PDA

View Full Version : University of Jamestown to the Great Plains Athletic Conference

Pages : [1] 2

BisonFan02
05-25-2016, 09:16 PM
Dom Izzo
‏@DomIzzoWDAY
University of Jamestown AD Sean Johnson confirms that school has applied for admission to the Great Plains Athletic Conference.

Well....bye bye VCSU, Mayville, and Dickinson. Zero tears shed on my end. #VCSUgradsbagmygroceries :rofl:

ByeSonBusiness
05-25-2016, 09:49 PM
Just checked them out. Heard of Morningside. The rest of them....no. Wonder what the reasoning is behind this.

GRAFTONBISON
05-25-2016, 09:51 PM
Just checked them out. Heard of Morningside. The rest of them....no. Wonder what the reasoning is behind this.

UN_ is joining as well and the whole conference is going FBS

Mr Meaty
05-25-2016, 09:51 PM
They do and have played some of the schools before. Not sure the overall reason other than all be faith based type school.

coldspot
05-25-2016, 10:17 PM
Unless the rest of the GPAC is planning on transitioning to the NCAA, this makes zero sense.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
05-25-2016, 10:38 PM
Unless the rest of the GPAC is planning on transitioning to the NCAA, this makes zero sense.

My first pick would be to go DIII to the MIAC, but the GPAC is an improvement over the North Star....all of the GPAC would be considered peer institutions to UJ.

HerdBot
05-25-2016, 11:18 PM
I don't follow Jamestown are they currently D2, D3 or NAIA and are theyou staying the same?

BisonFan02
05-25-2016, 11:46 PM
I don't follow Jamestown are they currently D2, D3 or NAIA and are theyou staying the same?

NAIA and so is the new conference.

southcliffbison
06-05-2016, 05:16 AM
Dom Izzo
‏@DomIzzoWDAY
University of Jamestown AD Sean Johnson confirms that school has applied for admission to the Great Plains Athletic Conference.

Well....bye bye VCSU, Mayville, and Dickinson. Zero tears shed on my end. #VCSUgradsbagmygroceries :rofl:

YEAH!!!!! We get to play Dordt, Doane, and Hastings !!!!!!!

pucknut9
06-05-2016, 11:31 PM

Makes no sense at all. Travel time will be ridiculous. Shortest conference game would be 240 miles and the longest like 530 or so. Good luck recruiting. Have not heard one person be it a coach or otherwise who is in favor of this.

coldspot
06-05-2016, 11:38 PM
Makes no sense at all. Travel time will be ridiculous. Shortest conference game would be 240 miles and the longest like 530 or so. Good luck recruiting. Have not heard one person be it a coach or otherwise who is in favor of this.

the only "advantage" they gain by this move is everybody else in the conference is a private religious school as well. other than that....doesn't make sense.

pucknut9
06-07-2016, 02:15 AM
the only "advantage" they gain by this move is everybody else in the conference is a private religious school as well. other than that....doesn't make sense.
Hope they like long bus rides. 6973

THEsocalledfan
06-07-2016, 11:48 AM

Don't call them Pumpkin Heads for nothing.

pucknut9
06-07-2016, 02:14 PM

More like knucklehead as in president Badal.

BisonFan02
06-07-2016, 03:28 PM

:rofl: Keep telling yourself that.....

southcliffbison
06-07-2016, 06:25 PM

Seriously, didn't Dickinson State flee the old DAC Conference for the supposed greener pastures of the Frontier Conference , only to flee back a couple of years later because of the travel and time spent on the road ? There's an old saying that goes..... "the evil that you know is better than the evil that you don't know..........

THEsocalledfan
06-07-2016, 07:05 PM
Seriously, didn't Dickinson State flee the old DAC Conference for the supposed greener pastures of the Frontier Conference , only to flee back a couple of years later because of the travel and time spent on the road ? There's an old saying that goes..... "the evil that you know is better than the evil that you don't know..........

Exactly. This is not like Mizzou and A & M leaving the Big 12 for the SEC.....

NDSU1980
06-11-2016, 08:30 PM
Seriously, this falls in line with the whole mentality of Jamestown, they just put a certain spin on things and pretend that it's great. They changed the name to UJ so it sounded bigger and better than plain old Jamestown College. They started calling the airport Jamestown REGIONAL Airport so they can pretend it's bigger, and my favorite, they put a new 20 bed hospital and named it (again) Jamestown REGIONAL Medical Center. Makes them sound bigger than Mayo in Rochester, since Mayo is only a Clinic.

BlueBisonRock
06-11-2016, 11:25 PM
Seriously, this falls in line with the whole mentality of Jamestown, they just put a certain spin on things and pretend that it's great. They changed the name to UJ so it sounded bigger and better than plain old Jamestown College. They started calling the airport Jamestown REGIONAL Airport so they can pretend it's bigger, and my favorite, they put a new 20 bed hospital and named it (again) Jamestown REGIONAL Medical Center. Makes them sound bigger than Mayo in Rochester, since Mayo is only a Clinic.

Mayo also has the designation of "Destination Medical Center" or DMC which brings Rochester into competition with John Hopkins and Cleveland (of all places) for a bit more than regional focus. Just sayin'.

56BISON73
06-12-2016, 02:20 AM
Mayo also has the designation of "Destination Medical Center" or DMC which brings Rochester into competition with John Hopkins and Cleveland (of all places) for a bit more than regional focus. Just sayin'.

The Mayo has there names on a few hospitals as well. Wait let me reword that. They are a health system.:biggrin:

ByeSonBusiness
06-12-2016, 04:36 PM

..... The new hospital is for, you know, Jamestown and the area around it, commonly referred to as a REGION. Omg Fargo's airport is called Hector INTERNATIONAL airport. Super big and important.

I think you might be retarded.

BisonFan02
06-14-2016, 03:06 AM
..... The new hospital is for, you know, Jamestown and the area around it, commonly referred to as a REGION. Omg Fargo's airport is called Hector INTERNATIONAL airport. Super big and important.

This........

southcliffbison
06-14-2016, 06:33 AM

Have you ever been to Sioux Center, Iowa, (Dordt) or Orange City, Iowa (Northwestern) ? Noteworthy in terms of events is the Tulip Festival they have in Orange City every June. One of my daughters graduated from Northwestern. The truth be known, I felt perfectly safe and content having her in Orange City.......the sheriff's name was Andy and the deputy's name was Barney.

Vet70
06-14-2016, 12:45 PM

The "international" designation is not of Fargo's choosing to make them feel "Super big and important." It is used for any airport that has a customs and immigration office that serves international travel. And your use of the word "retarded" to express your disagreement with someone is, well, ignorant.

ByeSonBusiness
06-14-2016, 01:26 PM
The "international" designation is not of Fargo's choosing to make them feel "Super big and important." It is used for any airport that has a customs and immigration office that serves international travel. And your use of the word "retarded" to express your disagreement with someone is, well, ignorant.

The point is, he rips on Jamestown for having some "mentality" because they include the word "regional" in a hospital and airport name. I don't have a problem with Fargo's air port being called Hector International. Honestly, I'm a townie and didn't even know the name of the airport or the hospital. I can't say I've ever heard the proper name for either of them in conversation.

If I had called him a moron, or inbecile, or stupid would you have cared? Probably not, even though those terms can be argued are just as bad.

Vet70
06-14-2016, 01:44 PM
The point is, he rips on Jamestown for having some "mentality" because they include the word "regional" in a hospital and airport name. I don't have a problem with Fargo's air port being called Hector International. Honestly, I'm a townie and didn't even know the name of the airport or the hospital. I can't say I've ever heard the proper name for either of them in conversation.

If I had called him a moron, or inbecile, or stupid would you have cared? Probably not, even though those terms can be argued are just as bad.

I am not sure what "inbecile" means, but since you don't seem to get it or don't care I will leave it at that. Trying to explain it to you would be pointless.

Bison Loaf
06-14-2016, 01:52 PM
If I had called him a moron, or inbecile, or stupid would you have cared?

The real question is....................why the name-calling at all?

ByeSonBusiness
06-14-2016, 01:53 PM
I am not sure what "inbecile" means, but since you don't seem to get it or don't care I will leave it at that. Trying to explain it to you would be pointless.

obvious typo is obvious.

Don't care would be the case. Don't be a PC Principle. <----BF02

tjbison
06-14-2016, 01:54 PM

I don't see why this burns you so bad, the Airport is probably designated that via the FAA as it truly is "regional"

another example of trying to be "bigger" is the way Bismarck tries to copy pretty much everything Fargo does...it happens. Fargo tries to copy Minneapolis

pucknut9
06-15-2016, 01:42 AM
I've lived in Jimtown for 47 of my 55 years. I find these recent posts hilarious. We have the worlds largest buffalo and that is all that matters. ;)

NDSU1980
06-15-2016, 02:50 AM
I don't see why this burns you so bad, the Airport is probably designated that via the FAA as it truly is "regional"

another example of trying to be "bigger" is the way Bismarck tries to copy pretty much everything Fargo does...it happens. Fargo tries to copy Minneapolis
Jamestown is the only major city in ND that has the exact same population as they had in 1960. They don't grow, they just change the names to make people think something is happening there.

Back in the 1970's the Jamestown Sun had an editor named Jack Evans who really put the spin on things. You'd have thought Jamestown was keeping up with Fargo the way the propaganda was pitched.

The "regional" hospital at Jamestown airlifts it's serious patients to Fargo, so I guess the name change couldn't improve that. I make fun of Jamestown because of the way they try to be something they never will be. Grand Forks is much the same way at times.

El_Chapo
06-15-2016, 02:55 AM
I've lived in Jimtown for 47 of my 55 years. I find these recent posts hilarious. We have the worlds largest buffalo and that is all that matters. ;)

More proof puck nut will always be a und fan. It's worlds largest BISON!!!!

ByeSonBusiness
06-15-2016, 03:10 AM
Jamestown is the only major city in ND that has the exact same population as they had in 1960. They don't grow, they just change the names to make people think something is happening there.

Back in the 1970's the Jamestown Sun had an editor named Jack Evans who really put the spin on things. You'd have thought Jamestown was keeping up with Fargo the way the propaganda was pitched.

The "regional" hospital at Jamestown airlifts it's serious patients to Fargo, so I guess the name change couldn't improve that. I make fun of Jamestown because of the way they try to be something they never will be. Grand Forks is much the same way at times.

How bad did Jamestown High beat on you in sports growing up? You from Valley City or something? lol.

southcliffbison
06-15-2016, 03:47 AM

As a high schooler in a "regional town", I remember the Jamestown Sun's sports editor, Jim Nelson. Great writer who gave the surrounding communities good coverage. He was fair, but balanced.:rofl:

pucknut9
06-15-2016, 04:20 AM

Next on the agenda is to rename our reservoir to the Jamestown Regional Dam.

tjbison
06-15-2016, 04:22 AM
Next on the agenda is to rename our reservoir to the Jamestown Regional Dam.

Oh, that's just like grand forks being the regional sewer

bisonp
06-15-2016, 01:59 PM

Really? I've seen that big bison, the official mammal of the United States. And I have to say that is pretty damn cool. But I've never seen any buffalo in North Dakota.

http://www.theanimalfiles.com/images/african_buffalo_1.jpg

Only kinda purple.

Hammersmith
06-15-2016, 08:54 PM
How bad did Jamestown High beat on you in sports growing up? You from Valley City or something? lol.

I love how you like to troll Bison fans, but if Jamestown or Notre Dame is dissed, you're all over it.

Does anyone else go: "Uh oh, someone took a swipe at Jamestown/Touchdown Jesus. ByeSon response coming in 3..2.."

ByeSonBusiness
06-15-2016, 09:04 PM
I love how you like to troll Bison fans, but if Jamestown or Notre Dame is dissed, you're all over it.

Does anyone else go: "Uh oh, someone took a swipe at Jamestown/Touchdown Jesus. ByeSon response coming in 3..2.."

If you love it then why are you bitching?

Also, entirely true.

Hammersmith
06-15-2016, 09:54 PM

td577
06-15-2016, 10:46 PM

What is Jamestown trying to be? They seem to fit a niche being a hub for agriculture between Bismarck and Fargo. My wife is from there. We visit her parents a lot in Jamestown. I don't see them trying to be anything but what they are and keeping up with the times. It doesn't have to grow, but it has to develop infrastructure to maintain modernity. The hospital serves the surrounding area. What would you like it called? Does Cleveland have a hospital? It seems the airport is pretty regional if you lived in the region.

The bottom line is I am not sure what you are saying in your post. What is Jamestown trying to be that it isn't.

td577
06-15-2016, 11:01 PM

What is Jamestown trying to be? They seem to fit a niche being a hub for agriculture between Bismarck and Fargo. My wife is from there. We visit her parents a lot in Jamestown. I don't see them trying to be anything but what they are and keeping up with the times. It doesn't have to grow, but it has to develop infrastructure to maintain modernity. The hospital serves the surrounding area. What would you like it called? Does Cleveland have a hospital? It seems the airport is pretty regional if you lived in the region.

The bottom line is I am not sure what you are saying in your post. What is Jamestown trying to be that it isn't.

imabison
06-16-2016, 02:50 PM
As a high schooler in a "regional town", I remember the Jamestown Sun's sports editor, Jim Nelson. Great writer who gave the surrounding communities good coverage. He was fair, but balanced.:rofl:

Hey I talked to Jim Nelson many times years ago. I also knew a great Coach Rollie Greeno from the college. Absolutely a class act.

BisonFan02
06-16-2016, 02:53 PM
Have you ever been to Sioux Center, Iowa, (Dordt) or Orange City, Iowa (Northwestern) ? Noteworthy in terms of events is the Tulip Festival they have in Orange City every June. One of my daughters graduated from Northwestern. The truth be known, I felt perfectly safe and content having her in Orange City.......the sheriff's name was Andy and the deputy's name was Barney.

Yes....been to both actually many times for work. :biggrin:

ByeSonBusiness
06-16-2016, 03:04 PM
Hey I talked to Jim Nelson many times years ago. I also knew a great Coach Rollie Greeno from the college. Absolutely a class act.

He came and spoke to us at a football teambuilting thing in the summer...told us how dumb his daughter was for thinking her son could play D1 football. He wanted Ryan Smith to play at JC lol.

southcliffbison
06-16-2016, 09:39 PM

Rollie Sr. and Rollie Jr. officiated high school basketball games for me when I coached in, again, one of those regional communities.

southcliffbison
06-16-2016, 09:42 PM
He came and spoke to us at a football teambuilting thing in the summer...told us how dumb his daughter was for thinking her son could play D1 football. He wanted Ryan Smith to play at JC lol.

In the same token, Rollie Greeno also thought that Travis Hafner was dumb for thinking he could have a baseball career. Rollie said Hafner had the potential of being an All-American javelin thrower at JC. Go figure .

natstar1
06-17-2016, 01:55 AM

Dude was far from a class act when I was in HS. We would be at a track meet and we would talk to him because he had a lot of good lines. Once we asked him if we was recruiting a certain sprinter. "He's so dumb he still spells shit with 2 "t's."

BlueBisonRock
06-17-2016, 03:15 AM
Dude was far from a class act when I was in HS. We would be at a track meet and we would talk to him because he had a lot of good lines. Once we asked him if we was recruiting a certain sprinter. "He's so dumb he still spells shit with 2 "t's."

Isn't he coaching at Montana now?

southcliffbison
06-17-2016, 12:09 PM

If you are referring to Rollie Sr, he past away a number of years ago. Rollie Jr. is a sem-retired track coach at Apple Valley, MN. Junior coached track for 38 years there.

ByeSonBusiness
06-17-2016, 01:12 PM
If you are referring to Rollie Sr, he past away a number of years ago. Rollie Jr. is a sem-retired track coach at Apple Valley, MN. Junior coached track for 38 years there.

I think he is making a comment regarding Montana's coach being classless(See: BV anger regarding his comments about Wentz being out)..could be wrong though.

imabison
06-17-2016, 01:20 PM

I was referring to Rollie SR.

natstar1
06-17-2016, 01:26 PM

I didn't know there were two of them. This would have been late 90s, I assumed the FB field was named after him.

Hammersmith
06-17-2016, 05:05 PM
I think he is making a comment regarding Montana's coach being classless(See: BV anger regarding his comments about Wentz being out)..could be wrong though.

You're wrong. The joke went right over your head.

Now, what's the name of Montana's head coach? (hint: it's a pun)

ByeSonBusiness
06-17-2016, 05:13 PM
you're wrong. The joke went right over your head.

Now, what's the name of montana's head coach? (hint: It's a pun)

oooooooooooooh.

semobison
06-17-2016, 10:17 PM
The Jimmies are just trying to get away from Dickinson State. 5 wins, 29 losses since 1985!

Mr Meaty
08-21-2016, 02:15 PM
Not related to switching conferences, but U of Jamestown open the football season up with a game in Valley City Thursday night. Paint Bucket Game.

El_Chapo
08-21-2016, 03:11 PM
Not related to switching conferences, but U of Jamestown open the football season up with a game in Valley City Thursday night. Paint Bucket Game.

Carlton little john making coaching debut

southcliffbison
08-21-2016, 05:28 PM

Go Vikings !!!!

ByeSonBusiness
08-21-2016, 06:42 PM

How many people actually go to their games? I've been to half of one and that was because our coach made us.

Mr Meaty
08-21-2016, 08:42 PM
How many people actually go to their games? I've been to half of one and that was because our coach made us.

Not really sure what attendance numbers are. If the game is not in conflict with a bison game I am there. Although not sure I will be in Valley Thursday.

southcliffbison
08-22-2016, 01:45 AM
Not really sure what attendance numbers are. If the game is not in conflict with a bison game I am there. Although not sure I will be in Valley Thursday.

Hey....... this game is a big deal in Valley City (Barnes County) and Jamestown (Stutsman County). Doesn't mean much in the great scheme of things, but ...... so what ? It's something to watch on a Thursday night besides " Dance with the Stars".

BisonFan02
08-22-2016, 03:10 AM
Hey....... this game is a big deal in Valley City (Barnes County) and Jamestown (Stutsman County). Doesn't mean much in the great scheme of things, but ...... so what ? It's something to watch on a Thursday night besides " Dance with the Stars".

It's seemed like a much bigger deal for VCSU students than for us at JC. I'm sure it varies depending on generation....

natstar1
08-22-2016, 03:40 AM

will this be the last paint bucket game for awhile?

Mr Meaty
08-22-2016, 03:49 AM
will this be the last paint bucket game for awhile?

Even if Jamestown switches conference, both school still need ooc games, should still continue.
Yes NDSU / und game is way different. F'them.

southcliffbison
08-22-2016, 12:19 PM
Even if Jamestown switches conference, both school still need ooc games, should still continue.
Yes NDSU / und game is way different. F'them.

The Great Plains Athletic Conference has nine member schools........one in Mitchell, SD(Dakota Wesleyan); one in St. Paul (Concordia) and the rest in Nebraska and Iowa. Why would they want to add an outlier member to add to their travel costs? The Iowa schools look to the central and east parts of the state for ooc games; Nebraska schools look south and into Kansas for theirs. It just doesn't make sense.

Edit: Oops , the Concordia school is not in St. Paul, but in Seward, Nebraska; my bad.

pucknut9
08-22-2016, 12:56 PM

This is the big rivalry game. Crowds are always good when VC and UJ get together be it in football or basketball. Going to go to game myself if it works out. Go Jimmies!!!!

WestDak
08-22-2016, 05:55 PM
The Great Plains Athletic Conference has nine member schools........one in Mitchell, SD(Dakota Wesleyan); one in St. Paul (Concordia) and the rest in Nebraska and Iowa. Why would they want to add an outlier member to add to their travel costs? The Iowa schools look to the central and east parts of the state for ooc games; Nebraska schools look south and into Kansas for theirs. It just doesn't make sense.

Edit: Oops , the Concordia school is not in St. Paul, but in Seward, Nebraska; my bad.

That the main question - what do the Nebraska teams think, and do they really want that travel? That is where they might not get approved when the vote comes up.

I've heard second and third hand that Jamestown coaches are not really in favor of this move either, but it is being driven by the people at the top.

As a Dickinson State alumnus, I find it disappointing. The North Dakota schools are good enough for almost 100 years, now this private school conference with a lot of travel looks better? I don't get it. Of course, I didn't get schools like South Dakota Tech (Mines), Black Hills State, and Minot St thinking they belong in D2 either.

pucknut9
08-22-2016, 06:48 PM
That the main question - what do the Nebraska teams think, and do they really want that travel? That is where they might not get approved when the vote comes up.

I've heard second and third hand that Jamestown coaches are not really in favor of this move either, but it is being driven by the people at the top.

As a Dickinson State alumnus, I find it disappointing. The North Dakota schools are good enough for almost 100 years, now this private school conference with a lot of travel looks better? I don't get it. Of course, I didn't get schools like South Dakota Tech (Mines), Black Hills State, and Minot St thinking they belong in D2 either.

Believe me there isn't anyone happy about this. Everyone but those at the top hope it doesn't go through.

acf2
08-22-2016, 11:16 PM
I miss the old DAC-10 conference.

southcliffbison
08-26-2016, 05:21 PM
Oh, in case you missed it, the Vikings won 15 to 10 .

pucknut9
08-26-2016, 08:48 PM
Oh, in case you missed it, the Vikings won 15 to 10 .

Could tell it was the first game of the year for both teams. Very sloppy play. The Vikings maintain the Paint Bucket.

pucknut9
09-09-2016, 08:36 PM
The Jimmie hockey team start their inaugural season tonight in Manitoba. This could be ugly. If they keep it within 6-8 goals it will be a victory for them. Next weekend they play their first ever home series against none other than NDSU. I'll be there.

THEsocalledfan
09-09-2016, 08:53 PM
The Jimmie hockey team start their inaugural season tonight in Manitoba. This could be ugly. If they keep it within 6-8 goals it will be a victory for them. Next weekend they play their first ever home series against none other than NDSU. I'll be there.

Is it club stuff like NDSU? There is D3 hockey; surprised no teams in ND. There were two programs in Duluth.

pucknut9
09-09-2016, 09:15 PM
Is it club stuff like NDSU? There is D3 hockey; surprised no teams in ND. There were two programs in Duluth.

Yes. They are in the ACHA D1 level. I have a feeling down the road the Jimmies will go D3.

southcliffbison
09-15-2016, 02:45 PM
Yes. They are in the ACHA D1 level. I have a feeling down the road the Jimmies will go D3.

How is the Jimmie Jane women's hockey team doing? Or don't they worry about nuisances like Title 9 at that level?

pucknut9
09-16-2016, 10:02 PM
How is the Jimmie Jane women's hockey team doing? Or don't they worry about nuisances like Title 9 at that level?

What is Title 9? :hide:

First home game tonight against none other than the Bison. I will be there.

pucknut9
09-17-2016, 04:16 AM
Jimmies 8 Bison 1. Wilson Arena was full. Jimmies first goal was when they were down 2 men. Bison were gassed in the third period. Play again tomorrow at 7.

td577
09-18-2016, 01:44 AM
Jimmies 8 Bison 1. Wilson Arena was full. Jimmies first goal was when they were down 2 men. Bison were gassed in the third period. Play again tomorrow at 7.
I would say the hockey team doesn't get time with Kramer.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

pucknut9
09-18-2016, 02:54 AM
I would say the hockey team doesn't get time with Kramer.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I would say you are exactly right. Jimmies won again tonight 6-3.

oldmantutters
09-18-2016, 02:59 PM
Too lazy to go back and read. Is Jamestown a new D3 program going up against NDSUs club teamm

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

pucknut9
09-19-2016, 05:26 AM
Too lazy to go back and read. Is Jamestown a new D3 program going up against NDSUs club teamm

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk
ACHA D1 club team just like NDSU.

HotShot
10-12-2016, 01:16 AM
So I understand UJ is getting a new basketball arena and added hockey this fall. Must have some rich alumni.

BisonAccountant44
10-12-2016, 03:05 AM
So I understand UJ is getting a new basketball arena and added hockey this fall. Must have some rich alumni.
The bball arena from what I've seen will cost about 14 million and I believe they got somewhere between 4&6 million from the Newman's. I remember reading an article that said the total would be private, but my boss is good friends with a family member and knew the amount I just can't remember what it was now.

pucknut9
10-14-2016, 12:21 PM
They got accepted. Coaches I know do not like this one bit. Of course they didn't have a say in it. The closest school is 240 miles away. Good luck with recruiting.

http://www.hawksareup.com/single-post/2016/10/13/Dont-Let-the-Door-Hit-You

coldspot
10-14-2016, 02:06 PM
They got accepted. Coaches I know do not like this one bit. Of course they didn't have a say in it. The closest school is 240 miles away. Good luck with recruiting.

Everyone is missing the big picture. This is all just a small step to joining the new FBS WAC with their soon to be travel partner UND #WACtion
/Purple, lots of it

BISON Thunder
10-14-2016, 02:09 PM

Quite a damning article you attached. The only conference transaction worse than UJ/GPAC is UND/Big Sky. Can see why coaches/athletes would be upset. Will be interesting to see how the remaining North Star schools treat UJ going forward.

El_Chapo
10-14-2016, 03:09 PM
what idiots.

pucknut9
10-14-2016, 03:28 PM
Quite a damning article you attached. The only conference transaction worse than UJ/GPAC is UND/Big Sky. Can see why coaches/athletes would be upset. Will be interesting to see how the remaining North Star schools treat UJ going forward.

I know from a very good source whom I won't expose is they will not get treated kindly.

Bisonator98
10-14-2016, 04:01 PM
Yeah this was a move right out of UND/BSC playbook. We all know how well that has worked out.:facepalm:

southcliffbison
10-14-2016, 04:44 PM
Yeah this was a move right out of UND/BSC playbook. We all know how well that has worked out.:facepalm:

So, now the new University of Travelocity (Jamestown) will travel 404 miles to Orange City, IA ; 389 to Sioux City (this is a close game for them); 473 to Hasings, NE; 520 to Crete, NE (Yes, Crete) ; 462 to Frement, also in NE; and 492 to Seward, NE. Future recruits must have or will be required to have good (or bad, whatever the case) map reading skills.

Bison Loaf
10-14-2016, 05:46 PM
So, now the new University of Travelocity (Jamestown) will travel 404 miles to Orange City, IA ; 389 to Sioux City (this is a close game for them); 473 to Hasings, NE; 520 to Crete, NE (Yes, Crete) ; 462 to Frement, also in NE; and 492 to Seward, NE. Future recruits must have or will be required to have good (or bad, whatever the case) map reading skills.

Not to worry. They'll still have club hockey.

pucknut9
10-14-2016, 06:40 PM
Not to worry. They'll still have club hockey.

Not bad hockey by the way.

Bison Loaf
10-14-2016, 06:50 PM
Not bad hockey by the way.

And................it's a higher level than NDSU's D2 club hockey..............so there's that!

It fits the mold perfectly.

pucknut9
12-26-2016, 01:45 PM
And................it's a higher level than NDSU's D2 club hockey..............so there's that!

It fits the mold perfectly.

The 4 scores between the 2 teams would indicate you are correct. 8-1, 6-3, 10-0, and 9-1 all Jimmie wins. The Bison could use the conditioning coach from the football team. :biggrin:

imabison
12-27-2016, 01:47 AM
From a sources that follows University of Jamestown quite closely, he says clearly, this the beginning of end of sports at the University of Jamestown.

pucknut9
12-27-2016, 04:23 AM
From a sources that follows University of Jamestown quite closely, he says clearly, this the beginning of end of sports at the University of Jamestown.

No doubt. That's why they are building a new basketball arena and talks of adding a new hockey arena. The end is far from near.

pucknut9
03-11-2017, 01:08 AM
Jimmie women reach the Elite 8

Mr Meaty
03-11-2017, 02:34 AM
Jimmie women reach the Elite 8
Play at 1:00.saturday I believe.

pucknut9
03-11-2017, 02:40 AM
Play at 1:00.saturday I believe.

Play number 2 Concordia of Nebraska.

Mr Meaty
03-11-2017, 10:47 AM
Play number 2 Concordia of Nebraska.

Is this team in the Conference Jimmies are moving too?

natstar1
03-11-2017, 04:46 PM
Is the game being streamed?

pucknut9
03-11-2017, 05:05 PM
Is this team in the Conference Jimmies are moving too?

Yes they are

pucknut9
03-11-2017, 08:59 PM
Women come up short in the quarterfinals. Hell of a season nonetheless

pucknut9
05-15-2017, 03:06 PM
Both baseball and softball teams are in the national tourney and play today. First time for the women since 1992. Old hat for the men.

Mr Meaty
05-15-2017, 03:21 PM
Both baseball and softball teams are in the national tourney and play today. First time for the women since 1992. Old hat for the men.

Baseball is at 11:00 and softball at 2:00. Go Jimmies!!!!!!!

pucknut9
05-15-2017, 03:51 PM
Baseball is at 11:00 and softball at 2:00. Go Jimmies!!!!!!!

Be listening in the tractor this morning. ;)

bri-dog
05-15-2017, 04:00 PM
Be listening in the tractor this morning. ;)

What station are they on (to see if I can stream it)?

BVer 75Nova's son pitches (not sure if he's pitching today or not).

EDIT: Never mind, I found it.

http://www.newsdakota.com/kqdj-1400am/

pucknut9
05-15-2017, 04:01 PM
What station are they on (to see if I can stream it)?

BVer 75Nova's son pitches (not sure if he's pitching today or not).

98.3. Can be streamed at newsdakota.com

pucknut9
05-15-2017, 08:50 PM
Unfortunately both teams lost today. Now must win out if they want to advance to WS.

pucknut9
06-25-2017, 10:04 PM
This is going to be a great recruiting tool
http://www.jamestownsun.com/sports/college/4288398-ring-bell

pucknut9
07-17-2017, 05:13 PM
Set to open August 25
http://www.wday.com/sports/4298494-sports-sunday-july-16th-look-inside-jamestowns-new-basketball-arena

Mr Meaty
07-17-2017, 05:39 PM
Set to open August 25
http://www.wday.com/sports/4298494-sports-sunday-july-16th-look-inside-jamestowns-new-basketball-arena

This will be great of the U of J. Looking forward to watching as many GPAC basketball games as I can. ( I still have season bison mens BB tickets)

pucknut9
07-17-2017, 09:46 PM
This will be great of the U of J. Looking forward to watching as many GPAC basketball games as I can. ( I still have season bison mens BB tickets)

I haven't been to a Jimmie basketball game in 10 or so years. Now that I get season tickets for the hockey team I will be sure to start going to BB games at the new digs.

HerdBot
07-24-2017, 12:30 AM
This is going to be a great recruiting tool
http://www.jamestownsun.com/sports/college/4288398-ring-bell

That's pretty nice for an NAIA school.

BisonFan02
07-28-2017, 04:36 PM
I haven't been to a Jimmie basketball game in 10 or so years. Now that I get season tickets for the hockey team I will be sure to start going to BB games at the new digs.

Same here back when I was in school from 02-06....some good teams my fresh and soph years. I'm going to try to make it back for a few this year and the reunion.

BisonFan02
07-28-2017, 04:44 PM

Haha, ok bro. Jamestown sends me more propaganda than NDSU and is clearly better fundraisers than most. It's amazing what they can do with a much smaller alumni base....PRIVATE funding.

pucknut9
07-30-2017, 01:04 PM
Haha, ok bro. Jamestown sends me more propaganda than NDSU and is clearly better fundraisers than most. It's amazing what they can do with a much smaller alumni base....PRIVATE funding.

The school is doing just fine. They have very loyal generous alumni. Look no further than the new basketball arena with the late Harold Newman donating quite a bit for it to be a reality. I highly doubt if they were worried about financing their sports teams that they would of started a men's hockey team. Discussions now are to add a women's team.

BisonFan02
07-30-2017, 07:35 PM
The school is doing just fine. They have very loyal generous alumni. Look no further than the new basketball arena with the late Harold Newman donating quite a bit for it to be a reality. I highly doubt if they were worried about financing their sports teams that they would of started a men's hockey team. Discussions now are to add a women's team.

I agree...Jamestown will be just fine.

tjbison
07-30-2017, 09:01 PM

People willing to pay private schooling generally are more inclined to give back. I can name at least 25 friends of mine that do not or will not donate money back to NDSU, they don't really have a reason just said nope..

56BISON73
07-30-2017, 11:41 PM
People willing to pay private schooling generally are more inclined to give back. I can name at least 25 friends of mine that do not or will not donate money back to NDSU, they don't really have a reason just said nope..

I understand that. For some NDSU was just a tool to get their education. They paid their money and got what they paid for.

For others they feel more of an attachment and want to give back.

pucknut9
09-28-2017, 01:37 PM
I expect a full Wilson Arena tonight as the Jimmies take on Minot St. in men's hockey. It's homecoming weekend with an all class reunion. On top of that the women's volleyball team will open up the new Harold Newman Arena Friday night. I will be attending both.

pucknut9
09-29-2017, 01:54 PM
Packed house at the Wilson Arena last night. Minot St won 1-0. Very entertaining game despite only one goal being scored. Afterwards got to walk through the Harold Newman Arena. One word. Wow.

Mr Meaty
09-29-2017, 02:07 PM
Packed house at the Wilson Arena last night. Minot St won 1-0. Very entertaining game despite only one goal being scored. Afterwards got to walk through the Harold Newman Arena. One word. Wow.

Hope to make if over there tonight for VB.

pucknut9
09-30-2017, 01:36 PM
Jimmie women open up the new Harold Newman Arena with a 3 games to 1 win over 19th ranked Bellevue. First time the bell tower has rung. What a cool Arena.

BisonFan02
10-07-2017, 03:03 PM
Jimmie women open up the new Harold Newman Arena with a 3 games to 1 win over 19th ranked Bellevue. First time the bell tower has rung. What a cool Arena.

I'm gonna make it over for a bball game this fall. Hows the seating/leg room?

pucknut9
10-10-2017, 01:15 AM

Just fine in my book

Mr Meaty
11-24-2017, 07:05 PM
I watched the U of J women defeat Minot St the other night 80-77. U of J had a comfortable lead most of the way and Minot St made a run in the 4th quarter. Good win for the Jimmies winning on the road and to a higher division.

imabison
11-26-2017, 07:32 PM

I heard its ok, parking might be an issue. You think the building is full, but its not, because everyone drives themselves.
Do they have enough parking for a full house?? Not sure.

Mr Meaty
11-27-2017, 12:54 AM
I heard its ok, parking might be an issue. You think the building is full, but its not, because everyone drives themselves.
Do they have enough parking for a full house?? Not sure.

Parking will be the tightest when the hockey team plays the same night. Otherwise it's ok.

southcliffbison
11-29-2017, 02:38 PM
I watched the U of J women defeat Minot St the other night 80-77. U of J had a comfortable lead most of the way and Minot St made a run in the 4th quarter. Good win for the Jimmies winning on the road and to a higher division.

Which just proves the point that neither UMARY or Minot State belong in the DII NSIC; has got to be hard to be a fan of either school.

Mr Meaty
11-29-2017, 03:41 PM
Which just proves the point that neither UMARY or Minot State belong in the DII NSIC; has got to be hard to be a fan of either school.

U of J beat Concordia last night 75-64 but it seem more like a 20 point game for much of it.

pucknut9
03-13-2018, 12:42 AM
Jimmie women basketball team fall in the quarter finals once again to Concordia of Nebraska. Third time in 4 years I believe. Meanwhile the men’s hockey team made the nationals in just their second year losing in the first round 3-1 to Illinois a team they swept in Illinois earlier in the season.

pucknut9
04-28-2018, 04:54 PM
Jimmie baseball team currently number 12 in the nation. They have just been crushing the ball this spring. Fun team to watch.

http://www.naia.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27900&ATCLID=211472803

Tony Almeida
04-30-2018, 12:49 AM
Jimmie baseball team currently number 12 in the nation. They have just been crushing the ball this spring. Fun team to watch.

http://www.naia.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=27900&ATCLID=211472803Dickinson State is sitting comfortably in 184th place, only two spots away from last place held by a school named Rust.

WestDak
04-30-2018, 05:24 PM
Dickinson State is sitting comfortably in 184th place, only two spots away from last place held by a school named Rust.

This is the last year of baseball there, both baseball and softball are getting the budget cut treatment after this year. Hard to get players to come in when the program is in the last year, so they've been trying to get by with very little.

Tony Almeida
04-30-2018, 08:20 PM
This is the last year of baseball there, both baseball and softball are getting the budget cut treatment after this year. Hard to get players to come in when the program is in the last year, so they've been trying to get by with very little.Wow that sucks. I have many fond memories of watching DSU baseball.

pucknut9
05-03-2018, 02:35 PM
Jimmies men and women win their conference golf tournaments. Softball team in top 20 also.

Mr Meaty
05-03-2018, 03:01 PM
Jimmies men and women win their conference golf tournaments. Softball team in top 20 also.

Jimmies host conference tourney Friday-Monday and softball is in Aberdeen Friday - tues.

pucknut9
05-03-2018, 03:30 PM
To the Nationals
http://www.jamestownsun.com/sports/golf/4439770-jimmie-golf-teams-headed-nationals

pucknut9
05-15-2018, 11:38 PM
Jimmie men’s golf team is in 15th place out of 29 teams at their national tourney in Illinois after day 1. Both men’s baseball and women’s softball teams are 1-1 in their respective regionals.

pucknut9
05-16-2018, 10:40 PM
Jimmie baseball team advances to the regional championship game tomorrow. They will need to beat Oklahoma City St twice to win it all. The Jimmie softball team has been eliminated. The men’s golf team had a rough go of it today. Shot 21 over compared to 13 over yesterday and are now in 19th place

pucknut9
05-18-2018, 08:23 PM
Jimmies fell one game short of making the World Series. Hell of a season nonetheless. Men’s golf team placed 19th and missed playing today by 12 strokes. They will be back

pucknut9
06-26-2018, 04:11 PM
UJ to add men’s volleyball for the 2020 season
https://www.jamestownsun.com/sports/volleyball/4464831-mens-serve-uj-adding-mens-volleyball-spring-2020

pucknut9
07-25-2018, 02:23 AM
UJ adds trapshooting to its club sports
http://www.jimmieathletics.com/SIDHelp/m/a%7C4488.php

AKBison
08-03-2018, 08:13 PM
UJ adds trapshooting to its club sports
http://www.jimmieathletics.com/SIDHelp/m/a%7C4488.php

I know it's private but UJ is really doing a good job separating itself from the other small schools in the state.

pucknut9
08-04-2018, 05:00 PM
I know it's private but UJ is really doing a good job separating itself from the other small schools in the state.
They have very generous alumni. Women’s hockey is the talk now.

pucknut9
09-11-2018, 07:40 PM
University of Jamestown has again received the highest regional college rankings of all North Dakota institutions in U.S. News and World Report’s “Best Colleges 2019” edition, released Sept. 10. The university and six other schools from the Great Plains Athletic Conference were ranked as a Best Regional College in the Midwest category.

http://www.jamestownsun.com/news/education/4497503-uj-ranks-highest-best-colleges

NDSU1980
09-20-2018, 03:43 AM
I'm surprised puck "forgot" to post this about Jamestown College. Sounds rather incompetent to not know who can play. They had two seasons wiped off the books for violations. http://www.inforum.com/sports/football/4501830-naia-levies-penalty-university-jamestown-football

Mr Meaty
09-20-2018, 01:46 PM
I'm surprised puck "forgot" to post this about Jamestown College. Sounds rather incompetent to not know who can play. They had two seasons wiped off the books for violations. http://www.inforum.com/sports/football/4501830-naia-levies-penalty-university-jamestown-football

I live here in Jamestown also and first time I heard about this. Posted in Jamestown Sun today. I work with a wife of one of the coaches. Did not want to talk about it.

Honeybooboo
09-20-2018, 02:12 PM
its ok, Coach is a UND ALum and according to Joel Heitkamp and Kermit the frog aka..Jack Michaels he is a class act and this slipped thru the cracks...

NDSU1980
09-20-2018, 08:57 PM
its ok, Coach is a UND ALum and according to Joel Heitkamp and Kermit the frog aka..Jack Michaels he is a class act and this slipped thru the cracks...

It figures, crap college run by even dumber people. Funny thing is, even though they were cheating with an ineligible player they still had a pathetic record. Oh well, at least now UN_ can be proud of their 3-8 record from last year, Jamestown College was winless for 2 years.

pucknut9
09-21-2018, 03:32 AM
I live here in Jamestown also and first time I heard about this. Posted in Jamestown Sun today. I work with a wife of one of the coaches. Did not want to talk about it.

First I had heard about it too. What surprises me the most is the Jimmies actually had 6 wins in those 2 seasons. Football program has stunk for quite some time now. At least they got the Paint Bucket back beating VC this year.

Mr Meaty
09-21-2018, 12:46 PM

Coach is a U of Jamestown grad.

Josh Kittell Image

Josh Kittell

Head Coach - 3rd Season

 University of Jamestown

 josh.kittell@uj.edu

 ext. 5420

Garrison, N.D., native Josh Kittell enters his third season as head football coach in 2018.

The former record-setting Jimmie quarterback was named head coach December 22, 2015.

Prior to being named the head coach of the Jimmies, Kittell served as an offensive quality control assistant at North Dakota State, which won their fifth consecutive FCS national championship.

Kittell was the Jimmies' offensive coordinator in 2014. Jamestown averaged just over 411 yards per game of total offense that season, the best mark for the program since Kittell's senior season as a player in 2008.

During Kittell's two years as the starting quarterback, the Jimmies posted a combined record of 16-5 and he led Jamestown to the 2007 NAIA playoffs. As a junior in 2007, the Jimmies posted a 9-2 record and claimed the Dakota Athletic Conference championship. He completed 64 percent of his passes for 2,320 yards and 22 touchdowns.

As a senior in 2008, Kittell led the Jimmies to a 7-3 record while setting single-season school records for passing yards (2,938), passes attempted (395), passes completed (249), and total offense (3,345). He set the single-game record for touchdown passes with 6 and most consecutive passes completed with 12 against Peru State in the 2008 season opener. He finished second in the nation in total offense, sixth in passing yards per game (293.8) and 22nd in passing efficiency.

After graduating from the University of Jamestown in 2008 with a degree in business administration, Kittell played professional football in Germany for the Franken Knights.

He returned to North Dakota to help start the football program at Dakota College at Bottineau, serving as offensive coordinator in 2009.

Kittell then moved to Minot State where he served as a graduate assistant from 2010 to 2011 and then as a full-time assistant for the Beavers during the 2012 and 2013 seasons. As a graduate assistant he worked with quarterbacks, outside linebackers and safeties. As a full-time assistant he served as wide receivers coach as well as kick-off return and punt return coordinator.

His older brother, Joe, is the head men's basketball coach at the University of Mary.

Josh Kittell University of Jamestown Coaching Record

Year W-L NSAA Points For Points Allowed Conference Finish
2016 2-9 1-5 227 327 T-3rd
2017 2-9 2-6 205 410 6th
Total 4-18 3-11 432 737

***Record not updated yet****

Good guy know him well. Tough deal but it is what it is. Move on from it and learn. That is all a person can do.

pucknut9
01-03-2019, 01:00 AM
North Dakota Hockey Day will be on the beautiful campus of the University of Jamestown January 19. Youth games start at 8:30 am followed by 2 high school games ending with the Jimmies taking on the U of Mary. Pray for 10-15 degree weather with no wind and clouds. Rink is set up on the west side of the library.

pucknut9
02-23-2019, 09:19 PM
UJ adding another men’s hockey team next season. This will be an ACHA Div 2 team unlike the Div 1 team playing now

AKBison
02-23-2019, 11:49 PM
UJ adding another men’s hockey team next season. This will be an ACHA Div 2 team unlike the Div 1 team playing now

Is this being set up as a JV/Varsity system so they can build depth for their program? Or, is it just that there is enough demand from the students that they needed a second club team?

pucknut9
02-24-2019, 12:23 AM
Is this being set up as a JV/Varsity system so they can build depth for their program? Or, is it just that there is enough demand from the students that they needed a second club team?

Great question. Truthfully not sure how it works. If you are on the D 2 team are you allowed to move up? I’ll have to look into that

Mr Meaty
03-01-2019, 12:17 PM
University of Jamestown won the conference tourney title over Morningside on Tuesday night. Both team were already heading to the National D2 NAIA tourney in Sioux Falls (Pentagon) . Tourney is March 6-11. Jimmies play SouthEastern Florida at 10:30 Wednesday morning. They are really run to watch. I know nothing about SE Fla. Thinking about road tripping down in the morning for the game. Have not decided yet.

pucknut9
03-04-2019, 08:21 PM
University of Jamestown won the conference tourney title over Morningside on Tuesday night. Both team were already heading to the National D2 NAIA tourney in Sioux Falls (Pentagon) . Tourney is March 6-11. Jimmies play SouthEastern Florida at 10:30 Wednesday morning. They are really run to watch. I know nothing about SE Fla. Thinking about road tripping down in the morning for the game. Have not decided yet.

One hell of an accomplishment

NDSU1980
03-17-2019, 06:29 PM

Hey, any chance for UND to get into this hockey league? Since they can't make the playoffs even when competing against D3 schools, maybe this would be a good fit for them. Seriously!

pucknut9
03-18-2019, 03:10 AM
UJ Men’s hockey team are in the Nationals once again. Play Robert Morris March 22nd. Winner gets number 1 Lindenwood

pucknut9
04-02-2019, 04:59 PM
UJ keeps adding sports
https://www.jamestownsun.com/news/education/4593424-uj-add-shooting-sports

pucknut9
04-26-2019, 03:49 PM
Welcome back Coach Stork
https://www.jamestownsun.com/sports/hockey/4604301-stork-returns-uj-adding-second-mens-team

pucknut9
05-01-2019, 11:53 PM
JAMESTOWN, N.D. (NewsDakota.com) – University of Jamestown Alum Will Bernhagen has completed his 600 mile journey from Wyoming.

The ’79 graduate undertook the walk to raise money for the final Outdoor Shield at Harold Newman Arena. In 27 days, Bernhagen battled wind, rain, and sun to make the trek from Sheridan, Wyoming.
https://www.newsdakota.com/2019/05/01/uj-alum-bernhagen-wraps-up-600-mile-walk-to-jamestown-wednesday/

Mr Meaty
05-02-2019, 12:04 PM
JAMESTOWN, N.D. (NewsDakota.com) – University of Jamestown Alum Will Bernhagen has completed his 600 mile journey from Wyoming.

The ’79 graduate undertook the walk to raise money for the final Outdoor Shield at Harold Newman Arena. In 27 days, Bernhagen battled wind, rain, and sun to make the trek from Sheridan, Wyoming.
https://www.newsdakota.com/2019/05/01/uj-alum-bernhagen-wraps-up-600-mile-walk-to-jamestown-wednesday/

Saw him coming into town around noon yesterday with some of the students from the U.

southcliffbison
05-02-2019, 02:36 PM
Saw him coming into town around noon yesterday with some of the students from the U.

Anu idea as to how much money he raised ? I hope it was worth the trek.

pucknut9
05-02-2019, 06:20 PM
Anu idea as to how much money he raised ? I hope it was worth the trek.

30 thousand

pucknut9
05-07-2019, 09:52 PM
Jimmies are GPAC Conference baseball champs
https://www.newsdakota.com/2019/05/07/fitz-shutouts-concordia-as-jimmies-win-gpac-audio/?fbclid=IwAR3qz7RC8z5RCZ9D8U_f5pPJ2Pm385yPN8rbOJGb 7cyXOiXR3CTog48bwsY

pucknut9
05-10-2019, 02:24 AM
JAMESTOWN, N.D. (NewsDakota.com) – The University of Jamestown baseball learned their fate this afternoon for the NAIA Baseball Opening Round, which takes place at nine sites across the county, and they are headed to Santa Barbara, California. The five-team tournament will be hosted by Westmont College.

DePereBisonFan
05-10-2019, 06:14 PM
UJ keeps adding sports
https://www.jamestownsun.com/news/education/4593424-uj-add-shooting-sports

That is actually really cool. I keep wondering why so many posts about the U of Jamestown though - what am I missing? Is it just bv's favorite school in terms of news about other schools?

pucknut9
05-12-2019, 05:47 PM
This NDSU1980 guy on here doesn’t think anyone should post about UJ even though the title says News about other schools. Post away fellas

scottietohottie
05-12-2019, 06:09 PM
This NDSU1980 guy on here doesn’t think anyone should post about UJ even though the title says News about other schools. Post away fellas

I got offered a scholarship to play linebacker at Jamestown after the coach saw me play baseball. He said why the hell did you tell us you where a lineman your a linebacker that got stuck on a 9man line. I told him I'd rather go party at ndsu.

You're welcome I just related it all.

pucknut9
05-12-2019, 06:13 PM
I got offered a scholarship to play linebacker at Jamestown after the coach saw me play baseball. He said why the hell did you tell us you where a lineman your a linebacker that got stuck on a 9man line. I told him I'd rather go party at ndsu.

You're welcome I just related it all.

Football team has stunk for years and don’t see it getting any better any time soon unless this new coach can be a miracle worker

scottietohottie
05-12-2019, 06:15 PM
Football team has stunk for years and don’t see it getting any better any time soon unless this new coach can be a miracle worker

They stole north prairie high school football coach a couple years ago. Think he was just an assistant at Jamestown. Oc or something. He still there?

pucknut9
05-12-2019, 06:24 PM
They stole north prairie high school football coach a couple years ago. Think he was just an assistant at Jamestown. Oc or something. He still there?

Give me a name and could tell ya.

scottietohottie
05-12-2019, 06:52 PM
Give me a name and could tell ya.

Motl. DC I guess

scottietohottie
05-12-2019, 06:54 PM
He was a good high school coach. I told a couple parents no way in hell he'd stick around long

pucknut9
05-12-2019, 07:04 PM
Motl. DC I guess

Starting his 4th season as DC

NDSU1980
05-12-2019, 07:06 PM

Too bad you aren't as interested in NDSU athletics as you are about jamestown college or anything hockey. Name of the website is Bisonville afterall.

pucknut9
05-12-2019, 07:28 PM
Too bad you aren't as interested in NDSU athletics as you are about jamestown college or anything hockey. Name of the website is Bisonville afterall.

Yep no interest at all. Only been going to Bison football games since the early 70’s. Nice try bud and your obsession with me is getting a bit creepy.

scottietohottie
05-12-2019, 07:34 PM

I'd rather see the Vikings fans get harassed here

Mr Meaty
05-12-2019, 07:42 PM
Yep no interest at all. Only been going to Bison football games since the early 70’s. Nice try bud and your obsession with me is getting a bit creepy.

Puck, I am with you. I have season football and men’s basketball tickets for NDSU and Teammaker and also live in Jamestown. I get to Jimmies hoops when bison are on the road. Jimmie booster as well. Jimmie hoops are fun games. Baseball team won the GPAC and off to the playoff Monday. Go Bison and Go Jimmies.

pucknut9
05-12-2019, 08:54 PM
Puck, I am with you. I have season football and men’s basketball tickets for NDSU and Teammaker and also live in Jamestown. I get to Jimmies hoops when bison are on the road. Jimmie booster as well. Jimmie hoops are fun games. Baseball team won the GPAC and off to the playoff Monday. Go Bison and Go Jimmies.

Exactly buddy.

ByeSonBusiness
05-13-2019, 08:00 PM
Nothing wrong with townies having a thread about the townie school.

FWIW, I only been to Jimmie events probs ~5 times ever but I still check in and see how they are doing from time to time. New basketball arena looks nice!

pucknut9
05-13-2019, 08:19 PM
Unfortunately the Jimmies lost a tough one today to Arizona Christian 5-4. Play in a loser out game tomorrow at 9am

pucknut9
05-15-2019, 02:08 AM
Jimmie baseball team finishes 35-18 after losing today 7-3. Coach Hager has done a great job with the program and I expect them to be contending for a GPAC title again next season. He’s one of the most intense coaches I have ever witnessed. Puts that intensity into his recruiting too

pucknut9
05-16-2019, 01:31 PM
“The University of Jamestown has seen some growth and that drove the need for additional housing,” said Polly Peterson, president of the university. “... there is also a need for (retail) services in that area. Really, it is a hub of activity with limited services.”

UJ Place is planned as a five-story building offering 56 housing units on the upper four levels and 13,000 square feet of commercial space on the main floor. The building is planned for across the street north of the Harold Newman Arena in the area previously occupied by the Jamestown Parks and Recreation Department’s outdoor swimming pool. That pool was demolished last summer and swimming activities are now held at the Two Rivers Activity Center

https://www.jamestownsun.com/news/education/4613602-uj-place-housing-and-commercial-center-planned-campus

pucknut9
09-09-2019, 10:37 PM
“We are pleased to once again be recognized by U.S. News and World Report as a best regional college in the Midwest,” said UJ President, Dr. Polly Peterson. As the top ranked University in the state in any category, we are proud to be recognized for the quality of the educational experience we provide and the successes that our alumni achieve after graduation.”

https://www.uj.edu/university-news

pucknut9
09-12-2019, 11:36 PM
Jimmie womens volleyball team ranked 13th in the nation. Highest they have ever been ranked. Men’s team start their inaugural season this year also

Mr Meaty
10-17-2019, 12:53 PM
NDSU beat U of J last night in hockey 8-5. NDSU went 3-1 vs Jimmies in the 4 games played this month.
U of J Men's basketball kicks off hosting U of Winnipeg Friday and U of Brandon Saturday.
Women BB starts Saturday with U of Manitoba.

AKBison
10-18-2019, 05:02 PM
NDSU beat U of J last night in hockey 8-5. NDSU went 3-1 vs Jimmies in the 4 games played this month.
U of J Men's basketball kicks off hosting U of Winnipeg Friday and U of Brandon Saturday.

Thanks for the updates. I have soft spot for the Jimmies since they aren't bleeding the state of money and have done an excellent job of getting the community and region to embrace
them. Furthermore, their alumni, many who I know to be die hard Bison fans, also monetarily support UJ. They have a great thing going there, keep it up.

pucknut9
10-26-2019, 06:19 PM
That is the D2 Jimmies hockey team not their D1 team. Night and day talent wise between the two

southcliffbison
10-29-2019, 03:52 PM
That is the D2 Jimmies hockey team not their D1 team. Night and day talent wise between the two

You mean like a JV and Varsity team??? Who does the Varsity compete against?

pucknut9
11-02-2019, 01:25 PM
You mean like a JV and Varsity team??? Who does the Varsity compete against?

Their big rival is Minot St and the U of Mary not far behind. Here is the ACHA D1 website:
http://achahockey.org/view/achahockey/divisions/men-s-d1-4

pucknut9
11-08-2019, 06:25 PM
Big win last in overtime over UNLV 4-3. Jimmies are on a roll. Utah in town tonight and tomorrow for a pair.

pucknut9
11-23-2019, 02:44 PM
Jimmie women’s volleyball team won the GPAC regular season title and now qualify for the national tourney. Meanwhile the men’s hockey team are currently on a 11 game win streak and ranked 8th in the nation

Mr Meaty
12-05-2019, 12:58 PM
U of J men beat Dordt College last night 110-107 in OT. Dordt was up 30-10 in the first 8 minutes of the game. Dordt shot 61% in the first half and a lot of them were 3 pointers. Lead ballooned to 25. Both teams played really hard and clean. Refs did an excellent job for both teams. The Newman Arena was rocking last night. One of the best basketball games I have seen this year. Now maybe the Bison men can have an exciting game Saturday. Fingers crossed.

pucknut9
12-07-2019, 01:00 PM
Women’s volleyball team have reached the national semi finals
https://www.newsdakota.com/2019/12/07/jimmies-seal-trip-to-final-four-with-upset-of-nwc/

pucknut9
12-07-2019, 11:08 PM
And unfortunately that’s where their season ends but what a season it was.

Mr Meaty
12-09-2019, 12:15 PM
And unfortunately that’s where their season ends but what a season it was.

It sure was. I got over to watch few matches. Plus there is a fair amount of local talent on the team as well. Great Job by all the players and coaches.

pucknut9
12-11-2019, 08:52 PM
It sure was. I got over to watch few matches. Plus there is a fair amount of local talent on the team as well. Great Job by all the players and coaches.

Saw some matches myself. I believe there were 6 players on the team who played Class B volleyball in North Dakota

pucknut9
01-19-2020, 03:41 PM
Hockey Day North Dakota saw a classic Friday night when the Jimmies beat Minot St outdoors at the UJ campus 2-1 in a 28 player shootout in a 4 hour game because of all the snow. Great crowd and the D2 team will take on UNDs club team tonight at 8. High school and youth games tomorrow

pucknut9
01-29-2020, 02:32 PM
The University of Jamestown men's volleyball team is ready.

"We're getting a little bit chirpy with each other," said Riley Salmon, the head coach of UJ's newest sports program. "Everybody's just edgy and ready to play, so it'll be good to see someone across the net other than ourselves. But it's a good energy."

The first-ever UJ men's volleyball team will open the 2020 season with a tri-match Saturday in Sioux City, Iowa. The Jimmies will face host team Dordt University at 11 a.m., before battling Viterbo (Wisconsin) at 1 p.m.

https://www.jamestownsun.com/sports/volleyball/4885632-Ready-for-battle-UJ-mens-volleyball-season-set-to-start

Mr Meaty
02-07-2020, 06:03 PM
U of J Mens game on Wednesday night got exciting. Not a good look for U of J or Mount Marty. Some coaches and players better take a hard look at themselves for the way the acted.

NDSU1980
02-09-2020, 02:31 PM
U of J Mens game on Wednesday night got exciting. Not a good look for U of J or Mount Marty. Some coaches and players better take a hard look at themselves for the way the acted.

Well let's hear all the details! So did Jamestown College coaches slug it out with Mount Marty or what?

pucknut9
02-10-2020, 03:58 PM
Jimmies DI ACHA hockey team up to number 11 in country with an 18-5 record

http://achahockey.org/view/achahockey/acha-hockey-news/news_528878

pucknut9
03-11-2020, 11:39 PM
COSTA MESA, Calif.-- The University of Jamestown men's volleyball team earned its first win over a top-10 opponent in program history on Tuesday, defeating No. 8 Vanguard University 3-1. Set scores were 25-17, 21-25, 25-19, 25-15.

Jimmies are now 11-2 in their inaugural season

pucknut9
05-20-2020, 01:20 PM
While other universities are dropping sports UJ just keeps adding them

The University of Jamestown has announced the hiring of Alex Raasch as its first women's swimming and diving head coach. The program will begin competition in 2021-22 while Raasch will spend the 2020-21 season recruiting.

https://www.jamestownsun.com/sports/swimming-and-diving/6498384-University-of-Jamestown-adding-womens-swimdive-team

El_Chapo
05-20-2020, 04:35 PM
this is what happens when Academia doesn't say NO to anything.

ByeSonBusiness
05-20-2020, 05:24 PM
this is what happens when Academia doesn't say NO to anything.

Jamestown uses sports to get more students.

Student-athletes = Students paying tuition.

IndyBison
05-20-2020, 07:13 PM

This is very common with D3 schools. We have 12 or 14 in Indiana and it's not uncommon for half their freshmen class to be student athletes. Many of them end up dropping the sport after a year or two, but it was the school's way to recruit them.

Some of you may be familiar with Marian University. It's an NAIA school in Indy. 15 years ago the school was struggling and in danger of closing. They decided to go all in on a football program. They hired a good coach known for recruiting at the small college level. They recruited heavily in the Indy metro area and slowly built a very good team. They only won 1 game their first year but have had a wining record each of the last 12 seasons with at least 10 wins in 8 of the last 10. They have appeared in 4 of the last 8 national championship games winning 2 of them. This has energized alumni and the student body. They have added a nursing school and a medical school (DO) and are building like crazy. In the last 4 years the women's basketball team has won 2 national titles, volleyball won once, and women's soccer played in a national championship. Building a successful football program completely changed the culture of the entire campus!

pucknut9
05-20-2020, 09:17 PM

Exactly and it seems to be working. Women’s hockey could very well be next

El_Chapo
05-20-2020, 10:04 PM
well I can see that.

pucknut9
05-25-2020, 10:50 PM
This is very common with D3 schools. We have 12 or 14 in Indiana and it's not uncommon for half their freshmen class to be student athletes. Many of them end up dropping the sport after a year or two, but it was the school's way to recruit them.

Some of you may be familiar with Marian University. It's an NAIA school in Indy. 15 years ago the school was struggling and in danger of closing. They decided to go all in on a football program. They hired a good coach known for recruiting at the small college level. They recruited heavily in the Indy metro area and slowly built a very good team. They only won 1 game their first year but have had a wining record each of the last 12 seasons with at least 10 wins in 8 of the last 10. They have appeared in 4 of the last 8 national championship games winning 2 of them. This has energized alumni and the student body. They have added a nursing school and a medical school (DO) and are building like crazy. In the last 4 years the women's basketball team has won 2 national titles, volleyball won once, and women's soccer played in a national championship. Building a successful football program completely changed the culture of the entire campus!

UJ hasn’t had a successful football team in a long long time. In the meantime they’ve had other programs do very well. I can see your point where a successful football program could have a trickle down effect to the other sports but that isn’t the case at UJ

pucknut9
06-23-2020, 06:53 PM
Great addition to the school and Jamestown

https://epiccompaniesnd.com/properties/uj-place/

Mr Meaty
07-21-2020, 06:40 PM
U of J and Jamestown High School announced today that they will partner in a renovated project together to the bowl U of J football field sits in. The west side of the bowl will be the new press boxes and home seating with new bleachers and the east side will have vistitors seating. A new regulation track will be installed around the football field. Current track is unusable. The football field will have turf. New score board. Jamestown High school will put in a practice field next to high school that will also be large enough to have soccer on it. They have raised just over $6MM for the project and plans to go to work this fall and have it all ready for 2021 football season.

pucknut9
07-22-2020, 12:57 AM
U of J and Jamestown High School announced today that they will partner in a renovated project together to the bowl U of J football field sits in. The west side of the bowl will be the new press boxes and home seating with new bleachers and the east side will have vistitors seating. A new regulation track will be installed around the football field. Current track is unusable. The football field will have turf. New score board. Jamestown High school will put in a practice field next to high school that will also be large enough to have soccer on it. They have raised just over $6MM for the project and plans to go to work this fall and have it all ready for 2021 football season.

Truthfully it’s about damn time. Was talking to one of the top administrators at UJ and it was the high school brass that was holding it back all this time. Not surprised one bit. Finally a turf field

ByeSonBusiness
07-22-2020, 02:45 PM
Truthfully it’s about damn time. Was talking to one of the top administrators at UJ and it was the high school brass that was holding it back all this time. Not surprised one bit. Finally a turf field

Lots of fun memories on that field and a few not so good. Kind of a bummer that the Jays won't be playing there anymore but I fully understand the deal of just having one football venue in town. We already have a soccer field at the high school, or we did 10 years ago. I'm assuming that is still there. Would this new field just be for soccer to use when the football team is not there to avoid wear and tear on their regular field?

I hate football fields with tracks around them from a fan perspective, but I suppose that's small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. Wonder if Washington School is gonna be around much longer.

Mr Meaty
07-22-2020, 03:49 PM
Lots of fun memories on that field and a few not so good. Kind of a bummer that the Jays won't be playing there anymore but I fully understand the deal of just having one football venue in town. We already have a soccer field at the high school, or we did 10 years ago. I'm assuming that is still there. Would this new field just be for soccer to use when the football team is not there to avoid wear and tear on their regular field?

I hate football fields with tracks around them from a fan perspective, but I suppose that's small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. Wonder if Washington School is gonna be around much longer.

I would think Washington School is even more on the chopping block now. Hard to say though.

ByeSonBusiness
07-22-2020, 04:46 PM
I would think Washington School is even more on the chopping block now. Hard to say though.

What are class sizes like right now? Would they need to build a new school or?

Mr Meaty
07-22-2020, 05:32 PM
What are class sizes like right now? Would they need to build a new school or?

Not sure on the size of classes there.

pucknut9
07-24-2020, 07:54 PM
Not sure on the size of classes there.

Wasn’t Washington suppose to close like 10-15 years ago?

IndyBison
07-25-2020, 02:57 PM

I hate football fields with tracks around them from a fan perspective, but I suppose that's small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. Wonder if Washington School is gonna be around much longer.I don't hate fields with tracks but I love the intimacy of fans closer to the field. One of our D3 schools had stands right behind the bench and maybe 15 feet from the sideline. When I'm there for a kickoff I can smell someone's bad breath I'm so close.

They built a nice new stadium this off-season and put the track around it. It just won't be the same.

This photo was taken from the top row of the visitor stands. You can see the railing below and the proximity to the sideline. It's tighter than even the Fargodone.

Here is video from a couple months ago. You can see the old stadium in the background in some of the shots.

https://youtu.be/GCDaQ5UwYHghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200725/e9c715779a4179ee9ff4b753f19c9e57.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

southcliffbison
07-27-2020, 12:43 AM
UJ hasn’t had a successful football team in a long long time. In the meantime they’ve had other programs do very well. I can see your point where a successful football program could have a trickle down effect to the other sports but that isn’t the case at UJ

Yes, they haven't had a successful football program in a while; in fact, they are in danger of becoming the UMary/Minot State of the GPAC football conference. However, kudos to the folks in Jamestown in their efforts to up grade their facilities. I am sure Rollie Greeno is smiling.

pucknut9
08-20-2020, 09:16 PM
Jimmies football still on schedule. Open on the road Sept 12 at Briar Cliff University and first home game will be Sept 26 against Northwestern College

El_Chapo
08-20-2020, 11:46 PM
Jimmies football still on schedule. Open on the road Sept 12 at Briar Cliff University and first home game will be Sept 26 against Northwestern College

F it. Tailgate at Jimmies game. Frisco Cruise En Route to Iowa Sept 11 (it'll take us a day)

AKBison
08-21-2020, 01:31 AM
Would love to see the Jimmies embrace Bison fans for a game. Set up a tailgating area, encourage folks to wear the green or yellow mask and have a Bison home game for UJ. How many seats does the bowl hold? Their admin and AD seem to be the only ones with enough Moxy in this state to pull it off. They could also do a UND event as well.

El_Chapo
08-21-2020, 01:46 AM
Would love to see the Jimmies embrace Bison fans for a game. Set up a tailgating area, encourage folks to wear the green or yellow mask and have a Bison home game for UJ. How many seats does the bowl hold? Their admin and AD seem to be the only ones with enough Moxy in this state to pull it off. They could also do a UND event as well.

well, they are private & not at the legislature's teet

ByeSonBusiness
08-21-2020, 04:40 AM

Jamestown doesn't do masks lol.

pucknut9
08-21-2020, 09:51 PM
Jamestown doesn't do masks lol.

Most businesses require masks.

El_Chapo
08-22-2020, 05:38 AM

"require" just wave some money and that ends real quick

unbison
08-22-2020, 10:15 AM
"require" just wave some money and that ends real quick
You have to have some first

ByeSonBusiness
08-22-2020, 10:08 PM

Right, but the city itself hasn't done anything as far as I know.

bruinbison
09-29-2020, 08:46 PM
University of Jamestown Spud’s football team offers
4 Moorhead High School Jimmies today:

Max Soeth - 6’ 2” 260 - OL
Thomas Myers - 6’ 2” 210 - DE/LB
Brady Walthall - 6’ 1” 170 - WR
Blake Walthall - 6’ 1” 170 - WR

pucknut9
10-18-2020, 03:43 PM
University of Jamestown Spud’s football team offers
4 Moorhead High School Jimmies today:

Max Soeth - 6’ 2” 260 - OL
Thomas Myers - 6’ 2” 210 - DE/LB
Brady Walthall - 6’ 1” 170 - WR
Blake Walthall - 6’ 1” 170 - WR

Hopefully they can help turn the program around. Currently 0-3 and none have been close. Meanwhile the women’s volleyball team remains undefeated in conference play after beating Midland last night 3-1. Excellent match from both teams

pucknut9
12-02-2020, 10:21 PM
UJ has now added a women’s swimming and diving team

bruinbison
12-10-2020, 02:29 PM
Jody Norstedt
@NorstedtMidcoSN
·Dec 9

I thought this a couple years ago and it's turned out to be true.
@JHSBlueJaysBBB

@masonwalters24 was an absolute steal for Jimmies. He's one of the top players in NAIA already and just a sophomore. He had 28 pts, 16 reb last night.

This season: 23.7 ppg, 13.3 rpg in 11 games

Mason Walters looked great on Jamestown’s state champs as a senior, with Boden Skunberg as a junior. Now listed at 6’ 9” 215. (iirc was 6’ 7” as a hs senior)
Was surprised NDSU didn’t offer at least a PWO (or did they???)

Jamestown University gets a couple commits from Win-E-Mac from high school football prospects.

District 9 Honors (wasn’t that a movie title?)
Lineman of the Year – Gavin Haskett (Win-E-Mac)
Kobe Hamre - All-District

Bisonguy
12-10-2020, 07:39 PM
Haven't seen this posted anywhere else, but there's a gofundme setup for Tommy Nienhaus, the Jamestown men's soccer coach who has been hospitalized for a month now-

https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-coach-tommy

pucknut9
12-11-2020, 05:08 PM
Haven't seen this posted anywhere else, but there's a gofundme setup for Tommy Nienhaus, the Jamestown men's soccer coach who has been hospitalized for a month now-

https://www.gofundme.com/f/support-coach-tommy

Unfortunately he’s back in a coma and did a trach and feeding tube. Going to try to bring him out again this week.

pucknut9
12-16-2020, 03:12 PM
Unfortunately he’s back in a coma and did a trach and feeding tube. Going to try to bring him out again this week.

Coach Nienhaus is doing much better. Off the ventilator and up and laughing and ready to go home soon

Mr Meaty
12-16-2020, 03:59 PM
Coach Nienhaus is doing much better. Off the ventilator and up and laughing and ready to go home soon

Good to hear. Been a battle for him.

pucknut9
12-28-2020, 01:03 AM
Coach Nienhaus is coming home tomorrow. Greeting him home at the UJ Place at 1:15. He battled Covid and beat it

pucknut9
12-28-2020, 07:15 PM
He has returned home
https://twitter.com/jimmieathletics/status/1343649285242437633?s=21

Mr Meaty
12-28-2020, 09:45 PM
He has returned home
https://twitter.com/jimmieathletics/status/1343649285242437633?s=21

That is great news. Glad to see him back. Here is to a full recovery and back to normal, whatever that is now a days.

ByeSonBusiness
12-29-2020, 12:53 AM
Coach Nienhaus is coming home tomorrow. Greeting him home at the UJ Place at 1:15. He battled Covid and beat it

Hell yeah. Jamestown wins again. Eat shit rona

pucknut9
01-04-2021, 03:08 PM
Sounds like in 2 years they will be adding a women’s hockey team. This has been in the talks for 5 years now but it really sounds like it’s going to happen. I hope it does. Will give more opportunities for gals in our state a chance to continue playing a sport they love while obviously getting a great education

southcliffbison
01-10-2021, 11:14 PM
Sounds like in 2 years they will be adding a women’s hockey team. This has been in the talks for 5 years now but it really sounds like it’s going to happen. I hope it does. Will give more opportunities for gals in our state a chance to continue playing a sport they love while obviously getting a great education

Gotta ask this, pucknut9, how in the world is the University of Jamestown funding all of these outlier sports? I mean women's hockey?? Really?? Some person/persons/corporation has some very deep pockets...…..

Yote 53
01-11-2021, 01:47 PM
Since it is ACHA club hockey the school doesn't really have to commit a lot of resources to the hockey programs. I believe club sports at most colleges are funded partially by student activity fees, so that may provide some support for coach's salaries, etc., but I would guess most of the budget comes from the players. ACHA is a pay-to-play model. Corporate sponsorships would keep hockey tuition costs down, or maybe even make it free. School tuition would be on the student-athletes. It really is not much different than NCAA D3 schools where athletics helps to drive up school enrollment.

ByeSonBusiness
01-11-2021, 03:19 PM
Gotta ask this, pucknut9, how in the world is the University of Jamestown funding all of these outlier sports? I mean women's hockey?? Really?? Some person/persons/corporation has some very deep pockets...…..

Here is my basic understanding of the UJ model.

UJ is a small school and an absurd amount of their students are there to continue playing sports, or some other extra-curricular activity (music/art stuff comes to mind).

For most of the kids going there, it's not "basketball is paying for my education" but rather "im here because it was an opportunity to keep playing basketball." Since athletics drives enrollment, I suppose it makes sense for them to add sports when they see an opportunity. Anything requiring a gym, football field, soccer field, or hockey arena is covered facilities-wise at this point.

So for them, women's hockey is not going to be the financial drain it was at UND, they'll get 25 new students (or whatever number is on a team) out of the deal paying tuition, the city has an arena, conveniently on or next to the campus, and they can provide coaching opportunities to local and/or young people (IOW cheap).

A few years ago I didn't understand how that place works but I think its starting to make sense now. If you look at sports there the way you look at NDSU/UND, it will make zero sense. For them, its a way to get more essentially guaranteed students at the school. Those recruits have friends, siblings, and significant others too, might snag one or two of them to come to Jamestown or at least raise some awareness.

A few of my friends transferred home from NDSU/UND literally because they missed playing competitive sports too, so the more athletics opportunities they provide, the more of those kids they can grab too.

Tl;dr version: athletics costs them much less, and drives their enrollment rather than just enhancing it like it does at D1 schools.