PDA

View Full Version : Scott Miller

Pages : [1] 2

Hoofbeats
02-05-2016, 04:07 PM
At the top of his show this morning, Mike McFeely stated that Scott Miller is going through some tough health issues. As you may be aware, Scott has missed the last two men's basketball games in dealing with them. Mike didn't elaborate as to severity although his emotions were certainly evident while talking, but did remind us that a few years ago Scott battled melanoma cancer. Mike inferred, at least the way I took it, is that this is a recurrence of that.

He went on to say that as Scott is a very private person and not one to make his problems known, there have been few details made public about this, but urged our collective thoughts and prayers for his recovery.

Bison 4 Life
02-05-2016, 04:10 PM
Best wishes to him.

He hasn't looked well since the problems started. The pictures I've seen of him are a stark contrast to his vibrant and strong voice. Hope it turns out.

thundarsdaddy
02-05-2016, 05:07 PM
Several weeks ago, during the FB season, Scotty did a Monday night Bison radio show on KFGO, which our local KZZJ simulcasts. Scotty was talking to Coach Klieman, I called the KFGO number and got through. Since I had met Scotty several years ago, when I said this is Tom from Rugby, he asked me how I was doing in my treatments. I said fine then asked him the same thing, because I wanted to know. I had heard rumors too. He said, bluntly and on-air, that he was undergoing chemo-therapy at Roger Maris every 2 weeks.
Since he made that much public, I shared it here.

Chemo can knock the shit outa you, but its short-term. Hopefully his is just that, short term, and in time we wont notice a thing.

for Scotty, and for anyone of Bison Nation dealing with cancer....we are thinking of you all! Go Bison

Oh...and FUCK CANCER!!!

td577
02-05-2016, 05:10 PM
Beat cancer!! Go Scotty!!

tony
02-05-2016, 05:10 PM
Scottie rules.
Cancer sucks.

Bison03
02-05-2016, 05:11 PM
Thoughts and prayers to Scotty. Hope all goes well. Bison athletics aren't the same without him calling the games. Come back soon and give us more "MY OH MY'S"!!

KilldeerBison
02-05-2016, 05:11 PM
Several weeks ago, during the FB season, Scotty did a Monday night Bison radio show on KFGO, which our local KZZJ simulcasts. Scotty was talking to Coach Klieman, I called the KFGO number and got through. Since I had met Scotty several years ago, when I said this is Tom from Rugby, he asked me how I was doing in my treatments. I said fine then asked him the same thing, because I wanted to know. I had heard rumors too. He said, bluntly and on-air, that he was undergoing chemo-therapy at Roger Maris every 2 weeks.
Since he made that much public, I shared it here.

Chemo can knock the shit outa you, but its short-term. Hopefully his is just that, short term, and in time we wont notice a thing.

for Scotty, and for anyone of Bison Nation dealing with cancer....we are thinking of you all! Go Bison

Oh...and FUCK CANCER!!!

Get well Scotty and Tom from Rugby!

thundarsdaddy
02-05-2016, 05:18 PM
[/B]

Get well Scotty and Tom from Rugby!

BTW, sir, when they decide on a date for the Spring Game, you and all of us, will have to get-together? The out-of-state families demand that we be there...lol

cbline
02-05-2016, 05:20 PM
Wishing all the best to Scott Miller and those closest to him.

Fire cancer!
Save Scotty!

Kujava23
02-05-2016, 05:30 PM
Thoughts and prayers to Scotty and his family!!

Your voice calling Bison Athletics beams BISON PRIDE & LOVE the way bring the game to life when listening to a game!

I LOVE hearing your play by play over highlights of the football team--something SPECIAL

Keep Fighting Scotty

Bisonator98
02-05-2016, 06:09 PM
Cancer sucks. I was diagnosed with leukemia 10 years ago. It is a shock to your well being just hearing those words. Thankfully the type I have is treated with a pill once a day and I have no side affects from it at all. Have had many family members die of different forms of cancer. Just about every family has been affected by some form or another. I almost think the treatments (chemo type) are worse then the actual disease. Wonder to myself quite often if I would go thru them if the situation presented itself.

My thoughts and prayers go out to Scott and every cancer patient and their families.

Bison Loaf
02-05-2016, 06:18 PM
This guy is, quite simply, the epitome of classiness when it comes to representing the program as the "Voice of the Bison".

In an age and era when sportscasters, play-by-play announcers, color commentators and reporters all seemingly want to be celebrities themselves and, in some cases, even try to become part of the story, Scott Miller always lets the story speak for itself. He never calls out coaches, players or fans, he never denigrates people and opinions, and he never over-steps the bounds of his role - which is to simply and eloquently describe the action on the field. And, My Oh My, he does that beautifully.

If he has to stop being the "Voice of the Bison", he is going to be VERY hard to replace. I wish him all the best, and my prayers go out to this classy, classy man.

HoopsBison
02-05-2016, 06:29 PM
Wishing the Scotty the best, have missed the voice of the Bison the last couple basketball games, just isn't the same with Scotty not behind the mic.

HerdBot
02-05-2016, 06:32 PM
This guy is, quite simply, the epitome of classiness when it comes to representing the program as the "Voice of the Bison".

In an age and era when sportscasters, play-by-play announcers, color commentators and reporters all seemingly want to be celebrities themselves and, in some cases, even try to become part of the story, Scott Miller always lets the story speak for itself. He never calls out coaches, players or fans, he never denigrates people and opinions, and he never over-steps the bounds of his role - which is to simply and eloquently describe the action on the field. And, My Oh My, he does that beautifully.

If he has to stop being the "Voice of the Bison", he is going to be VERY hard to replace. I wish him all the best, and my prayers go out to this classy, classy man.

This ^^ ditto

Professor Chaos
02-05-2016, 08:08 PM
We are truly lucky to have a guy like Scott Miller calling Bison football, basketball, and Redhawks baseball. It's incredible how good he is at all three. On top of that I don't think there's a person out there that has met him and doesn't like him. Best wishes Scottie and may we have many more "My Oh Mys" for years to come.

Oh... and
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BD6zUCtCYAAtpkl.jpg

WYOBISONMAN
02-05-2016, 08:54 PM
I wish all the best to Scott Miller defeating his health issues. He has truly been the best Voice of the Bison ever and I so look forward to listening to his broadcasts in the future.

CalBison97
02-05-2016, 11:38 PM
Scotty Miller, THEE absolute best! The one announcer I cannot get enough of.

GOBISON123
02-06-2016, 03:07 AM
Get well soon Scotty,

westnodak93bison
02-06-2016, 12:23 PM
We are truly lucky to have a guy like Scott Miller calling Bison football, basketball, and Redhawks baseball. It's incredible how good he is at all three. On top of that I don't think there's a person out there that has met him and doesn't like him. Best wishes Scottie and may we have many more "My Oh Mys" for years to come.

Oh... and
http://pbs.twimg.com/media/BD6zUCtCYAAtpkl.jpg
Agree, Scotty is awesome.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

MNLonghorn10
02-06-2016, 01:34 PM
Never met him, but seems like just a genuine, nice guy. Epitome of class. Kick its ass, Scott!

AKBison
02-06-2016, 03:11 PM
Might be a good opportunity for Bison Nation to give back to someone who is the voice of the Bison. Any chance someone here wants to be the rally point for a benefit?

Veyron
02-06-2016, 04:54 PM
Scott Miller = Class Best wishes to Scott and his family. Want to see Scott cancer free, calling sports and hear those wonderful "My oh my's".

td577
02-06-2016, 08:40 PM
Might be a good opportunity for Bison Nation to give back to someone who is the voice of the Bison. Any chance someone here wants to be the rally point for a benefit?

Someone should first find out if he needs a benefit. He might have had things in place to take care of something like this.

A1pigskin
02-06-2016, 09:11 PM
I love listening to Scott. Kick some butt Scottie. Lot's of people praying for you.

IBleedYellow
02-06-2016, 09:41 PM
Go kick cancers ass, Scotty. We'll keep this place loud and proud for the one and only voice of the Bison!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

GFBison
02-06-2016, 11:12 PM
Go kick cancers ass, Scotty. We'll keep this place loud and proud for the one and only voice of the Bison!

Prayers and best wishes for Scott and those close to him. Not another like him anywhere.

NDSU1980
02-06-2016, 11:25 PM
Yes, prayers for Scott.

A1pigskin
02-07-2016, 06:10 PM
I was just thinking of Scott so I thought to go look for his thread. Here I am thinking and praying for him.

1978Bison
02-07-2016, 07:02 PM
Thoughts and prayers to Scotty and his family!!

Your voice calling Bison Athletics beams BISON PRIDE & LOVE the way bring the game to life when listening to a game!

I LOVE hearing your play by play over highlights of the football team--something SPECIAL

Keep Fighting Scotty
Praying for you Scotty! You are the voice who has lifted us up with your energetic calls. It's time to lift you up!

bisonfanette
02-18-2016, 02:13 PM
Saying many many prayers for Scotty Miller. We miss you Scotty, and our thoughts are totally with you.

westnodak93bison
02-18-2016, 03:55 PM
Anyone have an update in Scotty's condition? Cancer is a bitch.

thundarsdaddy
02-18-2016, 04:05 PM
Amen!!!!!!

BisManBison
02-18-2016, 04:34 PM
Anyone have an update in Scotty's condition? Cancer is a bitch.

I was visiting with some of his radio family yesterday, he has apparently taken a turn for the worse :(. He can use all the positive thoughts and prayers we can bring Bison Nation.

bisonfanette
02-18-2016, 04:36 PM
I was visiting with some of his radio family yesterday, he has apparently taken a turn for the worse :(. He can use all the positive thoughts and prayers we can bring Bison Nation.

That's what Joel mentioned on the radio this morning… Prayers for Scotty Miller.

tjbison
02-18-2016, 04:55 PM
this sucks!!!!!!!

1998braves64
02-18-2016, 05:24 PM
Mike McFeely tweeted something anti cancer last night so assuming they had heard something late last night.

StL Bison Fan
02-18-2016, 05:29 PM
This was tweeted and on his facebook page.

Someday, cancer, we will find a way to beat you. And then we'll piss on your grave.

thundarsdaddy
02-18-2016, 05:34 PM
We are praying here, and I get the feeling all of Bison Nation is also, way to go HERD.

Not knowing his situation right now, I do know it really doesnt matter what gets said informally. Just to say this from having gone through 3 different forms of Chemotherapy in the last 20 months, just because the patient has taken a downturn, or is just feeling poorly, does not mean a thing. Chemo, in any form, is meant to beat-the-shit out of the cancer cells, and in the process they beat-the-shit out of the good, non-cancerous cells. Hopefully the cancer cells die, and your good cells can regenerate and make you strong once again. The younger a person is, the more aggressive the cancer can be(as all 3 of my Mayo Doctors will attest to), but also, the stronger the patient is, the more he or she can fight! Scotty is young...strong, and a fighter...we are in your fight with you Scotty...beat this shit!!!

1998braves64
02-18-2016, 05:34 PM
This was tweeted and on his facebook page.

Someday, cancer, we will find a way to beat you. And then we'll piss on your grave.

That was what I saw.

StL Bison Fan
02-18-2016, 06:07 PM
That was what I saw.

It was just vauge enough that we knew what it was about and others took it as an oppertunity to be asses.

DjKyRo
02-18-2016, 06:33 PM
Scott's definitely at the heart of this fanbase's connection to a very successful athletics program. His passion and professionalism is part of what makes gameday a top-notch presentation at NDSU and hearing that he's going through this is just heartbreaking. All the hope in the world to him.

ptrBison
02-20-2016, 12:33 AM
Scott's definitely at the heart of this fanbase's connection to a very successful athletics program. His passion and professionalism is part of what makes gameday a top-notch presentation at NDSU and hearing that he's going through this is just heartbreaking. All the hope in the world to him.
But
I've never met Scott, but what a seemingly nice person. Good thoughts to him!

HerdBot
02-20-2016, 01:44 AM
But
I've never met Scott, but what a seemingly nice person. Good thoughts to him!

Me neither but I've heard him on the radio for so many years, whether it's games or just doing radio shows, I feel like I do know him.

A1pigskin
02-20-2016, 01:17 PM
Prayers to Scott Miller.

IndyBison
02-20-2016, 02:51 PM
I remember Scott as the nerdy new sports guy in Minot and thought he would never last. He's done very well. I've never listened to him on the radio but it sounds like he is adored. I hope he gets well soon.

Gully
02-20-2016, 03:05 PM
I remember Scott as the nerdy new sports guy in Minot and thought he would never last. He's done very well. I've never listened to him on the radio but it sounds like he is adored. I hope he gets well soon.

I don't remember that.....what year(s) would he have been on in Minot?

IndyBison
02-20-2016, 03:56 PM
I don't remember that.....what year(s) would he have been on in Minot?

I'm pretty sure it was when I was in HS - late 80s. I was trying to confirm online. One article I found said he's a Minot native and has been in Fargo for 20 years so that fits.

Bison 4 Life
02-20-2016, 04:00 PM
Scott was in Grand Forks for a while. He was set to be the radio voice of the Grand Forks Varmints before he got the NDSU job in the mid 90's. We had to kind of scramble to find a new guy who turned out to be Jim Bohlman.

thundarsdaddy
02-20-2016, 04:10 PM

I remember him also. He would come to Rugby once in a while to cover games, just a gentleman always was and always will be. He literally brings the games alive for us listeners of his radio broadcast! He has become the standard of excellence.

Mr Meaty
02-20-2016, 04:55 PM
I remember him also. He would come to Rugby once in a while to cover games, just a gentleman always was and always will be. He literally brings the games alive for us listeners of his radio broadcast! He has become the standard of excellence.

Broadcaster Hall of Fame for Mr Miller

bloodmakesthegrassgrow
02-20-2016, 10:38 PM
The only thing I don't like is you are never (well I shouldn't say never) sure where the ball is on the field. To my way of thinking if the team on offense is in their own territory, the ball is advanced up to, or out to the increased yardline. NOT, down to the increased yardline. Down to, happens after they go beyond midfield. I think they foul that up on TV broadcasts too, but there you can see what's going on. And yes, on the radio, you can shortly figure out what's happened, but it's irritating.

SomeBeach
02-21-2016, 01:08 AM
The only thing I don't like is you are never (well I shouldn't say never) sure where the ball is on the field. To my way of thinking if the team on offense is in their own territory, the ball is advanced up to, or out to the increased yardline. NOT, down to the increased yardline. Down to, happens after they go beyond midfield. I think they foul that up on TV broadcasts too, but there you can see what's going on. And yes, on the radio, you can shortly figure out what's happened, but it's irritating.

THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one with this little hang-up....

BisonTeacher
02-21-2016, 01:48 AM

THANK YOU! I thought I was the only one with this little hang-up....

Apologies if Im reading this wrong...but IM not sure criticizing his play by play is appropriate in a thread about him fighting for his life.

bisoneer
02-21-2016, 02:01 AM

Prayers to you Scott Miller and a great big "my o my"! Get well soon buddy!

bisonfanette
02-21-2016, 02:10 AM

Wonderful post! we continue to think and pray for Scotty Miller!!!

CAS4127
02-21-2016, 02:13 AM

I think it boils down to the intellectual ability of the listener!! That's what I think. I've never had a problem conceptualizing/visualizing what Scotty is saying.

Your mileage may very (YMMV) depending on your abilities. Jussayin'!!

Sent from my iPhone.

Mr Meaty
02-21-2016, 02:32 AM
Scottie is a true legend in his craft. You can close your eyes and picture yourself at the game just by listening to his words.

BYZEN
02-21-2016, 02:38 AM
Two words for Scotty: "My Oh My"!!!
Sent from my Windows phone using Tapatalk

CAS4127
02-21-2016, 02:46 AM
Scottie is a true legend in his craft. You can close your eyes and picture yourself at the game just by listening to his words.

Perfectly stated!! Visualization-->he makes it easy!

Sent from my iPhone.

kristind
02-21-2016, 03:33 AM
Agreed! My friends used to joke that they knew I was "too far gone" when they saw me syncing up the local commentary with the national video feed......but let's be honest..it just doesn't get any better than hearing Scottie call the game... Praying for him and his family...

bisonfanette
02-21-2016, 03:38 AM

You can close your eyes and picture yourself at the game just by listening to his words!
Beautifully stated!

bloodmakesthegrassgrow
02-21-2016, 04:37 AM
I think it boils down to the intellectual ability of the listener!! That's what I think. I've never had a problem conceptualizing/visualizing what Scotty is saying.

Sent from my iPhone.

Like I said in my post, it's mostly just irritating. It just makes me stop for a second and say, huh. Justsayin!! And btw, even though I can see what's happened on the TV broadcast, it still irritates me when it's called that way.

For the most part I like Scotty's broadcasting and it goes without saying I wish him the best with his battle.

HerdBot
02-21-2016, 02:46 PM

Sent from my iPhone.

:rofl: ^^^

HerdBot
02-21-2016, 02:51 PM
Apologies if Im reading this wrong...but IM not sure criticizing his play by play is appropriate in a thread about him fighting for his life.

This. ^^^

StL Bison Fan
02-21-2016, 03:32 PM
The mother of my kids classmates had pancreatic cancer. As the time went by it came time to plan her funeral.
Today she could kick the behinds of most on this board.
To that end, I will never give up hope.
But, Scotty is really, really struggling. My thoughts are with him for a miracle, but also for peace.

ptrBison
02-21-2016, 03:41 PM

Sent from my iPhone.

Have to say that made me laugh at how accurate that it is.

A1pigskin
02-21-2016, 03:44 PM

Ditto........

SomeBeach
02-21-2016, 10:47 PM

Fair point.

I certainly didn't see or intend it as criticism... more so as a fact that struck an amusing chord with me....sorry if it came across any other way.

RadioBison
02-23-2016, 01:59 AM
Scotty is the best. I hope to hear him call many more games.

tony
02-24-2016, 07:16 PM
We have been blessed to have Scottie around.

Bison_Pride
02-24-2016, 07:19 PM
That absolutely sucks.

I'm hoping his family finds strength and comfort during this difficult time.

NDSUstudent
02-25-2016, 07:35 AM
Bison nation lost a great voice tonight...RIP Scotty...

KFGO's Scott Miller, voice of the Bison, dies at age 58
Thursday, February 25, 2016 1:27 a.m. CST

FARGO (KFGO) - Long time KFGO broadcaster Scott Miller has died of cancer.

Miller, the voice of the Bison and FM Redhawks, died at a Fargo hospital. He was first diagnosed with Melanoma in the spring of 2012. Despite rigorous treatment, the cancer spread progressively. Miller has been the play-by-play voice of NDSU football and basketball since 1996. He became the announcer for Redhawks baseball on 740 The Fan in 2006.

Miller, a two-time recipient of the North Dakota Associated Press Sportscaster of the Year Award, received several other state and regional honors during his lengthy career.

He grew up in Minot where he graduated from high school in 1976. His Bison broadcasts were heard on several radio stations in Minnesota and North Dakota with NDSU football broadcasts also carried by two stations in the Twin Cities.

Miller, known his signature "My oh My" calls on key plays, was surrounded by family at the time of his death. He was 58.

http://kfgo.com/news/articles/2016/feb/25/kfgos-scott-miller-voice-of-the-bison-dies-at-age-58/

Bison_Pride
02-25-2016, 07:37 AM
There will never be another My Oh My.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB7kO1xyuI4

NFH Schlüssel
02-25-2016, 07:54 AM
Thoughts & prayers go out to the Miller Family.

DjKyRo
02-25-2016, 08:26 AM
Man that is just unthinkable. Funny how some folks just seem larger than life...that was Scott. He'll be missed, that's certain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

GOBISON123
02-25-2016, 09:32 AM
This is terrible. This is painful man, simply painful. All I know is his voice and yet I feel much pain and so much loss ?

GOBISON123
02-25-2016, 09:35 AM
This is a huge void in the hearts and minds of a lot of people. Man why does this hurt so bad.

MNLonghorn10
02-25-2016, 09:56 AM
RIP Scott. This one hurts. Hell of a run he had there the last 7 years...man thatd be awesome to see everything he did, my oh my.

Kevin
02-25-2016, 10:18 AM
Absolutely soul crushing. Scotty will be impossible to replace in the booth and in the community.

My oh my, he made some great moments greater. RIP.

Mr Meaty
02-25-2016, 10:33 AM
RIP Scottie, you are in a place now where there is no sickness nor pain. You will be missed because of the person you were. The joy you brought your listeners over radio will never be match. My oh My this is sad news. God Bless you Scottie.

daddy daycare
02-25-2016, 10:44 AM
Thoughts are with your family and friends, Scotty. Never met you, but I fet like I knew you....one of the GOATS. Bison fans were lucky to have you. Rest in peace.

thundarsdaddy
02-25-2016, 10:45 AM
This is a huge void in the hearts and minds of a lot of people. Man why does this hurt so bad.

Nicely said, my feelings exactly. Maybe because Scottie Miller lived the Herd-Mentality as well as anyone...R.I.P. Scott Miller.

Mr Meaty
02-25-2016, 11:09 AM
Please please someone make a My oh My recording of Scottie greatest calls. The visual image he put in your mind while listening to him on the radio was unmatched.

scottietohottie
02-25-2016, 11:18 AM
:(My Oh My. :(

NovaBison
02-25-2016, 11:18 AM
Rest in peace Mr. Miller... this one definitely hurts! He will be missed... loved his play by play!

NDSU1980
02-25-2016, 11:20 AM
He will truly be missed. The Herd lost a great one

Jay
02-25-2016, 11:30 AM
Crushing. He was one of the greats. Rest in peace.

http://youtu.be/2CLHm7ha894

1998braves64
02-25-2016, 11:36 AM
RIP Scottie. I have to think he's had an awesome ride with bison the past 10 years as he's been at nearly all their triumphs since NDSU went to division I. I'd hoped some day he could have written a book about all the things he got to witness from his perspective. Will never hear a "My oh my" live again. Thoughts of comfort and peace for his family!
Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

NorthernBison
02-25-2016, 11:48 AM
A very sad day. Even when it's inevitable, there's nothing like the sadness you get when it becomes reality. You'll be greatly missed Scott.

Bisonville GasMan
02-25-2016, 11:56 AM
Very sad morning. When someone passes, I always think about the remaining family. How much grief they are feeling. I hope they find comfort and strength as they deal with their great loss.

As for our community and Bison nation, this is a great loss as well. Scott Miller has left very, very large shoes to fill. Rest in Peace, Scottie.

Bisonator98
02-25-2016, 11:58 AM
MY OH MY......

My condolences to Scotties family and all of Bison nation. We hurtin.......but we can take solace in the fact that at least Scotties in a better place now.

Vet70
02-25-2016, 11:59 AM
Bison games will never be the same---God bless Scottie and his family.

onbison09
02-25-2016, 12:06 PM
Part of my childhood has left. This is my favorite call ever (Are you kidding me??)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3XO4QBO4iY

Wally
02-25-2016, 12:15 PM
What a bleeping gut punch man. I never met Scott, but it feels like I lost a brother. Thoughts and prayers to Scott's family. RIP Scott.

F*** cancer.

tjbison
02-25-2016, 12:18 PM
Shit.......this really sucks

IBleedYellow
02-25-2016, 12:20 PM
Oh, My.

The Herd lost one of our greats. Rest in peace, Scottie. Thanks for all of the great calls.

wtffootballfan
02-25-2016, 12:22 PM
RIP Scott. This is another sad day in Fargo.

BYZEN
02-25-2016, 12:24 PM
Very sad morning. When someone passes, I always think about the remaining family. How much grief they are feeling. I hope they find comfort and strength as they deal with their great loss.

As for our community and Bison nation, this is a great loss as well. Scott Miller has left very, very large shoes to fill. Rest in Peace, Scottie.

My-Oh-My ^^^^^ you nailed it from downtown!

My deepest condolences to the Miller family on your loss. Scott was a great ambassador for the Bison, Red Hawks and Fargo / North Dakota.

bisoneer
02-25-2016, 12:24 PM
Oh, My.

The Herd lost one of our greats. Rest in peace, Scottie. Thanks for all of IV the great calls.

Very sad, he will be greatly missed. He did an excellent job of calling a game, especially for the Bison.

tony
02-25-2016, 12:26 PM
Scottie was the best.

BisoninNWMN
02-25-2016, 12:27 PM
Great announcer for the Bison. He will be missed.

BisonNeil
02-25-2016, 12:30 PM
Hard to believe that less than 8 weeks ago he did the national championship game. What I wouldn't give to hear his voice dubbed over the YouTube video of the game as a way to remember him this weekend.

RIP Scottie. RIP.

Professor Chaos
02-25-2016, 12:31 PM
What a bleeping gut punch man. I never met Scott, but it feels like I lost a brother. Thoughts and prayers to Scott's family. RIP Scott.

F*** cancer.
Well put. I never met Scott either but I've listened to him enough over the last 20 years that I felt like I knew him.

RIP Scott, Bison football (and basketball) will never sound the same again without him.

THEsocalledfan
02-25-2016, 12:37 PM

Cried like a baby watching that. RIP Scottie.

MNLonghorn10
02-25-2016, 12:40 PM

Great tribute. He saw so many great teams yet carried himself with so much humbleness and class every time you heard him whether it's a game or he's talking to someone on kfgo or the fan.

CalBison97
02-25-2016, 12:41 PM
Part of my childhood has left. This is my favorite call ever (Are you kidding me??)

I was there, imagining how Scotty called it, and couldn't wait to get home to hear his call of that monumental comeback. Goosebumps! Same with all 5 of our titles...waiting for the audio replay to get released so I could watch it "with Scotty." Sad sad day(s) for Bison Nation. He will be missed tremendously. THE best! Thoughts and prayers to the Miller family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IzzyFlexion
02-25-2016, 12:47 PM
Terrible news for Bison Nation.

What a talented broadcaster.

He had a unique way of portraying excitement perfectly.

I was always impressed when he even provided an elevated and almost celebratory voice when something exciting happened for the opponent. What a pro.

Rest in peace Scottie.

Professor Chaos
02-25-2016, 01:12 PM
Say what you will about Mike McFeely but he's a damn talented writer. This tribute to Scottie is a thing of beauty and should be read by anyone feeling a little emptier this morning: http://www.inforum.com/news/3955850-mcfeely-voice-bison-yes-above-all-else-scott-miller-was-good-man

EDIT: The video embedded at the beginning of the article is a tear jerker also.

Bison Loaf
02-25-2016, 01:15 PM
Bison Nation is 71-5 with 5 straight championships in the last 5 years, yet...........................let no one say that we are incapable of experiencing a crushing loss.

Today is one of those days. And we'll feel it for a long, long time. :(

The_Sicatoka
02-25-2016, 01:22 PM
Condolences to the Miller family and all of Scott's friends.

And the same to all those who enjoyed his broadcasts.

Kujava23
02-25-2016, 01:27 PM
Bison lost a member of its family. RIP Scott Miller----Till we see you in
heaven---My ears will be ringing with My Oh My's

BISONBRI53
02-25-2016, 01:32 PM
Great tribute. He saw so many great teams yet carried himself with so much humbleness and class every time you heard him whether it's a game or he's talking to someone on kfgo or the fan.

Very true. We were up at the airport this year to greet the team when they got back from TX. Scottie was one of the first people off the plane. I said hello to him and told him great job and thank you. He just smiled, Thanked me, shook my hand and kept walking. Great guy.

bisonp
02-25-2016, 01:33 PM
RIP Scottie, you'll be missed.

GRAFTONBISON
02-25-2016, 01:34 PM
RIP Scottie, this one really hurts.

pucknut9
02-25-2016, 01:42 PM
RIP Mr Miller. You were one of the best.

CAS4127
02-25-2016, 01:46 PM
What made Scottie so great was how genuine he was. He loved what he was doing and wasn't ashamed to show it. There was no feigned interest when interviewing opposing coaches or administrators, only genuine interest and excitement just getting to talk to them. To say he was genuine in his broadcasting of Bison sports is probably an understatement.

A true professional and a wonderful person.

Godspeed, Scottie!!

Sent from my iPhone.

HandoEX
02-25-2016, 01:48 PM
Wow, this one hurts! I never had the opportunity to meet Scott but felt like I knew him after listening to him call so many Bison road games over his time in Fargo. He was a blessing for Bison athletics in so many ways and will never be forgotten. Rest easy, Scott!

tcbison
02-25-2016, 01:48 PM
Very sad to her this. Only met Scottie once and it was when NDSU was transitioning to DI and he was telling me how good Ben Woodside was going to be when he was redshirting. I am always amazed at how fast a disease like cancer takes a life. RIP Scottie and to everyone here hug your family tight when you are with them.

HandoEX
02-25-2016, 01:53 PM

One of the most perfect calls ever. I remember listening to Scott call this game on the radio, painting the perfect picture of one of the best comebacks ever. Just perfect. Thanks for posting!

cbline
02-25-2016, 01:56 PM
Scott deserves a place in the NDSU Hall of Fame. Are there any other broadcasters who have that honor? Is the Hall open to only players, coaches, and staff members? If so, Scott is certainly worthy of an exception. Rest in peace.

MOTBison
02-25-2016, 01:56 PM
After I graduated college I spent a number of years traveling for work, the only way I was able to hear the game was through Scott's eyes. It was almost as good as watching the game in person, so many great memories. 2007 comeback at Cal Poly

wow
02-25-2016, 02:00 PM
Sad news. RIP Mr. Miller, prayers to his loved ones and Bison nation.

WYOBISONMAN
02-25-2016, 02:03 PM
Wow! Truly the greatest Bison broadcaster ever. It will never be the same listening to Bison games again. What a huge hole in the NDSU family and in Fargo-Moorhead. My sympathy and prayers to all friends and family and especially the crews at KFGO and WDAY that had worked with him.

Professor Chaos
02-25-2016, 02:03 PM
Scott deserves a place in the NDSU Hall of Fame. Are there any other broadcasters who have that honor? Is the Hall open to only players, coaches, and staff members? If so, Scott is certainly worthy of an exception. Rest in peace.
I don't see why not. It's NDSU's HOF so they should be able to put in whoever they want and Scottie would be about as deserving as you could be for what he did for the NDSU brand.

It's a shame the Bison basketball teams don't have home games this week to give the fans a chance to show our appreciation. That may have to wait for the Redhawks home opener in a few months and the football home opener next August/September.

tjbison
02-25-2016, 02:09 PM
great coverage on WDAY by Mcfeeley, Saul is on now, Gene was on

aces1180
02-25-2016, 02:11 PM
He was such a nice guy. My interactions with him during my time at NDSU were always great.

MY OH MY

Herd890
02-25-2016, 02:13 PM
Very Sad, Scotty was the best. Silky smooth broadcaster who never lost a beat. My thoughts go out to the Miller family today. Fargo and NDSU truly lost a legend.

I hope the team considers a 'My Oh My' patch on our jerseys next year to pay tribute as he has meant that much to Bison athletics.

GFBison
02-25-2016, 02:13 PM
I still remember the day they announced Scott Miller was the new Broadcast man for the Bison. I think that was the best trade in the history of broadcasting. I will miss his broadcast. He had the most sincere voice and a air of fairness. Even though you may not of known him he came across as your friend always. Rest in peace Scotty.

HoopsBison
02-25-2016, 02:14 PM
Thoughts and prayers to the Miller family. This is a real punch in the gut to Bison Nation.

bisonfanette
02-25-2016, 02:14 PM

Wouldn't this be incredible! He touched all of Bison Nation. Rest in Peace Scottie Miller.

tjbison
02-25-2016, 02:15 PM
Please please someone make a My oh My recording of Scottie greatest calls. The visual image he put in your mind while listening to him on the radio was unmatched.

wday will have one on shortly

Bison"FANatic"
02-25-2016, 02:26 PM
Being a AG school in a AG state with our main sport during the fall during harvest. Many many games by many many people were painted in their minds by the artist Scotty Miller. He was a master of his craft!!!! Rest well Scotty, Rest well.

Bisonator98
Very Sad, Scotty was the best. Silky smooth broadcaster who never lost a beat. My thoughts go out to the Miller family today. Fargo and NDSU truly lost a legend.

I hope the team considers a 'My Oh My' patch on our jerseys next year to pay tribute as he has meant that much to Bison athletics.

That's a great idea. And yes Scottie deserves a spot in the Bison HOF.

ptrBison
I still remember the day they announced Scott Miller was the new Broadcast man for the Bison. I think that was the best trade in the history of broadcasting. I will miss his broadcast. He had the most sincere voice and a air of fairness. Even though you may not of known him he came across as your friend always. Rest in peace Scotty.

It's becoming more apparent that I missed knowing a great guy.

Professor Chaos
02-25-2016, 02:27 PM
The Redhawks announced that they're naming the pressbox at Newman after Scott Miller. Classy move.

EDIT: Redhawks GM Josh Buchholz was just on the McFeely show saying they're dedicating the pressbox at the home opener on 5/27. Good single game tickets are available now: http://www.etix.com/ticket/p/7578067/fargomoorhead-redhawks-vswichita-wingnuts-fargo-newman-outdoor-field-fargomoorhead-redhawks

Bison"FANatic"
02-25-2016, 02:31 PM
KFGO just had Matt on talking about Scott Miller and it sounds like they are going to have Gene Taylor and Craig Bohl and others on this AM talking and telling stories about Mr. Miller.

thundarsdaddy
02-25-2016, 02:35 PM
Wouldn't this be incredible! He touched all of Bison Nation. Rest in Peace Scottie Miller.

I consider the best of Scottie Miller, was when a video highlight would come on, from a game shown on ESPN, for example, but it was Scottie"s audio...THAT to me was the best!!!

Farmer63
02-25-2016, 02:46 PM
I have this Norman Rockwell moment in my head of harvest on the farm. The combine is humming picking up swaths of wheat in the background. I'm sitting in the shade beside the truck with the door open, radio tuned into a scratchy AM station. Waiting for the next hopper dump, I'm listening to the Bison game.... Scotty's voice.... "My Oh My"!

aces1180
02-25-2016, 02:50 PM
The Redhawks announced that they're naming the pressbox at Newman after Scott Miller. Classy move.

My guess is NDSU does something similar. We'll see a huge tribute during the home opener this fall too.

HandoEX
02-25-2016, 03:00 PM
Craig Bohl up next on KFGO

No_Skill
02-25-2016, 03:04 PM
I remember back before all of the games were televised, listening to each of the games on the radio. Scott had a gift for making you feel like you were there in person. I'm grateful for all the hard work he put in to help bring the games into my home. I'm gonna miss listening to his calls.

acf2
02-25-2016, 03:05 PM
Prayers for his family. He was an excellent announcer.

tjbison
02-25-2016, 03:06 PM
craig Bohl on 790 right now

tjbison
02-25-2016, 03:15 PM
craig had a great interview...really imressive the old coaches had stayed in contact with scott

IBleedYellow
02-25-2016, 03:27 PM
What did Coach Bohl say?

stevdock
02-25-2016, 03:43 PM
That's a great idea. And yes Scottie deserves a spot in the Bison HOF.

I don't know if the Bison HOF has a waiting period like say MLB or NFL but I would push for this to be an immediate entry as in next fall.

aces1180
02-25-2016, 03:48 PM
I don't know if the Bison HOF has a waiting period like say MLB or NFL but I would push for this to be an immediate entry as in next fall.

Usually 15 years for athletes...He'll be in next fall.

thundarsdaddy
02-25-2016, 03:51 PM

Great idea folks...no waiting time...just put him in!

BisoninNWMN
02-25-2016, 03:52 PM
Usually 15 years for athletes...He'll be in next fall.

As he should be....:)

aces1180
02-25-2016, 03:53 PM
As he should be....:)

Absolutely.

Professor Chaos
02-25-2016, 03:57 PM
What did Coach Bohl say?

Basically he said that Scottie was a "top shelf guy" to put it in his words. He admired how dignified, professional, and respectful SM was in going about his business which he said are traits many people inside the media profession and out of it could use more of. He appreciated that especially given the close of a working relationship he (being Bohl) had with him during their weekly call-in show and numerous interviews during or shortly after games. He also said that Scottie was "cut from a better cloth" than he and Heitkamp (who did the interview) were. It sounded like Bohl hasn't been back in the area very much since taking over at Wyoming but when he has been back he's visited with Scottie.

El_Chapo
02-25-2016, 04:02 PM
Im honoring Scottie Miller by jumping in a car with Handox to SDSU today.

I sure hope SDSU gives him a moment of silence !!

BisonCardinal
02-25-2016, 04:12 PM
RIP Scott Miller

The thing I liked about Scott was his consistency. He had that desirable cadence on how he described the play and the game. You knew he would talk about the important aspects of the play.

Thomas96
02-25-2016, 04:13 PM
RIP Scottie. You will be missed. My oh my.

Opie11
02-25-2016, 04:28 PM
I have this Norman Rockwell moment in my head of harvest on the farm. The combine is humming picking up swaths of wheat in the background. I'm sitting in the shade beside the truck with the door open, radio tuned into a scratchy AM station. Waiting for the next hopper dump, I'm listening to the Bison game.... Scotty's voice.... "My Oh My"!

Same for me. Quite a few of the early season games were seen through Scotty's eyes over the years as we combined. As well as pretty much all of them before they started televising all of them a few years ago. Not to mention a few lazy Saturday afternoon games in the badlands, half napping in the pickup after hiking after deer all morning in November. Going to miss him!

Opie

1998braves64
02-25-2016, 04:42 PM

He was just enough homer to keep the home fans happy but also have props to other teams when due.

The cal poly game sticks out too with the "are you kidding me" quote. That was a game I nearly didn't finish listening to, my wife had stuck a fork in them. Luckily I kept listening and we both got to hear the ending. Trying to remember many other games I've listened to live, obviously many dubbed videos, that stick out. Most of the other recent wild ending games were at home or on tv...

Gopher game III with the Marcus pick 6 that sealed the game is about the only one off to of my head.

NDSUBowler
02-25-2016, 05:01 PM
The fact that NDSU has had so much success during Scott Miller's run on the radio is what makes this feel like it hits home. We all feel a tie...a connection...to NDSU, especially athletics and Scott was instrumental in tying us to the program. Every time we look up highlights of old games because we want to relive a great moment in our life as a fan, we get to hear his passion and excitement and we feel the extra connection to the program. He will forever remain a symbol of everything great that has happened to NDSU over the two decades.

He was the glue between us, the fans, and Bison Athletics. A direct tie to our happiness and love for the program.

When I think of great NDSU moments, I hear Scott Miller in my head. He will always be a part of NDSU as those moments, and his love for NDSU, will live on forever.

A1pigskin
02-25-2016, 05:03 PM
Blessings to the Miller Family. Scott was one of the great ones...... The "My Oh My" will live on forever and probably become a trivia question.

A1pigskin
02-25-2016, 05:05 PM
The next person up has some big shoes to fill. Scott was talented at his craft. God Bless Scott Miller.

tjbison
02-25-2016, 05:07 PM
The next person up has some big shoes to fill. Scott was talented at his craft. God Bless Scott Miller.

Jack Michaels I'm sure

SUBISON247
02-25-2016, 05:36 PM

I hope the team considers a 'My Oh My' patch on our jerseys next year to pay tribute as he has meant that much to Bison athletics.6858 6859

Maybe a little bit like this. I don't have the true font but this is in the ballpark.

1998braves64
02-25-2016, 06:02 PM
Jack Michaels I'm sure

Meh... Jack was ok as a fill in but I'm not sure he could achieve the level that Scott did? Just going off of games I've heard him call when Scott was out or had another game going on at the same time. He's been play by play for awhile so it's not like he's new to it and has a lot of room for improvement. But then it's like going from Herb Carneal and Jon Gordon combo to Corey Probus (sp?) and Dan Gladden combo? I probably live with it but he likely will not be as endearing to the fans as Scottie was.

tjbison
02-25-2016, 06:04 PM
Meh... Jack was ok as a fill in but I'm not sure he could achieve the level that Scott did? Just going off of games I've heard him call when Scott was out or had another game going on at the same time. He's been play by play for awhile so it's not like he's new to it and has a lot of room for improvement. But then it's like going from Herb Carneal and Jon Gordon combo to Corey Probus (sp?) and Dan Gladden combo? I probably live with it but he likely will not be as endearing to the fans as Scottie was.
Trust me I'm not on the JM bandwagon

But that's for another day to discuss and a different thread

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

BisManBison
02-25-2016, 06:38 PM
A sad day indeed for Bison Nation.

May God hold you in the palm of His hand Scottie Miller.

THEsocalledfan
02-25-2016, 06:40 PM
Reflection on what Scott Miller meant to me

Like many Bison fans, I never got to meet Scott Miller. Yes, I saw him in person many times, but never had a conversation with him. From everything I have read, he was clearly a wonderful human being who touched the lives of many in more substantial ways than how he touched my life.

Yet, what a legacy he has left in Bison broadcasting. The reality is he DID touch so many of our lives and I suspect even he did not fully realize this before his passing. I’d like just to tell my own story and how Scott touched my life.

I am a lifelong Bison fan; the son of an alumni and having grown up the 1980’s during the incredible run they had. I used to listen to every game in high school (prior to Scott). I then attended NDSU and closely followed each and every game.

I admit, after graduation from NDSU, and undergoing more post graduate training in the Twin Cities, I did not follow NDSU as closely for a few years. I maybe streamed one-two games in 4 years, and traveled up to the UND game each year. I would not even have known who Scott Miller was at that time even though he was working games. But like many things associated with NDSU, everything changed for me when they went Division 1.

At the same time of the move up, I moved to Duluth, MN. Streaming was no longer a new thing, and NDSU even started tinkering with video streaming around that time. The Division 1 move completely changed my apathetic attitude like I suspect it did many others. I so wanted to see them succeed as I thought the move was so long overdue. I started streaming games more regularly. Of course the voice I heard was Scott Miller.

2006 was a year that will stand out as a watershed moment for many Bison fans; it is also the year that reverted me to the complete crazy fan of my youth, including college. I, like many, travelled to Minneapolis hoping to have a good time, pretty excited the Bison were getting a chance to play the Gophers. But everything changed for me that day. Suddenly, I started to fully understand what was possible despite the loss. I realized NDSU was on the cusp of dominance once again. I watched or listened to basically every single Bison game starting at that time.

So there I was, in an unfinished room in the basement every Saturday streaming every game. My kids were too little to appreciate football, and my wife was not interested. So I was by myself, or so I thought. In retrospect, Scott Miller was with me.

My most vivid memory was listening to the 2007 Sam Houston State game completely despaired that NDSU seemed to be destined to defeat. Then, two of the most improbably plays in Bison history happened, and NDSU wins. The joy of the moment literally came through the computer speakers. And who was it that described the scene? Scott Miller

My point is Scott Miller was there for all of us who could not be at every game. His voice was flawless; his excitement real, his delivery, perfect. He was the friend who took us to the game when we could not be there.

So, all of you business folks who were on the road, so you could not get to every game;

All of you North Dakotans who could not watch the games before the TV days;

All of you transplants in other states who started following the Bison more closely due to streaming and the D1 move;

All of you younger fans who have watched the numerous You Tube clips NDSU has put out with Scott’s voice;

All of you famers who were busy bringing the harvest listening to the Bison;

When you get home tonight, raise a toast to the memory of Scott Miller. Ask your spouse, kids and other family to say prayers for the family of Scott Miller for comfort and support. Say a prayer for all those associated with NDSU who are hurting due to his passing. And finally, say a prayer of Thanksgiving to the Lord for giving us Scott Miller.

Scott, I hope you know how you touched all of our lives for the better.

Answer Guy
02-25-2016, 06:41 PM
I am always amazed at how fast a disease like cancer takes a life.

Melanoma is a nasty way to go. RIP, Mr. Miller.

rabidrabbit
02-25-2016, 06:42 PM
http://www.inforum.com/news/3955847-scott-miller-voice-bison-dies-57

Saw this posted at SDSUfans.com, and shook this Rabbit up. His passion and call of the NDSU games will be sorely missed. My heart goes out to his Family, and the Bison fans.

Respectfully,
RabidRabbit

FrozenTech
02-25-2016, 07:13 PM
God needed a new Play by Play man. He got the best. Rest in Peace Scotty. We'll miss you.

Bison4Life
02-25-2016, 07:38 PM
Something that sticks out in my mind was back in the Rod Malone days and he was having a huge day and Scottie said something like wheels on the milk truck go round and round. I remember one of my friends calling me and first thing he said to me was wheels on the milk truck go round and round. Always seemed to have the right words for the right time like from a ferry tale finish to a magical season or to how sweet the 4-peat, to setting the so called tone on the opening of the radio broadcast in how big of a game it was the bison were in that would make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. It just wont be the same.

HoopsBison
02-25-2016, 07:38 PM
Got a chance to watch both NDSU athletics and WDAY videos paying tribute to Scotty and both were fantastically done. Hope that his signature My Oh My sticks with Bison football and basketball going forward. Scotty loved his craft and worked very had at it, one of the greats and Bison Nation was lucky to have him!

perthbison
02-25-2016, 08:08 PM
Melanoma is a nasty way to go. RIP, Mr. Miller.

Yep, I know a little more than I care to about Malanoma. I didn't know Scott had been battling it til recently. RIP Mr Miller and thanks for the memories.

Wally
02-25-2016, 08:18 PM
Perhaps the answer to my question is common knowledge but I was thinking about this on my drive to my meetings today, how and when did 'My Oh My' originate? My guess is that it came about organically and it stuck, but wasn't sure.

Man, this just sucks.

EndZoneQB
02-25-2016, 08:20 PM
Perhaps the answer to my question is common knowledge but I was thinking about this on my drive to my meetings today, how and when did 'My Oh My' originate? My guess is that it came about organically and it stuck, but wasn't sure.

Man, this just sucks.

I didn't always listen to the radio, but one of the first times I remember hearing it was the Cal-Poly come back game in...06?

cbline
02-25-2016, 08:32 PM
I didn't always listen to the radio, but one of the first times I remember hearing it was the Cal-Poly come back game in...06?

. . . .but when I do, I prefer Scott Miller.

NDSUstudent
02-25-2016, 08:33 PM
I worked for NDSU as an intern for a year, talked to Scotty a few times. Just a great humble down to earth guy. So sad to see him go so young, I grew up listening to him call Bison games it won't be the same listening to anybody else. Just a sad day.

CAS4127
02-25-2016, 08:36 PM

Man, this just sucks.

My hunch is it was a saying used by at least one of his parents or his family in general and it stuck with him.

Similar to some here who post/say "My goodness" often.

Sent from my iPhone.

CAS4127
02-25-2016, 08:44 PM
http://www.inforum.com/news/3955847-scott-miller-voice-bison-dies-57

Saw this posted at SDSUfans.com, and shook this Rabbit up. His passion and call of the NDSU games will be sorely missed. My heart goes out to his Family, and the Bison fans.

Respectfully,
RabidRabbit

Very solid of you. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone.

Mr Meaty
02-25-2016, 08:45 PM
Scottie's words on the pregame videos for bison football always set the table perfectly.

OrygunBison
02-25-2016, 08:54 PM
I moved away from Fargo in mid 1995. I had been a die hard NDSU FB fan for the better part of 12 years by that time. Because I was so far away, I naturally drifted from my connection with the program. As technology improved my ability to listen to/watch games remotely, Scotty totally reeled me back in. He's fully responsible for my re-connection to this remarkable program. His passion and excitement, and the clear love that he had for his craft, made me feel like and integral part of the moment. Every. Single. Time. Scotty was talking to ME all these times. He knew I needed him.

I remember so many games that I watched via webcast. They used the video from those shitty little screens in the corners of the FFD and overlaid the radio guys for audio. Frankly, it couldn't have been much more perfect...even with the poor picture quality. For away games, I'd buy the opposing team's webcast and still overlay Scotty and Phil for audio. Even when ESPN3 came into the picture, I would often pull Scotty back in because HE made it special for me.

I'm sitting in my office here in Portland with my staff all around me and I am actually a bit self-conscious about how much this affects me.

Scotty was one in a million.

MY OH MY.

heffray
02-25-2016, 10:02 PM
This sucks. TSCF called it, it feels weird to admit that this loss hurts because I never knew the guy, but man, my emotions rose and fell on the tenor of his voice for many Saturdays. Damn, I'll miss that guy.

I hope the new person they get to call the games finds a way to pay tribute to Scottie during the broadcast. Maybe using "My oh my" every now and then, or something. Either way, I'll be looking for it.

WFBisonFan
02-25-2016, 10:49 PM
I have a feeling that there will be a (SM) sticker on the helmet. I may be wrong, but I don't recall any time where a patch has been used on the jersey as a memorial.

He's a HOFer in my book as well. Unbelievably consistent in his broadcasts and the picture he painted with his voice was never in question. RIP Scotty.

tjbison
02-25-2016, 11:22 PM
This sucks. TSCF called it, it feels weird to admit that this loss hurts because I never knew the guy, but man, my emotions rose and fell on the tenor of his voice for many Saturdays. Damn, I'll miss that guy.

I hope the new person they get to call the games finds a way to pay tribute to Scottie during the broadcast. Maybe using "My oh my" every now and then, or something. Either way, I'll be looking for it.

I really hope they don't use his quote, that's Scott's legacy, don't want to see someone else ride his contribution

RadioBison
02-26-2016, 12:55 AM
Scott Miller was a class act all the way. He will be sorely missed. RIP

1998braves64
02-26-2016, 01:06 AM

Man, this just sucks.

I know I've heard him say it back in early 2000s... Maybe even late 90s... As I didn't follow much from 2000-2004 other than a random time or two.

Remembered another live game call the Wisconsin Bball game you could hear the inflection of his voice that he knew that it was going to be a huge win for the bison. I only got to listen to about the last 5 mins of the game.

bisoningrandforks
02-26-2016, 01:13 AM
RIP....Scott Miller.......I never new him, but what an announcer.....my oh my!!...sent chills down my spine every time....he was one of a kind and will be missed

kristind
02-26-2016, 01:40 AM
Another fan here who felt like Scottie was family even though I never met him. I grew up listening to his calls and there was just no one better. If the game was on ESPN, it was always on mute and Scottie's audio synched to the feed....the few times it wouldn't work, there was a noticeably different feel to the game...he had a way of bringing so much excitement and intensity....I know the game will play on but it's hard to imagine it without him....Rest in peace dear Scottie...

Bison03
02-26-2016, 03:22 AM
Won't be easy to replace. Truly the best at what he did; and he worked harder then anyone to be the best. With every big win, if I didn't hear it live, i couldn't wait to hear Scottie call it. Listening to Scottie call Bison games these years with all of their success was like having the best soundtrack at the best party. Only one time did I ever have an interaction with him. It was in 2009 in Sioux Falls after Woody hit the shot to send us to the dance. It was after the nets were cut, and people were beginning to file out. I was still in a state of joy and shock for the great game I had just watched. I see Scottie waking accross the floor and and I yell, "Hey Scottie, I hope you had a good "My Oh My" tonight." He stopped, game me a smile and simply said, "Absolutly." Later I heard the call, and sure enough, a great historic moment in NDSU history narrated beautifully by the best. Going to every Bison home football game and watching the road games, I hadn't heard Scottie call an entire game in a while. This November, I was hunting during the Youngstown game. As I went to go sit and watch for deer that late afternoon, I grabbed my phone to listen to the end of the game. Sitting in the beautiful North Dakota wilderness, watching the sun go down, and listening to Scottie paint the pictures from the game as he did so well; man, there was nothing better. NDSU athletics and Bison Nation are a strong body, and today they lost it's powerful voice. Rest in peace Scottie. We will miss you. You are in a better place now. My...oh...my.

Portlandbison
02-26-2016, 03:54 AM
I know I've heard him say it back in early 2000s... Maybe even late 90s... As I didn't follow much from 2000-2004 other than a random time or two.

Remembered another live game call the Wisconsin Bball game you could hear the inflection of his voice that he knew that it was going to be a huge win for the bison. I only got to listen to about the last 5 mins of the game.

Totally spit balling here but he may have got it from Dave niehaus the former Mariners broadcaster who used "my oh my" call as a play off former co-workers Dick Enbergs "oh my" call.
I'm guessing Miller may have heard Niehaus in his time out west, but again purely speculating

North Side
02-26-2016, 04:16 AM
My oh my! Rip

HerdBot
02-26-2016, 04:48 AM
Great write up by McFeely. I have never heard the audio of Scotty doing play by play of the streaker at USD in Sioux Falls. If anyone has that clip, it would be priceless.

HerdBot
02-26-2016, 05:12 AM
I gotta say I'm not normally a real emotional guy but but listening to the radio tributes and old highlights made me tear up like a little girl. (Especially the one that had the Slade song, My Oh My.)

Damn we lost a good one. Scotty could have been a Big Ten, NFL, or MLB announcer. Luckily he fell in love with our city and remained loyal. There will never be another Scotty Miller. You will live on forever in spirit and your radio calls will be heard forever by Bison Nation. Rest in peace.

DjKyRo
02-26-2016, 06:07 AM
Wonder if they'll do some kind of tribute at the home opener next season.

tjbison
02-26-2016, 10:03 AM

Count on it

cbline
02-26-2016, 10:47 AM

Yes, and here is my prediction: absolute silence in the crowd and not a dry eye in the place. It would be so fitting to have clips on the new big screens of great plays in this D-I era along with Scott's play-by-play. He will forever be a part of all those great memories.

Damn I will miss him on the KFGO post-game show. We would get to our car ASAP at the Dome to hear his wrap-up.

1998braves64
02-26-2016, 11:49 AM
Crazy thing is I don't know if I've heard his call the Woodside shot in 2009 that sent NDSU dancing?

THEsocalledfan
02-26-2016, 12:01 PM
In recent years, since I was streaming, I did not get to hear his calls much. But like others, I always had him on after the game, either in Sioux Falls, or at the game itself. I think a special memory for me in recent years were the game review You Tube's that NDSU started putting out. They always opened with Scottie's "set up" piece. They are always so blasted good.

Professor Chaos
02-26-2016, 02:09 PM
Great write up by McFeely. I have never heard the audio of Scotty doing play by play of the streaker at USD in Sioux Falls. If anyone has that clip, it would be priceless.
It wasn't that time actually. Jack Michaels talked about it on his show yesterday. Apparently it was back in the late 90s or very early 2000s when the Bison were still D2 and they were in Mankato. Apparently this streaker was buck naked whereas the one in Sioux Falls at least had the courtesy to wear a speedo and a cape (if that image is burned into my mind correctly).

I want to hear about the Bourbon Street story that McFeely alluded to in his article and on his show yesterday. From what I gather it was when a normally close to the vest Scottie let her rip a little on his personal time during a road trip.

Crazy thing is I don't know if I've heard his call the Woodside shot in 2009 that sent NDSU dancing?
Dom posted it on the Bison Media Blog: http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/rest-easy-scotty/

The audio is distorted which takes away from it a bit but still a great call nonetheless.

cbline
02-26-2016, 02:40 PM
Regarding that Walker-to-Heckendorf pass versus SHSU: lots of people left early thinking it was a Bison loss. I contend that the noise on that TD pass was the loudest per person in the Dome's history. Sure, there were louder games to come, but that night EVERYONE who was left yelled like mad. Can never get enough of that clip and Scott's call of the play.

thundarsdaddy
02-26-2016, 02:50 PM
Regarding that Walker-to-Heckendorf pass versus SHSU: lots of people left early thinking it was a Bison loss. I contend that the noise on that TD pass was the loudest per person in the Dome's history. Sure, there were louder games to come, but that night EVERYONE who was left yelled like mad. Can never get enough of that clip and Scott's call of the play.

Amen to this. I was not only still at the game, I was recording with my cam-corder(ok that already sounds old), got the whole pass play recorded, but I never stopped it, so I got the P.A.T. also, and even THEN the crowd erupted again!! Loudest-per-person? I dont doubt that one bit!
Showing the FCS world we can play with the "big-guns" of FCS football helped make it loud.
Showing we can play with and stay with and beat a SHSU team QB'ed by a big-name QB made it loud.
Plus...it was Bison Fans being Bison Fans...Getting LOUD!!!

Flow 2-3-4-5
02-26-2016, 03:19 PM
I really hope they don't use his quote, that's Scott's legacy, don't want to see someone else ride his contribution

I am sure whoever calls Bison FB and BB games going forward will have their own style and catch phrases - imitating Scottie during the broadcast just wouldn't have the same impact IMO.

What I would suggest and hope for is that in the radio post game show they have a Scottie Miller "My oh My" moment of the game. They could then play the highlight followed by an audio clip of Scott exclaiming "My, oh My!!"

BisonFanAnn
02-26-2016, 03:23 PM
I am sure whoever calls Bison FB and BB games going forward will have their own style and catch phrases - imitating Scottie during the broadcast just wouldn't have the same impact IMO.

What I would suggest and hope for is that in the radio post game show they have a Scottie Miller "My oh My" moment of the game. They could then play the highlight followed by an audio clip of Scott exclaiming "My, oh My!!"

That would be great!

cbline
02-26-2016, 03:30 PM

How about someone printing Scotty "My, oh my!" shirts with the proceeds going to the Roger Maris Center, or some such cancer unit???

tjbison
02-26-2016, 03:50 PM

This here would be great

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Bisonator98
02-26-2016, 04:00 PM

Great idea!

BISONBRI53
02-26-2016, 05:16 PM
Yes, and here is my prediction: absolute silence in the crowd and not a dry eye in the place. It would be so fitting to have clips on the new big screens of great plays in this D-I era along with Scott's play-by-play. He will forever be a part of all those great memories.

Damn I will miss him on the KFGO post-game show. We would get to our car ASAP at the Dome to hear his wrap-up.

Maybe do something like the Yankees and Jeter did with their announcer after he passed. When Jeter came to bat they used his voice to announce him... Maybe something like that in the intro video. The big calls, the my oh my's, the magical ending to a magical season etc etc.

tony
02-26-2016, 06:00 PM
There was a time I might have worried that the NDSU athletic department would not do a fitting tribute to somebody like Scotty... however, they've been exceeding expectations all the time lately.

Hammerhead
02-26-2016, 06:14 PM
Heard this on KFGO -- a nice hashtag for the six-peat is #sixforScottie.

BFKasper14
02-26-2016, 06:18 PM
How about someone printing Scotty "My, oh my!" shirts with the proceeds going to the Roger Maris Center, or some such cancer unit???

I would DEFINITELY buy one!

TransAmBison
02-26-2016, 07:02 PM
Heard this on KFGO -- a nice hashtag for the six-peat is #sixforScottie.And there you have it...couldn't imagine anything better.

A1pigskin
02-26-2016, 10:10 PM

I like this.

A1pigskin
02-26-2016, 10:13 PM
Something that sticks out in my mind was back in the Rod Malone days and he was having a huge day and Scottie said something like wheels on the milk truck go round and round. I remember one of my friends calling me and first thing he said to me was wheels on the milk truck go round and round. Always seemed to have the right words for the right time like from a ferry tale finish to a magical season or to how sweet the 4-peat, to setting the so called tone on the opening of the radio broadcast in how big of a game it was the bison were in that would make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. It just wont be the same.

He was a Masters Master....

X-Factor
02-26-2016, 11:12 PM
Thanks for posting this! It was the EXACT play that I immediately thought of regarding Scott. Legendary. So sad to hear about his fight.

Mr Meaty
02-26-2016, 11:23 PM
For people that want to hear Scottie again go to gobison.com under the multimedia tab and there are a ton of free audio of football and basketball games out there to listen too.

HerdBot
02-27-2016, 02:42 AM
It wasn't that time actually. Jack Michaels talked about it on his show yesterday. Apparently it was back in the late 90s or very early 2000s when the Bison were still D2 and they were in Mankato. Apparently this streaker was buck naked whereas the one in Sioux Falls at least had the courtesy to wear a speedo and a cape (if that image is burned into my mind correctly).

I want to hear about the Bourbon Street story that McFeely alluded to in his article and on his show yesterday. From what I gather it was when a normally close to the vest Scottie let her rip a little on his personal time during a road trip.

Dom posted it on the Bison Media Blog: http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/rest-easy-scotty/

The audio is distorted which takes away from it a bit but still a great call nonetheless.

I was at the Sioux Falls game, didnt realize it was in 2000

I can hear Scotty. "There is a streaker on the field. He's getting chased by security guards. He's at the 40... the 30... angling to fence. My oh my"

GOBISON123
02-27-2016, 04:25 AM
Nicely said, my feelings exactly. Maybe because Scottie Miller lived the Herd-Mentality as well as anyone...R.I.P. Scott Miller.

He was the pied piper who drew so many folks towards Bison Football with his My Oh My signature words on the radio.

Kevin
02-27-2016, 10:02 AM
Heard this on KFGO -- a nice hashtag for the six-peat is #sixforScottie.

This crossed my mind as well. I hope the boys go get it for a variety of reasons but Scott Miller is now at the top of that list.

He'll be watching from the press box in the sky, of that I have no doubt.

A1pigskin
02-27-2016, 01:42 PM
I was at the Sioux Falls game, didnt realize it was in 2000

I can hear Scotty. "There is a streaker on the field. He's getting chased by security guards. He's at the 40... the 30... angling to fence. My oh my"

Is there audio of that.

StL Bison Fan
02-27-2016, 03:30 PM
No audio butt...

cbline
02-27-2016, 04:02 PM
No audio butt...

I see what you did there!

A1pigskin
02-27-2016, 04:29 PM
No audio butt...

That had to be hilarious to listen to.

StL Bison Fan
02-27-2016, 04:36 PM
That had to be hilarious to listen to.

I remember thinking "please dont jump that chainlink fence"
He was a SDSU student

tony
02-27-2016, 09:02 PM
Good: Seeing Bison highlights on ESPN.
Great: With Scotty Miller calling the plays.

heffray
02-28-2016, 02:27 PM

Yeah great idea. Kind of what I had in mind. I just think a one time tribute at the home opener this year wouldn't be enough, and they should try to find a way to continue to pay tribute to him for years to come. He earned it.

StL Bison Fan
02-28-2016, 02:57 PM
Here is an article by McFeely. He is right on about this. I was treated for melanoma in 1998. Its always there. Waiting.
Lets not forget Scotty. I think a highlight vid with proceeds to cancer patients would be a start

http://www.inforum.com/news/3957856-mcfeely-its-time-take-melanoma-seriously

A1pigskin
02-28-2016, 06:06 PM
A tribute right now on KFGO.

NodakBizon
03-01-2016, 12:18 PM
Anyone know if the funeral will be on the radio? It would be fitting.

17>1
03-01-2016, 05:31 PM
Anyone know if the funeral will be on the radio? It would be fitting.

Maybe someone could post the obituary as well for those that haven't read it. Thanks.

1998braves64
03-01-2016, 05:44 PM
Maybe someone could post the obituary as well for those that haven't read it. Thanks.

http://www.inforum.com/obituaries/3957493-scott-albert-miller

1998braves64
03-01-2016, 05:48 PM
Wonder if any UN_ football fans remember him saying "My oh My" during his days up there? Or even Bobcat fans from his days at MSU prior to that? I seem to remember it from way back in early years even of NDSU would assume he had it prior to that too.

StL Bison Fan
03-03-2016, 11:32 PM
I will buy one of these. From Brian Shawn tweet...
Awesome shirts available at @Scheels honoring Scotty Miller... Proceeds to benefit the Roger Maris Cancer Center.

Da Bison
03-04-2016, 12:16 AM
I will buy one of these. From Brian Shawn tweet...
Awesome shirts available at @Scheels honoring Scotty Miller... Proceeds to benefit the Roger Maris Cancer Center.
I will be buying one or two of these, along with a donation to the RMCC.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

StL Bison Fan
03-04-2016, 06:28 PM
The shirts I hear are $10. Unless they announced wrong on the radio.
Also heard Bohl flew in for the funeral. Nice.
Kelly and Bubba were also there, so they get a one day grace from ridicule for being kind.

jimmyptubas
05-22-2016, 02:57 AM
He was just enough homer to keep the home fans happy but also have props to other teams when due.

The cal poly game sticks out too with the "are you kidding me" quote. That was a game I nearly didn't finish listening to, my wife had stuck a fork in them. Luckily I kept listening and we both got to hear the ending. Trying to remember many other games I've listened to live, obviously many dubbed videos, that stick out. Most of the other recent wild ending games were at home or on tv...

Gopher game III with the Marcus pick 6 that sealed the game is about the only one off to of my head.

It's been a few months but I just wanted to dovetail off your though: I lived in the cities back then and it was my first year getting back into bison sports...the cal poly game was so amazing. I think that was the first game where I really started to feel like i knew the annoucners..i called in after and as of my last check...i'm still on the audio of the post game show...i don't think i talked to scotty but man...over the last 8 years he certainly became a familiar voice.....and even my wife who really doesn't care for sports and has few ties to Fargo..she knew all about "my oh my".

THEsocalledfan
08-15-2016, 06:15 PM
Reflection on what Scott Miller meant to me

Like many Bison fans, I never got to meet Scott Miller. Yes, I saw him in person many times, but never had a conversation with him. From everything I have read, he was clearly a wonderful human being who touched the lives of many in more substantial ways than how he touched my life.

Yet, what a legacy he has left in Bison broadcasting. The reality is he DID touch so many of our lives and I suspect even he did not fully realize this before his passing. I’d like just to tell my own story and how Scott touched my life.

I am a lifelong Bison fan; the son of an alumni and having grown up the 1980’s during the incredible run they had. I used to listen to every game in high school (prior to Scott). I then attended NDSU and closely followed each and every game.

I admit, after graduation from NDSU, and undergoing more post graduate training in the Twin Cities, I did not follow NDSU as closely for a few years. I maybe streamed one-two games in 4 years, and traveled up to the UND game each year. I would not even have known who Scott Miller was at that time even though he was working games. But like many things associated with NDSU, everything changed for me when they went Division 1.

At the same time of the move up, I moved to Duluth, MN. Streaming was no longer a new thing, and NDSU even started tinkering with video streaming around that time. The Division 1 move completely changed my apathetic attitude like I suspect it did many others. I so wanted to see them succeed as I thought the move was so long overdue. I started streaming games more regularly. Of course the voice I heard was Scott Miller.

2006 was a year that will stand out as a watershed moment for many Bison fans; it is also the year that reverted me to the complete crazy fan of my youth, including college. I, like many, travelled to Minneapolis hoping to have a good time, pretty excited the Bison were getting a chance to play the Gophers. But everything changed for me that day. Suddenly, I started to fully understand what was possible despite the loss. I realized NDSU was on the cusp of dominance once again. I watched or listened to basically every single Bison game starting at that time.

So there I was, in an unfinished room in the basement every Saturday streaming every game. My kids were too little to appreciate football, and my wife was not interested. So I was by myself, or so I thought. In retrospect, Scott Miller was with me.

My most vivid memory was listening to the 2007 Sam Houston State game completely despaired that NDSU seemed to be destined to defeat. Then, two of the most improbably plays in Bison history happened, and NDSU wins. The joy of the moment literally came through the computer speakers. And who was it that described the scene? Scott Miller

My point is Scott Miller was there for all of us who could not be at every game. His voice was flawless; his excitement real, his delivery, perfect. He was the friend who took us to the game when we could not be there.

So, all of you business folks who were on the road, so you could not get to every game;

All of you North Dakotans who could not watch the games before the TV days;

All of you transplants in other states who started following the Bison more closely due to streaming and the D1 move;

All of you younger fans who have watched the numerous You Tube clips NDSU has put out with Scott’s voice;

All of you famers who were busy bringing the harvest listening to the Bison;

When you get home tonight, raise a toast to the memory of Scott Miller. Ask your spouse, kids and other family to say prayers for the family of Scott Miller for comfort and support. Say a prayer for all those associated with NDSU who are hurting due to his passing. And finally, say a prayer of Thanksgiving to the Lord for giving us Scott Miller.

Scott, I hope you know how you touched all of our lives for the better.

Thought I'd bump this since Kolpack used it in his book. I was very honored to have this included.

Bison03
08-15-2016, 09:07 PM
Has there been any mention about how NDSU is planning on honoring Scottie? Hope they do something like the Redhawks did. Not saying they need to name the pressbox at the dome or the SHAC after him; but I would hope a banner or something.

AKBison
08-16-2016, 01:06 AM
Hopefully they do something permanent in the SHAC for him. He was the only connection to Bison athletics for a lot of us and is a home grown North Dakota talent. I am sure they will do a montage video of his work before the first game or at halftime. Hanging the #20 (1996-2016) would be a fitting tribute

CalBison97
08-16-2016, 01:37 AM
I love how The Insiders use a ton of Scotty's calls in the opening. I hope that continues for years to come.

56BISON73
08-16-2016, 01:47 AM
Hopefully they do something permanent in the SHAC for him. He was the only connection to Bison athletics for a lot of us and is a home grown North Dakota talent. I am sure they will do a montage video of his work before the first game or at halftime. Hanging the #20 (1996-2016) would be a fitting tribute

Dont understand this part????

tjbison
08-16-2016, 03:39 AM
Dont understand this part????

20 years he called the games? Symbolic?

56BISON73
08-16-2016, 03:44 AM
20 years he called the games? Symbolic?

Thanks.....

AKBison
08-16-2016, 05:21 AM
*Double post*

AKBison
08-16-2016, 05:22 AM
KU did something similar for their guy who called games for over 40 years. Neat way to honor a play by play guy that became the voice of NDSU. Most career radio guys never become "that guy."
As media contracts and AD's change people move on. It's part of the business. When you land a "Scotty" you don't let him go. Here is Bob Davis retirement video from
KU, there is a lot of parallels between him and Scotty.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vBY8PeTtzxo

Christopher Moen
08-16-2016, 05:58 AM

Wouldn't it be #21 instead of #20?

Just a little math issue.

OrygunBison
08-16-2016, 06:40 AM
I think that they should put up a banner that simply reads, "MY OH MY".

westnodak93bison
08-16-2016, 02:06 PM
Great idea. If they plan on a tribute thing before the game I hope they are smart enough to spread the word in the tailgate lot before the game to avoid a bunch of fans making noise or not paying attention when it starts.

17>1
08-16-2016, 02:11 PM

My thoughts as well. But where do they hang it up? How about on the front of the press box?

Mr Meaty
08-16-2016, 03:09 PM
Great idea. If they plan on a tribute thing before the game I hope they are smart enough to spread the word in the tailgate lot before the game to avoid a bunch of fans making noise or not paying attention when it starts.

very good point......

Bison03
08-16-2016, 07:18 PM
I think people are smart enough to recognize a tribute when they see it. I think anything on those new boards will cause people to stand in stunned silence anyway! A "My Oh My" banner somewhere hanging in the dome is a must. That way whenever an amazing play happens, the tv camera's can just show the banner. No commentary needed.

kristind
08-16-2016, 09:08 PM

They have a tribute listed here...just posted on facebook
Link: https://www.facebook.com/NDBison/photos/a.214525824531.164571.7791099531/10154452960379532/?type=3&theater

BFKasper14
08-16-2016, 09:10 PM
They have a tribute listed here...just posted on facebook
Link: https://www.facebook.com/NDBison/photos/a.214525824531.164571.7791099531/10154452960379532/?type=3&theater

Is Some Shitty Cover Band the name of the band or is it actually going to be a shitty cover band playing on Bison Eve?