PDA

View Full Version : Kolpacks book: Horns Up

HerdBot
08-15-2016, 04:08 AM
Just finished it. I won't do any spoilers but I will say it's a must read for Bison Fans.

I want to thank Jeff. He obviously put a ton of effort into this. He is the only person in the state who could have pulled it off. Please go out and buy it to show your appreciation.

Jeff's dad would have been proud. I think it's actually better than the original.

Bison bison
08-15-2016, 04:23 AM
ill check it out from the library.

pucknut9
08-15-2016, 04:27 AM
Signed one for me. Have yet to start to read it. Will soon after I finish the current book I'm reading.

SomeBeach
08-15-2016, 04:31 AM
I hear if you don't like at least 8 of the chapters, he has to give you your money back.

MAKBison
08-15-2016, 05:34 AM
Just finished it. I won't do any spoilers but I will say it's a must read for Bison Fans.

I want to thank Jeff. He obviously put a ton of effort into this. He is the only person in the state who could have pulled it off. Please go out and buy it to show your appreciation.

Jeff's dad would have been proud. I think it's actually better than the original.

I was excited for it....now I'll wait till it's in paperback

BisonNeil
08-15-2016, 09:44 AM
I enjoyed it immensely!

westnodak93bison
08-15-2016, 11:59 AM
I hear if you don't like at least 8 of the chapters, he has to give you your money back.
Lmao

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

KCBison68
08-15-2016, 01:05 PM
It is in paperback. Got one from Amazon.

Bison 4 Life
08-15-2016, 01:15 PM
Can I do a Periscope of me reading the book aloud in the Forum parking lot?

NDSU1980
08-15-2016, 01:41 PM

I'm glad you're keeping quiet. I don't want to know those championship games turn out til I read the book. :)

IBleedYellow
08-15-2016, 01:44 PM
Awesome book. Just awesome.

bisonmike2
08-15-2016, 02:02 PM

This statement deserves more love.

Also, Is Scheels selling it? I'd like to pick up a copy when I roll through there next week.

BisonTeacher
08-15-2016, 02:03 PM

Also, Is Scheels selling it? I'd like to pick up a copy when I roll through there next week.

Maybe scheels has it online?

Bison"FANatic"
08-15-2016, 02:23 PM

LMAO I see what you did there!!!!!!!!!

StL Bison Fan
08-15-2016, 02:24 PM

I went yesterday since everyone was talking about it. Not on sale at scheels until the 22nd. Not an amazon person so I guess I'll wait.

THEsocalledfan
08-15-2016, 02:48 PM
I'm about half way done. I do plan on doing a full review when I am completed that I'll post here and Amazon.

One nugget that should not be surprising; he clearly lurks here and smart enough not to post like Hammer back in the day. Makes sense since there are "in the know" folks here who hear whispers early on big stories. (Hell, I broke the USD was not going Big Sky.) He alludes to bisonville when talking about Carson's injury.

However, I was very humbled when he lifted my post from Bisonville to help honor Scott Miller. That was completely unexpected, and you can imagine my surprise when I started reading my own words in his book.

Bison Bridge Guy
08-15-2016, 03:36 PM
I went yesterday since everyone was talking about it. Not on sale at scheels until the 22nd. Not an amazon person so I guess I'll wait.

The NDSU Bookstore on campus sells them.

tjbison
08-15-2016, 05:12 PM
I'm about half way done. I do plan on doing a full review when I am completed that I'll post here and Amazon.

One nugget that should not be surprising; he clearly lurks here and smart enough not to post like Hammer back in the day. Makes sense since there are "in the know" folks here who hear whispers early on big stories. (Hell, I broke the USD was not going Big Sky.) He alludes to bisonville when talking about Carson's injury.

However, I was very humbled when he lifted my post from Bisonville to help honor Scott Miller. That was completely unexpected, and you can imagine my surprise when I started reading my own words in his book.

Did he credit you as the source??

JMB
08-15-2016, 05:27 PM

I just went back and looked up your post. He picked the right one, that summed it up for a lot of us.

THEsocalledfan
08-15-2016, 05:56 PM
Did he credit you as the source??

He said it came from Bisonville, but not my name. I think he called it the "fan site." I am good with it as he made it clear he did not write it and quoted it.

It would be interesting to know who actually owns that intellectual property.....tony or me? (I am only interested since I am an author and deal with permissions all the time. CAS, Tony? You know?)

BisonTeacher
08-15-2016, 06:06 PM
He said it came from Bisonville, but not my name. I think he called it the "fan site." I am good with it as he made it clear he did not write it and quoted it.

It would be interesting to know who actually owns that intellectual property.....tony or me? (I am only interested since I am an author and deal with permissions all the time. CAS, Tony? You know?)

Id say Tony, but with some Amex Miles and bluebird points you might be able to hack the ownership.

El_Chapo
08-15-2016, 06:36 PM
WONT BUY, WILL ACTIVELY PERSUADE PEOPLE NOT TO BUY.

its so D2.

tony
08-15-2016, 06:37 PM
Id say Tony, but with some Amex Miles and bluebird points you might be able to hack the ownership.

I'd hope not.

Not sure that I like Jeff not naming the site though... what's that about?

Oh well, that will bother me for the next 5 seconds, 4, 3, 2, 1... and I'm done.

StL Bison Fan
08-15-2016, 06:40 PM

Own it when it makes you look smart

THEsocalledfan
08-15-2016, 06:49 PM
Own it when it makes you look smart

Solid point. So good post, my property. Dumb post, Tony's property.

Man, Tony owns a lot of awfully dumb posts......

bisonmike2
08-15-2016, 06:57 PM
If Kolpack can just lift post from Bisonville, I wish he would have included a chapter of Lake-ism's. Pump It UP! Championship! We're going to be partying in the parking lot by halftime!

tony
08-15-2016, 06:59 PM
If Kolpack can just lift post from Bisonville, I wish he would have included a chapter of Lake-ism's. Pump It UP! Championship! We're going to be partying in the parking lot by halftime!

Should be a chapter on the Rain Forest... or the grassy area that used to be beyond that which I will always think of as the "Be Loud Glade.*"

* Read your Yeats, ya fecking illiterates.

Bisonator98
08-15-2016, 07:06 PM
How much does NDSU get from the sale of these books? I'm assuming NDSU gets something right? Did they get anything from his dads book?

THEsocalledfan
08-15-2016, 07:08 PM
How much does NDSU get from the sale of these books? I'm assuming NDSU gets something right? Did they get anything from his dads book?

I doubt they get anything. But, could be wrong. The intellectual property is almost all Jeff's and he probably paid Sampson and others a bit to use their stuff. If anyone has a legit argument for a cut, it would be FCC if they thought Jeff was lifting stuff he wrote for them.

bri-dog
08-16-2016, 12:36 AM
I'd hope not.

Not sure that I like Jeff not naming the site though... what's that about?

Should be a chapter on the Rain Forest... or the grassy area that used to be beyond that which I will always think of as the "Be Loud Glade.*"

* Read your Yeats, ya fecking illiterates.

Wossamotta U*? You just not looking forward to approving all those new users?

*Watch your Bullwinkle, ya fecking literate snob. :)

BisonNeil
08-16-2016, 02:45 AM

Since you technically posted it anonymously you own nothing. IP is anonymous and owned by the electrons that are in the wild world web.

No_Skill
08-16-2016, 03:05 AM
Since you technically posted it anonymously you own nothing. IP is anonymous and owned by the electrons that are in the wild world web.

Is it truly anonymous since he can prove that he posted it (prove it's his account), or does it only count that it was anonymous at the time of posting?

Not really a big deal, but it's interesting to me. For example: could anything written on this site be used to prosecute?

Bison bison
08-16-2016, 03:07 AM
Is it truly anonymous since he can prove that he posted it (prove it's his account), or does it only count that it was anonymous at the time of posting?

Not really a big deal, but it's interesting to me. For example: could anything written on this site be used to prosecute?

yes. youre underarrest for being a twat.

HerdBot
08-16-2016, 04:34 AM
I loved hearing Jeff's inside scoop on when Bohl left, The tension between Bohl/Klieman/Gene Taylor/Unnamed players/coaches/Media.. And even the courting of Kramer. Interesting hearing quotes before and after. It's a really good read. Totally glued to the book while reading that.

THEsocalledfan
08-16-2016, 01:34 PM
I loved hearing Jeff's inside scoop on when Bohl left, The tension between Bohl/Klieman/Gene Taylor/Unnamed players/coaches/Media.. And even the courting of Kramer. Interesting hearing quotes before and after. It's a really good read. Totally glued to the book while reading that.

Looking forward to that chapter; not there yet. The behind the scenes discussion of the 2008 and 2009 disaster years was fabulous; I know that sounds weird, but it really did a pretty good job of talking about what went wrong. It is really remarkable that Bohl recovered from that. (Yes, I do realize he should have prevented it too.....)

GOBISON123
08-19-2016, 11:58 PM
I am looking forward to that day when someone will make a movie based on this book.

reformedUNDfan
08-20-2016, 01:13 AM
I am looking forward to that day when someone will make a movie based on this book.

Espn 30 for 30?

HerdBot
08-20-2016, 01:47 AM

Espn 30 for 30?

Yeah I think that's a 30 for 30. Directed by Josh Duhamel for Hollywood flair

daddy daycare
08-20-2016, 02:12 AM
Amazing book. Loved early on when the JSU players were talking sh*t in the tunnel and it was pissing the bison players off.

The bohl chapter is fascinating. Something we could've assumed I guess. I'm sorry, I don't want to spoil anything but based on these accounts I have lost respect for him as how he treats human beings. BTW...long live Cole Jirik.

Christopher Moen
08-20-2016, 02:23 AM
Yeah I think that's a 30 for 30. Directed by Josh Duhamel for Hollywood flair

Scored by Fergie then?

natstar1
08-20-2016, 03:39 AM
Amazing book. Loved early on when the JSU players were talking sh*t in the tunnel and it was pissing the bison players off.

The bohl chapter is fascinating. Something we could've assumed I guess. I'm sorry, I don't want to spoil anything but based on these accounts I have lost respect for him as how he treats human beings. BTW...long live Cole Jirik.

Damn you, I don't even read books, but now I want to read it.

MAKBison
08-20-2016, 05:16 AM
Looking forward to that chapter; not there yet. The behind the scenes discussion of the 2008 and 2009 disaster years was fabulous; I know that sounds weird, but it really did a pretty good job of talking about what went wrong. It is really remarkable that Bohl recovered from that. (Yes, I do realize he should have prevented it too.....)

does he talk about the drinking?

daddy daycare
08-20-2016, 11:02 AM
does he talk about the drinking?

Amongst other things. But yes that is a great section of the book too.

daddy daycare
08-20-2016, 11:03 AM

I'm the same as you. Read this in less than a day.

BisoninNWMN
08-20-2016, 11:41 AM
Very good read.

Really enjoyed it.

Bison_Pride
08-20-2016, 12:23 PM
Good job Kolpack. I know you're gonna read this.

My only complaint? It should have been even longer!

EC8CH
08-20-2016, 12:46 PM
Good job Kolpack. I know you're gonna read this.

My only complaint? It should have been even longer!

He's said he may write a follow-up.

bri-dog
08-20-2016, 12:58 PM
He's said he may write a follow-up.

So he's going to have a whole series?

I always wondered what the "J.K." stood for in J.K. Rowling...

PlainsBison
08-20-2016, 02:50 PM
I think a chapter on the season ticket explosion would have been interesting. But regardless, an A+ book.

thebigund
08-20-2016, 02:55 PM

I remember posting something on here along the lines of Bohl being a greasy politician type and not a good guy and getting absolutly blasted since he was still the coach here. Nice to see that it wasn't just me.

NovaBison
08-20-2016, 05:48 PM
Nice article on the book by Craig Haley!

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/book-scores-going-inside-the-ndsu-dynasty-082016?cmpid=feed:-sports-CQ-RSS-Feed

A1pigskin
08-22-2016, 12:14 PM

Maybe there is an audio version.

BisonTeacher
08-22-2016, 12:36 PM

Me too. When is the documentary being made?

Mr Meaty
08-22-2016, 01:29 PM
Me too. When is the documentary being made?

I hear talk about a 30 for 30 special by ESPN.... light purple......

BISONBRI53
08-26-2016, 02:24 PM
Maybe been asked or discussed in other threads... What was the loyalty clause Bison Bobber wanted Rocky to sign?

THEsocalledfan
08-26-2016, 02:34 PM
Maybe been asked or discussed in other threads... What was the loyalty clause Bison Bobber wanted Rocky to sign?

Anytime they had a disagreement, Rocky was obliged to head to a public park with Bobber.

gumby013
08-26-2016, 02:34 PM
Charlie Skalaski IV ‏@CoachSkalaski 1h1 hour ago
It's a great day to be a Buc! Busses are loaded, candy bags distributed, wheels up to Fargo!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CqyeXRwUEAA7rOQ.jpg

bisonaudit
08-26-2016, 02:36 PM
It's a great day to be a Buc! Busses are loaded, candy bags distributed, wheels up to Fargo!

Their nutritionist could work for me.

StL Bison Fan
08-26-2016, 02:38 PM

that is nice! Reminds me of the days when my kid played football and the cheerleaders made signs and brought cupcakes! of course that was HS

tojo70
08-26-2016, 04:46 PM
Got my copy yesterday. The print on some of the pages is really light almost like the printer was running out of ink and it kind of comes and goes. Anyone else have one like that?

offroader613
08-26-2016, 04:50 PM
Got my copy yesterday. The print on some of the pages is really light almost like the printer was running out of ink and it kind of comes and goes. Anyone else have one like that?

Yep, that's how the copy I bought is. Thought maybe mine was just a blem.

THEsocalledfan
08-26-2016, 04:51 PM

If I ever get it finished, that was going in my review.

yopaulie
08-26-2016, 05:38 PM

Toner run low on Kolpack's home printer?

A1pigskin
08-26-2016, 05:44 PM
Will the book be available for sale at the dome before the game?

bisonaudit
08-26-2016, 05:44 PM
When is the e-book going to be available?

EC8CH
08-26-2016, 05:55 PM

Mine too...

Kingslayer
08-26-2016, 07:06 PM
I hear talk about a 30 for 30 special by ESPN.... light purple......
There will be a 30 for 30 no doubt. But not while our streak is still alive. Only after we lose

ndsubison1
08-27-2016, 08:47 AM

Same here.

ndsubison1
08-27-2016, 08:48 AM
When is the e-book going to be available?

2018. 10char

56BISON73
03-16-2017, 03:50 AM
Just finished it. Had some good information. Theres some repetitive stuff but over all it was a good read.

1993bison
03-19-2017, 04:49 PM
Started to read it. I don't like how he named names of donors and disclosed sales tactics even though it's probably obvious how the solicitation works.

unbison
03-19-2017, 09:40 PM
What percentage of sales go to bison athletics?

El_Chapo
03-20-2017, 01:19 PM
Started to read it. I don't like how he named names of donors and disclosed sales tactics even though it's probably obvious how the solicitation works.

like what? i refuse to buy it

THEsocalledfan
03-20-2017, 01:47 PM
What percentage of sales go to bison athletics?

Speaking as an author, he has no financial obligation to NDSU as they do not own Jeff's intellectual property that he gained through reporting on them for so many years. The royalties are the reward for busting your ass and writing the book. (In this case, it appears to me Jeff owns the book as he self-published so little different than me.) As much as they are hated, the more legit claim would be by the Forum as much of his material he obtained was done on their dime and have some claim to the intellectual property used. Not sure he had to give them a cut or not, but it would be hard to dispute if he did have to pay them a little since they clearly own most of his previously written work.

Now, should Jeff give a donation in good will? That is a completely different discussion, but I don't think he should feel obligated to, or be required to donate a percentage, etc.

El_Chapo
03-20-2017, 03:06 PM
Speaking as an author, he has no financial obligation to NDSU as they do not own Jeff's intellectual property that he gained through reporting on them for so many years. The royalties are the reward for busting your ass and writing the book. (In this case, it appears to me Jeff owns the book as he self-published so little different than me.) As much as they are hated, the more legit claim would be by the Forum as much of his material he obtained was done on their dime and have some claim to the intellectual property used. Not sure he had to give them a cut or not, but it would be hard to dispute if he did have to pay them a little since they clearly own most of his previously written work.

Now, should Jeff give a donation in good will? That is a completely different discussion, but I don't think he should feel obligated to, or be required to donate a percentage, etc.

Im sure its just racking up the numbers..

19.95 X 1,000 books sold = $19,950 ..... Publisher of book gets 50% Forum comm gets 25% jeff makes $5000 . whoopidty doo