PDA

View Full Version : MN Xanax scandal

Big Bird
05-26-2016, 04:36 PM
MN going through an investigation for some wrestlers selling thousands of Xanax pills to other students and even teammates. MN is my 2nd favorite team and J has brought that program from the dumpster up to a national power, but I don't think or want him to survive this with his job. Story being covered by the Washington Post, Deadspin, and ESPN. Plus with a new AD in town, this is a chance for the AD to set "his tone".

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/15737024/university-minnesota-police-investigating-allegations-wrestlers-sold-abused-xanax

http://deadspin.com/report-minnesota-wrestling-coach-found-students-dealin-1778828581

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/05/26/minnesota-wrestlers-caught-selling-xanax-coach-has-them-write-essay/

Christopher Moen
05-26-2016, 04:40 PM
MN going through an investigation for some wrestlers selling thousands of Xanax pills to other students and even teammates. MN is my 2nd favorite team and J has brought that program from the dumpster up to a national power, but I don't think or want him to survive this with his job. Story being covered by the Washington Post, Deadspin, and ESPN. Plus with a new AD in town, this is a chance for the AD to set "his tone".

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/15737024/university-minnesota-police-investigating-allegations-wrestlers-sold-abused-xanax

http://deadspin.com/report-minnesota-wrestling-coach-found-students-dealin-1778828581

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/05/26/minnesota-wrestlers-caught-selling-xanax-coach-has-them-write-essay/

Just started listening about the issue on Flo: http://www.flowrestling.org/article/42138-frl-120-minnesota-s-drug-problem-and-nahshon-garrett-s-announcement

This is not good.

EndZoneQB
05-26-2016, 04:59 PM
They were talking about this on Power Trip this morning...new AD, this guy is gone. No doubt about it.

I am actually not upset about what the coach did in the least. I'm sure I'll be in the minority there tho...

Christopher Moen
05-26-2016, 05:23 PM
They were talking about this on Power Trip this morning...new AD, this guy is gone. No doubt about it.

I am actually not upset about what the coach did in the least. I'm sure I'll be in the minority there tho...

J Rob handled the situation like a parent too much instead of a coach of one the Nation's biggest college programs. With his relationship with the Minnesota AD, this might be the last straw unfortunately. If it does, I'm hoping it doesn't cost the assistants their jobs too or their ability to take J Rob's place.

Pretty sad situation. As much as I like making fun of the UofM athletics, I really have a lot of respect for their wrestling program and staff. J Rob and his staff, in my opinion, have always been pretty good dudes and easy to work with. As a former Bison wrestler, I really appreciated that their program came to Fargo to wrestle us instead of big-timing us by either ignoring us or making our team travel to the Twin Cities.

EndZoneQB
05-26-2016, 08:46 PM
J Rob handled the situation like a parent too much instead of a coach of one the Nation's biggest college programs. With his relationship with the Minnesota AD, this might be the last straw unfortunately. If it does, I'm hoping it doesn't cost the assistants their jobs too or their ability to take J Rob's place.

Pretty sad situation. As much as I like making fun of the UofM athletics, I really have a lot of respect for their wrestling program and staff. J Rob and his staff, in my opinion, have always been pretty good dudes and easy to work with. As a former Bison wrestler, I really appreciated that their program came to Fargo to wrestle us instead of big-timing us by either ignoring us or making our team travel to the Twin Cities.

I've kind of waffled on my position. I'm a little bit old school still and I respond to the kind of treatment he gave the wrestlers....however, it's 2016 and that shit doesn't work with young kids.

Christopher Moen
05-31-2016, 05:19 PM
Date May 30, 2016
RE: University of Minnesota Head Wrestling Coach J Paul Robinson

Last Tuesday, May 24th, KMSP aired during their late evening news a report concerning University of Minnesota wrestlers’ alleged drug use and alleged drug sales.

On Thursday, May 26th, a number of newspaper stories picked up the television report advancing more specific allegations against Coach Robinson.

The media coverage to date appears to be a self-circulating story based on one, anonymous source; blather from anonymous sources and a media environment that disperses what it wants to be true rather than what actually is true is troubling.

In late February / early March, Coach Robinson became suspicious members of the University of Minnesota wrestling team were using drugs.

Pursuant to University of Minnesota Department of Intercollegiate Athletics policy Coach Robinson notified his direct supervisor within the Athletic Department of his concerns. Coach Robinson specifically notified the interim Athletic Department Director as well, and of his desire to have specific wrestlers tested.

Coach Robinson was instructed he needed to complete a ‘testing form’ (i.e., The University of Minnesota Department of Intercollegiate Athletics Alcohol and Drug Testing Reasonable Suspicion Reporting Form) before requesting the testing of student athletes.

The ‘reasonable suspicion’ form was completed, and testing of student athletes took place on or about Monday, March 21st.

It was on March 25th the interim Athletic Director sent Coach Robinson the 2016 University of Minnesota Drug and Alcohol Policy in twenty pages via email.

The ‘Drug and Alcohol Policy’ states: “Any student-athlete who identifies him/herself as having a substance abuse problem may self-refer to the Department of Athletic Medicine to be entered into a Safe Harbor program pending approval of the Review Board.”

Coach Robinson specifically informed the University through multiple channels of his knowledge of the situation. The University did not test the student athletes for Xanax.

Coach Robinson informed University staff of his specific concerns. As a result there are electronic communications between University employees within the University’s control on these issues.

The University has now been placed on written notice the communications and electronically stored data in its control may not be damaged, altered and/or destroyed and must be available for future dissemination.

As of this date no specific person or identifiable employee of the University has made a statement of fact that can be corroborated.

The University has been asked to test athletes, has tested athletes and has not disclosed this fact or seemingly instructed its employee on how to deal with the consequences of its testing results and/or the serious allegations being advanced in the media by an anonymous wrestler.

Coach Robinson has earned respect over the past thirty years as one of the most honorable, loyal and successful coaches in University history.

Coach Robinson’s accomplishments and loyalty to the University, to his teams, to the hundreds of student athletes he has coached, and to his fans, and detractors, would seem to be lost at this time. Fairness and appropriate disclosures by the University are at issue, and balanced coverage by the media of all facts is required.

Big Bird
06-01-2016, 12:12 AM
If the lawyer's statement is accurate of what actually happened, J Rob may well weather the storm.

Christopher Moen
06-01-2016, 05:55 PM
If the lawyer's statement is accurate of what actually happened, J Rob may well weather the storm.

I hope he does, but so far, it's not looking too good: http://www.fox9.com/news/investigators/151098580-story

Bisonwinagn
06-08-2016, 06:20 PM
What is Xanax and why do people take it?

bisonaudit
06-08-2016, 06:25 PM

Anti anxiety medication.

I imagine it's used/abused recreationally for the same reasons any variety of downer is used recreationally.

EndZoneQB
06-08-2016, 06:37 PM
I don't get it. I've dabbled with it before, but it makes me an emotionless pile of protoplasm. It does reset your stress to zero tho...while also making you a zero - I used to take it once in awhile when I had a heavy workload during the week and just need to shut it off on the weekend. I would wake up the next day with nary a care in the world.

I don't get how you can party on it tho.

Bison bison
06-08-2016, 06:47 PM
Anti anxiety medication.

I imagine it's used/abused recreationally for the same reasons any variety of downer is used recreationally.

WTF is wrong with alcohol?

EndZoneQB
06-08-2016, 09:56 PM
WTF is wrong with alcohol?

Could be said about almost any intoxicant, no? From the people I know that use it, they combine. Just blackout city then.

HerdBot
06-09-2016, 02:01 AM
It's an antidepressant. It just makes you insanely relaxed but not high. That's why people drink alcohol with it. Of course a side effect of Xanax and alcohol is slow breathing and likely death.

People would be much smarter to just smoke weed. Much safer and you can't die from a weed overdose

Of course since Xanax has TV commercials and doctors hand in out like candy means it's ok. Nancy Reagan never said just say no to prescription drugs. End rant.

EndZoneQB
06-09-2016, 02:24 PM
It's an antidepressant. It just makes you insanely relaxed but not high. That's why people drink alcohol with it. Of course a side effect of Xanax and alcohol is slow breathing and likely death.

People would be much smarter to just smoke weed. Much safer and you can't die from a weed overdose

Of course since Xanax has TV commercials and doctors hand in out like candy means it's ok. Nancy Reagan never said just say no to prescription drugs. End rant.

Great post with so much new information, even tho it is NOT an anti-depressant.

Bison bison
06-09-2016, 02:49 PM
IMuch safer and you can't die from a weed overdose

Completely false.

You can overdo anything. In the case of marijuana consumption - smoking an 80 lb. log of the stuff could result in burning your face off.

HerdBot
06-09-2016, 03:36 PM
Completely false.

You can overdo anything. In the case of marijuana consumption - smoking an 80 lb. log of the stuff could result in burning your face off.

If you had an 80 pound log of weed, you still wouldn't die from a weed overdose. However you could pass out while comsuming it and then burn your house down. However if you ate it, you would just pass out before finishing it

Bison bison
06-09-2016, 03:38 PM
Pretty sure you'd die from constipation.

1998braves64
06-09-2016, 05:43 PM
Plus weed shows up on NCAA/UM drug testing I'm assuming, and sticks around for a couple weeks?? Xanax does not show up on drug testing since it's a legal prescription drug? Or am I wrong on that.

scottietohottie
06-09-2016, 05:46 PM
I was going to smoke an 80lb log of weed for bv but then I got high.

HerdBot
06-09-2016, 05:54 PM
Great post with so much new information, even tho it is NOT an anti-depressant.

I always thought anxiety was the same as anti depressants. I stand corrected. So many pills out there... seems like they all bad for ya and addictive

ByeSonBusiness
06-10-2016, 01:42 AM
I always thought anxiety was the same as anti depressants. I stand corrected. So many pills out there... seems like they all bad for ya and addictive

TSCF is a pharmacist I think. Maybe he could give us a lesson in pharmaceutical science.

1998braves64
06-10-2016, 09:23 AM

Anxiety person needs a mellowing out so that they stop thinking about all the things that get them riled up. (so in other words a depressant like xanax, barbiturates, alcohol, etc) Depressed person needs a pick me up to make them think that their world is bright and happy. (anti depressant like Prozac, etc) then you have stimulants for people who don't want to be mellow! (caffeine, meth etc)

ByeSonBusiness
06-10-2016, 12:41 PM
Anxiety person needs a mellowing out so that they stop thinking about all the things that get them riled up. (so in other words a depressant like xanax, barbiturates, alcohol, etc) Depressed person needs a pick me up to make them think that their world is bright and happy. (anti depressant like Prozac, etc) then you have stimulants for people who don't want to be mellow! (caffeine, meth etc)

And for the white collar folks, cocaine.

HerdBot
06-10-2016, 06:18 PM

Anxiety - Weed. Helps you stop thinking about anything that gets you riled up, except for food and trippy music. Will focus your thoughts on outer space and aliens and stuff.
Depressed - Weed. Makes you happy.
Stimulants - Coffee or alcohol. (or my favorite... Jag Bombs)
Sleeping - Weed. makes you sleep.

Anything else for regular life is unnecessary in my opinion.

bisonaudit
06-10-2016, 06:20 PM
Alcohol: not a stimulant.

HerdBot
06-10-2016, 06:23 PM
Alcohol: not a stimulant.

Not technically but it it stimulates your inhibitions. Mixed with caffeine which is why I said Jag Bombs
:rofl:

17>1
06-10-2016, 09:55 PM
I don't get it. I've dabbled with it before, but it makes me an emotionless pile of protoplasm. It does reset your stress to zero tho...while also making you a zero - I used to take it once in awhile when I had a heavy workload during the week and just need to shut it off on the weekend. I would wake up the next day with nary a care in the world.

I don't get how you can party on it tho.

Been to a few music festivals back in the day where a person could find just about any kind of party drug, upper or downer, that you can imagine. Xanax was present as well. It's my understanding that Xanax was used primarily as "landing gear", or to come down off a high or trip when you really just wanted to sleep or rest. I'm sure it has other uses, but this is one of the ways that I've heard it used before. Maybe a person takes a bunch of Adderall to cram for a test, and they need something to counter that when it's time to sleep?

CyPanth
06-10-2016, 10:21 PM

I use fan sites for these purposes. Panther Nation is my Xanax (because it is sleep-inducing when no one seems to ever be there during the summer). Cyclone Fanatic is my Prozac anti-depressant (I'm an addicted Cyclone fan). Bisonville is my stimulant to make me less mellow ("quite the shitstorm, huh?"). And HawkeyeNation is my Potassium Chloride (because dying is more interesting than being there).

EndZoneQB
06-13-2016, 12:02 AM
Been to a few music festivals back in the day where a person could find just about any kind of party drug, upper or downer, that you can imagine. Xanax was present as well. It's my understanding that Xanax was used primarily as "landing gear", or to come down off a high or trip when you really just wanted to sleep or rest. I'm sure it has other uses, but this is one of the ways that I've heard it used before. Maybe a person takes a bunch of Adderall to cram for a test, and they need something to counter that when it's time to sleep?

It is used for that but it's not recommended until the VERY end of the weekend. Benzos stay in your system for awhile and if you plan on partaking later, they are just going to be fighting each other - not good.

However, people take them recreationally these days, it's weird.

17>1
06-30-2016, 02:55 PM
http://www.inforum.com/sports/4064944-university-minnesota-wrestlers-coach-escape-drug-charges-lack-evidence

Christopher Moen
06-30-2016, 05:42 PM
http://www.inforum.com/sports/4064944-university-minnesota-wrestlers-coach-escape-drug-charges-lack-evidence

According to J's daughter, he'll be fired this week.

RadioBison
07-01-2016, 12:38 AM
According to J's daughter, he'll be fired this week.

I was hoping that more information would come out and make things look better for J, but it seems to me that the opposite has happened. There may not have been enough evidence for legal action, but I don't see any denial that a crime was essentially covered up. I also don't see any denial about sitting on this info for over a month before starting the drug tests, two days after the season ended. I assume now that he will be fired the second they can stamp the official investigation as closed.

Christopher Moen
07-01-2016, 12:47 AM
I was hoping that more information would come out and make things look better for J, but it seems to me that the opposite has happened. There may not have been enough evidence for legal action, but I don't see any denial that a crime was essentially covered up. I also don't see any denial about sitting on this info for over a month before starting the drug tests, two days after the season ended. I assume now that he will be fired the second they can stamp the official investigation as closed.

My take is that the University, especially with a new administration, has finally found a way to do something they have wanted to do for years in regards to J:
http://rs1368.pbsrc.com/albums/ag175/sunnydaleclassof99/Scrubs%20Dr%20Cox%20Im%20Out_zpsfkueytfh.gif~c200

Christopher Moen
08-01-2016, 06:41 PM
Brandon Eggum has been named the "acting head coach." http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/080116aaa.html

Despite beating me pretty bad that one time at the BSA, I think he's a great dude and I hope he gets the job full time after everything settles down.

17>1
08-25-2016, 06:53 PM
http://www.inforum.com/sports/4101259-troubled-gophers-wrestling-coach-unlikely-keep-his-job

Christopher Moen
08-25-2016, 08:01 PM
http://www.inforum.com/sports/4101259-troubled-gophers-wrestling-coach-unlikely-keep-his-job

I haven't seen a wrestling coach get this type of treatment since Tim Neumann left Nebraska.

AmberValley
09-07-2016, 10:17 PM
It's over for J. News Conference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX6HvoGtDJI

The AD doesn't show until 6:59. Holy cow was he sweating it up. Looked like he wanted to run out of there.

Gladiator Dad
09-09-2016, 03:32 PM
J Responds, it's a classic response I have to say.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/09/08/gophers-wrestling-coach-j-robinson-xanax/

56BISON73
09-09-2016, 09:03 PM
Not technically but it it stimulates your inhibitions. Mixed with caffeine which is why I said Jag Bombs
:rofl:

It does not stimulate inhibitions. It lowers them. Its probably the only reason you get lucky.:biggrin: