tjbison
03-23-2016, 02:15 PM
http://www.startribune.com/notre-dame-to-join-big-ten-in-hockey/373137251/

and Arizona St according to a friend of mine from Phoenix

mebisonII
03-23-2016, 02:17 PM
and Arizona St according to a friend of mine from Phoenix

Yeah, I saw that mentioned here, too:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/big-ten/2016/3/22/11286622/report-notre-dame-to-big-ten-in-2017-2018-hockey

ByeSonBusiness
03-23-2016, 02:21 PM
But the NCHC is the pinnacle of what all hockey should be! ;)

There was some bitching and moaning among some ND hockey fans about being in Hockey East. This will let them play fellow big-time schools and not have to go to Massachusetts to do it.

RedRiver
03-23-2016, 02:37 PM

Sounds like UND fans are the only ones that care about conference hockey tournaments.

"Where the NCHC Frozen Faceoff still struggles is with fan support, though compared to the tournament across the river held by the Big Ten Conference, you would think the NCHC was thriving.

The truth about the NCHC Frozen Faceoff is if not for the North Dakota fans, Target Center would have been as empty as Xcel was this weekend. St. Cloud State and UMD only brought a modest amount of fans, if that. Neither night sold out the 17,500-seat Target Center and attendance was actually down two percent this year compared to last year's tournament which featured Denver, UND, SCSU and Miami (Ohio)."

http://www.inforum.com/sports/3991941-nchc-doing-all-right-things-frozen-faceoff-except-drawing-non-north-dakota-fans

bisonaudit
03-23-2016, 02:40 PM
Wow. I'm stunned that Notre Dame would join the BIG in any sport. Lots of historical animosity there.

ByeSonBusiness
03-23-2016, 02:48 PM
Wow. I'm stunned that Notre Dame would join the BIG in any sport. Lots of historical animosity there.

I was/am/will continue to be surprised as well. Fielding Yost has a small penis.

ndsubison1
03-23-2016, 06:29 PM
Sounds like UND fans are the only ones that care about conference hockey tournaments.

"Where the NCHC Frozen Faceoff still struggles is with fan support, though compared to the tournament across the river held by the Big Ten Conference, you would think the NCHC was thriving.

The truth about the NCHC Frozen Faceoff is if not for the North Dakota fans, Target Center would have been as empty as Xcel was this weekend. St. Cloud State and UMD only brought a modest amount of fans, if that. Neither night sold out the 17,500-seat Target Center and attendance was actually down two percent this year compared to last year's tournament which featured Denver, UND, SCSU and Miami (Ohio)."

http://www.inforum.com/sports/3991941-nchc-doing-all-right-things-frozen-faceoff-except-drawing-non-north-dakota-fans

This is funny. Just proves how pretty much UND and only a few other schools truly care about college hockey. I'd put it behind college baseball and maybe even college lacrosse.

tjbison
03-23-2016, 06:37 PM
This is funny. Just proves how pretty much UND and only a few other schools truly care about college hockey. I'd put it behind college baseball and maybe even college lacrosse.

lacrosse is huge out east and in the NE

Grizzled
03-23-2016, 07:51 PM

Its like the FCS championship game in Frisco if the Bison don't make it or the Summit tournament in Sioux Falls.

NorthernBison
03-23-2016, 08:56 PM
Its like the FCS championship game in Frisco if the Bison don't make it or the Summit tournament in Sioux Falls.

True. You're missing the point as it relates to how the El Forko Grande rubes view the game's attraction.

FCS football is JV but hockey is the "highest level". The age old debate.

onbison09
03-24-2016, 01:22 AM

There was some bitching and moaning among some ND hockey fans about being in Hockey East. This will let them play fellow big-time schools and not have to go to Massachusetts to do it.
Notre Dame is meh for hockey. The NCHC is the pinnacle IMO, but hockey was really hurt by the Big 10

BisonAccountant44
03-24-2016, 01:27 AM
Notre Dame is meh for hockey. The NCHC is the pinnacle IMO, but hockey was really hurt by the Big 10
What is the NCHC? No purple

onbison09
03-24-2016, 01:29 AM
What is the NCHC? No purple
National College Hockey Conference. UND's conference. Mostly made up of old WCHA schools

NorthernBison
03-24-2016, 01:30 AM

Depends on whether you're talking about hockey or name recognition.

I believe the NCHC is the best hockey conference. It happens to be made up of schools nobody knows.

The B1G isn't great right now but everybody in America recognizes the names of the schools.

onbison09
03-24-2016, 01:31 AM
Depends on whether you're talking about hockey or name recognition.

I believe the NCHC is the best hockey conference. It happens to be made up of schools nobody knows.

The B1G isn't great right now but everybody in America recognizes the names of the schools.
Yeah, but look at the interest outside of Penn State. Way down. Forced rivalries don't make for good attendance.

BisonAccountant44
03-24-2016, 01:31 AM
National College Hockey Conference. UND's conference. Mostly made up of old WCHA schools
The WCHA is no more? I guess I should put that in the TIL thread.

MAKBison
03-24-2016, 01:39 AM

Whats WCHA?

NorthernBison
03-24-2016, 01:46 AM
Yeah, but look at the interest outside of Penn State. Way down. Forced rivalries don't make for good attendance.

Give it time. Things change.

The future relevance of the college game demands contribution from the big name schools.

Hammersmith
03-24-2016, 02:39 AM
The WCHA is no more? I guess I should put that in the TIL thread.

It's still around, but now it's made up of the dregs of the old WCHA plus the CCHA leftovers. Pretty much everyone that the B1G and NCHC didn't want.

NDSU1980
03-24-2016, 03:06 AM
Women's Collegiate Hockey Association. or something.

Actually it's Western Collegiate Hockey Association, but they probably all play like women. Only a few schools left I think. UN_ thought they would be smart and move the bigger names to NCHCl

onbison09
03-24-2016, 12:25 PM
Actually it's Western Collegiate Hockey Association, but they probably all play like women. Only a few schools left I think. UN_ thought they would be smart and move the bigger names to NCHCl
Actually, there is still the WCHA for women. Gophers just won the national title with WCHA patches on their sweaters

bisonaudit
03-24-2016, 01:22 PM
Actually, there is still the WCHA for women. Gophers just won the national title with WCHA patches on their sweaters

As soon as a couple more BIG schools add women's teams that arrangement will end. Right now there are only 4.

ByeSonBusiness
03-24-2016, 06:37 PM

Top 15 in attendance. Average 98% capacity. Not some super elite team but they are one of THE names in collegiate sports. Big 10 will end up being the best conference within 5-10 years if they want to be.

bisonmike2
03-24-2016, 08:11 PM
Average attendance will be increased by dozens of people.

runtheoption
03-24-2016, 09:02 PM
Top 15 in attendance. Average 98% capacity.4900/night. Word.

ByeSonBusiness
03-24-2016, 09:11 PM
4900/night. Word.

Not bad considering they have a pretty good basketball team as well.

Perhaps hockey is from the Notre Dame hipster crowd. I think they have a top notch fencing team as well that I could see the weirdos going to watch.

onbison09
03-25-2016, 01:54 AM
Top 15 in attendance. Average 98% capacity. Not some super elite team but they are one of THE names in collegiate sports. Big 10 will end up being the best conference within 5-10 years if they want to be.
Michigan State is ass, Ohio State is ass, Wisconsin will probably rebound, but they're been ass. 2 out of the 6 teams are ass. And the "good" teams are meh.

NorthernBison
03-25-2016, 02:07 AM
Michigan State is ass, Ohio State is ass, Wisconsin will probably rebound, but they're been ass. 2 out of the 6 teams are ass. And the "good" teams are meh.

Western Michigan and Colorado College are ass. Miami and Omaha weren't much to brag about either. Every conference has dogs.

onbison09
03-25-2016, 02:17 AM
Western Michigan and Colorado College are ass. Miami and Omaha weren't much to brag about either. Every conference has dogs.
Fair enough. Top 4 are pretty good though.

NorthernBison
03-25-2016, 02:35 AM
Fair enough. Top 4 are pretty good though.

Can't argue with that.

Christopher Moen
03-27-2016, 02:58 AM
True. You're missing the point as it relates to how the El Forko Grande rubes view the game's attraction.

FCS football is JV but hockey is the "highest level". The age old debate.

"Highest Level" isn't debatable in my opinion. NCAA DI Hockey has about 60 teams, which are mainly DII and DIII schools. College hockey also has a low correlation of athletes going straight from college to the NHL compared to college football and the NFL. Lastly, it's the fourth ranked developmental league for the NHL (AHL is #1).

To me, bragging about being the best in college hockey while calling FCS "JV" is about as stupid as thumping one's chest for being the "brainiac" in a village of idiots.

56BISON73
03-27-2016, 03:04 AM
"Highest Level" isn't debatable in my opinion. NCAA DI Hockey has about 60 teams, which are mainly DII and DIII schools. College hockey also has a low correlation of athletes going straight from college to the NHL compared to college football and the NFL. Lastly, it's the fourth ranked developmental league for the NHL (AHL is #1).

To me, bragging about being the best in college hockey while calling FCS "JV" is about as stupid as thumping one's chest for being the "brainiac" in a village of idiots.

Thats a good bingo! We have a winner!!!!

NorthernBison
03-27-2016, 03:10 AM

I hope you realize I was pointing out their way of thinking and that I don't share that opinion.

One look at the teams in the college hockey brackets is all you need to know about how much of a niche sport it is.

Christopher Moen
03-27-2016, 03:30 AM
I hope you realize I was pointing out their way of thinking and that I don't share that opinion.

One look at the teams in the college hockey brackets is all you need to know about how much of a niche sport it is.

Nope, I was agreeing with you. I was just adding my opinion to the "debate" that really shouldn't be debated.

In regards to niche sports, outside of football and men's basketball, all collegiate sports are, including my sport of wrestling.

unbison
03-27-2016, 04:04 AM
Nope, I was agreeing with you. I was just adding my opinion to the "debate" that really shouldn't be debated.

In regards to niche sports, outside of football and men's basketball, all collegiate sports are, including my sport of wrestling.
I'm not sure you can classify baseball a niche sport or soccer for that matter soccer maybe a niche sport here in North Dakota and that's about it

Christopher Moen
03-27-2016, 04:09 AM
I'm not sure you can classify baseball a niche sport or soccer for that matter soccer maybe a niche sport here in North Dakota and that's about it

At the NCAA level, yes they are. Only two sports make money and that's why they are consider major programs and covered ad nauseam by every major network.

unbison
03-27-2016, 04:14 AM
Umm yeah ok
If making money is your decision maker men's hockey would not be a niche sport

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christopher Moen
03-27-2016, 05:47 AM
Umm yeah ok

If hockey was a money maker, then every major school would field a team. However, it doesn't and why so few major schools care to bother unless some rich booster gives them an incentive to do so.

DIBISON
03-27-2016, 06:17 AM
If hockey was a money maker, then every major school would field a team. However, it doesn't and why so few major schools care to bother unless some rich booster gives them an incentive to do so.

Yes, F'n hawks and others play at the highest level of college hockey but that doesn't mean it is the highest level of DI athletics. As you state it always doen't mean that there is fan support or interest in the highest level of a DI sport.

How may states would have college hockey as their #1 sport? Maybe Vermont? It sure wouldn't be ND with Bison football or Minnesota with Gophers football or basketball even though they are terrible. What about attendance, give credit to the F'n hawks leading the nation at 11,000+ a game but that pales in comparison even to FCS football. College hockey regional championships average anywhere from 3,000 to 5,000+. The Frozen Four TV ratings are terrible, heck the Bison FCS football 2014 quarterfinal game outdrew all 3 Frozen Four games. Don't forget that there are over 350 DI athletic programs and less than 10% of those programs have college hockey.

The more the facts are considered, yes UND is at the highest level of college hockey, but nationally nobody cares about college hockey as it is a regional college sport.

Bottom line, very few care or follow.

NorthernBison
03-27-2016, 10:05 AM
Umm yeah ok

I agree with that.

I think niche sports are better defined by how many schools participate, how they are spread out, and where they tend to fit into the rest of NCAA athletics.

Hockey has 60 programs that are fairly spread out but many of them are DII and even DIII schools in other sports. At best, it meets one of my tests. And that is arguable.

I didn't take time to look it up but crew is probably a niche.

Maybe Lacrosse although it has possibly grown lately.

El_Chapo
03-27-2016, 02:17 PM
It's niche... Maybe 1% crew in the USA. That's niche. Period.

To make final four of 59teams = meh when they are ferris st quinniac RIT...and other d3 schools

westnodak93bison
03-31-2016, 09:16 AM

What is Quinnipiac? Is it a federal prison in Quebec?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

ByeSonBusiness
03-31-2016, 12:17 PM
Yes, F'n hawks and others play at the highest level of college hockey but that doesn't mean it is the highest level of DI athletics. As you state it always doen't mean that there is fan support or interest in the highest level of a DI sport.

How may states would have college hockey as their #1 sport? Maybe Vermont? It sure wouldn't be ND with Bison football or Minnesota with Gophers football or basketball even though they are terrible. What about attendance, give credit to the F'n hawks leading the nation at 11,000+ a game but that pales in comparison even to FCS football. College hockey regional championships average anywhere from 3,000 to 5,000+. The Frozen Four TV ratings are terrible, heck the Bison FCS football 2014 quarterfinal game outdrew all 3 Frozen Four games. Don't forget that there are over 350 DI athletic programs and less than 10% of those programs have college hockey.

The more the facts are considered, yes UND is at the highest level of college hockey, but nationally nobody cares about college hockey as it is a regional college sport.

Bottom line, very few care or follow.

To be fair, can't rip on UND for attendance and say it doesn't compare to FCS football... Quite frankly, football stadiums are bigger than hockey ones. Even NHL/NBA arenas are what, 20k at most?

Bisonguy
03-31-2016, 07:48 PM
I agree with that.

I think niche sports are better defined by how many schools participate, how they are spread out, and where they tend to fit into the rest of NCAA athletics.

Hockey has 60 programs that are fairly spread out but many of them are DII and even DIII schools in other sports. At best, it meets one of my tests. And that is arguable.

I didn't take time to look it up but crew is probably a niche.

Maybe Lacrosse although it has possibly grown lately.

There are more DI women's rowing teams (88) than men's hockey teams (60). There are also more men's lacrosse teams (68) and women's field hockey 79. I would consider them all niche sports.

ByeSonBusiness
03-31-2016, 08:09 PM
There are more DI women's rowing teams (88) than men's hockey teams (60). There are also more men's lacrosse teams (68) and women's field hockey 79. I would consider them all niche sports.

The Winklevoss twins disagree with your opinion on rowing.

tony
04-01-2016, 01:38 PM
April Fool's thread title change.

roadwarrior
04-01-2016, 03:49 PM
LOL - I pretty much ignore any thread with "hockey" in the title. Didn't even notice the change.