PDA

View Full Version : Grad Transfers

mebisonII
03-31-2016, 02:46 PM
Curious what everyone's thoughts are on Done-And-One grad transfers and schools limiting the transfer options?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/michigan-limiting-spike-albrecht-s-transfer-options-224019956-ncaab.html

bisonaudit
03-31-2016, 04:03 PM
It's pretty horse shit when a coach can walk away from a 5 year deal at any point and go where ever is going to pay them the most but a player can't walk away from a zero year deal and go where ever they want and not get paid at all.

unbison
04-01-2016, 01:21 AM
Seems like a pretty similar story

southcliffbison
04-01-2016, 03:40 PM

Hope CB is saving and investing his money wisely.

ByeSonBusiness
04-01-2016, 09:14 PM
It's pretty horse shit when a coach can walk away from a 5 year deal at any point and go where ever is going to pay them the most but a player can't walk away from a zero year deal and go where ever they want and not get paid at all.

The player agrees to the contract don't they?

bisonaudit
04-02-2016, 12:07 AM
The player agrees to the contract don't they?

And the coach didn't?

Is it in their scholarship agreement? Even if it is, it's pretty tough to make a non-compete stick even when you're willing to admit the person is an employee.

The kid fulfilled his obligation to the school, the school fulfilled its obligation to him. He's a student athlete who's trying to further his education and an premier educational institution in a conference that takes pride in the academic profile of its member institutions is standing in the way of that because, why?

ByeSonBusiness
04-02-2016, 05:56 PM
And the coach didn't?

Is it in their scholarship agreement? Even if it is, it's pretty tough to make a non-compete stick even when you're willing to admit the person is an employee.

The kid fulfilled his obligation to the school, the school fulfilled its obligation to him. He's a student athlete who's trying to further his education and an premier educational institution in a conference that takes pride in the academic profile of its member institutions is standing in the way of that because, why?

I'm with ya, I don't think a player should have any restrictions on the graduate transfer stuff. I don't care for restricting transfers for underclassmen either. The coach has a buyout though. I won't hate on them for utilizing that clause.

bisonaudit
05-03-2016, 07:54 PM
Spike Albrecht is going to Purdue for graduate school. Michigan has dropped their objection to him transferring to a team on their schedule and pending a waiver from the BIG, he'll be eligible immediately.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2016/05/03/spike-albrecht-purdue-basketball/83866182/

North Side
05-04-2016, 02:27 AM
Good let the guy get his graduate degree who cares about football.

southcliffbison
05-04-2016, 09:52 PM
Good let the guy get his graduate degree who cares about football.

Right, nobody cares about football, don't let football get in the way of a Masters degree; unless Albrecht has a hand in a Purdue victory over Michigan. Granted, not likely, but who thought the Yotes would beat the Bison.

Vet70
05-04-2016, 09:57 PM
Right, nobody cares about football, don't let football get in the way of a Masters degree; unless Albrecht has a hand in a Purdue victory over Michigan. Granted, not likely, but who thought the Yotes would beat the Bison.

It is even less likely since Albrecht plays basketball.:)

southcliffbison
05-05-2016, 12:45 AM
It is even less likely since Albrecht plays basketball.:)

Well, aren't the fool !!! It's what I deserve for not paying closer attention....... my bad !

56BISON73
05-05-2016, 01:04 AM

"At Michigan, guard Spike Albrecht is completing his undergraduate degree this semester. On Monday he announced his intention to transfer elsewhere and play immediately as a graduate transfer. Part of the reason for this is the fact that Albrecht has been recruited over – there would be no room for him at Michigan as a fifth-year player, something coach John Beilein made clear months ago, before Albrecht redshirted this season to have double hip surgery.

"I talked to John Beilein last year about a redshirt and they told us, 'We’re one over for scholarships next year, and we’re recruiting a top point guard,' " Chuck Albrecht, Spike’s father, said. "That was with the anticipation of Spike graduating."

Yes it does.

unbison
05-05-2016, 02:09 AM
"At Michigan, guard Spike Albrecht is completing his undergraduate degree this semester. On Monday he announced his intention to transfer elsewhere and play immediately as a graduate transfer. Part of the reason for this is the fact that Albrecht has been recruited over – there would be no room for him at Michigan as a fifth-year player, something coach John Beilein made clear months ago, before Albrecht redshirted this season to have double hip surgery.

"I talked to John Beilein last year about a redshirt and they told us, 'We’re one over for scholarships next year, and we’re recruiting a top point guard,' " Chuck Albrecht, Spike’s father, said. "That was with the anticipation of Spike graduating."

Yes it does.

It took a while but someone saw what I was speaking of