PDA

View Full Version : Shamen Washington to receiver

kchats
03-26-2006, 01:09 AM
I saw the article where the Bison are playing around with moving Shamen to receiver. If they can coach him up and get him comfortable he could become a dangerous third receiver like Dante Hall. I think it is a great idea to get him out in space where he can go the distance with any catch. I hope he works on his hands and is able to make the transition. It will get him on the field more often and provide a great home run threat.

http://www.bisonzone.com/index.cfm?page=article_full&id=121555

sambini
03-26-2006, 05:05 AM
I think it is a good move. Give him some touches ...

SUCB#27
03-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Even if we just throw his way 2-3 times a game, teams will have to scheme those plays all week long. He is the type of player that can strike fear into defensive coordinators and players hearts, ask Northwestern State's punt coverage team. this is a great idea.

kchats
03-26-2006, 08:11 PM
Plus he is out away from the big boys in the open where he makes a guy or two miss and he is in for a TD. Chiefs did this with Dante Hall when they realized he was talented enough to play in the NFL but too small to play running back. It would be great if this also helped Shamen have a shot at the NFL as a return guy and third wide receiver.

SUILB#28
03-26-2006, 10:50 PM
This is absolutely a great idea. He is the most dangerous player in space for the bison or any other team I have seen in a long time. With the talent he has, 8-10 touches a game away from the return game could mean 2-3 TDs. He is a hard nosed kid, which could lead to him taking some shots going over the middle, but he is definitely a big play guy who needs to be on the field as much as possible.

Gully
03-27-2006, 02:24 AM
I think this is a great idea as well, I'm just surprised it has taken so long. I think I read somewhere that he doesn't have the greatest hands for receiving, maybe that's why they didn't throw to him more last year.

Should be fun to see him in the open.

Scooter
03-30-2006, 05:45 PM
I'd like to see Shamen work out for the Bison as a WR. If he can improve his skills as a reciever, having White, Heckendorf, and Shamen on the field at the same time may give defensive coordinators fits. Now, teams won't be able to stack the line of scrimmage against the run. It's what Killed us against Cal Davis, and Cal Poly. Steffes and Chapman will benefit from this change, just wait and see.

Gamehunter
03-30-2006, 07:19 PM
We have Williams too, that is if Bohl sees the need to pull his redshirt. Williams will be a burner. If Shamen can hold onto the ball there might not be a need though.

sambini
03-30-2006, 09:04 PM
Our wideouts will be better this next fall. Which in turn will help the running game.++++++++++++++++

BisonBacker
03-30-2006, 10:53 PM
How good are Shamen's hands? I think it will be great to see him as a deep threat. Teams will have to defense the Bison differently with him at wideout. Should be fun to watch.

BisonCountry
03-30-2006, 11:38 PM
How good are Shamen's hands? I think it will be great to see him as a deep threat. Teams will have to defense the Bison differently with him at wideout. Should be fun to watch.

I'm not sure if he will be your prototypical "deep threat" but maybe the short catch make a few people miss and take it "deep threat".

Bisonguy
03-30-2006, 11:42 PM
I'm not sure if he will be your prototypical "deep threat" but maybe the short catch make a few people miss and take it "deep threat".

Speed kills and will stretch the defense vertically. The opposing defense has to respect a burner. It's amazing what a vertical route with the WR five yards past the closest defender will do to open up the running game. Memories of Allen Burrell, Marques Johnson, and Richard Lewis come to mind.

sambini
03-31-2006, 05:00 AM
Also speed kills and STACY ROBINSON COMES TO MIND.

Scooter
03-31-2006, 05:40 AM
Best Bison Reciever EVER, no question. *:)

Bisonguy
03-31-2006, 05:42 AM

Classic example of what a WR with speed can do.

BisonMav
03-31-2006, 01:33 PM
Didn't Stacy switch from a QB to WR?

sambini
03-31-2006, 01:44 PM
Yes he did.

tcbison
03-31-2006, 03:56 PM
In those days we were loaded at QB. Good athletes can make the switch. Stacy was a great athlete and the best WR NDSU ever had. Honorable mention has to go to T.R. McDonald. He had great hands.

SUCB#27
03-31-2006, 04:20 PM
I have to admit I do not have a lot of knowledge of players from Bison history, so excuse me if I'm way out of line here. Is Travis White someone who will be able to be mentioned in this conversation when his career is over? I played against him every day in practice for four years(actually 3 I guess with his injury) and I can honestly say I have never been matched up with someone quite like him. He made me look very very stupid on many occasions and is very fun to watch (not so much to play against).

Let me know what you guys think.

Go Bison

mikelsch
03-31-2006, 04:46 PM
If Travis White returns to form this season, he will be mentioned in the same class as Robinson and McDonald.

BisonMav
03-31-2006, 04:53 PM
If Travis White returns to form this season, he will be mentioned in the same class as Robinson and McDonald.

Travis is a great reciever, and I agree.

Just to add, Stacy's went on to win 2 Super Bowl Rings with the Giants.

Jeffdaryl3rd
03-31-2006, 11:32 PM
I like the move of Shamen to WR. Since he has some experience at RB as well, it is possible he could line up there on passing downs as well. With the possibility that there may be some 2 FB sets and Shamen in the backfield on passing downs, that is quite a bit of backfield versatility.

Mr._Bill
04-01-2006, 12:28 AM
I have to admit I do not have a lot of knowledge of players from Bison history, so excuse me if I'm way out of line here. *Is Travis White someone who will be able to be mentioned in this conversation when his career is over? *I played against him every day in practice for four years(actually 3 I guess with his injury) and I can honestly say I have never been matched up with someone quite like him. *He made me look very very stupid on many occasions and is very fun to watch (not so much to play against).

Let me know what you guys think.

Go Bison

It is really hard to compare guys like Robinson, McDonald, Kretchman, etc . . . from the 80's, with the guys in the Pro-style offense today. You will see a lot better stats today, but that is not necessarily a reflection on ability. Len Kretchman used to score every time he touched the ball, but passes were rare back then. The main job of the WR's back then was to give Stark, Lloyd, Betrim, Satter and crew an extra 10-15 yards when they hit the secondary. While today's offense is very entertaining too, there was something about the bison vere in the 80's that was just as entertaining. Probably the "we will destroy you" mentality.

I do agree with you however, Travis White is one of the best ever, and if he can put together a good season this year, his stats will prove this out. He is a go to, big play guy that we really missed last season.

MB Out

kchats
04-01-2006, 03:49 AM
The thing I remember most about the Bison teams of the 80's was if they would happen to lose a game to a team in conference for whatever reason (QB injury mainly) they completely annihilated them the following season. It just seemed to be a given if they lost to a team before the game would be over by the end of the first quarter. Of course in the 5 football seasons I was at NDSU for they finished undefeated and won the National Championship 3 times. The 1986 team really pounded the opposition as did the 1990 team.

Mr._Bill
04-01-2006, 04:26 AM
I don't remember many losses in my years 86-90. While the Bison teams today are as strong as ever, it's very tough to beat the 86 secondary of Debates, Braxton, Bradley and Servais. They may not have been the most athletic group, but you talk about savy and confident . . . they had the corner on it.

While I love to talk about the 80's teams, I think the best years are ahead of the Bison. Today's schedule and competition are stronger than they have ever been. These are exciting times.

BISON_IN_MN
04-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Another advantage of having Washington at the reciever position is the possibility of reverse / fake reverses. It will help to keep the defense honest (or even cheat toward the motion side) when Washington goes in motion, thus opening up the run even further...

sambini
04-03-2006, 09:10 PM
I don't remember many losses in my years 86-90. *While the Bison teams today are as strong as ever, it's very tough to beat the 86 secondary of Debates, Braxton, Bradley and Servais. *They may not have been the most athletic group, but you talk about savy and confident . . . they had the corner on it. *

While I love to talk about the 80's teams, I think the best years are ahead of the Bison. * Today's schedule and competition are stronger than they have ever been. *These are exciting times. The starter in that group was KEN KUBISZ .