PDA

View Full Version : Linebacker Depth...

NDSU German from Russia
08-24-2016, 02:33 PM
We are very fortunate to have three seniors starting at LB'er.

Just curious about how the other, developing LBer's are looking?

I feel like you really don't hear much about Plank, Marlette, Jordheim, Board, Mattox, etc.

What does the depth chart look like?

Middle; Deluca, Plank
Outside; Stumpf, Board
Outside; PGT, Marlette?

It seems like 2-3 years ago, I remember DeLuca and MJ making hits and plenty of tackles on kick-off and special teams. I just don't recall how the younger group of guys are doing...

How do they compare in terms of speed, tackling ability, coverage, etc. Did they get much game time last year?

How is Jordheim's knee? He got hurt late in the season last year, right?

BTW; I can't say enough about DeLuca. He is relentless. Can run the field with the best of them and his tackling and hands are second to none. Very fun to watch his intensity (like #52). So humble & gracious in interviews; gives all credit to coaches and team mates. true BISON.

sorry if this is covered in another post.

mtoutfitter
08-24-2016, 02:44 PM
Seems to me that Plank was in on a lot of special teams tackles last year.....as well as Marlette.

DORMIE
08-24-2016, 02:47 PM
There is a true freshman that the players are impressed with. Jabril Cox. 6'3" 220 from Raytown, MO.

tjbison
08-24-2016, 02:48 PM
There is a true freshman that the players are impressed with. Jabril Cox. 6'3" 220 from Raytown, MO.

heard if he redshirts and Kramer does his magic this kid will be a super stud....

BisonNation11
08-24-2016, 03:02 PM
Seems to me that Plank was in on a lot of special teams tackles last year.....as well as Marlette.

I've heard a lot of good things about Plank and I can't remember exactly but I thought he had a great spring game.

heard if he redshirts and Kramer does his magic this kid will be a super stud....

This kid was a beast coming in. Is he slotted at MLB? Should have the frame to put on the weight. Can't see a reason to pull his shirt.

Mercadel had a great spring game. Seems a little skinny still but he has a nose for the ball. Board is a special teams machine as well.

DM05
08-24-2016, 03:07 PM
Jordheim was getting some time last year until his injury. Good things have been said about Brinkman, Mercadel, Marlette in the past. Board was getting some praise this fall, and him and Plank have been special team studs so far. All these guys will get a ton of time on special teams and hopefully in mop-up duty.

I really hope they don't pull Cox's redshirt just to use him on special teams like they did with DeLuca. That kid has a chance to be a four year starting MLB; just imagine him after a year with Kramer.

Should be all kinds of competition in spring and fall next year with all three starting spots opening up.

17>1
08-24-2016, 03:12 PM
It wasn't long ago that LB depth was a big concern for the Bison. This is the first year in a while that I can remember that our solid depth at this position has been talked about so much. Even going into last season where you had 2 brand new starters in Stumpf and PGT, we didn't know how that core was going to perform. The amount of depth overall in the front 7 is just silly, and not even fair to the rest of the competition. Should be able to roll fresh bodies in and out all day long.

HoopsBison
08-24-2016, 05:23 PM
Plank is a very talented player. He would start on pretty much every other program in the MVFC. He just happens to be behind one of the all time greats.

Mr Meaty
08-24-2016, 06:05 PM

Plank is generally the first one down the field and if he misses the tackle the rest are right behind him.

Twincitybizon
08-24-2016, 08:46 PM
Slight overstatement, doing he starts at uni for example. Vet good linebacker corps

natstar1
08-24-2016, 09:26 PM
why can't he be a super stud if he doesn't redshirt?

BisonNation11
08-24-2016, 09:54 PM

Could you imagine a player like CLJ in a taller Joe Mays frame and keeping the speed/athleticism? Even the coaches are raving about how much BA has changed after a winter/spring/summer with Kramer. If he doesn't play, that means he's lifting 5 days a week instead of 2-3 days of maintenance lifting.

17>1
08-24-2016, 10:03 PM
Could you imagine a player like CLJ in a taller Joe Mays frame and keeping the speed/athleticism? Even the coaches are raving about how much BA has changed after a winter/spring/summer with Kramer. If he doesn't play, that means he's lifting 5 days a week instead of 2-3 days of maintenance lifting.

It comes down to the age old argument of redshirting now for a bigger/faster/stronger 5th year senior...or pulling the shirt because a kid can help the team win now. I'm all about the here and now if a kid is the best option for a spot, regardless of his age. Do you shirt Grimsley last year and play Bachmeier? Sounds like Eric wasn't as ready as he is this year and he made the two deep now, behind Robbie. Deluca didn't redshirt either, I think he turned out ok. Would having Nick come back again next year be awesome? You bet. But guess what, another kid is right behind chomping at the bit to play, and he's going to be an adequate replacement. The staff knows what they're doing, at least that's where I place my trust and support.

thebootfitter
08-24-2016, 10:04 PM
He can only be a stud. Not a super stud.

The extra year of development and experience can go a long way in contributing to the "super" part.

BisonNation11
08-24-2016, 10:23 PM
It comes down to the age old argument of redshirting now for a bigger/faster/stronger 5th year senior...or pulling the shirt because a kid can help the team win now. I'm all about the here and now if a kid is the best option for a spot, regardless of his age. Do you shirt Grimsley last year and play Bachmeier? Sounds like Eric wasn't as ready as he is this year and he made the two deep now, behind Robbie. Deluca didn't redshirt either, I think he turned out ok. Would having Nick come back again next year be awesome? You bet. But guess what, another kid is right behind chomping at the bit to play, and he's going to be an adequate replacement. The staff knows what they're doing, at least that's where I place my trust and support.

I was answering considering the depth we currently have at the position. Plus, MLB in this defense isn't the easiest thing to pick up on. QB of the defense really. And we didn't really lose anyone that was a standout from special teams. I completely trust the staff as they've proven themselves very well. I just think Jabril has the potential to become one of the really special ones to come through NDSU and I'd hate to see a year wasted on special teams. If they redshirt him, he'll pretty much have two years to learn the position as I see Plank taking over there next year. I'd rather have 3 years of huge potential than two. And no, I can't wrap my head around having Nick for another year. Absolutely special player. :nod:

Bison20
08-24-2016, 11:11 PM
I was answering considering the depth we currently have at the position. Plus, MLB in this defense isn't the easiest thing to pick up on. QB of the defense really. And we didn't really lose anyone that was a standout from special teams. I completely trust the staff as they've proven themselves very well. I just think Jabril has the potential to become one of the really special ones to come through NDSU and I'd hate to see a year wasted on special teams. If they redshirt him, he'll pretty much have two years to learn the position as I see Plank taking over there next year. I'd rather have 3 years of huge potential than two. And no, I can't wrap my head around having Nick for another year. Absolutely special player. :nod:

I agree, I think it would be a mistake to pull cox shirt just to play him on special teams. We are loaded at lb and special teams. He could get a full year in the weight room and to learn the defense. DeLuca was really good on special teams but just imagine if they didn't pull his redshirt. Board is also a stud on special teams and I hope he can be a regular in the rotation and use his ridiculous athleticism. Mercadell also looked really good fitting the spring game

17>1
08-25-2016, 03:10 AM

I agree, I think it would be a mistake to pull cox shirt just to play him on special teams. We are loaded at lb and special teams. He could get a full year in the weight room and to learn the defense. DeLuca was really good on special teams but just imagine if they didn't pull his redshirt. Board is also a stud on special teams and I hope he can be a regular in the rotation and use his ridiculous athleticism. Mercadell also looked really good fitting the spring game

The thing is, I continue to see this comment "Why pull his red shirt just to have it wasted by playing special teams for a year", and I don't understand it. How is that being a waste? Is he not contributing to the overall success of the team? Why is the kid who had his shirt pulled playing on special teams ahead of some other player who maybe already red shirted? There's a reason for that and the coaches know more than any of us on this message board why that is. My point is, if a kid comes in and is physically and mentally able to contribute to the team right now, and he's option A in front of options B & C, then by all means play him. Believe me, I fully understand what you guys are saying about where a kid is at as a 5th year senior. But this isn't 5 years down the line, it's 2016, and we have games and a conference championship to win this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uizPvx_Gny4

And then Chase goes on to say how important the red shirt year is for development. I can't argue that at all as I agree with it.

As a side note, Moses sat in the row in front of us at the spring game. What a sharp kid, and did quite a bit of speaking for the group of recruits that were there. Seems like a leader already.

NDSU German from Russia
08-26-2016, 04:21 AM
I didn't realize DeLuca played as true freshman. For some reason, I thought he was in his 5th year.

I read a little more about Jabril Cox. High School QB; likely great at seeing field. Evidently he had several P5 looks prior to knee injury his Junior year. Sounds like his rehab went really well as he had outstanding senior season.

bison_by_blood
08-26-2016, 02:19 PM

One thing to consider, it's only a matter of time until we have a player leave early for the NFL draft. If DeLuca was a junior, we'd be talking about whether he would even come back for his senior year.

Bison20
08-26-2016, 02:33 PM
One thing to consider, it's only a matter of time until we have a player leave early for the NFL draft. If DeLuca was a junior, we'd be talking about whether he would even come back for his senior year.

Not sure we will have to worry about to many kids leaving early. Even as big a stud as DeLuca is it would be tough to leave early

17>1
08-26-2016, 02:39 PM

As out there as that might sound, I am in the group of Bison fans that believe anything is possible with this program. It just continues to amaze me the new heights we see reached on a yearly basis.

bison_by_blood
08-26-2016, 03:27 PM
UNI just had a guy leave early this year. EWU has had a couple. It's not exactly unprecedented. More a reality of how high level college football is these days.

Twincitybizon
08-26-2016, 03:31 PM
UNI just had a guy leave early this year. EWU has had a couple. It's not exactly unprecedented. More a reality of how high level college football is these days.

Uni kid didn't leave because he had a for sure shot, rumor on ags was other reasons.

Bison20
08-26-2016, 03:31 PM

Did he end up making a team. I know he went undrafted, just wondering if he will make it.

17>1
08-29-2016, 04:25 PM
A lot of discussion going on with our LB depth. Curious what some peoples thoughts are in regards to where things might shake up with Deluca out and now Plank maybe not 100%. Mercadel, Brinkman, Cox, Mattox, Jordheim, Marlette. Do we see a shirt get pulled now? Who steps up and where?

ndsubison1
08-29-2016, 04:47 PM
Board at OLB move Stumpf to MLB if Plank were to somehow get injured?

NDSU German from Russia
08-29-2016, 09:05 PM
8:15-8:42 Coach K gives a few ideas of depth @ MLB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX7TzoOo9yg

bruinbison
08-30-2016, 02:33 AM
8:15-8:42 Coach K gives a few ideas of depth @ MLB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX7TzoOo9yg

Move some guys around - Dan Marlette mentioned first, MJ Stumpf second, PGT third (MLB). Will give one or two of them some looks there.

Right after that mentions Chase was in for 35 snaps, including time at FB.

HerdBoy
08-30-2016, 02:58 AM
Did he end up making a team. I know he went undrafted, just wondering if he will make it.

I think he was with the Falcons but don't see his name on the roster anymore.

Bison20
08-30-2016, 03:22 AM
Move some guys around - Dan Marlette mentioned first, MJ Stumpf second, PGT third (MLB). Will give one or two of them some looks there.

Right after that mentions Chase was in for 35 snaps, including time at FB.

Did mercadel play MLB this spring. I thought he had a great spring game and remember him stuffing a few runs up the middle. Hopefully we can get a lead in some of these games so the younger lbs can get some game experience.

IzzyFlexion
08-30-2016, 12:35 PM
Did mercadel play MLB this spring. I thought he had a great spring game and remember him stuffing a few runs up the middle. Hopefully we can get a lead in some of these games so the younger lbs can get some game experience.

Yes.
Mercadel graded out highly in the spring game.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-31-2016, 03:13 AM
A lot of discussion going on with our LB depth. Curious what some peoples thoughts are in regards to where things might shake up with Deluca out and now Plank maybe not 100%. Mercadel, Brinkman, Cox, Mattox, Jordheim, Marlette. Do we see a shirt get pulled now? Who steps up and where?

What happened to Plank?

17>1
08-31-2016, 03:21 AM
What happened to Plank?

Early mention of a hand injury. He appears to be okay from what I've most recently heard. Just a premature post on my part a bit prior to the Klieman presser yesterday.

Bison20
08-31-2016, 03:21 AM
What happened to Plank?

Plank hurt his arm at the end but x-rays were negative. Might be in the nickel most the game against EWU which would only have 2 linebackers PGT and Stumpf on the field if DeLuca can't go. Hopefully our dbacks are up for the challenge, especially with kupp

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-31-2016, 03:30 AM
Early mention of a hand injury. He appears to be okay from what I've most recently heard. Just a premature post on my part a bit prior to the Klieman presser yesterday.

That's good news. I thought Plank did a tremendous job of filling in for ND. To be honest, I didn't see any drop off at all.

Alsen
08-31-2016, 04:03 AM
The replay of the second half is up on youtube if you didn't record the game. Watch the 47 yard TD run again a few times. It will make you sick, but you can clearly see that Plank was fooled on the play and then after being late to diagnose the play, took a horrible angle to the ball carrier.

I'm not trying to put down Plank, he had just recently entered the game, but you can clearly see that if DeLuca was in the game......instead of a TD it would probably have been a 1 yd loss.

Actually, there were several WTH's on that play. I'm sure our guys have watched the film on that play a 100 times. If just one of our guys out of about 5 had made a better effort to slow the guy down we would have had him.

I like Wimbush but I have no idea what he was thinking when he abandoned his pursuit early and did a curl to try and cut him off later, I guess??
If he stays in the area and forces the RB to just a slight more lateral movement, then Ambrosious gets him.

Grimsley just ran out of bounds. Granted, it was his job on that play to take away the sideline, but just a little bit better of an effort and the late arriving Menard nails him.

It was a perfect storm against us.

56BISON73
08-31-2016, 04:36 AM
The replay of the second half is up on youtube if you didn't record the game. Watch the 47 yard TD run again a few times. It will make you sick, but you can clearly see that Plank was fooled on the play and then after being late to diagnose the play, took a horrible angle to the ball carrier.

I'm not trying to put down Plank, he had just recently entered the game, but you can clearly see that if DeLuca was in the game......instead of a TD it would probably have been a 1 yd loss.

Actually, there were several WTH's on that play. I'm sure our guys have watched the film on that play a 100 times. If just one of our guys out of about 5 had made a better effort to slow the guy down we would have had him.

I like Wimbush but I have no idea what he was thinking when he abandoned his pursuit early and did a curl to try and cut him off later, I guess??
If he stays in the area and forces the RB to just a slight more lateral movement, then Ambrosious gets him.

Grimsley just ran out of bounds. Granted, it was his job on that play to take away the sideline, but just a little bit better of an effort and the late arriving Menard nails him.

Effort wasnt the issue. It was poor pursuit angles and a couple of missed coverage assignments.

MAKBison
08-31-2016, 05:38 AM
That's good news. I thought Plank did a tremendous job of filling in for ND. To be honest, I didn't see any drop off at all.

Well their last td he overplayed the pitch and left the dive open.....ND makes that play imo

yopaulie
08-31-2016, 12:36 PM
Well their last td he overplayed the pitch and left the dive open.....ND makes that play imo

Yes, I saw the same thing. Plank played pretty well, but there was a definite drop off. Not a criticism of Plank...Deluca is Nfl bound.

Winning is Gr8
08-31-2016, 12:38 PM

I agree he did have a chance on both TD's and ND would have prevented both (that is what makes him so special)- I watched the 2nd half for a 3rd time and he played well besides these 2 plays (the 1st i will say maybe was 1st game jitters and just getting into the game- he seemed to settle down after that and did ok) That being said i sure hope ND is back soon and at his old self.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-31-2016, 12:41 PM

Still though, a pretty solid performance from a backup in a critical position.

Mr Meaty
08-31-2016, 12:56 PM
Still though, a pretty solid performance from a backup in a critical position.

Exactly, if he has what it takes, he will steadily improve.

Bison20
08-31-2016, 01:35 PM
Plank had a very solid game other than that long to run. It was right when he entered the game and he took a bad angle but he wasn't the only one that messed up on that play. To think he is going to be as good as DeLuca isn't possible. DeLuca is one of the best LB's we have had

SafeTeeJ
08-31-2016, 02:00 PM
Their QB didn't hurt us with the option. That said we didn't slow play his option enough. We just took him out. While that is fine if you are trying to hit him hard rough him up and take him out of the game, but that didn't happen and with his play we really didn't need to. If you slow play the QB and make him hold onto the ball just a step more it gives the backside pursuit time to get there, let the play develop and get better angles. the way we played it sometimes made their option a glorified jet sweep, with their QB taking out one (sometimes 2) of our inside/out alley players.

I also noticed that our perimeter players were getting cut creating piles and obstacles for downline pursuit . They need to work on that in the off week.

CAS4127
08-31-2016, 02:07 PM
Their QB didn't hurt us with the option. That said we didn't slow play his option enough. We just took him out. While that is fine if you are trying to hit him hard rough him up and take him out of the game, but that didn't happen and with his play we really didn't need to. If you slow play the QB and make him hold onto the ball just a step more it gives the backside pursuit time to get there, let the play develop and get better angles. the way we played it sometimes made there option a glorified jet sweep with their QB taking out one of our inside/out alley players.

I also noticed that our perimeter players were getting cut creating piles and obstacles for downline pursuit . They need to work on that in the off week.

This!! Exactly. Our defensive scheme was not a textbook example of defending the option. Your description pretty much is. If we play them again, hopefully it changes a bit.

Sent from my iPhone.

17>1
08-31-2016, 02:20 PM
This!! Exactly. Our defensive scheme was not a textbook example of defending the option. Your description pretty much is. If we play them again, hopefully it changes a bit.

Sent from my iPhone.

I'd be curious to see how we played it differently if there was another matchup. Being as we played them once, have our film against them, we could see exactly how our personnel would attack it. I know with Deluca going out that it didn't help this, but did anyone else feel like CSU made some better adjustments at halftime? Just seemed like they were much more successful overall in the 2nd half than they were in the first.

SafeTeeJ
08-31-2016, 02:40 PM
There were missed assignments. On one of their 20 yard option runs to start the second half, our safety (in the alley) went straight to the QB. The safety should have the pitch man! Menard got off his block and had the QB. Nick got caught up in scraping overtop and couldn't get down line on the LOS. He took a bad angle too, btw. Our corner got stalk blocked....and off to the races they were.

Herd
09-03-2016, 03:15 PM
Rank Em: (my order)
1) Mays, Maresh, Humber
2) Olson, Littlejohn, Beck
3) Deluca, Stumpf, Tucker

Vs the Run: Group 1)
Vs the pass: Group 2)

Best all around: Humber, LJ, Deluca
Best vs run: Deluca, Mays, Humber, Olson
Best vs Pass: Beck, LJ, Humber
Best In space: Humber, Beck
Best Rushing QB: Deluca, Beck, LJ

yopaulie
09-03-2016, 03:48 PM
Rank Em: (my order)
1) Mays, Maresh, Humber
2) Olson, Littlejohn, Beck
3) Deluca, Stumpf, Tucker

Vs the Run: Group 1)
Vs the pass: Group 2)

Best all around: Humber, LJ, Deluca
Best vs run: Deluca, Mays, Humber, Olson
Best vs Pass: Beck, LJ, Humber
Best In space: Humber, Beck
Best Rushing QB: Deluca, Beck, LJ

Nice list. Mays in the best all around over Lj.

Herd
09-03-2016, 05:06 PM
Best Leader of Men was GO. Then I'd go Mays. I stand by Humber and LJ for best all around. LJ could do everything. Rush, cover, run, hit, sack, block Fg's . . . He did it all. Much more diverse than Mays.

BisonHorns
09-04-2016, 01:57 PM
Heavy hitter-Mays
When he put a big hit on somebody the person's whole game changed from that point on. Receivers let balls go flying by, rushers stopped going for extra yards, quarterbacks threw the balls out to soon, even the waterboys were nervous coming onto the field so hydration suffered.