PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Playoffs becoming less regionalized

Christopher Moen
08-03-2016, 02:15 AM
According to this article that includes quotes from Patty Viverito, there should be a better, more-true NCAA Division I Championship next year.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4086588-mvfc-commissioner-reiterates-fcs-playoffs-becoming-less-regional

bisonaudit
08-03-2016, 02:54 AM
According to this article that includes quotes from Patty Viverito, there should be a better, more-true NCAA Division I Championship next year.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4086588-mvfc-commissioner-reiterates-fcs-playoffs-becoming-less-regional

Doesn't seem like much. If there are 4 teams from the same conference in one half of the bracket they can add one flight in order to avoid. They're supposed to avoid rematches in round 1 as long as it doesn't add a flight. Lipstick on a pig.

ndsubison1
08-03-2016, 06:38 AM
Allegedly.

MrSnuffleupagus
08-03-2016, 12:49 PM
Yeah. We'll see.

FrozenTech
08-03-2016, 03:29 PM
First job. Win enough games to get to the playoffs. Second job. Worry about seeding. Last. We'll see if regionalization remains stupid.

Kingslayer
08-03-2016, 03:36 PM
I'll believe it when I see it

Bisonator98
08-03-2016, 05:06 PM
Yeah they had a chance to make significant changes and they punted. If 4 teams from a conference get in they could still be all placed on the same side of the bracket.:mad:

civilguy
08-03-2016, 07:35 PM
New meat is all I care! And who's playing for second.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gumby013
08-03-2016, 07:36 PM
6 MVFC teams will get in and they will put 5 of them on one side...just watch.

thebootfitter
08-03-2016, 07:58 PM
6 MVFC teams will get in and they will put 5 of them on one side...just watch.
As long as we're the ones on the other side... maybe that wouldn't be so bad??? (I'd still rather have more teams seeded or some other way to keep the brackets more balanced.)

Hammerhead
08-03-2016, 09:35 PM
With 10 autobids and 14 at-large teams, it would be nice to have no more than three teams from one conference on the same side of the bracket. I doubt any conference will ever get 7 teams in.

Bison Bridge Guy
08-03-2016, 09:51 PM
With 10 autobids and 14 at-large teams, it would be nice to have no more than three teams from one conference on the same side of the bracket. I doubt any conference will ever get 7 teams in.

That's exactly what was stated in article, not?: "...to avoid placing four or more teams from one conference in the same side of the bracket."

Bisonwinagn
08-03-2016, 09:52 PM
They only thing they have to do is avoid conference matchups in the 1st and 2nd round and everything is solved. The NFL always used to do this with wildcard teams so it's not a difficult concept. Adding one flight will change basically nothing.

bisonaudit
08-25-2016, 06:01 PM
I've been looking at this a little bit and I think it may help more than I initially though. It's still no substitute for a truly national tournament and more sensible seeding but it's not nothing.

For example: Last year they could have 1) switched UNI/E Ill with UNH/Colgate with out adding a flight. Down to 4 MVFC in the bottom half 2) They could have avoided the UNH/Colgate non-conference rematch without adding a flight by switching Colgate and Fordham. 3) They could have moved SDSU out for Colgate which would have added 1 flight but gotten to the goal of no more than 3 from a conference per side.

So it could solve the problems that they actually identified, which is a start. Of course if they'd have gotten the seeding right they wouldn't have had 5 MVFC teams in the same half to begin with.