PDA

View Full Version : The Season Schedule for 2016-17, Any Information Would Help!

sprayman
08-18-2016, 04:24 PM
I know that it isn't official yet.

However, I do know that some of schedule information is available (like other schools have NDSU on their schedule and is published). Any information would be greatly appreciated! Go Bison!:biggrin:

Gladiator Dad
08-18-2016, 09:20 PM
Nov 6th 2:00 PM IA State Dual at Home
Nov 12th Bison Open at Scheels Arena

andegre
08-22-2016, 07:57 PM
Here's what's known so far regarding duals (other schools have posted their schedules)

http://testwrestlestat.azurewebsites.net/team/main/49/north-dakota-state (click the Schedule tab)

RadioBison
08-23-2016, 11:21 PM
Here's what's known so far regarding duals (other schools have posted their schedules)

http://testwrestlestat.azurewebsites.net/team/main/49/north-dakota-state (click the Schedule tab)

Seeing UVU on the schedule twice doesn't give me the best feeling.

Gladiator Dad
08-23-2016, 11:38 PM
Seeing UVU on the schedule twice doesn't give me the best feeling.

Originally Kish told me they were going to try and make up the dual that was canceled last year due to weather and airplane issues but he said logistically it's most likely not going to work out. So I believe there will only be one dual with them.

Gladiator Dad
08-31-2016, 04:47 PM
December 4th- vs Indiana @ Edwardsville, Illinois

December 4th vs SIU-Edwardsville @ Edwardsville, Illinois

January 6th vs Northern Colorado @ Fargo, North Dakota

February 3rd vs Utah Valley @ Fargo, North Dakota

February 12th vs Wyoming @ Wyoming

February 19th vs South Dakota State @ Brookings, SD

Abe1727
09-05-2016, 07:07 PM
Jan 28 vs Cal-poly and Cal-state Bakersfield in a tri-dual at Righetti high school. It was posted on Bakersfield's website.

sprayman
09-09-2016, 01:37 AM
Nov 6th 2:00 PM IA State Dual at Home
Nov 12th Bison Open at Scheels Arena

Gladiator (or anyone in the 'know'), how certain are you of the Iowa State Dual?
Thanks in advance!

Gladiator Dad
09-09-2016, 01:53 AM
Gladiator (or anyone in the 'know'), how certain are you of the Iowa State Dual?
Thanks in advance!

I'm pretty certain this is a done deal. IA State wrestles SDSU on the Friday before they dual NDSU.

sprayman
09-10-2016, 12:54 AM
Finally! Here it is!
http://www.gobison.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=247&path=wrestling

RadioBison
09-10-2016, 03:36 PM
Finally! Here it is!
http://www.gobison.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=247&path=wrestling

This looks solid to me. There are lots of good dual meet opportunities, but I'm a little surprised there is only one major individual tournament this season.

Big Bird
09-10-2016, 09:51 PM
That really sucks that the daktronics open is on the same day as the Iowa State match . The dak has way better competition than the bison usually. Pretty disappointed to only see two of the true B12 schools on the schedule. On the bright side, there are a ton of winnable duals

Gladiator Dad
09-10-2016, 11:54 PM
The preliminary schedule had the team going to either the Cliff Keen in Vegas again or the Reno Tournament of Champions. I think it came down to travel budget putting the Kabosh on those tournys. I know the coaching staff was hoping to get approved for Reno. I'm looking forward to the VA Duals and who we will see out there. The VA Duals make sense from a team standpoint in that they are guaranteed more matches than at a traditional tournament. If you take the team to Cliff Keen or Reno only guaranteed two matches. I also think it's good to see three teams from the Big10 (Indiana, Maryland & Northwestern) even if it's not the top teams you still see some quality wrestlers.

Gladiator Dad
09-10-2016, 11:58 PM
That really sucks that the daktronics open is on the same day as the Iowa State match . The dak has way better competition than the bison usually. Pretty disappointed to only see two of the true B12 schools on the schedule. On the bright side, there are a ton of winnable duals

I think it came down to IA State wrestling SDSU on that Friday and that was the only chance to see them in a dual. The Dak is a good tournament and it does suck to have to miss it but I think it's good to be able to wrestle IA State at home.

Sweepsingle
09-11-2016, 02:40 AM
I did not think that the schedule could get any weaker than last year...but I was proven wrong. This one is not very strong. Only 2 old Big 12 teams and the weak sisters of the Big 10...still loaded with all the WWC teams. At least Manny threw them a bone and got a California vaction trip thrown in duirng one of our great Fargo winters!

Did you see the Rabbits schedule?

Gladiator Dad
09-11-2016, 10:51 PM
I did not think that the schedule could get any weaker than last year...but I was proven wrong. This one is not very strong. Only 2 old Big 12 teams and the weak sisters of the Big 10...still loaded with all the WWC teams. At least Manny threw them a bone and got a California vaction trip thrown in duirng one of our great Fargo winters!

Did you see the Rabbits schedule?

The Jacks have three duals on their schedule against quality opponents Iowa, Oklahoma State & Virginia Tech, other than that does Dakota Wesleyan, Northern State, & Augustana (S.D.) jump out at you as top opponents? I know that NDSU proposed 3 Dates to OK State and they said no of them would work, So you're telling me that they (OK State) couldn't make any of those dates work for them? When does the onus fall onto the Original Big XII Teams and not fall on the New Affiliate Members? I'm not sure if they reached out to West VA but that dual is not a Big Deal? I know that they (the Jacks) have MN on their schedule as well but who knows at this point what type of team they will end up being this season with all that they have went through.

So lets look at both schedules shall we?

1) Bison Open - same
2) Midlands Championships - same their only major individual tournament as well
3) Boise State - same
4) Wyoming- same
5) Northern Colorado - same
6) Air Force - same
7) SIU-Edwardsville - same
8) Gardner-Webb - same
9) Oklahoma - same
10) Utah Valley
11) Big 12 Championship - same

So tell me is Northwestern, Maryland and Indiana a better wrestling team than Dakota Wesleyan, Northern State, & Augustana (S.D.)? Also I saw a preliminary schedule weeks prior to Manny going back to Cali and the West Coast Duals were already on there, so don't say that Manny threw them a bone. Also there is a chance to see VA and VA-Tech at the VA Duals.

Big Bird
09-12-2016, 01:43 AM
SDSU does have a significantly better schedule, especially at home with the addition of Iowa and Oklahoma. Iowa alone is a MASSIVE draw. Mn, Iowa, and OkSt are 3 of the premier programs in wrestling, plus their dual tourney vs the 3 non d1 SD schools is essentially the equivalent of the Cobber open. WVU and VT are both good gets too, with VT being really good since Dresser came to town. Duke has probably been a little better than the 3 B10 schools we have.

Even while i think sdsu has the much tougher and better overall schedule, i don't mind ndsu's schedule. It gives them a chance to see a huge variety of teams/styles and a chance to win a bunch of duals. I expect them to win a ton of the duals and i'll be disappointed if they don't.

Gladiator Dad
09-12-2016, 01:25 PM
Big Bird, I forgot about Duke, they are a pretty solid wrestling team. To your point about the Cobber Open though, none of the starters will be there since they will be traveling to Norman, OK for the Sooner Dual on Sunday. I know you didn't say it but I'm not trying to slight U of MN Wrestling but I think many would agree with me in that we really don't know how the team is going to be given everything that that has and is still going on with the program and since the Jacks see them early in the season I don't know if anyone knows what to expect from them until things settle down.

I think the schedule is pretty good myself, would I have liked to see OK-State & maybe W-VA, yes but on the other side of that coin we will get to see schools from the east coast to the west coast and I think that is good come tournament time.

I'm also looking forward to the VA Duals, The Bison will get to wrestle at least 5 duals that weekend, 3 in the pools and 2 in the placement brackets and for a team that's not necessarily young across the board but young in certain weights, it will great to get that many duals in on one weekend.

So far I found the Following Teams at the VA Duals, I believe there are 12 teams in total but these are the only ones that I can confirm right now.

1) NDSU (obviously)
2) VA-Tech
3) Virginia
4) Old Dominion
5) Bucknell
6) Campbell
7) Chattanooga
8) Lock Haven

Sweepsingle
09-12-2016, 01:40 PM
Gladiator Dad...you can not even compare the strength of schedule between the two...Bono is winning the head coach battle between Kish on many fronts...scheduling is just one of them. Bono has all of the orginal Big 12 teams on the schedule and adds Iowa and Minnesota to the lineup. The Bison Open is a tired tournament that does not draw any tough teams. The Daktronics while still weak compared to the past...is still stronger than the Bison.

Your argument about seeing every style from coast to coast would have merit if not for the fact that over 80% of the All Americans come out of the Big 10 and Big 12. So it benefits a team to wrestle as much of that style as any other across the country. The Bison will be a .500 dual team this year with 1 true All American candidate in Rodriguez. Top 10 or top 15 is still just a dream.

Gladiator Dad
09-12-2016, 03:04 PM
Gladiator Dad...you can not even compare the strength of schedule between the two...Bono is winning the head coach battle between Kish on many fronts...scheduling is just one of them. Bono has all of the orginal Big 12 teams on the schedule and adds Iowa and Minnesota to the lineup. The Bison Open is a tired tournament that does not draw any tough teams. The Daktronics while still weak compared to the past...is still stronger than the Bison.

Your argument about seeing every style from coast to coast would have merit if not for the fact that over 80% of the All Americans come out of the Big 10 and Big 12. So it benefits a team to wrestle as much of that style as any other across the country. The Bison will be a .500 dual team this year with 1 true All American candidate in Rodriguez. Top 10 or top 15 is still just a dream.

Look I'm not going to argue that they (Jacks) have a tough schedule but tell me how that helped them last year come Big XII tournament time? Yes I know they finished ahead of the Bison but how did their schedule last year which was pretty tough help them? Did they have more qualifiers than NDSU? How did that schedule help them at the NCAAs? Did the Jacks have more AAs than NDSU? I think developing your wrestlers should have more importance than how tough a schedule you have at this point of the game for both teams. I don't think the argument should be how both NDSU & SDSU compare to each other anymore, if that's what you think, then you're dead wrong. I think the argument and goal should be how both schools are going to get better to compete at a higher level at the Big XII Tournament and at the NCAA Tournament. I'm sure that your argument will be that by wrestling a tougher schedule that SDSU is better preparing their wrestlers for the bigger stage. I understand that train of thought but sometimes when you wrestle a tougher schedule thinking that you can become better, it can also backfire. When you go out and you get teched or pinned just about every time you step on the mat what does that gain? I think at this point of the game there needs to be balance in the schedule. Yes you need to see some of those upper tier teams so you see who and what's out there but you also need to see teams that are at or just above your level.

Sweep, seems to me that all you like to do is get on these web pages and complain on just about everything when it comes to NDSU Wrestling. So here are some questions for you to answer if you truly want to see NDSU Wrestling move forward let us know your thoughts on these questions.

1) What are the other areas that you think Bono is winning at?
2) Tell us how Bono is is winning in all of the other areas and how NDSU can improve?
3) How much time do you spend with anyone associated with the program to know what is actually going on?
4) Have you ever sat down with any of the coaching staff to ask them what their long term vision is for the team and how they plan to reach that vision?
5) Is there anything positive that you see with the team or coaches?

Sweep, maybe my questions or how I state things in this post are a little harsh but you can only make positive changes when you have true insight. I think you are passionate about the sport and NDSU Wrestling and I can appreciate that but I have learned that if your are going to make negative comments or something is wrong with something or someone but do not bring a solution to the table, then your opinion on a subject really doesn't matter. It's only when you point out things and offer a solution that things can move forward.

Lastly, and I'm being serious when I say this, email the coaches and ask them about things, you might be surprised as to why they chose this schedule or what they were trying to do that didn't work out the way they wanted.

Abe1727
09-12-2016, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the insight Gladiator Dad. I agree with you. The Coaches know what the team needs and are doing what they feel is best for this years squad. I think this seasons team will be a little older and much improved overall. Go Bison!

Sweepsingle
09-13-2016, 02:17 PM
First…I am not always bashing NDSU. When our institution made the jump to Division I…we all got excited. Not the top 5 power conferences...but Tier 2 conferences in all sports. Wrestling is in year 2 of being in a top 5 conference.

What I find difficult is all of the homer stuff. The football fans brag about the 5 titles. While an accomplishment, it is not comparable to the FBS which is the true Division I. So stop acting like the Bison can compete at that level. They cannot. Beating an occasional bottom tier team is not a great accomplishment. With all the FCS success it is now time to invest in going to the next level and becoming a full fledge FBS football program.

As it relates to wrestling the jump from DII to the WWC was a good move…just like football…we started to win and dominate that conference. Once again...not the top tier in Division I. SDSU has jumped to the lead of the WWC schools that joined and is beating NDSU in several categories since moving to the Big 12. Strength of schedule is one. Marketing and PR is another. The social media aspects that SDSU are implementing is far and above NDSU. The relationship with Flowresting is another advantage. That is great for their program and gives them exposure that makes the other top teams in the country want to participate.

Bono does a great job of developing his talent. He and his staff are involved at the International level and bring that experience to their room. Where is Kish with the International teams?

The coaching staff is not going to take calls from a fan and answer questions about their program. Only parents with direct access can ask questions…and even then…I doubt you get answers to all your questions.

As a fan with limited access to the inner discussions and activities of the team it is hard to see all the possible positives. Some of the things that I look for…community outreach…what does the team do to give back to the community? What does the team do to promote and grow the sport? Do they work with the local wrestling clubs and teams? I do not see NDSU promoting these kinds of activities…Do they exist?

NDSU can be content as a Tier 2 Division 1 athletic department competing outside of the power 5 conferneces. All of the is great and for many reasons makes sense. But the fans should not be acting like they are this great DI program...we are the JV of Division I.

Right now wrestling is the only sport in a Top Tier DI confrerence. Football should already be looking to make the next jump up...start lobbying a power 5 conference for admission. Winning is the measuring stick of all programs…Wresting can set the stage for getting all NDSU athletic programs to the next level. Can Kish build the prgram in to a consistent top 10 team? Time will tell.

Gladiator Dad
09-13-2016, 05:48 PM
Sweep, now that is a good post and you bring up some good points about a few things, some I can address and others I really don't have an answer for to be honest.

1) Football - I can see how all of the "homer stuff" can wear a person down living close to the school that's all you probably hear on a daily basis. I agree that NDSU should start looking to grow and expand other sports into the "FBS Level" in football's case and start making strides to move to top tier levels in other sports as well. I am not sure what the universities plans are in that respect. Maybe that's something to bring up to the people running Team Makers, they might know again I'm not sure.

2) Wrestling - I will take this in pieces as best I can.
A) Social Media - I agree that NDSU should be more active on social media platforms. I know Coach Garnett is trying to be more active on Twitter and Facebook but it will take some time. I have seen things sent out on social media from time to time but I'm not sure if that comes from the coaches or someone affiliated with the school in other capacities. I know that many thought the coaches corner needed a little something more than what was produced last year but at least that was step in the right direction in regards to social media outreach. As far as Flo goes, it's good and bad, I like a lot of what they do and it does promote your school or the sport of wrestling for that matter but the down side is that they then control your content and then they make the average person pay to see a dual or to watch replays & highlights of most duals. I'm also not sure what NDSU's overall athletic policy is when it comes to live streaming outside of I think it's currently with sidearm sports. Overall I think more schools not just NDSU need to start marketing wrestling better to get the sport in the main stream public eye if we want to grow the sport.
B) Developing Talent I think Kish and the Coaching Staff are doing a good job in developing their wrestlers. Last year I would say was not NDSU's best year on the mat but I think you will like this year's team much better. I think overall the team will be much more competitive on the mat and I for one am expecting some big things from many of the wrestlers this year. As far as the International stuff, I know Kish was with Zillmer at the Olympic Trials but he's not as active on the International scene as Bono but you have to remember that Bono wrestled on a few world teams and Reader is still actively wrestling (at least I think he still is) on the International scene. That's appealing to some wrestlers and for others not so much. The International Styles can be frustrating at times when it comes to officials scoring a match and that aspect of it turns some wrestlers off. I still think it's a good thing to keep active in the International Styles myself but that's just my own opinion.
C) Community Outreach - To be honest I'm not sure how much of this they actually do, I know Clay has never brought it up to me but then again I only hear from him when there's something wrong with his car or he can't get hold of his mother for something, LOL. I think doing some community service is a great idea and something that should be brought up to the team.
D) Fan Access - I'm not sure if they will take your call but hey send them an email, let them know your thoughts on things, you never know if they will respond or not. I think you'e more apt to hear back in an email than responding on social media that's for sure.

Abe1727
09-13-2016, 06:34 PM
The wrestling team volunteered at the Williston special Olympics in June. I thought it was a wonderful idea.

larson311
09-14-2016, 02:50 PM
First…I am not always bashing NDSU. When our institution made the jump to Division I…we all got excited. Not the top 5 power conferences...but Tier 2 conferences in all sports. Wrestling is in year 2 of being in a top 5 conference.

What I find difficult is all of the homer stuff. The football fans brag about the 5 titles. While an accomplishment, it is not comparable to the FBS which is the true Division I. So stop acting like the Bison can compete at that level. They cannot. Beating an occasional bottom tier team is not a great accomplishment. With all the FCS success it is now time to invest in going to the next level and becoming a full fledge FBS football program.

As it relates to wrestling the jump from DII to the WWC was a good move…just like football…we started to win and dominate that conference. Once again...not the top tier in Division I. SDSU has jumped to the lead of the WWC schools that joined and is beating NDSU in several categories since moving to the Big 12. Strength of schedule is one. Marketing and PR is another. The social media aspects that SDSU are implementing is far and above NDSU. The relationship with Flowresting is another advantage. That is great for their program and gives them exposure that makes the other top teams in the country want to participate.

Bono does a great job of developing his talent. He and his staff are involved at the International level and bring that experience to their room. Where is Kish with the International teams?

The coaching staff is not going to take calls from a fan and answer questions about their program. Only parents with direct access can ask questions…and even then…I doubt you get answers to all your questions.

As a fan with limited access to the inner discussions and activities of the team it is hard to see all the possible positives. Some of the things that I look for…community outreach…what does the team do to give back to the community? What does the team do to promote and grow the sport? Do they work with the local wrestling clubs and teams? I do not see NDSU promoting these kinds of activities…Do they exist?

NDSU can be content as a Tier 2 Division 1 athletic department competing outside of the power 5 conferneces. All of the is great and for many reasons makes sense. But the fans should not be acting like they are this great DI program...we are the JV of Division I.

Right now wrestling is the only sport in a Top Tier DI confrerence. Football should already be looking to make the next jump up...start lobbying a power 5 conference for admission. Winning is the measuring stick of all programs…Wresting can set the stage for getting all NDSU athletic programs to the next level. Can Kish build the prgram in to a consistent top 10 team? Time will tell.

I'm not really a proponent of moving football to FBS, but I'm hopeful we could be like UNI with wrestling and basketball being quite successful in the top division and football being at the top in FCS. Wrestling has a ways to go, but it's early. SDSU seems to be doing it right with Marketing, but they've really only outdid us on the mat last year, there's time to bounce back on the mat and in the media(I hope).

Big Bird
09-14-2016, 05:52 PM
I agree with what Sweep said about the areas where SDSU is beating NDSU, except for the developing talent aspect. Last year, SDSU was the better team, but one year isn't enough for me to declare they have suddenly leapt past NDSU's multiple AAs and conference titles.

For what its worth, Manny always responded to my emails and I have no direct connection to the team. Garnett is very active on social media and I would bet he'd respond too. Matt Nagel sent out an email for the upcoming Bucky Maughn golf tourney next Friday, so I would bet he'll be reachable on many issues. Get ahold of them and ask to be included and offer your support and help with anything and everything.

CoachGarnett
09-18-2016, 11:11 PM

Sweepsingle,

I actually would welcome you or anyone else on this thread to give me a call or send me an email. As a fan with an obvious interest and stake in our program, I would actually like the opportunity to speak with you and cover the things that you mentioned because I do have answers. I would like to tell you about our many community service projects, how many hours we have recorded over the last 2 years and our plan for the years to come, why our schedule is the way that it is, my personal social media with twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and snapchat promoting bison wrestling along with our twitter pages for our Team and our Facebook pages for our bison wrestling club and our NDSU varsity team. Since joining the program, I have brought new ideas and now with Coach Nagel he has brought fresh new ideas as well. We cannot do everything all at once. It's not a perfect science however we are taking strides in the right direction to build a program the right way and our gauge to do so is certainly not SDSU. So once again, we would love to speak to any of you. I can only speak for myself right now at this very moment but if you reach out, you will get a response. Thank you for your ideas and voicing your concerns.#GoBison

Big Bird
09-19-2016, 07:14 PM
Thanks for joining the discussion coach. I enjoy your activity on twitter quite a bit.

One thing I'm most interested in, is reaching a deal with Flo to broadcast the matches. Are you guys working towards that or is that something that you aren't likely to pursue (and would the administration even sign off on it)? I really think that the best thing SDSU has going for them is the agreement with Flo. Granted, NDSU has a platform in Gobison to watch matches nationally, but it is actually quite spendy and the bulk of the wrestling community has no clue it exists. 95% or more of the wrestling community has no interest in streaming a typical SDSU dual (Non Iowa opponent like Utah Valley), but if they're already paying for Flo, they're much more likely to give it a look on a Sunday afternoon/Friday evening. It gives them a great deal of exposure and they put on a good broadcast (even if Terry is a bit homerish). Plus, it gets the CP, Willie, Bader, etc. tweeting about the action, which reaches even more people. Jacked Up has been featured on Flo too, which is another feather in SDSU's cap.

I think it would be tremendously worthwhile, and I'd be curious if you guys have pursued this. I'd be even more curious to hear if Jeremy Jorgenson and co would even sign off on it. Again, thanks for joining the discussion!

CoachGarnett
09-20-2016, 02:40 PM
That is one thing has has actually come up quite often around the office is continuing to increase our exposure. I think we are now starting to see how its increased over the last year or 2 in our recruiting outreach. Moving more heavily into a state like Iowa would be one great example where its super tough to get kids out of that state. Another would be we are now battling for kids with other programs like Michigan, UNI, U of M, Illinois, Nebraska. etc. the last 3 kids we committed those were the other finalists. We have managed to put ourselves in a more serious light as far as the program goes. Now the next step after we have accomplished more regional exposure is national exposure. Making sure people around the country are easily able to watch Bison wrestling duals. Trust me we want everyone to be able to watch us battle these tough teams, especially the major ones like the Nov. 6th Iowa State dual and the Flo route just may be the best route if our dept is ok with it. That's part of the reason why we want to wrestle duals in each region of the country. Hopefully that answers your question well enough.

Big Bird
09-20-2016, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the response Coach. I think Flo would be a huge step towards increasing that national exposure. Plus, I would think it would make it easier to schedule some of the big fish, if they know that the dual will be readily available for consumption for the vast majority of the wrestling community.

The beauty of pitching Flo to the administration, is Flo is much more than just wrestling. Flo has a site for a lot of other "non-revenue" sports that could help grow the exposure of the track, cross country, volleyball, and softball programs too. I have no idea how popular the other "FLO" sites are, but I'd imagine it'd be better exposure than gobison.

Anyways, thanks for the response and looking forward to the golf outing Friday.

CoachGarnett
09-21-2016, 08:47 PM
Absolutely. Make sure you track me down and say hello at the outing. As I mentioned before you guys can send me a personal email or phone call any time.

Big Bird
09-23-2016, 10:47 PM
Also, for anyone interested, there is a social at Holiday Inn in Fargo tonight. I got a chance to meet and talk to Coach Garnett earlier today and he was very open and honest. I'd encourage everyone to come out, mingle, support NDSU wrestling, have a few drinks, and meet the coaches. They were all very open and inviting all day today and I doubt that changes tonight or afterwards. I believe it is free to get in and there is a cash bar.

CoachGarnett
09-28-2016, 02:46 PM
For those interested, we have also started an eTeam sponsor fundraising campaign running through the date of the Iowa State match. We look forward to your support. Also, stay tuned for another promo video once the new room is finally completed and the arena is 100% finished and we are allowed on the floor so that we can include those new areas in the video. Go Bison! Here is the link to our campaign page:

http://app.eteamsponsor.com/ETS/supportUs/27970481?fund_participant_id=27970513&program=13849458&fundraiser=27970481&participant=27970326&source=email

NickMagee
09-28-2016, 03:53 PM
For those of you interested in celebrating 1995 National Champion Ryan Wolters' induction into the Bison Hall of Fame you are welcomed to join us at the Holiday Inn on Saturday, October 1st at 7pm in the Mezzanine Suites 1&2. The Bison Wrestling Club will be putting on a gathering space for family and friends to join. With it being Homecoming we encourage the Bison Wrestling Family to join us.

larson311
10-07-2016, 02:30 PM
Are we having a Bison Coaches Corner or anything like that coming soon?

larson311
10-10-2016, 05:14 PM
Are we having a Bison Coaches Corner or anything like that coming soon?

Gophers released their first coaches corner last week and SDSU released their 3rd jacked up monday of the season today...

CoachGarnett
10-12-2016, 06:12 PM
Gophers released their first coaches corner last week and SDSU released their 3rd jacked up monday of the season today...

Yes, the 1st coaches corner will be on its way soon. The timing will be perfect as we have finished preseason now and will have a few weeks of official practice under our belt. Stay tuned

Abe1727
10-13-2016, 12:54 AM
Thanks Coach Garnett. Go Bison.

onbison09
10-13-2016, 03:19 AM
Carmen Sykroa? Isn't it Cameron? http://www.gobison.com/roster.aspx?path=wrestling

RadioBison
10-14-2016, 10:58 PM
Are any of the returning guys planning to redshirt this year?

larson311
10-24-2016, 04:36 PM
Are any of the returning guys planning to redshirt this year?

Nico Colunga is expected to redshirt

Abe1727
10-25-2016, 01:41 AM
He's also moving up a weight class to 141lbs.

Gladiator Dad
10-25-2016, 02:35 AM
I saw Nico over the summer during Fargo and couldn't believe how big he had gotten

RadioBison
10-25-2016, 03:25 AM
Nico Colunga is expected to redshirt

Nico was one that I expected. Someone mentioned here last year that Logan Paxton might use a redshirt this year, so he was the other one I was wondering about.

Gladiator Dad
10-25-2016, 03:34 AM
Nico was one that I expected. Someone mentioned here last year that Logan Paxton might use a redshirt this year, so he was the other one I was wondering about.

That might have been me but someone corrected me on Paxton that he had already taken a redshirt prior to coming to NDSU

Abe1727
10-25-2016, 08:49 PM
His roomates from Minnesota (Andrew and David) must be feeding him well. Last week he told us he's becoming quite the accomplished chef. Ha,ha,ha. Take care and good luck to Clay this season. See you at the Bison open.

sprayman
10-27-2016, 07:51 PM
Would any of you have all of the matches for the scrimage on Saturday?

larson311
10-28-2016, 02:07 PM
I'm not sure what the matches are, but here are some intriguing "potential" matchups. The only absolute locks I'd have to believe are Rodriguez at 120 and Ream at 157.

133 - Cameron Sykora vs Albert Landeros
141 - Thomas Walton then Joe Umlauf
149 - Kyle Gliva vs Mitch Friedman
165 - Andrew Fogarty vs Grant Nehring
174 - Carter Nielsen vs Blake Thompson
184 - Logan Paxton vs Alex Bleeker vs Dylan Urbach vs Vincent Feola(down from hwt)
197 - Cordell Eaton vs potentially someone from the 184 weight class
285 - Ben Tynan vs Dan Stibral

Abe1727
10-28-2016, 03:22 PM
Is there going to be a live feed? I just paid for my all-access. Go Bison.

sprayman
10-28-2016, 09:10 PM

Should go down like this.

larson311
10-28-2016, 09:11 PM
Is there going to be a live feed? I just paid for my all-access. Go Bison.

Coach Garnett replied to me on Twitter saying they plan on doing a Facebook Live stream of it.

Abe1727
10-29-2016, 05:28 AM
Yep, 1pm on facebook.

Big Bird
10-30-2016, 01:21 AM
I enjoyed the showing today. It looks like it'll be a young team, but that's not a bad thing. My take on today's action:

125- Rodriguez looked great. If he opens up more on his feet vs some of the better talent and is improved on bottom, the sky is the limit
133- Cam looked very good. The two keys for him will be his gas tank and winning on his feet. His ankle pick was beautiful, but I think he still telegraphs his single a bit. Hopefully Landeros holds down the spot until Cam is able to go 2nd semester.
141- Umlauf looked ok. It's tough to gauge wrestlers when they're facing off vs teammates, so I'm hoping he opens up a bit more vs outside competition. With how close the Walton-Umlauf match was, we'll probably see this play out more in opens.
149- Gliva has had the better results in the past, and had the better offense today, but Friedman won. Super close match with not a lot of action, and really hard to evaluate either performance. Opens will be interesting for these two.
157- Clay looked great. Would've liked to see Mergen wrestling here too, but that's nitpicking.
165- Fogarty looked really good and Nehring is pretty high quality depth.
174- Nielson looked really quick. Not super sharp, but really quick. Witzig looked pretty solid too. I'll be interested to see him in some opens.
184- McNutt looked better at 184. Urbach looked alright too, but looked a bit stiff. I would use both of them depending on the matchup. Downey is a big time upper body guy, who has heavy hips too. I'd go Urbach vs him, as he looks a bit stronger and may be able to slow him down more. Good depth at this weight.
197- Eaton was like Nielson. Super quick, but not super sharp. Don't get me wrong, he looked good, but he can improve his performance quite a bit. I think he should do really well. Bleeker looked solid too and gives some more depth in the 184-197 range.
HWT- Tynan looked really good. Rode pretty well and he had super quick, clean shots. Stibral is a big, strong guy, but had no answer for Tynan's speed. Stibral is a pretty high quality backup and should be a capable starter down the line.

The redshirt freshman class is sure looking better. It wasn't a highly rated class by any means, but Sykora, Fogarty, Nielson, and Eaton all look like quality young starters right now, and that doesn't even factor in Stibral, Nico, and Bleeker. Heck, I thought Mergen was solid last year too and Landeros will probably start the first semester this year.

onbison09
11-12-2016, 01:23 AM
What time does the Bison Open start?

Abe1727
11-12-2016, 02:18 AM
I think it's 10am. I'm not positive though.

Big Bird
11-12-2016, 02:24 AM
I think it's 10am. I'm not positive though.

Yeah, it's surprisingly tough to find, but the MSUM schedule has it starting at 10am

BYZEN
11-12-2016, 03:40 AM
Yeah, it's surprisingly tough to find, but the MSUM schedule has it starting at 10am

My tickets say 10:00 AM at Scheel's Arena. Good thing I looked at that. I thought it was at the SHAC.