PDA

View Full Version : MVFC ESPN3 agreement

KTF
02-01-2016, 04:04 PM
Not sure how big of news this is but worth noting... http://gobison.com/news/2016/2/1/FB_0201163216.aspx

tjbison
02-01-2016, 04:06 PM
awesome news, with the world switching to Online content this is big, reaches more people than FSN, plus with it available on ND NBC everyone is covered, love it

IBleedYellow
02-01-2016, 04:32 PM
awesome news, with the world switching to Online content this is big, reaches more people than FSN, plus with it available on ND NBC everyone is covered, love it

Exactly exactly exactly!!!

Streaming is huge, while it used to be something everyone frowned upon, streaming is the way to go, IMO!

EC8CH
02-01-2016, 04:40 PM
This pleases me. Love having access to games on ESPN3. Having replays available makes it so easy to rewatch Bison games and watch other games from around the conference. This combined with some form of state/region wide over the air broadcast for the non tech savy is a great combination for Bison football.

tjbison
02-01-2016, 04:42 PM
Exactly exactly exactly!!!

Streaming is huge, while it used to be something everyone frowned upon, streaming is the way to go, IMO!
Not going to lie, I hook the espn3 feed up over ND NBC when I'm home

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1998braves64
02-01-2016, 05:31 PM
Seems this is a pretty big deal. Curious about the exclusive 8 game package deal?

Bison 4 Life
02-01-2016, 05:52 PM
Seems this is a pretty big deal. Curious about the exclusive 8 game package deal?

The Valley has their own production crew that travels to underserved institutions. I think that's what they mean.

49 games on ESPN3, 25% of those were NDSU games if my math is correct. Probably half were either NDSU or SDSU.

The older teams don't really try hard at all for TV.

NDSUstudent
02-01-2016, 06:55 PM
It is really meh to me. Patty just reaching for the low hanging fruit.

I am not saying I hate it, the media deal is fine but the Summit has a much better media deal since its broadcast partner is actually invested in putting on a quality product. Whoever the MVFC is paying to do their 8 broadcasts is basically stealing money from the league.

Bison 4 Life
02-01-2016, 07:07 PM
It is really meh to me. Patty just reaching for the low hanging fruit.

I am not saying I hate it, the media deal is fine but the Summit has a much better media deal since its broadcast partner is actually invested in putting on a quality product. Whoever the MVFC is paying to do their 8 broadcasts is basically stealing money from the league.

Like I said, the xDSU's seem to be the only ones with dedicated television contracts. You could see that by the fact that our guys traveled to SIU and YSU (where they were treated very poorly). The Indiana State game was probably a MVFC production.

ESPN is a distribution arm but until all our conference members decide TV is important enough to actually produce the games, I don't blame the networks for not caring.

aces1180
02-20-2017, 01:25 PM
Bumping an older (but not the oldest) thread...

DirecTV now offers ESPN3 on their set-top boxes.

HerdBot
02-20-2017, 02:37 PM
Bumping an older (but not the oldest) thread...

DirecTV now offers ESPN3 on their set-top boxes.

How does it work? Does it connect to the web or do they just show all the games on the regular channel guide? Do you need the sports pack to get it?

tjbison
02-20-2017, 03:12 PM
How does it work? Does it connect to the web or do they just show all the games on the regular channel guide? Do you need the sports pack to get it?

Im guessing it will be in addition to the already Live channels they have, but those are limited games, probably going to need WIFI which will allow full access via Dtv, this is pure speculation

THEsocalledfan
02-20-2017, 03:53 PM
Im guessing it will be in addition to the already Live channels they have, but those are limited games, probably going to need WIFI which will allow full access via Dtv, this is pure speculation

And, if those not big into streaming have not read my advice on other threads about the pitfalls of relying on wifi to stream, you should strongly consider hard wiring a connection. (Again, it might work, but you better test is extensively for performance before that first game you want to watch.)

Gully
02-20-2017, 04:11 PM
That's good news. I sure wish Comcast would do this, or at least offer the other ESPN channels (can't remember what they're called) that DirecTv has been using to offer many alternative games.

tjbison
02-20-2017, 04:14 PM
That's good news. I sure wish Comcast would do this, or at least offer the other ESPN channels (can't remember what they're called) that DirecTv has been using to offer many alternative games.

ESPN Xtra

I watched 90% of the Valley/Summit games on them, HD right in the 700's on Dtv. Thats why im guessing the full ESPN3 access will allow the entire service right from the cable box for Dtv customers instead of having to stream thru another device

HerdBot
02-20-2017, 04:36 PM
This is pretty big news. Basically every game is available on DirecTV nationally through a more traditional way of watching TV. Great national exposure for the Missouri Valley and Summit. It's kind of like getting a national TV contract without the money

aces1180
02-20-2017, 05:11 PM
Apparently the option will come up while watching ESPN...Then you hit the red button on the remote which gives you a new menu. I just found out about it from my buddy who works for DTV, so I'm going to give this a try tonight.

HerdBot
02-20-2017, 06:16 PM
Apparently the option will come up while watching ESPN...Then you hit the red button on the remote which gives you a new menu. I just found out about it from my buddy who works for DTV, so I'm going to give this a try tonight.

The red button has always popped up but of course the content hasn't always been available unless you subscribe to espn extra or the sports pack but if those games are now included it will always be available which is super awesome. Hopefully Dish follows suit... more viewers is better obviously

BattleBorn
02-28-2017, 02:11 PM
I am moving out of state and I just want a way to watch Bison football/basketball games and maybe a couple other things on TV. I would rather not deal with DirecTV in an apartment, so I am thinking of Sling as it has ESPN3. Has anyone used this, and are all the football games on ESPN3? Thanks!

tjbison
02-28-2017, 02:19 PM
I am moving out of state and I just want a way to watch Bison football/basketball games and maybe a couple other things on TV. I would rather not deal with DirecTV in an apartment, so I am thinking of Sling as it has ESPN3. Has anyone used this, and are all the football games on ESPN3? Thanks!

i watched every away game I didnt attend on ESPN3

TransAmBison
02-28-2017, 02:20 PM
I am moving out of state and I just want a way to watch Bison football/basketball games and maybe a couple other things on TV. I would rather not deal with DirecTV in an apartment, so I am thinking of Sling as it has ESPN3. Has anyone used this, and are all the football games on ESPN3? Thanks!Sling has ESPN3, but I don't think it has access to the full catalog of games...I could be wrong, though. It is better to just use the Watch ESPN app on a Roku or Firestick.

EC8CH
02-28-2017, 02:36 PM

Some internet providers give access to ESPN3 even without a cable tv subscription.

If you know someone who will share their cable TV subscription's email and password, you can use that to get access to ESPN3.

If those two suggestions don't work for you, then Sling is probably the next cheapest option to access ESPN3.

Only time ESPN3 doesn't carry the live stream is when the games are carried on ESPN's other channels which happens normally in the playoffs. In those cases you can still stream the games using the WatchESPN app but you'll need access to those ESPN channels and not just ESPN3 so you'll need either a Cable TV subscription login or Sling.

EC8CH
02-28-2017, 02:43 PM
Sling has ESPN3, but I don't think it has access to the full catalog of games...I could be wrong, though. It is better to just use the Watch ESPN app on a Roku or Firestick.

Sling Orange gives access to ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN3.

TransAmBison
02-28-2017, 02:46 PM
Sling Orange gives access to ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN3.Yes,but I don't believe you get as much with that ESPN3 access as you do through the Watch ESPN app. We have Sling, but I just use the Watch ESPN app...

EC8CH
02-28-2017, 02:51 PM
Yes,but I don't believe you get as much with that ESPN3 access as you do through the Watch ESPN app. We have Sling, but I just use the Watch ESPN app...

You can log into the WatchESPN app with a Sling account and it will give you access to content on ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN3.

BattleBorn
02-28-2017, 02:54 PM
Thanks everyone for your help on this. I'm moving to Louisville, KY, so I'll be looking for a tailgate at ISU-b! One last question, are the home games on WatchESPN too?

oldmantutters
02-28-2017, 03:08 PM
Thanks everyone for your help on this. I'm moving to Louisville, KY, so I'll be looking for a tailgate at ISU-b! One last question, are the home games on WatchESPN too?

Yes. (10char)