that.

BisonFanAnn
08-29-2016, 01:55 AM
The one thing nobody has talked about is the game saving tackle by Stick after the interception. Without his speed and effort to stop them at the 40 this game was over. I think he deserves a lot more credit for that.

Great point! I recall analysts saying that about Carson - what does he do when he gets intercepted? Stick's tackle was a thing of beauty.

Bison20
08-29-2016, 02:34 AM
Has anyone mentioned why we went for it on the 4th down interception and didn't try a 51 yard field goal instead? Cam made a 52 earlier so with 20 seconds left in the game why not take another long fg. Even if he misses we probably go into ot.

Bison 4 Life
08-29-2016, 02:49 AM
Has anyone mentioned why we went for it on the 4th down interception and didn't try a 51 yard field goal instead? Cam made a 52 earlier so with 20 seconds left in the game why not take another long fg. Even if he misses we probably go into ot.

CK said in the post game press conference he didn't feel like he had it and he liked TP's play call. Apparently Stick was supposed to go to the other side with it.

MAKBison
08-29-2016, 02:49 AM

I dont have any issues with the game. Yeah it was bit sloppy etc...first game of the season. Thus, I agree with everything you said. Despite getting CSU's best shot and us trying to give the game away (penalties) we got the W. No panic or giving up from our guys! CSU may have lifted themselves up with a moral victory, but a lot of their stars came out of that game injured. It will be interesting to see if they lost the battle and also lost the war ( the bizon next game curse). I hope not, would love to see them in the PO.

MAKBison
08-29-2016, 02:51 AM
CK said in the post game press conference he didn't feel like he had it and he liked TP's play call. Apparently Stick was supposed to go to the other side with it.

the other side was open

EC8CH
08-29-2016, 03:04 AM
CSU post game video

http://youtu.be/sZ1F8zDPSj4

aces1180
08-29-2016, 03:06 AM

I honestly think the night game took a lot of steam out of people...Typically, tailgating starts midmorning instead of the afternoon...1:30 pm is primetime to start the booze.

marenlee
08-29-2016, 03:10 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3P4m-vIAuU

Brilliant stuff.

AKBison
08-29-2016, 03:20 AM
Chuck South is officially my second favorite FCS team. Classy program, classy coach and hungry players. Someone mentioned that they reminded them of NDSU 6 years ago and I would agree.

marenlee
08-29-2016, 03:28 AM
I'm getting impatient waiting for this game to be posted to youtube. Hopefully "The Game" will post it shortly.

MAKBison
08-29-2016, 03:31 AM
I'm getting impatient waiting for this game to be posted to youtube. Hopefully "The Game" will post it shortly.

It's up on 1660 well the radio version anyway.

marenlee
08-29-2016, 03:32 AM
It's up on 1660 well the radio version anyway.

Listened to that at work and watched most of the replay on watchespn. Trying to download a digital copy to take underway with me. Since my dvr recording stopped well short of the ending.

MAKBison
08-29-2016, 03:34 AM
Listened to that at work and watched most of the replay on watchespn. Trying to download a digital copy to take underway with me. Since my dvr recording stopped well short of the ending.

Mine did that.....right at the pick

Fyi...BISONATION tweeted....ESPN U will replay the game at 9:00 AM tomorrow morning if anyone has day off.Bison VS Charleston

8h

EndZoneQB
08-29-2016, 04:10 AM
I honestly think the night game took a lot of steam out of people...Typically, tailgating starts midmorning instead of the afternoon...1:30 pm is primetime to start the booze.

Honestly, as much as I've been begging for a night game, the day got entirely way too long. If tailgating weren't such a full day process, it wouldn't be so bad.

56BISON73
08-29-2016, 04:33 AM

Its on Demand Direct TV.

56BISON73
08-29-2016, 04:34 AM
Honestly, as much as I've been begging for a night game, the day got entirely way too long. If tailgating weren't such a full day process, it wouldn't be so bad.

So you really dont need another 2-3 hours of tailgating?:biggrin:

NDSUSR
08-29-2016, 04:57 AM

"I hope you wake up with pinkeye."

I am in awe of that poster. Hall of fame shit right there.

slips
08-29-2016, 06:22 AM
Typical first game errors and the Bison will fix it and fix it fairly quickly like they always do. Couple things from my view of the game last night:

-O-Line just had to much miscommunication and to many missed assignments
-Stick played a solid game just needs more experience and work on not starring down his receivers and improve his pass timing. No doubt he will continue to get better each game.
-Punting game as mentioned several times on here has to improve. I think he will get a little better but we were spoiled with LeCompe.
-Not horrible play calling on offense but needed something to counter their blitzing aggressiveness. More screen plays and quick slants to vacated blitzing zones

mgbison
08-29-2016, 11:20 AM
I don't know if I've seen it mentioned here, but they need to crank up the music in the dome. Whether its the entrance or between the down, they need to crank it up many notches.

Also, I don't know if Swanny is in charge of music, but some of the crap that was being played was terrible. When Shout is the song of the game, it's embarrassing.

ZHerd
08-29-2016, 11:40 AM

This. YouTube is handy. I noticed yesterday that of all the games provided by one source that only Bama/Clemson and TCU/Oregon had more views than NDSU/JSU

1998braves64
08-29-2016, 11:59 AM
I don't know if I've seen it mentioned here, but they need to crank up the music in the dome. Whether its the entrance or between the down, they need to crank it up many notches.

Also, I don't know if Swanny is in charge of music, but some of the crap that was being played was terrible. When Shout is the song of the game, it's embarrassing.

Entrance music was heard on my part for first time in awhile. The crap played before the game is players' choice. The song of the week is voted on so you can do your part and go to 96.9 next week and vote on the song of the week so we don't have to listen to crap. But I'm guessing the choice is between crap and crap since that is probably directed to the student demographic more than the average Joe fan. Plus if you crank it cookie will complain to FCC letter to the editor and rob port will then use it as a reason to fire Dr. Bresciani.

stevdock
08-29-2016, 12:10 PM
CSU post game video

http://youtu.be/sZ1F8zDPSj4

Very impressive, well spoken group. And it wasn't coach speak or politically correct, they spoke from the heart and still said all the right things. CSU will go far this year. They heal up and fix there things, they will make quite the run this year.

gumby013
08-29-2016, 12:12 PM

The volume was all over the place during the game. For much of the time, it was inaudible. That's a problem for the sheep that have been conditioned to only make noise when promoted to do so.

GreenfieldBison
08-29-2016, 01:18 PM
Very impressive, well spoken group. And it wasn't coach speak or politically correct, they spoke from the heart and still said all the right things. CSU will go far this year. They heal up and fix there things, they will make quite the run this year.

Too right. I really like these guys, and they definitely were good enough to win. I hope they heal well and take it deep into the playoffs. Look forward to meeting them again.

bucs90
08-29-2016, 01:58 PM

That video showed why we love our coach so much. When he almost broke down into tears. How he walks that line of confidence and humility. Sadly the reality of college sports is that he's gonna end up somewhere bigger. But we're gonna enjoy this ride!

bucs90
08-29-2016, 02:00 PM
Too right. I really like these guys, and they definitely were good enough to win. I hope they heal well and take it deep into the playoffs. Look forward to meeting them again.

I truly hope we see NDSU again in playoff. Not that I think it would be any less brutal of a game, but I didn't get to come this time and I'd love to come experience that atmosphere.

Mr Meaty
08-29-2016, 02:01 PM
That video showed why we love our coach so much. When he almost broke down into tears. How he walks that line of confidence and humility. Sadly the reality of college sports is that he's gonna end up somewhere bigger. But we're gonna enjoy this ride!

Enjoy while it lasts. I really like your coach and they way the team buys into him. You got a good thing going and keep it up.

MNLonghorn10
08-29-2016, 02:20 PM
Insurance claim filed lulz

aces1180
08-29-2016, 02:34 PM
Has anybody seen the ratings for Saturday night's game yet? Just curious how it compares to other ESPN games we have had recently.

I assume JJ will mention it on their show?

1993bison
08-29-2016, 02:39 PM
1 reception for our tight ends and that was at the beginning of the game? If they are not gonna pass to them why not go tackle eligible and get some size in the line up? Also, one of my friends said the TE seam pass was there for the taking most of the game? Is that true? I haven't had time to rewatch it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Snowgoose
08-29-2016, 02:45 PM
[QUOTE=1993bison;1144695]1 reception for our tight ends and that was at the beginning of the game? If they are not gonna pass to them why not go tackle eligible and get some size in the line up? Also, one of my friends said the TE seam pass was there for the taking most of the game? Is that true? I haven't had time to rewatch it.

Easton didn't pass much to the TE's last year either. It was mentioned last year that Wentz used the middle of the field a lot more than did Stick as Coach even said Bonnet would have had a much bigger year with Wentz. Jenson struggled using the TE's in the middle of the field as well. This has to be the result of Wentz being able to read the field much better and being more aggressive. Stick did try and hit Illies down the seem but under threw the pass and it was tipped. Otherwise it would have been a big gain.

gumby013
08-29-2016, 03:00 PM
Has anybody seen the ratings for Saturday night's game yet? Just curious how it compares to other ESPN games we have had recently.

I assume JJ will mention it on their show?

Ratings should be out later today or maybe tomorrow.

17>1
08-29-2016, 03:20 PM

I disagree. I prefer to hear the band over any piped in music, except for the intro of course. I remember a time when the music was so loud you couldn't hardly hear the person sitting next to you. I enjoy talking football and being able to tell my dad about this player or that player, and it's hard to do it when he's hard of hearing as it is and there's loud rock music blasting us in the face. I know I've said this before, but I'm also not a fan of the dome cranking up music when the opposing team is in the huddle and/or approaching the line of scrimmage, it's an unfair disadvantage IMO. That's our time as fans to make noise and do our part.

Kermit
08-29-2016, 03:25 PM
[QUOTE=1993bison;1144695]1 reception for our tight ends and that was at the beginning of the game? If they are not gonna pass to them why not go tackle eligible and get some size in the line up? Also, one of my friends said the TE seam pass was there for the taking most of the game? Is that true? I haven't had time to rewatch it.

Easton didn't pass much to the TE's last year either. It was mentioned last year that Wentz used the middle of the field a lot more than did Stick as Coach even said Bonnet would have had a much bigger year with Wentz. Jenson struggled using the TE's in the middle of the field as well. This has to be the result of Wentz being able to read the field much better and being more aggressive. Stick did try and hit Illies down the seem but under threw the pass and it was tipped. Otherwise it would have been a big gain.

I agree. I don't think this is all on the QB or OC. It appears that Illies is the only TE right now that is much of a receiving threat. On the other hand, we did try to throw to the backs quite a bit. Morlock is particularly effective as a receiver.

ndsubison1
08-29-2016, 03:35 PM
[QUOTE=Snowgoose;1144696]

I agree. I don't think this is all on the QB or OC. It appears that Illies is the only TE right now that is much of a receiving threat. On the other hand, we did try to throw to the backs quite a bit. Morlock is particularly effective as a receiver.

What about Wentz? Hes been a threat in the past

RossUglem
08-29-2016, 03:57 PM
Film review of CSU v. NDSU (http://www.scout.com/college/north-dakota-state/story/1700560-upon-film-review-ndsu-vs-csu)

EndZoneQB
08-29-2016, 04:08 PM
So you really dont need another 2-3 hours of tailgating?:biggrin:

I would just like to be able to park and come back to the rig when the lots are set to open. That would really fix all of the issues. Late night + early morning = long day. I needed a warm up game just like the team :biggrin:

NDSUSR
08-29-2016, 04:12 PM

No doubt! But the hit Copeland took at 0.54. Damn....

17>1
08-29-2016, 04:20 PM
One of the many things I wanted to bring up after the game is a possible false start against the CSU offense that didn't get called, and went for a big run down the sideline in the first half. Go watch the coaches show video and watch the play at I think the 2:18 mark. One RB is in motion and the other RB flinches. I thought it was enough to get called when I saw it live, but nothing. And then the kid goes for about what seemed like a 50 yard run. Anyone else see that?

Alsen
08-29-2016, 04:35 PM
One of the many things I wanted to bring up after the game is a possible false start against the CSU offense that didn't get called, and went for a big run down the sideline in the first half. Go watch the coaches show video and watch the play at I think the 2:18 mark. One RB is in motion and the other RB flinches. I thought it was enough to get called when I saw it live, but nothing. And then the kid goes for about what seemed like a 50 yard run. Anyone else see that?

Yes, let's discuss what happened on that 47 yard TD run by CSU. What happened there??? How can something like that happen? Surely we must have had a defender who could have? should have? made the tackle; or at least slowed him down long enough for the cavalry to arrive. I wonder who that player was?

ndsubison1
08-29-2016, 04:45 PM
Yes, let's discuss what happened on that 47 yard TD run by CSU. What happened there??? How can something like that happen? Surely we must have had a defender who could have? should have? made the tackle; or at least slowed him down long enough for the cavalry to arrive. I wonder who that player was?

Missed assignments and bad angles.

EC8CH
08-29-2016, 04:46 PM
http://www.panoramas.com/north-dakota-state-bison-panoramic-picture-ndsu-fargodome-panorama-ndsu4.html

http://images.panoramas.com/media/catalog/product/n/d/ndsu4d.jpg

Panorama of this game is available. Pretty cool to have a 50 yardline shot of the dome with the new turf and now updated video boards.

17>1
08-29-2016, 04:47 PM
Missed assignments and bad angles.

And literally moments after Deluca went down with an injury. I know it's next man up, but there has to be a bit of an adjustment period when a new MLB comes into the game.

17>1
08-29-2016, 04:53 PM

Not the play I was referring to. Don't quote me in your post and not answer what I'm discussing.

Bison03
08-29-2016, 04:55 PM
I know we have a lot of good running backs that we want to try and get the ball to, but I think we need a better strategy then changing backs every 3rd play. When we were going all those years with2 backs going over 1,000 for the year, they would rotate possessions. I think they need to do that again, and then mix in Lance and Chase. Also with that, where was Chase all night? 1 carry and 2 catches. Need to get him more involved, he is a playmaker.

mtoutfitter
08-29-2016, 04:59 PM

Grimsley was the defender who forced the runner to cut back against the field, he was over on the sideline in pretty good shape but got pushed out of bounds by a CSU receiver at about the time of the cutback.

bisonaudit
08-29-2016, 04:59 PM
Not the play I was referring to. Don't quote me in your post and not answer what I'm discussing.

If that poster can't find a reason to slander Grimsley, he'll invent one.

ndsubison1
08-29-2016, 05:00 PM
And literally moments after Deluca went down with an injury. I know it's next man up, but there has to be a bit of an adjustment period when a new MLB comes into the game.

Nevermind. I was wrong.

17>1
08-29-2016, 05:18 PM
Nevermind. I was wrong.

I don't think you're wrong, I would agree with your assessment. That TD run was a great play on their part, but think there was some poor angles when he got near the sideline which allowed him to cut it back inside.

I'd still be curious if anyone noticed anything with the RB on the other play I mentioned before Alsen brought up this one.

Bison 4 Life
08-29-2016, 05:21 PM
Grimsley was the defender who forced the runner to cut back against the field, he was over on the sideline in pretty good shape but got pushed out of bounds by a CSU receiver at about the time of the cutback.

Grimsley clearly fucked his girlfriend or something. I've been waiting for this.

aces1180
08-29-2016, 05:22 PM
Grimsley clearly fucked his girlfriend or something. I've been waiting for this.

That or he is starting in front of his kid...

mtoutfitter
08-29-2016, 05:24 PM

Well hell, let's all take a shot at his girlfriend and then maybe he'll leave Grimsley alone and focus on us...besides there ain't much ****y out here in eastern Mt and I'll take all I can get!

MAKBison
08-29-2016, 05:30 PM

They got the shit kicked out of them....may let this get beat them twice . A lot of injuries.

EightyfourBison
08-29-2016, 05:46 PM
TIL: Alsen sits behind me in the dome. Guy behind me had the same storyline all night.:ranting:

89MTBISON
08-29-2016, 05:56 PM

Where was our D line pursuit? That was the kind of play Emanuel and Jirik come back on and really put the hurt on the RB.

Thunder_Struck
08-29-2016, 06:05 PM
I'm most concerned with our punting game. Even in warm ups he struggles to get the ball to turn over. When he does manage to get the ball to spiral there was very little spin on it. This will be magnified in an outdoor game. Hopefully, this is something he can improve on. If not the best thing to do might be to kick the low liner and let it bounce down the field without a return.

17>1
08-29-2016, 06:14 PM
I'm most concerned with our punting game. Even in warm ups he struggles to get the ball to turn over. When he does manage to get the ball to spiral there was very little spin on it. This will be magnified in an outdoor game. Hopefully, this is something he can improve on. If not the best thing to do might be to kick the low liner and let it bounce down the field without a return.

I'm equally as concerned at this point with the rest of you, however before I say much more, I'll wait and see how he looks in game 2 against another opponent in the FFD. I really want this kid to be successful and I'm sure he's going to work as hard as he can to do just that.

StL Bison Fan
08-29-2016, 07:35 PM
I mentioned the Mayor of Frisco in a tweet. His response:

In reply to 103.7
Maher Maso Maher Maso
@MaherMaso
@imaforester @MoreHits1037 @CityOfFriscoTx @kannonradio @sybil1037 close game. The Bison (that's bizon to all us Texans) worried me

bisonaudit
08-29-2016, 08:24 PM
We're wasting a lot of mental energy on the quality of the punter when maybe it would be better spent on the quality of the decision to put him on the field.

Snowgoose
08-29-2016, 09:05 PM
We're wasting a lot of mental energy on the quality of the punter when maybe it would be better spent on the quality of the decision to put him on the field.

I agree with this. Since when did getting a player that didn't appear to be able to cut it at SMU be a good thing. Shoot we have a better football program than SMU except for maybe in the 80's.

BisonAccountant44
08-29-2016, 09:06 PM
I know this and you know this, but since we're not likely to see a change in that decision making process anytime soon we can at least expect a better result when choosing to reduce our long term scoring expectations by giving the ball away.

BlueBisonRock
08-29-2016, 09:30 PM

Could it have been the CB? Or an LB? One needs to know and understand assignments in order to judge.

Christopher Moen
08-29-2016, 09:34 PM
After watching the replay when I got home yesterday, I felt much better about the future of the team. Being there live was frustrating due to the numerous self-inflicted mistakes, and that kind of took away a lot of the good things NDSU did during the game.

The first thing I want to clarify is that Charleston Southern is a top team and deserved their #6 ranking. They have a great coach and staff and they are doing a pretty good job of getting recruits that would have been going to top-notch teams that have recently left the FCS (Georgia Southern, Appalachian State and Coastal Carolina). I wish them the best for the rest of the season as long as they aren't playing the Bison. However, I'm quite concern about their health and hope their injuries are short-term and don't affect them for the rest of the season.

With that said, are the Buccaneers as good as the Bison as the score indicates? My answer is no. The reasons the score was so close and this game was an overtime victory were due to not only CSU doing a great job of defending NDSU's run game (especially in the first half), but also because of the uncharacteristic mistakes the Bison made. For the most part, the offense moved the ball well, but just about every non-scoring drive was killed by a mistake (penalties, dropped passes, fumbles, bad snap of FG, etc.). I don't know if the mistakes were because the team was playing too tight and not relaxed, but eliminate at least half of them, and this game isn't close.

Passing Game - looked way better on TV than it did from the South end zone. When watching from the end zone stands, it's really hard to appreciate how well Easton throws the ball compared to watching it on TV. My main concern though was the miscommunication on a few in or out passes where he threw the opposite way that the receiver went. Of course, one of the passes was the interception that nearly cost NDSU the victory. Fix that issue along with the dropped passes, and Easton is going to have record passing numbers by the time his career is complete.

Offensive Line - The big boys looked a bit timid during the first half, but more mature in the second half (heard they were coached up a bit during half-time). However, they didn't show the consistent nastiness that has made them the "Rams." I've said this previously, but the lineman (offense and defense) are the leaders of the team and are one of the most important factors into how successful the Bison will be. They struggled like this last year until Carson got hurt. Hopefully that nastiness gets back ASAP. I love watching these guys bully the other team into submission. To me, it's art in motion.

Running Game - Not too shabby. Overall, all four guys moved the ball well, especially when the O-Line played better in the second half. In regards to the rotation, I'm starting to like it more. I know many of us here are stuck with wanting only a two-guy rotation, but I feel those days in the past as there is too much running talent on the team. Fresh legs all game long is a good thing.

Defensive Line - Holy Shish Kabob, they attacked the QB like it was a "smear the queer" game regardless if he had the ball. Hope they treat every option team like this all year, especially UNI. O-Line, this is the type of nastiness you need to bring.

Linebackers - Glad the team is deep with talent. Plank filled in some pretty big shoes in a short time. Hope Nick is good to go in a few weeks.

Secondary - Good job of keeping the opposing team under 100 yards. Although they made some catches in crucial moments, CSU did get lucky for not getting called for offensive pass interference (i.e. Kameron Brown with a nice, slight push-off on Allison to pick up a first down on fourth and long late in the game) more often. Felt good to see the game end with an offensive pass interference. Of course, the play so blatant that when Wimbush got yanked from behind by the receiver, he ended up giving the ball a flying roundhouse kick. Also, to the guy that is constantly complaining about Grimsley, go pound sand until it turns into glass. Your presence on this board, much like your analysis of Grimsley, makes no sense.

Special Teams - Cam Pedersen is much improved. Need more work on the snap and hold. In regards to punting, it seemed liked there was a concerted effort to not over-kick the coverage due to Hammonds return ability (only ended up with one return for a negative four yards). While the average sucked, lets not forget that two of the six punts lost yardage because they hit a Bison player on the way down or during a positive bounce.

With that said, I feel pretty good about this team and I'm glad they were able to overcome the adversity they brought upon themselves to win a game against a team that will go far this season as long as they (CSU) are healthy. I have a feeling the Bison are going to give EWU a pretty bad beating in two weeks.

sbark
08-29-2016, 10:37 PM
On the Bison's passing scheme..........we saw what CSU was doing (jumping the shorter out routes hard) already last year in Frisco. The tape is out there on the Bison short, supposedly "safe" passing game. They are going to have to show so hitch and go, double moves , get the rub plays camo'd better...etc and or just more go routes. Teams IMO have decided to if they can take away 2 aspects of the Bison offense which has served them well...............power running inside the tackles, and the short usually safe WCO quick outs to Wr's....................and why not try to force the Bison into something they don't want to do---they have only done it to 5 consec. FCS championships. Sooner or later teams will adapt and react if they have the personnel. I wonder if they rather force the Bison to quick over the top socres, which like a Chip Kelly offense puts their D right back out there, and instead of wearing the other team out by the 4th........the Bison D show wear and tear or forced to rotate.

1998braves64
08-30-2016, 01:27 AM
In response to CMs post above the punting game maybe got explained a tiny bit for me on the brake down show tonight. When he and Jeff were discussing special teams, giving them accolades, they stated that they were able to keep Hammond bottled up. So it may have been a deliberate point to kick for height in the 35 yard range so that the coverage team would be able to surround him before he even had the ball. Knowing that they weren't going to ever get a 55yd on the fly punt from what's his name... It did cost them a bit on field position. That said he did not return a single punt. Hopefully the next games he will show a better average.
Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

Bison20
08-30-2016, 02:12 AM
On the Bison's passing scheme..........we saw what CSU was doing (jumping the shorter out routes hard) already last year in Frisco. The tape is out there on the Bison short, supposedly "safe" passing game. They are going to have to show so hitch and go, double moves , get the rub plays camo'd better...etc and or just more go routes. Teams IMO have decided to if they can take away 2 aspects of the Bison offense which has served them well...............power running inside the tackles, and the short usually safe WCO quick outs to Wr's....................and why not try to force the Bison into something they don't want to do---they have only done it to 5 consec. FCS championships. Sooner or later teams will adapt and react if they have the personnel. I wonder if they rather force the Bison to quick over the top socres, which like a Chip Kelly offense puts their D right back out there, and instead of wearing the other team out by the 4th........the Bison D show wear and tear or forced to rotate.

That dback on rj's touchdown seemed to think a shorter route was coming. Looked like he wasn't concerned until rj blew right by him

CAS4127
08-30-2016, 02:17 AM
That dback on rj's touchdown seemed to think a shorter route was coming. Looked like he wasn't concerned until rj blew right by him

That was a safety covering him. Corners were rolled in.

As far as the punting, what's said above is inaccurate. At least one or two were toward our own Endzone. You don't kick away from return guy in those situations.

Sent from my iPhone.

Herd
08-30-2016, 02:34 AM
Where was Purifoy on Saturday? Didn't see him in uniform.

PattyBison
08-30-2016, 02:43 AM

He was in street clothes during warm-ups.

1993bison
08-30-2016, 03:08 AM
#4 had a tough game. 1 drop and a fumble from what I remember. Hope he gets it together. The talent is there.

Mr Meaty
08-30-2016, 03:08 AM

He has a hip injury last I heard

2011BisonAlumni
08-30-2016, 03:12 AM
He has a hip injury last I heard

Fuck the last thing Timmy needs is another running back. He would rotate every running back on that team if he could.

CAS4127
08-30-2016, 03:13 AM
Fuck the last thing Timmy needs is another running back. He would rotate every running back on that team if he could.

Lmao ... So true

Sent from my iPhone.

Bison20
08-30-2016, 03:30 AM
#4 had a tough game. 1 drop and a fumble from what I remember. Hope he gets it together. The talent is there.

Did he see the field after that fumble. Seems like they were trying to get him going until he fumbled.

1993bison
08-30-2016, 03:41 AM
It seems we never try to go with the "hot hand", especially with the RBs. If a rb rips off a nice run, out they come. Doesn't make sense to me.

EC8CH
08-30-2016, 03:44 AM
Didn't we have this same RB rotation discussion last year when the Bison won their 5th consecutive National Championship?

Bison20
08-30-2016, 03:54 AM
I thought that Dunn had a good game. He looks strong and fast and can really help the offense. I still think Bruce should be the lead back

1998braves64
08-30-2016, 04:49 AM
Didn't we have this same RB rotation discussion last year when the Bison won their 5th consecutive National Championship?

It's different this year because we're going for our sixth consecutive! Everyone knows you have to devote your carries to one back when you're going for #6. Every team that has done 6peat has used this method so it is proven.

Does this need any purple?? Or I might be serious? Guess we'll find out on January 7th?

Christopher Moen
08-30-2016, 05:41 AM

Hope he gets past this. Had a similar scenario last year in Missoula when he and Carson had a bad exchange late in the game. Yes, the talent is there.

BisonAccountant44
08-30-2016, 12:48 PM
I thought that Dunn had a good game. He looks strong and fast and can really help the offense. I still think Bruce should be the lead back
12 for 50 with a long of 11. 2nd in yards and 3rd in YPC behind King and Bruce.

He didn't have a bad game at all, but my question was if he's the #3 back why is he leading the team in carries? Something we saw in the matchups?

Bruce was 11 for 79 - long of 25
Easton 11 for 45 - long of 19
Bruce 7 for 32 - long of 11

It seemed like he was out there way more than that too, I'll have to lookup total snaps each.

Mayville Bison
08-30-2016, 01:43 PM

Very easy to see from the north end zone. Not sure which official is responsible for the RB, but if it was the white hat, there was no reason he shouldn't have seen it. They can't even say he was "in motion" because the other guy was still moving and you can't have two guys in motion.

Couple opportunities missed there as Menard lit up the QB, Stumpf avoided the cutblock but lost enough balance to miss the tackle, and Wimbush should have had outside contain to force him back in but got sucked in himself.

Mayville Bison
08-30-2016, 01:48 PM
Hopefully Indy is quietly reading.....

Did the officials handle the situation correctly when CSU's kicker let a ball come in from the sideline and ran onto the field in order to get it? I don't think there should be a penalty for an accident like that (especially before the snap), but I've been curious about it.

SDbison
08-30-2016, 01:54 PM
I thought that Dunn had a good game. He looks strong and fast and can really help the offense. I still think Bruce should be the lead back Coaches need to quit the plays where Dunn tries to run up the middle. He is way too small and not quick enough to make up for his size. Get him to the outside and something good usually happens.

Bison20
08-30-2016, 03:19 PM

He didn't have a bad game at all, but my question was if he's the #3 back why is he leading the team in carries? Something we saw in the matchups?

It seemed like he was out there way more than that too, I'll have to lookup total snaps each.

Two reasons I think Dunn might have had more carries. Number one is that coach mentioned that king had tweaked his ankle early in the game. Second is running off tackle seemed to have better success than running up the middle where we seemed to struggle with them plugging it up. King is a great inside runner but Dunn has more speed to the outside. I still think Bruce should get the most touches.

Snowgoose
08-30-2016, 03:25 PM
Coaches need to quit the plays where Dunn tries to run up the middle. He is way too small and not quick enough to make up for his size. Get him to the outside and something good usually happens.

Too small. He is 5'9" 207. You know how big Emmitt Smith was 5'9" 210. A lot of great backs in the NFL have been his exact same. Now I am not saying he can't run more effectively between the tackles but it doesn't have anything to do with his size more of a vision problem which can come with more playing time.

Bison20
08-30-2016, 03:39 PM
Too small. He is 5'9" 207. You know how big Emmitt Smith was 5'9" 210. A lot of great backs in the NFL have been his exact same. Now I am not saying he can't run more effectively between the tackles but it doesn't have anything to do with his size more of a vision problem which can come with more playing time.

Didnt seem like anyone had much success inside the other night

MrSnuffleupagus
08-30-2016, 03:48 PM
Anyone else read this about the BS sideline call? Thoughts?

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4104068-rarely-enforced-sideline-interference-rule-bison-game-meant-protect-officials

tony
08-30-2016, 03:57 PM

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4104068-rarely-enforced-sideline-interference-rule-bison-game-meant-protect-officials

I thought the refs called a pretty good game... I mean, the calls they made against NDSU all seemed completely legit. They missed some huge holds but, of course, I only see those when its the other team doing it. :)

Mr Meaty
08-30-2016, 04:00 PM
I thought the refs called a pretty good game... I mean, the calls they made against NDSU all seemed completely legit. They missed some huge holds but, of course, I only see those when its the other team doing it. :)

After watching the game on DVR, I agree the refs called a good game. A couple calls I was proven wrong after I watched it. But yes the was a couple of really bad holding calls no flagged.

PattyBison
08-30-2016, 04:06 PM

The 20 minute delay to spot the ball was annoying.

17>1
08-30-2016, 04:09 PM

I'm glad someone finally mentioned this. Sometimes I shake my head at the things people say about the Bison offense. I don't proclaim to know everything about football, but something I do understand is that there are matchups and personnel that are considered for each and every game, and even down to every play. The RB by committee approach allows the coaching staff to use different players in different situations that allow them to use their specific strengths and skillsets. People crying for more carries from Chase and the kid is out there for 35 plays already. He is being used all over the place as the Swiss army knife. He's being used exactly how the staff said they would use him. I understand a rhythm, but I also understand fresh legs. Crockett was a machine two years ago, that amount of carries is rare at NDSU I think, and I support the multiple guys getting carries this season.

17>1
08-30-2016, 04:11 PM
Very easy to see from the north end zone. Not sure which official is responsible for the RB, but if it was the white hat, there was no reason he shouldn't have seen it. They can't even say he was "in motion" because the other guy was still moving and you can't have two guys in motion.

Couple opportunities missed there as Menard lit up the QB, Stumpf avoided the cutblock but lost enough balance to miss the tackle, and Wimbush should have had outside contain to force him back in but got sucked in himself.

Thanks for the reply, I was wondering if I was the only one in the north end zone that saw it. Not sure how that one got missed and it was a big play, but it is what it is at this point I guess.

Christopher Moen
08-30-2016, 04:53 PM

As fans, I think we were frustrated with NDSU penalties because a few of them, along with some other mistakes, killed a promising drive. Unfortunately, we seemed to be taking our frustration out on the officiating team (happens everywhere at every level) instead of our team. With that said, if the team cleans these mistakes up, they're going to be tough to stop.

17>1
08-30-2016, 05:05 PM
Pretty cool seeing Erin Teschuk at the game. Beautiful girl with a great smile!!

MrSnuffleupagus
08-30-2016, 05:10 PM
I think a majority of the calls were good...but the whole point of that link/article was the sideline call.

Which I thought was BS and not needed. For 'brushing' against an official, 99% of FCS games played should be having this first offense-15 yard penalty called then.

MNLonghorn10
08-30-2016, 05:26 PM
They need to slow down on the Carson Wentz dicksucking. Wow.

bisonaudit
08-30-2016, 05:33 PM
Pretty cool seeing Erin Teschuk at the game. Beautiful girl with a great smile!!

She can run a little bit too.

MrSnuffleupagus
08-30-2016, 05:35 PM
They need to slow down on the Carson Wentz dicksucking. Wow.

https://m.popkey.co/061501/0JxME.gif

17>1
08-30-2016, 06:16 PM
She can run a little bit too.

Yep, I'm sure she can. Didn't see her running on Saturday though, just saw a close up of her face during a time out.

bloodmakesthegrassgrow
08-30-2016, 06:21 PM

YES, it was a BS call. Maybe worthy of a 5 yard penalty or a warning.

Twincitybizon
08-30-2016, 06:22 PM
The time it took for the refs to spot the ball, make calls, and generally get the friggin game going was unacceptable. I have no idea how anyone could argue otherwise.