PDA

View Full Version : Prince Rogers Nelson has died

IzzyFlexion
04-21-2016, 07:26 PM
Geez............

One of the most prolific artists in pop music had passed away at the age of 57.
Apparently had some sort of severe flu last week and his jet made an emergency landing in Moline, IL.
He made the claim to his fans the next day that he was OK and even performed.

According to this article.........still a lot of unknowns.

http://www.aol.com/article/2016/04/21/legendary-singer-prince-dies-at-57/21348758/

Put the Minneapolis style of music on the map in the early 80s. Hard to believe he's gone.

Answer Gay
04-21-2016, 07:47 PM
"Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to get through this thing called life." - Prince RIP

THEsocalledfan
04-21-2016, 08:05 PM
Say what you want about Prince and his music, but if you did not realize how much of a musical genius he was, you were not paying attention. Hell, he was even one of the great living guitar players and many do not even realize this!

RIP Prince

Bison"FANatic"
04-21-2016, 09:02 PM
I'm here to tell you there is something else the afterworld.

RIP

MNLonghorn10
04-21-2016, 09:10 PM
Shit, was just listening to Prince yesterday or the other day.. Minnesota just lost probably its most popular resident ever.

He was a bad ass in many ways, but wow he had some awesome style that only he could pull off.

Bisonville GasMan
04-21-2016, 09:12 PM
Say what you want about Prince and his music, but if you did not realize how much of a musical genius he was, you were not paying attention. Hell, he was even one of the great living guitar players and many do not even realize this!

RIP Prince

I just posted in What are you listening to…his guitar solo performance on "While my guitar gently weeps" from his 2004 Hall of Fame Induction. It is one of the best examples of his guitar skills that you can find. His solo of course comes at the end of this classic song.

StL Bison Fan
04-21-2016, 09:24 PM
Nuff said...

Eric Clapton was asked about how it felt to be the world's best guitarist.

His response: "I don't know. Ask Prince".

BisonTeacher
04-21-2016, 10:09 PM
This guy (Barry Gordy's son) on cnn seems pretty happy and smiley for losing someone so close.

td577
04-21-2016, 10:27 PM
I had been to a few concerts of his. Always fun how much he is into it. I was sneaking Prince music in the house since his second album until I was an adult. I could get lost in his music for days. I loved his early stuff because it was raw. He threw a lot of pop songs in there but mixed it up with a lot of great music along the way. It felt a lot of times he was putting albums together other people wanted and snuck in some great music he wanted to play.

Some of my favorite songs were more on the pop side, but they were brilliant. Adore, The Beautiful Ones, Sign o' the Times, Purple Rain, and If I was your Girlfriend. He could write in just about any style he wanted to. The proof is in the hits he wrote for others.

What I found interesting about him is when he was off on strange tangents in life, it wasn't for publicity. He was doing his own thing. Whether it was religion, music, film, or whatever; very rarely did it seem like he much cared if anyone liked it as long as he did. He was strange because he was strange, not because there was a pay off. While many do appreciate his ability with the guitar, I have always thought he was seriously underrated. A lot of it was because he liked his heavy fusion funk foundation to carry the rhythm and his playing was often understated. He didn't have to show he was good, he just was. If it didn't make sense musically, there was no room for it.

I do know that no one gets out of here alive and he left quite the legacy at a fairly young age.

bisonaudit
04-21-2016, 10:37 PM
Such a baller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NN3gsSf-Ys&feature=player_embedded

MAKBison
04-21-2016, 11:08 PM
I had been to a few concerts of his. Always fun how much he is into it. I was sneaking Prince music in the house since his second album until I was an adult. I could get lost in his music for days. I loved his early stuff because it was raw. He threw a lot of pop songs in there but mixed it up with a lot of great music along the way. It felt a lot of times he was putting albums together other people wanted and snuck in some great music he wanted to play.

Some of my favorite songs were more on the pop side, but they were brilliant. Adore, The Beautiful Ones, Sign o' the Times, Purple Rain, and If I was your Girlfriend. He could write in just about any style he wanted to. The proof is in the hits he wrote for others.

What I found interesting about him is when he was off on strange tangents in life, it wasn't for publicity. He was doing his own thing. Whether it was religion, music, film, or whatever; very rarely did it seem like he much cared if anyone liked it as long as he did. He was strange because he was strange, not because there was a pay off. While many do appreciate his ability with the guitar, I have always thought he was seriously underrated. A lot of it was because he liked his heavy fusion funk foundation to carry the rhythm and his playing was often understated. He didn't have to show he was good, he just was. If it didn't make sense musically, there was no room for it.

I do know that no one gets out of here alive and he left quite the legacy at a fairly young age.

I always placed his guitar right up there with the very best. I really enjoyed his music from the complicated to the simple....he wrote so many good songs. Such a talent...its a sad day

BisonTeacher
04-21-2016, 11:17 PM
NFL network gonna air the Superbowl performance shortly I think.

HerdBot
04-21-2016, 11:40 PM
Such a baller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NN3gsSf-Ys&feature=player_embedded

Purple Rain guitar solo gave me goose bumps watching that. Awesome

HerdBot
04-21-2016, 11:42 PM
Why do all the good artists and musical geniuses die? Why can't the shitty ones die?

BisonTeacher
04-22-2016, 12:13 AM
Just watched the whole thing. I don't think I had ever seen it. There have been a lot of crappy SB halftime shows since though. Princes was awesome.

Wally
04-22-2016, 02:11 AM
What a kick in the sack. I drove by Paisley at like 930 this morning,saw the responders and never in a million years did I think Prince would be dead in there. 57 damn years old. Wtf man?!

kristind
04-22-2016, 02:24 AM
What a kick in the sack. I drove by Paisley at like 930 this morning,saw the responders and never in a million years did I think Prince would be dead in there. 57 damn years old. Wtf man?!
Yep. My husband works near there and said the helicopters were circling all afternoon presumably filming for various stories....crazy... may he rest in peace....

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

StL Bison Fan
04-22-2016, 03:50 AM

There was a rainbow over it this afternoon. Twitter went wild

BisonTeacher
04-22-2016, 03:52 AM
TMZ reporting he was treated for drug overdose 6 days before.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/04/21/prince-treated-drug-overdose-dead/

NFH Schlüssel
04-22-2016, 09:06 AM
but if you did not realize how much of a musical genius he was, you were not paying attention.

Didn't Kanye say that about himself?

tony
04-22-2016, 10:56 AM
Dang it. Prince was awesome. He left quite a legacy though.

Bisonville GasMan
04-22-2016, 11:52 AM

Well he didn't look well in some of his more recent photos. Whether from chronic illness or drugs (could be legal or illegal obviously) or both, it's very sad.

In that story they mention the "save shot", that would most likely be naloxone. That is the drug that the area here has been needing to use more often to treat people with heroin overdoses. Another possible save drug that is used is call flumazenil. That drug is used to reverse the effects of benzodiazapine type sedatives like Valium, Ativan, and others. People are commonly on those to treat chronic anxiety like conditions.

BisonTeacher
04-22-2016, 12:47 PM
Well he didn't look well in some of his more recent photos. Whether from chronic illness or drugs (could be legal or illegal obviously) or both, it's very sad.

In that story they mention the "save shot", that would most likely be naloxone. That is the drug that the area here has been needing to use more often to treat people with heroin overdoses. Another possible save drug that is used is call flumazenil. That drug is used to reverse the effects of benzodiazapine type sedatives like Valium, Ativan, and others. People are commonly on those to treat chronic anxiety like conditions.

In the tmz report they said opiates. Are opiates commonly used to treat anxiety? Sorry if thats a dumb question. Don't know a lot about drugs.

I must say though...if it turns out to be he was abusing drugs...I have a hard time feeling sad about it.

Bisonville GasMan
04-22-2016, 01:16 PM
In the tmz report they said opiates. Are opiates commonly used to treat anxiety? Sorry if thats a dumb question. Don't know a lot about drugs.

I must say though...if it turns out to be he was abusing drugs...I have a hard time feeling sad about it.

I missed the opiate part. No they are not given directly for anxiety related diagnoses.

THEsocalledfan
04-22-2016, 02:12 PM
Just watched the whole thing. I don't think I had ever seen it. There have been a lot of crappy SB halftime shows since though. Princes was awesome.

BEST I've ever seen. Honestly, and they've had rock banks, he out rocked them all.

bisonp
04-22-2016, 02:23 PM
BEST I've ever seen. Honestly, and they've had rock banks, he out rocked them all.

No doubt. I'm not a huge Prince fan but that was the only Super Bowl halftime show that made me go "wow" in a good way.

I hated a lot more of his music than I liked. But the stuff I did like is essentially the soundtrack of the 80's to me. Odd guy for sure but pure original and always true to himself and to Minnesota.

LikeMothers
04-22-2016, 02:30 PM

Easy to say and judge. Some of that crap gets you hooked the first dose. How many of us could have been drunk at a party and succumbed to, "hey, try this?"

Time to start treating drug abuse like the disease that it is, and feel just as sad as if someone died of a heart attack.

GreenfieldBison
04-22-2016, 03:15 PM
Dang it. Prince was awesome. He left quite a legacy though.

Fortunately according to local reports there is a substantial remaining, and to the rest of us undiscovered, legacy in his Paisley Park vault. Hundreds and hundreds of tapes of unreleased songs that will no doubt hit the airwaves in months to come.

HerdBot
04-22-2016, 03:15 PM

It's TMZ so I won't believe it. They pride themselves on slander. Not saying it's not true but the source sucks pretty bad.

HerdBot
04-22-2016, 03:18 PM

That's why people should just smoke weed instead of hard opiates or legal garbage. Would save millions of lives.

bisonaudit
04-22-2016, 03:41 PM
Fortunately according to local reports there is a substantial remaining, and to the rest of us undiscovered, legacy in his Paisley Park vault. Hundreds and hundreds of tapes of unreleased songs that will no doubt hit the airwaves in months to come.

It would be great if they're released, but I'm not holding my breath.

MNLonghorn10
04-22-2016, 03:48 PM
It's TMZ so I won't believe it. They pride themselves on slander. Not saying it's not true but the source sucks pretty bad.
K TMZ is pretty much right all of the time and they're usually the first to report.

They're legit as weird as that sounds.

BisonTeacher
04-22-2016, 04:22 PM
Easy to say and judge. Some of that crap gets you hooked the first dose. How many of us could have been drunk at a party and succumbed to, "hey, try this?"

Time to start treating drug abuse like the disease that it is, and feel just as sad as if someone died of a heart attack.

I didnt say you couldnt feel sad. I said I won't. At the Bold....so don't do it. Its a choice.

K TMZ is pretty much right all of the time and they're usually the first to report.

They're legit as weird as that sounds.

This is what i was thinking. Werent they the first to break the story he was dead?

MNLonghorn10
04-22-2016, 04:36 PM
Yea they were. There were shady right away but pretty much everything now is accurate.

EndZoneQB
04-22-2016, 04:52 PM
It's an opioid overdose, specifically heroin. You can take that to the bank, guaranteed. Heard about it midday yesterday from someone I trust a lot.

Bison 4 Life
04-22-2016, 04:56 PM
He's had chronic hip problems and refused to get surgery because of that idiotic Jehovah's Witness blood rule.

HerdBot
04-22-2016, 05:03 PM
It's an opioid overdose, specifically heroin. You can take that to the bank, guaranteed. Heard about it midday yesterday from someone I trust a lot.

Nope. It was percoset. So sick of prescription drugs killing people.
http://www.inforum.com/variety/4015707-prince-reportedly-overdosed-painkillers-days-death

PattyBison
04-22-2016, 05:03 PM
He's had chronic hip problems and refused to get surgery because of that idiotic Jehovah's Witness blood rule.

So people can't comment on your religion without a meltdown, but you can be critical of others?

EndZoneQB
04-22-2016, 05:12 PM
http://www.inforum.com/variety/4015707-prince-reportedly-overdosed-painkillers-days-death

Which is an opioid...

HerdBot
04-22-2016, 05:12 PM

So people can't comment on your religion without a meltdown, but you can be critical of others?

I see your point but he's just pointing out how his religious views may have actually contributed to his death. It's not an attack on religion overall, just a specific rule in a specific religion. Wish that religion addressed prescription drugs instead of weird stuff.

PattyBison
04-22-2016, 05:18 PM
I see your point but he's just pointing out how his religious views may have actually contributed to his death. It's not an attack on religion overall, just a specific rule in a specific religion. Wish that religion addressed prescription drugs instead of weird stuff.

He called it idiotic....

EndZoneQB
04-22-2016, 05:19 PM
He called it idiotic....

Can you prove it's not?

PattyBison
04-22-2016, 05:26 PM
Can you prove it's not?

Can you prove it is?

PattyBison
04-22-2016, 05:27 PM
Can you prove it's not?
But honestly that's not my issue. I am not Jehovah's. Rather I was pointing out his hypocracy.

EndZoneQB
04-22-2016, 05:27 PM
Can you prove it is?

Prince is dead.

Your turn.

PattyBison
04-22-2016, 05:34 PM
Prince is dead.

Your turn.

Oh cool. You are clearly omniscient and understand how he died and all of his medical history. Good to know!!

HerdBot
04-22-2016, 05:39 PM
He called it idiotic....

He called that specific rule idiotic... not the religion. Not hypocritic

1998braves64
04-22-2016, 06:03 PM

Has oxycodone which is an opiate.

HerdBot
04-22-2016, 06:06 PM
Which is an opioid...

But i though you said heroin specifically. . Actually it don't mstter. Prescription drugs are just as dangerous as illegal shit

HerdBot
04-22-2016, 06:19 PM

Athiesm is not a religion. Its the opposite of religion.

EndZoneQB
04-22-2016, 06:26 PM
Oh cool. You are clearly omniscient and understand how he died and all of his medical history. Good to know!!

Thank you for noticing, but I prefer omnipotent.

THEsocalledfan
04-22-2016, 06:34 PM
Back on topic. http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikings/post/_/id/18664/that-day-when-prince-met-sid-hartman

What a story.

LikeMothers
04-22-2016, 06:35 PM
Athiesm is not a religion. Its the opposite of religion.

I hate to dive into this one but atheism is a religion in that it involves a belief system, in that a person believes there are no deities. Agnosticism is probably the closest thing to non-religion. The two are often mixed up.

56BISON73
04-22-2016, 06:39 PM

Which shouldnt have been a consideration because they now use "Cell Saver" which takes your blood loss during the operation and puts it back in your body. You can also donate blood to yourself before the surgery.

HerdBot
04-22-2016, 06:39 PM
I hate to dive into this one but atheism is a religion in that it involves a belief system, in that a person believes there are no deities. Agnosticism is probably the closest thing to non-religion. The two are often mixed up.

Athiesm is a religion like abstinence is a sex position. Sorry stole that one from Bill Maher. He comes across as kind of a dick though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_25w9CE73ak

bisonaudit
04-22-2016, 07:43 PM
I don't know how we ended up down this rabbit hole, because according to the story linked earlier he had surgery on the bad hip 6 years ago.

BadlandsBison
04-22-2016, 08:20 PM
Tony, how could you possibly want to give up Bisonville?! Look at all of this fabulous progress.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

td577
04-22-2016, 11:15 PM
It would be good if his death does turn pain management, or the lack thereof for some people, into a public discussion. I have chronic pain issues that have included trips to month long pain clinics where my experience was mostly watching other people break their opiate addiction. I have been fortunate my experiences with narcotic pain management have been a few 4-6 stints following surgeries and have resorted to other methods to deal with pain, but I can certainly see the draw to using opiates to deal with pain. It is easy and under the right managed care, can be beneficial. Of course, the problem becomes addiction. I know there have been many nights in my life where I wish I had kept some around because it would have been easier to sleep through the night if there was something a little stronger to take the edge off the pain.

We will find out what the cause of death was at some point, but just the mention of narcotics being used in Prince's pain management is hopefully enough for the realization there are people who would benefit from a safer, better managed program. Whether that be medicinal marijuana or another option, I don't know. While the pain is a reminder I am still alive, it isn't a whole lot of fun sometimes.

HerdBoy
04-22-2016, 11:17 PM
I'm not a very funky person but he was alright by me. A bit different like Sly Stone meets Jimi Hendrix.

Bison 4 Life
04-23-2016, 12:10 AM
Which shouldnt have been a consideration because they now use "Cell Saver" which takes your blood loss during the operation and puts it back in your body. You can also donate blood to yourself before the surgery.
Look I live with one okay? I know it makes some of them fear medical treatment. Furthermore having gone through childbirth twice I know that there is a palpable fear that's something catastrophic could happen with no remedy. This isn't just some thought exercise or anti-religion rant. This is exactly what I said it was an idiotic rule that has no basis in anything forget what type of atheist or agnostic or whatever you think I am.

bisonp
04-23-2016, 01:07 AM
A big part of the problem is that doctors prescribe opiates like candy. When my son broke his arm at 7 the surgeon prescribed him a 30 day supply. He said it was pain medication, we didn't ask for it and I didn't really know what it was until the pharmacist asked if we really needed that much. Of course we didn't, he had 2-3 doses over a day and I don't think he ever really needed it in the first place.

I think society has turned into such a bunch of wimps that most people won't tolerate minor discomfort so doctors have just gotten used to prescribing them for anything and everything. That's not to say opiates have no place in medical practice, but they are a real problem and the medical community needs to take more responsibility. Like td says, hopefully if this really was a painkiller OD real action will finally be taken.

HerdBot
04-23-2016, 01:15 AM
A big part of the problem is that doctors prescribe opiates like candy. When my son broke his arm at 7 the surgeon prescribed him a 30 day supply. He said it was pain medication, we didn't ask for it and I didn't really know what it was until the pharmacist asked if we really needed that much. Of course we didn't, he had 2-3 doses over a day and I don't think he ever really needed it in the first place.

I think society has turned into such a bunch of wimps that most people won't tolerate minor discomfort so doctors have just gotten used to prescribing them for anything and everything. That's not to say opiates have no place in medical practice, but they are a real problem and the medical community needs to take more responsibility. Like td says, hopefully if this really was a painkiller OD real action will finally be taken.

Heck they prescribe me codeine after I see the dentist and I pass every time in favor of larger doses of ibuprofen. Most people in my family have been prescribed some sort of hard core pain killer and we just decline the offer from the legal drug dealers.

bisonp
04-23-2016, 01:23 AM
Heck they prescribe me codeine after I see the dentist and I pass every time in favor of larger doses of ibuprofen. Most people in my family have been prescribed some sort of hard core pain killer and we just decline the offer from the legal drug dealers.

When I had my wisdom teeth out 20 some years ago, ibuprofen is all I got...and all I needed. I had no idea how bad it was these days until our experience with my son. It's no wonder so many people are hooked.

EndZoneQB
04-23-2016, 02:14 AM

Tylenol #3 is not even in the same hemisphere.

bisonaudit
04-23-2016, 02:19 AM
When I had my wisdom teeth out 20 some years ago, ibuprofen is all I got...and all I needed. I had no idea how bad it was these days until our experience with my son. It's no wonder so many people are hooked.

I had all 4 of mine done last year. The shit they gave me. The ride, the ride was soooooo smoooooth......

I said baby don't waste your time, I know what's on your mind, I'm only qualified for a one night stand.

Hammersmith
04-23-2016, 04:06 AM
Had morphine, percoset, percodan, vicodin, codine, and a couple non-opioids. Morphine kept me drowsy/sleeping, percoset had me hallucinating stuffed animals, and vicodin didn't seem to do much more than give me a queasy stomach. But the stuff they give you just as they're putting you under anesthesia? Daaammnnn that's nice. Could easily see getting hooked on whatever that was.

td577
04-23-2016, 04:15 AM

It is a fine line. Narcotics have a role in a well supervised pain management program, but once a person is released and sent home with a bottle of opiates, it isn't well managed anymore. I have health conditions on top of health conditions thanks to mismanagement by health professionals over the years. Thankfully, narcotics wasn't part of the problem even though chronic pain has been. I just don't like taking pain killers of any sort. Even though I have escaped so far without a narcotic addiction, I have seen and can understand the ease in which someone can fall into that trap. I have been straight out asked by doctors if I want anything, with the emphasis on anything. These weren't doctors anything other than trying to be helpful. Just about every fiber of my being is screaming no but there is always a small part of me that is whispering you could have a good night's sleep. Even for just one night. Come on, just let them help. I can't imagine what it would be like when the escape can't be escaped.

I had all 4 of mine done last year. The shit they gave me. The ride, the ride was soooooo smoooooth......

I said baby don't waste your time, I know what's on your mind, I'm only qualified for a one night stand.

I remember the first time I was prescribed Percocet. On my follow up the doctor asked me if it killed the pain. I remember my answer was it didn't, but I didn't care.

td577
04-23-2016, 04:19 AM
Had morphine, percoset, percodan, vicodin, codine, and a couple non-opioids. Morphine kept me drowsy/sleeping, percoset had me hallucinating stuffed animals, and vicodin didn't seem to do much more than give me a queasy stomach. But the stuff they give you just as they're putting you under anesthesia? Daaammnnn that's nice. Could easily see getting hooked on whatever that was.

Generally it is demerol. It is incredible.

HerdBot
04-23-2016, 06:17 AM
Tylenol #3 is not even in the same hemisphere.

I think it's safer but it's still a narcotic. Once your need a bunch to get the same effect and mix it with some drinks it cam be fatal

EndZoneQB
04-23-2016, 06:59 PM
I think it's safer but it's still a narcotic. Once your need a bunch to get the same effect and mix it with some drinks it cam be fatal

It has nothing to do with the codeine tho. It's the toxic amount of acetaminophen you end up taking just to get a "buzz". Talk about liver damage.

Answer Guy
04-23-2016, 10:08 PM
Daaammnnn that's nice. Could easily see getting hooked on whatever that was.

A few years ago I was prescribed Fentanyl, the lowest transdermal dose available. Needed it for 10 days; took me 2 more weeks to get off it. 80-100 times stronger than morphine.

Don't mess around with that crap unless you really need it.

Wally
04-23-2016, 11:27 PM
A few years ago I was prescribed Fentanyl, the lowest transdermal dose available. Needed it for 10 days; took me 2 more weeks to get off it. 80-100 times stronger than morphine.

Holy....80-100 x stronger than morphine? I had morphine one time when I was brought to ER for SEVERE stomach pains. They gave me an IV of some pain reliever and didn't work. They then gave me morphine and holy shit was that a trip. I fell asleep/passed out within 5 minutes and was asleep for like 15-20 minutes, but it felt like I was asleep for hours. My wife said I was like talking just gibberish. She said I was freaking out to her because I was saying I was getting attacked by cats who had knives as paws. LOL.

td577
04-23-2016, 11:30 PM

I will take just one chronic pain issue I have. I tore my rotator cuff over 18 months ago. Went through rehab and all that because the doctor told me if I was earnest in my attempt to rehab and there was still a problem, he would go in and clean up all the scuffing. I was down to almost no mobility and a lot of pain. I was actually offered narcotics to sleep through the night. I refused because I have seen too many people hooked into the cycle. I have worked up to the point with most of the mobility back but still a lot of pain. The doctor still won't go in and clean up the spur and the scuffing because he is concerned about further damage. I am wondering if I took the drug option if I would have left him no choice. A year and a half later, I can't go to sleep on my right side and if I turn that way, I wake up and it takes 15 minutes or so for the pain to subside enough to fall back asleep. This is just my shoulder which is actually the least of my chronic pain issues. My point being is there is a solution to this that does carry some risk but would beat the option some would take where they would be on drugs to manage the pain. If I took the drug option, I could become an addict. If I was given the surgery option, I could get better or still be in pain. I am already in pain, so the chance to be pain free seems like a reasonable attempt. Only one option has the potential of killing me. In chronic pain issues, does the narcotic option just become the easier choice for everyone? I mostly suck it up, but that doesn't mean everyone should or has that capacity.

Hammersmith
04-24-2016, 12:23 AM

I wonder if that's what it was. Wiki says fentanyl is used for anesthesia. In any case, all but the Vicodin were given in the hospital for surgical recovery, and I rarely used the Vicodin after I was released. There was one time I really, really, really wished I had taken one(if the docs ever have to pull a 12" drain tube out of you, make sure you take the strongest painkiller you have 15 min before - trust me). Other than that, ibuprofen worked fine for me.

Still, it's important to stay 'ahead' of the pain. Prolonged, serious pain can drain the body down and inhibit recovery. And once you go down that hole, it takes significantly more painkillers to get you up out of the hole than if you had stayed on top of it in the first place. Thankfully, I've never had the chronic pain issues some of you have had. I have a few places that flare up from time to time(my hip joints are trading two-week cycles at the moment), but they never last long enough to drain me down.

kab1one
04-24-2016, 01:15 AM
Did Prince ever play Fargo in the Kirby's or Raplh's days? Is there any urban legend that he played in Fargo aside from the Fargo Dome song in the 90'S

They was a band called Matahari, played an NDSU spring dance at the old hotel next to the Holiday Mall and Mick's South. I think they had some Prince tie in, but that spring concert was 85/86 time table. So prince would have already been pretty big in the industry.

Answer Guy
04-24-2016, 01:45 AM
Holy....80-100 x stronger than morphine? I had morphine one time when I was brought to ER for SEVERE stomach pains.

Not only 80-100 x stronger than morphine, but also 40-50 x stronger than heroin. That's exactly what I felt like after trying to stop after 10 days of low dosage, a drug addict coming clean.

That's a lot of the area drug problems lately, they're mixing fentanyl powder in with heroin. Unless it was mixed in a medical lab, any heroin with fentanyl is pretty much going to kill you.

Saw somewhere that a drug addict could probably take only 4 tiny grains of powdered fentanyl without dying. The stuff is scary powerful.

runtheoption
04-24-2016, 02:23 AM
I will take just one chronic pain issue I have. I tore my rotator cuff over 18 months ago. Went through rehab and all that because the doctor told me if I was earnest in my attempt to rehab and there was still a problem, he would go in and clean up all the scuffing. I was down to almost no mobility and a lot of pain. I was actually offered narcotics to sleep through the night. I refused because I have seen too many people hooked into the cycle. I have worked up to the point with most of the mobility back but still a lot of pain. The doctor still won't go in and clean up the spur and the scuffing because he is concerned about further damage. I am wondering if I took the drug option if I would have left him no choice. A year and a half later, I can't go to sleep on my right side and if I turn that way, I wake up and it takes 15 minutes or so for the pain to subside enough to fall back asleep. This is just my shoulder which is actually the least of my chronic pain issues. My point being is there is a solution to this that does carry some risk but would beat the option some would take where they would be on drugs to manage the pain. If I took the drug option, I could become an addict. If I was given the surgery option, I could get better or still be in pain. I am already in pain, so the chance to be pain free seems like a reasonable attempt. Only one option has the potential of killing me. In chronic pain issues, does the narcotic option just become the easier choice for everyone? I mostly suck it up, but that doesn't mean everyone should or has that capacity.

I was gonna do rehab, but I got high.
I was gonna use those stretchy bands, then I got high.
Now the docs slicing my shoulder, and I know why, YA YAAA.
Cuz I got high, cuz I got high, because I got high.

td577
04-24-2016, 02:50 AM
I was gonna do rehab, but I got high.
I was gonna use those stretchy bands, then I got high.
Now the docs slicing my shoulder, and I know why, YA YAAA.
Cuz I got high, cuz I got high, because I got high.
Maybe I should get high.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

LikeMothers
04-24-2016, 03:01 AM
I went down to Paisley Park today. People of all ages and walks of life were there. It was fairly somber and orderly with the Sheriffs deputies not having to explain too much to people. There was one incident of "No ma'am, I'll tell you again, you're not on the list, you're not going in!"

Wally
04-24-2016, 03:33 AM
I went down to Paisley Park today. People of all ages and walks of life were there. It was fairly somber and orderly with the Sheriffs deputies not having to explain too much to people. There was one incident of "No ma'am, I'll tell you again, you're not on the list, you're not going in!"

I stopped by on Friday as was amazed seeing all the cameras and news people from so many different countries.

StL Bison Fan
04-24-2016, 03:35 AM
apparently he was cremated and the family had a quiet ceremony.

td577
04-24-2016, 11:44 AM
apparently he was cremated and the family had a quiet ceremony.

That wasn't a surprise. I am sure there were people who wanted a huge spectacle of a ceremony, but that seems like it reflects what he was about.

JMB
04-24-2016, 11:58 AM
That wasn't a surprise. I am sure there were people who wanted a huge spectacle of a ceremony, but that seems like it reflects what he was about.

Oh, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a more public "memorial concert" or something similar to what they did with Freddie Mercury.

td577
04-24-2016, 02:43 PM
Oh, I wouldn't be surprised if there is a more public "memorial concert" or something similar to what they did with Freddie Mercury.
I wouldn't either. Just the funeral being private and done with already seems consistent. I could see a concert. It would have been strange to see a public funeral like for MJ or other celebrities because Prince was hardly public about anything except some of his music.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Bison_Pyro
04-25-2016, 07:33 PM
I was at the Mumford and Sons concert at the Xcel the day of his passing. Nice tribute to Prince between acts and Mumford played a cover of "Nothing Compares 2 U"

Hammerhead
04-25-2016, 09:57 PM

It's too bad US Bank stadium with all those purple seats isn't open yet. I wonder if he was a Vikings fan or just liked Purple since it's one of the colors favored by royalty.

bisonp
04-26-2016, 02:19 PM
It's too bad US Bank stadium with all those purple seats isn't open yet. I wonder if he was a Vikings fan or just liked Purple since it's one of the colors favored by royalty.

Nobody knows for certain why he associated himself with purple, and the association with royalty seems to be the prevailing theory, but he was indeed a Vikings fan. He even released a Vikings song prior to the 2010 NFC title game. Which was a pretty cool thing to do but I will warn you, it's really awful:

Prince: Purple and Gold (http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Princes-Vikings-Song---Purple-and-Gold/e48c43f8-27e8-4ff4-a367-1d36975dd042)

He was also an WNBA fan and hosted a private concert for the Lynx (http://www.startribune.com/prince-throws-3-hour-concert-party-for-champion-lynx-at-paisley-park/333016441/) after their last title.

MNLonghorn10
04-26-2016, 03:12 PM
Damn straight he bled purple and gold

http://media.oregonlive.com/nfl/photo/princeatgamejpg-962aca64b8199a8b_large.jpg

Wally
04-27-2016, 12:30 AM
Great story :rofl::rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9iVXxFt1Wg

tony
04-27-2016, 01:17 AM
Great story :rofl::rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9iVXxFt1Wg

Prince was one the great forces of randomness.

I wonder if Prince and Bill Murray were ever in the same place at the same time? If they were, I'm guessing the Law of Total Probability temporarily became the Law of Infinite Possibility.

bisonaudit
04-27-2016, 02:11 AM
Prince was one the great forces of randomness.

I wonder if Prince and Bill Murray were ever in the same place at the same time? If they were, I'm guessing the Law of Total Probability temporarily became the Law of Infinite Possibility.

They would have spontaneously transformed into a bowl of petunias and an innocent sperm whale.

Bison"FANatic"
04-28-2016, 08:15 PM
Well finally back from vacation and had some time and started thinking about and listening to some Prince music. I had a DJ business in high school and played a bunch of his music. Then when I was getting my Doctorate and the shit was hitting the fan and it was go time on important tests or finals week The Love Symbol Album was one of my go to albums to crank up and study to, over and over and over. My name is Prince, Sexy MF, 7, to my favorite Arrogance.

I learned every nerve and its branches, every muscle, origin, insertion, action and innervation, differential diagnosis for everything from a blown lumbar disc to cancers to aneurysms to 100's and 100's of other diseases and sequelaes to that music.

It is crazy how listening to that album brought back tons of memories from sitting in my apartment with that music cranked (and I mean cranked I don't know how I never got yelled at by the neighbors) going over the brachial plexus written on a 4x8 foot white board to having it blast over headphones in the cadaver lab. Prince music had a big part in getting me to where I am today. (Along with Black Sabbath, We Sold our Soul for Rock and Roll that was the other go to study album) When those 2 albums came out things were getting serious.

JMB
04-29-2016, 05:32 PM
The would have spontaneously transformed into a bowl of petunias and an innocent sperm whale.

Bisonaudit you truly have a Heart of Gold

roadwarrior
04-29-2016, 05:51 PM
Prince apparently left no will. Let the battles begin. A will is a pretty simple thing to do. Everyone should have one.

bisonmike2
04-29-2016, 06:05 PM
Prince apparently left no will. Let the battles begin. A will is a pretty simple thing to do. Everyone should have one.

Mine's pretty simple. My wife gets all my shit.

StL Bison Fan
04-29-2016, 06:25 PM

Doesn't she aready have it?

IzzyFlexion
04-30-2016, 04:13 PM

Here ya go young men. This post is eerily topical. In the 1984 movie Purple Rain.............that propelled Prince's career skyward, "The Kid" (Prince) had this conversation with his movie father:

Father: You got a girlfriend?

The Kid: Yeah, I got a girlfriend.

Father: You gonna get married?

The Kid: I don't know.

Father: Never get married.

HerdBot
05-01-2016, 01:35 PM
Well finally back from vacation and had some time and started thinking about and listening to some Prince music. I had a DJ business in high school and played a bunch of his music. Then when I was getting my Doctorate and the shit was hitting the fan and it was go time on important tests or finals week The Love Symbol Album was one of my go to albums to crank up and study to, over and over and over. My name is Prince, Sexy MF, 7, to my favorite Arrogance.

I learned every nerve and its branches, every muscle, origin, insertion, action and innervation, differential diagnosis for everything from a blown lumbar disc to cancers to aneurysms to 100's and 100's of other diseases and sequelaes to that music.

It is crazy how listening to that album brought back tons of memories from sitting in my apartment with that music cranked (and I mean cranked I don't know how I never got yelled at by the neighbors) going over the brachial plexus written on a 4x8 foot white board to having it blast over headphones in the cadaver lab. Prince music had a big part in getting me to where I am today. (Along with Black Sabbath, We Sold our Soul for Rock and Roll that was the other go to study album) When those 2 albums came out things were getting serious.

I dont like anything of his post Purple Rain music but I still totally respect the guy though. Musical genius

BisonTeacher
05-04-2016, 02:55 PM
Prince team sought addiction doctor's help, newspaper reports
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/04/health/prince-addiction-doctor-kornfeld/index.html

Answer Guy
05-06-2016, 01:44 AM
Not only 80-100 x stronger than morphine, but also 40-50 x stronger than heroin. That's exactly what I felt like after trying to stop after 10 days of low dosage, a drug addict coming clean.

That's a lot of the area drug problems lately, they're mixing fentanyl powder in with heroin. Unless it was mixed in a medical lab, any heroin with fentanyl is pretty much going to kill you.

Saw somewhere that a drug addict could probably take only 4 tiny grains of powdered fentanyl without dying. The stuff is scary powerful.

Pretty good story on fentanyl.

http://www.inforum.com/news/4026220-error-mixing-heroin-fentanyl-could-cause-end-your-life

bisonp
05-10-2016, 06:08 PM
Prince was in talks for an Aug. 13 concert at U.S. Bank Stadium (http://www.startribune.com/prince-was-in-talks-for-an-aug-13-concert-at-u-s-bank-stadium/378822271/)

Minnesota music legend Prince was in talks to perform at U.S. Bank Stadium, which opens Aug. 3, before he died unexpectedly last month.

Vikings vice president Lester Bagley said on KFAN Tuesday that Prince’s management was discussing the possibility of a show on Aug. 13, which would have made him the first to play the new $1.1 billion, 66,200-seat stadium.

Here is a speaker sound check at the stadium playing Purple Rain:

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2016/5/8/11634328/video-unofficial-sound-test-at-u-s-bank-stadium

Edit: Damn it, that video is gone and I can't find it again.

1998braves64
05-11-2016, 01:20 AM
Prince was in talks for an Aug. 13 concert at U.S. Bank Stadium (http://www.startribune.com/prince-was-in-talks-for-an-aug-13-concert-at-u-s-bank-stadium/378822271/)

Here is a speaker sound check at the stadium playing Purple Rain:

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2016/5/8/11634328/video-unofficial-sound-test-at-u-s-bank-stadium

Edit: Damn it, that video is gone and I can't find it again.

Heard Lester talking about it on power trip, sounded like it was a few minor details from being a done deal! Probably would have sucked of they'd had a deal and started selling tickets and all of this had gone down. Wonder if KFAN guys knew about it a bit because they were talking about that very thing last week about prince kicking off the us bank stadium era. Sounds like they're going to try to do some memorial thing once his people get things straightened out.

bisonaudit
04-21-2023, 03:30 PM
And love, it isn’t love until it’s passed.

heffray
04-21-2023, 03:49 PM
This is one of the greatest videos of all time and deserves a bump from time to time…

RIP, dearly beloved:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3MC6s9HHonU

GOB1SON
04-21-2023, 06:05 PM
This is one of the greatest videos of all time and deserves a bump from time to time…

RIP, dearly beloved:

Remember the first time I ever saw that. Had no idea he could shred like that. Still blows me away.

GreenfieldBison
04-21-2023, 08:56 PM

RIP, dearly beloved:

Must spread rep - but - strongly agree.

WhoRepsTheLurker
04-21-2023, 10:28 PM
Not to brag or anything ... but I saw His Royal Badness in the Civic Center in 1983 with Vanity 6 and the Time. The Time damn near stole the show, but the little guy earned the headline. No wonder his body hurt by the end …

Someone snagged a ticket for me last minute, and one of the people going was Brown Mark’s (bassist) hair stylist, so we got a tip on an after party at a hotel way out in the burbs with a full spread

They jammed all night – Prince on drums, people swapping in and out on bass and guitar, and Stevie Nicks (of all people) on vocals. I think I was there until 4 am and then had to do jury duty the next day down in St. Paul. They dismissed me before they sequestered …

Crazy stuff. The 80s were unique for sure. RIP Mr Nelson. You are a true Minnesota icon, no doubt. Right up there with Bud Grant, Hubert Humphrey, and … Joey Browner

heffray
04-22-2023, 12:50 AM
Not to brag or anything ... but I saw His Royal Badness in the Civic Center in 1983 with Vanity 6 and the Time. The Time damn near stole the show, but the little guy earned the headline. No wonder his body hurt by the end …

Someone snagged a ticket for me last minute, and one of the people going was Brown Mark’s (bassist) hair stylist, so we got a tip on an after party at a hotel way out in the burbs with a full spread

They jammed all night – Prince on drums, people swapping in and out on bass and guitar, and Stevie Nicks (of all people) on vocals. I think I was there until 4 am and then had to do jury duty the next day down in St. Paul. They dismissed me before they sequestered …

Crazy stuff. The 80s were unique for sure. RIP Mr Nelson. You are a true Minnesota icon, no doubt. Right up there with Bud Grant, Hubert Humphrey, and … Joey Browner

Wow great story.

unbison
04-22-2023, 02:00 AM

Wow it sounds like a lakes bison whopper with the name dropping but I’ll buy in
Night of a lifetime it sounds like

WhoRepsTheLurker
04-22-2023, 02:00 AM
Wow great story.

It’s a wild story and all from literally being in the right place at the right time
It literally fell in my lap
Sorry if I already shared it on here somewhere
I can’t remember

WhoRepsTheLurker
04-22-2023, 02:27 AM
Wow it sounds like a lakes bison whopper with the name dropping but I’ll buy in
Night of a lifetime it sounds like

I know right? but its all true

Except it was the Met. I had to look it up

Civic center, Humpty dome, it's all a little fuzzy in my mind ...

Hammerhead
05-02-2023, 08:59 PM
The tours at Paisley Park are interesting. I never knew he had such a fondness for serving pancakes to guests like the Lynx after they won their WNBA title and hosting frequent dance parties there.

bisonaudit
05-02-2023, 09:32 PM
The tours at Paisley Park are interesting. I never knew he had such a fondness for serving pancakes to guests like the Lynx after they won their WNBA title and hosting frequent dance parties there.

Clearly not a watcher of Chapelle Show.

cbline
05-05-2023, 02:05 PM
We are heading for a bit of a road trip this Sunday. Sounds like a good time to play one of his "Best Of . . ." CD's.