PDA

View Full Version : NDSU Vs UNI Saturday 2/13/16

Gladiator Dad
02-09-2016, 01:12 PM
125 #5 Dylan Peters Dec over #13 Josh Rodriguez (NDSU) 3-0 UNI
I think Josh is capable of winning here but the edge goes to Peters

133 #17 Josh Alber (UNI) by Maj vs Nico Colunga (NDSU) 7-0 UNI
If Nico can avoid giving up bonus point here that could be huge.

141 Mitch Bengtson (NDSU) Dec over Trevor Jauch (UNI) 7-3 UNI
Jauch is a solid wrestler but I think Mitch wins a close one here

149 Clay Ream (NDSU) Dec over Adam Perrin (UNI) 7-6 UNI
Clay could possibly get bonus points here if he turns it up a notch

157 Bryce Steiert (UNI) Dec over Kyle Gliva (NDSU) 10-6 UNI
Toss-Up but I give the edge to Steiert.

165 #19 Cooper Moore (UNI) Maj vs Grant Nehring (NDSU) 14-6 UNI
Grant needs to keep this one close and not let it get out of hand

174 Blake Thompson/Tyler McNutt (NDSU) Dec over Kyle Lux (UNI) 14-9 UNI
This is another Toss-Up but a match NDSU can win

184 #8 Hayden Zillmer (NDSU) Maj over Drew Foster (UNI) 14-13 UNI
Hayden can possiblely get higher bonus points here.

197 Jarde Bartel (UNI) Dec over Logan Paxton (NDSU) 17-13 UNI
Another Toss-Up but I give the edge to Bartel in this one

285 #17 Blaize Cabell (UNI) by Dec vs Ben Tynan (NDSU) 20-13 UNI
I think Big Ben is capable of winning this match but the edge goes to Cabell since he beat Ben earlier this season

Gladiator Dad
02-09-2016, 04:08 PM
Coach Schwab on the dual this weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0m_My7KOQJo&feature=youtu.be

Abe1727
02-09-2016, 08:44 PM
Thanks for all your informational posts Gladiator Dad. I really appreciate all that you do for the Bisonville forum.

larson311
02-10-2016, 03:50 PM
Looks good Gladiator, I just don't think we match up well...going to need some big upsets and bonus points to pull this one off.

Sweepsingle
02-10-2016, 08:00 PM
If we are being honest...the Bison will be favored in only 1 match...184. At 285 it is a pick em...and the rest of the lineup will favor the Panthers. The Bison have a lot of work to do in order to finish the season on a high note. Beating a couple of weak teams does not make them a good team.

RadioBison
02-14-2016, 12:12 AM
It looks like they are sitting lots of guys. I feel bad that JRod hasn't been able to face any of the ranked guys lately.

SC_TX
02-14-2016, 12:30 AM
Why is UNI wrestling such a weak sauce lineup? Literally their weakest guy in each weight

RadioBison
02-14-2016, 01:12 AM
Why is UNI wrestling such a weak sauce lineup? Literally their weakest guy in each weight

This is puzzling. We're going to beat them for the first time in almost 40 years

RadioBison
02-14-2016, 01:28 AM
It looks like Peters and Moore are dealing with injuries.

Big Bird
02-14-2016, 01:50 AM
It sucks to not get to see Peters, Moore, and Steiert, but a win is a win. I actually thought NDSU wrestled pretty well all throughout the lineup.
125- Rodriguez looks really good right now. He legitimately can win the B12 tournament at 125. I think if he can get past Ryan Milhoff, he's the champ. Right now, I think he's better than a pair of returning AAs in the B12 in Zeke Moisey and Eddie Klimara.
133- Nico got manhandled, but that will happen to him. Hopefully he bulks up to 141 and gets to be really big at that weight and is the long term answer there.
141- I was very underwhelmed in this one. This match didn't have to be this close, but Bengston refused to fully commit to his attacks. Nearly gave this one away at the end.
149- Clay looked good for the most part. His ride in the first was reminiscent of last year and I love all of the super quick takedowns he gets to start matches.
157- I thought Gliva looked lethargic, but hey, he came up big in one third period sequence and got the win.
165- Nehring looked like the more talented of the two, but his shot defense wasn't up to par early on in this one.
174- Good to see McNutt get a shot and come out with a win. He looked more energetic at 174 and that shouldn't be a surprise with his size.
184- The bear got poked right away, and the bear came back and mauled the UNI kid. With how Gabe Dean has looked mortal again, I think Zillmer and Nate Brown look the best at this weight in the entire country.
197- Really good effort tonight, just not athletic enough to take it. Krumweide beat MNs Bobby Steveson this year, and Steveson was the #1 197 pound recruit in the country, so I was surprised to see Paxton take him to OT and give him trouble.
HWT- Cabell strength was the factor. Also, Cabell was better prepared than in their first meeting. When Cabell picked down, he exploded up and got away. In their last meeting, Ben rode him for several minutes and punished him with the legs.

BisoninNWMN
02-14-2016, 11:39 AM
Really surprised with the NDSU win and too bad about the injuries for UNI.

Win is a win....

Christopher Moen
02-14-2016, 08:06 PM
Really surprised with the NDSU win and too bad about the injuries for UNI.

Win is a win....

The way this year is going, I'm happy for just about any type of victory.

Sweepsingle
02-14-2016, 11:30 PM
A win is a win...even if our Varsity just gets by against their JV. I hope that this years recruiting class has some quality guys and that there aren't a lot of guys who leave.

Gladiator Dad
02-15-2016, 01:17 AM
A win is a win...even if our Varsity just gets by against their JV. I hope that this years recruiting class has some quality guys and that there aren't a lot of guys who leave.

I'm not sure if I would go that far 7 out of 10 were their normal starters. I would say overall most of the guys wrestled pretty well.

Sweepsingle
02-17-2016, 03:00 PM
I'm not sure if I would go that far 7 out of 10 were their normal starters. I would say overall most of the guys wrestled pretty well.

UNI did wrestle their JV guys. 4 of their ranked guys did not come to Fargo. The outcomes of those weight classes would have been different with UNI winning at least 3 matches that they lost in the dual...with a full UNI lineup...NDSU gets beat...easily. Add insult to injury...UNI is having a losing season and are not in the top tier of programs at this point but probably have 4 or 5 NCAA qualifiers to NDSU's 2.

125 pounds - No. 5 Dylan Peters
133 pounds - No. 13 Josh Alber
141 pounds - No. 28 Trevor Jauch
157 pounds - No. 23 Bryce Steiert
165 pounds - No. 19 Cooper Moore
285 pounds - No. 15 Blaize Cabell

Sweepsingle
02-17-2016, 03:00 PM

UNI did wrestle their JV guys. 4 of their ranked guys did not come to Fargo. The outcomes of those weight classes would have been different with UNI winning at least 3 matches that they lost in the dual...with a full UNI lineup...NDSU gets beat...easily. Add insult to injury...UNI is having a losing season and are not in the top tier of programs at this point but probably have 4 or 5 NCAA qualifiers to NDSU's 2.

Gladiator Dad
02-17-2016, 06:50 PM

Well I guess we will have to disagree then.

1) 125 pounds - No. 5 Dylan Peters - Dec UNI +3 (NDSU -5)
2) 133 pounds - No. 13 Josh Alber - wrestled no change
3) 141 pounds - No. 28 Trevor Jauch - I am not convinced he beats Mitch - No change
4) 157 pounds - No. 23 Bryce Steiert - at best a dec for UNI +3 (NDSU -3)
5) 165 pounds - No. 19 Cooper Moore - we lost here anyway no change
6) 285 pounds - No. 15 Blaize Cabell - wrestled no change

So NDSU would have lost 21-14, Oh wait go back to post number 1, well I'll be that's almost perfect to what I said. You make it sound like NDSU would have been blown out and that's simply not the case. Oh for the record I would give UNI the edge at 125 but it would not surprise me if Josh would still win that match. I would also say that NDSU will have more than two qualifiers, more like 4-5.

Sweepsingle
02-17-2016, 07:08 PM
Well I guess we will have to disagree then.

1) 125 pounds - No. 5 Dylan Peters - Dec UNI +3 (NDSU -5)
2) 133 pounds - No. 13 Josh Alber - wrestled no change
3) 141 pounds - No. 28 Trevor Jauch - I am not convinced he beats Mitch - No change
4) 157 pounds - No. 23 Bryce Steiert - at best a dec for UNI +3 (NDSU -3)
5) 165 pounds - No. 19 Cooper Moore - we lost here anyway no change
6) 285 pounds - No. 15 Blaize Cabell - wrestled no change

So NDSU would have lost 21-14, Oh wait go back to post number 1, well I'll be that's almost perfect to what I said. You make it sound like NDSU would have been blown out and that's simply not the case. Oh for the record I would give UNI the edge at 125 but it would not surprise me if Josh would still win that match. I would also say that NDSU will have more than two qualifiers, more like 4-5.

Gladiator...you have to take off those rose colored glasses. Using your scoring adjustments and the fact that Bengston beat the back up 3-2...he would get beat by Jauch +3 UNI and at 165 Cooper more like MD or TF not just a decision...so add up the point difference...UNI regular lineup would win 25-11. NDSU would win only 3 matches.

And in case you forgot...this year it is the Big XII not the WWC...Only two Bison are showing up on the RPI...they are going to have to steal someone else's automatic qualifier with a big performance at the conference meet...where do you think the other 2 or 3 guys are in the lineup to do that?

With only 1 senior and 1 Junior that have automatic qualifying seasons...this young team has not made the jump yet to warrant 4 or 5 qualifiers...but we shall see! To be a top 10 program it is going to take better coaching and better recruits to make that happen!

RadioBison
02-18-2016, 02:46 AM
[QUOTE=Sweepsingle;1103421]

And in case you forgot...this year it is the Big XII not the WWC...Only two Bison are showing up on the RPI...they are going to have to steal someone else's automatic qualifier with a big performance at the conference meet...where do you think the other 2 or 3 guys are in the lineup to do that?
[\QUOTE]

It's going to be tough. Ream is actually at #29 in the RPI, so I suppose that is on the edge of getting an auto bid, but he's not in the coaches poll. He's got 3 wins over guys in the RPI (Blanton, Galasso, and Delgado). Tynan has wins over two guys (Horwath and Gillen). Bengtson just has a win over Gross. Any of these guys could qualify with probably one mild upset, but I wouldn't expect any at large bids if they don't earn an automatic spot. Ream and Bengtson can both help their chances by beating SDSU this weekend.

El_Chapo
02-18-2016, 02:53 AM
sweepsingle good chatter, please keep posting. NDSU wrestling is a ticking time bomb, it will get better and the fanbase here is pretty knowledgeable... lots of great wrestling here on the hwy 10 corridor in Minnesota!

Big Bird
02-18-2016, 09:52 PM
I'd actually argue it would hurt Clay's chances of qualifying, if he beats Kocer this week. Clay isn't going to get the conference an AQ spot, regardless of how the weekend goes, BUT Kocer is right on the edge of earning an AQ spot for the conference, and a loss likely takes him out of contention for one.

That being said, we're facing our rivals from the south and I hope he crushes Kocer.