PDA

View Full Version : When Did The Fargo Loaf Get Loud?

thebigund
07-21-2016, 03:08 AM
Obviously the Loaf has been deafening for quite a few years now but I want to know the game that sparked it. Was it a game? A couple games? I know it wasn't always the great atmosphere it is now, I was at a couple games before and was at the UND game last year and there was a massive difference. I'm curious because the new Englestad arena used to have a terrible atmosphere. Then there was a crazy game against Denver and the atmosphere has been great ever since.

ByeSonBusiness
07-21-2016, 03:11 AM
2010 - Robert Morris playoff game was pretty loud for the small contingent there to witness. May have been the beginning.

2011 - UNI game. Don't recall if it was 1 vs. 2 or 2 vs. 3. That was rocking.

scottietohottie
07-21-2016, 03:20 AM
2011 uni game. I couldn't talk for a week.

Mr Meaty
07-21-2016, 03:22 AM
2010 - Robert Morris playoff game was pretty loud for the small contingent there to witness. May have been the beginning.

2011 - UNI game. Don't recall if it was 1 vs. 2 or 2 vs. 3. That was rocking.

2011 UNI game yes.

HerdBot
07-21-2016, 03:24 AM
It's been super loud going back to the last game of the 2006 season vs SDSU. I would say the game that took it to bat shut crazy proportions was the first playoff game in 2010 and since then it's been a different level of crazy

KilldeerBison
07-21-2016, 03:38 AM
I remember Bohl instigating the fans, on his weekly television show. There had been some tension with the dome security, fans were being admonished for standing, yelling and general rowdy behavior. Bohl encouraged fans to stand up, get out of your seat and yell! It worked, I give Bohl a healthy share of credit. He was like the guy that took the lid off of a boiling pot.

80ALUM
07-21-2016, 03:51 AM
Disrespecting the name of the home of the Bison does not deserve comment.

1998braves64
07-21-2016, 11:15 AM
I think minus some of the SDSU games the 2010 Robert Morris game showed the crazies that they could make alot of noise and if the got 5,000 more to join them it would be deafening. The 2011 UNI game was the execution of it. Around same time Bohl gave us free rein to be crazy.
Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

scottietohottie
07-21-2016, 12:53 PM
I was crazy before crazy was cool.

tjbison
07-21-2016, 12:56 PM
2007 vs SHSU last play

other than that undie needs to go back to his potato barn in El sucko, and what type of smack is calling the Fargodome the Fargo Loaf supposed to mean?? makes no sense

scottietohottie
07-21-2016, 01:08 PM
2007 vs SHSU last play

That last play taught all the sitters on third down not to leave early. The church sitters or whatever bohl called them lol. Those 5000 at Robert Morris where probably all watching the shsu comeback not heading out of dome.

Something changed for me at uni 2011. Everyone got it from there.

I also flip off the parking garage building that is attached to the south side of Canada hotel every time I drive through gf unless it's December then I point and laugh that it's closed so I can post in this thread the title really doesn't bother me.

PattyBison
07-21-2016, 01:24 PM
I think minus some of the SDSU games the 2010 Robert Morris game showed the crazies that they could make alot of noise and if the got 5,000 more to join them it would be deafening. The 2011 UNI game was the execution of it. Around same time Bohl gave us free rein to be crazy.
Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

The other thing about Robert Morris is that was that weird game where they thought they couldn't do any "home field" type stuff. So, the crowd got into it without the "assistance" of the announcer, videos, etc.

TransAmBison
07-21-2016, 01:45 PM
The other thing about Robert Morris is that was that weird game where they thought they couldn't do any "home field" type stuff. So, the crowd got into it without the "assistance" of the announcer, videos, etc.It was a different type of crowd...it was the first time the sit and be quiet crowd didn't have the upper hand. It was a night game and people were there to party.

That, and a whole new generation of fans realized how much fun home playoff games can be.

Bison03
07-21-2016, 02:05 PM
There have been lots of loud moments in the dome era. But there is no doubt in my mind when it officially was ok to stand up and get loud on every play. 2011 UNI. Bohl gave to order, Bison Nation followed those orders. If we wanted to be the best and the class of the Valley, we had to beat the best and the class of the Valley. Not only was that when the dome crowd got their balls, it marked the beginning of the changing of the guard of thr power structure in the conference that we have enjoyed the past 5 years.

thundarsdaddy
07-21-2016, 02:11 PM
To me it started with the 2006 SDSU game. Then the SHSU game in 2007, with of course the ending, but yet it started in pregame with the students yelling at SHSU QB Rhett Bomar..."Sooner Reject", which got the crowd fired up right away!

But as many have said, thanks to Coach Bohl's encouragement, the 2011 UNI game, from start to finish and its been bat-shit crazy ever since!

IBleedYellow
07-21-2016, 02:18 PM
That Robert Morris game will always stick with me...

When you walked in there was a spark and electric feeling in the air. Those that were there WANTED to be there - and were ready to party. It was still insanely good atmosphere for that game and we didn't do anything that we normally do with the home field. Those that were loud were doing it on their own - and it was awesome. We probably won't recreate that ever.

Also - Sam Houston State in 2007. OH BABY!

TNbison
07-21-2016, 02:22 PM
The hair on my arms stands up when I start thinking about these games. Man I love Bison football

wagsabison
07-21-2016, 02:25 PM
2011 UNI and the anticipation of what that season could bring due to the success the previous year. Playoff success helped put fuel to the fire making the crowd feel like they were a part of the teams success.

Bison Loaf
07-21-2016, 02:28 PM
Disrespecting the name of the home of the Bison does not deserve comment.

.........and what type of smack is calling the Fargodome the Fargo Loaf supposed to mean?? makes no sense

I also flip off the parking garage building that is attached to the south side of Canada hotel every time I drive through gf unless it's December then I point and laugh that it's closed so I can post in this thread the title really doesn't bother me.

In case you are wondering about my own fragile emotions, I am NOT offended at the lame, attempted smack in the title (sniffle, sniffle).

I am, however, a little surprised that Tony and the Mod Squad (who do a wonderful job, btw, and I love them to death :biggrin:) allow it to remain in a Thread Title, especially in the Football Forum.

There is always going to be occasional smack drift within the body of any football thread (or any other thread, for that matter) and that's to be expected (and many times, greatly enjoyed). Hell, the mods would be moving almost EVERY Football Thread into the Smack Forum if that weren't the case. But............ I'll admit it does seem just a little odd to allow it to remain a part of a title in a "serious" Football Thread. JMHO.

17>1
07-21-2016, 02:30 PM
Is GeauxSioux/BigUndie the new Gabe/Bot around here? How many threads is this guy going to start?

How about we start with, when did the tin shed become quiet? Was it ever loud?

BisonNation11
07-21-2016, 02:46 PM
Is GeauxSioux/BigUndie the new Gabe/Bot around here? How many threads is this guy going to start?

Considering it's a tin shed, it's never quiet. But since the roar of silence is so loud, it drowns out any celebratory noise for what, I'm not sure.

Bison Loaf
07-21-2016, 02:51 PM
Oh, and as for the loudness, some of you may not know that the Dome was loud from the beginning!

IIRC, the Dome opener against Pittsburg State in 1993 was "packed" and buzzing with excitement and loud (although you could hear a pin drop when Arden Beachy went down for the season).

Unfortunately, that atmosphere was not able to be sustained consistently going forward. For me, Sam Houston was a turning point in loudness, but that was situational in nature and a lot of people (and I mean ALOT of people) had left before the final thrilling finish (it still was loud, however, even with the absence of the unbelievers)! Admittedly, the sustainability was still lacking, but much better after that. A start of a spark.

Ultimately, however, I agree with many of you to say that Robert Morris was the true start of something different in my mind. The first playoff game in the Dome, and the (relatively smaller) crowd of faithful came to be HERD..............and then, with the further reinforcing of their "revolutionary movement" with the UNI game in 2011............. have been HERD ever since!

tjbison
07-21-2016, 02:57 PM
we were pretty loud at the 2010 Montana St playoff game also

scottietohottie
07-21-2016, 03:04 PM

Loud enough that they didn't want to come to the dome.
That's what I think about every time someone talks about Robert morris. The ass kicking the next weekend. Plus I must have been wasted for robert morris those memories are fuzzy. Probably the day the legend of tohottie was born in my old seats. I've always wanted to go back to those seats and yell at everyone fire them up again. No need to fire up the north endzone they get it.

thebigund
07-21-2016, 03:15 PM
Was the 2011 UNI game a really good one or controversial one?

IBleedYellow
07-21-2016, 03:19 PM
Do we need to make a few and proud club of those of us who didn't leave before the Sam Houston comeback?

scottietohottie
07-21-2016, 03:31 PM

It was the changing of the guard in the valley. First time we beat uni. Halloween weekend harvest bowl. The good old days when you could get drunk by the trunk of a car and sit in the grass if you wanted to. I don't like all that concrete they got now a barstool is much better. Crazies owned Fargo that day and night. Least that's how I recall it.

Christopher Moen
07-21-2016, 03:55 PM
Considering it's a tin shed, it's never quiet. But since the roar of silence is so loud, it drowns out any celebratory noise for what, I'm not sure.

It's amazing how much noise the metal makes in here. Right now we have about 4,000 people in the FargoDome for a wrestling tournament with music playing. Loud, but not crazy loud. While this is happening, the low, deep-bass rumbling sound the building is making due to the drilling they are doing to lay HD cabling is amazing. Yesterday, it was drowning out the sound of the tournament.

MNLonghorn10
07-21-2016, 04:21 PM
It was a different type of crowd...it was the first time the sit and be quiet crowd didn't have the upper hand. It was a night game and people were there to party.

That, and a whole new generation of fans realized how much fun home playoff games can be.
Party and get arrested

thebigund
07-21-2016, 04:31 PM

The Alerus got it's noise in the 2001 playoffs. It was louder than any stadium I've ever been in for the UC Davis semi. It lost any and all noise and atmosphere with the loss to Sioux Falls in 2009..... And the 2011 win against Drake when we had the worst offense to watch in the history of football and those students didn't forget because they never came back..... annd the 55-17 loss to Montana at home in 2013..... annnd the 63-20 loss the next week at home to Montana St the first game I ever walked out on..... annnnd the 5 home losses in 2013..... annnnnnd mostly because of hiring Mussman and giving him a glorified D2 budget while focusing on fighting the good fight to save the sioux nickname So I guess you could say it was a bit of a process. It's going to take some serious success this season to get the away side seats to begin to fill up again.

HandoEX
07-21-2016, 04:35 PM
Party and get arrested

This is the only Robert Morris game memory. #FreeEZ

Mr. Burgundy
07-21-2016, 04:35 PM

I am with you....being we have played twice amount of games as other schools, it does get confusing. I am always asking myself who we played in the semi finals of that year, or when did we play them? Which years did we beat SDSU twice? Things just get confusing to me when our seniors play 60 games.

TransAmBison
07-21-2016, 04:54 PM
I am with you....being we have played twice amount of games as other schools, it does get confusing. I am always asking myself who we played in the semi finals of that year, or when did we play them? Which years did we beat SDSU twice? Things just get confusing to me when our seniors play 60 games.You've been on a roll lately...

NDSU1980
07-21-2016, 05:10 PM
The Alerus got it's noise in the 2001 playoffs. It was louder than any stadium I've ever been in for the UC Davis semi. It lost any and all noise and atmosphere with the loss to Sioux Falls in 2009..... And the 2011 win against Drake when we had the worst offense to watch in the history of football and those students didn't forget because they never came back..... annd the 55-17 loss to Montana at home in 2013..... annnd the 63-20 loss the next week at home to Montana St the first game I ever walked out on..... annnnd the 5 home losses in 2013..... annnnnnd mostly because of hiring Mussman and giving him a glorified D2 budget while focusing on fighting the good fight to save the sioux nickname So I guess you could say it was a bit of a process. It's going to take some serious success this season to get the away side seats to begin to fill up again.

It's funny how 2001 is the only thing UN_ football can hang their hat on. But 2001.

17>1
07-21-2016, 05:18 PM

Come to the loaf sometime during an actual competitive game, not a rout of UN_.

Bison Loaf
07-21-2016, 05:32 PM
The good news, however, amidst all this delicious Fargo Dome crowd noise talk.............is that I actually was able to get a lot of my knitting done during last year's blowout win over UND. Had quite a backlog building up.

Expecting to get the same opportunity against the Big Sky again this year.

EndZoneQB
07-21-2016, 05:34 PM
Party and get arrested

This is the only Robert Morris game memory. #FreeEZ

You're welcome for being the martyr. How many of you have had security issues since this happened?

stevdock
07-21-2016, 05:37 PM
I'm going to disagree with you guys a little bit. Yes SHSU was loud at the end, especially considering how many people left. My son was indoctrinated and really understood Bison football for the first time that day. Robert Morris was so much fun as you guys said because it was all the fans. UNI was loud at moments but it wasn't the constant rumble it is today. I would say the first Georgia Southern game was where it consistently started and hasn't really stopped other than a couple bumps in the road. Whoever we played the game before we were constantly yelled at to sit down. After a while, I calmly turned around and told them I want to see my team play next week and I'm here to help that happen.

Even saying that we will always have our "quieter" games. South Dakota was that last year. We started out loud especially after going up either 10-0 or 14-0 and then everyone (myself included) sat down and just didn't make as much noise. That was a wake-up call not just for the team, but for the fans also I thought.

THEsocalledfan
07-21-2016, 05:50 PM
I have to agree with Patty, TAB and others that Robert Morris was a turning point. All us nutty folks had pretty good seats and the knitters stayed home since Thanksgiving weekend. I bet there was only 12-14K there, but it was by far the loudest game I'd been to in all my years being there since 1993. I suspect season tickets saw a flood after that run which helped balance out the knitting faction. Then, we beat MN soundly, and that UNI game was the first regular season game with the intensity of the RM game. Rest is history.

I will saw, I have never, ever seen a small group of fans generate as much noise as what we did in Manhattan. That will always have a special spot in my heart. I will never forget watching Brock plunge in for the winning TD. Get tears even thinking about it. Damn, I want to do that again in Iowa City.....

17>1
07-21-2016, 06:09 PM

...and EWU as well.

17>1
07-21-2016, 06:15 PM
I have to agree with Patty, TAB and others that Robert Morris was a turning point. All us nutty folks had pretty good seats and the knitters stayed home since Thanksgiving weekend. I bet there was only 12-14K there, but it was by far the loudest game I'd been to in all my years being there since 1993. I suspect season tickets saw a flood after that run which helped balance out the knitting faction. Then, we beat MN soundly, and that UNI game was the first regular season game with the intensity of the RM game. Rest is history.

I will saw, I have never, ever seen a small group of fans generate as much noise as what we did in Manhattan. That will always have a special spot in my heart. I will never forget watching Brock plunge in for the winning TD. Get tears even thinking about it. Damn, I want to do that again in Iowa City.....

I think every one of us that were there actually believed that when we got the ball back with 9 something to play, that the Bison were going to go down and take the lead. I just don't think any of us thought it would take about 9 minutes to do it. The slow, methodical pace of that drive (and all the pregame hype about the KSU program and it's history; underdog factor) only caused the anticipated roar to build up inside us. It was like a slow burning fuse, and it was like a bomb when it went off.

THEsocalledfan
07-21-2016, 06:28 PM
I think every one of us that were there actually believed that when we got the ball back with 9 something to play, that the Bison were going to go down and take the lead. I just don't think any of us thought it would take about 9 minutes to do it. The slow, methodical pace of that drive (and all the pregame hype about the KSU program and it's history; underdog factor) only caused the anticipated roar to build up inside us. It was like a slow burning fuse, and it was like a bomb when it went off.

Could not have stated it better.

IBleedYellow
07-21-2016, 06:46 PM

Best way to state it. I remember it so vividly. Being in that awesome blob of yellow in the endzone. When we got the ball there were murmors "here we go - let's make this take some time!" "It's time for a classic BISON DRIVE!"

Then Brock crashed in for the TD and I've never heard a place so loud. I honestly stood there for about 5 seconds and just listened. So. Much. Noise.

HandoEX
07-21-2016, 06:51 PM
To me it started with the 2006 SDSU game.

That was the first super loud game that I can remember at the Dome. 2008-2009 regular season killed the noise but it was loud as heck for SDSU in 2010 too.

Bison03
07-21-2016, 10:59 PM
Loudest single moment had to be in the 2012 semi vs gsu, on defense after they got the ball back when Brock scored the go ahead td. I was screaming at thr person next to me and they couldnt hear me.

EC8CH
07-21-2016, 11:06 PM
Got pretty loud after the infamous Farley ghost whistle call.

BFKasper14
07-21-2016, 11:10 PM
Got pretty loud after the infamous Farley ghost whistle call.

Yeah this was the loudest I've heard it since GSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No_Skill
07-21-2016, 11:14 PM
Do we need to make a few and proud club of those of us who didn't leave before the Sam Houston comeback?

In plus 1....

No_Skill
07-21-2016, 11:27 PM

Don't forget about their QB needing to take a TO on their first possession, backed up to our end of the field.

56BISON73
07-21-2016, 11:37 PM
First GSU game. No doubt about it. Nothing before it came close.

ndsubison1
07-22-2016, 02:37 AM
2010 Spring game

Bison Loaf
07-22-2016, 01:15 PM
2010 Spring game

.....................and it's not even close.

Milkman
07-25-2016, 06:39 AM
When did the the Fargo Dome get loud? On the 6th day.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

wtffootballfan
07-25-2016, 12:05 PM
2010 Spring game

I went to 2 games in 2010 and you could here the crickets chirping. It was so quiet. I kept getting yelled at for standing up and cheering. I was so surprised how it changed in 2011.

Herd Mentality
07-25-2016, 04:32 PM
1993 Home Opener with Pitt State...which also had the quietest moment in FargoDome history.

Bison56
07-25-2016, 04:45 PM
First GSU game. No doubt about it. Nothing before it came close.

^This

It was the first time I saw a team so rattled by the noise, also the second GSU game when Brock ran it in, it was as loud as I have ever heard it.