PDA

View Full Version : Dylan Miller

Bisonator98
02-26-2016, 01:30 PM
IMO he should not have played at all this year but we probably needed another big with Kadings injuries. He should not be a starter. He just doesn't seem to have any energy, no offensive game and his defense is lacking. The coaches should think about starting Kading or Werner.

Professor Chaos
02-26-2016, 01:43 PM
Dylan Miller has a nice 15 foot jumper (when left open) and he's a good rebounder. He's got the body that doesn't require a redshirt but he does seem to lose his mental edge at times, especially when he gets in foul trouble. I'd tend to agree that I'd like to see Kading starting instead of him but I have no idea about the restrictions Kading's health puts on his minutes and such. I like Dex coming off the bench, when he's on he provides that jolt to the team after the initial rush of the game starting has worn off.

ndsubison1
02-26-2016, 01:55 PM
Dex and Kading provide more imo

Bisonator98
02-26-2016, 02:00 PM
Dylan Miller has a nice 15 foot jumper (when left open) and he's a good rebounder. He's got the body that doesn't require a redshirt but he does seem to lose his mental edge at times, especially when he gets in foul trouble. I'd tend to agree that I'd like to see Kading starting instead of him but I have no idea about the restrictions Kading's health puts on his minutes and such. I like Dex coming off the bench, when he's on he provides that jolt to the team after the initial rush of the game starting has worn off.

No offense but I want bigs that can back down in the low post and he just doesn't have that game or at least he hasn't shown it much. Also I'm not sure about the rebounding, he didn't look very good at it last night. IMO Dex has some of the offensive traits that I would like to see us use more but the coaches seem to want our bigs to just set picks for the guards.

Professor Chaos
02-26-2016, 02:24 PM
No offense but I want bigs that can back down in the low post and he just doesn't have that game or at least he hasn't shown it much. Also I'm not sure about the rebounding, he didn't look very good at it last night. IMO Dex has some of the offensive traits that I would like to see us use more but the coaches seem to want our bigs to just set picks for the guards.
It's rare to get a big with a good back-to-the-basket game in the Summit League. Marshall Bjorklund had the type of game we probably won't see anyone else come close to at NDSU over the next 10 years. I think Dylan can still develop that part of his game somewhat because you're right, it's non-existent right now. He needs to score off offensive rebounds or off open shots created by others.

I think Dave Richman would also prefer to redshirt all his players if he could. I'd have to think that Kading (with his 3 offseason surgeries) was just too much of a question mark going into the season to not have another big guy in the rotation and if Dylan is a better option right now than Wesenberg or Eliason then I think the call had to be made this way.

I'd also like to see them feed Dex in the post more. He has the ability to score with his back to the basket in the post and just feeding it down there will collapse the defense creating opportunities for others. In the same respect Dex has to get better at passing out of the post, especially when he's double teamed.

HoopsBison
02-26-2016, 02:26 PM
Dylan is young and learning on the fly and it shows, he will be a damn good player in the coming years. He doesn't play starter minutes, usually plays the first 4 minutes of each half and very sporadically after that. The coaches like Dex coming off the bench, and he ends up playing starter minutes. I tend to agree and would like to see Kading start over Dylan but I think Dave likes the flexibility Kading offers for subbing if guys like AJ or Kory get in early foul trouble.

Bisonator98
02-26-2016, 02:33 PM
It's rare to get a big with a good back-to-the-basket game in the Summit League. Marshall Bjorklund had the type of game we probably won't see anyone else come close to at NDSU over the next 10 years. I think Dylan can still develop that part of his game somewhat because you're right, it's non-existent right now. He needs to score off offensive rebounds or off open shots created by others.

I think Dave Richman would also prefer to redshirt all his players if he could. I'd have to think that Kading (with his 3 offseason surgeries) was just too much of a question mark going into the season to not have another big guy in the rotation and if Dylan is a better option right now than Wesenberg or Eliason then I think the call had to be made this way.

I'd also like to see them feed Dex in the post more. He has the ability to score with his back to the basket in the post and just feeding it down there will collapse the defense creating opportunities for others. In the same respect Dex has to get better at passing out of the post, especially when he's double teamed.

Agreed. I got spoiled watching Bjorklund play the post. It was a beautiful thing.

Bison"FANatic"
02-26-2016, 02:45 PM
Dex has a hard time adjusting his game to the way the refs are calling it. He does it but he doesn't do it quickly. He can have a couple fouls in just a couple minutes quite easily. With Dylan starting you have a idea how the game is being called when Dex comes in thus getting more minutes later in the game.

We saw it last night as Daum didn't start and came in right before Dex. Daum was backing Dex down and pounding into him and Dex bodied him up and got fouls. He never did change the aggressive D and let Daum body hard into him and fall back and get the offensive foul. You need to force the ref to make the call but Dex kept playing aggressive D and with the way they were calling it last night you could not do that. The art of recognizing and changing your game to the way refs are calling it can be very tough for some especially a aggressive player like Dex.

Bisonator98
02-26-2016, 02:56 PM
Dex has a hard time adjusting his game to the way the refs are calling it. He does it but he doesn't do it quickly. He can have a couple fouls in just a couple minutes quite easily. With Dylan starting you have a idea how the game is being called when Dex comes in thus getting more minutes later in the game.

We saw it last night as Daum didn't start and came in right before Dex. Daum was backing Dex down and pounding into him and Dex bodied him up and got fouls. He never did change the aggressive D and let Daum body hard into him and fall back and get the offensive foul. You need to force the ref to make the call but Dex kept playing aggressive D and with the way they were calling it last night you could not do that. The art of recognizing and changing your game to the way refs are calling it can be very tough for some especially a aggressive player like Dex.

That cuts both ways though, the refs see how soft Miller is playing then Dex comes in more physical and gets called. Maybe starting Dex would allow for more physical play from the start? It depends on refs too. Last nights fouls were pretty cheap against NDSU and not being called on both ends.

Bison"FANatic"
02-26-2016, 03:42 PM
Maybe starting Dex would allow for more physical play from the start? It depends on refs too. Last nights fouls were pretty cheap against NDSU and not being called on both ends.

and more minutes with Dex sitting on the bench over the course of the whole game. Tough position this year for coach, Kading is a shadow of his former self and is gutting out his senior year. Started out with Dex starting but coaches must figure there is a reason they want him coming off the bench, its not like they didn't try it.

It is very easy to look back and say Dylan should have redshirted, We NEEDED him now though. Not a perfect scenario but it is what it is.

imabison
02-26-2016, 05:41 PM
IMO he should not have played at all this year but we probably needed another big with Kadings injuries. He should not be a starter. He just doesn't seem to have any energy, no offensive game and his defense is lacking. The coaches should think about starting Kading or Werner.
I think that if Chris Kading had not had 2 hip and 1 shoulder surgery in the off season that we may have seen Dylan Miller redshirting.
That said if you ever listen to Coach Richman talk about him in the post games he says Dylan Miller is a work in progress.

HandoEX
02-26-2016, 05:48 PM
There was no chance Dylan Miller redshirted, regardless of how Kading's health was.

HerdBot
02-27-2016, 12:42 AM
I dont think it'd fair to criticize an 18 year old true freshman. I think he has some great potential. He will only improve.

silkamilkamonico
02-27-2016, 04:56 AM
I know we need bodies but he should have redshirted with the benefit of hindsight obviously, which Richman doesn't have that luxury.. IMO he is still trying to figure everything out. It looks to me like he has no idea how to position his body on both the offense and defense (he's a little further ahead offensively IMO). I will say, and this is just my humble uneducated completely observant opinion, but he does not play hard or tough at all. The game seems to move way too fast for him and his lack of hustle up and down the court is baffling. I think the biggest thing for me is I'm completely perplexed on why he starts. Moreso, why he starts, and then doesn't see the court much at all after the first 6 minutes that he plays. Why not use his minutes during the middle portion of the game to give Werner/Kading a break. That makes no sense to me.

silkamilkamonico
02-27-2016, 05:00 AM
I dont think it'd fair to criticize an 18 year old true freshman. I think he has some great potential. He will only improve.

I try not to criticize when I post of him. I get he's a freshman and he's trying to figure everything out and it takes some longer than others. I think it's fair in saying I can't imagine he has come along like the coaching staff would have hoped. The only thing for me that gets frustrating with watching him is things he can control, like hustle and fighting after loose balls and going after rebounds, he doesn't do. I'm not sure yet if he's just a player that lacks those things. Sometimes when the game is moving to fast for an athlete they get stuck trying to think and being tentative and haven't turned that "go time" switch on. He is a skilled bigman that could be really good if the game could slow down for him and he can just react and play, which it hopefully will in time.

ndsubison1
02-27-2016, 05:48 AM
No problem with him playing, just dont understand why he's starting. I get that its usually Kading or Dex in at the end of games. What did Kading do to deserve losing a starting spot? Dex is a little undersized, but a better player as well.

Bison"FANatic"
02-27-2016, 01:29 PM
. What did Kading do to deserve losing a starting spot?

3 times under the knife in the off season. He is gutting it out but he is not near as productive or playing as close to the rim or as athletically as he used to. He is giving us valuable minutes off the bench though for both center and guards.

Bisonator98
02-27-2016, 01:31 PM

Not criticising just discussing. Just don't think he should be a starter yet. I'm hoping he improves and can be a solid player for us.

silkamilkamonico
02-27-2016, 03:39 PM
I think Kading has turnd into a really good defender. He's very good on his man and he's real good at help defense. He's aware of everything around him and in front. I don't think he's turned into the kind of offensive player we were hoping for but he has been a big part of why our defense is so good inside, imo.

ndsubison1
02-27-2016, 03:50 PM
3 times under the knife in the off season. He is gutting it out but he is not near as productive or playing as close to the rim or as athletically as he used to. He is giving us valuable minutes off the bench though for both center and guards.

Miller hasnt shown anything to deserve starting over him. If anything it should be Dex

Bison"FANatic"
02-27-2016, 04:15 PM
Miller hasnt shown anything to deserve starting over him. If anything it should be Dex

Why does everyone get hung up on "starting". Who Cares it means nothing look at minutes played. That is the important number. I have not ever seen us pound it inside the first 4 minutes. Its all about seeing how they are playing our guard offense and getting them going.

NorthernBison
02-27-2016, 04:25 PM
Why does everyone get hung up on "starting". Who Cares it means nothing look at minutes played. That is the important number. I have not ever seen us pound it inside the first 4 minutes. Its all about seeing how they are playing our guard offense and getting them going.

My thoughts exactly. It's also important to note that some players are better off the bench and sometimes there is a rotation that seems to work better.

Bisonator98
02-27-2016, 07:27 PM

Because it's normal to start your best players. Starting one of your worst is not how this normally works.

Bison"FANatic"
02-27-2016, 07:52 PM
Because it's normal to start your best players. Starting one of your worst is not how this normally works.

Actually no it isn't, it is more about matchups throughout a game and how people handle coming off the bench and how a coach is going to make sure he has the players he wants in during critical times in a game not just the first 3 minutes.

Coaching is a heck of lot deeper than "starting" your 5 best players.

Herd12
02-27-2016, 08:43 PM

This is just not true... think the 90s Bulls not starting Toni Kukoc, the 00s Spurs not starting Manu Ginobli... you set your rotation in the way that best works for your team. Werner is better off the bench, Kading isn't healthy enough for starters minutes this year. Therefore Dylan starts the game. You're a little unrealistically harsh on the merits of his game, but the fact that he's producing is why he's clearly 3rd in minutes amongst the 3 bigs that play.

If I was the coach I'd be handling the big man rotation the exact same way Richman is.

silkamilkamonico
02-28-2016, 12:45 AM
This is just not true... think the 90s Bulls not starting Toni Kukoc, the 00s Spurs not starting Manu Ginobli... you set your rotation in the way that best works for your team. Werner is better off the bench, Kading isn't healthy enough for starters minutes this year. Therefore Dylan starts the game. You're a little unrealistically harsh on the merits of his game, but the fact that he's producing is why he's clearly 3rd in minutes amongst the 3 bigs that play.

If I was the coach I'd be handling the big man rotation the exact same way Richman is.

If tonight was any indication me too. I don't think Dylan played tonight.

Bison"FANatic"
02-28-2016, 01:48 AM
If tonight was any indication me too. I don't think Dylan played tonight.

He only played 2 minutes against Denver at home also and then was back starting. Coach said back then Denver was a bad match up for him back then.

ndsubison1
02-28-2016, 01:51 AM
Yeah DU is a perimeter oriented team

bisonfan08
02-29-2016, 07:27 PM
Actually no it isn't, it is more about matchups throughout a game and how people handle coming off the bench and how a coach is going to make sure he has the players he wants in during critical times in a game not just the first 3 minutes.

Coaching is a heck of lot deeper than "starting" your 5 best players.

Correct. Honestly I believe the reason he starts is because we have our 4 best scorers on the court with him to start the game so we don't need much from him. The reason Dex comes off the bench is because he is the best option for bigs on the offensive end and when guys get into foul trouble or need a break he can come in and provide extra offense when any one of Paul, AJ, Khy or Kory are out of the game. If you notice a lot of Kading's minutes are when the rest of the starting lineup is in the game or he comes in at the 4 for AJ because of the same situation. I'm guessing the reason Kading doesn't start is simply because he is on limited minutes this year but that's just my assumption. This way Dex & Kading are running the bigs rotation when any of our other starters are out of the game and Dylan is on the floor when our other 4 starters are running the offense. I think Richman has it right, he is the head coach after all I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing.

HerdBot
03-01-2016, 03:59 AM
Correct. Honestly I believe the reason he starts is because we have our 4 best scorers on the court with him to start the game so we don't need much from him. The reason Dex comes off the bench is because he is the best option for bigs on the offensive end and when guys get into foul trouble or need a break he can come in and provide extra offense when any one of Paul, AJ, Khy or Kory are out of the game. If you notice a lot of Kading's minutes are when the rest of the starting lineup is in the game or he comes in at the 4 for AJ because of the same situation. I'm guessing the reason Kading doesn't start is simply because he is on limited minutes this year but that's just my assumption. This way Dex & Kading are running the bigs rotation when any of our other starters are out of the game and Dylan is on the floor when our other 4 starters are running the offense. I think Richman has it right, he is the head coach after all I'm pretty sure he knows what he's doing.

This ^^^^^^^^