PDA

View Full Version : Bloomberg: This College Football Team Doesn’t Want to Join the Big Leagues

Jay
08-24-2016, 03:05 PM
North Dakota State University is the best team in the second-best division in college football. Why mess with a good thing?
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-24/this-college-football-team-doesn-t-want-to-join-the-big-leagues

tjbison
08-24-2016, 03:22 PM
One thing Fargo’s residents don’t have to get defensive about? Their football team, the North Dakota State University Bison. Riding a deep tradition, smart local recruiting, and oil money from the western part of the state, the Bison have won five straight national titles—and they’re a preseason favorite to win a sixth.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

THEsocalledfan
08-24-2016, 03:39 PM
I enjoyed it; you have to consider the audience is not us. Really should have spent a little more time on the problem of conference alignment than it did, but was impressed they talked about the stadium problem. First time I've heard an NDSU official actually quoted saying the FFD would not work for FBS even though obvious.

I've said many times, I just don't see the logic unless Mountain West came calling, and even then there are numerous hurdles like the stadium. I just don't see it happening.

BisonAccountant44
08-24-2016, 04:04 PM
I enjoyed it; you have to consider the audience is not us. Really should have spent a little more time on the problem of conference alignment than it did, but was impressed they talked about the stadium problem. First time I've heard an NDSU official actually quoted saying the FFD would not work for FBS even though obvious.

I've said many times, I just don't see the logic unless Mountain West came calling, and even then there are numerous hurdles like the stadium. I just don't see it happening.

It's the first time I've seen an NDSU official acknowledge that conversations with conference commissioners have happened as well.

El_Chapo
08-24-2016, 04:26 PM
Dumb Article. Conversations with Conferences commissioners is Matt at the Convention running into Mountain West Commish Craig Thompson at the carrot & celery plate and saying "hi Im with Ndsu, how are you, can you pass me the dill dip?"

NDSU and MATT need to be SUBMITTING A FORMAL PLAN and ATTACK and SOLICIT these commissioners... this is fargo small town dumb at its finest.

plus.

What the hell do you think a SENIOR player is gonna say, he's already here, of course he isn't gonna advocate FBS

Also, Why the "scare tactic" of interrupting the Fargo traditions and what ndsu has built. moving up will MAKE THAT STUFF EVEN BIGGER!!

just embarassing.... If you're a SEC, Big 12, Big 10 fan, dont you just laugh at that article?

bruinbison
08-24-2016, 04:26 PM
North Dakota State University is the best team in the second-best division in college football. Why mess with a good thing?
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-24/this-college-football-team-doesn-t-want-to-join-the-big-leagues

How factual is this quote??? Is it an urban legend, like the oil money quote?

The executive director of the booster program, Pat Simmers, continues to receive $250,000 donations from fans who don’t want to wait for season tickets.

tjbison
08-24-2016, 04:52 PM

Well if they are coming in that fast we should see a huge increase in the amout this year wouldnt you think?? me thinks its a typo..

bisonaudit
08-24-2016, 05:00 PM

It's Bloomberg. The one thing they know for sure about North Dakota is the oil story. It's easy to see the reporter asking something like "What about the oil boom? Has that helped fundraising?" And the answer coming back along the lines of "It certainly hasn't hurt." And that's all they'd need to confirm the assumption.

I'm not sure where a national writer would have gotten on the scent of the donor/season-ticket thing.

roadwarrior
08-24-2016, 05:47 PM
The $250,000 donation to get season tickets is true. I don't know how long of a list that was though. I also heard all of those people are now season ticket holders.

56BISON73
08-24-2016, 05:51 PM

Damn good article.

tony
08-24-2016, 05:52 PM
The $250,000 donation to get season tickets is true. I don't know how long of a list that was though. I also heard all of those people are now season ticket holders.

That's more of a one-time donation to get their priority points up, right?

roadwarrior
08-24-2016, 05:54 PM
That's more of a one-time donation to get their priority points up, right?

Yes. Depending on where that $250,000 was directed, you could get up to 5,000 priority points. If is was towards the SHAC, it would be worth 2,500 points.

56BISON73
It's the first time I've seen an NDSU official acknowledge that conversations with conference commissioners have happened as well.

Gene Taylor was quoted numerous times that he had talked to the MWC and if they were going to expand he wanted NDSU in that conversation.

ndsubison1
Of course they put the guy saying we would beat Michigan in there. haha. Maybe two years ago.

BisonAccountant44
08-24-2016, 06:11 PM
Gene Taylor was quoted numerous times that he had talked to the MWC and if they were going to expand he wanted NDSU in that conversation.

Interesting. I don't remember seeing those quotes before, only speculation from fans.

El_Chapo
08-24-2016, 06:20 PM
interesting. I don't remember seeing those quotes before, only speculation from fans.

he is sooooooooooooooooooo full of bullcrap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IBleedYellow
08-24-2016, 08:18 PM
Pat Simmers told me directly: If you want season tickets for football today, cut me a check for $250,000 and we'll get you in the Dome.

Grizzled
08-25-2016, 03:05 AM
I heard of one guy that said he would have given up to $250000 to get prime season tickets but didn't have to. I can also state my neighbors company got 6 season tickets this year and they didn't even give a fraction of that or are NDSU grads. They joined the lowest level of Teammakers and knew the right person to make contact with Pat. From my understanding this isn't a first time occurance either which is unfortunate.

Christopher Moen
08-25-2016, 03:28 AM

This can't be sitting well for the anti-Bresciani group. Should we be expecting a spin on this soon from the Dilly Bar-loving fella?

“They’re very good stewards of their money,” Mayor Tim Mahoney says.

StL Bison Fan
08-25-2016, 03:35 AM
This can't be sitting well for the anti-Bresciani group. Should we be expecting a spin on this soon from the Dilly Bar-loving fella?

the mayor knew exactly what he was saying and to whom...

MNLonghorn10
08-25-2016, 03:41 AM
I'll happily sell my tickets for 50k. Even bring u to and from the dome.

56BISON73
08-25-2016, 04:00 AM
Interesting. I don't remember seeing those quotes before, only speculation from fans.

It was quoted in the Foolum and on radio. Both were posted on BV.

1998braves64
08-25-2016, 11:20 AM
It was quoted in the Foolum and on radio. Both were posted on BV.

Probably got pushed down by the FBS now folks before he could tread them.

BisonAccountant44
08-25-2016, 12:24 PM
Probably got pushed down by the FBS now folks before he could tread them.
More likely I stopped paying attention once the deja vu (not that deja vu Izzy) set in and missed it. I'm not one of the guys who is dead set on one side of it either, I just can't read the same thread over and over and over.

Mr Meaty
08-25-2016, 12:44 PM
Nothing to see here people, please just move along.

bisonaudit
08-25-2016, 12:55 PM
I heard of one guy that said he would have given up to $250000 to get prime season tickets but didn't have to. I can also state my neighbors company got 6 season tickets this year and they didn't even give a fraction of that or are NDSU grads. They joined the lowest level of Teammakers and knew the right person to make contact with Pat. From my understanding this isn't a first time occurance either which is unfortunate.

If that is really happening the way you described. That's not good at all.

EndZoneQB
08-25-2016, 02:08 PM
If that is really happening the way you described. That's not good at all.

Totally agreed. Gives me a bad taste in my mouth...

tjbison
08-25-2016, 02:20 PM

If this is true it needs to be brought up, pure bullshit

roadwarrior
08-25-2016, 02:22 PM
I heard from a guy that heard from his neighbor's cousin.....

bisonaudit
08-25-2016, 02:33 PM
I heard from a guy that heard from his neighbor's cousin.....

I think that all of the comments have been appropriately qualified.

imabison
08-25-2016, 04:09 PM
Pat Simmers told me directly: If you want season tickets for football today, cut me a check for $250,000 and we'll get you in the Dome.

Guaranteed SRO tickets :) :)

HerdBot
08-25-2016, 04:24 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oil money... yeah Dean Bresciani can't even buy double ply toilet paper without triggering an audit

56BISON73
08-25-2016, 10:55 PM
Totally agreed. Gives me a bad taste in my mouth...

I hear these same stories every year.

Trumpster
08-26-2016, 03:48 AM
I hear these same stories every year.

Is it because you call?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

56BISON73
08-30-2016, 11:42 PM
Is it because you call?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just pay attention to whats posted here. Ive also heard crazy stories like this at some tailgate areas. Its always I heard from a friend who knows somebody at xxxx who knows the guy etc etc etc.

tony
08-30-2016, 11:52 PM
Oil money... yeah Dean Bresciani can't even buy double ply toilet paper without triggering an audit

I'm pretty sure that if UND got caught using hundred dollar bills as toilet paper, it would trigger an audit of NDSU.