PDA

View Full Version : Mizzou losing $32 million to "unrest", KU at the tipping point as well.

Bison 4 Life
03-11-2016, 12:06 AM
There are a LOT of things going on here in Missouri and Kansas. There have been several incidents of racial unrest starting last Fall and culminating in severe budget concerns at Missouri.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article65018467.html

If you haven't seen what has happened there, it's quite a story.

Meanwhile here at Kansas, we have our own student uprising. I have been reticent to mention my own part in this but my wife was caught in this net.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/03/pc-hysteria-claims-another-professor.html

Just last night, the KU student senate voted to fund a completely separate Multicultural Student Government that might rise to the same power as themselves, it's unclear. Some protesters from MU came over and threatened to "disrupt things" if their demands weren't met.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2016/mar/09/student-senate-votes-fund-new-multicultural-studen/?kutoday

I will say now that this is an interesting discussion and can absolutely be had without devolving into politics or personal attacks. It's some crazy stuff.

IzzyFlexion
03-11-2016, 02:44 PM
Trying to bait that fuzzy hat guy into posting for the first time in months..............................genius!!

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt4/bobjohnson_03/Tailgating%202011/UNI%20vs%20NDSU/DSC_2935.jpg

-ripping this off from Rev. Bob's PhotoBucket. I'm sure that cheap bastard with "red x" this effer within minutes........but...........slicky baby in sanctioned Bison gear and dj with a machete??!!??!!.................IALTO!

Bison 4 Life
03-11-2016, 04:09 PM
There are several discussions going on the Mizzou and KU boards about this stuff, I just wonder how much it's getting out to the rest of the world. People from all over the country have messaged my wife about her situation. I know the U of M has had their own campus protesters.

Seems like they want to revive 1965 all over again.

BisonAccountant44
03-11-2016, 06:54 PM
There are several discussions going on the Mizzou and KU boards about this stuff, I just wonder how much it's getting out to the rest of the world. People from all over the country have messaged my wife about her situation. I know the U of M has had their own campus protesters.

Seems like they want to revive 1965 all over again.

Are you saying your wife the COMM professeor?

I haven't heard any reference to it on the news here. Yesterday I did hear some of the ludacris demands that a group at Western Washington University are making though.

This type of stuff almost makes me hope my kids don't go to college. There is no telling how this will escalate in the next 20 years.

Bison 4 Life
03-11-2016, 06:56 PM

I haven't heard any reference to it on the news here. Yesterday I did hear some of the ludacris demands that a group at Western Washington University are making though.

This type of stuff almost makes me hope my kids don't go to college. There is no telling how this will escalate in the next 20 years.

yeah, unfortunately I'm stuck in the middle of this whole thing.

It's happening everywhere. I think they saw how effective it was at Mizzou and just went with it. Kids need attention these days and this is a great way to get it. Only takes a couple people with an ax to grind to get everything cooking.

Bison bison
03-11-2016, 07:15 PM
Best of luck to you and your wife.

What happened to her flies in the face of common sense and academic freedom. She deserves better treatment as a person, an employee, and a scholar.

The University should have protected her.

I'm very concerned that this is going to spread across the country.

bisonaudit
03-11-2016, 07:44 PM
If people can't be judged by the content of their character their words should at least be judged in context.

bri-dog
03-11-2016, 08:01 PM

I haven't heard any reference to it on the news here. Yesterday I did hear some of the ludacris ludicrous demands that a group at Western Washington University are making though.

Goddamn pop culture is going to ruin everybody's spelling...

http://mediafiles.cineplex.com/Blog/English/400x300/TroubleWiththecurve.jpg

BisonAccountant44
03-11-2016, 08:15 PM
That sucks. Sorry you're having to go through this.

The first thing that popped into my head when I read the article you posted is I wonder what these kids thought of the F. Lee Bailey and Mark Ferman scene Tuesday in the people vs. OJ. Their heads must have exploded.

These social justice warriors and their it's 100% my way or the highway, if I don't like one statement you made I'll demand that you're immediately fired, free speech means I should never be offended attitude need to get over themselves and grow up. Their hearts are originating in the right place, and if they applied their energy correctly they could bring on some significant change, but things like this can only hurt their cause.

BisonAccountant44
03-11-2016, 08:18 PM
Goddamn pop culture is going to ruin everybody's spelling...

http://mediafiles.cineplex.com/Blog/English/400x300/TroubleWiththecurve.jpg

How do you know that an appearance by Ludacris wasn't one of their demands?

bri-dog
03-11-2016, 08:20 PM
How do you know that an appearance by Ludacris wasn't one of their demands?

Well, use your uppercase letters then, dammit! :biggrin: :duel:

Bison 4 Life
03-11-2016, 09:34 PM

The first thing that popped into my head when I read the article you posted is I wonder what these kids thought of the F. Lee Bailey and Mark Ferman scene Tuesday in the people vs. OJ. Their heads must have exploded.

These social justice warriors and their it's 100% my way or the highway, if I don't like one statement you made I'll demand that you're immediately fired, free speech means I should never be offended attitude need to get over themselves and grow up. Their hearts are originating in the right place, and if they applied their energy correctly they could bring on some significant change, but things like this can only hurt their cause.

Well the problem is my wife isn't an isolated incident. The MU protesters got the President to resign. Just last week they held a protest to get a dean to resign at KU. The administrations seem content to capitulate to all these demands. I'm not sure, however, how all the old people with money are going to think about this the next time the schools come hat in hand for donations. At least 2 people have considered withholding donations because of our situation.

MU is getting the backlash from all this. I'll bet MoState is getting a bump in enrollment.

Mr Meaty
03-11-2016, 09:57 PM
The "Time Out" generation is getting to college now. They will hold their breath if they do not get their way. They are spoiled little brats that have never been told No in their lives. Here is a ribbon or trophy for just showing up and you are fantastic. This is what we have done to them. They are a product of their upbringing. No I am not advocating beating your children either. Life is not fair and the sooner these kids figure it out the better.

And GET OFF MY GRASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bison 4 Life
03-11-2016, 10:00 PM
The "Time Out" generation is getting to college now. They will hold their breath if they do not get their way. They are spoiled little brats that have never been told No in their lives. Here is a ribbon or trophy for just showing up and you are fantastic. This is what we have done to them. They are a product of their upbringing. No I am not advocating beating your children either. Life is not fair and the sooner these kids figure it out the better.

And GET OFF MY GRASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only solace I can take in this is that my kids will be competing against these cream puffs someday. Guess who will be working for whom.

EC8CH
03-11-2016, 10:38 PM
This situation reminded me of the Circuits 2 professor I had at NDSU. A little background... typically engineering problems require multiple steps and equations to solve. Because of this you are almost always given partial credit even if you get the final answer wrong due to a calculation error along the way so long as you have demonstrated with your work that you understand the principals and concepts and how to apply the equations. This particular professor was not giving any partial credit regardless of the work that was shown. If the answer wasn't exactly right he gave zero credit. I didn't, but apparently some other students in the class must of complained about this and he must have been talked to. One day to begin the class he began chewing us out about how it didn't matter what our work showed if the final answer was wrong. I'll never forget that he told us, "you American students all think partial credit is a birth right". He was from India I believe.

Also while I was taking the final for this class, he came up to me during the test and accused me of not actually being in the class and never being in the classroom until that day. He made me show him my ID so that he could check up on me. Now this was particularly crazy because I don't believe I missed a single day of that class and sat in the same seat every day. I was also quite active in asking and answering questions during his lectures. The guy sitting next to me, who I didn't know, tried to stick up for me and tell him I sat in that seat every day, but he told him that it was none of his business.

Other than my assumption that someone complained about the partial credit, I'm not aware of anyone writing any letters or staging any protests to have this professor fired from NDSU for his comments even though you could tell many in the class didn't appreciate his condescending attitude and comments toward American students and our supposed unwarranted expectation of partial credit.

southcliffbison
03-11-2016, 10:54 PM
One thing that is certain........Dillon Radunz made the correct choice when he chose NDSU!!!

Gully
03-11-2016, 11:00 PM

I wouldn't assume all of their hearts are originating in the right place.

Gully
03-11-2016, 11:03 PM
The only solace I can take in this is that my kids will be competing against these cream puffs someday. Guess who will be working for whom.

Sadly, your kids will probably be working for them because they will be given preference because they are "disadvantaged". I've lost hope for our country. Never thought I would say that. I remember thinking not all that long ago that our $4 trillion debt was crazy and not sustainable. Now what is it, close to $20 trillion?

Bison bison
03-11-2016, 11:24 PM
If they work in corporate America possibly. But there will always be a real world where these people won't last a minute.

Bison"FANatic"
03-12-2016, 12:04 AM
Seriously how can the student government vote to give any group no matter if it is based on race, age, what major they are, the size of their head basically anything their own government. It sounds like it is time for the adults to step in and say enough is enough this is not how it is done. These are our bylaws and this is how you can be voted into the positions in Student Government. That KU student government and faculty leadership needs to stand up and get a spine. Sometimes life isn't fair, no matter if you are white, black, indigenous American, rich, poor, healthy, unhealthy, blond, brunette. The political correctness has gone to far in this country and I am sorry your wife is caught up in it and in a way in which she in no way should have. It is not right at all. I am going to call it as I see it though and from your previous thoughts and beliefs with posts on here and I am taking the jump that your wife has similar thoughts and beliefs I ask was she a person who before this pushed for more and more political correctness as it seems like she would have.

The race relations and race baiting in this country over the last 4 years has become ridiculous. It doesn't matter how someone is looking for equality it can not be just handed to whoever that group is, it has to be earned. The only way it will change is with the minority group not taking a poor is me approach and stepping up and earning it. Equality will never be reached by separating into separate governments or having separate rules for different people. I have white friends who came from poorer than shit families in the middle of what most would call no where that worked hard and "changed their stars". I also have black friends and colleagues who came from terribly poor families and neighborhoods that worked hard and "changed their stars". The common denominator is earning something by hard work. It is the only way it will last.

Bison 4 Life
03-12-2016, 12:31 AM
Seriously how can the student government vote to give any group no matter if it is based on race, age, what major they are, the size of their head basically anything their own government. It sounds like it is time for the adults to step in and say enough is enough this is not how it is done. These are our bylaws and this is how you can be voted into the positions in Student Government. That KU student government and faculty leadership needs to stand up and get a spine. Sometimes life isn't fair, no matter if you are white, black, indigenous American, rich, poor, healthy, unhealthy, blond, brunette. The political correctness has gone to far in this country and I am sorry your wife is caught up in it and in a way in which she in no way should have. It is not right at all. I am going to call it as I see it though and from your previous thoughts and beliefs with posts on here and I am taking the jump that your wife has similar thoughts and beliefs I ask was she a person who before this pushed for more and more political correctness as it seems like she would have.

The race relations and race baiting in this country over the last 4 years has become ridiculous. It doesn't matter how someone is looking for equality it can not be just handed to whoever that group is, it has to be earned. The only way it will change is with the minority group not taking a poor is me approach and stepping up and earning it. Equality will never be reached by separating into separate governments or having separate rules for different people. I have white friends who came from poorer than shit families in the middle of what most would call no where that worked hard and "changed their stars". I also have black friends and colleagues who came from terribly poor families and neighborhoods that worked hard and "changed their stars". The common denominator is earning something by hard work. It is the only way it will last.

My wife is a registered independent. In fact, she is almost apolitical. As a scientist who studies political communication she finds it's easier to avoid ideology at all costs. This is why I said earlier this whole thing transcends politics. Granted, she has become a bit of a conservative cause celebre but overall the emails we get come from all walks of life.

I hope this thing at Mizzou will make them realize that the lunatics cannot run the asylum.

Bison bison
03-12-2016, 01:08 AM
Well. She can probably get a job at Liberty!

ndsubison1
03-12-2016, 01:32 AM
One thing that is certain........Dillon Radunz made the correct choice when he chose NDSU!!!

Let's get the Feeney kid

Bison 4 Life
03-12-2016, 01:49 AM
Well. She can probably get a job at Liberty!

No, she will keep her job at Kansas. There isn't a legal way to get rid of her. She is in good standing in her tenure process and we expect this nonsense to end. :)

JMB
03-12-2016, 09:55 AM

I blame social media as it is easier for the nuts to find each other and convince themselves they are "outraged" and have a "movement". It also amplifies the noise, as a small group can get a lot of attention quickly. It's not just race, but all sorts of political issues on both si de s of the aisle.

Bison 4 Life
03-12-2016, 12:52 PM
A commenter at the KU board said it best. "It's always kids with majors that end in 'studies'"

You never see STEM kids going this.

ByeSonBusiness
03-12-2016, 01:35 PM
A commenter at the KU board said it best. "It's always kids with majors that end in 'studies'"

You never see STEM kids going this.

This will come off a bit harsh and extreme, but I don't actually know why those "studies" majors are even offered at state funded institutions.

Bison 4 Life
03-12-2016, 02:05 PM
This will come off a bit harsh and extreme, but I don't actually know why those "studies" majors are even offered at state funded institutions.

I'm torn about this one. My degree is in a "study". My wife teaches in a "studies". There is a genuine value to the social sciences. Unfortunately, they are also wildly undefined so you get research into some of the dumbest stuff.

Take a look at the recently fired Melissa Click from the University of Missouri. Her story is bananas, her CV is even crazier. A researcher is defined by their publications. https://communication.missouri.edu/sites/default/files/cv/click_cv_september_2013_for_web.pdf

bisonaudit
03-12-2016, 02:34 PM
I'm torn about this one. My degree is in a "study". My wife teaches in a "studies". There is a genuine value to the social sciences. Unfortunately, they are also wildly undefined so you get research into some of the dumbest stuff.

Take a look at the recently fired Melissa Click from the University of Missouri. Her story is bananas, her CV is even crazier. A researcher is defined by their publications. https://communication.missouri.edu/sites/default/files/cv/click_cv_september_2013_for_web.pdf

Seems to me if someone actually came up with a convincing explanation for the popularity of Twilight they'd really be on to something. If we could really understand why so many people like things that are so terrible that wouldn't just be a boon to the social sciences it would fundamentally change popular culture.

Studying that drivel for the greater good is Dirty Jobs level bullet taking.

ndsubison1
03-12-2016, 03:20 PM

Mine too :hide:

IndyBison
03-12-2016, 03:33 PM
If we could really understand why so many people like things that are so terrible that wouldn't just be a boon to the social sciences it would fundamentally change popular culture.

Certain presidential candidates for example!

bisonaudit
03-12-2016, 03:42 PM
Certain presidential candidates for example!

The very fact that people associate campaigning for the most important political position in the world with popular culture speaks volumes about where we're at as a society.

Hansel
03-12-2016, 04:36 PM

The MU Faculty who wrote a letter in support of Click were almost all social sciences/english etc

http://www.themaneater.com/media/2016/0105/attached/ClickLetterJan5.pdf

56BISON73
03-12-2016, 05:01 PM
This festering boil has been in the works for some time now. IMO the PC-extreme liberal agenda in academia has now come home to roost and its biting the asses of their own and infecting society as a whole. You cant go a day without somebody screaming they are offended by something.

Mr Meaty
03-12-2016, 06:16 PM
This festering boil has been in the works for some time now. IMO the PC-extreme liberal agenda in academia has now come home to roost and its biting the asses of their own and infecting society as a whole. You cant go a day without somebody screaming they are offended by something.

Preach it brother. 100% correct and 110% agree with you.

ByeSonBusiness
03-12-2016, 07:21 PM

Fortunately, I didn't have too many extreme left professors in school. Only one I can really recall being Looney was my Couples, Families, and Marriages professor.... But that was to be expected.

Disclaimer: I don't care if they are right or left, as long as they don't use their class as a propaganda course.

Bison 4 Life
03-12-2016, 08:16 PM
Fortunately, I didn't have too many extreme left professors in school. Only one I can really recall being Looney was my Couples, Families, and Marriages professor.... But that was to be expected.

Disclaimer: I don't care if they are right or left, as long as they don't use their class as a propaganda course.

Yeah, I don't see this as a political thing. It seems that if you are over 25, you have enough sense in your head to understand that most of this is bullshit. Granted, those who have only read headlines don't really get it but anyone who has taken a critical look at this or any other situation on campus sees that these kids are pretty dumb.

56BISON73
03-12-2016, 08:24 PM
Yeah, I don't see this as a political thing. It seems that if you are over 25, you have enough sense in your head to understand that most of this is bullshit. Granted, those who have only read headlines don't really get it but anyone who has taken a critical look at this or any other situation on campus sees that these kids are pretty dumb.

But the adults are the ones pissing down their collective legs and giving way to this bullshit. It is also very political as they are using PC to their advantage.

Bison 4 Life
03-12-2016, 09:03 PM
But the adults are the ones pissing down their collective legs and giving way to this bullshit. It is also very political as they are using PC to their advantage.

I don't doubt that's what they're doing on some level. I, however think a lot of this is trying to save their own asses since bodies drop whenever someone doesn't cave.

BTW, we are not caving.

badger04
03-12-2016, 10:45 PM
This happening at the University of Wisconsin. It is crazy. Here is an article about it.
http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/education/university/uw-system-regents-say-they-ll-hear-from-students-about/article_bcd5ca37-1cee-5d25-ad9b-25752b6f17f5.html

bisonaudit
03-12-2016, 11:08 PM
This happening at the University of Wisconsin. It is crazy. Here is an article about it.
http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/education/university/uw-system-regents-say-they-ll-hear-from-students-about/article_bcd5ca37-1cee-5d25-ad9b-25752b6f17f5.html

Seems fairly reasonable, actually.

runtheoption
03-12-2016, 11:22 PM

Seems fairly reasonable, actually.

Both of you need to do better than this. "It is crazy" and "seems fairly reasonable"....C'mon. Friggin explain what the heck you mean. You are both being way too vague.

Bison 4 Life
03-13-2016, 12:23 AM
Both of you need to do better than this. "It is crazy" and "seems fairly reasonable"....C'mon. Friggin explain what the heck you mean. You are both being way too vague.

It's the same bullshit everywhere. Some asshole says something racist to someone or pulls a dumb racist prank and the University or the system is at fault. Meanwhile the loudest people have had nothing done to them and are among some of the most privileged.

North Side
03-13-2016, 03:35 AM
When I see all this racism crap in Missouri. It just makes me glad to be living in the great state of North Dakota. Sometimes I forget how nice we have it.

1998braves64
03-13-2016, 05:39 AM
When I see all this racism crap in Missouri. It just makes me glad to be living in the great state of North Dakota. Sometimes I forget how nice we have it.

As a buddy of mine started who is not white, you guys don't have "racism problems" because you're all white! Does have a point as we're well over 90% white. Said that racism is alive and well here (Fargo) too though.

Rock
03-13-2016, 06:26 AM
As a buddy of mine started who is not white, you guys don't have "racism problems" because you're all white! Does have a point as we're well over 90% white. Said that racism is alive and well here (Fargo) too though.

Outgroup homogeneity bias is a difficult obstacle to overcome anywhere.

Bison Dan
03-13-2016, 01:22 PM
Define racism? It seems now that it means to disagree with a person of color. Or if a person of color fails it's someone's else's fault or racism. It gets old.

Bison 4 Life
03-13-2016, 01:38 PM
Define racism? It seems now that it means to disagree with a person of color. Or if a person of color fails it's someone's else's fault or racism. It gets old.

That's pretty much how that Multicultural Student Government got passed here, a bunch of protesters came from Missouri and shouted "privilege" whenever someone objected to it.

JMB
03-13-2016, 01:42 PM

My gut feeling is that the USA is much more racist than I think it is, and much less than the Black Lives Matter folks believe. Personally. I think economic class is a bigger issue now (in terms of the justice system) than race.

To be honest, all groups do this. Blacks say police pick on them. For Conservatives, it's the liberal media. For Bison Football fans it's playoff committees (in D2 and FCS). The list goes on and on. As I said before, I think it's now really, really easy for people who feel that way to find each other due to the internet.

So in summary, it's Tony's fault for creating Bisonville.

Bison Dan
03-13-2016, 02:26 PM
My gut feeling is that the USA is much more racist than I think it is, and much less than the Black Lives Matter folks believe. Personally. I think economic class is a bigger issue now (in terms of the justice system) than race.

To be honest, all groups do this. Blacks say police pick on them. For Conservatives, it's the liberal media. For Bison Football fans it's playoff committees (in D2 and FCS). The list goes on and on. As I said before, I think it's now really, really easy for people who feel that way to find each other due to the internet.

So in summary, it's Tony's fault for creating Bisonville.Ask a Twin Cities police officer what % of trouble (minorities) they incur during their shift and see what they say. If you don't do the crime you won't do the dime. Went fishing with a couple of them on a charter and they can't wait to retire.

Bison 4 Life
03-13-2016, 02:33 PM
Of course I've been knee deep in this crap for 4 months now but I just can't understand what the big deal is. Go to college, get an education THEN try to change the world. These semi professional students are part of the problem.

It's not necessarily a minority thing either, it's a "give me attention" thing. Out of the 11 people that signed that open letter about my wife, 9 of them were white.

Bison bison
03-13-2016, 04:33 PM
Dude.

Why wait until you're done with college?

These people are changing the world now!

Vet70
03-13-2016, 05:21 PM
Get ready for it people---now being developed out of the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences Dean's Office, a course which includes students picking a "moral problem" and then solving it--and there is no purple.

bisonaudit
03-14-2016, 12:08 AM
Get ready for it people---now being developed out of the College of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences Dean's Office, a course which includes students picking a "moral problem" and then solving it--and there is no purple.

The correct response to this is. "No one solves a moral problem for someone else."

Vet70
03-14-2016, 12:13 AM
The correct response to this is. "No one solves a moral problem for someone else."

Maybe, but you would get an F. It obviously doesn't fit the agenda.

Bison 4 Life
03-14-2016, 01:27 AM
This actually raises an interesting dynamic. The class my wife was teaching was one in which students were learning teaching practices as they were all Graduate Teaching Assistants.

What happens when one of these social justice warriors is teaching public speaking and some redneck from Dodge City gives a speech about same sex marriage or Christianity. Are they going to give that kid an F because he offended them?

Vet70
03-14-2016, 01:37 AM
This actually raises an interesting dynamic. The class my wife was teaching was one in which students were learning teaching practices as they were all Graduate Teaching Assistants.

What happens when one of these social justice warriors is teaching public speaking and some redneck from Dodge City gives a speech about same sex marriage or Christianity. Are they going to give that kid an F because he offended them?

It depends on who the social warrior is and if they can separate out their role as teachers from personal beliefs. I taught Political Science for many years and was always told by my students that they could not tell what my personal views were.

Bison 4 Life
03-14-2016, 01:50 AM
It depends on who the redneck is and if they can separate out their role as teachers from personal beliefs. I taught Political Science for many years and was always told by my students that they could not tell what my personal views were.

Do you honestly think these kids can separate their personal beliefs or activism from their "job"?

Vet70
03-14-2016, 02:00 AM
OTE=Bison 4 Life;1109786]Do you honestly think these kids can separate their personal beliefs or activism from their "job"?[/QUOTE]

I had to change the first part of my post from redneck to social warrior---it is getting close to my bedtime. To answer your question, I think that they have to be taught, and as with all teaching sometimes the lesson doesn't take. And social warriors come from both sides of the political spectrum.

Bison 4 Life
03-14-2016, 02:08 AM
OTE=Bison 4 Life;1109786]Do you honestly think these kids can separate their personal beliefs or activism from their "job"?

I had to change the first part of my post from redneck to social warrior---it is getting close to my bedtime. To answer your question, I think that they have to be taught, and as with all teaching sometimes the lesson doesn't take. And social warriors come from both sides of the political spectrum.[/QUOTE]

I agree but if someone gives a speech that contains "microaggressions" or something slightly sexist, racist, ableist, uses gender specific pronouns, or "you guys". That will very easily trigger one of these little snowflakes.

Like I said before, the schools are enabling them. It's their shit show.

runtheoption
03-14-2016, 02:08 PM
It depends on who the social warrior is and if they can separate out their role as teachers from personal beliefs. I taught Political Science for many years and was always told by my students that they could not tell what my personal views were.

As one of your former students, I can tell the whole board this is true. We would even talk about it outside of class. Opinions varied wildly, and could change from one day to the next depending on 1 particular line of questions you may have fired at the class that day. So, you were doing things right!

bisonp
03-15-2016, 03:59 PM
As one of your former students, I can tell the whole board this is true. We would even talk about it outside of class. Opinions varied wildly, and could change from one day to the next depending on 1 particular line of questions you may have fired at the class that day. So, you were doing things right!

That kind of class taught in that way should be required in high school. Partisan politics have got to be at an all time low right now, it's a big pissing contest where people refuse to acknowledge anything of merit the other side may have and have stopped thinking for themselves.

Bison bison
03-15-2016, 04:48 PM
The problem is that few people can have an adult conversation about anything that is divisive.

Bison 4 Life
03-15-2016, 06:04 PM
Good thing he's not running for reelection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVZVCbW63lc

Bison 4 Life
03-18-2016, 10:01 PM
After 4 long months, the investigation concluded with a complete exoneration of my wife.

Insufficient evidence to support any complaint. We might not be on the road to perdition after all.

Bison Gal
03-18-2016, 10:37 PM
After 4 long months, the investigation concluded with a complete exoneration of my wife.

Insufficient evidence to support any complaint. We might not be on the road to perdition after all.

Glad to hear that. I'm sure a huge relief for you and your family.

tony
03-19-2016, 12:48 AM

Congrats! It'd have been nice to have a little stronger wording than "insufficient evidence", but at least it's behind you now.

Seemed totally ridiculous to me.

Bison 4 Life
03-19-2016, 03:04 AM
Congrats! It'd have been nice to have a little stronger wording than "insufficient evidence", but at least it's behind you now.

Seemed totally ridiculous to me.

yeah, that unfortunately is the standard of proof they use, preponderance of the evidence so that is the wording. In other words, total exoneration.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2016/mar/18/ku-exonerates-professor-who-used-n-word-class/

perthbison
03-19-2016, 04:47 AM
yeah, that unfortunately is the standard of proof they use, preponderance of the evidence so that is the wording. In other words, total exoneration.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2016/mar/18/ku-exonerates-professor-who-used-n-word-class/

I agree with Tony on the soft wording but at least the end result is correct.

westnodak93bison
03-19-2016, 01:32 PM
There are a LOT of things going on here in Missouri and Kansas. There have been several incidents of racial unrest starting last Fall and culminating in severe budget concerns at Missouri.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics-government/article65018467.html

If you haven't seen what has happened there, it's quite a story.

Meanwhile here at Kansas, we have our own student uprising. I have been reticent to mention my own part in this but my wife was caught in this net.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/03/pc-hysteria-claims-another-professor.html

Just last night, the KU student senate voted to fund a completely separate Multicultural Student Government that might rise to the same power as themselves, it's unclear. Some protesters from MU came over and threatened to "disrupt things" if their demands weren't met.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2016/mar/09/student-senate-votes-fund-new-multicultural-studen/?kutoday

I will say now that this is an interesting discussion and can absolutely be had without devolving into politics or personal attacks. It's some crazy stuff.
So they now want a separate but equal student government? Wow

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Bison 4 Life
03-19-2016, 01:56 PM

The irony is not lost on this as we are 24 short miles from Topeka.

JMB
03-19-2016, 05:22 PM

Great News! Nice to know some level of sanity prevailed.

Vet70
03-19-2016, 11:43 PM

Separate but equal---back to the future.

CAS4127
03-20-2016, 05:53 PM
There's an article in Foolem about B4L's wife's issue. She apparently used the N word in a graduate communications class in which her students asked that there be a discussion on race issues. Apparently the N-word had been used recently on campus as graffiti. Some (think black) students complained about her use of the N-word in that context. Baffling to me.

One of the students, who is black, complained as follows:

"That word has a lot of baggage, especially coming from people who are not from the population it was designed to segregate, which is white people."

Wow, just read that and tell me this black student isn't racist. Also, note the hint that it's not as bad a word when blacks use it.

UN-effing-real. Double standards have become the norm over the last 5-8 years.

Sent from my iPhone.

56BISON73
03-20-2016, 06:07 PM
There's an article in Foolem about B4L's wife's issue. She apparently used the N word in a graduate communications class in which her students asked that there be a discussion on race issues. Apparently the N-word had been used recently on campus as graffiti. Some (think black) students complained about her use of the N-word in that context. Baffling to me.

"That word has a lot of baggage, especially coming from people who are not from the population it was designed to segregate, which is white people."

Wow, just read that and tell me this black student isn't racist. Also, note the hint that it's not as bad a word when blacks use it.

Sent from my iPhone.

It was bullshit as they took the N word out of context in how it was used in a teaching classroom exercise. BUT I find it amusing when the liberal PC ideology comes back to bite ones own ass.

BlueBisonRock
03-20-2016, 07:00 PM
This article from the Star Tribune (http://www.startribune.com/the-school-safety-debate-mollycoddle-no-more/372619741/) plays to a similar theme. There have been a number of student fighting issues (including fighting with teachers) over the last few months / years that are being called out as a direct result from a missed focus on 'equality'. It was written by a conservative writer, but has gained a lot of support from the liberal side of the fence. To me, the article and the comments are well worth the time to read and understand.

Bison 4 Life
03-20-2016, 07:27 PM

Sent from my iPhone.

She's a fucking lunatic. She's assumed a leadership position in the student activist group on campus. She organized this group of students because she has a personal ax to grind from some disagreement last fall with my wife.

In her personal statement that she presented to my wife she said the word about 10 times.

CAS4127
03-20-2016, 07:35 PM
She's a fucking lunatic. She's assumed a leadership position in the student activist group on campus. She organized this group of students because she has a personal ax to grind from some disagreement last fall with my wife.

In her personal statement that she presented to my wife she said the word about 10 times.

Of course she did, and that's ok ... you know ... because she's black; and stupid it appears.

Sent from my iPhone.

Bison 4 Life
03-20-2016, 08:04 PM
Of course she did, and that's ok ... you know ... because she's black; and stupid it appears.

Sent from my iPhone.

So far the administration has backed down at every turn. She's a tall, larger woman and is physically imposing so if she comes within 3 feet of my wife, the police will be called. Book it.

CAS4127
03-20-2016, 08:06 PM
So far the administration has backed down at every turn. She's a tall, larger woman with a big mouth, and is physically imposing so if she comes within 3 feet of my wife, the police will be called. Book it.

FYPFY.

Sent from my iPhone.

Bison 4 Life
03-20-2016, 08:20 PM
FYPFY.

Sent from my iPhone.

This is her screaming at the provost a few months ago. She is no shrinking violet. https://twitter.com/arobinsonfilm/status/674683039876694016

CAS4127
03-20-2016, 08:29 PM
This is her screaming at the provost a few months ago. She is no shrinking violet. https://twitter.com/arobinsonfilm/status/674683039876694016

Oh boy!!! It's worse than I thought.

Sent from my iPhone.

Bison 4 Life
05-19-2016, 06:28 PM
Welp.

http://reason.com/blog/2016/05/18/professor-run-out-of-classroom-for-offen

In the end, the administration had enough tricks up their sleeve to get the job done. All is not lost. I got a new job that pays way more than my old one and she's eventually going to be out of that situation. I can move out of this hippie hell and to a nice suburb of Kansas City. Plus, I'll be almost an hour closer to Fargo, so win/win.

I feel bad for those that are stuck in that situation, it's not going to get any better.

ByeSonBusiness
05-19-2016, 06:44 PM
Welp.

In the end, the administration had enough tricks up their sleeve to get the job done. All is not lost. I got a new job that pays way more than my old one and she's eventually going to be out of that situation. I can move out of this hippie hell and to a nice suburb of Kansas City. Plus, I'll be almost an hour closer to Fargo, so win/win.

I feel bad for those that are stuck in that situation, it's not going to get any better.

Thats too bad. Thats not even PC, thats beyond that. Good Lord. Best of luck with the new job and the move.

GCWaters
05-19-2016, 07:21 PM
Crap move in the dean's part....best wishes to your wife; hopefully something better comes along....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EndZoneQB
05-19-2016, 08:34 PM
Welp.

I don't agree with "hippie hell" - nor would I really classify any place in Kansas that :rofl:. Most hippies can see through the BS in a classroom setting.

BlueBisonRock
05-19-2016, 08:42 PM
I don't agree with "hippie hell" - nor would I really classify any place in Kansas that :rofl:. Most hippies can see through the BS in a classroom setting.

Butt then again, you are way too young to understand the hippie movement and its implications. It was much more than simply conforming to nonconformity... ranging from Lennon to Manson... with a strong dose of my rather than our. Of course there was 'good' that came from the movement (including Lennon), but entitlement was not one of these 'goods'.

ndsubison1
05-19-2016, 09:52 PM
College is no longer about open discussion. If you disagree with the pc police, you're wrong. Also, simply saying a word doesn't mean anything. As George Carlin said, "Context."

StL Bison Fan
05-19-2016, 10:09 PM
Butt then again, you are way too young to understand the hippie movement and its implications. It was much more than simply conforming to nonconformity... ranging from Lennon to Manson... with a strong dose of my rather than our. Of course there was 'good' that came from the movement (including Lennon), but entitlement was not one of these 'goods'.

It was the sex, drugs, and rock and roll

bisonaudit
05-19-2016, 10:31 PM
College is no longer about open discussion. If you disagree with the pc police, you're wrong. Also, simply saying a word doesn't mean anything. As George Carlin said, "Context."

In this case it sure seems like the authorities understood that the accusations were a pile of crap but they got run over by the rabble, so I think it's less about disagreeing with the pc police and more about a mob silencing opposition to their point of view.

Bison 4 Life
05-20-2016, 12:16 AM

You wouldn't believe it. There's a large subset of non-college aged adults here who hate to bathe and love urban farming. Combine that with all the hipsters and you basically have what Austin is to Texas.

56BISON73
05-20-2016, 01:28 AM
You wouldn't believe it. There's a large subset of non-college aged adults here who hate to bathe and love urban farming. Combine that with all the hipsters and you basically have what Austin is to Texas.

So when is the law suit going to be filed?

runtheoption
05-20-2016, 01:59 AM
In this case it sure seems like the authorities understood that the accusations were a pile of crap but they got run over by the rabble, so I think it's less about disagreeing with the pc police and more about a mob silencing opposition to their point of view. First they came for the non-PC professors, and I did not speak out...

Bison 4 Life
05-20-2016, 03:43 AM
So when is the law suit going to be filed?
It's a really shitty deal. Technically this isn't a termination, professors go through this all the time. Rarely, however is a recommendation by the tenure review committee ignored by the dean.

This stinks to high heaven but we can't prove they did anything concretely. That and KU has a dozen lawyers and millions of dollars. Just have to take the lumps and go on.

JMB
05-20-2016, 11:22 AM
It's a really shitty deal. Technically this isn't a termination, professors go through this all the time. Rarely, however is a recommendation by the tenure review committee ignored by the dean.

This stinks to high heaven but we can't prove they did anything concretely. That and KU has a dozen lawyers and millions of dollars. Just have to take the lumps and go on.

And you realize it isn't a great place to work and move on. I am starting to agree with my Republican friends that this is getting out of control. Isn't the point of a university to have free and open exchange of ideas?

Bison 4 Life
05-20-2016, 01:06 PM
And you realize it isn't a great place to work and move on. I am starting to agree with my Republican friends that this is getting out of control. Isn't the point of a university to have free and open exchange of ideas?

What's crazy is we're getting almost as much support from liberals as conservatives. I think it's more like above the age of 25 you have some damn sense.

BisonAccountant44
05-20-2016, 02:24 PM
It's different but when saw the story yesterday about rebranding a number of things around campus, like Bison Bucks, from Bison to NDSU because "Bison is athletics" and therfore "some students may not identify as Bison"; I couldn't help but think of your situation and others like it that we've seen around the country.

In sorry that you've had to go through this, but it sounds like it will eventually get you into a better situation so guess that's a good thing.

Bison 4 Life
05-20-2016, 02:53 PM
It's different but when saw the story yesterday about rebranding a number of things around campus, like Bison Bucks, from Bison to NDSU because "Bison is athletics" and therfore "some students may not identify as Bison"; I couldn't help but think of your situation and others like it that we've seen around the country.

In sorry that you've had to go through this, but it sounds like it will eventually get you into a better situation so guess that's a good thing.

That's crazy. I'm surprised SDSU still uses Hobo dough.

EndZoneQB
05-20-2016, 05:00 PM

I might not have lived it but, I would consider myself decently informed on the movement. I think it is extremely interesting - but I know there was clearly some negatives to it. As with anything, too much of something is bad - and that's basically what happened in this case. On the flipside, it was one of the greatest generations this country has seen...

Weird. Austin is a pretty awesome place tho, let's not try to bring it down to Lawrence's level.

What's crazy is we're getting almost as much support from liberals as conservatives. I think it's more like above the age of 25 you have some damn sense.

I can definitely see that...this is one of those common sense things. Maybe I'm just out of touch with how kids are these days, but I feel like even at 17-18 I knew what a college classroom was about. I mean...it's supposed to be thought provoking and even edgy - saying what everyone is thinking in HS without the typical PC police.

I don't think it's any secret that I'm liberal(or maybe centrist or even slightly conservative in 2016's political sphere), but this is absolutely bullshit.

Bison 4 Life
05-20-2016, 05:13 PM
I might not have lived it but, I would consider myself decently informed on the movement. I think it is extremely interesting - but I know there was clearly some negatives to it. As with anything, too much of something is bad - and that's basically what happened in this case. On the flipside, it was one of the greatest generations this country has seen...

Weird. Austin is a pretty awesome place tho, let's not try to bring it down to Lawrence's level.

I can definitely see that...this is one of those common sense things. Maybe I'm just out of touch with how kids are these days, but I feel like even at 17-18 I knew what a college classroom was about. I mean...it's supposed to be thought provoking and even edgy - saying what everyone is thinking in HS without the typical PC police.

I don't think it's any secret that I'm liberal(or maybe centrist or even slightly conservative in 2016's political sphere), but this is absolutely bullshit.

Agreed on Austin. I was referring to the general vibe compared to the rest of KS. We are considered to be quite out there. I thought I would fit right in as I am also quite liberal but man, I'm practically Ronald Reagan here.

BisonFan02
05-20-2016, 08:03 PM
Hey now...no politics on BV! This is supposed to be a "Safe Space" from all of those consequences! :rofl:

GCWaters
05-20-2016, 08:22 PM

In my experience, there's one thing that unites faculty, regardless of their political views, religious views, or area of study, and that's distrust of the upper administration, especially in issues like this....everyone seems to know that if someone else can be let go without reason, they can be, too....and I unfortunately agree with your assessment of an appeal...untenured faculty can often be let go with no reason with no recourse--it sucks....

ByeSonBusiness
05-20-2016, 10:38 PM
Agreed on Austin. I was referring to the general vibe compared to the rest of KS. We are considered to be quite out there. I thought I would fit right in as I am also quite liberal but man, I'm practically Ronald Reagan here.

Paraphrasing here but..."I didn't leave the Democrat party, they left me." :). Welcome to the GOP

perthbison
05-21-2016, 04:04 AM
. On the flipside, it was one of the greatest generations this country has seen...

This generation has a uniqness that defines it but as far as great generations I'll always admire the WW2 generation head and shoulders above the 60s.

onbison09
05-22-2016, 04:02 AM
Welp.

The thing that's interesting is even Obama has called out students specifically in commencement speeches this year for things like not wanting Condi Rice to speak at Rutgers.

td577
05-22-2016, 05:38 AM
This generation has a uniqness that defines it but as far as great generations I'll always admire the WW2 generation head and shoulders above the 60s.

They did raise the kids that brought the 60s generation. I am still undecided if they did good or bad there. Just sayin'.

Bison 4 Life
05-26-2016, 10:31 PM
So it hit the bigger news and a reporter asked me so I told him all the details.

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=7628

tony
05-26-2016, 11:58 PM
So it hit the bigger news and a reporter asked me so I told him all the details.

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=7628

That is Kafka-esque.

It's so bad that both the Washington Post and NY Times have written articles warning of the danger of academia becoming way too oppressively leftist. IMO, it's hard to have a vibrant university when everything is politicized... so I'm not saying that we should balance things out by finding an equal number of right wing morons to counterbalance the left wing morons, but something needs to change.

56BISON73
05-27-2016, 06:32 AM
That is Kafka-esque.

It's so bad that both the Washington Post and NY Times have written articles warning of the danger of academia becoming way too oppressively leftist. IMO, it's hard to have a vibrant university when everything is politicized... so I'm not saying that we should balance things out by finding an equal number of right wing morons to counterbalance the left wing morons, but something needs to change.

The admin need to grow a nut sack and tell these pontificating pussys---NO. You dont run this university. Not only are you here to learn academically but while you are here there are many life lessons to be learned. One is life aint easy. Toughen up. You dont like it--leave.
The tail is wagging the dog. They need to change that quick.

StL Bison Fan
05-27-2016, 01:59 PM
This stuff starts in elementary school where everyone has to win.
Kids today dont know how to lose graciously much less win with class.
Pepole talk about being PC. This is a true example of PC. Universities are where ideas are king.These students are truely in the wrong place if they cant have a discussion and disagree.
I do believe we shout about being too PC when it really is a problem with respect, kindness, and manners.
The fools up north are an example of people who dont understand that sometimes something you think is ok, really has an effect on others.

Bison 4 Life
05-27-2016, 02:23 PM
[/B]

The admin need to grow a nut sack and tell these pontificating pussys---NO. You dont run this university. Not only are you here to learn academically but while you are here there are many life lessons to be learned. One is life aint easy. Toughen up. You dont like it--leave.
The tail is wagging the dog. They need to change that quick.

This dean's first big action was giving 150 failing students a pass to try to get their grades up. College is not hard anymore.

17>1
05-27-2016, 02:25 PM
Pepole talk about being PC. This is a true example of PC. Universities are where ideas are king.These students are truely in the wrong place if they cant have a discussion and disagree.
I do believe we shout about being too PC when it really is a problem with respect, kindness, and manners.
The fools up north are an example of people who dont understand that sometimes something you think is ok, really has an effect on others.

I don't have anything to add to the discussion, but I bolded your comment based upon something I saw last night. I was at the gym last night and they had the Scripps National Spelling Bee on TV (I couldn't find a remote to change it) and I noticed that every time a kid spelled a word wrong and was eliminated, they gave high fives to the remaining competitors. I thought it was great that they did that in spite of probably being pretty disappointed. I also noticed kids were doing the Cam Newton dab after getting their words right, funny stuff. Also, I agree for the most part about kids these days, but there are the exceptions. I know I've talked plenty about the Shearer boys and their high school wrestling careers, but look no further for a couple of class acts. I notice a lot of guys immediately after winning a state championship that hold up "X" amount of fingers indicating how many titles they've won...neither Jordan (6) or Jesse (2)have done that, ever. Jordan could've held up 6 fingers last year, the only time anyone in ND would have been able to do so, and he just walked over and shook the opposing wrestlers coaches hands.

mebisonII
05-27-2016, 02:47 PM
I don't have anything to add to the discussion, but I bolded your comment based upon something I saw last night. I was at the gym last night and they had the Scripps National Spelling Bee on TV (I couldn't find a remote to change it) and I noticed that every time a kid spelled a word wrong and was eliminated, they gave high fives to the remaining competitors. I thought it was great that they did that in spite of probably being pretty disappointed. I also noticed kids were doing the Cam Newton dab after getting their words right, funny stuff. Also, I agree for the most part about kids these days, but there are the exceptions. I know I've talked plenty about the Shearer boys and their high school wrestling careers, but look no further for a couple of class acts. I notice a lot of guys immediately after winning a state championship that hold up "X" amount of fingers indicating how many titles they've won...neither Jordan (6) or Jesse (2)have done that, ever. Jordan could've held up 6 fingers last year, the only time anyone in ND would have been able to do so, and he just walked over and shook the opposing wrestlers coaches hands.

Thanks for that reminder. As a parent of young girls (5, 2, 2 months) I sometimes feel some anxiety over how I'll get them through childhood to be responsible and respectful adults (let's just say they are quite a work in progress yet). Stories of entitled, self-righteous kids and student with no respect really get to me sometimes. But it helps to realize that there are some really fantastic kids out there. Some of the young ladies we've used as sitters for the last couple years are comforting examples to me...really pleasant, responsible, happy girls that I fully trust with my kids. They have been an absolutely pleasure to know and watch them grow and it sounds like the Shearer boys are the same way.

StL Bison Fan
05-27-2016, 03:11 PM
Thanks for that reminder. As a parent of young girls (5, 2, 2 months) I sometimes feel some anxiety over how I'll get them through childhood to be responsible and respectful adults (let's just say they are quite a work in progress yet). Stories of entitled, self-righteous kids and student with no respect really get to me sometimes. But it helps to realize that there are some really fantastic kids out there. Some of the young ladies we've used as sitters for the last couple years are comforting examples to me...really pleasant, responsible, happy girls that I fully trust with my kids. They have been an absolutely pleasure to know and watch them grow and it sounds like the Shearer boys are the same way.
If you are worried about it- your kids will turn out fine.
Its overbearing or I unengaged parents that are the problem. Ask teachers. They see all kinds.

runtheoption
05-27-2016, 07:36 PM
Thanks for that reminder. As a parent of young girls (5, 2, 2 months) I sometimes feel some anxiety over how I'll get them through childhood to be responsible and respectful adults (let's just say they are quite a work in progress yet). Stories of entitled, self-righteous kids and student with no respect really get to me sometimes. But it helps to realize that there are some really fantastic kids out there. Some of the young ladies we've used as sitters for the last couple years are comforting examples to me...really pleasant, responsible, happy girls that I fully trust with my kids. They have been an absolutely pleasure to know and watch them grow and it sounds like the Shearer boys are the same way.It's not that my kids are spoiled, they are just better than all the other kids so they get what they want, no questions asked. :biggrin:

Bison bison
06-02-2016, 04:56 PM
If you are worried about it- your kids will turn out fine.
Its overbearing or I unengaged parents that are the problem. Ask teachers. They see all kinds.

Disagree.

I'm totally mailing it in as a parent and my kids are turning out great.

Hammerhead
06-02-2016, 09:20 PM

I wonder about some kids I've know where their parents told me not to try very hard when playing board games or cards because little "Johnny" gets upset when he loses. I don't mind letting them beat me playing Candyland or Chutes and Ladders, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Learning how to fail and figure out ways to do better next time is an important lesson.

I never got any of these awards when I was a kid.
http://www.boss-awards.info/sites/default/files/xs-217.jpg?1281019168

ByeSonBusiness
06-02-2016, 10:20 PM
I wonder about some kids I've know where their parents told me not to try very hard when playing board games or cards because little "Johnny" gets upset when he loses. I don't mind letting them beat me playing Candyland or Chutes and Ladders, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Learning how to fail and figure out ways to do better next time is an important lesson.

I never got any of these when I was a kid.

http://www.boss-awards.info/sites/default/files/xs-217.jpg?1281019168

The biggest motivation in life.

Vet70
06-08-2016, 01:51 PM
I watched a kid's cooking competition a couple of weeks ago and after a winner for the round was declared one contestant said, "I didn't know there were going to be winners." And there it is.

bisonp
06-08-2016, 03:18 PM

How do you throw a game of complete chance?

There is a place for it. With kids you have to play down to their level and give them some victories or they'll lose interest quickly. But if you give them every victory that's when things get tough for them later on in life.

Bison bison
06-08-2016, 03:40 PM
I should have been tougher, earlier on my oldest boy. He's 9 and probably as good at most things as I am.

runtheoption
06-08-2016, 09:39 PM
I should have been tougher, earlier on my oldest boy. He's 9 and probably as good at most things as I am.Either your son is brilliant, or you are functioning at the level of an 8 year old.