View Full Version : Gene to interview for Gophers job

StL Bison Fan
04-28-2016, 08:55 PM
Gene is interviewing for the AD job.
Will they play us then??

http://m.startribune.com/nine-names-rise-to-top-of-gophers-ad-search/377478231/

bisonmike2
04-28-2016, 08:58 PM
Great news for Gene. On one hand I hope he gets it, but on the other it would probably mean that stronger UM programs probably hurt us in the long run.

ByeSonBusiness
04-28-2016, 08:59 PM
Gene is interviewing for the AD job.
Will they play us then??

http://m.startribune.com/nine-names-rise-to-top-of-gophers-ad-search/377478231/

Considering that no B1G teams are supposed to schedule those games anymore...I imagine not.

BisonNation11
04-28-2016, 09:00 PM
Great to hear. However, I hope he doesn't get it. As powerful as an AD can be, I don't think they'd allow him to restructure things the way it needs to be done to correct everything that is going wrong there. I think Gene deserves better. But I also hope he achieves his dream job.

ByeSonBusiness
04-28-2016, 09:10 PM
Great to hear. However, I hope he doesn't get it. As powerful as an AD can be, I don't think they'd allow him to restructure things the way it needs to be done to correct everything that is going wrong there. I think Gene deserves better. But I also hope he achieves his dream job.

He deserves better than a P5 AD position at one of the biggest schools(also a Land-Grant) in the country?

westnodak93bison
04-28-2016, 09:32 PM
He deserves better than a P5 AD position at one of the biggest schools(also a Land-Grant) in the country?
He deserves better.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ByeSonBusiness
04-28-2016, 09:36 PM
He deserves better.

better than a top 20 athletic program in terms of revenue? Minnesota has buckets of potential. Would be a fantastic job to have.

BisonNation11
04-28-2016, 09:38 PM
better than a top 20 athletic program in terms of revenue? Minnesota has buckets of potential. Would be a fantastic job to have.

All that revenue, nothing to show for it. They hold themselves back and they'd hold Gene back. I wish better for him as I stated before.

westnodak93bison
04-28-2016, 09:40 PM
All that revenue, nothing to show for it. They hold themselves back and they'd hold Gene back. I wish better for him as I stated before.
Their culture sucks

ByeSonBusiness
04-28-2016, 09:42 PM

Isn't it the Athletic Director's job to get the right people in the right positions and get to work?

BisonNation11
04-28-2016, 10:05 PM
Isn't it the Athletic Director's job to get the right people in the right positions and get to work?

It's a culture my man. I know you know the difference.

VirginiaBison
04-28-2016, 10:09 PM
Where AD careers go to die... stay away at any price

NDSUstudent
04-28-2016, 10:20 PM
I hope he gets it, gotta be a dream job for Gene.

But like with going with Brew over Bohl....I have no doubt the U of MN will screw it up.

BisonTru
04-28-2016, 10:20 PM
I hope he gets it. Good for him.

Still don't think they'll do any better scouting their own state.

Plus just like our neighbors up north just get the hockey program turned around and he's got job security.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
04-28-2016, 10:37 PM
Goetz will get it. She is an insider and a woman.

jeffs
04-28-2016, 10:48 PM

As a U of M grad, I hope your wrong. Gene T would be the best hire that the Gopher's could make for the AD job. Not sure if their smart enough to offer him the job.

td577
04-28-2016, 11:13 PM

With all they have gone through, I can't picture any scenario where Goetz isn't named the permanent AD.

bisoneer
04-29-2016, 01:12 AM
He deserves better.

The gophers (or aka rodents) sports programs are so hopeless that not even Gene the Machine can fix them...they really, really stink, even at men's hockey now and that puts them at rock bottom....I don't see any recovery in site.

tony
04-29-2016, 01:13 AM
They've got that backwards... Gene Taylor should be interviewing them.

MAKBison
04-29-2016, 01:20 AM
Just think if GT were to become the AD for MN........Oh CB you should have not burned that bridge. Wait whats that mean for CK??????

NovaBison
04-29-2016, 01:30 AM
Just think if GT were to become the AD for MN........Oh CB you should have not burned that bridge. Wait whats that mean for CK??????

That's exactly what I was thinking...

td577
04-29-2016, 01:34 AM

I agree 1000%, but making Goetz the permanent AD makes everything all good following Teague.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
04-29-2016, 01:50 AM
This times 1000. They already have their minds made up, the interviews are just a formality.

Get rid of a sexual harassing pervert and replace him with a woman. The only viable option.

EC8CH
04-29-2016, 01:54 AM

Must spread rep

EndZoneQB
04-29-2016, 02:23 AM
Culture? Some of you ND guys are so freakin' naive. This would absolutely be a dream job for Taylor. Top 20 in revenue and almost no success = holy potential. This message board is so hard to read sometimes, you can't even get out of your own ways.

Bison4peat
04-29-2016, 02:29 AM
Culture? Some of you ND guys are so freakin' naive. This would absolutely be a dream job for Taylor. Top 20 in revenue and almost no success = holy potential. This message board is so hard to read sometimes, you can't even get out of your own ways.

If GT gets the job at least he will have an early retirement from being a AD with a pocket full of money so I would be happy for him.

BlueBisonRock
04-29-2016, 02:31 AM

Who you callin' you?

ByeSonBusiness
04-29-2016, 05:12 AM

I know right? One of the best jobs to have in the country.

1998braves64
04-29-2016, 05:16 PM

I know right? One of the best jobs to have in the country.

I'm not denying it's one of the "best" jobs in the country as far as ADs go. The issue is can the AD gather enough power into a pile to make the changes necessary to make Minnesota a top notch program that it's revenues should be creating. I don't want to see GT fail and UofM job has failure written all over it before even starting. Seems it's a place where "good" coaches/ADs etc go to get ruined. Jerry Kill did gather a bit of steam with the FB program hopefully Claeys can continue. With all the issues facing the department the past few years I just don't know if AD is going to get enough rein to "fix" it like he had the reins here at NDSU to move us to Div I/FCS. If he gets the job there, I truly hope he succeeds because it could reflect well on NDSU in we were the ones that gave him a chance to get to where he is at now. He may see it as a challenge. I'm sure he understands the forces at work and that's part of the interview process, whoever said probably isn't so far off. He's likely interviewing them too on what he will and will not be doing.

stevdock
04-29-2016, 05:36 PM

I don't think that would just affect CK. We've got some other great coaches and some of those have fairly long track records now that could easily be pulled, i.e. softball, track, etc.

TransAmBison
04-29-2016, 05:46 PM
Culture? Some of you ND guys are so freakin' naive. This would absolutely be a dream job for Taylor. Top 20 in revenue and almost no success = holy potential. This message board is so hard to read sometimes, you can't even get out of your own ways.I'm not disagreeing with you...just made me think of a floundering company I worked for at one time...they wanted to change the culture. We no longer had problems, we had opportunities. Teh Gophers have a lot of opportunities.

runtheoption
04-29-2016, 07:15 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you...just made me think of a floundering company I worked for at one time...they wanted to change the culture. We no longer had problems, we had opportunities. Teh Gophers have a lot of opportunities.Seems like some of the male staff in the athletic department see nothing but "opportunities" with every lady around.

BisonTeacher
04-29-2016, 07:57 PM
We no longer had problems, we had opportunities. Teh Gophers have a lot of opportunities.

Ive heard that at work as well. When I hear it something goes wrong with my eyes and they keep rolling back in my head. I may take the opportunity to get them looked at.

westnodak93bison
04-30-2016, 11:49 AM
This times 1000. They already have their minds made up, the interviews are just a formality.

Get rid of a sexual harassing pervert and replace him with a woman. The only viable option.
In a politically correct utopia

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2016, 12:57 PM

"I hope he doesnt get it, I hope he gets it, they dont want success by getting things done correctly", WTF?

GT left NDSU for a job that nobody knew even existed for a school in the same conference as MN. why the hell would he not want to be the head man at said school? wait dont answer that because your reasoning is going to be stupid and a waste of everybody's time as they read it.

BisonAccountant44
04-30-2016, 03:57 PM
Don't forget when he left to take that job he flat out said his dream was to be a P5 AD and that he thought it would help him accomplish that. I'm not surprised he applied for this job at all, I'm surprised it took this long for us to find out that he did, and I hope he gets it because Gene deserves to live his dream.

Mr Meaty
04-30-2016, 04:03 PM
Don't forget when he left to take that job he flat out said his dream was to be a P5 AD and that he thought it would help him accomplish that. I'm not surprised he applied for this job at all, I'm surprised it took this long for us to find out that he did, and I hope he gets it because Gene deserves to live his dream.

He is a good man and deserves a shot at his dream. Not really happy it is with the gophs but take the shot when you get it.

SDbison
04-30-2016, 04:20 PM

Get rid of a sexual harassing pervert and replace him with a woman. The only viable option. Yep, the progressives in Minnesota will ignore the best qualified and put a woman in the AD spot to fix all the wrongs by the prior douchebag. Go ahead Minnesota.......keep floundering. To continue my non PC rant, I don't understand why the MVFC has a woman in charge of a conference that has all male athletes in an all male sport. Add to that she does a terrible job. And yes, I know there are plenty of men who coach women's sports, but that is just a supply and demand thing. There are likely some men who do a terrible job coaching women's sports and they should be replaced (preferably by a woman if she is the best candidate).

ByeSonBusiness
04-30-2016, 04:40 PM
Yep, the progressives in Minnesota will ignore the best qualified and put a woman in the AD spot to fix all the wrongs by the prior douchebag. Go ahead Minnesota.......keep floundering. To continue my non PC rant, I don't understand why the MVFC has a woman in charge of a conference that has all male athletes in an all male sport. Add to that she does a terrible job. And yes, I know there are plenty of men who coach women's sports, but that is just a supply and demand thing. There are likely some men who do a terrible job coaching women's sports and they should be replaced (preferably by a woman if she is the best candidate).

Preach brother.

El_Chapo
04-30-2016, 07:44 PM
Gene is my boy but now way he gets it

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2016, 09:19 PM
Yep, the progressives in Minnesota will ignore the best qualified and put a woman in the AD spot to fix all the wrongs by the prior douchebag. Go ahead Minnesota.......keep floundering. To continue my non PC rant, I don't understand why the MVFC has a woman in charge of a conference that has all male athletes in an all male sport. Add to that she does a terrible job. And yes, I know there are plenty of men who coach women's sports, but that is just a supply and demand thing. There are likely some men who do a terrible job coaching women's sports and they should be replaced (preferably by a woman if she is the best candidate).

GT will end up at Minnesota, and I will bring you a Gopher t-shirt to tailgating since you will no longer hate them.

tjbison
04-30-2016, 09:44 PM
Good luck to Gene he deserves it

westnodak93bison
05-03-2016, 02:59 AM
GT will end up at Minnesota, and I will bring you a Gopher t-shirt to tailgating since you will no longer hate them.
The Goophers will suck the winning right out of GT

MNLonghorn10
05-03-2016, 03:13 AM

Lol so how does NDSU do vs Minnesota in all sports? Won a couple baseball games and a football game...

You make all NDSU fans look stupid with these repetitive short sighted posts

El_Chapo
05-03-2016, 03:20 AM
as a gopher fan following them for 25 years at least, there is zero chance those smug people on the committee give Gene a shot. sorry.

EC8CH
05-03-2016, 04:39 AM
They won that oil change bowl thingie I think. West central Missouri, or Mississippi? I don't remember, but I think they won that one.

I heard it maybe even made it a winning season for them that year?

westnodak93bison
05-06-2016, 02:40 AM
Lol so how does NDSU do vs Minnesota in all sports? Won a couple baseball games and a football game...

Lol, with their huge advantage in resources they should kick our ass in everything but they don't. The cowards won't play us in fb or men's bb. Why is it so hard for you to admit they are bottom of the barrel big10. Their mascot/knickname is stupid and then there is the M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A yay gophers cheer which is so fucking lame...that one really gets the crowd fired up....

HerdBot
05-06-2016, 02:53 AM

The Gophers not only can't beat NDSU in football, they couldn't beat USD and barely beat the Bunnies. In basketball, they lost to both SDSU and USD in the same week. Heck even our women's basketball team beat them. (Long time ago)

I don't pay attention to all th4 baseball scores but seems like we're close to 500 vs them in revent years. (I could be wrong )

They did dominate us in volleyball and wrestling though. Have never one in basketball but it would help if we would actually play them

They should dominate us. Heck their check from the Big Ten Network is probably more than our entire athletic budget.

westnodak93bison
05-06-2016, 02:56 AM
The Gophers not only can't beat NDSU in football, they couldn't beat USD and barely beat the Bunnies. In basketball, they lost to both SDSU and USD in the same week. Heck even our women's basketball team beat them. (Long time ago)

I don't pay attention to all th4 baseball scores but seems like we're close to 500 vs them in revent years. (I could be wrong )

They did dominate us in volleyball and wrestling though. Have never one in basketball but it would help if we would actually play them

They should dominate us. Heck their check from the Big Ten Network is probably more than our entire athletic budget.
And they have our old VB coach

MNLonghorn10
05-06-2016, 03:22 AM
Lol, with their huge advantage in resources they should kick our ass in everything but they don't. The cowards won't play us in fb or men's bb. Why is it so hard for you to admit they are bottom of the barrel big10. Their mascot/knickname is stupid and then there is the M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A yay gophers cheer which is so fucking lame...that one really gets the crowd fired up....

Goldie gopher is the bomb.

MNLonghorn10
05-06-2016, 03:23 AM

Yawn. Ndsu can't beat USD either.

westnodak93bison
05-06-2016, 03:24 AM
OK. Lmao

MN_BISON
05-06-2016, 03:30 AM
I hate to say it, but Gene has zero shot at that job; best he can hope for is to improve on his interview skills. There is no way in hell that the UofM will hire a guy who's last stop was at NDSU and is now at frickin' Iowa. We are below them in their minds in every way, it doesn't matter what happens on the field, court or in the classroom, Minnesotan's (in-state Minnesotan's and not 100% of them but the vast majority) generally thumb their nose at anything Dakota, North or South. They also think they're far superior to their neighbors to the south and east too. Iowa and WI clearly stand head and shoulders above the Gophers and while I have to admit NDSU has a ways to go to catch the UofM, we've only been at this for what, 12 years, so it's safe to say they've had a bit of a head start. All Gopher fans should fall down on their hands and knees and thank the almighty baby Jesus they're in the Big Ten and get that network money because without that they'd look more like a MAC school than a Big Ten program with the clowns running the university. Back to Gene, he'll get his shot one day and by all accounts he'll be better off for getting the cold shoulder from the snobs at Minnesota.

Bisonwinagn
05-06-2016, 05:04 AM
I hate to say it, but Gene has zero shot at that job; best he can hope for is to improve on his interview skills. There is no way in hell that the UofM will hire a guy who's last stop was at NDSU and is now at frickin' Iowa. We are below them in their minds in every way, it doesn't matter what happens on the field, court or in the classroom, Minnesotan's (in-state Minnesotan's and not 100% of them but the vast majority) generally thumb their nose at anything Dakota, North or South. They also think they're far superior to their neighbors to the south and east too. Iowa and WI clearly stand head and shoulders above the Gophers and while I have to admit NDSU has a ways to go to catch the UofM, we've only been at this for what, 12 years, so it's safe to say they've had a bit of a head start. All Gopher fans should fall down on their hands and knees and thank the almighty baby Jesus they're in the Big Ten and get that network money because without that they'd look more like a MAC school than a Big Ten program with the clowns running the university. Back to Gene, he'll get his shot one day and by all accounts he'll be better off for getting the cold shoulder from the snobs at Minnesota.

I agree with you but I would limit it to the arrogant attitude of the U of M alumni and their administrators. Also remember the majority of them don't really follow sports or have any clue what division they're in so it's maybe more ignorance than anything.

unbison
05-06-2016, 08:05 AM
And they have our old VB coach

You mean from when we were good at volleyball ? And yep he is a assistant

ByeSonBusiness
05-06-2016, 11:38 AM

He is one of my favorite mascots out there and the MINNESOTA cheer is boss. Wish NDSU had some cool cheers like that.

MNLonghorn10
05-06-2016, 11:49 AM
He is one of my favorite mascots out there and the MINNESOTA cheer is boss. Wish NDSU had some cool cheers like that.

they do. Lets go Bison! *clapclap clapclapclap*. Just ask westnodak. according to him, its fresh and innovative!

scottietohottie
05-06-2016, 11:55 AM
they do. Lets go Bison! *clapclap clapclapclap*. Just ask westnodak. according to him, its fresh and innovative!

I like the national championship banner cheer we do for the home opener every year.

MNLonghorn10
05-06-2016, 11:59 AM
I like the national championship banner cheer we do for the home opener every year.

how does that one go?

scottietohottie
05-06-2016, 12:00 PM
how does that one go?

Wooooooooooooooooo

scottietohottie
05-06-2016, 12:04 PM
Wooooooooooooooooo

And when it's a night game home opener it goes WOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo!

Vet70
05-06-2016, 12:17 PM
how does that one go?

It goes like this (for the home opener X13 ).

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2302/2510825375_176f1608a0.jpg

MNLonghorn10
05-06-2016, 12:23 PM
It goes like this (for the home opener X13 ).

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2302/2510825375_176f1608a0.jpg

would work for EWU..CSU not so much

17>1
05-06-2016, 01:49 PM

I like the wave.

BisonAccountant44
05-06-2016, 09:16 PM
I absolutely can't stand it when they spell Minnesota. It's right up there with shaking keys and that God awful I believe that we will win thing.

BisonTeacher
05-06-2016, 09:51 PM
I absolutely can't stand it when they spell Minnesota. It's right up there with shaking keys and that God awful I believe that we will win thing.

Don't forget the "RAH" at the end. Nothing says weve moved on from the 60s like RAH!

Edit...and I don't want Gene to get the job. Only because I don't think Minnesota will ever get better regardless who the ad is and I don't want him associated with that. He deserves better.

LikeMothers
05-07-2016, 02:00 AM
that God awful I believe that we will win thing.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This right here. It's got PC respect diversity committee written all over it.

ByeSonBusiness
05-07-2016, 02:07 AM

Really? To each their own. Hope you don't hate the maascot too.

3Putt
05-07-2016, 02:43 AM
Don't forget the "RAH" at the end. Nothing says weve moved on from the 60s like RAH!

Edit...and I don't want Gene to get the job. Only because I don't think Minnesota will ever get better regardless who the ad is and I don't want him associated with that. He deserves better.

If Gene has applied and wants the position, I'll trust that he knows what's best for him and his family.

EightyfourBison
05-07-2016, 03:03 AM
Gene did a great job of transitioning NDSU sports to D1. He might be just as successful doing it at Minnesota.:hide:

ndsubison1
05-07-2016, 03:15 AM

I like the oooooooooo on defense

EC8CH
05-07-2016, 04:23 AM
I like the oooooooooo on defense

WTF!!?

I've been doing AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
this whole time!

Christopher Moen
05-07-2016, 04:42 AM

Don't forget their precious Ski-U-Mah war cry, which much like the University itself, isn't taken too seriously by anyone living outside the state's borders, or more specific, the Twin Cities area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJMw76oPjQU

As someone who grew up in Minnesota, I'm surprised how much love the university gets on this board. Way more than I remember growing up in the Northland/Iron Range country.

BisonTeacher
05-07-2016, 05:00 AM
Don't forget their precious Ski-U-Mah war cry, which much like the University itself, isn't taken too seriously by anyone living outside the state's borders, or more specific, the Twin Cities area.

Or anyone under 70. As a recovering gopher football season ticket holder, I feel like their program is more than hopeless. The only way they turn things around is if the baby jesus of football recruits is born to parents who bleed maroon and gold. Or, they find a way to make their brand relevant and attractive to a younger generation. Rah and ski u mah don't mean crap to kids today. yet they keep selling that. Its like they are asking the kids to pay in buffalo nickels but the kids only have paypal.

Seeing both MN and NDSu game and tailgate atmosphere...its so different. and Mn fans have no idea how different it is and how good it could be. tailgating there will always suck with all the separated lots they have. plus there is the whole "here we go again" atmosphere. When down by 7 in the 4th...mn fans leave...bison fans stay and think, its only a matter of time til we come back. Its just a whole different mentality. When the gophs have a lead they think...when are we going to blow this and when they give up a lead...their fans think...oh crap here we go again. I don't mean to be disrespectful. just giving my perspective as a fan of both schools. If Gene could change that atmosphere I would gladly eat my words, but I just dont see it happening.

westnodak93bison
05-07-2016, 11:03 AM
Or anyone under 70. As a recovering gopher football season ticket holder, I feel like their program is more than hopeless. The only way they turn things around is if the baby jesus of football recruits is born to parents who bleed maroon and gold. Or, they find a way to make their brand relevant and attractive to a younger generation. Rah and ski u mah don't mean crap to kids today. yet they keep selling that. Its like they are asking the kids to pay in buffalo nickels but the kids only have paypal.

Seeing both MN and NDSu game and tailgate atmosphere...its so different. and Mn fans have no idea how different it is and how good it could be. tailgating there will always suck with all the separated lots they have. plus there is the whole "here we go again" atmosphere. When down by 7 in the 4th...mn fans leave...bison fans stay and think, its only a matter of time til we come back. Its just a whole different mentality. When the gophs have a lead they think...when are we going to blow this and when they give up a lead...their fans think...oh crap here we go again. I don't mean to be disrespectful. just giving my perspective as a fan of both schools. If Gene could change that atmosphere I would gladly eat my words, but I just dont see it happening.
Good post. I lived in the cities for 5 years, worked in an office of 200+ and nobody I met at work was a die hard gophs fb fan. They all were content with being in the big 10 as if that makes them relevant.

Rock
05-07-2016, 11:59 AM
If Gene Taylor were MN AD I would consider going to a game or two and support him. Not sure if other NDSU alumni in or near the cities would do the same.

As for Gopher fans feeling the here we go again down 7 in the 4th, they haven't had much evidence to the contrary in their and most of their parents lifetime.

BisonTeacher
05-07-2016, 12:33 PM
Good post. I lived in the cities for 5 years, worked in an office of 200+ and nobody I met at work was a die hard gophs fb fan. They all were content with being in the big 10 as if that makes them relevant.

I actually work with a few. It's sad and awkward to talk football with them. Like last year when they thought "the gophers are good now". Chyea...like it's all fixed after one not lousy season. Or when the bison lost to Montana they were all smug. Lol. I said...can't win every game. They are just sad. I actually feel bad for them.

mebisonII
05-10-2016, 07:14 PM
Looks like Taylor is not in the top 4:

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-ad-search-narrowed-to-final-four-sources-say/378844131/

3Putt
05-10-2016, 07:38 PM
Looks like Taylor is not in the top 4:

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-ad-search-narrowed-to-final-four-sources-say/378844131/

Or maybe he is:

https://twitter.com/RyanBurnsMN/status/730109618051899392

Sources tell @UMNonScout that Iowa deputy athletic director, Gene Taylor, interviewed for the #Gophers athletic director job yesterday.

StL Bison Fan
05-10-2016, 08:22 PM
Forum speculating on Gene being the undisclosed of the four.
Interesting...

THEsocalledfan
05-10-2016, 08:34 PM
Forum speculating on Gene being the undisclosed of the four.
Interesting...

Can't understand that. Iowa knew his hat was in the ring, so don't buy it, unless for internal U of M issues.

StL Bison Fan
05-10-2016, 09:20 PM
And, now he is not...

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4029266-source-gene-taylor-not-finalist-gophers-ad-job

SDbison
05-10-2016, 09:42 PM
And, now he is not...

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4029266-source-gene-taylor-not-finalist-gophers-ad-job And the Goophers will remain looosers! LOL couldn't be happier for them. Not sure what I was more worried about........Gene getting the job and not being able to turn them around, or him possibly making Goopher sports into winners. Oh well, no worries now.

tjbison
05-10-2016, 09:46 PM
Maybe ndsu had a no compete clause in MN... :rofl:

Farmer63
05-10-2016, 10:16 PM
Da Da Dum.... "Sometimes I thank God..... for unswered prayers. Just because he don't answer, doesn't mean he don't care." You get the idea.

HerdBot
05-10-2016, 10:20 PM
And the Goophers will remain looosers! LOL couldn't be happier for them. Not sure what I was more worried about........Gene getting the job and not being able to turn them around, or him possibly making Goopher sports into winners. Oh well, no worries now.

I'm glad they will be losers but I'm sad for for GT

MNLonghorn10
05-10-2016, 11:37 PM
YEA! Way to fail Gene!

westnodak93bison
05-10-2016, 11:52 PM
YEA! Way to fail Gene!
Fail? It's probably set up for the gal. He probably wants to work for a winner anyway.

BisonTeacher
05-10-2016, 11:57 PM
YEA! Way to fail again Gophers!

Fify.......

Bisonator98
05-11-2016, 12:02 AM
Fify.......

Yeah that's more like it. They can't seem to help themselves, must be something in the Minnesota water. :rofl:

unbison
05-11-2016, 12:41 AM
Yeah that's more like it. They can't seem to help themselves, must be something in the Minnesota water. :rofl:

Doesn't seem to affect our athletes

MNLonghorn10
05-11-2016, 12:42 AM
Fail? It's probably set up for the gal. He probably wants to work for a winner anyway.

Makes you wonder where his head is knowing he left NDSU to take a position in Iowa that nobody has heard of, and put his name in the UM hat. Could you answer that for us?

westnodak93bison
05-11-2016, 12:45 AM
Makes you wonder where his head is knowing he left NDSU to take a position in Iowa that nobody has heard of, and put his name in the UM hat. Could you answer that for us?
IA is a stepping stone, MN is loserville. Obviously money talks.

Bisonator98
05-11-2016, 12:45 AM
Doesn't seem to affect our athletes

They drink ND water while at NDSU. :biggrin:

MNLonghorn10
05-11-2016, 12:57 AM

a stepping stone to Minnesota?

westnodak93bison
05-11-2016, 01:01 AM
a stepping stone to Minnesota?
Money talks.

MNLonghorn10
05-11-2016, 01:05 AM
Money talks.

Thats honestly what you're going with? :rofl::facepalm:

ByeSonBusiness
05-11-2016, 01:06 AM

Both of those are bomb ass jobs.

westnodak93bison
05-11-2016, 01:30 AM
Thats honestly what you're going with? :rofl::facepalm:
I'm sure MN is on the top of his wish list. Lmao, would be an awesome challenge. What a star studded list of candidates. So many willing to make a lateral move just to run that prestigious department...cough cough

MNLonghorn10
05-11-2016, 01:53 AM
I'm sure MN is on the top of his wish list. Lmao, would be an awesome challenge. What a star studded list of candidates. So many willing to make a lateral move just to run that prestigious department...cough cough

You just keep digging. i know it hurts to read that Minnesota is a step up from NDSU. just irks you. and Im a bigger Bison fan than I am Gopher fan before you label me the old "go cheer for them if you love them so much".

NDSU1980
05-11-2016, 01:56 AM
Either way, it's a good thing Gene didn't get the job. Most likely his career would have died in MN and he deserves better, something will come along. And on the off beat chance that Gene could have turned this around at MN, we don't need to be fighting them for recruits. We've got a good thing going for us now.

ByeSonBusiness
05-11-2016, 01:59 AM
Either way, it's a good thing Gene didn't get the job. Most likely his career would have died in MN and he deserves better, something will come along. And on the off beat chance that Gene could have turned this around at MN, we don't need to be fighting them for recruits. We've got a good thing going for us now.

When has NDSU fought the Gophers for recruits and won?

NDSU1980
05-11-2016, 02:38 AM
When has NDSU fought the Gophers for recruits and won?
It sure helps when guys like Billie Turner get ignored by MN due to their gross ignorance.

ByeSonBusiness
05-11-2016, 02:51 AM
It sure helps when guys like Billie Turner get ignored by MN due to their gross ignorance.

He didn't have any FBS offers did he? Not like the Gophers were the only ones who missed.

MNLonghorn10
05-11-2016, 02:54 AM

none of this makes any sense on why you're glad Gene didn't get a P5 AD job. You say Billy Turner, a Minnesota kid, slipped through the cracks because of the entire FBS missed on him(not just Minnesota) due to ignorance...yet here you are spitting straight ignorance.

NDSU1980
05-11-2016, 03:02 AM
none of this makes any sense on why you're glad Gene didn't get a P5 AD job. You say Billy Turner, a Minnesota kid, slipped through the cracks because of the entire FBS missed on him(not just Minnesota) due to ignorance...yet here you are spitting straight ignorance.

Sorry I even brought it up. Some of you just like to bitch. Carry on

MNLonghorn10
05-11-2016, 03:27 AM
Sorry I even brought it up. Some of you just like to bitch. Carry on

What exactly are some of us bitching about?

EndZoneQB
05-11-2016, 05:14 AM
Man, the blatant homerism is sickening.

1. Minnesota would be a GREAT job for Gene. Bottom line, absolutely zero spinning that to make you feel warm and cozy.
2. A good Minnesota/healthy B1G should be potentially good for NDSU. B1G schools shouldn't be going head to head against us very often and when they are successful - even less.
3. Even IF they were going after our recruits, what does Gene have to do with any of that? That would be on Claeys.

Do you guys even think?

tjbison
05-11-2016, 11:28 AM
Do you guys even think?

is this even worth asking anymore

CalBison97
05-11-2016, 12:25 PM

3. Even IF they were going after our recruits, what does Gene have to do with any of that? That would be on Claeys.

Do you guys even think?

GT recruiting Kleiman, Kramer, and Richman is what will worry me when he gets his AD gig.

tjbison
05-11-2016, 12:32 PM
GT recruiting Kleiman, Kramer, and Richman is what will worry me when he gets his AD gig.

he can do the same in IA, Klieman isnt going to a P5 yet, hes only been HC 2 years

and the Billy Turner comment, he was coached up to his talent. He was RAW out of HS and playing in as many games as he did helped get him rolling, he was still RAW when he was drafted.

CalBison97
05-11-2016, 12:41 PM
he can do the same in IA, Klieman isnt going to a P5 yet, hes only been HC 2 years

Gene hired him before and CK obviously proved that to be the right hire. I believe 2 national championships and how he handled certain difficult situations trump years of experience. Gene would absolutely be giving CK a phone call.

tony
05-11-2016, 12:53 PM

1. Minnesota would be a GREAT job for Gene. Bottom line, absolutely zero spinning that to make you feel warm and cozy.
2. A good Minnesota/healthy B1G should be potentially good for NDSU. B1G schools shouldn't be going head to head against us very often and when they are successful - even less.

Do you guys even think?

Agree on all points - especially that the Minnesota job would have been great both for Gene and for Minnesota. It still might work out for Minnesota, but if Gene didn't make the list of finalists, then I do question their judgment.

ByeSonBusiness
05-11-2016, 12:58 PM

NDSU will never be a destination school. An AD becoming the AD of a B1G school would be great. A coach moving on to a B1G job would be great. Makes NDSU more appealing to others with similar aspirations.

CalBison97
05-11-2016, 01:06 PM
NDSU will never be a destination school.

For most, no. To some where winning is everything, it certainly could be.

tjbison
05-11-2016, 01:17 PM
Gene hired him before and CK obviously proved that to be the right hire. I believe 2 national championships and how he handled certain difficult situations trump years of experience. Gene would absolutely be giving CK a phone call.

Disagree, but thats fine.....also is MN looking for a coach?? so its all moot point Gene isnt going to UM and they hired a coach

mebisonII
05-11-2016, 02:26 PM
Just adding this to the list of challenges for the next UMN AD:

http://www.startribune.com/pitino-far-exceeded-budget-for-private-jet-travel-university-of-minnesota-audit-finds/378906491/

MNLonghorn10
05-11-2016, 03:05 PM
For most, no. To some where winning is everything, it certainly could be.
I'll cut to the chase here and save you some time.. it's not.

reformedUNDfan
05-11-2016, 03:19 PM

what on earth...:facepalm:
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

they have a top-20 AD in revenue and are arguably the 2nd best AD in the Big10 West.

westnodak93bison
05-11-2016, 03:32 PM
what on earth...:facepalm:
http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

they have a top-20 AD in revenue and are arguably the 2nd best AD in the Big10 West.
Gene's job is a stepping stone, some day he will move up

SDbison
05-11-2016, 03:36 PM
Minnesota sucks period........they are mediocre in sports success at best. Big Ten......Big Deal. Can't believe how many Minnesota homers there are at Bisonville ........maybe you should all switch to Gopherhole for a while to see how pathetic and delusional their sports have become. Their fans are so used to losing that they don't know how to act even when one of their teams occasionally go on a winning streak. Top 20 AD department in revenue......who cares........look at their success. Most of the teams in the top 20 have much better results.

NDSUFREAK
05-11-2016, 05:37 PM
Gophers got their guy: https://t.co/y1wHBlas0x

Looking at his resume this is a pretty good hire for Minnesota

Bison Chief
05-11-2016, 05:50 PM

Do you guys even think?

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to EndZoneQB again.

MNLonghorn10
05-11-2016, 06:06 PM
Minnesota sucks period........they are mediocre in sports success at best. Big Ten......Big Deal. Can't believe how many Minnesota homers there are at Bisonville ........maybe you should all switch to Gopherhole for a while to see how pathetic and delusional their sports have become. Their fans are so used to losing that they don't know how to act even when one of their teams occasionally go on a winning streak. Top 20 AD department in revenue......who cares........look at their success. Most of the teams in the top 20 have much better results.
Lol. Delusional then you have this thread which is the absolute epitome of delusional.

IBleedYellow
05-11-2016, 06:43 PM
Coyle is from Waterloo, Iowa.

Here's hoping he never met Coach K.

AO54
05-11-2016, 08:46 PM
Coyle is from Waterloo, Iowa.

Here's hoping he never met Coach K.
From what I can tell from a little googling, they played together for at least a year. They both went to Columbus high school in Waterloo. Klieman was a senior QB in 85 and Coyle would have been a junior Wide Receiver.

IBleedYellow
05-11-2016, 08:54 PM
From what I can tell from a little googling, they played together for at least a year. They both went to Columbus high school in Waterloo. Klieman was a senior QB in 85 and Coyle would have been a junior Wide Receiver.

Yeah, I found that too after I posted my earlier comment.

THEsocalledfan
05-12-2016, 02:39 PM
So, read the Strib today, and have to admit, I think they got this hire right. Hard to believe, I know.

td577
05-13-2016, 02:42 AM
So, read the Strib today, and have to admit, I think they got this hire right. Hard to believe, I know.

I have been reading a bit too and it doesn't seem like a bad hire. I don't know about leaving Syracuse though. I know they are in a bit of a mess right now, but when they come out of it he could have had his pick of jobs. Sometimes you don't get to pick when one of the ones you want are available now and it sounds like he wanted to be back in the midwest and was fond of his previous stint with the gophers. I lived in upstate NY for 5 years, an hour from Syracuse, and I really liked it but like anywhere, it isn't for everyone.

I really thought it was going to be Goetz. Everything that has happened with the university and the glowing praise she had been getting as interim AD seemed to me like it was a matter of going through the motions. You can't count on Minnesota ever following the script. I was thinking Gene was a long shot because of Goetz, not this scenario.

bisonp
05-13-2016, 01:47 PM
I have been reading a bit too and it doesn't seem like a bad hire. I don't know about leaving Syracuse though. I know they are in a bit of a mess right now, but when they come out of it he could have had his pick of jobs. Sometimes you don't get to pick when one of the ones you want are available now and it sounds like he wanted to be back in the midwest and was fond of his previous stint with the gophers. I lived in upstate NY for 5 years, an hour from Syracuse, and I really liked it but like anywhere, it isn't for everyone.

I really thought it was going to be Goetz. Everything that has happened with the university and the glowing praise she had been getting as interim AD seemed to me like it was a matter of going through the motions. You can't count on Minnesota ever following the script. I was thinking Gene was a long shot because of Goetz, not this scenario.

Goetz didn't have any real experience. She also approved Pitino's extension and hired Claeys without seriously considering anybody else.

For the first time in a long time the Gophers did the right thing. That's no guarantee of success of course but it's a good start.

THEsocalledfan
05-13-2016, 02:32 PM
Goetz didn't have any real experience. She also approved Pitino's extension and hired Claeys without seriously considering anybody else.

For the first time in a long time the Gophers did the right thing. That's no guarantee of success of course but it's a good start.

Couldn't have said it better. That Claeys situation was such a tough deal. With that said, the right thing to do would have been when USD did in a similar situation for BBall.....you hire Claeys as interim for the year with no guarantees, then do a solid search with him as a candidate. Yes, you risk recruiting/assistant coaches leaving, but a bad hire can set your program back 5-10 years. All I can conclude it someone really, really liked him.

imabison
05-13-2016, 03:46 PM
Will Gene come up for the Syracuse job, or another job that may open, just like coaching there is a trail to follow...
Sounds to me like the Gopher's have alot of things to work on...

ByeSonBusiness
05-13-2016, 04:29 PM
Will Gene come up for the Syracuse job, or another job that may open, just like coaching there is a trail to follow...

It'd be nice to see them get moving in the right direction.

THEsocalledfan
05-13-2016, 04:44 PM

How old is Barta? I'd think he would likely slide into the Iowa AD job at some point.

roadwarrior
05-13-2016, 05:22 PM
How old is Barta? I'd think he would likely slide into the Iowa AD job at some point.

Barta is younger than Gene.