PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Verbal: Holden Hotchkiss

Jay
07-07-2016, 02:29 AM
6'4" 205 | QB | Lakeland, Fla

Offers: Florida A&M, Arkansas Pine Bluff

Commitment article ($): http://www.scout.com/college/north-dakota-state/story/1684231-florida-qb-hotchkiss-commits-to-ndsu

http://www.scout.com/player/197627-holden-hotchkiss/recruiting?year=2016&s=564

Blessed to say I'm committed to play for North Dakota state!

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3809744/5721cb1bc124573b54712718

https://youtu.be/hy3eCiOS5sI

Herd890
07-07-2016, 02:31 AM
Wow....Lakeland is a huge program. I believe same high school as Trey Dempsey. Big kid and appears to have a great arm and athletisism. It's good to be on top.....

EC8CH
07-07-2016, 02:38 AM
Hope Holden brings the same drive and determination Dempsey brought with him from Lakeland.

Christopher Moen
07-07-2016, 02:43 AM
Mechanics are pretty sound. From the waist up, he reminds me of Peyton Manning in regards to throwing. I say "waist up" because he lacks Peyton's happy-feet dance and moves around more smoothly (check first clip of this video link: http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3809744/5721cb1bc124573b54712718).

Christopher Moen
07-07-2016, 03:14 AM
Wow....Lakeland is a huge program. I believe same high school as Trey Dempsey. Big kid and appears to have a great arm and athletisism. It's good to be on top.....

Between Lakeland High School, Kathleen High School and Lake Gibson High School (all in Lakeland, FL), quite a few NFL and MLB players have come from these schools.

Notable professional athletes:
Ray Lewis
Freddie Mitchell
Maurkice Pouncey
Mike Pouncey
Chris Rainey
Rod "HE HATE ME" Smart
Chris Sale - Chicago White Sox pitcher
Lee Janzen - Golfer
Bilal Powell

On a personal note, I've had the opportunity to run a few wrestling events at the Lakeland Civic Center - a place that makes most any other venue I've been in look brand new.

El_Chapo
07-07-2016, 03:36 AM
Meh. Not much for offers and lets face facts. His WR James Robinson is going to Florida, Ohio St or Clemson....and he just chucks it up to him most times.
with Carson Wentz going #2 you'd think NDSU would be getting some big time QB's. Sorry to spit the truth

thebigund
07-07-2016, 05:26 AM
Mechanics are pretty sound. From the waist up, he reminds me of Peyton Manning in regards to throwing. I say "waist up" because he lacks Peyton's happy-feet dance and moves around more smoothly (check first clip of this video link: http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3809744/5721cb1bc124573b54712718).
I'll be honest with you, his throwing motion is nothing like Manning's.

Christopher Moen
07-07-2016, 05:53 AM
I'll be honest with you, his throwing motion is nothing like Manning's.

You must not have watched much of Peyton then. Compare how both hold the ball while going through their progressions and their motion to set up for a quick release.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qBCp0kIVsU8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southcliffbison
07-07-2016, 06:01 AM
Manning or not; welcome to the Herd, Mr. Hotchkiss.

Alsen
07-07-2016, 06:10 AM
Maybe he could talk James Robinson into coming with him.

HerdBot
07-07-2016, 07:35 AM
Kids really good in the short passing game. His passing skills fits our offense like a glove. Good size and has the frame to add weight. Great job by the coaching staff going down south to find talent. Congrats

Mr Meaty
07-07-2016, 10:06 AM
The kid is really excited to be a Bison. Welcome to the herd.

El_Chapo
07-07-2016, 11:21 AM
Maybe he could talk James Robinson into coming with him.

no doubt thats why his stats are inflated. James is going to Florida or Ohio St. with wentz going #2 youd think NDSU could set its sights higher with someone with netter offers!

steelbison
07-07-2016, 12:58 PM
Standout at our camp. Really like his size. Quick release and accuracy. Awesome job coaching staff!

thebigund
07-07-2016, 02:03 PM
You must not have watched much of Peyton then. Compare how both hold the ball while going through their progressions and their motion to set up for a quick release.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qBCp0kIVsU8

Similarities: they're both holding a football.

Christopher Moen
07-07-2016, 02:06 PM
Similarities: they're both holding a football.

Being dense isn't a gift.

thebigund
07-07-2016, 02:52 PM
Being dense isn't a gift.

Hotchkiss slings across the ball. The ball spins decently out of his hand and he finishes with a wrist flick across his body. Manning is straight down the pipe almost all triceps when he throws. That's why Manning is accurate with an often terrible spiral. I would also bet money that they use different grips on the ball based on how they throw.

Mr. Burgundy
07-07-2016, 02:59 PM
Several items in this thread: Lets start by not comparing a 17 year old kid who just had a thrill of a lifetime by committing to his college of choice to a hall of famer. Kids don't need added pressure. The kid is a bigtime leader at a huge school. They play a similar offense and he was a standout at camp. Who cares who he looks like or how he throws. He will get additional coaching. NDSU has a QB coach. (not always the case). NDSU has a tradition of player development, he will only get bigger, stronger, faster and develop his craft. He has tremendous size and ability. Also has that leadership characteristic you want in a quarterback. Welcome to NDSU! Glad he and his family enjoyed Fargo. This class is really looking amazing, and it always helps to have a QB on board! Impressed how the other recruits are recruiting others, supporting others...etc. special bunch being assembled. HOpe we finish strong.

mango
07-07-2016, 03:53 PM
Several items in this thread: Lets start by not comparing a 17 year old kid who just had a thrill of a lifetime by committing to his college of choice to a hall of famer. Kids don't need added pressure. The kid is a bigtime leader at a huge school. They play a similar offense and he was a standout at camp. Who cares who he looks like or how he throws. He will get additional coaching. NDSU has a QB coach. (not always the case). NDSU has a tradition of player development, he will only get bigger, stronger, faster and develop his craft. He has tremendous size and ability. Also has that leadership characteristic you want in a quarterback. Welcome to NDSU! Glad he and his family enjoyed Fargo. This class is really looking amazing, and it always helps to have a QB on board! Impressed how the other recruits are recruiting others, supporting others...etc. special bunch being assembled. HOpe we finish strong.

Crootin.

Seriously, looks like a really good get for NDSU.

Christopher Moen
07-07-2016, 04:27 PM

I will have to disagree on this. No pressure is being added by comparing how a developing player's mechanics looks similar to a well-accomplished player, regardless of sport. If anything, the developing player will take it as a compliment. No different than when I wrote that Henry Van Dellen reminded me of Aaron Rodgers.

Just about any developing player with sound mechanics is going to remind people of professional player. Now if I say a recruited QB's throwing skills remind me of Tebow, then there better be some added pressure to the staff member who recruited that kid to do better.

KC Bison
07-07-2016, 05:51 PM
Sure got a lot of plays on that highlight video. Could bring some of those receivers along with him.

ThunderDan
07-07-2016, 08:32 PM
Can we get like maybe....all of his receivers to commit as well?

mtoutfitter
07-07-2016, 08:42 PM
I know some people care about star rating and some don't but he's 3 star according to Rivals.

Tony Almeida
07-07-2016, 08:52 PM
Sure got a lot of plays on that highlight video. Could bring some of those receivers along with him.

Can we get like maybe....all of his receivers to commit as well?

This is what I was thinking as well.

Professor Chaos
07-07-2016, 09:00 PM
Kolpack had an interesting tweet on him earlier today: https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER/status/751113711549427713

Lakeland newspaper: Entering HS playoffs last year, Bison commit Holden Hotchkiss was 152 of 179 passing (85 percent) for 1,607 yards.

gumby013
07-07-2016, 10:36 PM
Not that I'm complaining, but how in the hell did we get a Lakeland pipeline established?

EC8CH
07-07-2016, 10:38 PM
Not that I'm complaining, but how in the hell did we get a Lakeland pipeline established?

Coach Austin appears to be the Florida recruiter, so it must start somewhere with him.

Christopher Moen
07-07-2016, 10:59 PM
Lakeland High School football has a nice YouTube page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPeTJ_ysaNZbpbr5TqrjNoQ

Honker
07-07-2016, 11:08 PM
Damn....can't wait to see how they develop this kid!

Bison'01
07-07-2016, 11:09 PM
Austin is from the Tampa area, Lakeland is just east of Tampa

No_Skill
07-07-2016, 11:10 PM
I know some people care about star rating and some don't but he's 3 star according to Rivals.

Did he drop to 2 after he committed to us?

jcdcubs
07-07-2016, 11:29 PM
He might be redshirt next year while Stick junior year. Looks like he is backup during Stick senior year. Starter after Stick.

westnodak93bison
07-07-2016, 11:31 PM
He might be redshirt next year while Stick junior year. Looks like he is backup during Stick senior year. Starter after Stick.
Henry may have something to say about that.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

thebigund
07-08-2016, 01:47 AM

Not so sure about that. The qb you guys have coming in this year looked pretty good.

NDSU1980
07-08-2016, 02:58 AM
I'm surprised he didn't have more offers considering the interest he had from the big schools. Of course, it's a good sign the Gophers looked at him and passed.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Holden-Hotchkiss-82640/RecruitInterests

tjbison
07-08-2016, 03:16 AM
I'm surprised he didn't have more offers considering the interest he had from the big schools. Of course, it's a good sign the Gophers looked at him and passed.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/Holden-Hotchkiss-82640/RecruitInterests

Who said they passed? Those are "interest" schools, kids I think can name whoever in there

CaBisonFan
07-08-2016, 03:50 AM
Welcome Holden !!!

EndZoneQB
07-08-2016, 03:52 AM
Not so sure about that. The qb you guys have coming in this year looked pretty good.

I agree, I was pretty impressed he signed with us. He sort of went under the radar, excited to see him put some pads on and sling it.

IzzyFlexion
07-08-2016, 07:36 PM
I'll tell ya what I'm gonna be "holden" Bisonville!!

http://cdn-r1.unilad.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/The-Simpsons.png

Rock
07-08-2016, 09:20 PM
I think that was Amanda

IzzyFlexion
07-08-2016, 10:09 PM
I think that was Amanda

Oh yeah..............good call.

tjbison
11-15-2016, 12:43 PM
I'd say my favorite part of the visit was just being around the people of Fargo, and they're so nice and respectful."
Hotchkiss wants NDSU fans to know he can't wait to be a Bison.
"I'm not going anywhere except North Dakota State. I can't wait to get up there and show everyone what I have. Y'all will get the best out of me in Fargo."

http://www.scout.com/college/north-dakota-state/story/1726965-ndsu-qb-commit-hotchkiss-enjoys-his-visit

Kid sounds exactly like what we need....

natstar1
11-15-2016, 03:39 PM
I'm not going anywhere except North Dakota State

I probably need to read the link, but did he say that because he's getting looks from bigger schools?

tolnabison
11-15-2016, 03:43 PM
I'm not going anywhere except North Dakota State

I probably need to read the link, but did he say that because he's getting looks from bigger schools?
A friend of mine is a huge Florida St. fan. He is very involved with the state of Florida recruiting and just recruiting in general. He has emailed many of the insiders on Rivals and Scout, and both replied to him that NDSU is getting a steal and would be shocked if a bunch of Sun Belt, MAC, or Conference USA schools don't offer him by the end of the recruiting process.

THEsocalledfan
11-15-2016, 05:39 PM
A friend of mine is a huge Florida St. fan. He is very involved with the state of Florida recruiting and just recruiting in general. He has emailed many of the insiders on Rivals and Scout, and both replied to him that NDSU is getting a steal and would be shocked if a bunch of Sun Belt, MAC, or Conference USA schools don't offer him by the end of the recruiting process.

Sound like it would have to be a P5 to have any hope of stealing him.

Alsen
11-16-2016, 12:09 AM

I would hate to see a QB controversy, but imo, this kid may be too good to keep on the bench. Stick better not get too comfortable his senior year.

SDbison
11-16-2016, 12:58 AM
I would hate to see a QB controversy, but imo, this kid may be too good to keep on the bench. Stick better not get too comfortable his senior year. Henry Van Dellen will provide great competition for Holden. Henry reminds me of Carson when he arrived at NDSU. And can't rule out James Hendricks if he sticks around.

TwinCityBison
11-16-2016, 01:05 AM
Henry Van Dellen will provide great competition for Holden. Henry reminds me of Carson when he arrived at NDSU. And can't rule out James Hendricks if he sticks around.
Are you speculating Henricks will transfer to D2 school

SDbison
11-16-2016, 02:24 AM
Are you speculating Henricks will transfer to D2 school
No speculation, just hope he isn't completely over looked and has a chance to compete. The best QB will rise to the top.

EndZoneQB
11-16-2016, 02:45 AM
Henry Van Dellen will provide great competition for Holden. Henry reminds me of Carson when he arrived at NDSU. And can't rule out James Hendricks if he sticks around.

Agreed. I am interested to see what is said about Van Dellen in a year, I really thought he might have been the biggest steal of our class. Not that it means anything, but it looks like we have some depth at the QB spot.