PDA

View Full Version : LeCompte to Chicago

BisonTru
05-01-2016, 03:13 AM
BBLIV ‏@lecomptey19 5m5 minutes ago Fargo, ND
Bear Down baby! Extremely grateful to have the opportunity to prove myself in the Windy City! 🐻🐻

Mr Meaty
05-01-2016, 03:14 AM
Congrats Ben. Da Bears!!!!

westnodak93bison
05-01-2016, 03:14 AM
BBLIV ‏@lecomptey19 5m5 minutes ago Fargo, ND
Bear Down baby! Extremely grateful to have the opportunity to prove myself in the Windy City! 🐻🐻
About time. Good luck Ben!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

StL Bison Fan
05-01-2016, 03:15 AM
Thank goodness! I followed his tweets and was starting to get worried.

MNLonghorn10
05-01-2016, 03:18 AM
awesome. Wish the Vikes would've nabbed him and end the Jeff Locke era.

1978Bison
05-01-2016, 03:20 AM
Good luck Ben! You deserve a shot! Thanks for all your contributions to the Bison success!

North Side
05-01-2016, 03:22 AM
This has to be the most Free Agent offers of any year in NDSU history. I think its because all the scouts came to proday to see Carson and were able to see others. Hopefully they keep coming next year too!

Bison 4 Life
05-01-2016, 03:25 AM
This has to be a thrill for him and his family. His parents were on the same outbound flight from Missoula as me and I talked to his mom a bit. We commiserated over the loss and they told me they drive a RV all over for his games.

bisonp
05-01-2016, 03:51 AM
Damn it, I was really hoping the Vikings would pick him up. I have no doubt he's better than Locke.

But congrats to Ben, and good luck!

Rockbear99
05-01-2016, 04:18 AM
Haven't had a Bison on the Bears to cheer for since the Defensive Lineman Justin Frick was in camp

BisonTeacher
05-01-2016, 04:22 AM
awesome. Wish the Vikes would've nabbed him and end the Jeff Locke era.

This......Of all the UDFAs....this is the one I thought deserved the most attention. Disappointed it wasnt to the vikes.

stevdock
05-01-2016, 04:35 AM
YES We finally got one :) Yes he's gotta beat out O'Connell but I think he's got an excellent chance to stick. Punter has got to be one of the crappiest jobs in the world. Nobody really ever wants to see you hit the field but having a great one can really turn the field completely around.

wilson
05-01-2016, 04:46 AM
https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/726611652431458304
Ben had interest in the Vikes, but they weren't. I'm pretty disappointed in that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

thebigund
05-01-2016, 06:02 AM
Good for him. I think he's got a shot at a nice career. He's a stud.

BisonHorns
05-01-2016, 11:16 AM
Great news! He was an amazing player for the Bison. He will likely have a long career that we can continue to enjoy.

bisonmike2
05-01-2016, 11:58 AM
As Packer fan this pleases me. I hope Ben gets the job and that the Bears have to use his services repeatedly.

tony
05-01-2016, 12:51 PM
In the Kolpack and Izzo show Ben says why he didn't think Chicago was his best fit since their currrent is so good, but it's been his dream to play for Da Bears so bring on the competition! Great interview, btw. http://www.wday.com/radio/4022176-970-wday-demand-kolpack-izzo I also added it to the podcast thread... put aside an hour because it's really good stuff.

Not surprised at all that the Vikings did not sign him - it's more that I'd be flabbergasted if the Vikings ever sign a NDSU player.

A1pigskin
05-01-2016, 01:17 PM
The Vikes recruit like the Gophers. Not very well.

Glad to hear Ben gets a chance. Good luck Ben.

td577
05-01-2016, 02:12 PM

Right now the Vikings are having a tough time with signing UDFAs because they have the deepest roster they have had in a while. For a lot of positions, there are better opportunities out there than the Vikings. Punter is not one of them, though. I thought the Vikes would be a good fit for Ben to get a great chance to compete. Either way, Ben is going to get looked at by more than just the Bears in all of this and if coaches like someone they don't have room for in the end, they talk to other coaches.

Ben has a lot of things going for him. His stats improved every year he was a Bison. He added another feature to his game every offseason. Not only did his averages improve, his hang time significantly improved from season to season. Knowing he will work hard and can show results of his work goes a long ways. The biggest attribute was his consistency. You can roll tape on him and he was like clockwork in delivery every single time. Even the greatest punters shank a ball here and there but Ben's can be counted very easily during a time he was developing. I expect him to make it on a NFL roster for someone at some point. Punters don't necessarily make it on the first team that gives them a chance, but the first step is getting a chance and making the most of it.

A1pigskin
05-01-2016, 03:47 PM
Right now the Vikings are having a tough time with signing UDFAs because they have the deepest roster they have had in a while. For a lot of positions, there are better opportunities out there than the Vikings. Punter is not one of them, though. I thought the Vikes would be a good fit for Ben to get a great chance to compete. Either way, Ben is going to get looked at by more than just the Bears in all of this and if coaches like someone they don't have room for in the end, they talk to other coaches.

Ben has a lot of things going for him. His stats improved every year he was a Bison. He added another feature to his game every offseason. Not only did his averages improve, his hang time significantly improved from season to season. Knowing he will work hard and can show results of his work goes a long ways. The biggest attribute was his consistency. You can roll tape on him and he was like clockwork in delivery every single time. Even the greatest punters shank a ball here and there but Ben's can be counted very easily during a time he was developing. I expect him to make it on a NFL roster for someone at some point. Punters don't necessarily make it on the first team that gives them a chance, but the first step is getting a chance and making the most of it.

At least he is getting a chance to show all the things you mentioned.

MNLonghorn10
05-01-2016, 03:56 PM

what the hell does signing UFDA's have to do with with recruiting classes? Losing Locke would be a dream scenario for most Viking fans but he was a 5th round pick a few years that hasnt panned so we're stuck with him. I totally see the connection there and with Punky Brewster during his tenure failing to keep top in state talent in state.

:facepalm:

One thing we do know, is that the Vikings and Gophers recruit better than North Dakotas NFL and FBS teams

natstar1
05-01-2016, 04:29 PM
Darren Wolfson ‏@DWolfsonKSTP
NDSU's Ben LeCompte is now indeed coming to #Vikings rookie camp, I'm told. Good punter and kickoff guy.

Bison 4 Life
05-01-2016, 04:29 PM
Looks like he got an invite to the Vikings minicamp too. They need him more than the Bears do.

ZHerd
05-01-2016, 05:25 PM
Darren Wolfson ‏@DWolfsonKSTP
NDSU's Ben LeCompte is now indeed coming to #Vikings rookie camp, I'm told. Good punter and kickoff guy.

Glad to see this. The Vikings would be total shmucks to pass on this obvious opportunity to give their current worthless punter some competition.

BisonTeacher
05-01-2016, 05:46 PM
Awesome!!!

MNLonghorn10
05-01-2016, 06:26 PM
http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/yTG0R.gif

wtffootballfan
05-01-2016, 06:43 PM
Vikings invites.

UPDATE: We also have some rookie camp invitees for you to check out.

Ben LeCompte, P, North Dakota State (via Darren Wolfson)
Brandon Zylstra, WR, Concordia (Moorhead, MN) (via Eric Peterson)
Joshua Gordon, DE, Minnesota State-Mankato (via Darren Wolfson)
Marshaun Coprich, RB, Illinois State (via Christian Shanafelt)

StL Bison Fan
05-01-2016, 06:46 PM
Vikings invites.

Coprich. Remember: Just say no, Ben

wtffootballfan
05-01-2016, 07:31 PM
Vikings invites.

Coprich has now signed a 3 year deal with the Giants.

HerdBot
05-01-2016, 07:35 PM
http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/yTG0R.gif

Hell yeah I'm fired up. Not as fired up as this guy but pretty darn fired up!!

wtffootballfan
05-01-2016, 07:38 PM
LeCompte rejecting Bears offer, only going to the Vikings.

natstar1
05-01-2016, 08:07 PM

would have to think this is one of the best opportunities make a team

BisonTru
05-01-2016, 08:13 PM

Incorrect. LeCompte plans on attending both mini camps.

Bisonator98
05-01-2016, 11:19 PM
what the hell does signing UFDA's have to do with with recruiting classes? Losing Locke would be a dream scenario for most Viking fans but he was a 5th round pick a few years that hasnt panned so we're stuck with him. I totally see the connection there and with Punky Brewster during his tenure failing to keep top in state talent in state.

:facepalm:

One thing we do know, is that the Vikings and Gophers recruit better than North Dakotas NFL and FBS teams

Wow that's saying a lot. :facepalm:

MNLonghorn10
05-01-2016, 11:55 PM
Wow that's saying a lot. :facepalm:
I know right.. Let's take jabs at neighboring states for no reason what so ever

NDSU1980
05-02-2016, 12:01 AM
Yea, like no one in the Twin Cities ever took a cheap shot at anything in the state of North Dakota.

CaBisonFan
05-02-2016, 12:40 AM
Pointless interstate jabs...and old too...dating back to our first game against the Gophers.

Good luck Ben.

2011BisonAlumni
05-02-2016, 04:20 PM

Minnesota sucks. That isn't a jab. That is an irrefutable fact.

Vet70
05-02-2016, 04:27 PM

Lay off the Vikings---at least they managed to get all of their draft picks in on time.

MNLonghorn10
05-02-2016, 04:30 PM
It has its down falls but nothing could be as bad as being friends with gap teeth

EndZoneQB
05-02-2016, 04:51 PM

We don't want or need you. That is absolutely an opinion because I choose to have my name on a Minnesota drivers license.

2011BisonAlumni
05-02-2016, 06:11 PM
It has its down falls but nothing could be as bad as being friends with gap teeth

Who the hell said I was his friend? My Dad went to high school with him and knows him well. Agree or disagree with his politics, Joel is a nice guy.

As for living in Minnesota, I just couldn't possibly imagine living in a state with that high of taxes, especially if you are in Moorhead and could easily live right across the river.

1998braves64
05-02-2016, 06:19 PM
Who the hell said I was his friend? My Dad went to high school with him and knows him well. Agree or disagree with his politics, Joel is a nice guy.

As for living in Minnesota, I just couldn't possibly imagine living in a state with that high of taxes, especially if you are in Moorhead and could easily live right across the river.

Income or property? Thought the forum (if it can be trusted, might of been an illustrated article) did an article comparing living in Moorhead vs Fargo and Moorhead was actually slightly cheaper.

natstar1
05-02-2016, 06:33 PM
BlueGoldSports.com ‏@Blue_GoldSports
Per sources, former #WVU punter Nick O'Toole will be attending Minnesota Vikings mini-camp.

EndZoneQB
05-02-2016, 06:47 PM
Income or property? Thought the forum (if it can be trusted, might of been an illustrated article) did an article comparing living in Moorhead vs Fargo and Moorhead was actually slightly cheaper.

Exactly. And I prefer to live with a progressive government rather than a regressive one.

MNLonghorn10
05-02-2016, 08:32 PM
I could build my next house in Fargo or wf and spend 50k more in specials and lot... Or live in moorhead and be a stone's throw from Fargo and worry about that 50k in taxes 30 years from now when the difference is made up

gumby013
05-02-2016, 08:39 PM

Depends on your income and living situation. Higher incomes would lend themselves toward living in Fargo.

GreenfieldBison
05-02-2016, 08:45 PM

Born and raised in Fargo (well, except for that stint in Lincoln while the Huskers were winning Natty's). Been living in the Twin Cities for the better part of 30 years now and IMHO it most definitely does not suck. I'm sure there are many better places and I know for a fact there are worse.

BISON Thunder
05-02-2016, 09:16 PM
That's what great about our country. People can live where they want..at least so far.

Exactly. And I prefer to live with a progressive government rather than a regressive one.

tony
05-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Ben LeCompte's interview on WDAY this weekend was 100% awesome.

http://www.wday.com/radio/4022176-97...d-kolpack-izzo (http://www.wday.com/radio/4022176-970-wday-demand-kolpack-izzo) <-- it's somewhere in there.

southcliffbison
05-02-2016, 11:00 PM

My brother, who was a property owner, had finally enough with the "progressive" government of the People's Republic of Minnesota. Got himself an out of state license; lives in Pelican Rapids for 181 days, then gets the hell out.....if you leave a paper trail and the progressives can prove you were there for that one hundred and eighty-second day....... Yup, you're a resident and they nail your ass with their fucking income tax. The saving grace of Minny is, of course, no sales tax on clothing and food, which was done to appease a certain segment of the population.....I have to stop now because I'm starting to cry.......

MNLonghorn10
05-02-2016, 11:25 PM
My brother, who was a property owner, had finally enough with the "progressive" government of the People's Republic of Minnesota. Got himself an out of state license; lives in Pelican Rapids for 181 days, then gets the hell out.....if you leave a paper trail and the progressives can prove you were there for that one hundred and eighty-second day....... Yup, you're a resident and they nail your ass with their fucking income tax. The saving grace of Minny is, of course, no sales tax or clothing and food, which was done to appease a certain segment of the population.....I have to stop now because I'm starting to cry.......

man you would think all of those fortune 500 companies would pack up and move out...and not call Minnesota home. huh?

I hope the state cracks down on the people who pay income in other states, but call beautiful minnesota their home. would be funny to see all of those lake properties suddenly pop up for sale.

56BISON73
05-03-2016, 01:42 AM

The Vikings? Yes. Taxes? Yes. Other than that MN is a great place to live and Ive lived in CA, IA, OR, WI, IL, AR, ND, MN. Ive visited 30-40 other states and some of them Ive spent a lot of time there.
We moved here in Aug of 2015. Absolutely love it here. There is no other state I would rather live in.

1998braves64
05-03-2016, 02:36 AM
Depends on your income and living situation. Higher incomes would lend themselves toward living in Fargo.

We're talking the 99% ers here! :biggrin:

1998braves64
05-03-2016, 02:42 AM
I don't really connect to MN other than twins and Vikings. Never really had an issue with them. Like ND better when I bought house told realtor was sticking to the west side of red. Some was the supposed income tax differential was working in ND so didn't want two state tax forms either, plus I go hunting in ND with family so that was much cheaper too. Love that I can call it home. Nothing wrong with Mn. Not sure any state govt could make a positive for me to want to move there most aren't going to care about me individually anyway.
Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

MNLonghorn10
05-03-2016, 02:47 AM
i think of it like this.....probably no other state in the entire union id rather have be my neighbor than good old ND. yea you guys are weird...but you're our weird little brother. and gosh darnit...people like you.

1998braves64
05-03-2016, 02:57 AM
i think of it like this.....probably no other state in the entire union id rather have be my neighbor than good old ND. yea you guys are weird...but you're our weird little brother. and gosh darnit...people like you.

Hah.. Best post you've made in a long time.

EndZoneQB
05-03-2016, 03:51 AM
I don't really connect to MN other than twins and Vikings. Never really had an issue with them. Like ND better when I bought house told realtor was sticking to the west side of red. Some was the supposed income tax differential was working in ND so didn't want two state tax forms either, plus I go hunting in ND with family so that was much cheaper too. Love that I can call it home. Nothing wrong with Mn. Not sure any state govt could make a positive for me to want to move there most aren't going to care about me individually anyway.
Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

Two state tax forms? I pay MN tax working in ND, not at all complicated.

El_Chapo
05-03-2016, 04:00 AM
My brother, who was a property owner, had finally enough with the "progressive" government of the People's Republic of Minnesota. Got himself an out of state license; lives in Pelican Rapids for 181 days, then gets the hell out.....if you leave a paper trail and the progressives can prove you were there for that one hundred and eighty-second day....... Yup, you're a resident and they nail your ass with their fucking income tax. The saving grace of Minny is, of course, no sales tax on clothing and food, which was done to appease a certain segment of the population.....I have to stop now because I'm starting to cry.......

another Tax evader.. how f'ing noble of him. what a joke.

CAS4127
05-03-2016, 04:02 AM

If you are in a partnership you may have to file in both states.

Milkman
05-03-2016, 04:19 AM
So is LeCompte kicking off from ND but paying taxes in MN? And if so how does that effect touchback rules in the NFL?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

56BISON73
05-03-2016, 04:50 AM

We moved to MN last Aug so had to file AR and MN state tax forms. Had to sign one more set of forms. Boy was that difficult. :biggrin:

EndZoneQB
05-03-2016, 04:55 AM
We moved to MN last Aug so had to file AR and MN state tax forms. Had to sign one more set of forms. Boy was that difficult. :biggrin:

If they can teach you new tricks, I imagine anyone can do it! :hide:

1998braves64
05-03-2016, 04:56 AM

Was 24 and stupid. Filled out my tax forms by hand back then for ND, don't think they had efile yet. Not super complicated to me any more was back then though. Still hate doing taxes.

You still need to file ND tax forms and vice versa. Again not really complicated in this day and age.

56BISON73
05-03-2016, 04:58 AM
If they can teach you new tricks, I imagine anyone can do it! :hide:

Thats why they have people who do taxes for you. You just have to be smart enough to know what you dont know. :biggrin:

1998braves64
05-03-2016, 05:00 AM
Thats why they have people who do taxes for you. You just have to be smart enough to know what you dont know. :biggrin:

which is a terrible imo... because it shouldn't be that "complicated"

56BISON73
05-03-2016, 05:04 AM
which is a terrible imo... because it shouldn't be that "complicated"

Correct. It shouldnt be.

StL Bison Fan
05-03-2016, 01:47 PM
Per Dom, Ben is getting a private workout with the Vikings
Good move on their part

BisonFanAnn
05-03-2016, 01:55 PM
Per Dom, Ben is getting a private workout with the Vikings
Good move on their part

That's encouraging!

Green1
05-03-2016, 11:32 PM
Sounds like the Vikings are also bringing in another punter, from West Virginia- Nick O'Tool.

https://twitter.com/Blue_GoldSports/status/727179778143469569

2011BisonAlumni
05-04-2016, 02:17 PM
I saw the punter from Sam Houston got drafted ahead of Ben. Didn't see anything special in him last year.

StL Bison Fan
05-04-2016, 02:22 PM
I saw the punter from Sam Houston got drafted ahead of Ben. Didn't see anything special in him last year.

Maybe it was like Goff and his passing numbers.
Lots and lots of punts

wagsabison
05-04-2016, 02:46 PM
We've had some pretty good punters the last 10 years or so. Just goes to show how difficult it is to make an NFL roster.

A1pigskin
05-05-2016, 01:07 AM
We've had some pretty good punters the last 10 years or so. Just goes to show how difficult it is to make an NFL roster.

The best one IMO was Ben.

NDSUBowler
05-07-2016, 06:18 AM
Access Vikings ‏@AccessVikings 32m32 minutes ago

Nick O'Toole among two punters auditioning for Vikings job http://strib.mn/1Zpjwmg #Vikings #NFL

http://www.startribune.com/nick-o-toole-among-two-punters-auditioning-for-vikings-job/378487376/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

This article mentions two punters fighting for Vikings job and Lecompte isn't one of them.

The article DOES mentioned Lecompte as a third option, though.

Of course, nothing in the NFL is guaranteed. If both punters fail this weekend, the Vikings can change direction and explore other options. North Dakota State punter Ben LeCompte, who had the fourth-best average in FCS history (44.6) last year, had a private workout with the Vikings before attending his hometown Chicago Bears’ rookie minicamp.

HerdistheWord
05-07-2016, 01:43 PM
My understanding is that Ben has a private workout with the Vikings. I'm not sure he is at their mini camp this weekend.

Bison 4 Life
05-07-2016, 01:50 PM
My understanding is that Ben has a private workout with the Vikings. I'm not sure he is at their mini camp this weekend.

He apparently had a private workout prior to the minicamp as he is attending the Bears minicamp this weekend? At least that's what the trib article indicated.

Wally
05-07-2016, 07:41 PM
On KFAN this afternoon, PA said right when he got to Winter Park the punters were working out and Ben was booming them, but didn't know hangtimes or how fast he was at getting the punt off relative to Locke and the other competition. He still thinks Locke will keep the job. I will take a hard pass on Locke as my punter. He's shit.

thebigund
05-07-2016, 07:50 PM

Is he tall? It could be a height thing for Ben. Can't say I've seen many under 6' punters in the NFL recently.

Hammerhead
05-07-2016, 07:53 PM
Is he tall? It could be a height thing for Ben. Can't say I've seen many under 6' punters in the NFL recently.

Maybe his hands are really big?

Bison 4 Life
05-07-2016, 08:07 PM
On KFAN this afternoon, PA said right when he got to Winter Park the punters were working out and Ben was booming them, but didn't know hangtimes or how fast he was at getting the punt off relative to Locke and the other competition. He still thinks Locke will keep the job. I will take a hard pass on Locke as my punter. He's shit.

The entire kicking game needs an overhaul.

Christopher Moen
05-07-2016, 08:13 PM

And miss these kind of moments?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFxKDr8MT-U

Bison 4 Life
05-07-2016, 08:20 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFxKDr8MT-U

Man, that was awful. I drove back from Frisco as fast as I could and listened to the game almost the whole way home. By the time I got home, it was only a couple minutes so I ran into the house and basically got to see that shit show and nothing else.

EC8CH
05-07-2016, 08:20 PM

I love the "the season can not end like that" line.

I mean, of coarse it can. It has before.

VirginiaBison
05-07-2016, 09:43 PM
You all probably weren't alive for the Bud Grant Super Bowl era.... 4 missed opportunities for the Purple People Eaters.... tough to watch the Vikes go down 4x

CaBisonFan
05-07-2016, 10:07 PM
You all probably weren't alive for the Bud Grant Super Bowl era.... 4 missed opportunities for the Purple People Eaters.... tough to watch the Vikes go down 4x...and we were heavy favorites in two or three of them. The hardest thing to watch was that the Vikes didn't show up for any of them. They weren't good games.

td577
05-07-2016, 10:43 PM
...and we were heavy favorites in two or three of them. The hardest thing to watch was that the Vikes didn't show up for any of them. They weren't good games.

I think the Vikes were heavy favorites in 2 or 3 and favorites in all 4. The KC game was the absolute worse one because they completely changed their offense for the super bowl. They became the poster child for why you go with what got you there. In the other three they did some dumb things early and left their game plan in the first quarter. They became poster children again for why you stick with your game plan a little longer than 17 minutes.

MNLonghorn10
05-07-2016, 11:49 PM
Disagreed. Walsh moving back in doors where he'll kick 55 yard field goals with his eyes closed will be ideal.

Christopher Moen
05-08-2016, 02:09 AM
Man, that was awful. I drove back from Frisco as fast as I could and listened to the game almost the whole way home. By the time I got home, it was only a couple minutes so I ran into the house and basically got to see that shit show and nothing else.

I was doing pretty much the same on my way back to Colorado Springs. Was listening to the game via the NFL app as I entered Amarillo, TX. I just remember thinking that the Vikings were about to make team history, and perhaps, a turn for the better in regards to playoffs by making this chip-shot field goal.

Nope, didn't happen.

The only bright side I can get out of this was that my Broncos have won their past two Super Bowls after a Vikings kicker choked (Gary Anderson during the 1998 season).

westnodak93bison
05-08-2016, 02:38 AM
I was doing pretty much the same on my way back to Colorado Springs. Was listening to the game via the NFL app as I entered Amarillo, TX. I just remember thinking that the Vikings were about to make team history, and perhaps, a turn for the better in regards to playoffs by making this chip-shot field goal.

Nope, didn't happen.

The only bright side I can get out of this was that my Broncos have won their past two Super Bowls after a Vikings kicker choked (Gary Anderson during the 1998 season).
Didn't Gary Anderson have some help pissing that game away?

Christopher Moen
05-08-2016, 02:56 AM
Didn't Gary Anderson have some help pissing that game away?

Yes, big time against Atlanta in the NFC Championship Game. Dude didn't miss all year prior to the game. Would have been interesting to see who would have won the Super Bowl that year between The Broncos and Vikings. The Falcons were toast even before my favorite band, KISS, opened up the game.

mtoutfitter
05-08-2016, 03:07 AM
...and we were heavy favorites in two or three of them. The hardest thing to watch was that the Vikes didn't show up for any of them. They weren't good games.

Probably hard to watch unless........you're a Packers fan.

CaBisonFan
05-08-2016, 03:24 AM
Probably hard to watch unless........you're a Packers fan.
Which begs the question..."why be a Packers fan?"

westnodak93bison
05-08-2016, 10:03 AM
Which begs the question..."why be a Vikings fan?"....unless of course one enjoys being disappointed annually

Rock
05-08-2016, 12:37 PM
Which begs the question..."why be a Vikings fan?"....unless of course one enjoys being disappointed annually

Gives more time to focus on bison football.

BisonTeacher
05-08-2016, 12:40 PM

Its good life lessons. On saturdays my kid learns about winning, and on Sundays he learns about losing. Its a good balance. :biggrin:

StL Bison Fan
05-08-2016, 01:28 PM

Their teams colors?

Rock
05-08-2016, 03:32 PM
Their teams colors?

Did the Packers steal the Bison uniforms or was the pack 1st?

And to avoid too much drift any word on Lecompte's practices?

Vet70
05-08-2016, 03:42 PM

Because they are not the Vikings.

Christopher Moen
05-08-2016, 04:53 PM

I believe NDSU had their prairie colors established before the Packers came into existence 1919. I'm not sure when Green Bay started using green and yellow, but their original colors were navy and gold.

In regard to uniforms, the only only time they looked similar to me was in the late 90's to early 2000's after the new logo of Snorty was introduced.

natstar1
05-08-2016, 06:08 PM
The Bison ever have white numbers?

IzzyFlexion
05-08-2016, 08:21 PM

Here's some fun Bison history:

The head football coach at Rich East High School in Park Forest, Illinois told me (in the early '90s) that in the early 1950s the school's colors were implemented as green and yellow because of NDSU. Turns out that the original fb coach there was a former NDSU player (can't remember who).

Rich East HS notable alums: Craig Hodges: Chicago Bulls.....Ryan Yarborough: former NFL receiver (90-94).......Larry McCarron: 70s all pro center for Green Bay,.......Actor and frequent Bisonville MEME star: Tom Berenger,.......... and Steve Fisher: legendary college basketball coach (coached the San Diego State Universty Aztecs past the Bison basketball team in the NCAA tournament a couple of years ago).

56BISON73
05-09-2016, 01:12 AM
The Bison ever have white numbers?

Yes......... Late 60s and early 70s.

SDbison
05-09-2016, 03:39 AM
I thought this thread was about Ben LeCompte. There is a thread for random thoughts.......

NDSUBowler
05-09-2016, 07:12 PM
Chris Tomasson ‏@christomasson 48m48 minutes ago

Source says NDSU P Ben LeCompte to come to #Vikings for private workout next week & then they likely will decide on LeCompte/Taylor Symmank
11 retweets 20 likes

Looks like LeCompte may be down to the final 2 to be signed! (of course once signed he has to beat out Locke still...but I have faith)

Hammerhead
05-09-2016, 08:03 PM
It looks like Green Bay didn't think to include green in their colors until 1950 or 1951.
http://packers.wikia.com/wiki/Logos_and_uniforms_of_the_Green_Bay_Packers

I believe NDSU had their prairie colors established before the Packers came into existence 1919. I'm not sure when Green Bay started using green and yellow, but their original colors were navy and gold.

In regard to uniforms, the only only time they looked similar to me was in the late 90's to early 2000's after the new logo of Snorty was introduced.

17>1
05-09-2016, 08:41 PM
I thought this thread was about Ben LeCompte. There is a thread for random thoughts.......

Nothing wrong with being a member of the thread drift task force, but as a member it's your responsibility to get the thread back on track by adding something new to the original discussion.

roadwarrior
05-15-2016, 06:12 PM
BBLIV ‏@lecomptey19 · 3m3 minutes ago  Lake Forest, IL

Unbelievably excited to announce that I've signed a contract with the Chicago Bears

BisonTru
05-15-2016, 06:17 PM

Unbelievably excited to announce that I've signed a contract with the Chicago Bears

Awesome. I thought he'd get signed a lot sooner, but it's done now. Anybody know who the incumbent punter is in Chicago?

ZHerd
05-15-2016, 06:18 PM

Cool for him but also kind of a bummer. I was holding onto a thread of hope that he would be a Viking. They are the ones who really need him

CaBisonFan
05-15-2016, 06:18 PM
Congratulations Ben!

17>1
05-15-2016, 06:19 PM

Sweeeet! So does this mean he's made the team, or just gives him more of an opportunity to make the team after training camp?

BisonTru
05-15-2016, 06:21 PM
Sweeeet! So does this mean he's made the team, or just gives him more of an opportunity to make the team after training camp?

Opportunity. He'll be competing against someone in camp for the job. As a punter you usually either are the starter or you don't make the roster.

17>1
05-15-2016, 06:34 PM
Opportunity. He'll be competing against someone in camp for the job. As a punter you usually either are the starter or you don't make the roster.

Got it, thanks. I'll admit, I get a little confused sometimes on the process of guys signing contracts or getting invites to camps and what it means for their future.

BisonTru
05-15-2016, 06:49 PM
Got it, thanks. I'll admit, I get a little confused sometimes on the process of guys signing contracts or getting invites to camps and what it means for their future.

A general rule of thumb if you get signed you've got your spot on the 90 man training camp roster. Really nobody is guaranteed a spot on the 53 man roster or 10 man practice squad, but the higher you are drafted or the quicker you are signed obviously the more the team likes your chances of making the roster.

You can still be cut before training camp, but it's not likely.

StL Bison Fan
05-15-2016, 07:05 PM
good for him!
TIL: Bears are smarter than Vikings

Hammerhead
05-15-2016, 07:27 PM
Cool for him but also kind of a bummer. I was holding onto a thread of hope that he would be a Viking. They are the ones who really need him

The Bears will be punting far more often than the Vikings. :)

BisonFanAnn
05-15-2016, 07:40 PM

Fantastic! It's where he wanted to be - I trust he'll make the most of his opportunity.

BisonTru
05-15-2016, 07:42 PM
The Bears will be punting far more often than the Vikings. :)

Bears punter punted so many times he sprained his knee
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/9/28/9409391/bears-punter-pat-odonnell-injury-sprained-knee

A1pigskin
05-15-2016, 08:07 PM
Bears punter punted so many times he sprained his knee
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/9/28/9409391/bears-punter-pat-odonnell-injury-sprained-knee

If there is going to be a lot of punting, then Ben is the guy.

BisonTru
05-16-2016, 12:25 AM
Some stats compared to the Bears current starter O'Donnell

Player Punts YDS Ave Long TB FC IN20
LeCompte 62 2843 45.9 73 13 14 29
O'Donnell 70 3097 44.2 72 4 22 28

Bisonator98
05-16-2016, 12:28 AM
Congrats to Ben! Living a child hood dream to play for his favorite team!

DIBISON
05-16-2016, 02:33 AM
Chicago Bears sign three players from rookie minicamp.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2016/05/15/chicago-bears-sign-three-players-from-rookie-minicamp/aroz1x/

Olton Hall
05-16-2016, 04:31 AM
I'm glad to hear someone is giving Ben a chance.

ThunderDan
05-16-2016, 05:03 AM
He's only competing against one guy, as of now...pretty good odds. Doesn't mean the Bears won't bring in a veteran free agent, but he definitely has a chance to prove himself to make the team.
Chicago is a tough place to kick with that cold wind coming off the lake, but i'm thinking Ben can handle it

THEsocalledfan
05-16-2016, 12:45 PM
He's only competing against one guy, as of now...pretty good odds. Doesn't mean the Bears won't bring in a veteran free agent, but he definitely has a chance to prove himself to make the team.
Chicago is a tough place to kick with that cold wind coming off the lake, but i'm thinking Ben can handle it

Anyone researched how much the current punter is making? Key for Ben is to light it up, and then they will go with him to save dough.

Bison 4 Life
05-16-2016, 01:15 PM
Anyone researched how much the current punter is making? Key for Ben is to light it up, and then they will go with him to save dough.

4 years 2.2 million. 581k avg

Bison"FANatic"
05-16-2016, 02:11 PM
4 years 2.2 million. 581k avg

And that is very close if not at league minimum.

Bison 4 Life
05-16-2016, 02:13 PM

pretty much, there aren't a lot of punters making a ton of dough out there.

THEsocalledfan
05-16-2016, 03:26 PM

Don't want to be a negative Nancy, but it will be tough for Ben, I suspect.

17>1
05-16-2016, 04:14 PM

I don't think that's negative. It's the league, it's tough for everyone.

Bison"FANatic"
05-16-2016, 04:31 PM

Punter is a very very hard position to break into the league. There are only 32 jobs in the whole nation and teams don't carry a backup. Punters and kickers also statistically have to have a longer career than most other positions.

1998braves64
05-16-2016, 05:49 PM

Granted it's not just anything anyone can do and as we've seen it's hard to break into that elite group probably due to this fact... They pretty much only have to punt and maybe try to tackle a guy or push him out bounds if returner gets past the coverage. For that kind of money I'd say they're making a "ton of dough". I'd take it, and first couple of years be more than I've made in my lifetime! :biggrin:

Although with kickers maybe a bit more especially whoever ends up doing FG duties there are a lot more pressures involved likely as we saw with Blair Walsh (or going way back Scott Norwood) where important games come down to them making the kick. Then it becomes pretty puny money wise again.

BisonTru
05-16-2016, 05:58 PM

To be fair the Bears current punter is still working through his rookie deal. Solid veterans can earn a million plus a year. With the new CBA it's tough for young players to make much more than minimums till they get a new deal.

natstar1
05-16-2016, 06:46 PM
Many times these competitions aren't fair fights where BL will have to severely out play the incumbent to take his position.

Bison 4 Life
05-16-2016, 06:58 PM
To be fair the Bears current punter is still working through his rookie deal. Solid veterans can earn a million plus a year. With the new CBA it's tough for young players to make much more than minimums till they get a new deal.

Maybe half of them are making over 1 mil/year. While there are a lot of older punters, there is still a lot of turnover.

BisonTru
05-16-2016, 07:25 PM
Maybe half of them are making over 1 mil/year. While there are a lot of older punters, there is still a lot of turnover.

Basically half the punters are well established 4+ year veterans and the other half are guys trying to prove themselves. Get yourself into the well established elite punters group and you can make a lot of money in the league. The Colquitt brothers are the two highest paid guys in the league both averaging a little under 4 million a year. Their dad was an NFL punter. Their nephew punted in the league for a while and their cousin is a punter at Tenn Tech. That's quite the blood line of punters.

Christopher Moen
05-16-2016, 08:02 PM
Basically half the punters are well established 4+ year veterans and the other half are guys trying to prove themselves. Get yourself into the well established elite punters group and you can make a lot of money in the league. The Colquitt brothers are the two highest paid guys in the league both averaging a little under 4 million a year. Their dad was an NFL punter. Their nephew punted in the league for a while and their cousin is a punter at Tenn Tech. That's quite the blood line of punters.

Britton has been fairly solid for Denver, but probably is on his way out due to his salary and the Broncos being cap-strapped pretty bad right now. How they get Von Miller to a huge contract is going to take some pretty creative contract restructuring on some of his teammates (i.e. Demaryius Thomas' salary gets converted into a signing bonus and doesn't count against the cap).

Right now, it looks like the Britton's last play as Broncos was a terrible sub-30 yard punt during the Super Bowl, which resulted in him being shown spiking his helmet a few moments later in the background while Von Miller and Demarcus Ware were getting ready to give Kubiak a Gatorade bath.

td577
05-16-2016, 10:56 PM
We shouldn't have a problem recruiting punters. We have had a nice ones over the past few years who have gotten legitimate look by the NFL.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

BisonHorns
05-17-2016, 03:12 AM
I look forward to watching the Bears!

Christopher Moen
05-17-2016, 05:23 AM

If they stink up the place, Ben will be a busy man.

BisonTru
05-17-2016, 11:52 PM
740 the fan Ben LeCompte talks about signing with the Bears (http://740thefan.com/podcasts/jack-michaels-show/962/ben-lecompte-talks-about-signing-with-the-chicago-bears/)

Hammerhead
05-19-2016, 07:56 PM

Looking forward to Ben getting to punt early and often every game. :)

yopaulie
05-20-2016, 05:13 PM
Punter - the only position where I could fully root for a former Bison player and the Vikes in the same game!

HerdBot
05-20-2016, 05:17 PM
Punter - the only position where I could fully root for a former Bison player and the Vikes in the same game!

Ain't that the truth!

stevdock
05-20-2016, 05:26 PM

Especially when he pins them at the 1. Safety next play and Bears win 2-0 ;)

MNLonghorn10
05-20-2016, 08:10 PM
We're rooting for sudden wind direction change where there's nothing lecompte can do about it and he punts it 25 yards

MNLonghorn10
05-20-2016, 08:10 PM
Ain't that the truth!
But you don't even like the Vikings

BisonFanAnn
06-10-2016, 07:01 PM
A report from Chicago OTAs:

http://sportsmockery.com/2016/06/several-chicago-bears-undrafted-free-agents-already-emerging-practice/

“Also notable was the use of P Ben LeCompte on kickoffs with the second unit. LeCompte is competing with Patrick O’Donnell for the starting punter role but he also has a shot at securing kickoff duties, an area in which Robbie Gould has always struggled. There may not be any competition for Gould on field goals but it’s clear the Bears are aware of his deficiencies on kickoffs.”

As for LeCompte, he was a somewhat undersized punter (5’10”) for North Dakota State but didn’t let that stop him from setting Division II records. A native of Barrington, Illinois he turned a lot of heads by averaging 45.9 yards per punt in his final season of college. What makes that interesting is the fact that current Chicago Bears punter Pat O’Donnell, a 6’4” former sixth round pick, averaged just 44.2 yards per punt last season. It’s little wonder the team brought in LeCompte, who brings added value as a kickoff specialist.

runtheoption
06-10-2016, 07:04 PM
A report from Chicago OTAs:

http://sportsmockery.com/2016/06/several-chicago-bears-undrafted-free-agents-already-emerging-practice/

“Also notable was the use of P Ben LeCompte on kickoffs with the second unit. LeCompte is competing with Patrick O’Donnell for the starting punter role but he also has a shot at securing kickoff duties, an area in which Robbie Gould has always struggled. There may not be any competition for Gould on field goals but it’s clear the Bears are aware of his deficiencies on kickoffs.”

As for LeCompte, he was a somewhat undersized punter (5’10”) for North Dakota State but didn’t let that stop him from setting Division II records. A native of Barrington, Illinois he turned a lot of heads by averaging 45.9 yards per punt in his final season of college. What makes that interesting is the fact that current Chicago Bears punter Pat O’Donnell, a 6’4” former sixth round pick, averaged just 44.2 yards per punt last season. It’s little wonder the team brought in LeCompte, who brings added value as a kickoff specialist.
Can't believe the Bears would bring in a Division II player to punt.

As far as saving his leg while pulling double duty as a kickoff specialist / punter, he won't have to worry about too many kickoffs.

BisManBison
06-10-2016, 07:14 PM
Can't believe the Bears would bring in a Division II player to punt.

As far as saving his leg while pulling double duty as a kickoff specialist / punter, he won't have to worry about too many kickoffs.

:rimshot::rofl:

BisonTru
07-29-2016, 10:57 PM
Ben was waived by the Bears.
http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2016/7/29/12329064/chicago-bears-sign-dan-buchholz-waive-ben-lecompte

DjKyRo
07-30-2016, 01:40 AM
Ben was waived by the Bears.
http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2016/7/29/12329064/chicago-bears-sign-dan-buchholz-waive-ben-lecompte

GET HIM ZIM

(of the Vikings, obv)

1978Bison
07-30-2016, 02:54 PM
So sorry to hear. I truly felt he had the skills to make it. Give him a chance NFL! Tough to make it in a profession where there are 32 positions available in the country.

Mr Meaty
07-31-2016, 12:55 PM
So sorry to hear. I truly felt he had the skills to make it. Give him a chance NFL! Tough to make it in a profession where there are 32 positions available in the country.

Agreed, Some team should give him another shot and they will not be disappointed.

td577
07-31-2016, 01:08 PM
Agreed, Some team should give him another shot and they will not be disappointed.

This is the life of a punter or kicker. Very few are anointed from the get go. Even with the expanded roster spots in pre-season, every roster spot is deemed extremely valuable and if a punter or kicker doesn't blow you away vs the incumbent, they are the first to be let go to make room for another LB or OL candidate. Hopefully he gets another shot with another team and make a name for himself among the coaches. Even if he doesn't make it this go around, if he impresses enough people, openings will happen in the NFL and coaches do talk.