PDA

View Full Version : Kolpack and Izzo can't like this

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

bison_by_blood
07-30-2016, 03:13 AM
http://www.inforum.com/sports/4084466-ndsu-limits-some-media-access-bison-athletics

This seems targeted specifically at everything they do on the Bison Media Blog. Personally, I think this is wrong on multiple levels. How and why would you restrict press on a city owned facility? Dom and Jeff have done far more to cover this program than anyone the last few years (BISONVILLE excluded). I get media contracts and all but I don't see how additional FREE coverage cuts into their revenue in any way.

North Side
07-30-2016, 03:15 AM
yea... worst part is NDSU is forcing people to watch the crap pre game KVLY produces... Kolpack and Izzo DESTROY KVLY

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 03:17 AM
http://www.inforum.com/sports/4084466-ndsu-limits-some-media-access-bison-athletics

This seems targeted specifically at everything they do on the Bison Media Blog. Personally, I think this is wrong on multiple levels. How and why would you restrict press on a city owned facility? Dom and Jeff have done far more to cover this program than anyone the last few years (BISONVILLE excluded). I get media contracts and all but I don't see how additional FREE coverage cuts into their revenue in any way.

How do we know that all the media changes will not include these types of programming? Gotta take a wait and see approach. Of course, it could have something to do with offers. Maybe Dom and Jeff are killing it with exposure and losing this will cause higher bids next time around.

Bisonwinagn
07-30-2016, 03:26 AM
Does anyone know how much money NDSU is getting paid for the broadcast rights?

southpaw
07-30-2016, 03:27 AM
I'm a UND fan but this is a horrible idea by NDSU. I appreciated the BMB info as I like to know how the Bison are doing (and hoping they lose :) )

NDSU football is big in Fargo and even ND but never so big this statement is true

"We've grown so much that we need to protect our brand."

Please let me know when Alabama, Notre Dame and any other school has too big of a brand to allow decent pre, in and post game content.

southpaw
07-30-2016, 03:29 AM
400k per year for football from KVLY. Hopefully for your fans sake they up their out-of-game coverage.

norm4life
07-30-2016, 03:37 AM
So, I guess if ESPN wanted to do another "Sportscenter on the Road" from the Fargodome... "It would probably be denied."

DjKyRo
07-30-2016, 03:42 AM
Dude this is super lame. I get that the NDSU brand is growing and with that comes some tough decisions but effectively boxing out Kolpack and Izzo (and I'm sure others) who have been with the dynasty since Day Zero is a hugely bush league move.

bison_by_blood
07-30-2016, 03:45 AM
I'm no lawyer, but how do this work legally? Since the City owns the Dome, can NDSU restrict media access like that on public grounds? Also if you "won't be allowed to do live play by play blogging of the game" is a Bisonville GD thread really that much different than the Media Blog thread? This stinks.

DBRJake
07-30-2016, 03:45 AM
400k per year for football from KVLY. Hopefully for your fans sake they up their out-of-game coverage.

Hope not, halftime is when I grill more. Better to watch that than the dumpster fire NBC puts on at half.
But seriously, this sucks. Muted TV + radio broadcast + live blog is a fun way to watch Bison football when you can't be there in person.

Bisonator98
07-30-2016, 03:46 AM
Pretty sure they can't stop a pre-game show from being held in the FFD since it's city owned property. What does their lease agreement state about this? Does NDSU get to fully control the facility on gameday?

aces1180
07-30-2016, 03:47 AM
Hope not, halftime is when I grill more. Better to watch that than the dumpster fire NBC puts on at half.
But seriously, this sucks. Muted TV + radio broadcast + live blog is a fun way to watch Bison football when you can't be there in person.

I'm worried about radio...it's hard to replace a legend.

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 03:49 AM
Pretty sure they can't stop a pre-game show from being held in the FFD since it's city owned property. What does their lease agreement state about this? Does NDSU get to fully control the facility on gameday?

I thought NDSU owned the property and the city owned the dome? Even if that is not true (ownership), I am pretty sure NDSU can prevent them from doing shows from the lot.

DBRJake
07-30-2016, 03:52 AM
I'm worried about radio...it's hard to replace a legend.

Impossible to replace, just gotta hope the new guy carries the torch

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 03:53 AM
I'm no lawyer, but how do this work legally? Since the City owns the Dome, can NDSU restrict media access like that on public grounds? Also if you "won't be allowed to do live play by play blogging of the game" is a Bisonville GD thread really that much different than the Media Blog thread? This stinks.

Well you gotta remember who put out the article. I am sure it is slanted to cause as much uproar as possible. But, BV might have to get written permission....comes with managing this type of media!

56BISON73
07-30-2016, 04:00 AM
I dont know how media contacts work. But this just does seem right. To deny media who dont have contracts with NDSU from interviewing players and coaches will just give the school less exposure. Not a good move IMO.

bison_by_blood
07-30-2016, 04:03 AM
That article isn't slanted at all. Just states the facts. And I was half joking about them restricting BV, but who knows. Never thought they would essentially black ball NDSU's biggest media supporters either...

ndsubison1
07-30-2016, 04:06 AM
I'm a UND fan but this is a horrible idea by NDSU. I appreciated the BMB info as I like to know how the Bison are doing (and hoping they lose :) )

NDSU football is big in Fargo and even ND but never so big this statement is true

"We've grown so much that we need to protect our brand."

Please let me know when Alabama, Notre Dame and any other school has too big of a brand to allow decent pre, in and post game content.

UND fan thinks it's a horrible idea. Therefore I think it's a great idea.

Bisonator98
07-30-2016, 04:08 AM
How can they stop some one from blogging? That's not even possible is it?

Where's our legal expert???? CAS!

ndsubison1
07-30-2016, 04:09 AM

I would assume NDSU has control during games, just like practice.

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 04:18 AM
How can they stop some one from blogging? That's not even possible is it?

Where's our legal expert???? CAS!

My legal expert is my lawyer...weird question! My personal take is it depends on the content of ones blog. If you or your users are giving a play by play and you dont have permission you might be in violation. I did do a quick google...this was interesting

onbison09
07-30-2016, 04:20 AM
So basically our choices are KVLY or the radio pre game show which are all fluff? No thanks.

EC8CH
07-30-2016, 04:21 AM
I seem to remember a legal blurp during every NFL game that mentions "or written descriptions" are prohibited.

EC8CH
07-30-2016, 04:22 AM
Im writing to Jorgenson and telling him this sucks.

onbison09
07-30-2016, 04:22 AM
God, I forgot about Beth Hoole. I really hope they can continue stuff on the blog as much as possible.

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 04:24 AM
oppps https://www.quora.com/Is-it-legal-to-live-stream-my-own-audio-broadcast-of-a-sports-event

Twentysix
07-30-2016, 04:27 AM
So, I guess if ESPN wanted to do another "Sportscenter on the Road" from the Fargodome... "It would probably be denied."

Ive got a hunch it wont actually keep espn away. Doesn't espn broadcast all of NDSUs football games anyway? Espn3.com...

Bisonator98
07-30-2016, 04:30 AM
NDSU is definitely going to get some push back on this one.

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 04:32 AM

interesting as well.......https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20060628/0156200.shtml

southpaw
07-30-2016, 04:34 AM
UND fan thinks it's a horrible idea. Therefore I think it's a great idea.

I have friends and family who are NDSU fans and more importantly, I am very familiar with media contracts with college athletics. This is very rare and will restrict the access to NDSU info, especially by Dom and Kolpack. I feel bad for them and the NDSU fans. No school should restrict the access, especially to two of the biggest suppliers of NDSU info.

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 04:35 AM
I have friends and family who are NDSU fans and more importantly, I am very familiar with media contracts with college athletics. This is very rare and will restrict the access to NDSU info, especially by Dom and Kolpack. I feel bad for them and the NDSU fans. No school should restrict the access, especially to two of the biggest suppliers of NDSU info.

Just read string of blogs suggesting this is happening all over. Seems to me there may be a reason behind it.

bison_by_blood
07-30-2016, 04:42 AM

I hope so! Not usually one to get fired up about off field stuff, but this reeks of bureaucratic bullshit. At the least can someone explain how this helps NDSU? "Most schools are doing this" doesn't work for BISON fans.

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 04:43 AM
I hope so! Not usually one to get fired up about off field stuff, but this reeks of bureaucratic bullshit. At the least can someone explain how this helps NDSU? "Most schools are doing this" doesn't work for BISON fans.

it makes media companies step up and pay for access

southpaw
07-30-2016, 04:43 AM
Just read string of blogs suggesting this is happening all over. Seems to me there may be a reason behind it.

$400,000 per year is the reason behind it. I get it that there are no similar schools in the region to compare. You could maybe say UND hockey but I'm sure there will be disagreement on that.

Since I live in Colorado, I can look at Air Force, CSU and CU media contracts. None of them limit access by media who don't have the TV or radio contracts. I'd like to think the brand of those three schools haven't "gotten too big" like Jorgenson claims NDSU has achieved.

Bisonator98
07-30-2016, 04:46 AM
I would think NDSU deserves a hell of a lot more then $400k to limit access to this extreme. They sold out for cheap if that's all their getting.

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 04:48 AM
$400,000 per year is the reason behind it. I get it that there are no similar schools in the region to compare. You could maybe say UND hockey but I'm sure there will be disagreement on that.

Since I live in Colorado, I can look at Air Force, CSU and CU media contracts. None of them limit access by media who don't have the TV or radio contracts. I'd like to think the brand of those three schools haven't "gotten too big" like Jorgenson claims NDSU has achieved.

I agree $$$$ is behind it. The bet being played is NDSU can put its weight up against the media's by forcing them to pay for access. Its now foolums move. If there are smart the pay to play. They can now also force quality on these type of shows....Who knows this might actually help out Jeff and Dom!

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 04:53 AM
I would think NDSU deserves a hell of a lot more then $400k to limit access to this extreme. They sold out for cheap if that's all their getting.

You do realize this might help Jeff and Dom as well dont you?

EC8CH
07-30-2016, 04:55 AM

Judging by Kolpack retweets I doubt he think he's being helped by this.

Bisonator98
07-30-2016, 05:00 AM

I don't see how. The media rights are already spoken for at least 3 years.

bisonpride4ever
07-30-2016, 05:03 AM
As someone who doesn't live in the KVLY viewing area and resorted to watching on the Treś, I would never get the KVLY pregame craptacular so I would watch Dom and Jeff instead. This sucks.

Sent using a Speak N Spell and an Etch a Sketch

IBleedYellow
07-30-2016, 05:05 AM
I agree with Djk. Busch League move.

Two steps forward three steps back.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

norm4life
07-30-2016, 05:08 AM
Not only does this policy look bad, but then they release it on a Friday night? Trying to sweep it under the rug? Looks bad. It looks like the responses from the Forum guys is that this a bombshell being dropped on them. Couldn't they have talked to the Forum beforehand, or let them know ahead of time (like when the media contract bidding was happening)?

bison_by_blood
07-30-2016, 05:10 AM
it makes media companies step up and pay for access

They have the same access, but they are just paying for exclusivity. We are getting a paycheck, but if anything this hurts the brand.

SC_TX
07-30-2016, 05:15 AM
McFeely going off

EC8CH
07-30-2016, 05:18 AM
https://i.imgflip.com/186kbb.jpg

IBleedYellow
Twitter is hilarious. Glad to see fans agree this is bullshit.

Farmer63
Dear NDSU,

C'Mon. Dom and Jeff have done great service to promoting not only NDSU football, but all of NDSU athletics for years. And this is how you repay them? By caving in to some pressure from KVLY? If KVLY wasn't doing such a horseshit job of their pregame and halftime shows, then maybe people would watch instead of looking for Izzo and Kolpack. The correct response to KVLY's whining would have been to tell them to learn to compete, not try and wound their competition. Rethink this please. You are making a mistake.

EC8CH
07-30-2016, 05:27 AM
Jeremy.Jorgenson.1@ndsu.edu

I am concerned about the new media rules that restrict access to members of the media from outlets without broadcasting rights. Dom Izzo and Jeff Kolpack do a tremendous job covering Bison Athletics. Their blog and pre/post game shows are entertaining, informative, and do a wonderful job showcasing Bison Athletics. To be blunt, KLVYs pregame show is complete fluff and totally unwatchable.

I will be very sad if these new rules result in the loss of the very best coverage we Bison fans currently enjoy and shut out a member of the media who's family has a long and storied history covering the Bison. That just doesn't feel like the Bison way to me.

Thank you for listening to my concerns.

bison_by_blood
07-30-2016, 05:28 AM
Twitter is hilarious. Glad to see fans agree this is bullshit.

Yes indeed, but I hope people take this seriously and can enact some change. This feels like shitting on the fan base to (maybe) make a couple extra dollars. It doesn't feel right.

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 05:31 AM
I don't see how. The media rights are already spoken for at least 3 years.

Well first off Jeff and dom may very well get permission to continue. It may cost them or it may not. Ndsu could say you can keep broadcasting but you must maintain a certain standard thus forcing there company to actually give Jeff an dom a budget.....which we know from Jeff and dom they do not. Finally it allows ndsu to restrict others from doing the same thing.....sure Jeff and dom are good but prior to this any dumb ass could do the same thing .....it could be horrible. Now everyone needs permission.

Bisonwinagn
07-30-2016, 05:31 AM

Big ten teams get $32M per year and could be much higher going forward. NDSU needs to be well into the millions before they start cutting coverage.

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 05:34 AM
Well first off Jeff and dom may very well get permission to continue. It may cost them or it may not. Ndsu could say you can keep broadcasting but you must maintain a certain standard thus forcing there company to actually give Jeff an dom a budget.....which we know from Jeff and dom they do not. Finally it allows ndsu to restrict others from doing the same thing.....sure Jeff and dom are good but prior to this any dumb ass could do the same thing .....it could be horrible. Now everyone needs permission.

Th3 k state mask man comes to mind....can you imagine him broadcasting a pre game show live from the dome

EC8CH
07-30-2016, 05:35 AM
Ndsu could say you can keep broadcasting but you must maintain a certain standard

Yeah, like the high standard KVLY has been held to.

*They don't make a purple deep enough for that one

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 05:37 AM
I don't disagree they sucked. But we have a contract to control them. Prior to this we had nothing to insure say lakes did't do a show...sorry lakes said for effect. Nothing personal

Bisonator98
07-30-2016, 05:38 AM

If you think the idiots in charge of Forum Communications are going to react well to strong arm tactics your more clueless then JJ. They let KVLY out bid them remember?

southpaw
07-30-2016, 05:42 AM
I don't disagree they sucked. But we have a contract to control them. Prior to this we had nothing to insure say lakes did't do a show

Which is worse... Dom and Kolpack doing their own show plus Lakes doing his own show. Or nobody getting to do anything?

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 05:42 AM
If you think the idiots in charge of Forum Communications are going to react well to strong arm tactics your more clueless then JJ. They let KVLY out bid them remember?

It really depends on how we use the arm......it does not have to be so strong but knowing you have leverage is nice. Those going all nuts are diminishing this leverage before they even know how we intend to use it

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 05:44 AM
Which is worse... Dom and Kolpack doing their own show plus Lakes doing his own show. Or nobody getting to do anything?

But You don't know those are the only alternatives. Maybe the herd 1660 is going to be doing these things.

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 05:47 AM
I do know this I'll stand by ndsu before I stand by the foolUM.

EC8CH
07-30-2016, 05:49 AM

Answer: Lee Timmerman

He's always the absolute worst.

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 05:51 AM

Why would they need to outbid kvly when they get all the free access. Cow milk free

HerdBot
07-30-2016, 05:53 AM
I get that they want to protect the brand and horde content to 1660, but this seems a bit over the top. Life blogging? Really? Can't do a show like Fargo to Frisco? I say if we do this, NDSU better put together some real kick ass content.

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 05:56 AM
I get that they want to protect the brand and horde content to 1660, but this seems a bit over the top. Life blogging? Really? Can't do a show like Fargo to Frisco? I say if we do this, NDSU better put together some real kick ass content.

I don't think I am disagreeing with that notion. Just given the school the benefit of the doubt versus going nuts and empowering the foolUM

I know where the foolUM priorities lie and its not with ndsu. It just sucks Jeff and dom work for them

onbison09
07-30-2016, 05:56 AM
I agree $$$$ is behind it. The bet being played is NDSU can put its weight up against the media's by forcing them to pay for access. Its now foolums move. If there are smart the pay to play. They can now also force quality on these type of shows....Who knows this might actually help out Jeff and Dom!
They should start with their own shows and game production which are complete ass. I will watch the games because I want to watch them, but I won't watch or listen to anything else.

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 06:00 AM
They should start with their own shows and game production which are complete ass. I will watch the games because I want to watch them, but I won't watch or listen to anything else.

I seems to me that the media folks decided this id the year for a big push......me thinks they are planning big bold moves. So far I like what I see

SC_TX
07-30-2016, 06:01 AM
I don't think I am disagreeing with that notion. Just given the school the benefit of the doubt versus going nuts and empowering the foolUM

I know where the foolUM priorities lie and its not with ndsu. It just sucks Jeff and dom work for them

they are now hoping NDSU crashes and burns

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 06:02 AM
they are now hoping NDSU crashes and burns

And if we don't we are rid of the foolUM

onbison09
07-30-2016, 06:06 AM
Classic case of getting too big for your britches. And now we'll get worse coverage (you can't honestly tell me it will be better than Jeff and Dom) and also basically propaganda (i.e. not calling out the team or players when needed). To quote a famous tweeter, SAD!

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 06:10 AM
Classic case of getting too big for your britches. And now we'll get worse coverage (you can't honestly tell me it will be better than Jeff and Dom) and also basically propaganda (i.e. not calling out the team or players when needed). To quote a famous tweeter, SAD!

And now your quoting mcmike....wow! This is nutz

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 06:22 AM
So does anyone know what 30% of all advertising might bring into the coffers? What kind of $$$$ are we talking about?

HerdBot
07-30-2016, 06:26 AM

Yeah the KVLY pre game show is as worthless as tits on a bull. Just bush league garbage. Unwatchable. However Dom and Jeffs pregame show completely destroys it. Super lame when they'll have to do a pretty game show from the other side of 19th Avenue. They won't be able to stop them though. You can't control what they talk about. Fans will go to them.

Jelo
07-30-2016, 06:46 AM
I live out of the region and enjoy the content they provide. I thought the NDSU motto was bring on the competition? With the media contract, Jorgenson should have forced the partner to provide better content. This just seems like an admission of failure. If you don't think you can compete even with the advantages they have, then He should be reeevaluating who he awards contracts to. This is a fail on so many levels. Can't say how pissed they makes me. Quite honestly it will probably lead to me following the team less than I did before - which is not a good thing.
Quite honestly, Jorgenson needs to reevaluate this or he needs to be replaced. Total error in judgement. What the hell is he afraid of?

Professor Chaos
07-30-2016, 06:47 AM
Fucking pitiful... good thing the Bison don't have the same mentality as their broadcast team or they'd be in the non-scholly Pioneer League. Jeff and Dom deserve better...

Gully
07-30-2016, 06:50 AM
I think this is very short sited and reflects poorly on Matt L. and and Dean B. Given the recent climate, it's incredibly tone deaf. I will now have to agree that Dean needs to go. How stupid. Take a steamrolling situation and piss a ton of people off. I don't think Matt was a good choice. I'll always support my university, but I am far less enthusiastic than I was yesterday, particularly in terms of how I feel about Matt L. and Dean B.

bison_by_blood
07-30-2016, 07:09 AM
I think this is very short sited and reflects poorly on Matt L. and and Dean B. Given the recent climate, it's incredibly tone deaf. I will now have to agree that Dean needs to go. How stupid. Take a steamrolling situation and piss a ton of people off. I don't think Matt was a good choice. I'll always support my university, but I am far less enthusiastic than I was yesterday, particularly in terms of how I feel about Matt L. and Dean B.

You are gonna put the blame on those guys instead of Jorgenson? Sounds like an agenda rather than looking at reality

Gully
07-30-2016, 07:12 AM
You are gonna put the blame on those guys instead of Jorgenson? Sounds like an agenda rather than looking at reality

An agenda? What agenda? I have been a supporter of DB. JJ reports to Matt, does he not? You can't tell me this decision didn't go all the way to the top. Get your head out of the sand.

NDSUBowler
07-30-2016, 07:16 AM
Man...I feel like we just got McFeely on NDSU's side! NDSU needs folks in the media willing to say the 'controversial' things when NDSU is being wronged.

Gully
07-30-2016, 07:24 AM
Is this finally the beginning of the end? The good times were bound to end sooner or later, I just didn't think it would be self induced by "leadership"

NDSUBowler
07-30-2016, 07:32 AM
While I want NDSU to thrive and I want the new station to be a success, a part of me wants to boycott anything to do with NDSU media until they rectify this situation.

They shouldn't feel threatened by other media. Instead, they should learn to work together to continue growing the NDSU brand.

bison_by_blood
07-30-2016, 08:00 AM
An agenda? What agenda? I have been a supporter of DB. JJ reports to Matt, does he not? You can't tell me this decision didn't go all the way to the top. Get your head out of the sand.

Well you did call for DB to be fired. That's kinda sounds like an agenda. ML would be in a tough spot if he didn't at least ok JJ on this. Can't blame him for not micro managing a longtime employee.

NorthernBison
07-30-2016, 09:47 AM
Well you did call for DB to be fired. That's kinda sounds like an agenda. ML would be in a tough spot if he didn't at least ok JJ on this. Can't blame him for not micro managing a longtime employee.

I don't think you understand the term micro managing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SamsRams
07-30-2016, 10:16 AM
You want big time football until it becomes big time football.

Lets break down the points of restrictions

"Won't be allowed to show extended game highlights on special TV programs."
Holy smokes I cant believe they have allowed this to go on for long as it has. This is a no brainer for NDSU to do. If you dont restrict it, then you are saying any person can start a highlight show.

"Won't be allowed to broadcast or stream online live, regularly scheduled press conferences."
Well duh. Log onto ndsuathletics or KVLY or 1660 and watch the presser. Nothing different other than the angle.

"Won't be allowed to host radio shows, pregame or postgame coverage from NDSU facilities or grounds, including the Fargodome and its parking lot, on game days."
Again, I cant believe they got away with this for so long. Your company didnt believe in NDSU enough to make a real bid so you dont get the same access. Find a sponsor and do it from some business on gameday if the product is so desired

"Won't be allowed to do live play-by-play blogging of games."
So tweet it out 15 seconds after and its not live and stick with the big moments in the game not every play. Let the NDSU feeds handle the play by play.

"Won't be allowed to do one-on-one interviews with the head football or basketball coaches on radio, TV or internet in season without the written consent of NDSU. Media outlets must request all interviews with these coaches and all players 24 hours in advance."

Good, I dont need coaches giving anyone and their mom interviews during the season. If a national outlet wants to talk to a HC then so be it.

I just dont get all the uproar. Imagine if Rob Port from Minot who has a DUI conviction decided he wanted to do a pregame from the Fargodome lot and wanted to interview Klieman before the game and get a press pass and live blog the game. If you want to prevent that type of scenario you have to protect your brand with rules and regulations like these

bison_by_blood
07-30-2016, 10:49 AM

Holy smokes I cant believe they have allowed this to go on for long as it has. This is a no brainer for NDSU to do. If you dont restrict it, then you are saying any person can start a highlight show.

"Won't be allowed to broadcast or stream online live, regularly scheduled press conferences."
Well duh. Log onto ndsuathletics or KVLY or 1660 and watch the presser. Nothing different other than the angle.

"Won't be allowed to host radio shows, pregame or postgame coverage from NDSU facilities or grounds, including the Fargodome and its parking lot, on game days."
Again, I cant believe they got away with this for so long. Your company didnt believe in NDSU enough to make a real bid so you dont get the same access. Find a sponsor and do it from some business on gameday if the product is so desired

So tweet it out 15 seconds after and its not live and stick with the big moments in the game not every play. Let the NDSU feeds handle the play by play.

"Won't be allowed to do one-on-one interviews with the head football or basketball coaches on radio, TV or internet in season without the written consent of NDSU. Media outlets must request all interviews with these coaches and all players 24 hours in advance."

Good, I dont need coaches giving anyone and their mom interviews during the season. If a national outlet wants to talk to a HC then so be it.

I just dont get all the uproar. Imagine if Rob Port from Minot who has a DUI conviction decided he wanted to do a pregame from the Fargodome lot and wanted to interview Klieman before the game and get a press pass and live blog the game. If you want to prevent that type of scenario you have to protect your brand with rules and regulations like these

Wow Sams, I respect you but I don't follow this logic. Get away with broadcasting from the Dome lot. As if it's not owned by the city? Giving anyone and their mom an interview. As if Kolpack and Izzo were just two nobodies? Wtf do Rob Port and a DUI have to do with anything? A: Any media should be welcome to the Fargodme lot. B:CK can accept or decline to do any interview he wants. C and D: Any credentialed media should be able to cover Bison football as they see fit. Don't confuse protecting the brand with second hand censorship.

scbison91
07-30-2016, 10:52 AM
If you think the idiots in charge of Forum Communications are going to react well to strong arm tactics your more clueless then JJ. They let KVLY out bid them remember? That is really the issue. Forum not ponying up money on contract... I bet next contract that is up they will..

td577
07-30-2016, 11:38 AM
I am really not sure what the big uproar is about. I agree Kolpack and Izzo do a great job covering Bison athletics, but that isn't the issue here. NDSU entered a contract with TV and Radio mediums to deliver content. KVLY and 1600 paid very good money to be exclusive providers of Bison content. Regardless if the consumer is happy with the output doesn't matter. This is a case where the competition was in getting the contract, not who can present content better. Especially when there is an entity who paid for the exclusive rights to it. If the roles were reversed and Forum Communications had secured the contracts, they would be demanding protection. The internet is simply another medium content providers have to respect as being a legitimate alternative.

In these cases, I have to think protecting the brand is synonymous with protecting the contracts. How can you have any leverage the next time bidding happens when there is no protection from alternative sources. Why bid at all? If there is no barrier to content, an alternative can invest in nothing but content presentation and reap the benefits of advertising and poaching content consumers. This is just a clear expression the content is owned and protected. If you want exclusive access to it, you should have been more aggressive during the bidding process. Kolpack and Izzo may not like it, but they have to understand it. The next step is to hold those with a contract accountable when they fail to deliver content in a quality manner. You have exclusive rights, we are going to help protect those exclusive rights, so we aren't afraid to discuss how the contract works in both directions if we aren't happy about content delivery.

scottietohottie
07-30-2016, 11:43 AM
Oh great this means Kolpack and Izzo are going to take up half of labbys every Saturday. Less tables! Where the hell is my pitch fork?

NorthernBison
07-30-2016, 12:42 PM
That is really the issue. Forum not ponying up money on contract... I bet next contract that is up they will..

My first comment was that it will be interesting to see how Forum Comm reacts.

The contract is for three years. A LOT can happen in that time.

The initial reactions from the people there who, incidentally, are in NDSU's corner on most issues, is negative. I see that as a potential problem long term. I guess we will see.

Civil06
07-30-2016, 12:42 PM
Does this site have a live streaming function? I'm pretty sure any 5 random posters that tailgate could get together in the parking lot and put together a better pre-game show than KVLY, and a halftime show with much less soybean trivia. I'd pay to watch Jeremy Jorgenson tell SDBison he can't give his opinion. :)

Wally
07-30-2016, 12:51 PM
Be careful what you wish for. That is all I am going to say about this nonsense.

Bison 4 Life
07-30-2016, 01:08 PM
What's the uproar? We like Kolpack and Izzo.

KVLY and valley news live is shit. shit shit shit. They don't make a good product.

We can like who we want to like. NDSU might be "big time" but they still need us.

scottietohottie
07-30-2016, 01:12 PM
What's the uproar? We like Kolpack and Izzo.

Bisonville likes them so much that they can't even get their names right.

Lmao i even had to go back and edit my post. People are so upset about Dom and Izzo! Just look at the name of the thread!

But for the record Chris Berg, Lee Timmerman, and the pregame/halftime show suck.

BisonNation11
07-30-2016, 01:28 PM
So since I'm not a media member and I don't get paid to be one, can I start my own pregame and postgame shows from tailgating, bring in Dom and Jeff to be my guest speakers every time for a vast majority of each show, and use their equipment to shoot and broadcast the shows? Because I'd totally be willing if there is a legal loophole here. I'm sure Bisonville and other Bison supporters could pool some money together to pay for the use of the equipment and a website to broadcast the show to. CAS, where you at???

EC8CH
07-30-2016, 01:31 PM
Imagine if Rob Port from Minot who has a DUI conviction decided he wanted to do a pregame from the Fargodome lot

Go ahead and let him. I'd ignore his crap just like I ignore the KLVY crap.

ByeSonBusiness
07-30-2016, 01:43 PM
Go ahead and let him. I'd ignore his crap just like I ignore the KLVY crap.

I'm very unfamiliar with how the deals work, but it feels like NDSU thinks they are more big time than they really are.

Tony Almeida
07-30-2016, 01:48 PM
So since I'm not a media member and I don't get paid to be one, can I start my own pregame and postgame shows from tailgating, bring in Dom and Jeff to be my guest speakers every time for a vast majority of each show, and use their equipment to shoot and broadcast the shows? Because I'd totally be willing if there is a legal loophole here. I'm sure Bisonville and other Bison supporters could pool some money together to pay for the use of the equipment and a website to broadcast the show to. CAS, where you at???
Again NO. Again this is what it says...

"Won't be allowed to host radio shows, pregame or postgame coverage from NDSU facilities or grounds, including the Fargodome and it's parking lots on game days."
When asked if non-rights media outlets would be granted permission...Jorgy said "It probably will be denied"

Don't need CAS to read...

BisonAccountant44
07-30-2016, 01:53 PM
The more I think about it, the more I agree with Sam. It sucks that Jeff and Dom are the most impacted by this, but there are ways for them to get around it that will allow them to do almost everything they do today, they may have to tweak the way they do it, but they can get it done.

Bison"FANatic"
07-30-2016, 01:55 PM
I can understand limiting and controlling the product but I really hope NDSU remembers where they came from though and works something out with Jeff and Dom. They were there reporting on the Bison and upping their own game with no one pushing them. Heck from what I have been told they did it with a crap budget from their own employers. Remember those that got you to where you are and these two are a big part of that. It seems like the North Dakota way to reward that, cutting them out seems like the New York way and that isn't what we want out here if you take the uproar on this board into account. The uproar isn't about all media being cut out it is about Dom And Jeff!

El_Chapo
07-30-2016, 01:55 PM
Jeremy.Jorgenson.1@ndsu.edu

I am concerned about the new media rules that restrict access to members of the media from outlets without broadcasting rights. Dom Izzo and Jeff Kolpack do a tremendous job covering Bison Athletics. Their blog and pre/post game shows are entertaining, informative, and do a wonderful job showcasing Bison Athletics. To be blunt, KLVYs pregame show is complete fluff and totally unwatchable.

I will be very sad if these new rules result in the loss of the very best coverage we Bison fans currently enjoy and shut out a member of the media who's family has a long and storied history covering the Bison. That just doesn't feel like the Bison way to me.

Thank you for listening to my concerns.

YOU PEOPLE ARE RIDICULOUS. SO WHAT THE FORUM DOES THIER PREGAME SHOW FROM BWWS LABBYS. BIG DEAL!

this is a smart decision, you want NDSU step up and pay. The local tv will still show highlights. They can still have call in shows with dom or hall storm or KFGO

You people are overreacting

tony
07-30-2016, 01:56 PM
I'm very unfamiliar with how the deals work, but it feels like NDSU thinks they are more big time than they really are.

Don't get me wrong because this deal made me sick, but saying it wasn't fair is childish. WDAY and KFGO had a chance to bid on TV and radio rights and they low-balled, perhaps thinking that, "Hey, we can still do pregame from the tailgate lot without spending a dime." 1660 is going to need some exclusive content because without it, they will fail.

If WDAY is on their toes, they've already secured a pre-game broadcast spot from BWW. But that's a big If. Media in North Dakota seems to always be five years behind reality (or in the case of the Bismarck Tribune, 20 years.)

However, NDSU and KVLY better decide what to do about those Philly radio guys who are driving up to Fargo for a game immediately because it would be a debacle if they show up and are kicked out of the tailgating lot. They better be welcomed with open arms; after all, out-of-state broadcasters aren't competing with NDSU's media partners one
bit.

On the brighter side, if NDSU plays the postseason, Jeff and Dom will be able to be in the tailgate lot if they want because I don't think NDSU/KVLY own rights to that.

Edit: I just read SamsRams post in which he says pretty much what I was thinking - although I can't stress enough on how much better Dom and Jeff do covering the Bison than anybody else.

El_Chapo
07-30-2016, 01:58 PM

Holy crap I agree with this person. Small town NDSU rubes need to wake up, maybe the Fargo forum, mercils and the other U D GRADS IN MANAGEMENT took a few too many potshots at NDSU over the years and it's come home to roost.

As far as wday and direct tv. Call 1800 direct tv ask for EAST COAST ABC FEED and voila..they'll give it to you free

EC8CH
07-30-2016, 01:58 PM
Dom and Jeff just feel like "one of us". And they also just happen to produce the best coverage in the entire FCS.

BisonNation11
07-30-2016, 01:59 PM
Again NO. Again this is what it says...

"Won't be allowed to host radio shows, pregame or postgame coverage from NDSU facilities or grounds, including the Fargodome and it's parking lots on game days."
When asked if non-rights media outlets would be granted permission...Jorgy said "It probably will be denied"

Don't need CAS to read...

You can read the sentence before the list of restrictions. It says...

With the new guidelines, media outlets without NDSU broadcast rights agreements:

I'm not a media outlet. I'm a guy, that if the plan worked, who has friends with expensive camera equipment. I'm also not asking permission. I'd be "capturing my tailgating moment" and if people want to watch, so be it. And if I happen to talk about Bison football, so be it. It's my 1st Amendment right.

I can read just fine. Thank you. What I'm trying to REALLY read is the words not being said. There's loopholes to almost anything.

bisonaudit
07-30-2016, 02:05 PM
This is a chainsaw Dan Schneider type move. The counter move is to rebrand your pre game show as "unauthorized" and keep kicking the in house production's ass.

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 02:08 PM
While I want NDSU to thrive and I want the new station to be a success, a part of me wants to boycott anything to do with NDSU media until they rectify this situation.

They shouldn't feel threatened by other media. Instead, they should learn to work together to continue growing the NDSU brand.

I like how this is all about dom and Jeff, but if the shoe was on the other foot none of you would care.

It's not personal, but many of personalized it. Yeah it sucks dom and jeff work for such a cheap outfitt. But it what it is. WDAY and foolUM screwed Jeff and Dom by not stepping up.to the plate.

NorthernBison
07-30-2016, 02:11 PM
Don't get me wrong because this deal made me sick, but saying it wasn't fair is childish. WDAY and KFGO had a chance to bid on TV and radio rights and they low-balled, perhaps thinking that, "Hey, we can still do pregame from the tailgate lot without spending a dime." 1660 is going to need some exclusive content because without it, they will fail.

If WDAY is on their toes, they've already secured a pre-game broadcast spot from BWW. But that's a big If. Media in North Dakota seems to always be five years behind reality (or in the case of the Bismarck Tribune, 20 years.)

However, NDSU and KVLY better decide what to do about those Philly radio guys who are driving up to Fargo for a game immediately because it would be a debacle if they show up and are kicked out of the tailgating lot. They better be welcomed with open arms; after all, out-of-state broadcasters aren't competing with NDSU's media partners one
bit.

On the brighter side, if NDSU plays the postseason, Jeff and Dom will be able to be in the tailgate lot if they want because I don't think NDSU/KVLY own rights to that.

1660's signal sucks for a huge portion of the State. Far worse than either KFGO or WDAY. On Gameday, the network partners join late and leave early.

I'm not exactly sure if the decision makers ever leave Fargo. It's easy to forget that there's a lot of territory out there and the "Network" for football isn't all that great. There are times you have to look hard to find the game.

I'm not worried about the Uber fans. I think we could lose some of our following if any media partners back off on coverage. Time will tell.

bisonaudit
07-30-2016, 02:12 PM
I live how this is all about dom and Jeff, but if the shoe was on the other foot none of you would care.

It's not personal, but many of personalized it. Yeah it sucks dom and jeff work for such a cheap outfitted. But it what it is

This is so because what people care about is the quality of the coverage. It's not personal loyalty to Dom or Jeff or their employers, it's about the work they do.

bri-dog
07-30-2016, 02:12 PM
Pretty sure Kolpack is on the verge of tears on the radio right now...

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 02:14 PM

bit.

Edit: I just read SamsRams post in which he says pretty much what I was thinking - although I can't stress enough on how much better Dom and Jeff do covering the Bison than anybody else.

Good post and dead on

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 02:16 PM
A couple of things to think about here...

I believe JJ is trying to be proactive and bisonville is being quite reactive about this whole thing.

1660 The Bison? That was created as a revenue stream for the school that brings in additional revenue for the school and only the school. No one else. Let's see what they do with a dedicated medium for the public to consume and see what kind of content they bring to the table.

Dom and Izzo? They do a terrific job with their content. That content is being consumed through WDAY-TV and Forum Communications, and they are getting their revenue without paying like KVLY has already paid. Absolutely has nothing to do with who is doing better, which is clear who is and isn't, it's all about the MONEY. Welcome to 2016 Bisonville.

You want Dom and Izzo to continue their coverage? Have JJ hire them away from Forum Communications. THIS IS ALL ABOUT MONEY. Want KVLY to have better pregame, halftime, and post game coverage? PAY THE MONEY KVLY to have producers, writers, talent, everything that goes into generating better content for your consumers. My speculation is hopefully this new restriction of access will funnel all of the money, focus, production, content, etc into two outputs. TV and Radio. Hopefully KVLY, and only KVLY will have the wherewithal to realize that they have one shot at vastly improving their coverage or guess what, WDAY, Dom and Izzo, or anyone else will see that they have an opportunity to do it better themselves and cash in. Plain and Simple.

I hope that this puts KVLY on alert status. This is your one chance to pull all our your resources together and see what you can do. If you fail, NEXT MAN UP.
1660 The Bison. Here's your opportunity to have all the focus on you. STEP UP. The Wild West of free content is over.

Now let's see what money can do to motivate you (KVLY, 1660) to do the best job you can do to feed the huge appetite that NDSU athletics has on everyone in the region. If you succeed, then be ready to give more and more until you can no longer afford and let a bigger player take over. If you fail then let's see who's willing to step up and advance the content to a level you could not.

Go Bison.

Yes sir, we'll said!!!!

No_Skill
07-30-2016, 02:17 PM
It's way too early to speculate if this is a good move or not. Let's give it a year and see some results before we call this a failure.

The true test will be when the contract is expiring and goes back up for bids. I bet the Forum won't be sitting on their hands then.

Bison bison
07-30-2016, 02:19 PM
i have no problem with ndsu doing this.

jeff and izzo may have to change things up, but they are the best in the area at what they do and this doesnt change that.

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 02:21 PM
I can understand limiting and controlling the product but I really hope NDSU remembers where they came from though and works something out with Jeff and Dom. They were there reporting on the Bison and upping their own game with no one pushing them. Heck from what I have been told they did it with a crap budget from their own employers. Remember those that got you to where you are and these two are a big part of that. It seems like the North Dakota way to reward that, cutting them out seems like the New York way and that isn't what we want out here if you take the uproar on this board into account. The uproar isn't about all media being cut out it is about Dom And Jeff!

If you think about it wday and the foolUM are the ones who screwed Jeff and Dom......their companies got greedy!

Bison bison
07-30-2016, 02:22 PM
this salsa was made in New York City!

Bison 4 Life
07-30-2016, 02:23 PM

bit.

I never thought it wasn't fair to WDAY, it's not fair to us who like good things and not bad things.

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 02:27 PM
I never thought it wasn't fair to WDAY, it's not fair to us who like good things and not bad things.

You don't see the impact this has one the current contracts?

THEsocalledfan
07-30-2016, 02:31 PM
So, more important to shit on NDSUs best coverage than fix tailgating? Can't make this up.

Yes, within rights, but it is extreme.

bisonmike2
07-30-2016, 02:32 PM
I love Kolpack and Izzo but what they are bitching about is that their company is too cheap win the rights. Up until now they have enjoyed the benefits of a media contract with NDSU without having to pay for it.

Bison 4 Life
07-30-2016, 02:32 PM
You don't see the impact this has one the current contracts?

Please tell me why I have to care about the contracts. As a consumer, I only care about the product. I give zero fucks about who does what as long as they do it well. The last few years the BMB has absolutely slayed the competition in depth and quality of coverage.

VNL half asses it and their personalities whole ass it.

NorthernBison
07-30-2016, 02:33 PM
Jeff said he views this as a slap in the face.

He said they will cover football. No reason to cover other sports. Direct quote, "Why would I ever go to a softball game. Give me one reason". "Why cover Women's basketball? Nobody cares". Even men's basketball to a certain extent. There isn't that much interest.

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 02:36 PM
Wow Sams, I respect you but I don't follow this logic. Get away with broadcasting from the Dome lot. As if it's not owned by the city? Giving anyone and their mom an interview. As if Kolpack and Izzo were just two nobodies? Wtf do Rob Port and a DUI have to do with anything? A: Any media should be welcome to the Fargodme lot. B:CK can accept or decline to do any interview he wants. C and D: Any credentialed media should be able to cover Bison football as they see fit. Don't confuse protecting the brand with second hand censorship.

Because that saturates the market with content. This way we ensure $$$$ go back into improving ndsu verses private companies

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 02:39 PM
Please tell me why I have to care about the contracts. As a consumer, I only care about the product. I give zero fucks about who does what as long as they do it well. The last few years the BMB has absolutely slayed the competition in depth and quality of coverage.

VNL half asses it and their personalities whole ass it.

But now that everyone knows there are no more free rides everyone is put on notice to step up their game. Prior there was real no incentive to do a good job. As everyone had access

bisonmike2
07-30-2016, 02:41 PM
Kolpack and McFeely really have their panties twisted over this in twitter this morning. A very catty tweet from Kolpack directed at the new play by play guy that's completely unfounded. Kinda douchy move by Jeff.

How sad if the new guy is behind this. Sir, you are no Scotty Miller and golden tones would be appalled at this policy.

bisonaudit
07-30-2016, 02:45 PM
But now that everyone knows there are no more free rides everyone is put on notice to step up their game. Prior there was real no incentive to do a good job. As everyone had access

Seems like everyone having access would provide a tremendous incentive to do a good job, whereas limiting competition allows those with the monopoly to get by without doing all that they can for their listeners/viewers/readers.

Bison 4 Life
07-30-2016, 02:46 PM
Kolpack and McFeely really have their panties twisted over this in twitter this morning. A very catty tweet from Kolpack directed at the new play by play guy that's completely unfounded. Kinda douchy move by Jeff.

I don't necessarily disagree with him.

bisonaudit
07-30-2016, 02:46 PM

Kolpack's chili is running a little hot right now. They need to take a day or two, get their emotions together and then get back to kicking KVLY's ass.

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 02:47 PM

Someone should ask them if they think their companies would agree to give ndsu a % of the advertising $ generated by their coverage.

North Side
07-30-2016, 02:47 PM
Seems like everyone having access would provide a tremendous incentive to do a good job, whereas limiting competition allows those with the monopoly to get by without doing all that they can for their listeners/viewers/readers.

We did have competetion and look how crappy KVLY pregame was..... it will probably get worse ugh.... just wish WDAY had the contract

NDSU92
07-30-2016, 02:49 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really understand all of the uproar. The only things that I can think of that really affect Kolpack/Izzo would be live tweeting the game and not being able to host pre/post-game show from NDSU grounds. Both seem like minor inconveniences. Forum Comm. has been getting a free ride on the NDSU money train for a while now. NDSU athletics is a different animal than other schools around here. IMO If Forum Comm. wants to play, they need to pay...

No_Skill
07-30-2016, 02:49 PM
What are the odds Kolpack and Izzo redirect their efforts to the old abandoned outhouse? That could be a major backfire of this experiment.

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 02:50 PM
We did have competetion and look how crappy KVLY pregame was..... it will probably get worse ugh.... just wish WDAY had the contract

Plus audit, there was no real consequences of failure. You could always do something and get essentially the same access/content. Now not so much, advertiser's know exactly where to go to get exposure

bisonaudit
07-30-2016, 02:51 PM
What are the odds Kolpack and Izzo redirect their efforts to the old abandoned outhouse? That could be a major backfire of this experiment.

Why would they do that? They're less popular than ladies softball.

No_Skill
07-30-2016, 02:53 PM
Why would they do that? They're less popular than ladies softball.

Agreed, but it provides more freedom and opportunity for growth. If the worm turns, they could be on the ground floor.

bisonaudit
07-30-2016, 02:54 PM
Except there was no real consequences of failure. You could always do something and get essentially the same access/content.

And there are now? Seems like the only consequences for KVLY's failures are being suffered by other media members who do better work and Bison fans.

CalBison97
07-30-2016, 02:55 PM
Love the work Jeff and Dom do and coverage of NDSU they provide. Very disappointed about the recent transpirings as they've been instrumental in the building process of our media brand. I understand the contract and legality issues, just not happy as a consumer. Would also be disappointed if JJ did not give J & D a prior notification out of good faith. Simply dropping this bombshell on 2 long-time promoters is not cool. Really hope somehow/some way we havent seen the end of them.

southpaw
07-30-2016, 02:55 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really understand all of the uproar. The only things that I can think of that really affect Kolpack/Izzo would be live tweeting the game and not being able to host pre/post-game show from NDSU grounds. Both seem like minor inconveniences. Forum Comm. has been getting a free ride on the NDSU money train for a while now. NDSU athletics is a different animal than other schools around here. IMO If Forum Comm. wants to play, they need to pay...

No one-on-one interviews with coaches either. It severely restricts access to the football and basketball programs. Your only sources for any Coach K stuff is now KVLY and the radio station. And a lot of people know how crappy the KVLY product has been. Why should they step up their game now when they're the only game in town?

gumby013
07-30-2016, 02:56 PM
I imagine the tailgate show will end up being live from BW3, or something similar.

scbison91
07-30-2016, 02:57 PM
We did have competetion and look how crappy KVLY pregame was..... it will probably get worse ugh.... just wish WDAY had the contract that is WDAY fault that don't get contract. probably biggest communctiaon co in ND and they outbid.. they need to step up to plate next time.

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 02:57 PM
And there are now? Seems like the only consequences for KVLY's failures are Bing suffered by other media members who do better work and Bison fans.

Yes, because of the failure to be renewed. Prior if you did not renew a contract their was no real consequences you still had essentially the same access. Now you dont

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 02:59 PM
No one-on-one interviews with coaches either. It severely restricts access to the football and basketball programs. Your only sources for any Coach K stuff is now KVLY and the radio station. And a lot of people know how crappy the KVLY product has been. Why should they step up their game now when they're the only game in town?

They needed to do that for the new radio station

NDSU92
07-30-2016, 03:00 PM
I imagine the tailgate show will end up being live from BW3, or something similar.

How many one on one interviews happen with each head coach in-season? I am under the belief (could be wrong) that most information coming from CK during the season comes from the form of press conferences.

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 03:00 PM
Love the work Jeff and Dom do and coverage of NDSU they provide. Very disappointed about the recent transpirings as they've been instrumental in the building process of our media brand. I understand the contract and legality issues, just not happy as a consumer. Would also be disappointed if JJ did not give J & D a prior notification out of good faith. Simply dropping this bombshell on 2 long-time promoters is not cool. Really hope somehow/some way we havent seen the end of them.

It would be nice if we could hire them.

THEsocalledfan
07-30-2016, 03:01 PM

For me, it is just the extreme items like not being able to talk to coaches. That is extreme.

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 03:01 PM
How many one on one interviews happen with each head coach in-season? I am under the belief (could be wrong) that most information coming from CK during the season comes from the form of press conferences.

Well it sounds like there will be regular interviews and coach showsshows for more sports now with the new radio station

southpaw
07-30-2016, 03:10 PM
They needed to do that for the new radio station

Needed? Lots of big-time programs have their own TV and radio stations yet they don't feel the need for restricting access.
Im surprised so many people are ok with decreasing the amount of info fans will receive just because Forum Comm didn't shell out money for broadcast rights.

yopaulie
07-30-2016, 03:13 PM
KVLY to have better pregame, halftime, and post game coverage? PAY THE MONEY KVLY to have producers, writers, talent, everything that goes into generating better content for your consumers.

I could not disagree more with this assertion. In 25 years of business, I have never seen a well run business pay money to a poorly performing vendor, in order to make that vendor perform better. It just doesn't work that way. Good businesses reward and expand contracts to those who are outperforming their competitors. To be honest, I've typically found that poorly run businesses make these kind of mistakes. NDSU Athletics is very well run overall, historically, but unfortunately this is a money play that conflicts with continuing to build and expand the brand.

Bison 4 Life
07-30-2016, 03:14 PM
Someone should ask them if they think their companies would agree to give ndsu a % of the advertising $ generated by their coverage.

Their coverage IS advertising

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 03:26 PM
Their coverage IS advertising

Exactly subsidized by ndsu football. Pay your share foolUM wday. I get what your saying but a decision was made that it's better for ndsu to go the pay way verses free. The % of return is obviously bigger........we will see.

StL Bison Fan
07-30-2016, 03:34 PM
I could not disagree more with this assertion. In 25 years of business, I have never seen a well run business pay money to a poorly performing vendor, in order to make that vendor perform better. It just doesn't work that way. Good businesses reward and expand contracts to those who are outperforming their competitors. To be honest, I've typically found that poorly run businesses make these kind of mistakes. NDSU Athletics is very well run overall, historically, but unfortunately this is a money play that conflicts with continuing to build and expand the brand.

Take out the well run part and face grand forks. Then turn to face Bismarck. There's your exception.

Bison 4 Life
07-30-2016, 03:46 PM
Exactly subsidized by ndsu football. Pay your share foolUM wday. I get what your saying but a decision was made that it's better for ndsu to go the pay way verses free. The % of return is obviously bigger........we will see.

I mean the special sections in the Forum, the widely loved daily coverage online and the F'n BOOK Kolpack wrote is all good for NDSU. It's not a one way street.

Are you really Chris Berg or Lee Timmerman?

NDSU92
07-30-2016, 03:48 PM
I mean the special sections in the Forum, the widely loved daily coverage online and the F'n BOOK Kolpack wrote is all good for NDSU. It's not a one way street.

Does any of this stop with the new restrictions?

bisonmike2
07-30-2016, 03:50 PM

I agree, there is no way kvly it's going to get better because wday is being pushed out of the way.if anything they can now do an even more shitty job because there less incentive to do well. I understand the busineess decision but I think this is going to hurt NDSU more than it helps.

HerdBot
07-30-2016, 03:53 PM
1660's signal sucks for a huge portion of the State. Far worse than either KFGO or WDAY. On Gameday, the network partners join late and leave early.

I'm not exactly sure if the decision makers ever leave Fargo. It's easy to forget that there's a lot of territory out there and the "Network" for football isn't all that great. There are times you have to look hard to find the game.

I'm not worried about the Uber fans. I think we could lose some of our following if any media partners back off on coverage. Time will tell.

Maybe they will simulcast or sell the content to other stations on the Bison radio network?

Either way the new norm is live radio streams

EC8CH
07-30-2016, 03:54 PM

If he was Berg he would have taken the rock to the house by now.

scottietohottie
07-30-2016, 03:54 PM
I agree, there is no way kvly it's going to get better because wday is being pushed out of the way.if anything they can now do an even more shitty job because there less incentive to do well. I understand the busineess decision but I think this is going to hurt NDSU more than it helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlbiB4nlVz4

southpaw
07-30-2016, 03:57 PM

As Kolpack said, who provides the most coverage for non-revenue sports? That would be Forum Comm. If you screw them over on FB and MBB, what incentive do they have to cover other events? The readership isn't that significant that it's worth investing resources to cover those teams.

onbison09
07-30-2016, 04:05 PM

I believe JJ is trying to be proactive and bisonville is being quite reactive about this whole thing.

1660 The Bison? That was created as a revenue stream for the school that brings in additional revenue for the school and only the school. No one else. Let's see what they do with a dedicated medium for the public to consume and see what kind of content they bring to the table.

Dom and Izzo? They do a terrific job with their content. That content is being consumed through WDAY-TV and Forum Communications, and they are getting their revenue without paying like KVLY has already paid. Absolutely has nothing to do with who is doing better, which is clear who is and isn't, it's all about the MONEY. Welcome to 2016 Bisonville.

You want Dom and Izzo to continue their coverage? Have JJ hire them away from Forum Communications. THIS IS ALL ABOUT MONEY. Want KVLY to have better pregame, halftime, and post game coverage? PAY THE MONEY KVLY to have producers, writers, talent, everything that goes into generating better content for your consumers. My speculation is hopefully this new restriction of access will funnel all of the money, focus, production, content, etc into two outputs. TV and Radio. Hopefully KVLY, and only KVLY will have the wherewithal to realize that they have one shot at vastly improving their coverage or guess what, WDAY, Dom and Izzo, or anyone else will see that they have an opportunity to do it better themselves and cash in. Plain and Simple.

I hope that this puts KVLY on alert status. This is your one chance to pull all our your resources together and see what you can do. If you fail, NEXT MAN UP.
1660 The Bison. Here's your opportunity to have all the focus on you. STEP UP. The Wild West of free content is over.

Now let's see what money can do to motivate you (KVLY, 1660) to do the best job you can do to feed the huge appetite that NDSU athletics has on everyone in the region. If you succeed, then be ready to give more and more until you can no longer afford and let a bigger player take over. If you fail then let's see who's willing to step up and advance the content to a level you could not.

Go Bison.
What's the incentive for KVLY to pay more money? Especially now, they have the games. People will watch them.

Tony Almeida
07-30-2016, 04:09 PM
I missed the Kolpack Izzo show this morning, do they have podcasts?

ndsubison1
07-30-2016, 04:13 PM

Go Bison.

Ban corporate profits now!!

bri-dog
07-30-2016, 04:14 PM
I missed the Kolpack Izzo show this morning, do they have podcasts?

Uh oh, now you did it. You're gonna get THEsocalledfan all fired up again... :)

aces1180
07-30-2016, 04:15 PM
So let's say Game Day wants to come to the Fargodome this year as opposed to downtown...Does NDSU restrict them? Same with SportsCenter on the road.

I understand both sides here, but I also think it makes NDSU look bad.

On the other side, Forum Comm knows they need to cover NDSU, as it drives readership/viewership.

I'm not pleased with NDSU right now...

Tony Almeida
07-30-2016, 04:18 PM
Uh oh, now you did it. You're gonna get THEsocalledfan all fired up again... :)

I'm assuming no...and assuming this has been talked about a few times on here, sorry I missed it.

bri-dog
07-30-2016, 04:22 PM
I'm assuming no...and assuming this has been talked about a few times on here, sorry I missed it.

Sorry, forgot to add to it. If I'm not mistaken, they DO have podcasts you can hear on a computer, but not on a smartphone. Check the "Podcasts" thread for details. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong...

ndsubison1

You sound like a UND fan

AKBison
Like a lot of you, I have moved quite a few times over the last 15 years and Bison football tradition to me was Scotty on game days with Kolpack and Izzo getting me through game week and pregame. Now that I am back in NoDak and live in BFE western ND, Kolpack and Izzo are still my only source for Bison sports info. The loss of Scotty double this up. We get zero local coverage, get scratchy football games with coverage that starts 15 before kickoff and ends about 15 after. That's it for Bison sports coverage. No basketball games, everything I get comes from Kolpack and Izzo. So guess what, as silly as it sounds, those 2 guys are Bison athletics for me, it's now a family thing. F the new guy who's replacing Scotty and F The Griz transplant behind this. #rant over

ndsubison1
07-30-2016, 04:25 PM

They can still do their shows, just not on NDSU grounds

SDbison
07-30-2016, 04:31 PM
So what assures us Jeremy Jorgensen is good enough to demand improvement by KVLY? Why would KVLY sink more money into their efforts if they already have an exclusive contract for 3 more years? In the big boy world of sports this works because of higher level of expertise, huge $$ invested and competition in bidding for exclusive rights. KVLY was dropped a big bonus gift since these rules by NDSU were decided after they got the contract. To me it looks like someone inside is buttering the bread for one of their buddies who runs KVLY. This deal stinks all the way around and is so disrespectful to fans and the guys who helped build up popularity of this program. Just like with tailgate rules and number of security present this move is overkill. How many cases of tailgaters getting out of hand have we had over the past 10 years? Zero! Other than the crap KVLY produces, how many cases of low budget subpar productions of Bison media have there been in the last 10 years? Zero!

coldspot
07-30-2016, 04:35 PM
I see a lot of whining going on. Kolpack and Izzo complaining that they're being slighted by NDSU and "the new radio guy". Go into your bosses office and tell him to pony up the bucks to get you your access or you'll find a different employer. Many complaining that they'll lose out on coverage. Let NDSU and JJ know what you expect for coverage throughout the week leading up to game days. Complaining that KVLY will under achieve with their production. Let them know that there is an expectation of improvement from their prior game day production.

Lose the destructive "sky is falling" mentality and do something to be productive. Nobody wins when everybody pisses and moans because they're not getting their way.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

onbison09
07-30-2016, 04:38 PM
I see a lot of whining going on. Kolpack and Izzo complaining that they're being slighted by NDSU and "the new radio guy". Go into your bosses office and tell him to pony up the bucks to get you your access or you'll find a different employer. Many complaining that they'll lose out on coverage. Let NDSU and JJ know what you expect for coverage throughout the week leading up to game days. Complaining that KVLY will under achieve with their production. Let them know that there is an expectation of improvement from their prior game day production.

Lose the destructive "sky is falling" mentality and do something to be productive. Nobody wins when everybody pisses and moans because they're not getting their way.

Why would KVLY want to improve their production at all? There's no incentive. Here's their Bison page. Doesn't even hold a candle to Jeff and Dom's blog http://www.valleynewslive.com/sports/bisonhuddle/

SDbison
07-30-2016, 04:41 PM

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk How about NDSU start making moves like they know what they are doing versus adopting knee jerk ridiculous rules. There is a reason for all the outrage. A simple poll of alumni and teammakers would have told them they might be making a mistake and should possibly reconsider how they set policy.

AKBison
07-30-2016, 04:43 PM

A. It feels good to rant
B. We have seen nothing in the past out of NDSU's media partners to make us think this will be good. Truth be told, I don't give a rats ass about WDAY and the Forum. I am pissed that the guys, especially Kolpack, who have brought us Bison sports and have a passion for it, are cut off based on the premise that NDSU's new media partners will magically raise the bar.
C. As has already been mentioned, the B1G schools aren't this draconian, why are we?

Milkman
07-30-2016, 04:44 PM
Yeah, like the high standard KVLY has been held to.

*They don't make a purple deep enough for that one
Your comment is such a deep purple, it's appearing black on my phone's screen.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

SDbison
07-30-2016, 05:07 PM
Jesus tap dancing Christ, get your head out of your ass and think.. All of this "restrictive access" business is for local media only.. You really think JJ would restrict ESPN or any national media from access?? NBC has broadcast over Nortre Dame but do you see ESPN being restricted from talking or covering them? Fuck no. ESPN asks for permission, and get it 100% of the time. It's ESPN for Christ's sakes. This is STRICTLY effecting local media from generating revenue on NDSU content without paying any type of fee. I'm about 1000% sure JJ wouldn't charge ESPN, FS1 or national outlet because of the exposure alone. This is basically a KVLY vs WDAY and Forum Comunications vs Radio FM battle... Likely this is where rookie JJ got his idea to adopt new media rules. Every time ESPN visits NDSU JJ is asked to approve rights for broadcast.......after a while he thinks NDSU is big time and this should be expected from all the little guys.

StL Bison Fan
07-30-2016, 05:13 PM
If they are worried that much about the brand, they better hire someone to do the craft show circuit and monitor FB. You should see the Bison garbage that is being sold.

Da Bison
07-30-2016, 05:24 PM
JMO but I think this has more to do with KFGO and the gap-toothed one.
They don't want KFGO doing any live production from the lot and then telling their audience...... stay tuned for the un_ f'n hawks.
I think they are trying to cover all the possibilities.
Look for permissions to be granted.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Wally
07-30-2016, 05:29 PM

This. This and more of this.

This whole deal kind of makes me think of the olden days when the the smaller D2 schools wanted to decrease scholarships to help level the playing field vs NDSU. Right now, Jeff/Dom are being imposed scholarship limits so the limp dicked competition can catch up. I get it, it's all about the money and the "brand", but from what I've seen from non-Forum Comm media, specifically KVLY, they don't help the brand with their crap production/content. I would expect Jeff/Dom to completely outclass all others, even with restrictions.

Time will certainly tell.

td577
07-30-2016, 05:29 PM
This is protecting content. If you don't protect the content, the contract really means nothing. If this contract means nothing, the next contract means nothing. Then there is no incentive for anyone to bid. Then what happens you get a lowball bid and very little production investment so a further crappy product because why invest in something if it isn't exclusive. KVLY bought the rights to not have to compete over delivering content. I don't like their product and have said so in the past, but that doesn't change what is reality.

This sets the tone for everything now and in the future. If KVLY doesn't improve their content delivery, for example, then the next contract will be based on both numbers and performance. That is what we want as fans. There will have to be wording in contracts expressively guaranteeing a certain level of production. If the wording is there now, it will have to be upheld to maintain the exclusivity the contract guarantees.

Jeff and co. are turning this into an emotional argument because they can't win any logical argument. They know the content needs to be protected and they would absolutely want it that way if their parent company contracted the rights. It is petty and serves no purpose but to make NDSU look bad for protecting its long term interests. The long term interests include developing a package worth bidding top dollar on and the end result being both sides of any contract receiving mutual benefit. While some think the outside interests are giving NDSU free advertising, they are devaluing future leverage.

This is a win for the fans, not a loss. The end result will be the media not only having to pony up for exclusivity, but required to meet a high level of production or they will lose the next round. Jeff and Co. are not victims of the success they helped create, they are, in fact, possible future beneficiaries. Their parent company needs to step up to the plate and insure they are the ones in the driver's seat next time.

StL Bison Fan
07-30-2016, 05:31 PM
JMO but I think this has more to do with KFGO and the gap-toothed one.
They don't want KFGO doing any live production from the lot and then telling their audience...... stay tuned for the un_ f'n hawks.
I think they are trying to cover all the possibilities.
Look for permissions to be granted.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

You could be right about that. Also
No one would be complaining if the licensed production wasn't so bad. Think about it, the fans go elsewhere because the contracted people stink.
Surely, NDSU sees this?

scbison91
07-30-2016, 05:32 PM
This is protecting content. If you don't protect the content, the contract really means nothing. If this contract means nothing, the next contract means nothing. Then there is no incentive for anyone to bid. Then what happens you get a lowball bid and very little production investment so a further crappy product because why invest in something if it isn't exclusive. KVLY bought the rights to not have to compete over delivering content. I don't like their product and have said so in the past, but that doesn't change what is reality.

This sets the tone for everything now and in the future. If KVLY doesn't improve their content delivery, for example, then the next contract will be based on both numbers and performance. That is what we want as fans. There will have to be wording in contracts expressively guaranteeing a certain level of production. If the wording is there now, it will have to be upheld to maintain the exclusivity the contract guarantees.

Jeff and co. are turning this into an emotional argument because they can't win any logical argument. They know the content needs to be protected and they would absolutely want it that way if their parent company contracted the rights. It is petty and serves no purpose but to make NDSU look bad for protecting its long term interests. The long term interests include developing a package worth bidding top dollar on and the end result being both sides of any contract receiving mutual benefit. While some think the outside interests are giving NDSU free advertising, they are devaluing future leverage.

This is a win for the fans, not a loss. The end result will be the media not only having to pony up for exclusivity, but required to meet a high level of production or they will lose the next round. Jeff and Co. are not victims of the success they helped create, they are, in fact, possible future beneficiaries. Their parent company needs to step up to the plate and insure they are the ones in the driver's seat next time. amen......

ndsubison1
07-30-2016, 05:41 PM
Why would KVLY want to improve their production at all? There's no incentive. Here's their Bison page. Doesn't even hold a candle to Jeff and Dom's blog http://www.valleynewslive.com/sports/bisonhuddle/

So they don't lose the contract in the future. Why the hell did they ever go to HD then?

ndsubison1
07-30-2016, 05:42 PM

Because most people react emotionally and don't know what they're talking about

HerdBot
07-30-2016, 05:42 PM
The more I read about this, the better I feel about it. It's business and nothing personal. You're still going to see Bison coverage because it's what the public wants and that drives ratings. It just may look a little different. If you want to watch full NFL press conferences, you either have to pay for it or go to the exclusive provider. If you don't, why would the provider pay top dollar for it when it's available everywhere? As much as I love Dom and Jeff, the Forum profits from it too.

What we need to do as fans is demand better coverage. This dog shit pregame show on KVLY is joke. If 1660 can't provide good coverage... Then tell them

Wally
07-30-2016, 05:48 PM

This is a win for the fans, not a loss. The end result will be the media not only having to pony up for exclusivity, but required to meet a high level of production or they will lose the next round. Jeff and Co. are not victims of the success they helped create, they are, in fact, possible future beneficiaries. Their parent company needs to step up to the plate and insure they are the ones in the driver's seat next time.

They are turning it into an emotional argument because they have led the charge with what they have done covering NDSU/FCS. I think most in the FCS circles would agree they are at the top, if not thee top. No, I'm not naive enough to think they aren't making money on the NDSU content they churn out. They were ahead of the game and have benefitted for sure, but to get elbowed out now after the work they have done sucks for them. Yes, they are collateral damage in Forum Comm's decision to put in a shitty bid, but it still doesn't take away what they have done in the past and how they might feel slighted.

Honest question, how does requiring Jeff/Dom do a pre-game show across the street "protect the brand" and "protect content"?

td577
07-30-2016, 06:02 PM
They are turning it into an emotional argument because they have led the charge with what they have done covering NDSU/FCS. I think most in the FCS circles would agree they are at the top, if not thee top. No, I'm not naive enough to think they aren't making money on the NDSU content they churn out. They were ahead of the game and have benefitted for sure, but to get elbowed out now after the work they have done sucks for them. Yes, they are collateral damage in Forum Comm's decision to put in a shitty bid, but it still doesn't take away what they have done in the past and how they might feel slighted.

Honest question, how does requiring Jeff/Dom do a pre-game show across the street "protect the brand" and "protect content"?

First of all, they should be the first to recognize the business side should be protected because they should demand that if the tables were turned in their favor. They have the right to complain about it, but it is disingenuous if they aren't putting all the facts out there.

How about I ask you a question. You negotiated a contract with KBBQ TV to cover your backyard BBQ. They paid you good money to have exclusive rights to do a pre-BBQ show, the actual event, and the post-BBQ recap. How do you think they would feel if they let WBBQ have a section of your backyard to simultaneously cover the same event with no contract. Sure it provides additional coverage to your BBQ, but it completely disregards the contract you had with KBBQ, even if WBBQ is way better at covering BBQs. So you figured out you should honor your side of the contract and kick WBBQ out of your backyard. They decide they will still cover the BBQ from your neighbor's yard. Now the content derived from your backyard has to either come from participants or through KBBQ. KBBQ's content is protected by them, you, and the contract. The participants signed a waiver saying they will have to go through you to provide content. Now the content is protected because anything WBBQ provides has to come through the sources who legally own the content.

What this does is make that contract worth exponentially more.

Bisonguy
07-30-2016, 06:06 PM

It doesn't matter if the dome is owned by the city. The rules for an event are established by those running the event. If a private company wanted to have a meeting at the Fargodome they could rent it out and not allow any media to be at the event.

At larger stadiums, there's typically a hierarchy of media access. Some stadiums even have multiple limit lines on the field depending on who they are. Official video takes precedence, then official photo, media video, media photo, then others after that.

NDSUBowler
07-30-2016, 06:08 PM
When I always get excited about the thought of NDSU making national news, this isn't what I envision.

http://deadspin.com/ndsu-effectively-bans-media-from-covering-bison-sports-1784581476?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitte r&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

NDSUBowler
07-30-2016, 06:09 PM
For those who are so for this, I'd be curious if you can find other schools that have a strict of media rules in place as NDSU now has. It seems that NDSU has gone above and beyond the norm, which I don't think is a good thing.

HerdBot
07-30-2016, 06:10 PM
So let's say Game Day wants to come to the Fargodome this year as opposed to downtown...Does NDSU restrict them? Same with SportsCenter on the road.

I understand both sides here, but I also think it makes NDSU look bad.

On the other side, Forum Comm knows they need to cover NDSU, as it drives readership/viewership.

I'm not pleased with NDSU right now...

They would simply approve the request. Pretty straight forward.

HerdBot
07-30-2016, 06:12 PM
For those who are so for this, I'd be curious if you can find other schools that have a strict of media rules in place as NDSU now has. It seems that NDSU has gone above and beyond the norm, which I don't think is a good thing.

At the FBS level it's harder to find teams that don't have similar rules

HerdBot
07-30-2016, 06:18 PM
Do you guys realize how much money this will generate for the athletics department? 30% of all advertising goes to the athletic department. We're not talking net profit either. Why would we want to give away our content?

aces1180
07-30-2016, 06:25 PM
Deadspin picked it up...Not good for NDSU.

http://deadspin.com/ndsu-effectively-bans-media-from-covering-bison-sports-1784581476

HerdBot
07-30-2016, 06:26 PM
Deadspin picked it up...Not good for NDSU.

I disagree. We're actually on the dead spin so we're relevant.

ndsubison1
07-30-2016, 06:26 PM
http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2016/07/why_is_rutgers_restricting_its_media_access_for_tr .html

DePereBisonFan
07-30-2016, 06:29 PM
Wow. This is really terrible.

aces1180
07-30-2016, 06:32 PM
I disagree. We're actually on the dead spin so we're relevant.

No...We look terrible here.

BisonFan02
07-30-2016, 06:33 PM
ROI of this type of restriction/agreement versus the potential PR mess and handcuffing visibility of a FCS level athletic department? I think NDSU is trying to outkick their coverage here.....could really bite them in the ass.

DePereBisonFan
07-30-2016, 06:33 PM
That article isn't slanted at all. Just states the facts. And I was half joking about them restricting BV, but who knows. Never thought they would essentially black ball NDSU's biggest media supporters either...

Ridiculous. Just awful. They want to make it more difficult to follow and discuss the team? Then so long, NDSU. Kolpack and Izzo have captured the rise of a dynasty and this is what they get? And this is what we fans get?

ndsubison1
07-30-2016, 06:36 PM
https://backstorysports.com/2015/09/17/accessing-the-access-of-the-sec/

and back n 2012:

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw-husky-football/media-access-to-pac-12-football-practices-is-shrinking/

DePereBisonFan
07-30-2016, 06:37 PM

NDSU will get $400k, and UND will get increased and better state wide coverage. This happened when K-State got too full of itself and renegotiated its contract a number of years back. K-State got some money, and KU got broadcast all over the state. Everyone out west in the tractors in the fall? Their radios only got KU coverage.

Well done, NDSU. Well done.

DePereBisonFan
07-30-2016, 06:39 PM
Dear NDSU,

C'Mon. Dom and Jeff have done great service to promoting not only NDSU football, but all of NDSU athletics for years. And this is how you repay them? By caving in to some pressure from KVLY? If KVLY wasn't doing such a horseshit job of their pregame and halftime shows, then maybe people would watch instead of looking for Izzo and Kolpack. The correct response to KVLY's whining would have been to tell them to learn to compete, not try and wound their competition. Rethink this please. You are making a mistake.

^^^^^^^^^^

Wally
07-30-2016, 06:42 PM
First of all, they should be the first to recognize the business side should be protected because they should demand that if the tables were turned in their favor. They have the right to complain about it, but it is disingenuous if they aren't putting all the facts out there.

How about I ask you a question. You negotiated a contract with KBBQ TV to cover your backyard BBQ. They paid you good money to have exclusive rights to do a pre-BBQ show, the actual event, and the post-BBQ recap. How do you think they would feel if they let WBBQ have a section of your backyard to simultaneously cover the same event with no contract. Sure it provides additional coverage to your BBQ, but it completely disregards the contract you had with KBBQ, even if WBBQ is way better at covering BBQs. So you figured out you should honor your side of the contract and kick WBBQ out of your backyard. They decide they will still cover the BBQ from your neighbor's yard. Now the content derived from your backyard has to either come from participants or through KBBQ. KBBQ's content is protected by them, you, and the contract. The participants signed a waiver saying they will have to go through you to provide content. Now the content is protected because anything WBBQ provides has to come through the sources who legally own the content.

What this does is make that contract worth exponentially more.

I specifically highlighted the emotional part of your initial post, because I had thoughts on it, not what Jeff/Dom know business wise or what they need to say regarding the business side of things. I'm sure they know deep down, but I wasn't commenting on that side of things. I gave my thoughts on why I think it might be emotional for them.

As for the BBQ example, I just don't like where this road may go. It's becoming one voice giving a very controlled message at all times. Pretty soon will it be illegal to talk about NDSU's "content" anywhere but 1660?

td577
07-30-2016, 06:45 PM
NDSU will get $400k, and UND will get increased and better state wide coverage. This happened when K-State got too full of itself and renegotiated its contract a number of years back. K-State got some money, and KU got broadcast all over the state. Everyone out west in the tractors in the fall? Their radios only got KU coverage.

You know you are talking about something completely different?

This isn't about contact negotiation, it is about protecting contacts. I am not sure how you got to reduced coverage. It isn't like anyone was rebroadcasting without permission yesterday.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

DePereBisonFan
07-30-2016, 06:51 PM
At the FBS level it's harder to find teams that don't have similar rules

We are not FBS...

td577
07-30-2016, 06:57 PM
I specifically highlighted the emotional part of your initial post, because I had thoughts on it, not what Jeff/Dom know business wise or what they need to say regarding the business side of things. I'm sure they know deep down, but I wasn't commenting on that side of things. I gave my thoughts on why I think it might be emotional for them.

As for the BBQ example, I just don't like where this road may go. It's becoming one voice giving a very controlled message at all times. Pretty soon will it be illegal to talk about NDSU's "content" anywhere but 1660?
It's not controlling the message, it is protecting the contracts. You can't value a contract with rights to exclusivity if you don't enforce exclusivity. Jeff and Dom can still report whatever they want, they just can't use content that is contractually protected to tell the story without permission. If it comes down to them needing protected content to tell a story, they have to go through working with the people who originally paid for that exclusive access.

I guess I am not sure why people are not in favor of protecting these contracts. In the end, I do guarantee media people in Fargo will have a very clear understanding about copyright law and what is public domain.

Bison 4 Life
07-30-2016, 06:58 PM
I'm a consumer. I don't like it.

that's good enough.

Bisonwinagn
07-30-2016, 07:00 PM
You know you are talking about something completely different?

This isn't about contact negotiation, it is about protecting contacts. I am not sure how you got to reduced coverage. It isn't like anyone was rebroadcasting without permission yesterday.

I haven't read this whole thread, but adding a clause to a contract after the bidding process is complete sounds like a contract violation. If this was in the initial contract the bids may have been 600 or 1M who knows. But adding restrictions after the fact seems to be a breach to the bidding process. Any contract lawyers can add their opinion.

td577
07-30-2016, 07:02 PM
I haven't read this whole thread, but adding a clause to a contract after the bidding process is complete sounds like a contract violation. If this was in the initial contract the bids may have been 600 or 1M who knows. But adding restrictions after the fact seems to be a breach to the bidding process. Any contract lawyers can add their opinion.
It's not adding a clause. It is protecting what is already there.

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 07:05 PM

Good luck with that......the only ones that had the law on their side would have been kvly suing ndsu for allowing wday access that kvly paid for

Bisonwinagn
07-30-2016, 07:06 PM
It's not adding a clause. It is protecting what is already there.

So the question is would other companies have bid more knowing the about the restrictions?

Wally
07-30-2016, 07:07 PM
It's not controlling the message, it is protecting the contracts. You can't value a contract with rights to exclusivity if you don't enforce exclusivity. Jeff and Dom can still report whatever they want, they just can't use content that is contractually protected to tell the story without permission. If it comes down to them needing protected content to tell a story, they have to go through working with the people who originally paid for that exclusive access.

I guess I am not sure why people are not in favor of protecting these contracts. In the end, I do guarantee media people in Fargo will have a very clear understanding about copyright law and what is public domain.

It becomes one message if NDSU will only allow people within the department to talk to one media outlet. For example, let's say something very controversial happens within a part of the athletic department and only one outlet gets to talk to the AD regarding said problem, it will be KVLY. Don't for a minute think, NDSU won't have control of the questions regarding the issue. Therefore, controlling the message.

td577
07-30-2016, 07:07 PM
So the question is would other companies have bid more knowing the about the restrictions?
They did. They bid for exclusive rights.

scottietohottie
07-30-2016, 07:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/MrW5mUX.gif

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 07:10 PM

Maybe, but ndsu might not of felt like there when this position at that time. There comes a time in every business when you have to decide is the free coverage worth less than requiring compensation
Or

Mabel kvly is forcing their hand

Eirher way we don't know enough to know right noe

chuckles
07-30-2016, 07:14 PM
(figures made up) ...So last year KVLY was paying NDSU $100k for 'content', provided mediocre coverage, and turned a $25k profit. WDAY paid nothing for the same 'content', delivered superior coverage, and turned $125k profit. Bravo and kudos to WDAY for milking the cow and paying nothing. What advantage did KVLY get for their $100k in this example?

Now this year KVLY offers $100k and WDAY offers $100 (intending to do the same and milk away the hottest show in Fargo), but the content is now more secure. You can't blame NDSU for taking the $100k over the $100, even though the coverage is less accepted by the general population. The only sketchy thing here would be if these 'media rights' were not explained when the bids went out (and even if they were, I could see someone at WDAY trying to call NDSU's bluff and disregard them)

Bottom line is this is how the business of sports / marketing / advertising / media functions. On the almighty dollar. Sad, I know. There are a lot of intangibles that get thrown out the window when these agreements are created, but this is by no means a 'direct shot' at Jeff and Dom like some say. This is a shot at Forum Com. You think some folks at NDSU forgot all the negative press and the twisting of the stories they did about Joe Chapman, the house, and the Alumni Foundation, and continue to do? Think again, what goes around comes around and NDSU just threw a haymaker. But alas, this saga will continue!

HerdBot
07-30-2016, 07:24 PM

Ndsu will get the same amount of coverage and massive amounts of money. We get 30 percent of the 1660 gross receipts. Our radio network is massive and covers every square inch of the State. Demand drives content and Ndsu is what people want. Our radio affiliates will be given approval. The only difference is kfgo and wday won't be able to interview current coaches and national media will just need a quick approval by Ndsu.

wagsabison
07-30-2016, 07:28 PM
Jeff and Dom do a phenomenal job. KVLY pregame sucks. It's understandable that KVLY would want to limit access if they are paying what they pay

ndsubison1
07-30-2016, 07:29 PM
(figures made up) ...So last year KVLY was paying NDSU $100k for 'content', provided mediocre coverage, and turned a $25k profit. WDAY paid nothing for the same 'content', delivered superior coverage, and turned $125k profit. Bravo and kudos to WDAY for milking the cow and paying nothing. What advantage did KVLY get for their $100k in this example?

Now this year KVLY offers $100k and WDAY offers $100 (intending to do the same and milk away the hottest show in Fargo), but the content is now more secure. You can't blame NDSU for taking the $100k over the $100, even though the coverage is less accepted by the general population. The only sketchy thing here would be if these 'media rights' were not explained when the bids went out (and even if they were, I could see someone at WDAY trying to call NDSU's bluff and disregard them)

Bottom line is this is how the business of sports / marketing / advertising / media functions. On the almighty dollar. Sad, I know. There are a lot of intangibles that get thrown out the window when these agreements are created, but this is by no means a 'direct shot' at Jeff and Dom like some say. This is a shot at Forum Com. You think some folks at NDSU forgot all the negative press and the twisting of the stories they did about Joe Chapman, the house, and the Alumni Foundation, and continue to do? Think again, what goes around comes around and NDSU just threw a haymaker. But alas, this saga will continue!

And it will once again be turned into, "Ndsu is the big bad guy. We must take them down." Small minded mentality this state has.

scbison91
07-30-2016, 07:30 PM
Maybe, but ndsu might not of felt like there when this position at that time. There comes a time in every business when you have to decide is the free coverage worth less than requiring compensation
Or

Mabel kvly is forcing their hand

Eirher way we don't know enough to know right noe NDSU is becoming a national brand and worth a lot more money than a few years and KVLY bought and won rights and want to make sure they make their money.. t

td577
07-30-2016, 07:31 PM

They were bidding on the media rights. I think what people are getting confused about here is that NDSU is saying they are putting a foot down and enforcing them with those who do not have those rights. The only thing I can see that has been further defined is live play by play blogging. NDSU is saying you ain't doing it in our building because we have contracts granting exclusive rights and if you do it from home, you might be crossing some boundaries as far as rebroadcasting contracted content. The bottom line is I am pretty sure there is nothing new here, it is just NDSU make the choice to publicly state they are going to enforce the contracts they have negotiated. If one were to say knowing NDSU would enforce the contract it might have changed the way they had bid on the rights in the first place, but the risk then is on the bidder, not NDSU. While I have not seen the exact language of the contracts these entities have signed, I would be willing to bet there was nothing changed granting exclusive media rights. You don't pay $400k and have a contract that allows other mediums to deliver similar content. Apparently, you don't pay $500k when NDSU doesn't enforce exclusivity you can profit off of without a contract. There is an inherent risk to playing that game and Forum Communications just got burned playing it that way.

Ferd
07-30-2016, 07:37 PM
Check out the IOC rules...

https://stillmed.olympic.org/media/Document%20Library/OlympicOrg/News/accreditation/ioc_news_access_rules_rio_2016_en_final.pdf

scbison91
07-30-2016, 07:38 PM
They were bidding on the media rights. I think what people are getting confused about here is that NDSU is saying they are putting a foot down and enforcing them with those who do not have those rights. The only thing I can see that has been further defined is live play by play blogging. NDSU is saying you ain't doing it in our building because we have contracts granting exclusive rights and if you do it from home, you might be crossing some boundaries as far as rebroadcasting contracted content. The bottom line is I am pretty sure there is nothing new here, it is just NDSU make the choice to publicly state they are going to enforce the contracts they have negotiated. If one were to say knowing NDSU would enforce the contract it might have changed the way they had bid on the rights in the first place, but the risk then is on the bidder, not NDSU. While I have not seen the exact language of the contracts these entities have signed, I would be willing to bet there was nothing changed granting exclusive media rights. You don't pay $400k and have a contract that allows other mediums to deliver similar content. Apparently, you don't pay $500k when NDSU doesn't enforce exclusivity you can profit off of without a contract. There is an inherent risk to playing that game and Forum Communications just got burned playing it that way. So NDSU is just enforcing a contract they that entered too?

EC8CH
07-30-2016, 07:38 PM
So have exclusive broadcasting rights to broadcast the game isn't enough? Filling every kickoff, redzone, scoreboard, replay, halftime, medical report, keys to the game, etc, etc, etc with paid advertiser references isn't enough. On top of all that KLVY must be the only one who can interview a coach or player or step foot in the parking lot on game day?

Bison bison
07-30-2016, 07:39 PM

Blogs are very hard to setup.

td577
07-30-2016, 07:41 PM
It becomes one message if NDSU will only allow people within the department to talk to one media outlet. For example, let's say something very controversial happens within a part of the athletic department and only one outlet gets to talk to the AD regarding said problem, it will be KVLY. Don't for a minute think, NDSU won't have control of the questions regarding the issue. Therefore, controlling the message.

You think this will change messages? If something controversial happens, NDSU has always reserved the right to shut down communications outside their walls. Now they are putting it out there that access to personnel will be contractually enforced. Limiting access increases the value of a media rights contract. They always have had the right to not talk to anybody.

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 07:42 PM
They were bidding on the media rights. I think what people are getting confused about here is that NDSU is saying they are putting a foot down and enforcing them with those who do not have those rights. The only thing I can see that has been further defined is live play by play blogging. NDSU is saying you ain't doing it in our building because we have contracts granting exclusive rights and if you do it from home, you might be crossing some boundaries as far as rebroadcasting contracted content. The bottom line is I am pretty sure there is nothing new here, it is just NDSU make the choice to publicly state they are going to enforce the contracts they have negotiated. If one were to say knowing NDSU would enforce the contract it might have changed the way they had bid on the rights in the first place, but the risk then is on the bidder, not NDSU. While I have not seen the exact language of the contracts these entities have signed, I would be willing to bet there was nothing changed granting exclusive media rights. You don't pay $400k and have a contract that allows other mediums to deliver similar content. Apparently, you don't pay $500k when NDSU doesn't enforce exclusivity you can profit off of without a contract. There is an inherent risk to playing that game and Forum Communications just got burned playing it that way.

So true. Milk.cow free

HerdBot
07-30-2016, 07:42 PM

https://stillmed.olympic.org/media/Document%20Library/OlympicOrg/News/accreditation/ioc_news_access_rules_rio_2016_en_final.pdf

NFL and MLB. Heck even the Twins say this...

Any other use of this telecast or any pictures, descriptions, or accounts of the game without the NFL's consent is prohibited.

ndsubison1
07-30-2016, 07:44 PM
You think this will change messages? If something controversial happens, NDSU has always reserved the right to shut down communications outside their walls. Now they are putting it out there that access to personnel will be contractually enforced. Limiting access increases the value of a media rights contract. They always have had the right to not talk to anybody.

Yeah you've had to request interviews through Ndsu for awhile now

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 07:44 PM

Td it's funny how you and the others with media connections and insight are all saying the same thing on here, but the casual fan insist you are all wrong.

ndsubison1
07-30-2016, 07:45 PM

Non sponsors aren't allowed to tweet about the Olympics

HerdBoy
Jeff and Dom do a phenomenal job. KVLY pregame sucks. It's understandable that KVLY would want to limit access if they are paying what they pay

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb403/JKJP1920/1466149721478_zpstgpjlqnv.gif

Bison 4 Life
NDSU is a public university. They get so much free shit it's ridiculous.

That Bison Tracker app was made for free, at least initially. The Forum covers ALL their sports for free with extra better coverage than their paid outlets for their money sports.

They have always been well covered by the local media. This isn't a business, this is a public entity.

td577
07-30-2016, 07:47 PM
So NDSU is just enforcing a contract they that entered too?

Yes. They entered contracts allowing exclusive broadcast media rights. How have they been honoring their side of the contract turning a blind eye to other outlets with competitive broadcasts on their own turf?

scbison91
07-30-2016, 07:50 PM
Yes. They entered contracts allowing exclusive broadcast media rights. How have they been honoring their side of the contract turning a blind eye to other outlets with competitive broadcasts on their own turf? Someone must have told them they were giving content for free and were stupid since they have become a national brand. They will be able to cash in the future.

ndsubison1
07-30-2016, 07:52 PM

That Bison Tracker app was made for free, at least initially. The Forum covers ALL their sports for free with extra better coverage than their paid outlets for their money sports.

They have always been well covered by the local media. This isn't a business, this is a public entity.

Public-access laws cover only"meetings" where government policy is deliberated

MNLonghorn10
07-30-2016, 07:53 PM
cant remember the last time I watched a Dom/Izzo or KVLY pre game show because Im too busy tailgating, like the rest of you should be too.

Civil06
07-30-2016, 07:55 PM
Was online content part of the television package? How does an internet-only pregame show directly impact a television contract?

Civil06
07-30-2016, 07:56 PM
NFL and MLB. Heck even the Twins say this...

Any other use of this telecast or any pictures, descriptions, or accounts of the game without the NFL's consent is prohibited.

Those are all privately held entities of privately owned leagues, not public institutions where every employee works for the State of North Dakota.

Civil06
07-30-2016, 07:57 PM

How can you shut down all communications outside of your walls when you're entire office is comprised of state employees that are subject to open records requests?

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 07:59 PM

And that mindset right there is what causes state universities to relie on public funding and live beyound their means

bisonaudit
07-30-2016, 07:59 PM
Was online content part of the television package? How does an internet-only pregame show directly impact a television contract?

Because one of these days there won't be a difference.

HerdBot
07-30-2016, 08:00 PM
Those are all privately held entities of privately owned leagues, not public institutions where every employee works for the State of North Dakota.

So the NCAA is public?

Civil06
Because one of these days there won't be a difference.

Agreed, I just don't have the original RFP handy and I'm wondering if it was specific to television and radio.

MAKBison

Good luck with that

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 08:03 PM
It was Timmerman and berg no one would care!

Shows the hypocrisy of the situation

HerdBot
07-30-2016, 08:04 PM

And you don't think local media benefits from covering Ndsu? Last time I checked they have advertisers who spend money because of content.

And the Bison tracker people started a business and sell the same platform to other schools. They made out big time.

HerdBot
07-30-2016, 08:05 PM
It's funny if it this switched around it it was Timmerman and berg no one would care

This ^^^ ^^^

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 08:05 PM
Agreed, I just don't have the original RFP handy and I'm wondering if it was specific to television and radio.

Evend if the rfp does not specify online ndsu does not have to allow it.

td577
07-30-2016, 08:06 PM

The Forum does not cover the Bison out of the goodness of their hearts. It isn't free. They pay reporters to cover the Bison. They do it hoping for the return of increased circulation. Increased circulation means increased advertising. Increased advertising means increased revenue. Hopefully the revenue outpaces their expenditures meaning increased profits. They know they can circumvent the added expenditure of a media rights contract if they are granted equal access without the contract. Does this seem even the least bit logical to anyone? On the other hand, KVLY, for example, secures an exclusive media rights contract because they are betting on the content increasing viewers which in turn increases ad revenue and so forth.

I completely agree with everyone who says Dom and Jeff are absolutely spectacular at what they do. It sucks their coverage will be limited because their parent company did not bid enough to have exclusive media rights. It will also suck if the content and Bison product get watered down because of a failure to guarantee the exclusivity of the contracts they are entering into. KVLY's coverage straight up sucks but they did get the contract. They bought the protection. It is imperative both sides of the contract are upheld, especially while the demand for Bison athletics is high, so when the next go around comes around NDSU not only has as much leverage as possible, but the value of such contract is at true market value.

What would be the alternative? Allowing for anyone to broadcast Bison content with or without a contract? No metric for profitability for anyone so no one plays? I think the only alternative to this which insures tomorrow would look exactly like yesterday would be for Forum Communications to enter into a contract with NDSU, KVLY, and 1660 to purchase a slice of the rights to rebroadcast. Now they can become part of the game today. Or just wait it out and bid better on the next contract.

Bison 4 Life
07-30-2016, 08:08 PM
The Forum does not cover the Bison out of the goodness of their hearts. It isn't free. They pay reporters to cover the Bison. They do it hoping for the return of increased circulation. Increased circulation means increased advertising. Increased advertising means increased revenue. Hopefully the revenue outpaces their expenditures meaning increased profits. They know they can circumvent the added expenditure of a media rights contract if they are granted equal access without the contract. Does this seem even the least bit logical to anyone? On the other hand, KVLY, for example, secures an exclusive media rights contract because they are betting on the content increasing viewers which in turn increases ad revenue and so forth.

I completely agree with everyone who says Dom and Jeff are absolutely spectacular at what they do. It sucks their coverage will be limited because their parent company did not bid enough to have exclusive media rights. It will also suck if the content and Bison product get watered down because of a failure to guarantee the exclusivity of the contracts they are entering into. KVLY's coverage straight up sucks but they did get the contract. They bought the protection. It is imperative both sides of the contract are upheld, especially while the demand for Bison athletics is high, so when the next go around comes around NDSU not only has as much leverage as possible, but the value of such contract is at true market value.

What would be the alternative? Allowing for anyone to broadcast Bison content with or without a contract? No metric for profitability for anyone so no one plays? I think the only alternative to this which insures tomorrow would look exactly like yesterday would be for Forum Communications to enter into a contract with NDSU, KVLY, and 1660 to purchase a slice of the rights to rebroadcast. Now they can become part of the game today. Or just wait it out and bid better on the next contract.

Like Jeff said, see how much the "other sports" get covered. That is out of the perceived good relationship with NDSU which now no longer exists.

I support that.

Civil06
07-30-2016, 08:09 PM
Evend if the rfp does not specify online ndsu does not have to allow it.

The stuff during the game I kind of understand, but how can they limit two guys from streaming a pregame show from a City parking lot if online pregame shows weren't offered exclusively in the RFP?

MAKBison
07-30-2016, 08:12 PM

Exactly. Plus it gives ndsu more leverage in requiring a better product. More revenue and a potential better product......everything the same fan was bitching about not having 3 days ago.