PDA

View Full Version : 2016 RBs

CAS4127
08-16-2016, 06:30 PM
Really interested in this group. Let's discuss. Who's all in the actual mix beside KF & BA. Will it be by committee again this year or will we settle in with 2-back rotation that brought us our first 4 consecutive Natty's basically, sans JC having majority of reps in '14 run?

Sent from my iPhone.

CaBisonFan
08-16-2016, 06:34 PM
I predict that Purifoy and/or Cofield will show tremendous ability, and can't be left off the field.

BisoninNWMN
08-16-2016, 06:35 PM
KF and BA should get most of the touches IMO.

Dunn will get some. Morlock more of a utility back IMO.

Purfoy?? IDK

Bisonwinagn
08-16-2016, 06:43 PM
My guess is King is going to step it up his senior year and get more carries. But they will still all get playing time which is good.
Purifoy is out for a few weeks with a hip. Sometimes those injuries can linger.

Dubbsy
08-16-2016, 06:47 PM
A bunch of 'Oh God, No' sets...
http://www.devilslakejournal.com/news/20160816/herd-following-herd-ndsus-stacked-backfield-is-offensive-coordinators-best-nightmare (p2)

NDSU has a formation with the quarterback in shotgun, a running back on both sides of him and a running back behind him.

I’m not sure what the package is called, but I believe opposing defensive coaches call it “oh God, no.”

ZHerd
08-16-2016, 06:49 PM
I predict that Purifoy and/or Cofield will show tremendous ability, and can't be left off the field.

They should redshirt Cofield. Having a 6th RB would be a complete waste of a year of his time here

17>1
08-16-2016, 07:00 PM
They should redshirt Cofield. Having a 6th RB would be a complete waste of a year of his time here

this^

Unless we get hammered with injuries, I say keep the shirt on this kid if at all possible.

Rixen
08-16-2016, 07:02 PM
KF and BA should get most of the touches IMO.

Dunn will get some. Morlock more of a utility back IMO.

Purfoy?? IDK

Agreed. Really excited to see what Purifoy has to offer. I love the OOC schedule but if we had a cakewalk game it would have been great to see him get a good amount of snaps. His time will come.

I also agree that pulling Cofield's shirt would not be wise unless he is absolutely transcendent. King and Bruce as lead backs, Chase as utility, and Dunn and Purifoy as changeups.....Zero need for a 6th back.

Bison03
08-16-2016, 07:08 PM
The backs that will be in play and that will get the carries will be Frazier, Anderson, Morlock, and Dunn. The two younger guys will have to wait their turn. Nice option to have with 6 guys that would start for most teams. I think the breakdown as far as % of carries will be Frazier: 35%, Anderson: 25%, Morlock: 20%, Dunn: 20%. Now, many factors could change all this with things like; if King steps up like Crockett did his senior year, or Anderson takes a big leap in productivity, or if Morlock becomes more of a FB/TE option. I hope we run more of that set with 3 backs. How do you stop 4 running options!! Cant wait for coach P to work his magic.

17>1
08-16-2016, 07:11 PM
The backs that will be in play and that will get the carries will be Frazier, Anderson, Morlock, and Dunn. The two younger guys will have to wait their turn. Nice option to have with 6 guys that would start for most teams. I think the breakdown as far as % of carries will be Frazier: 35%, Anderson: 25%, Morlock: 20%, Dunn: 20%. Now, many factors could change all this with things like; if King steps up like Crockett did his senior year, or Anderson takes a big leap in productivity, or if Morlock becomes more of a FB/TE option. I hope we run more of that set with 3 backs. How do you stop 4 running options!! Cant wait for coach P to work his magic.

Word on the street is that there's a play in place where we have this 3 headed monster in the backfield and then the pass goes out to an eligible left tackle in the flat, can't wait to see that one.

//purple

Bison20
08-16-2016, 07:15 PM
No need to waste a year with Cofield with all the talent we have. I really hope Bruce gets a good majority of the carries with king pounding the ball between the tackles. I hope morlock is used as a fb and pass catcher and doesn't get a lot of carries.

Bison Loaf
08-16-2016, 07:18 PM
I agree that this is going to be an interesting group to follow, and also generally agree with many of you that I see Frazier and Anderson getting most of the carries this year - maybe even splitting the workload right down the middle ala 2013 Ojuri & Crockett.

But...............I still have it in my mind that a healthy Morlock is a effin' dude of a runner, and that he still has great potential and ability as a regular ball carrier, not just as a utility back. Not sure if that will happen with all the potential talent it appears we have back there, but................

CAS4127
08-16-2016, 07:18 PM
I guess I have always been a fan of giving the ball to whomever is having a "good" day. Sometimes defenses just have a difficult time with a certain running style, similar to what we saw in re-match with CCU. Would really like to see a whomever has both tackle-breaking physicality and TD-breakaway speed, as in JC is sr year. Whatever happens, with this stable of backs, we should be dangerous out of the backfield.

BisonTru
08-16-2016, 07:26 PM
I'm really pleased with the depth of this group. We HOPEFULLY are going to play 15 games, and HOPEFULLY a large portion of our games are ground and pound. Having a lot of guys to spread the hits around is a huge plus, and an injury or two through out the season among this group is likely.

DM05
08-16-2016, 07:37 PM
If I had a choice, King and Bruce would split 80% of the carries, Dunn would get 10% (mostly as a change of pace or in the fourth quarter when his speed to the edge would kill a tired defense) and Morlock would get 10% but be used all over the place like Bonnett was. Morlock is killer as a lead blocker in the NASCAR package (or the Oh God, no formation referenced earlier), and those set up the wheel routes that he scored on last year. That is such a good formation, so many options out of it, that the defense almost has to ignore the lead blocker. Purifoy will probably have to stick to special teams and mop-up duty, but will be added to the mix next year.

In my mind, King earned a lot of the load this year by his play in the second half last year. Bruce is an animal that is our next great back, and he's put on 10 pounds. So fast to the edge, and now has some added strength to handle more carries. Each one brings something a little different...

17>1
08-16-2016, 07:42 PM
I agree that this is going to be an interesting group to follow, and also generally agree with many of you that I see Frazier and Anderson getting most of the carries this year - maybe even splitting the workload right down the middle ala 2013 Ojuri & Crockett.

But...............I still have it in my mind that a healthy Morlock is a effin' dude of a runner, and that he still has great potential and ability as a regular ball carrier, not just as a utility back. Not sure if that will happen with all the potential talent it appears we have back there, but................

I'm with you on Morlock. I feel like we've yet to see what a healthy Chase Morlock can look like. I want to see him on the field often, and if he's half as good as Bonnet was I'd be happy with that.

EC8CH
08-16-2016, 07:43 PM
King is leaner.
Morlock looks stronger.
Anderson has spent a year with Kramer now and apparently it shows.

I pitty MVFC defenses.

Farmer63
08-16-2016, 07:50 PM
With the list of RB's we have, I can't think of any possible reason to take Cofield's redshirt off. Especially with no 2017 RB committed.

tony
08-16-2016, 07:53 PM
King flipped it to beast mode in the playoffs... he got stronger and stronger as the season went on. I'd expect him to get a lot of carries.
Morlock is healthy... and if he can stay that way, he's a tremendous weapon.
Bruce Anderson - I didn't not know that "playmaker" had 16 u's in it (as in Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce!) On the flashy side, he's the best KR in the FBS. On the "little things" side, he just does things away from the ball that I'd expect out of somebody like Ryan Smith (for example, I'm pretty sure he recovered two muffed punts in a single game last year.)
Dunn can get 'er done.
Purifoy - seems like we've been waiting forever to see him play.

bisonaudit
08-16-2016, 08:03 PM
A bunch of 'Oh God, No' sets...
http://www.devilslakejournal.com/news/20160816/herd-following-herd-ndsus-stacked-backfield-is-offensive-coordinators-best-nightmare (p2)

Grantland Rice had a name for it.

"Outlined against a blue-gray October sky, the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore their names are Death, Destruction, Pestilence, and Famine. But those are aliases."

Rixen
08-16-2016, 08:17 PM
I think some people on here forget that Bruce Anderson is now BIGGER (+3 lbs and same height) than Frazier after his first offseason with Kramer. Probably has more wiggle and speed than Frazier too. I love me some Frazier though. I feel like King on offense and Ambrosius on defense were the two people that really upped their game once Carson went down and kept us on track for the championship run.

Over the last 2 years we have averaged roughly 48 rushing attempts per game it looks like. With Easton running the show I expect that to stay about the same, or uptick slightly. This is how I see the breakdown assuming the same 48 rush attempts per game average.

Frazier 14
Bruce 14
Morlock 6 (Morlock will also get involved in his swiss army knife role within the passing game more than the others as well to keep him utilized)
Dunn 5
Stick 5
Purifoy 2
FB/WR/etc 2

I think this seems realistic. I think Purifoy will be a tad behind with the hip stinger and maybe needs to get a bit more weight on him but we may never need him as a primary back to where his slight frame isn't as big of an issue. Next year it becomes the Bruce, Dunn, Purifoy, and Cofield show....Disgusting. Reload, babay!

HerdBoy
08-16-2016, 08:21 PM
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb403/JKJP1920/King_zpsd4lmcwgl.jpg

I envision more King this year.

EndZoneQB
08-16-2016, 08:32 PM
I still think Frazier is the bell cow this year. He said he wanted more touches because it helps him get in a better rhythm. They gave him more touches last year and we all were rewarded, I think we continue that trend.

BisonNation11
08-16-2016, 09:10 PM
King and BA will dominate the carries with King getting the higher amounts of reps. Morlock and Dunn will split 3rd and long duties with Morlock seeing more playing time due to his ability to be placed just about anywhere on the field. If BA has a long kick return, I think King gets more reps during that series with Dunn filling in for BA. Not that he needed to, but I like that King lost some weight. Hope it was a switch from fat to muscle and it helps his speed. Super pumped to see that BA put on weight. Hope it translates into more broken tackles. Would love to see Dunn break the long runs he was so close to doing last season. Like has been said, Purifoy will get mop up duty. Keep that young man eating and in the weight room. And then there's Stick. I know he's a QB but if he improves from last season, look out!

GOBISON123
08-16-2016, 09:19 PM
Morlock should work on ball safety. He is prone to dropping the ball. He did that last year near the red zone against UNI in the 2nd half.

Bison20
08-16-2016, 09:26 PM
Hopefully Dunn can stay healthy and also get some c arrives as a change of pace back. I think he can add another demention with his speed

ndsubison1
08-16-2016, 10:01 PM
Really interested in this group. Let's discuss. Who's all in the actual mix beside KF & BA. Will it be by committee again this year or will we settle in with 2-back rotation that brought us our first 4 consecutive Natty's basically, sans JC having majority of reps in '14 run?

Sent from my iPhone.

Rotation like last year. Morlock to FB.

bruinbison
08-17-2016, 12:16 AM
Later last season Bruce Anderson was also being used as slot receiver, with someone else lined up behind Stick.
That gave the opportunity for jet sweeps. Will be fun to see if some pass routes feature BA out of the slot position. That was a good way to get more playing time for all that RB depth.

Also will be looking for former Bruin RB Ty Brooks (RFR) and how the coaches utilize him (RB, slot receiver, punt/kickoff returns)
(Brooks provides even more depth at RB - another reason to hope Cofield is
redshirted). Coach Klieman mentioned Brooks a couple times in the interviews I heard.

Am excited to see Purifoy, hope his injury heals quickly. Coach K said it would cause him to miss a couple games.

td577
08-17-2016, 12:43 AM
I have no problem with a healthy dose of King and Bruce. It would be a stretch to think either would go through a whole season injury free, so I expect to see somebody else step in when necessary. I have become a huge fan of BA and I want to see more. KF is just a no nonsense runner who gets the job done. I would like to see us return to the day of a couple 1000 yard backs.

I get concerned with more than a two back system. I said it a lot last year and I think it is so important for the offense to figure out the rhythm of their main backs. Not just the backs finding their groove, but the line figuring out the timing of a couple of backs and not a bunch of them rotating in. KF is more of a runner who runs the play exactly how it is drawn up. When he is in the game, blockers know they have to stay 100% within the lines in the playbook. He is fine with bouncing off of defenders for extra yards. BA will cut back and find openings that aren't supposed to be there. WRs and TEs know they have to keep their head on a swivel and react. More backs mean more running styles that add to complexity. It doesn't maximize the offense if you limit a RB's strengths.

Bisonator98
08-17-2016, 02:05 AM
I'd like to see BA get some more carries. He has that break away ability that I just don't see in King. King's a solid back, hit the hole hard the second half last year but doesn't really have a miss me or can't catch me mode. Really thought Dunn would be better last year but he seems to be a work in progress. Morlock is a great utility back who catches the ball extremely well out of the backfield. He should have a great year in that Bonnett role this year.

Alsen
08-17-2016, 03:26 AM
Don't sleep on Ty Brooks. He is going to contribute if he can stay healthy. RB takes a hard noggin.

bison_by_blood
08-17-2016, 04:58 AM
Morlock should work on ball safety. He is prone to dropping the ball. He did that last year near the red zone against UNI in the 2nd half.

I cringe every time I see him carrying the ball away from his body. Part of the reason he might be more suited to FB. Frankly, we sucked at ball security last year. 25 fumbles with 12 lost compared to 15 fumbles and 9 lost for our opponents. I think we have the depth to say hold on to the ball or we will give it to the guy who can. Also, it would be nice to see one of these guys separate themselves on punt returns. You'd think that would be perfect for Dunn.

Scooter1
08-17-2016, 02:33 PM
I think Chase is going to be a big part of the offense. If he stays healthy this offense is going to be hard to stop. He has the confidence of his team mates and that was confirmed by Chase being elected a captain. When he was healthy, he was a game changer last season.

King Frazier, Bruce Anderson, Chase Morlock, Lance Dunn, Demaris Purifoy and Adam Cofield....wow, that's an impressive lineup.

Bisonwinagn
08-17-2016, 04:06 PM
I cringe every time I see him carrying the ball away from his body. Part of the reason he might be more suited to FB. Frankly, we sucked at ball security last year. 25 fumbles with 12 lost compared to 15 fumbles and 9 lost for our opponents. I think we have the depth to say hold on to the ball or we will give it to the guy who can. Also, it would be nice to see one of these guys separate themselves on punt returns. You'd think that would be perfect for Dunn.

Perkins is still here to return punts. My guess is Brooks could be a backup.

jcdcubs
08-17-2016, 08:15 PM
Darius Anderson is gone. I think Ty Brooks and/or Purifoy will fill Darius Anderson spot that don't play very often. Rest of RB is back from last year. Morlock can play RB, FB, and TE. Bison will have good RB numbers included Stick will run a lot.

17>1
08-17-2016, 08:42 PM
Don't sleep on Ty Brooks. He is going to contribute if he can stay healthy. RB takes a hard noggin.

Don't sleep on Robbie Grimsley. He is going to contribute AGAIN if he can stay healthy. SS delivers a hard knockin'.

IzzyFlexion
08-17-2016, 09:07 PM
Darius Anderson is gone. I think Ty Brooks and/or Purifoy will fill Darius Anderson spot that don't play very often. Rest of RB is back from last year. Morlock can play RB, FB, and TE. Bison will have good RB numbers included Stick will run a lot.

High school track and field PRs in the 100 meter dash:

Ty Brooks: 11.19.
Demaris Purifoy: 11.09

Good speed in both of those guys for sure.

GOBISON123
08-18-2016, 04:14 AM

He is a good utility player. He did some good things against the Grizzlies in the season opener last year and also against the WetGreenBirds from GrandForks last year, but certainly ball safety is one area where he needs to clean up.

Please dont say that man, this is not a compliment. This is very risky. He is just one injury away from ending his season.

[/B]Demaris Purifoy: 11.09

Good speed in both of those guys for sure.

My sources tell me that if Purifoy stops being a social butterfly and concentrate on adding muscle he will be next David Johnson but he is not serious and more into attending party's and having fun. Lot of folks are disappointed with his lack of seriousness.

BisonTru
08-18-2016, 04:32 AM
Please dont say that man, this is not a compliment. This is very risky. He is just one injury away from ending his season.

My sources tell me that if Purifoy stops being a social butterfly and concentrate on adding muscle he will be next David Johnson but he is not serious and more into attending party's and having fun. Lot of folks are disappointed with his lack of seriousness.

Why post that? Judging by your posts your sources are probably garbage. There's no need to put that hearsay info out there.

And yes, genius, we're going to run Stick. He's fast as hell. We ran Wentz and he was one of the best passers in the nation (all divisions). Plus we have Cole Davis who looks pretty solid to come in if need be.

GOBISON123
08-18-2016, 04:47 AM
Why post that? Judging by your posts your sources are probably garbage. There's no need to put that hearsay info out there.

And yes, genius, we're going to run Stick. He's fast as hell. We ran Wentz and he was one of the best passers in the nation (all divisions). Plus we have Cole Davis who looks pretty solid to come in if need be.

Okay, I am not a fan of running QBs

BisonTru
08-18-2016, 04:51 AM

Get use to it, because that's what we do, and it's damn effective.

bison_by_blood
08-18-2016, 09:46 AM

Well we won 13 NC by running qbs. Bentrim, Simdorn, Feeney, etc. might disagree with your stance...

Bison20
08-18-2016, 01:18 PM
Well we won 13 NC by running qbs. Bentrim, Simdorn, Feeney, etc. might disagree with your stance...

There is a difference between running when things break down or the occasional designed run then running the option almost every play. It is nice to give the defense something to worry about but he doesn't need to run 15 times a game.

Farmer63
08-18-2016, 01:42 PM
There is a difference between running when things break down or the occasional designed run then running the option almost every play. It is nice to give the defense something to worry about but he doesn't need to run 15 times a game.

It would be interesting to see an analysis on risk of QB injury. Obviously a play where the QB hands off would seem to have the least likelihood of QB injury. But I'd be willing to bet that there is only marginally more risk of injury for a designed QB run vs a designed pass play. Wentz broke his wrist on a passing play. I looked for some statistical analysis, but couldn't find anything.

Bison Loaf
08-18-2016, 01:55 PM
It would be interesting to see an analysis on risk of QB injury. Obviously a play where the QB hands off would seem to have the least likelihood of QB injury. But I'd be willing to bet that there is only marginally more risk of injury for a designed QB run vs a designed pass play. Wentz broke his wrist on a passing play. I looked for some statistical analysis, but couldn't find anything.

I would guess just standing back in the passing pocket has to be the biggest, most-often-taken risk to injury in all of football.

Not gonna be able to avoid that........and still play the game decently. :)

Bison20
08-18-2016, 09:05 PM

I agree we need to use sticks ability to run since he is so good but we don't need to have him taking more than several his in a game especially in our conference. I do know the more hits the more likely there is to get hurt

Bisonwinagn
08-19-2016, 01:47 AM
I agree we need to use sticks ability to run since he is so good but we don't need to have him taking more than several his in a game especially in our conference. I do know the more hits the more likely there is to get hurt

If the defense can't stop it he will run 20 times a game. YOU play to win the game!!!!!

thebootfitter
08-22-2016, 09:53 PM
I liked Klieman's comment in his presser about Bruce: "He looks like a completely different person." (or something to that effect -- in relation to how much bigger/stronger he got in the weight room since last year)

Can't wait to see him on the field again!

OatmealWicket92
08-22-2016, 10:05 PM
Super excited about the RB group this year, I think it's gonna be power all year long. (I guess every year we are the most power heavy team in the nation, but I think we won't try to over-fancy it this year) also, it's good to be back after a couple months hiatus, I needed to tone down my internet usage, but football season is back and I'm so ready for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

semobison
08-23-2016, 12:53 AM

Last season Our QB led the team in rushing in four games including the Natty. Wentz and Stick ran for over 900 yards for the season. It was a big part of our offense last season. Not sure if that was a good thing or something to be worried about!

SoCalBison
08-23-2016, 02:40 AM
Super excited about the RB group this year, I think it's gonna be power all year long. (I guess every year we are the most power heavy team in the nation, but I think we won't try to over-fancy it this year) also, it's good to be back after a couple months hiatus, I needed to tone down my internet usage, but football season is back and I'm so ready for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This! Season is about to begin, so I can stop focusing on NFL exhibition games (even if they do feature Bison alumni). Pumped for Saturday!

NDSU German from Russia
08-23-2016, 05:20 AM
i've very excited to see this group of RB's as well. It sounds like Bruce has put on size & strength, according to 7/22 presser from coach K. Coach saying BA has basically taken it to a new level.

I love seeing opposing teams trying to catch their breathe in the second half when we just keep pounding them.

Is it Saturday yet?

NDSU German from Russia
08-23-2016, 05:21 AM
i've very excited to see this group of RB's as well. It sounds like Bruce has put on size & strength, according to today's presser from coach K. Coach indicating BA has basically taken it to a new level!

I love seeing opposing teams trying to catch their breathe in the second half when we just keep pounding them.

Is it Saturday yet?

A1pigskin
08-23-2016, 12:05 PM
I see BA being #1 and KF #2. Throw in CM here and there.