PDA

View Full Version : Twins game

HerdThat!
05-31-2016, 07:50 PM
For fellow BV'rs attending the Twinkies this weekend, the Bison football team will be recognized with the trophies and a highlight reel before the game, and then Klieman will be throwing the first pitch.

thebootfitter
05-31-2016, 07:59 PM
Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

CaBisonFan
05-31-2016, 08:04 PM
For fellow BV'rs attending the Twinkies this weekend, the Bison football team will be recognized with the trophies and a highlight reel before the game, and then Klieman will be throwing the first pitch.Which game...Friday?

HerdThat!
05-31-2016, 08:05 PM
Which game...Friday?

Sorry- Saturday afternoon game

CaBisonFan
05-31-2016, 08:06 PM
Sorry- Saturday afternoon game...thanks...

Professor Chaos
05-31-2016, 09:59 PM
Very cool!

A semi-interesting tidbit on Klieman is that he's one of only 7 head coaches to win multiple FCS national championships and it's a pretty big name list by FCS standards:

Roy Kidd, Eastern Kentucky (2)
Erk Russell, Georgia Southern (3)
Jim Tressel, Youngstown State (4)
Paul Johnson, Georgia Southern (2)
Jerry Moore, Appalachian State (3)
Craig Bohl, North Dakota State (3)
Chris Klieman, North Dakota State (2)

Shows how much he's accomplished in such a short time. A good chunk of those guys have stadiums/fields named after them or statues of them in the stadium.

El_Chapo
05-31-2016, 11:06 PM
This is a joke. Where was the last 4 title celebration days you ask? Oh that's right.....und hockey didn't win those years. Dave lil St. Peter isn't too transparent here . Only reason this is happening is because he had his previous d2 hockey day already. If I was NDSU ID SAY. oh where was our last 4 years. I'll be there but I'll be mad

THEsocalledfan
06-01-2016, 01:44 PM
Very cool!

A semi-interesting tidbit on Klieman is that he's one of only 7 head coaches to win multiple FCS national championships and it's a pretty big name list by FCS standards:

Roy Kidd, Eastern Kentucky (2)
Erk Russell, Georgia Southern (3)
Jim Tressel, Youngstown State (4)
Paul Johnson, Georgia Southern (2)
Jerry Moore, Appalachian State (3)
Craig Bohl, North Dakota State (3)
Chris Klieman, North Dakota State (2)

Shows how much he's accomplished in such a short time. A good chunk of those guys have stadiums/fields named after them or statues of them in the stadium.

Thing that is most exciting to me is this will now firmly be Coach K's team at this point. Even Stick, and others in that class were finalized under Coach K even though Bohl made the initial offers. coach K had to hold those guys which he did a marvelous job at.

TransAmBison
06-01-2016, 01:51 PM
Thing that is most exciting to me is this will now firmly be Coach K's team at this point. Even Stick, and others in that class were finalized under Coach K even though Bohl made the initial offers. coach K had to hold those guys which he did a marvelous job at.I know what you are saying, but with the way things went down I believe it was firmly his team right away.

perthbison
06-01-2016, 02:01 PM
I know what you are saying, but with the way things went down I believe it was firmly his team right away.

This^^^^^^^

ndsubison1
06-01-2016, 03:36 PM
Oh dang I will be in Shakopee this weekend. Might have to check out the game.

StL Bison Fan
06-01-2016, 04:22 PM
I know what you are saying, but with the way things went down I believe it was firmly his team right away.

watch the spider game. Even the espn guys said it was his team when Bohl was putting together his staff.

BisonFan02
06-01-2016, 06:25 PM
Looks like I will be there +1

THEsocalledfan
06-01-2016, 08:59 PM

But, he did not bring in those recruits which is my point. Wentz, for example, was a Bison due to Vigs/Bohl.

TransAmBison
06-01-2016, 09:02 PM
But, he did not bring in those recruits which is my point. Wentz, for example, was a Bison due to Vigs/Bohl.
Like I said, I know what you are saying. I look at it from a different point of view and say it was his team earlier than that even if he did not bring in the players. It wasn't like he was new to the team and didn't know them/possibly help recruit.

Tony Almeida
06-01-2016, 09:58 PM
I really want one of those baseball caps on August 9th!

BisonTeacher
06-01-2016, 10:06 PM
I really want one of those baseball caps on August 9th!

Me too but im not sure i can stomach paying for a twins ticket and having to watch a game to get one.

THEsocalledfan
06-02-2016, 01:06 PM
Like I said, I know what you are saying. I look at it from a different point of view and say it was his team earlier than that even if he did not bring in the players. It wasn't like he was new to the team and didn't know them/possibly help recruit.

I hear what you are saying, but we are talking about two different things. I am talking about recruiting and making final decisions on who to offer and bring in. Nothing more. And decision making is harder when you are actually sitting in the chair, not aiding the chair.

GRAFTONBISON
06-02-2016, 01:13 PM
Dave St. Peter is promoting the shit out of this event

TransAmBison
06-02-2016, 01:19 PM
I hear what you are saying, but we are talking about two different things. I am talking about recruiting and making final decisions on who to offer and bring in. Nothing more. And decision making is harder when you are actually sitting in the chair, not aiding the chair.So then it still isn't Coach K's team then...they still have players gotten during Bohl's time.

BisonFan02
06-02-2016, 01:23 PM
Well....section 129 (left field bleacher) for me plus 1 more. That's some Bison gear anyway. :rofl:

Mr Meaty
06-02-2016, 01:25 PM
I had a discussion about this event with some UND people the other night. I said is was funny how finally after we have won 5 titles in a row we get this recognition. But UND got it after winning their first in what 15 years. Their first comment was well their title is a D1 title not the second tier. I then had to explain to them that they play in the same level we do for football and also that Dave St. Peter is an UND grad and president of the Twins. Since he had to toot his horn about his school he better do it for NDSU AFTER 5 TITLES. The und fan base truly amazes me their overall lack of knowledge when they try and talk smack and smack themselves at the same time. But according to SiouxVolley they will be moving to FBS level football soon and NDSU will not matter anymore.

BisonTeacher
06-02-2016, 01:58 PM
I say let them think that way. Keeping them ignorant about their own situation is a good thing. Just keep telling them how great and important hockey is.

THEsocalledfan
06-02-2016, 02:25 PM
So then it still isn't Coach K's team then...they still have players gotten during Bohl's time.

Majority is now Coach K. Even Stick was a Coach K hold, etc.

TransAmBison
06-02-2016, 02:30 PM
Majority is now Coach K. Even Stick was a Coach K hold, etc.Majority makes the standard? Majority of team or just starters? Bustin' balls, bustin' balls. :D

Christopher Moen
06-02-2016, 02:40 PM
I had a discussion about this event with some UND people the other night. I said is was funny how finally after we have won 5 titles in a row we get this recognition. But UND got it after winning their first in what 15 years. Their first comment was well their title is a D1 title not the second tier. I then had to explain to them that they play in the same level we do for football and also that Dave St. Peter is an UND grad and president of the Twins. Since he had to toot his horn about his school he better do it for NDSU AFTER 5 TITLES. The und fan base truly amazes me their overall lack of knowledge when they try and talk smack and smack themselves at the same time. But according to SiouxVolley they will be moving to FBS level football soon and NDSU will not matter anymore.

Just remind them about the mighty DII and DIII schools that outnumber the DI schools in DI hockey.

TransAmBison
06-02-2016, 02:44 PM
Just remind them about the mighty DII and DIII schools that outnumber the DI schools in DI hockey.Highest level.

THEsocalledfan
06-02-2016, 02:46 PM
Majority makes the standard? Majority of team or just starters? Bustin' balls, bustin' balls. :D

Yeah, I think it does (and know you are bustin' balls). The three year mark is always a critical mark for a college coach. Why? Very hard to make any sensible argument about who's team it is at that point. Your point was very logical that it was his team much sooner, however, there still was the very logical recruiting argument against it. (Example; Very unlikely NDSU wins title for 2014 without Carson, and may not have won this year, either.) Now, I really think that argument starts to go away. Same for Coach Bohl in Wyoming, which is why it is so critical for them to show improvement this year. (I do tend to think his leaving may go down as one of the worst coaching moves ever for someone leaving NDSU as I just know if any coach can fix that mess.....)

Should also ad, this will also be the year that makes me the most nervous. I've heard nothing but good things about Coach K from folks who know him well, and he has been very nice to me in the 2 times I've chatted with him. But, winning, preferably over a long period of time, is the only objective way to know just how good a coach is. This is the season where I'll feel like I know for sure if we have a coach who will be as successful as Coach Bohl. I sure think so, but you just don't know.

17>1
06-02-2016, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I think it does (and know you are bustin' balls). The three year mark is always a critical mark for a college coach. Why? Very hard to make any sensible argument about who's team it is at that point. Your point was very logical that it was his team much sooner, however, there still was the very logical recruiting argument against it. (Example; Very unlikely NDSU wins title for 2014 without Carson, and may not have won this year, either.) Now, I really think that argument starts to go away. Same for Coach Bohl in Wyoming, which is why it is so critical for them to show improvement this year. (I do tend to think his leaving may go down as one of the worst coaching moves ever for someone leaving NDSU as I just know if any coach can fix that mess.....)

Should also ad, this will also be the year that makes me the most nervous. I've heard nothing but good things about Coach K from folks who know him well, and he has been very nice to me in the 2 times I've chatted with him. But, winning, preferably over a long period of time, is the only objective way to know just how good a coach is. This is the season where I'll feel like I know for sure if we have a coach who will be as successful as Coach Bohl. I sure think so, but you just don't know.

I hear what you're saying. I'd like to think the staff he has assembled will help him be a successful head coach. Sure, the head coach is the guy under the microscope, but we have a real solid group of coaches that are bought into the Bison way, and know the level of excellence that is expected of them as a whole. Also, this run we're on seems contagious. The players and the next man up do not want to let the banner slip or fall. We hear it all the time, Bison football is something special because they play as a team and for tradition, not as a bunch of individuals. I sat behind a bunch of recruits at the spring game and heard one of them mention they are already a tight knit bunch and communicate often. That only helps further down the road when the guy you're trying to beat out for a spot is your friend, not just a teammate.

El_Chapo
06-02-2016, 04:18 PM
Dave St. Peter is promoting the shit out of this event

Dave LIL Peter is a joke.. where was this celebration for the last 4 NDSU titles?? Oh yea, that's right, he had to wait until und won a title over Bemidji st, Mankato, st cloud, union, Quinnipiac..... this is SOO transparent and I wish NDSU would've told him to pound sand.

THEsocalledfan
06-02-2016, 05:01 PM
I hear what you're saying. I'd like to think the staff he has assembled will help him be a successful head coach. Sure, the head coach is the guy under the microscope, but we have a real solid group of coaches that are bought into the Bison way, and know the level of excellence that is expected of them as a whole. Also, this run we're on seems contagious. The players and the next man up do not want to let the banner slip or fall. We hear it all the time, Bison football is something special because they play as a team and for tradition, not as a bunch of individuals. I sat behind a bunch of recruits at the spring game and heard one of them mention they are already a tight knit bunch and communicate often. That only helps further down the road when the guy you're trying to beat out for a spot is your friend, not just a teammate.

You certainly can't discount the effect of tradition, not to mention, geographically, where Fargo is. (I've always had a hard time separating the tradition from the geography issue; I think they are so intertwined and created a perfect storm of success.) Yet, NDSU has had down years, even under Coach Bohl. You miss fire on a recruit or two, make poor decisions on assistant coaches, and things can go south fast. I think as far as assistants go, to me, the buck still always stops with the head coach. If the assistant makes a poor decision, the head coach still bares some responsibility for that due to being the one who hire them, and that they may have to over-rule them at times.

Classic example was Coach P's inexcusible coaching blunder of having Carson even try to throw at the end of the Montana game; it did not matter if NDSU got a first down; what they needed to do was run time off the clock. The Head Coach has to over rule an OC when they make that poor of a decision. I will go to my grave viewing that as one of the all time blunders I have seen in time management coaching.

17>1
06-02-2016, 05:42 PM
You certainly can't discount the effect of tradition, not to mention, geographically, where Fargo is. (I've always had a hard time separating the tradition from the geography issue; I think they are so intertwined and created a perfect storm of success.) Yet, NDSU has had down years, even under Coach Bohl. You miss fire on a recruit or two, make poor decisions on assistant coaches, and things can go south fast. I think as far as assistants go, to me, the buck still always stops with the head coach. If the assistant makes a poor decision, the head coach still bares some responsibility for that due to being the one who hire them, and that they may have to over-rule them at times.

Classic example was Coach P's inexcusible coaching blunder of having Carson even try to throw at the end of the Montana game; it did not matter if NDSU got a first down; what they needed to do was run time off the clock. The Head Coach has to over rule an OC when they make that poor of a decision. I will go to my grave viewing that as one of the all time blunders I have seen in time management coaching.

The discussion on Bisonville following that game probably covered everything there is to discuss on the subject. And you're right, Coach K took the blame for poor clock management, and at this point I don't care if it was Carson's fault of Coach P's fault, as long as that kind of thing doesn't happen again then that's good enough for me.

THEsocalledfan
06-02-2016, 06:03 PM
....as long as that kind of thing doesn't happen again then that's good enough for me.

I hope so; I just providing a concrete example of why I do not consider Coach K infallible. Time will tell if he is as good a coach as we all think he is and this was a coaching blunder that literally lost a game that seems to be already forgotten by many.

TransAmBison
06-02-2016, 06:08 PM
I hope so; I just providing a concrete example of why I do not consider Coach K infallible. Time will tell if he is as good a coach as we all think he is and this was a coaching blunder that literally lost a game that seems to be already forgotten by many.Winning a NC has a way of helping people forget. Coach K has been head coach for two seasons and he has won the championship both times. The jury has a verdict on whether or not he is a good coach. Deliberations went so quick even Jimmy John's could not deliver in time.

THEsocalledfan
06-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Winning a NC has a way of helping people forget. Coach K has been head coach for two seasons and he has won the championship both times. The jury has a verdict on whether or not he is a good coach. Deliberations went so quick even Jimmy John's could not deliver in time.

And I just don't see how you can anoint him quite that fast even though I very much want to.

17>1
06-02-2016, 06:20 PM
And I just don't see how you can anoint him quite that fast even though I very much want to.

Because I like him for more than the wins and championships. He has a special kind of personality, great character, and you can tell he has Bison pride. His players and the relationships that he has developed with them is evident as well. Those are the kind of things to me that make him a good coach. I also know he needs to keep winning ball games too. And like Tranny said, winning a NC or two quickly erases any bad decisions made during a season.

TransAmBison
06-02-2016, 06:39 PM
And I just don't see how you can anoint him quite that fast even though I very much want to.As evidence I have submitted two national championships in his only two seasons of head coach at NDSU (up to this point). His star qb went down and he put together a plan to win the next 8 games with a redshirt freshman qb. He also took a very young defense and brought them back up to previous standards. He also won 2 national championships in his first two years. I said it twice you say? Yes, I did. They had every reason to drop off last year...but they didn't. The defense was very young and didn't have a good start...but coach said to have patience...they'd get better. We lost our qb and coach said we'd be okay. UNI came into the dome for the playoffs looking for blood and coach messed with them to give them something to think about. Coach pulled in Randy Hedberg to coach the qb's. And, Coach K has won 2 national championships in his first 2 years as head coach. Yeah, I'll stand behind my statement he is a good coach.

THEsocalledfan
06-02-2016, 06:39 PM
Because I like him for more than the wins and championships. He has a special kind of personality, great character, and you can tell he has Bison pride. His players and the relationships that he has developed with them is evident as well. Those are the kind of things to me that make him a good coach. I also know he needs to keep winning ball games too. And like Tranny said, winning a NC or two quickly erases any bad decisions made during a season.

Bingo; I think we are on the same page.

I would sacrifice all the warm fuzzy stuff as long as the program wins, and wins the right way. (no dirty stuff like Baylor, and even the dark Bohl years....)

THEsocalledfan
06-02-2016, 06:50 PM
As evidence I have submitted two national championships in his only two seasons of head coach at NDSU (up to this point). His star qb went down and he put together a plan to win the next 8 games with a redshirt freshman qb. He also took a very young defense and brought them back up to previous standards. He also won 2 national championships in his first two years. I said it twice you say? Yes, I did. They had every reason to drop off last year...but they didn't. The defense was very young and didn't have a good start...but coach said to have patience...they'd get better. We lost our qb and coach said we'd be okay. UNI came into the dome for the playoffs looking for blood and coach messed with them to give them something to think about. Coach pulled in Randy Hedberg to coach the qb's. And, Coach K has won 2 national championships in his first 2 years as head coach. Yeah, I'll stand behind my statement he is a good coach.

No arguments. I just want to be able to consider him as one of the all time great NDSU coaches; I just am not quite there.

Bisonwinagn
06-02-2016, 07:44 PM
I hope so; I just providing a concrete example of why I do not consider Coach K infallible. Time will tell if he is as good a coach as we all think he is and this was a coaching blunder that literally lost a game that seems to be already forgotten by many.

Bohl lost the EWU game by punting from the 35 yard line on 4th and 1. Was he a bad coach or good coach for the horrible decision that cost the game?

wagsabison
06-02-2016, 07:51 PM
Believe it or not coaches make bad decisions. Learn from them and move on. That's what gets me about people and second guessing something after it happened (easy to do). Plenty of times our guys have made plays to make the coaches look good... if they don't fans are second guessing a call.

With the Montana game we make a play and get a first down game is over. Montana got us on that one and they ended up winning the game.

Herd
06-02-2016, 09:10 PM

I agree. From a character standpoint, Klieman is a significant upgrade over Bohl. From a football accomplishments standpoint, Klieman is building his resume quickly, but character is no comparison really.

Gully
06-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Bohl lost the EWU game by punting from the 35 yard line on 4th and 1. Was he a bad coach or good coach for the horrible decision that cost the game?

I know he gets ripped on that, but I bet that strategy would have worked in that situation 9 out of 10 times. If I recall, they had to convert a couple of 4th downs just to tie the game.

bisonaudit
06-02-2016, 09:16 PM
Believe it or not coaches make bad decisions. Learn from them and move on. That's what gets me about people and second guessing something after it happened (easy to do). Plenty of times our guys have made plays to make the coaches look good... if they don't fans are second guessing a call.

With the Montana game we make a play and get a first down game is over. Montana got us on that one and they ended up winning the game.

I'm not sure how much they learn from their bad decisions. After all almost all of them keep making some of the same fundamental mistakes over and over and over again. Not completely without reason, but not for reasons related to actually winning football games.

17>1
06-02-2016, 09:16 PM
I know he gets ripped on that, but I bet that strategy would have worked in that situation 9 out of 10 times. If I recall, they had to convert a couple of 4th downs just to tie the game.

Yep, they did. A few 4th and longs, while it was snowing.

bisonaudit
06-02-2016, 09:22 PM

Punting from the 35 when you only need 1 yd is never the correct decision.

BisonAccountant44
06-02-2016, 10:29 PM
Punting from the 35 when you only need 1 yd is never the correct decision.
Quoted for truth

bisonaudit
06-03-2016, 02:09 AM
Bad base running by Suzuki taking 3rd with no outs on a single to left, but good base running by Buxton taking 2nd behind him.

THEsocalledfan
06-03-2016, 05:19 PM
Bad base running by Suzuki taking 3rd with no outs on a single to left, but good base running by Buxton taking 2nd behind him.

It was a hit and run and any runner of reasonable speed should make it and he did. Despite risking the first out at third base, not sure how you can rip him since hit and run.

bisonaudit
06-03-2016, 07:02 PM
It was a hit and run and any runner of reasonable speed should make it and he did. Despite risking the first out at third base, not sure how you can rip him since hit and run.

I guess because the phrase "never make the first out at third base" and a picture of the opposing manager on the phone with his video guy are not compatible.

PlainsBison
06-05-2016, 12:31 AM
Some of you guys talk about someone named Izzy on here. If you look at this photo --- https://twitter.com/CoachTimNDSU/status/739227888768057344 --- you see a sign that says, "Izzy's Ice Cream." Is this Izzy own an ice cream store or something?

IzzyFlexion
06-05-2016, 01:26 PM
Some of you guys talk about someone named Izzy on here. If you look at this photo --- https://twitter.com/CoachTimNDSU/status/739227888768057344 --- you see a sign that says, "Izzy's Ice Cream." Is this Izzy own an ice cream store or something?

Well.......same general category.
I'm in the whipped cream business.......but it's a research and development gig.

THEsocalledfan
06-06-2016, 02:56 PM
I guess because the phrase "never make the first out at third base" and a picture of the opposing manager on the phone with his video guy are not compatible.

I've never, ever seen a runner when a hit happens on a hit and run not try to take third base. Not nearly as much of a decision as running to 3rd, usually is. This was non-rippable and he made it anyway.

bisonaudit
06-06-2016, 04:04 PM
I've never, ever seen a runner when a hit happens on a hit and run not try to take third base. Not nearly as much of a decision as running to 3rd, usually is. This was non-rippable and he made it anyway.

Well, I'm ripping it. Suzuki does not have descent speed (by your own reasoning a prerequisite for the hit and run excuse to apply); he's not a good base runner generally and you can't make the first out at 3rd which he nearly did there. Just because it happened to work out that one time doesn't make it a good decision.

THEsocalledfan
06-06-2016, 05:22 PM
Well, I'm ripping it. Suzuki does not have descent speed (by your own reasoning a prerequisite for the hit and run excuse to apply); he's not a good base runner generally and you can't make the first out at 3rd which he nearly did there. Just because it happened to work out that one time doesn't make it a good decision.

Please tell me how many times you've seen a runner not take 3rd base on a hit and run when a single is hit, and I'll agree with you.

BisonTeacher
06-06-2016, 07:09 PM
Please tell me how many times you've seen a runner not take 3rd base on a hit and run when a single is hit, and I'll agree with you.

My question would be where was it hit and how hard? (I dont know what play you are talking about)...if its hit to RF, then I agree. If its hit to short left field, the runner should be able to see in front of them and can put on the brakes if need be.

THEsocalledfan
06-07-2016, 11:51 AM
My question would be where was it hit and how hard? (I dont know what play you are talking about)...if its hit to RF, then I agree. If its hit to short left field, the runner should be able to see in front of them and can put on the brakes if need be.

It was left field and not hit very hard. For me, when you are running on a hit and run, when you hear the ball get hit, your job is to keep the jets going.

I will maintain, I can't recall a single time I've seen a hit and run runner ever stop at second when a ball is hit that drops.