PDA

View Full Version : Roehl to runningback

Gamehunter
04-02-2006, 10:37 PM
I found this interresting. What is the chance of Roehl taking over the #1 tailback spot?

BTW, this guys is only going to be a Soph. this fall...

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=122387&section=Sports

.....He switched off between fullback and tailback on Saturday and appears to be making a serious bid at playing both positions next fall. At 5-foot-10 and about 220 pounds, he’s also one of the quickest players in the backfield.

“He has outstanding quickness,” offensive coordinator Pat Perles said. “He’s also a big horse. He’s shown himself to be a legitimate running back.”

NDSU has the luxury of moving Roehl to either position because of Tyler Jangula’s solid year as a freshman fullback. Roehl was strictly a fullback his freshman year two years ago. He took a few repetitions last spring at tailback before he was injured.

Senior Kyle Steffes and junior Cinque Chapman got most of the work with the No. 1 and 2 offenses on Saturday. Roehl’s presence could crowd the depth chart even more.....

MinotBison
04-02-2006, 11:05 PM
For those who might remember, how big was Chad Stark? Isn't Roehl about the same size?

Esquire
04-03-2006, 01:10 AM
I watched the scrimage and have seen him in high school. He is more of a "pounder". He would be a great change up in short yardage and in other situations. He doesn't have the cutting ability that Steffes or Chapman have. He is fast though. I think he prefers just to run right over people. The best I can come up with for a comparison of running style type, is Mike Alsott from Tampa Bay.

NDSUfb
04-03-2006, 02:10 AM
i believe i can speak for many saying i dont think there is any challenge for the number one spot at tail back, im pretty sure theres a guy named kyle steffes who is there and who has done quite amazing

tony
04-03-2006, 12:48 PM
It'd be cool to see Roehl getting some reps at tailback, but Steffes-Chapman are almost certainly going to be #1 and #2.

Green-N-Gold
04-03-2006, 04:37 PM
"Swing pass to Roehl...........TOUCHDOWN BISON!!!" :D

silkamilkamonico
04-03-2006, 06:25 PM
i believe i can speak for many saying i dont think there is any challenge for the number one spot at tail back, im pretty sure theres a guy named kyle steffes who is there and who has done quite amazing

I'll second that.

He might be a hybrid player. Roehl could start at FB, lineup at HB in short yard situations or even as another RB in 2 back sets.

He's certainly versatile enough.

MJ
04-03-2006, 06:26 PM
Don't forget about Symeon Cabell...I heard he looked real good in the scrimage on Sat. he's very shifty and has sneaky speed

mikelsch
04-03-2006, 08:01 PM
I was impressed with Cabell when he played last year. NDSU is loaded in the running game; hopefully the passing game will also prove to be formidable. The Bison are hard to beat when defenses are put in that run-pass conflict.

sambini
04-03-2006, 09:06 PM
Its nice have that depth. Steffes and Q are the 1 and 2. Stark played at 225. What do you think Wacker. Is that Starks weight back then?

Gamehunter
04-03-2006, 10:19 PM
I think this could be a very good year for the Bison offense. A player like Roehl could have made the difference in at least 2 of the games last year that resulted in losses. Anybody remember Montana St. ? That was a frustrating one.

MplsBison
04-03-2006, 11:04 PM
I'd say Montana State was more a problem of a few untimely penalties and a miracle last drive by a NFL level QB.

Gamehunter
04-04-2006, 12:21 AM
I'd say Montana State was more a problem of a few untimely penalties and a miracle last drive by a NFL level QB.

NDSU was 4th and 1 at the 1 yard line. A TD would have easily put the game away. Instead, the Bison were stopped and the result was the "miracle come from behind" win.

I think this is what Roehl will specialize in next year 8)

Jeffdaryl3rd
04-05-2006, 01:15 AM
I think that Bohl is really liking his versatility on offense. He has Steffes and Chapman which is a luxury in and of itself, and to also have Jangula and Roehl is almost ridiculous. Don't forget either though, that they still have Shamen Washington. Even though Shamen is going to play WR this year, I think he might see a couple snaps there. Either way, an embarassment of talent in NDSU's backfield.

DIBISON
04-06-2006, 02:47 AM
Coach Bohl had some positive comments tonight on sports about Roehl's play so far this spring and thought it was the best highlight of spring ball through the half way point. He mentioned that his skills bring another weapon to the offensive which was not there last year.