PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Special Teams Discussion

IzzyFlexion
07-21-2016, 03:46 PM
Haven't heard much about our new SMU transfer punter Jackson Koonce. In March, Kolpack wrote that he wouldn't be on campus until fall camp. Late last month, Izzo & Kolpack's blog featured their 16 newcomers to watch. Koonce was number one on their list.

Both were vague when taking about this guy seeming to not know much about him.

He punted in all 12 of SMU's games as a freshman but only punted in 4 games last season as a sophomore for the Mustangs.

He averaged 39.6 ypp and had 2 blocked in 27 tries in 2105.

Jackson first appeared in game 5 for them; then again in games 6 & 7. DID NOT punt in their 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th games; then shared the punting duties with Josh Williams in SMU's last game in which they got lambasted 63-0 by Memphis.

In the NDSU spring game, Ian Gallagher did not play well at all.

BOTTOM LINE: I'm very concerned about our punting situation.

bisonaudit
07-21-2016, 04:02 PM
They could just stop punting.

TransAmBison
07-21-2016, 04:18 PM
Haven't heard much about our new SMU transfer punter Jackson Koonce. In March, Kolpack wrote that he wouldn't be on campus until fall camp. Late last month, Izzo & Kolpack's blog featured their 16 newcomers to watch. Koonce was number one on their list.

Both were vague when taking about this guy seeming to not know much about him.

He punted in all 12 of SMU's games as a freshman but only punted in 4 games last season as a sophomore for the Mustangs.

He averaged 39.6 ypp and had 2 blocked in 27 tries in 2105.

Jackson first appeared in game 5 for them; then again in games 6 & 7. DID NOT punt in their 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th games; then shared the punting duties with Josh Williams in SMU's last game in which they got lambasted 63-0 by Memphis.

In the NDSU spring game, Ian Gallagher did not play well at all.

BOTTOM LINE: I'm very concerned about our punting situation.We got him from 2105? Dude...you should really mention the time travel option in your new company's services...

Alsen
07-21-2016, 04:18 PM
I'm more concerned about the secondary. I keep watching last years games over and over and over again. Grimsley absolutely sucks. I have seldom beheld a more over-hyped player at any level.

Bison need three guys to step up and become solid players right away.

We may have that in Darrin Kelley, Dom Davis, Jaylaan Wimbush,Jaxon Brown,Bachmeier, and several other guys may compete as well, but, for those counting on Grimsley to be a pillar in this defense.......Go watch the film!!

If Robbie legitimately wins the position this fall then more power to him; however, if he is the same guy as last year and is a shoe-in at SS, then I'm calling foul. I saw the kid on film just outright take a dive to avoid contact on more than one occasion. We need an intimidator at SS, not a wussy who is himself intimidated. O.K. so he is 184 pounds.....fine, move him to nickel corner if he can cover better than the next kid, but don't even try to tell me this kid can tackle, because he can't.

I think it is a forgone conclusion our punting will not be elite as in the past but I think we will be solid there and our kicking has to be better. It can't be much worse than last year.

bisonaudit
07-21-2016, 04:29 PM
I'm more concerned about the secondary. I keep watching last years games over and over and over again. Grimsley absolutely sucks. I have seldom beheld a more over-hyped player at any level.

We may have that in Darrin Kelley, Dom Davis, Jaylaan Wimbush,Jaxon Brown,Bachmeier, and several other guys may compete as well, but, for those counting on Grimsley to be a pillar in this defense.......Go watch the film!!

If Robbie legitimately wins the position this fall then more power to him; however, if he is the same guy as last year and is a shoe-in at SS, then I'm calling foul. I saw the kid on film just outright take a dive to avoid contact on more than one occasion. We need an intimidator at SS, not a wussy who is himself intimidated. O.K. so he is 184 pounds.....fine, move him to nickel corner if he can cover better than the next kid, but don't even try to tell me this kid can tackle, because he can't.

I think it is a forgone conclusion our punting will not be elite as in the past but I think we will be solid there and our kicking has to be better. It can't be much worse than last year.

Grimsley is probably going to be fine. He was much better by the end of last season than he was early.

Mr. Burgundy
07-21-2016, 04:32 PM
If you didn't see huge improvement on Grimsley through the year last year, then I don't know what you were watching. 4 year starter. Kid can play. Very intelligent player. GOing to be just fine. He was a true freshman and it showed at times, my goodness. He is bigger now too. He didn't get the traditional redshirt year that so many get to build up their bodies.

IzzyFlexion
07-21-2016, 04:36 PM
We got him from 2105? Dude...you should really mention the time travel option in your new company's services...

https://i.imgflip.com/17quru.jpg

17>1
07-21-2016, 04:46 PM

I think you could keep that kind of an opinion to yourself. I don't mind seeing some constructive criticism about the play of a college kid, but to just flat out say he sucks and is over-hyped bothers me. Send Coach Klieman an email if you are this concerned about a wuss playing strong safety for the Bison. The kid flat out improved as the season went on, and I'm going to trust the coaches on this. He was a true freshman, playing in a difficult to understand defense, in the most physical FCS conference. There's going to be a learning curve. Be patient and give him a break, geez.

As long as the punter isn't being asked to kick FG's like last year, I'm not too worried about it.

IzzyFlexion
07-21-2016, 04:54 PM
As long as the punter isn't being asked to kick FG's like last year, I'm not too worried about it.

Koonce did kick a 52 yard field goal in high school. That little nugget likely strengthened the interest of our coaching staff.

So, I would imagine that the if Herd was in a pinch..........................

tjbison
07-21-2016, 05:24 PM

wow

:facepalm:

Christopher Moen
07-21-2016, 06:54 PM

Dude, you went full JohnnyByesonBoy on Grimsley. Never go full JohnnyByesonBoy.

Grimsely for a true freshman got pretty darn good by season's end, just like the rest of the team, especially those on defense.

Rock
07-21-2016, 07:12 PM
I am excited to see the d backfield. Lot of natural talent mixed with some guys that seem to have learned the defense.

Special teams is an area of concern. Have no idea how kickers/punters can be coached up.

Pretty sure I remember bohl chewing kellers hiney after a missed kick in SHSU champ 2 and the next game against k state patting him on the shoulder after a miss.

Keep 'em guessing!

IzzyFlexion
07-21-2016, 08:31 PM
Good to know that James Fisher is coming back as our LS.

56BISON73
07-22-2016, 01:57 AM

Post this or youre a liar.

56BISON73
07-22-2016, 01:58 AM
I think you could keep that kind of an opinion to yourself. I don't mind seeing some constructive criticism about the play of a college kid, but to just flat out say he sucks and is over-hyped bothers me. Send Coach Klieman an email if you are this concerned about a wuss playing strong safety for the Bison. The kid flat out improved as the season went on, and I'm going to trust the coaches on this. He was a true freshman, playing in a difficult to understand defense, in the most physical FCS conference. There's going to be a learning curve. Be patient and give him a break, geez.

Kid made some great hits and stops last year.

BlueBisonRock
07-22-2016, 07:07 AM

Drugs are truly a problem. For your own health, please quit cold turkey.

Alsen
07-22-2016, 01:46 PM
Kid made some great hits and stops last year.

He made a few nice shoe string tackles but show me just one rock solid hit. Just one...............

If he is anything, it is a CB who isn't expected to to do much in run defense; definitely NOT, a SS.

bri-dog
07-22-2016, 01:55 PM
He made a few nice shoe string tackles but show me just one rock solid hit. Just one...............

If he is anything, it is a CB who isn't expected to to do much in run defense; definitely NOT, a SS.

I like this play he made (this IS a special teams thread, after all). Watch the right side of the screen starting at 14:45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKiAfr13o1A

BisonNeil
07-22-2016, 02:55 PM
If you didn't see huge improvement on Grimsley through the year last year, then I don't know what you were watching. 4 year starter. Kid can play. Very intelligent player. GOing to be just fine. He was a true freshman and it showed at times, my goodness. He is bigger now too. He didn't get the traditional redshirt year that so many get to build up their bodies.

Amen! Great post, totally agree

BisonNation11
07-22-2016, 04:38 PM
I like this play he made (this IS a special teams thread, after all). Watch the right side of the screen starting at 14:45.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKiAfr13o1A

YEAH SON!!! GETCHYA SOME!!

And with everything said, he improved drastically as the season went on. By the time the playoffs came around, he was in the right spot every time he needed to be. Sure, he didn't always make the tackle, but he slowed down the play enough to let the troops rally. Pretty sure he was the spy on Jenkins down in Frisco. That's a big responsibility for a true freshman. He made one mistake. He's only going to get better, bigger, faster, stronger.

DM05
07-22-2016, 04:53 PM

He was a true freshman free safety, who came in and in one fall camp had a better grasp of what the coaches wanted out of a SS than other guys who had been here for multiple years, and was able to play in the most physical conference in FCS. If the potential to light people up and be intimidating was a job requirement for the SS in our system, Chris Board would be entrenched in that spot. But there is a reason he couldn't see the field and got moved to LB.

If Darren Kelley comes in and beats him out, so be it but Grimsley will be fine. A year with Kramer will add 10 pounds and he is a year more experienced.

OrygunBison
07-22-2016, 05:52 PM
I was pretty hard on Grimsly throughout the season when he'd fly in but then wiff on a tackle but the dude really improved and was clutch by the time it mattered most. He was excellent during the NC game, spying their QB and getting more than one TFL, if i remember correctly.

bison_by_blood
07-22-2016, 08:27 PM
It's pretty much impossible to learn safety in our defense in your first year. Robbie had to do it on the fly, with rookie mistakes that usually happen in practice, being magnified in games. He got better every game last year. No reason to think he won't continue to grow and be a leader in 2 years.

ndsubison1
07-23-2016, 02:40 AM

Not sure if serious?

ndsubison1
07-23-2016, 02:45 AM
Grimsley was pretty solid in the playoffs. We have been spoiled with what we had before.

56BISON73
07-23-2016, 03:08 AM

YOU said he avoided contact numerous times.Dove out of the way. Prove it. Show us the film that you keep saying you broke down.

56BISON73
07-23-2016, 03:10 AM
Not sure if serious?

Remember this is the idiot that said Vraa was going to get drafted.

GOBISON123
07-23-2016, 04:54 AM
You dont even have to watch last years video, just listen to the audio and you will hear the ESPN commentators calling Grimsley, Board and co for either a bad tackle, being out of position, getting caught off guard or poor angle of pursuit. Agreed it was his first year. Cannot wait for Chuck South game to see how much , if, our back four have improved.

Alsen
07-23-2016, 08:44 AM
Remember this is the idiot that said Vraa was going to get drafted.

I really don't understand the Vraa hate....Bison all time leading receiver and you disrespect him like this. Who are you sheeple??

I didn't guarantee Vraa getting drafted. I said he would be in somebody's camp. I still think he should be at KC.

I did, adamantly, say he should be drafted. He isn't just a good WR, he is elite at absolutely every aspect of the game. Yah, a 4.4 forty would have been nice, but it isn't like he ran a 4.7. He is a decent enough athlete and super smart with elite character and work ethic.

Everybody in the world knew that it was going to take a small miracle for a six year guy with plates in both collar bones to get a shot.

Vraa was truly an elite player and belongs in the Bison Hall of Fame. Even if Grimsley improves as much or more than what some of the delusional people are posting, he will never hold a candle next to the blazing bonfire that is Zach Vraa.

BisoninNWMN
07-23-2016, 12:44 PM

You do not know shit!

He was a true freshman that made huge strides last year.

56BISON73
07-23-2016, 09:23 PM
I really don't understand the Vraa hate....Bison all time leading receiver and you disrespect him like this. Who are you sheeple??

I didn't guarantee Vraa getting drafted. I said he would be in somebody's camp. I still think he should be at KC.

I did, adamantly, say he should be drafted. He isn't just a good WR, he is elite at absolutely every aspect of the game. Yah, a 4.4 forty would have been nice, but it isn't like he ran a 4.7. He is a decent enough athlete and super smart with elite character and work ethic.

Everybody in the world knew that it was going to take a small miracle for a six year guy with plates in both collar bones to get a shot.

Vraa was truly an elite player and belongs in the Bison Hall of Fame. Even if Grimsley improves as much or more than what some of the delusional people are posting, he will never hold a candle next to the blazing bonfire that is Zach Vraa.

There is no hate for Vraa. Youre just full of shit.

BFKasper14
07-23-2016, 09:58 PM
There is no hate for Vraa. Youre just full of shit.

I second this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17>1
07-25-2016, 05:16 AM

1. There is zero Zach Vraa hate, just a realistic fan base that knew he probably didn't have what it takes to play at the next level. That takes nothing away from him as a great former Bison wide receiver. You want hate? Go back and read your comments about Grimsley, those are disparaging and disrespectful.
2. Grimsley doesn't need to ever hold a candle to anyone, especially a former wide receiver. He doesn't need to be compared to Heagle, or Dahl, Demp or Dudz. He needs to be Robbie Grimsley, and make his own name for himself. He needs to put the team first, try every day to improve, always try his best on the field, classroom, film room, weight room, etc. If he does that, and contributes to the code green defense this year, then a lot of people on this board will be happy with that.
3. So, Vraa wasn't just a good WR, he was elite at absolutely every aspect of the game, but he didn't run a 4.4, but he also didn't run a 4.7, but he's a decent enough athlete, and everybody in the world knew that it was going to take a small miracle for a guy with a history of injuries to get a shot, and you think he should be in KC because he's truly an elite player who belongs in an FCS* schools hall of fame? This picture you've painted sounds like a guy the NFL sure missed on, you better get a hold of the Chiefs GM.

*no hate on the FCS #butFCS

DM05
07-28-2016, 01:00 PM
Haven't seen this posted anywhere, but Ian Gallagher is no longer listed on the roster. Any info on if/why he left?

Looks like Koonce will be the only punter on the team. Did Izzo say something about James Fisher being a decent punter? Would be nice to have some sort of competition in fall camp...

IzzyFlexion
07-28-2016, 01:14 PM
Haven't seen this posted anywhere, but Ian Gallagher is no longer listed on the roster. Any info on if/why he left?

Looks like Koonce will be the only punter on the team. Did Izzo say something about James Fisher being a decent punter? Would be nice to have some sort of competition in fall camp...

Good Lord. Another special teams concern.
gobson.com's James Fisher bio notes that he started at Quarterback and linebacker for Bloomington Jefferson and was also an all-conference baseball player there. So, it appears that he's most certainly an athlete. But if he's called upon to punt.............................................. .................who snaps it to him?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
http://nick.mtvnimages.com/nick/promos-thumbs/flipbooks/fairly-oddparents/fop-why-freaking-out-13.gif

gumby013
07-28-2016, 01:18 PM
Good Lord. Another special teams concern.
gobson.com's James Fisher bio notes that he started at Quarterback and linebacker for Bloomington Jefferson and was also an all-conference baseball player there. So, it appears that he's most certainly an athlete. But if he's called upon to punt.............................................. .................who snaps it to him?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Something like this....but football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbFnblUbeS0

mtoutfitter
07-28-2016, 01:50 PM
Thanks for that......can't beat Bugs Bunny. Had to watch the whole thing!

aces1180
07-28-2016, 01:54 PM

Well, he got in trouble last year, maybe it was a mutual decision?

17>1
07-28-2016, 02:16 PM

I'm having a hard time keeping up with this kids status. First he gets in trouble and is gone, then he's back, and now he isn't listed on the roster. I'm fine with Koonce being the man. And then maybe we'll find someone else to be a backup punter, like a 6'7" kid that was recruited to be a WR...or a running back turned punter for his senior season, both of those situations turned out ok ;)

Mr. Burgundy
07-28-2016, 03:29 PM
Ian...Gone. Koonce is really solid. Drago loves him, I think he knows punting. I am not worried in the least about punting. Will he be an all American? Who knows. He has punted a lot at a high level, I have expectations that with our coaching he will do a great job. Our punt coverage is lights out. It is part of our defense. Are we really worried about backup punter? Jeez guys. #5straighttitleprobs

17>1
07-28-2016, 04:14 PM
Ian...Gone. Koonce is really solid. Drago loves him, I think he knows punting. I am not worried in the least about punting. Will he be an all American? Who knows. He has punted a lot at a high level, I have expectations that with our coaching he will do a great job. Our punt coverage is lights out. It is part of our defense. Are we really worried about backup punter? Jeez guys. #5straighttitleprobs

I suppose there could've been a little purple to my post. I hate mentioning specific injuries to any team group, but football is football and they do happen. I'm excited to see Koonce in action, and hoping Pederson continues to gain confidence and leg strength.

DM05
07-28-2016, 04:15 PM

Not worried about a backup. Punter is an unknown commodity to start the year. Koonce average 6 yards less than LeCompte and didn't kickoff at SMU. Cam kicked off once. Glad to hear he is solid and Drago loves him, just saying that a little competition in fall camp is not a bad thing.

bri-dog
07-28-2016, 04:18 PM
The roster now lists Cam at 192#, up from 170#. Hopefully that will lead to more leg strength...

bisonaudit
07-28-2016, 04:23 PM
The roster now lists Cam at 192#, up from 170#. Hopefully that will lead to more leg strength...

22 lbs. Once they stock the refueling station look out Sebastian Janikowski. :)

IzzyFlexion
07-28-2016, 04:42 PM

I don't think that it's unreasonable to worry some about the kicking game. However, if Dragosavich is on board regarding Koonce......well then, yeah......That eases the anxiety for me.

Christopher Moen
07-28-2016, 04:54 PM
22 lbs. Once they stock the refueling station look out Sebastian Janikowski. :)

I think Mr. Janikowski adheres to a different type of refueling station.

http://broncotalk.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/tx_janikowski.jpg

Bison56
07-28-2016, 06:24 PM

Where are you coaching at?

bri-dog
08-01-2016, 01:51 PM
Where are you coaching at?

I posted earlier that Cam was up from 170# to 192#; that has been updated.

Now 198. He did grow an inch, though... :eeek:

17>1
08-17-2016, 04:20 PM
Someone mentioned Perkins being back this year to return punts, but who else do you think will be back there to help out? Remember how last year, CJ would be back there on the balls that were most likely going to be a fair catch? It's gotta be someone with good hands and a smart kid too, gotta let those balls behind the 10 go into the endzone.

bisonaudit
08-17-2016, 04:23 PM
Someone mentioned Perkins being back this year to return punts, but who else do you think will be back there to help out? Remember how last year, CJ would be back there on the balls that were most likely going to be a fair catch? It's gotta be someone with good hands and a smart kid too, gotta let those balls behind the 10 go into the endzone.

I was under the impression that they used CJ when they wanted to keep the defense on the field, though that may correlate strongly with fair catch situations as you're electing not to set up a return.

17>1
08-17-2016, 04:36 PM
I was under the impression that they used CJ when they wanted to keep the defense on the field, though that may correlate strongly with fair catch situations as you're electing not to set up a return.

Good point, I didn't think of it like that. So maybe one of the 4 guys in the secondary could drop back in those situations? Maybe it'll be Allison.

17>1
08-17-2016, 06:20 PM
Good point, I didn't think of it like that. So maybe one of the 4 guys in the secondary could drop back in those situations? Maybe it'll be Allison.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/bison-video-blog-fall-camp-2016-day-17-update/

Perkins, Sheppard, Williams & Bridges in the mix for punt returns, per Kolpack.

aces1180
08-22-2016, 05:12 PM
Cole Davis is the holder...Oh boy!

17>1
08-22-2016, 05:19 PM
Cam handling kickoffs.

ndsubison1
08-22-2016, 05:36 PM

yes and i believe he was used in punt safe