PDA

View Full Version : Fresno State Joining the BIG XII???

Gladiator Dad
07-07-2016, 01:35 PM
I saw this on a CA Forum and I listened to the Takedown Radio Broadcast and Coach Steiner stated that they are indeed looking to move into the BIG XII. he interview picks up at about 1 hour 15-16 minutes into the show.

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/takedown-wrestling/e/45168463?autoplay=true

Talk about a coast to coast conference if this would happen. In the interview Coach Steiner said that the BIG XII was looking to add up to two more teams. I have heard rumors that UNI or Mizzou would like to come back the conference. I know of those two teams it's more likely UNI since most of the BIG XII ADs are still not happy about Mizzou departing for the SEC.

HerdBot
07-07-2016, 04:06 PM
Would be great for the conference

Big Bird
07-07-2016, 10:16 PM
This will make the B12 better, but I was hoping they would go to the PAC10. I know ASU is improving, but the rest of that conference isn't good.

BisonTru
07-07-2016, 10:40 PM
I saw this on a CA Forum and I listened to the Takedown Radio Broadcast and Coach Steiner stated that they are indeed looking to move into the BIG XII. he interview picks up at about 1 hour 15-16 minutes into the show.

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/takedown-wrestling/e/45168463?autoplay=true

Talk about a coast to coast conference if this would happen. In the interview Coach Steiner said that the BIG XII was looking to add up to two more teams. I have heard rumors that UNI or Mizzou would like to come back the conference. I know of those two teams it's more likely UNI since most of the BIG XII ADs are still not happy about Mizzou departing for the SEC.

I'm assuming you're talking Nebraska not UNI? Also it seems Nebraska and Missouri are happy where there at, but you might have a better idea living where you do. I have heard Cincinnati and Memphis as two of the more likely Big12 expansion candidates.

coldspot
07-07-2016, 11:00 PM
I'm assuming you're talking Nebraska not UNI? Also it seems Nebraska and Missouri are happy where there at, but you might have a better idea living where you do. I have heard Cincinnati and Memphis as two of the more likely Big12 expansion candidates.
Talking wrestling conference affiliation, not all sports

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

RadioBison
07-07-2016, 11:38 PM
Talk about a coast to coast conference if this would happen.

It still feels to me like we are in the WWC with the exception of the West Regional , which now has a few more teams. I hope we get more integrated with the Big XII, but I still have my doubts. If the conference expands to be more even widespread, I think it would be hard to change the status quo.

BisonTru
07-07-2016, 11:53 PM
Talking wrestling conference affiliation, not all sports

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My bad. I was on my phone, didn't notice what section this was in.

Tony Almeida
07-08-2016, 03:04 AM
It still feels to me like we are in the WWC with the exception of the West Regional , which now has a few more teams. I hope we get more integrated with the Big XII, but I still have my doubts. If the conference expands to be more even widespread, I think it would be hard to change the status quo.
I agree...Also, I hope we aren't just a "filler" until the bigger schools come calling to join the BIG XII...

Sweepsingle
07-10-2016, 05:29 PM
A-fill-idiot....I will say it again....The WWC got vanboozled by the Big 12 or is it really 4...they needed the extra qualifying spots and stole them from WWC with the promise of more inclusion and dual meet opportunities. It will be a cold day in Fargo when OSU, Okie, and ISU travel to the WWC schools on a regular basis.

Recruiting help by being an A-fill-idiot? Don't see it helping much...even when Iowa bumps two top tier kids from their scholarship offers....the only school that has a shot at them is OSU...not the dsu's of the WWC. You pick the N or S...the top kids are not going there.

sdsupride
07-10-2016, 10:30 PM
A-fill-idiot....I will say it again....The WWC got vanboozled by the Big 12 or is it really 4...they needed the extra qualifying spots and stole them from WWC with the promise of more inclusion and dual meet opportunities. It will be a cold day in Fargo when OSU, Okie, and ISU travel to the WWC schools on a regular basis.

Recruiting help by being an A-fill-idiot? Don't see it helping much...even when Iowa bumps two top tier kids from their scholarship offers....the only school that has a shot at them is OSU...not the dsu's of the WWC. You pick the N or S...the top kids are not going there.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CmsI3PVUMAAKlHU.jpg

Must be rather warm in Brookings.. We had OSU and WV in Brookings last year.

Christopher Moen
07-11-2016, 12:13 AM

Those teams will travel to Fargo during the winter, so you are correct about it being a "cold day." A road trip for any of those teams would consist of wrestling SDSU, NDSU and maybe, Minnesota during an end of week competition.

Keep in mind how many DI teams there are in wrestling and that wrestling (like most niche sports) is not like FBS football where the bigger schools are going to look down upon the opportunity of getting competition for their team. For example, when I wrestled, the Goofers came to Fargo twice in the early part of the year. One was for the Bison Open and the second (usually the next weekend) for a dual meet. We never went Williams Arena/Sports Pavilion to compete against them. Also, the biggest crowd in BSA history was when Iowa came to town.

Christopher Moen
07-11-2016, 12:15 AM

Bono and Reader are doing good things there.

Gladiator Dad
07-11-2016, 03:07 PM
The NDSU scheule is not fully set as of yet but I can tell you that Iowa St will be the first wrestling dual at the new SHAC (as long as construction is completed by then).

HerdBot
07-11-2016, 03:56 PM

Nice lookin schedule.

Big Bird
07-11-2016, 05:05 PM
Nice lookin schedule.

Man, that SDSU schedule is great. Home duals vs Iowa, ISU, and Oklahoma, plus duals against WVU, OKSt, MN, VT. Plus they added a bunch of winnable D1 duals. The schedule even looks nice too. Can Bono just go away?

Also, NDSU needs to get on Flo...

Gladiator Dad
07-12-2016, 04:13 AM
By The Way, before we all jump on Sweepsingle too hard on his earlier statement, his point is valid if All of the New Big XII Members don't start working towards getting more than the Old WWC Members on their "Big XII" Schedule. I know that SDSU & NDSU are working towards that goal but I am not sure on the others to be honest. If they don't move towards that being the goal then his point will come to fruition. I still think it was a good move to join the Big XII but they have to continue to try and improve their schedules and their teams in order to compete with the original Big XII member schools.

Christopher Moen
07-12-2016, 05:14 AM
By The Way, before we all jump on Sweepsingle too hard on his earlier statement, his point is valid if All of the New Big XII Members don't start working towards getting more than the Old WWC Members on their "Big XII" Schedule. I know that SDSU & NDSU are working towards that goal but I am not sure on the others to be honest. If they don't move towards that being the goal then his point will come to fruition. I still think it was a good move to join the Big XII but they have to continue to try and improve their schedules and their teams in order to compete with the original Big XII member schools.

With Mark Branch at Wyoming, Troy Nickerson at UNC and Sam Barber at the USAFA, these schools shouldn't have any trouble having any of the five full-time Big-12 schools traveling West to Denver and getting three dual meets in a weekend. Of the old WWC schools, Utah Valley is the only one that worries me about their ability to get home dual meets with other schools.

RadioBison
07-13-2016, 12:00 AM
With Mark Branch at Wyoming, Troy Nickerson at UNC and Sam Barber at the USAFA, these schools shouldn't have any trouble having any of the five full-time Big-12 schools traveling West to Denver and getting three dual meets in a weekend. Of the old WWC schools, Utah Valley is the only one that worries me about their ability to get home dual meets with other schools.

If the conference would coordinate efforts, most teams have a pretty logical travel partner. You could have NDSU/SDSU, WYO/UNC, UVU/AFA, OU/OSU. That leaves ISU/WVU. Now if Missouri and WVU were still in their more natural conferences, we would really have something to work with.