PDA

View Full Version : Augustana wins a Natty in some place called Frisco !!

southcliffbison
03-26-2016, 09:04 PM
Great job by the Vikings and ex-Bison coach Tom Billiter defeating Lincoln Memorial of Tennessee for their first national championship.

MNLonghorn10
03-26-2016, 09:15 PM
Big ups. They had a great team when I watched them play msum. Who happened to have their best team in years but could never beat augustana

ndsubison1
03-27-2016, 01:24 AM
They would've done well in the Summit

MrAugustana
03-27-2016, 01:55 AM
Fun couple of seasons for the Vikes. Two years ago we were finishing up a less-than-satisfying season that ended in a 16-14 record. Since then, we've gone 65-5. Pretty solid turnaround by these players, Coach Billeter and his staff, and the rest of the Augustana community involved with the men's basketball program. All with a roster featuring no D1 or JuCo transfers. Kind of incredible.

We're losing a great group of seniors, but the future is still very bright. Fun time to be a Viking.

MrAugustana
03-27-2016, 05:04 AM
One other thing I forgot to mention. Heard Billeter on one of the radio interviews earlier this week and he talked for a full minute or two about how much the people of Frisco love NDSU. Said something along the lines of, "There's NDSU gear and memorabilia all over the walls of restaurants and every business in this town. I think they're embracing us because we tell them we're from South Dakota and they just hear the Dakota part and light up...as long as there's a Dakota, it's good enough for them." Can't remember exactly how he said it, but I figured you NDSU fans would appreciate it.

Mr Meaty
03-27-2016, 12:11 PM
Great win Vikes!!!!!

tjbison
03-27-2016, 04:02 PM
One other thing I forgot to mention. Heard Billeter on one of the radio interviews earlier this week and he talked for a full minute or two about how much the people of Frisco love NDSU. Said something along the lines of, "There's NDSU gear and memorabilia all over the walls of restaurants and every business in this town. I think they're embracing us because we tell them we're from South Dakota and they just hear the Dakota part and light up...as long as there's a Dakota, it's good enough for them." Can't remember exactly how he said it, but I figured you NDSU fans would appreciate it.

yep, some of those businesses donate to our Athletic booster club!!

Tony Almeida
03-27-2016, 05:04 PM
Where can I hear this? I need to hear it! For the love of Edna where is the podcast?!

MrAugustana
03-27-2016, 06:50 PM
Where can I hear this? I need to hear it! For the love of Edna where is the podcast?!

Hmmm...it was either KWSN or 99.1 FM...checking on their sites, but I'm not seeing anything. If I come across it anywhere, I'll drop a link here.

southcliffbison
03-27-2016, 10:59 PM
Fun couple of seasons for the Vikes. Two years ago we were finishing up a less-than-satisfying season that ended in a 16-14 record. Since then, we've gone 65-5. Pretty solid turnaround by these players, Coach Billeter and his staff, and the rest of the Augustana community involved with the men's basketball program. All with a roster featuring no D1 or JuCo transfers. Kind of incredible.

We're losing a great group of seniors, but the future is still very bright. Fun time to be a Viking.

I watched the Vikings play a couple of times in SF during the regular season and caught the NSIC tourney final at the Pentagon (was in Tucson during the regional)......really enjoyable and fun team to watch with their up tempo play. Amazing win without Jansen in the semis !!

ndsubison1
03-27-2016, 11:40 PM
They also beat Iowa

Christopher Moen
03-28-2016, 05:59 AM
They also beat Iowa

#buttexhibitiongame!!!

Bison03
03-29-2016, 03:49 AM
Augustana's twitter feed tweeted this on Sunday as well:

Hey @NDSUathletics, what do you say we go in together and rename Frisco #DakotaTitleTown?

RedRiver
03-31-2016, 03:12 PM
Good for Texas Tommy! In his Bison days he had players from all over the country and from DI transfers, JC's, everywhere and anywhere. I believe his Auggie team was all high school recruits.

MrAugustana
03-31-2016, 04:40 PM
Good for Texas Tommy! In his Bison days he had players from all over the country and from DI transfers, JC's, everywhere and anywhere. I believe his Auggie team was all high school recruits.

Yes, no transfers (JUCO or D1) on this year's Augie squad. Very talented and tight-knit group. You could tell how close they all were by the way they played. Really fun team.

MrAugustana
03-31-2016, 04:52 PM
Also, for those interested, Billeter was just recently named NABC Division II Men's Basketball Coach of the Year: http://goaugie.com/news/2016/3/31/mens-basketball-billeter-named-national-coach-of-the-year-by-the-nabc.aspx

MNLonghorn10
03-31-2016, 05:08 PM
Yes, no transfers (JUCO or D1) on this year's Augie squad. Very talented and tight-knit group. You could tell how close they all were by the way they played. Really fun team.

thats awesome. Just glanced at your roster to see how many Minnesota kids you have, and I see 5...and a handful of international students. how did that all work out? Qatar, Australia and England?

MrAugustana
03-31-2016, 05:19 PM
thats awesome. Just glanced at your roster to see how many Minnesota kids you have, and I see 5...and a handful of international students. how did that all work out? Qatar, Australia and England?

From what I understand, former assistant coach Jeff Trumbauer works basketball camps overseas in the summer and came across several of these guys as prospects. A few have already become very good players for us. Others will take a little time but should be impact players by the end of their careers.

Trumbauer became the head coach at Black Hills State a few years ago, so I'm not sure if that overseas pipeline is as open/strong these days, but I suppose it's not out of the question we could bring in more.