PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Depth Chart Preview

Alsen
01-29-2016, 04:22 AM
http://www.scout.com/college/north-dakota-state/story/1631810-2016-bison-football-a-way-too-early-preview

Thoughts on these roster and depth chart projections??

I am especially interested in seeing what people think about the LT and secondary positions.

ndsubison1
01-29-2016, 04:47 AM
Move Lechler or does somebody impress enough and develop the next big LT?

Alsen
01-29-2016, 07:58 AM
I am thinking Colin Conner. I like the way his HS coach spoke of him. I also like the fact that he openly has the NFL as his goal. http://www.swnews4u.com/archives/19638/

I also like that he turned down a plethora of offers to take a partial scholarship with NDSU. This kid wanted to be a Bison and he has lofty goals. I'm rooting for him.

cracker
01-29-2016, 07:05 PM
Is Engel an early enrollee? Sorry if I missed that somewhere:hide:

ZHerd
03-16-2016, 03:57 AM
GoBison has a 2016 spring football roster up. There is a new name, seniors are off the roster and there are some weight changes from the 2015 roster

Bison'01
03-16-2016, 04:08 AM
I sure hope DT Aaron Steidl is actually 291 and not 191- if so, he must have been really sick! LOL

Mr Meaty
03-16-2016, 12:53 PM
GoBison has a 2016 spring football roster up. There is a new name, seniors are off the roster and there are some weight changes from the 2015 roster

What is the new name?

westnodak93bison
03-16-2016, 01:06 PM
Looking at the roster we may have a chance to be a better/deeper team than last year imho

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Professor Chaos
03-16-2016, 01:41 PM
RFr DE Derrek Tuszka is a name to keep an eye on. I have some family from the Warner area who said he's a better athlete than his brother Jarrod (who saw time as a back-up DE last year). Derrek's now listed at 6'5" 247 which is great size at DE for a redshirt freshman. He's got the physical tools, as long as he's got what it takes between the earholes he's going to be a good one.

DM05
03-16-2016, 01:41 PM
New name is Bennett Rindy, RFr. WR from West Fargo.

No longer listed on the roster are Bo Liekhus, Austin Farnlof, Colter Pritchard, and Michael Veldman. Good luck to those gentlemen.

Comparing to last year's roster: Cam Pederson put on 22 pounds, Dimitri Williams 16, Bruce Anderson is up to 210, and DT Blake Williams is up to 283 (highly recruited a couple years ago, but hasn't seen the field much). Stick is even up to 221.

Redshirts: Little Zack Johnson is already at 297, Little Tuszka put on 21 in 6 months (both him and Karcz are high 240's), Jack Darnell is up to 291, and Jaxon Brown is 202 at SS. Jim Kramer strikes again, and they still have spring ball and summer workouts left.

Farmer63
03-16-2016, 02:20 PM

No longer listed on the roster are Bo Liekhus, Austin Farnlof, Colter Pritchard, and Michael Veldman. Good luck to those gentlemen.

Comparing to last year's roster: Cam Pederson put on 22 pounds, Dimitri Williams 16, Bruce Anderson is up to 210, and DT Blake Williams is up to 283 (highly recruited a couple years ago, but hasn't seen the field much). Stick is even up to 221.

Redshirts: Little Zack Johnson is already at 297, Little Tuszka put on 21 in 6 months (both him and Karcz are high 240's), Jack Darnell is up to 291, and Jaxon Brown is 202 at SS. Jim Kramer strikes again, and they still have spring ball and summer workouts left.

Absolutely.... Best wishes to these gentlemen for their contribution to the team.

ZHerd
03-16-2016, 02:24 PM

Blake Williams and Stanley Jones both really bulked up well following their injuries. I hope that Williams is able to make an impact this year. It looks like Purifoy is having a tougher time bulking up...not that he needs to be huge, but he is 6'1. I'm really looking forward to watching Darnell and Hubbs play. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them ends up starting next to Tanguay.

Bison"FANatic"
03-16-2016, 02:30 PM
I'm really looking forward to watching Darnell and Hubbs play.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bison Loaf
03-16-2016, 03:29 PM

No longer listed on the roster are Bo Liekhus, Austin Farnlof, Colter Pritchard, and Michael Veldman. Good luck to those gentlemen.Comparing to last year's roster: Cam Pederson put on 22 pounds, Dimitri Williams 16, Bruce Anderson is up to 210, and DT Blake Williams is up to 283 (highly recruited a couple years ago, but hasn't seen the field much). Stick is even up to 221.

Feeling both appreciative and a bit sad for all of these players, but especially Liekhus and Farnlof.

I acknowledge that one could very well say this about almost all players who leave the program these days (which is an amazing thing really) but Liekhus, for example, was, I think, a very fine player who just happened to get caught behind some of the greatest players in Bison history, first at safety and then at linebacker.

It's a great time to be a Bison fan and I know that many of us do not and will not forget the contributions of players like these.

GOBISON123
03-16-2016, 05:01 PM
Feeling both appreciative and a bit sad for all of these players, but especially Liekhus and Farnlof.

I acknowledge that one could very well say this about almost all players who leave the program these days (which is an amazing thing really) but Liekhus, for example, was, I think, a very fine player who just happened to get caught behind some of the greatest players in Bison history, first at safety and then at linebacker.

It's a great time to be a Bison fan and I know that many of us do not and will not forget the contributions of players like these.

X 10 (times 10)

DORMIE
03-16-2016, 05:24 PM
In regards to the LT, I was talking to Coach Riley at the signing party and I mentioned that he'd gotten his next left tackle in Radunz. He said that he thought he already had him in Little Zack.

Alsen
03-16-2016, 06:08 PM
Little Zach ain't so little anymore.

BisonNeil
03-16-2016, 06:16 PM

I never saw Blake in uniform this year, even for home games, so I don't think he has seen the field at all. He has had some injury issues, most associated with his lacrosse ankle injury suffered his senior year. Surprised he is still here.

Also very surprised to see Eric Bachmeier listed as a CB. I thought he was a FS all this time.

NorthernBison
03-16-2016, 10:39 PM
Colter Pritchard was out all season after surgery for a hip impingement. Not sure if he gave it up or if there isn't a spot on the roster for him.

HerdBot
03-17-2016, 01:57 AM

We can put a fork in the worst recruiting class in the D1 era. Only 4 players remain. All from ND or Minnesota. (MJ Stumpf , Zak Johnson, Plankers, and Lechler.) What's crazy is that was the first class after the 2011 National Championship. Although some of the players were just behind some mega talent. Although the next few classes are amazing.

Farmer63
03-17-2016, 09:04 PM
We can put a fork in the worst recruiting class in the D1 era. Only 4 players remain. All from ND or Minnesota. (MJ Stumpf , Zak Johnson, Plankers, and Lechler.) What's crazy is that was the first class after the 2011 National Championship. Although some of the players were just behind some mega talent. Although the next few classes are amazing.

Was Eric Perkins part of that recuiting class? I can't remember.

A1pigskin
03-17-2016, 11:46 PM

This tells me the level of players we are getting are getting better.

BisonNeil
03-18-2016, 02:40 AM

While this class is near the bottom it isn't nearly as bad as the 2008 class. Two 10-1 seasons and Bohl got lazy, admitted they thought players would flock to NDSU. Only two players stuck it out, only one starter. By far and away the worst recruiting class in the DI era by a wide margin.

Bisonwinagn
03-18-2016, 04:11 AM

This is no surprise after the coaches admitted they did a poor job of recruiting during the run to the championship. They learned a lot after that year and have had some of the best classes.

HerdBot
03-18-2016, 04:41 AM
While this class is near the bottom it isn't nearly as bad as the 2008 class. Two 10-1 seasons and Bohl got lazy, admitted they thought players would flock to NDSU. Only two players stuck it out, only one starter. By far and away the worst recruiting class in the DI era by a wide margin.

I dunno man. They both sucked pretty bad.

But the 2008 class did have a bunch of losers who got arrested in a shoplifting ring and even a drug dealer. It was so bad that the DUIs looked good!

The recent class has smart good character kids who either weren't good enough, didn't have the work ethic, or just got beat out. In some cases, injuries hurt. I credit guys like Farnloff and Liekus for sticking it out. Farnloff has like 7 guys ahead of him but to his credit... 7 pretty darn good players.

DM05
03-18-2016, 02:03 PM
It certainly doesn't help the perception of the 2008 or 2012 classes when the three classes in between them were:

2009: Brock Jensen, Marcus Williams, Andrew Grothmann, Sam Ojuri, Tyler Gimmestad, Ryan Drevlow, Leevon Perry, Cole Jirik, Derrick Lang, Kevin Vaadeland, Danny Luecke

2010: Billy Turner, Zach Vraa, Kyle Emanuel, Colton Heagle, Christian Dudzik, Travis Beck, Adam Keller, Carlton Littlejohn, Grant Olson, John Crockett, Esley Thorton, Mike Hardie, Ryan Smith

2011: Carson Wentz, Joe Haeg, Ben LeCompte, CJ Smith, Andrew Bonnett, Jedre Cyr, Jordan Champion, Brian Schaetz, Josh Colville, Luke Albers

How many of those guys are in the conversation for the Bison Hall of Fame? I have 8 absolute locks (Jensen, Williams, Turner, Vraa, Emanuel, Heagle, Haeg, Bonnett), 7 most likely's (Dudzik, Beck, Littlejohn, Keller, Crockett, Wentz, LeCompte), and 4 probably should's (Grothmann, Ojuri, Olson, CJ Smith). Admittedly, that is being conservative! 2010 has 10 guys alone. Just a ridiculous 3 year stretch of successful classes; hope the last 3 classes turn out the same.

BISONBRI53
03-18-2016, 05:26 PM
It certainly doesn't help the perception of the 2008 or 2012 classes when the three classes in between them were:

2009: Brock Jensen, Marcus Williams, Andrew Grothmann, Sam Ojuri, Tyler Gimmestad, Ryan Drevlow, Leevon Perry, Cole Jirik, Derrick Lang, Kevin Vaadeland, Danny Luecke

2010: Billy Turner, Zach Vraa, Kyle Emanuel, Colton Heagle, Christian Dudzik, Travis Beck, Adam Keller, Carlton Littlejohn, Grant Olson, John Crockett, Esley Thorton, Mike Hardie, Ryan Smith

2011: Carson Wentz, Joe Haeg, Ben LeCompte, CJ Smith, Andrew Bonnett, Jedre Cyr, Jordan Champion, Brian Schaetz, Josh Colville, Luke Albers

How many of those guys are in the conversation for the Bison Hall of Fame? I have 8 absolute locks (Jensen, Williams, Turner, Vraa, Emanuel, Heagle, Haeg, Bonnett), 7 most likely's (Dudzik, Beck, Littlejohn, Keller, Crockett, Wentz, LeCompte), and 4 probably should's (Grothmann, Ojuri, Olson, CJ Smith). Admittedly, that is being conservative! 2010 has 10 guys alone. Just a ridiculous 3 year stretch of successful classes; hope the last 3 classes turn out the same.

Why Bonnett? Cuz he jumped over people?

mtoutfitter
03-18-2016, 07:01 PM

Wondering that too......maybe it's for most motion penalties........just joshing here folks.

reformedUNDfan
03-18-2016, 07:24 PM
I might miss-recall, but I remember talk from the team about Illies seeing more time at reciever. Could he be in the mix to replace Vraa?

DM05
03-18-2016, 10:36 PM
Wondering that too......maybe it's for most motion penalties........just joshing here folks.

Most motion penalties, Michael Bolton on steroids hair, 2-time MVFC first team, multi-year all-american...all of that is in play. No clue what the selection criteria are, but there are going to be many deserving candidates.

mtoutfitter
03-19-2016, 04:37 PM
I notice that Grimsley didn't add much weight, probably because he had to play.....guessing he'll put on a few pounds over the summer.

BisonNeil
03-20-2016, 04:45 AM
I notice that Grimsley didn't add much weight, probably because he had to play.....guessing he'll put on a few pounds over the summer.

A lack of focus has held Bonnet from being one of the best ever. We can all joke about it but he likely has the most penalties as an individual player in the history of Bison football. We think it's humorous in hindsight but he had two motion penalities in his last game, a natty. I doubt that fact is being ignored by the pro scouts.

X-Factor
03-20-2016, 05:04 AM
A lack of focus has held Bonnet from being one of the best ever. We can all joke about it but he likely has the most penalties as an individual player in the history of Bison football. We think it's humorous in hindsight but he had two motion penalities in his last game, a natty. I doubt that fact is being ignored by the pro scouts.
Yup. I agree. It sends a message. Athletically gifted at FB and glad he played as a Bison, but he has a low ceiling as a pro, IMO.

HerdBot
03-20-2016, 05:10 AM

After the O Tackle, the TE is the 2nd most penalized position in pre snap penalties and given the fact he shifted, seemingly on most plays, and played a hybrid TE/FB, he is going to lead the team in that category. Dude also caught a TD and made big plays in the national championship.

DIBISON
03-20-2016, 05:18 AM
After the 2 NFL draft picks from the Bison (Wentz and Haeg) Bonnet is being projected as the "next" Bison in line for a NFL contract.

MAKBison
03-20-2016, 05:21 AM
Note to poke too much fun at anyone. But you want a good read. go look at the CW thread and look at those early prognostications. Just saying a lot of the BV members suck at evaluating talent

BlueBisonRock
03-20-2016, 06:15 AM
Note to poke too much fun at anyone. But you want a good read. go look at the CW thread and look at those early prognostications. Just saying a lot of the BV members suck at evaluating talent

True this!!

NorthernBison
03-20-2016, 10:37 AM

Yeah, calling Bonnett an absolute lock while simultaneously putting Beck, Crockett, and Wentz in the "most likely" category is an instant red flag on credibility.

DM05
03-20-2016, 03:40 PM
Yeah, calling Bonnett an absolute lock while simultaneously putting Beck, Crockett, and Wentz in the "most likely" category is an instant red flag on credibility.

Guess I'm crazy for thinking that a multi-year All-American deserves to be in the Bison Hall of Fame. I'm also not saying that he was more important or a better player than Beck, Crockett, or Wentz. But he was recognized as the best in the country at his position; that is why I think he is in. I think that generally matters in this situation.

Really sorry you don't find me credible; it is truly devastating to find out someone on a message board doesn't agree with my subjective opinions.

tony
03-22-2016, 07:09 PM
http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/depth-chart-talk-some-new-guys-in-the-mix/

Depth chart going into Spring Ball:

LT Colin Conner, Zack J. Johnson
LG Zack Johnson, Zack Ziemer or Christian Triplett
C Austin Kuhnert, Tanner Volson
RG Jack Plankers, Luke Bacon
RT Landon Lechler, Andrew Trzebiatowski or Erik Olson
TE Connor Wentz, Jeff Illies
QB Easton Stick, Cole Davis
FB Brock Robbins, Garrett Malstrom
RB King Frazier or Chase Morlock, Bruce Anderson or Lance Dunn
WR RJ Urzendowski, Eric Perkins or Marquise Bridges
WR Darrius Shepherd, Dmitri Williams or Eric Perkins

LE Brad Ambrosius, Caleb Butler
DT Nate Tanguay, Grant Morgan
NG Aaron Steild, Blake Williams
RE Greg Menard, Stanley Jones or Jarrod Tuszka
SLB Pierre Gee-Tucker, Chris Board
MLB Nick Deluca, Matt Plank
WLB MJ Stumpf, Dan Marlette
CB Dakota Reid, Jaylaan Wimbush
SS Robbie Grimsley, Eric Bachmeier
FS Tre Dempsey, Isaac Cenescar
CB Jalen Allison, Dom Davis

PK Cam Pedersen
H Cole Davis
LS James Fisher
P Ian Gallagher
KR Bruce Anderson, Eric Perkins or Ty Brooks
PR Eric Perkins, Darrius Shepherd

Bisonwinagn
03-22-2016, 07:17 PM
Colin Conner? Is he projected to be that good next year.

bruinbison
03-22-2016, 07:33 PM
Colin Conner? Is he projected to be that good next year.

He may be...... I suspect any freshman who redshirted (e. g. Zack Johnson)
will not have their best shot at playing (also practice) time until
spring practice, and thus showing up on the depth chart.
The exception being FB where both Jedre Cyr and Andrew Bonnet are gone.
Will be interesting to see the competition between CC and Little Zack at LT.....

ndsubison1
03-22-2016, 08:37 PM
I like the prospect of having Jones and Butler developing another year behind Ambrosius and Menard.

ZHerd
03-22-2016, 10:24 PM
Interesting (in the good sense of the word) seeing Blake Williams on the two deep.

westnodak93bison
03-23-2016, 01:28 AM
Interesting (in the good sense of the word) seeing Blake Williams on the two deep.
Especially at NG? I would have guessed he would be a DE or DT type based on his reported athleticism.

X-Factor
03-23-2016, 03:46 AM
exciting to see the two-deep! Such a deep and experienced team, and to think we will only have 11 seniors....sorry FCS!

ah, nevermind. I am not sorry. :rofl:

ndsubison1
03-23-2016, 04:06 AM
exciting to see the two-deep! Such a deep and experienced team, and to think we will only have 11 seniors....sorry FCS!

ah, nevermind. I am not sorry. :rofl:

This s#it never ends it seems. :D

tolnabison
03-23-2016, 01:13 PM
A few take aways:
-I find it interesting the last year Jaylaan Wimbush listed as a strong safety, now he is listed as backup cornerback to Dakota Reid.
-Eric Bachmeier is listed as a cornerback on the roster, he is listed as backup strong safety to Robbie Grimsley.
-Khayvon Hawkins isn't listed in either WR spot on the depth chart.
-The left tackle battle will be huge between Colin Conner and Zack J. Johnson. I know many have pegged the redshirt freshman to win. Which would be great and give us an opportunity for a 4 year starter. I am still not counting out the chance Lechler plays there if neither candidate takes the job and runs with it.
-Lots of first time players listed on the depth chart
-Tons of youth mixed in with lots of experience

Bison'01
03-23-2016, 01:37 PM
Nerd stat:

If that is our starting o-line against CSU in august...

Average is 314 pounds!!!

BisoninNWMN
03-23-2016, 01:42 PM
Nerd stat:

Average is 314 pounds!!!

....against a CSU DL that averages around 255.....:)

Tony Almeida
03-23-2016, 01:47 PM
I love the lineup. We are going to be salty once again this year! This team is going to give the 2013 team a run for their money in terms of well, who the best is . . . :biggrin: :hide:

Vet70
03-23-2016, 01:52 PM
Nerd stat:

Average is 314 pounds!!!

....against a CSU DL that averages around 255.....:)

Are you guys saying we should run the damn ball?

tony
03-23-2016, 02:02 PM
I love the lineup. We are going to be salty once again this year! This team is going to give the 2013 team a run for their money in terms of well, who the best is . . . :biggrin: :hide:

On paper it looks good.

It's no joke replacing Haeg at LT, Smith at CB, and Wentz at QB - plus a guy who was practically a co-star of Wentz's highlight tape (Andrew Bonnet). Then there's the possibility of injuries and distractions.

But, holy cow, there's a lot coming back. Two of the best WRs NDSU has ever had. Three senior LBs. Even without Schaetz, a formidable defensive line, proven RBs, and a QB who hasn't lost as a Bison. If NDSU can get the offensive line and secondary to come together... yikes.

steelbison
03-23-2016, 02:15 PM
A few take aways:
-I find it interesting the last year Jaylaan Wimbush listed as a strong safety, now he is listed as backup cornerback to Dakota Reid.
-Eric Bachmeier is listed as a cornerback on the roster, he is listed as backup strong safety to Robbie Grimsley.
-The left tackle battle will be huge between Colin Conner and Zack J. Johnson. I know many have pegged the redshirt freshman to win. Which would be great and give us an opportunity for a 4 year starter. I am still not counting out the chance Lechler plays there if neither candidate takes the job and runs with it.

You have a good take except Lechler will NEVER play left tackle. He struggles against speed rushers. He would be a bad fit at Left tackle.

mtoutfitter
03-23-2016, 03:01 PM
Looks like the Walk On program is paying dividends.....3 OL listed on the 2 deep are walkons according to Scout....E Olson, Andrew Trz, and Triplett.

DM05
03-23-2016, 03:11 PM
You have a good take except Lechler will NEVER play left tackle. He struggles against speed rushers. He would be a bad fit at Left tackle.

I really hope either Conner or Little Zach takes the reins at left tackle. Holmes from Montana destroyed Lechler on passing plays in the first game. Granted he did win FCS defensive player of the year.

Random observation: the right side of the line is most likely the biggest in school history, probably the entire FCS this year. This probably doesn't even need to be researched.

Jay
03-23-2016, 03:20 PM
On paper it looks good.

It's no joke replacing Haeg at LT, Smith at CB, and Wentz at QB - plus a guy who was practically a co-star of Wentz's highlight tape (Andrew Bonnet). Then there's the possibility of injuries and distractions.

But, holy cow, there's a lot coming back. Two of the best WRs NDSU has ever had. Three senior LBs. Even without Schaetz, a formidable defensive line, proven RBs, and a QB who hasn't lost as a Bison. If NDSU can get the offensive line and secondary to come together... yikes.

The front 7 is absolutely loaded with talent and experience. I can't even wrap my head around it.

Professor Chaos
03-23-2016, 03:34 PM
And there's only 11 seniors so the future looks very bright. If the depth at O-line and LB develops this spring and fall the 2017 team is shaping up to be a juggernaut.

tolnabison
03-23-2016, 04:00 PM

Lechler filled in for Haeg at left tackle many times last year in games that we had in hand.

ZHerd
03-23-2016, 04:10 PM
And there's only 11 seniors so the future looks very bright. If the depth at O-line and LB develops this spring and fall the 2017 team is shaping up to be a juggernaut.

Yes, looking at who returns after this next season, 2017 looks like a juggernaut in the making. I'm just disappointed that it doesn't look like there will be a 2017 FBS game and so that squad isn't going to have the opportunity to fully showcase how good they are

Farmer63
03-23-2016, 04:15 PM
Looks like the Walk On program is paying dividends.....3 OL listed on the 2 deep are walkons according to Scout....E Olson, Andrew Trz, and Triplett.

I don't think Triplett was a walkon. I'm not sure what sort of scholly he got, but I think there was something more than PWO.

mtoutfitter
03-23-2016, 04:20 PM
I don't think Triplett was a walkon. I'm not sure what sort of scholly he got, but I think there something more than PWO.

I was just going by the Bison/Scout website. There's a scholly list on there and it has him as a walkon....not sure if that's right but that is what it says.

Farmer63
03-23-2016, 04:37 PM
I was just going by the Bison/Scout website. There's a scholly list on there and it has him as a walkon....not sure if that's right but that is what it says.

I'm not positive either, but if I remember correctly he was originally offered a PWO, and then later it was changed to some sort of scholorship. I can't remember the details. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

bruinbison
03-23-2016, 04:51 PM
A few take aways:

Good stuff from the Spring Practice video interview of Coach Klieman by Kolpack and Izzo.
Kolpack has a big article in today's Forum also. A couple other notes:

- Jaylaan Wimbush being switched from S to CB - this makes me
think it is less likely Tre Dempsey is switched. Coach Klieman praised
Dempsey's leadership skills (perhaps that means don't try and change a good thing).

- RFR FB Brock Robbins - a comparison was made that his role would
be more like Andrew Bonnet (FB/TE) than Jedre Cyr (FB)

- Does not know which LB RFR Aaron Mercadel & Jake Brinkman are at yet,
Will or Sam, but that they are not Mikes.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/3992689-five-burning-questions-facing-ndsu-football

Replacing Champion appears to be an open race between sophomore Jaylaan Wimbush (who was moved from safety), redshirt freshman Dom Davis and sophomore Dakota Reid.

The top candidate (for LB depth) is sophomore Dan Marlette, who Klieman said will get a look at both a middle linebacker spot as well as an outside spot he has been playing. "We need to find out what Marlette can do," Klieman said.

WR Dallas Freeman got mentioned as a walk-on who could get an opportunity.

ndsubison1
03-23-2016, 06:04 PM
Dempseys emergence and speed is very valuable at FS. Plus, I think Reid will be viable across from Allison. Nothing guaranteed though.

runtheoption
03-23-2016, 06:14 PM
When was Ian Gallagher fully reinstated?

Vet70
03-23-2016, 06:45 PM

I don't remember exactly when, but it was in the Fall.

tony
03-23-2016, 07:12 PM
- RFR FB Brock Robbins - a comparison was made that his role would
be more like Andrew Bonnet (FB/TE) than Jedre Cyr (FB)

Garrett Malstrom is interesting at FB too. The roster has him listed as 6-1, 244. Went 48-0 as a heavyweight in wrestling and set school records for career and season tackles. I'm guessing he is pegged to have more of a Jedre Cyr role.

Answer Guy
03-24-2016, 12:47 AM

Remind me why he needed to be reinstated?

Vet70
03-24-2016, 01:09 AM
Remind me why he needed to be reinstated?

http://www.inforum.com/sports/3813252-bison-suspend-freshman-punter-indefinitely-after-early-morning-arrest

GOBISON123
03-24-2016, 02:52 AM
I wanted to see Purifoy on the kick return team. Especially considering the great scout team RB role he played while preparing for UNI.

Bison Loaf
03-24-2016, 12:45 PM
I can see certain versions of the 2-deep depth charts as being set oriented.

For example, we all know that our bread and butter is power running football.

Not saying those on this particular 2-deep chart can't or won't be successful at it, but keep your eye on Nate Jenson at tight end. A 6-6, 248 lbs sophomore this season, Jenson got quite a few un-noticed reps as last season progressed.

A1pigskin
03-26-2016, 03:42 PM
Who will have a breakout year at running back this year? King?

unbison
03-26-2016, 03:58 PM
Anderson!!!!!

17>1
03-26-2016, 04:26 PM

Sort of feel like he had it last season, especially after CW went down with the wrist injury. Feel like Chase is going to be used in a lot of different ways which might limit his true RB carries, and I'm okay with this. Love having the kid on the field as he carries some big play ability with him. Anderson is hopefully adding some more size this year and looking forward to see how that translates with his game. Purifoy will be looking for carries I'm sure, and I honestly have no idea what his strengths are. For example last season, it seemed they really like getting Bruce in motion and getting him to the edge. Will that be how they use Purifoy? So, having said all that, the guy I hope has a breakout season is Dunn. Between he and Bruce, they are behind 2 seniors and may still not get as many touches, but it's a nice problem to have. Stay in the system, be patient, keep eating and continue to buy into the Coack Kramer philosophy, and their time to really shine will be as juniors. Go Bison!!

A1pigskin
03-26-2016, 09:14 PM
Sort of feel like he had it last season, especially after CW went down with the wrist injury. Feel like Chase is going to be used in a lot of different ways which might limit his true RB carries, and I'm okay with this. Love having the kid on the field as he carries some big play ability with him. Anderson is hopefully adding some more size this year and looking forward to see how that translates with his game. Purifoy will be looking for carries I'm sure, and I honestly have no idea what his strengths are. For example last season, it seemed they really like getting Bruce in motion and getting him to the edge. Will that be how they use Purifoy? So, having said all that, the guy I hope has a breakout season is Dunn. Between he and Bruce, they are behind 2 seniors and may still not get as many touches, but it's a nice problem to have. Stay in the system, be patient, keep eating and continue to buy into the Coack Kramer philosophy, and their time to really shine will be as juniors. Go Bison!!

All good stuff. I hoping to see one or two gain some big yards right away rather than waiting for half way through the season for a 100 yds. I can see King and Anderson doing this. Chase could but I think he will be used more for FB, TE, and RB.

BisoninNWMN
03-26-2016, 10:00 PM

King and Bruce will both go over 1000 yards.

GOBISON123
03-28-2016, 12:33 AM

Slightly off topic. I dont where the problem lies, Coach Kramer or our staff in charge of Defense, the boys at the back cannot tackle for shit. They all fly to the ball but just cannot stop the ball carrier on one-on-one tackles. They just drop down like they are playing flag football. It takes two or more players to bring the ball carrier down. This area needs some serious improvements during the off season.

ndsubison1
03-28-2016, 12:52 AM

I would assume Purifoy is more of a between the tackles guy

Bison Dan
03-28-2016, 12:33 PM
Slightly off topic. I dont where the problem lies, Coach Kramer or our staff in charge of Defense, the boys at the back cannot tackle for shit. They all fly to the ball but just cannot stop the ball carrier on one-on-one tackles. They just drop down like they are playing flag football. It takes two or more players to bring the ball carrier down. This area needs some serious improvements during the off season.
You're full of it. Just watched a replay of the UNI game last night and I didn't see any missed tackles and a lot of one-on one tackles. Maybe you are thinking of another team.

Vet70
03-28-2016, 12:50 PM

I think that this was an area of concern early in the season, but it certainly wasn't an issue in the playoffs.

HerdBot
03-29-2016, 02:28 AM
I think that this was an area of concern early in the season, but it certainly wasn't an issue in the playoffs.

I saw Grimsley miss a few vs Jacksonville State but if you compare where he finished the year where he started... HUGE improvements. With that being said, he needs to take it to the next level. Probably needs to add a little weight this summer.

56BISON73
03-29-2016, 02:34 AM

What is coach Kramers job? What is the job of the defensive coaches?:facepalm:

MAKBison
03-29-2016, 02:58 AM
What is coach Kramers job? What is the job of the defensive coaches?:facepalm:

I think he was just saying that he did not know if it was a strength/conditioning issue or a technique/position issue.

HerdBot
03-29-2016, 03:01 AM
http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/depth-chart-talk-some-new-guys-in-the-mix/

Depth chart going into Spring Ball:

LT Colin Conner, Zack J. Johnson
LG Zack Johnson, Zack Ziemer or Christian Triplett
C Austin Kuhnert, Tanner Volson
RG Jack Plankers, Luke Bacon
RT Landon Lechler, Andrew Trzebiatowski or Erik Olson
TE Connor Wentz, Jeff Illies
QB Easton Stick, Cole Davis
FB Brock Robbins, Garrett Malstrom
RB King Frazier or Chase Morlock, Bruce Anderson or Lance Dunn
WR RJ Urzendowski, Eric Perkins or Marquise Bridges
WR Darrius Shepherd, Dmitri Williams or Eric Perkins

LE Brad Ambrosius, Caleb Butler
DT Nate Tanguay, Grant Morgan
NG Aaron Steild, Blake Williams
RE Greg Menard, Stanley Jones or Jarrod Tuszka
SLB Pierre Gee-Tucker, Chris Board
MLB Nick Deluca, Matt Plank
WLB MJ Stumpf, Dan Marlette
CB Dakota Reid, Jaylaan Wimbush
SS Robbie Grimsley, Eric Bachmeier
FS Tre Dempsey, Isaac Cenescar
CB Jalen Allison, Dom Davis

PK Cam Pedersen
H Cole Davis
LS James Fisher
P Ian Gallagher
KR Bruce Anderson, Eric Perkins or Ty Brooks
PR Eric Perkins, Darrius Shepherd

Our defense on paper looks batshit crazy if the players take their game to the next level.

On offense we have a massive oline, a QB who went undefeated, a stable of running backs, and returning a handful of good receivers. TE has good size, decent experience, and a mix of matchup nightmares with guys like Illies who is a good receiver.

Not a ton of major question marks if everyone develops. Fullback is a question. Eastons passing skills are a question mark but I'm confident he will make major strides. The oline isn't a question mark but the rotation is. While Plankers is a giant, he's not nearly as mobile as Kelly. At LT, I'm pretty confident that one of those guys will step up. Obviously you can't replace Joe Haeg but you can improve as unit. Then again I remember being worried about replacing Turner and Haeg was pretty darn good. Colin Conner has a few years in the system .

As far as the depth chart goes... so many good players who will push these guys. You Know Hubbs, Darnell, and Carlton will make a push. Kelly will come in and challenge for playing time. Brinkman, Mercadel, Jaxson Browne, Cole Karcz, the younger Tuszka brother... tons of young players.

MAKBison
03-29-2016, 03:24 AM
Our defense on paper looks batshit crazy if the players take their game to the next level.

On offense we have a massive oline, a QB who went undefeated, a stable of running backs, and returning a handful of good receivers. TE has good size, decent experience, and a mix of matchup nightmares with guys like Illies who is a good receiver.

Not a ton of major question marks if everyone develops. Fullback is a question. Eastons passing skills are a question mark but I'm confident he will make major strides. The oline isn't a question mark but the rotation is. While Plankers is a giant, he's not nearly as mobile as Kelly. At LT, I'm pretty confident that one of those guys will step up. Obviously you can't replace Joe Haeg but you can improve as unit. Then again I remember being worried about replacing Turner and Haeg was pretty darn good. Colin Conner has a few years in the system .

As far as the depth chart goes... so many good players who will push these guys. You Know Hubbs, Darnell, and Carlton will make a push. Kelly will come in and challenge for playing time. Brinkman, Mercadel, Jaxson Browne, Cole Karcz, the younger Tuszka brother... tons of young players.

The question in my mind is not the level of talent. I am one that believes we have NEVER had this much talent on the team at one time. My question are do they desire to be perfect and are the willing to put in the time.

HerdBot
03-29-2016, 03:27 AM
The question in my mind is not the level of talent. I am one that believes we NEVER have had this much talent on the team at one time. My question are do they desire to be perfect and are the willing to put in the time.

Yep. Leadership will be so huge this year. Also the competition for starting roles will be huge.

BlueHawkAlumni
03-29-2016, 03:31 AM

They were young and inexperienced

MAKBison
03-29-2016, 03:32 AM
Yep. Leadership will be so huge this year. Also the competition for starting roles will be huge.

With the talent this team has, if it can duplicate the mindset of the 2013 team, it will be a very special year

GOBISON123
03-29-2016, 04:10 AM

I saw Grimsley miss a few vs Jacksonville State but if you compare where he finished the year where he started... HUGE improvements. With that being said, he needs to take it to the next level. Probably needs to add a little weight this summer.

They were young and inexperienced

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQdPE8f8BJQ
Starting from 2:04:22 mark I saw quite a few missed tackles, missing assignments, horse collar etc. This was during the playoffs.

HerdBot
03-29-2016, 04:23 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQdPE8f8BJQ
Starting from 2:04:22 mark I saw quite a few missed tackles, missing assignments, horse collar etc. This was during the playoffs.

They made mistakes, absolutely, but as the season went along they made way less mistakes and on top of it made big plays. That is to be expected when you replace 2 of the most experienced safeties in NDSU history with a true freshman and first time free safety. I will say this. Grimsley obviously isn't as good of a tackler as Heagle was but he is faster and has way better coverage skills. Kid will need a great offseason and camp. If he does he could develop into a mega stud.

GOBISON123
03-29-2016, 04:33 AM
They made mistakes, absolutely, but as the season went along they made way less mistakes and on top of it made big plays. That is to be expected when you replace 2 of the most experienced safeties in NDSU history with a true freshman and first time free safety. I will say this. Grimsley obviously isn't as good of a tackler as Heagle was but he is faster and has way better coverage skills. Kid will need a great offseason and camp. If he does he could develop into a mega stud.

I agree. (times 10)

Vet70
03-29-2016, 12:11 PM
--- the boys at the back cannot tackle for shit. They all fly to the ball but just cannot stop the ball carrier on one-on-one tackles. They just drop down like they are playing flag football. It takes two or more players to bring the ball carrier down.

Okay, even in the playoffs they were not perfect, but your first quote is hyperbole.

tony
03-29-2016, 07:46 PM
Okay, even in the playoffs they were not perfect, but your first quote is hyperbole.

Not to mention that Tre Dempsey is one of the best tackling DBs I've seen at NDSU.

CAS4127
03-29-2016, 08:08 PM
Not to mention that Tre Dempsey is one of the best tackling DBs I've seen at NDSU.

Once and if he gets there, true. He seems to still struggle with proper angles at times. They'll work on that this spring and fall tho.

EC8CH
03-30-2016, 02:08 AM

If Dempsey could put on a little more weight he'd be scary. Already punches above his weight class.

BlueHawkAlumni
03-30-2016, 06:29 PM
What about Board? Is he moving to olb?

ndsubison1
03-30-2016, 06:31 PM
What about Board? Is he moving to olb?

Moved there last season

BlueHawkAlumni
03-30-2016, 06:43 PM
Moved there last season

Wasn't sure if it was a permanent move or if he was just filling a need.

ZHerd
03-30-2016, 07:28 PM
Wasn't sure if it was a permanent move or if he was just filling a need.

Roster on GoBison has him listed as a LB

Alsen
04-01-2016, 07:41 AM
No hope there. Dan Marlette and Jaxson Brown are true breakout candidates.

KilldeerBison
04-01-2016, 04:49 PM
https://twitter.com/hashtag/boarddrill?src=hash

Link on twitter, board drill between C. Conner OT and (I think) A. Steidl DT. Good stuff.

17>1
04-01-2016, 05:45 PM

Link on twitter, board drill between C. Conner OT and (I think) A. Steidl DT. Good stuff.

That was cool to see. Conner looks like a giant!

Christopher Moen
04-01-2016, 05:55 PM

Reminds me of these guys:

http://i.imgur.com/Dnz46X5.gif

westnodak93bison
04-02-2016, 12:48 PM
Who are they? Has to be two different defensive players unless he changed pants?

ndsubison1
04-02-2016, 03:42 PM
Conner looks the part

IzzyFlexion
04-04-2016, 01:16 PM
Reminds me of these guys:

http://i.imgur.com/Dnz46X5.gif

Yeah...........a bullshit personal foul call on the left guy. Clearly, the sheep on the right lowered his head more deliberately!

17>1
04-04-2016, 04:43 PM
Who are they? Has to be two different defensive players unless he changed pants?

I think it was Cole Karcz, #53, DE vs Conner and then I think it was Stanley Jones, #94, DE vs Johnson.

bri-dog
04-04-2016, 05:16 PM
Dom tweeted that he will be posting injury updates / personnel changes later today.

Here's another clip of the board drill. Ben Ellefson starts it out, not sure he's up against.

The third one is Bryce Messner against his good buddy Jarrod Tuszka. Could Messner to OL be one of the changes? :)

https://twitter.com/NDSUFBRecruits/status/715889895865122816

Mr Meaty
04-04-2016, 06:10 PM
Dom tweeted that he will be posting injury updates / personnel changes later today.

Here's another clip of the board drill. Ben Ellefson starts it out, not sure he's up against.

The third one is Bryce Messner against his good buddy Jarrod Tuszka. Could Messner to OL be one of the changes? :)

Couple of those guys got the butts kicked.

mtoutfitter
04-05-2016, 12:10 AM
According to Dom's article Connor is getting the majority of reps at LT.

Bisonwinagn
04-05-2016, 04:26 AM
According to Dom's article Connor is getting the majority of reps at LT.

He was listed first on the depth chart so that's expected.

Bison_Pride
04-05-2016, 08:07 AM
To me it looked sorta like this:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-eG8VQRNP_Yg/UZz0o0BJ43I/AAAAAAAACug/sPQTchrmt9M/s1600/bison+jousting+GIF+2013-05-14_10-MOTION.gif

Connor is a beast.
Do they still do the Oklahoma drill, or has the board drill taken it's place?

Professor Chaos
04-05-2016, 03:06 PM
Some other interesting notes from Dom's blog post yesterday: http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2016-spring-ball-video-update-halfway-home/

Blake Williams is moving up the DT depth chart (still likely behind Tanguay, Steidl, and Morgan)
Ben Ellefson will be "in the mix" at TE in 2016
Ty Brooks is moving to offense for a couple weeks (likely in a Darius Anderson type role) to see if that's a better fit for him than DB
Dimitri Williams has stepped up as the 3rd WR behind RJ and Shepherd

HerdBot
04-06-2016, 02:43 AM
Some other interesting notes from Dom's blog post yesterday: http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2016-spring-ball-video-update-halfway-home/

Blake Williams is moving up the DT depth chart (still likely behind Tanguay, Steidl, and Morgan)
Ben Ellefson will be "in the mix" at TE in 2016
Ty Brooks is moving to offense for a couple weeks (likely in a Darius Anderson type role) to see if that's a better fit for him than DB
Dimitri Williams has stepped up as the 3rd WR behind RJ and Shepherd

Glad to hear Blake is moving on up. High hopes when we recruited him. Super athlete... football, wrestling, track, basketball. ..

X-Factor
04-10-2016, 01:03 AM
After reading the scrimmage notes, one name that stuck out to me was Ian. 47.8 yds per punt at 10 punts is pretty good. Does anyone know if this was a realistic sim of game environment or was pressure not applied by the defense? Maybe the SMU transfer will have more competition than expected this fall.

westnodak93bison
04-10-2016, 09:05 PM
After reading the scrimmage notes, one name that stuck out to me was Ian. 47.8 yds per punt at 10 punts is pretty good. Does anyone know if this was a realistic sim of game environment or was pressure not applied by the defense? Maybe the SMU transfer will have more competition than expected this fall.
Did you expect less of an average? He is from Big Foot High School.

b1son
04-10-2016, 09:14 PM

They are trying him at guard during spring ball.

mtoutfitter
04-10-2016, 10:02 PM

Hiding meaning there?? Possibly saying they're pretty stacked at the DL positions? Just throwing that out for discussion.....

A1pigskin
04-10-2016, 10:34 PM
Hiding meaning there?? Possibly saying they're pretty stacked at the DL positions? Just throwing that out for discussion.....

Losing Joe is a big loss to the line. Maybe coaches see something here.

Mr. Burgundy
04-11-2016, 08:31 PM
In the for what it is worth column......

Colin Connor at Offensive Tackle, Dimitri Williams at WR and Tanner Volson at Center are looking really really good. Several other young kids really flashing, but need to become more consistent. The fullback position is in great hands with a the young redshirt who is really athletic and wants to hit you. Finally, Nick DeLuca....well....he is special. Pretty much dominant at this point. Going to really have a special senior season at MLB.

BisonNation11
04-11-2016, 09:12 PM

Colin Connor at Offensive Tackle, Dimitri Williams at WR and Tanner Volson at Center are looking really really good. Several other young kids really flashing, but need to become more consistent. The fullback position is in great hands with a the young redshirt who is really athletic and wants to hit you. Finally, Nick DeLuca....well....he is special. Pretty much dominant at this point. Going to really have a special senior season at MLB.

We should really make a thread going into each season where we predict what incoming freshman/redshirt freshman will become the biggest star by the time they are seniors. I would have nailed DeLuca. Unfortunately, my wife is the only one I told and I can guarantee she's not going to remember me telling her multiple times. Glad to hear the lineman are producing so far through the spring. Really gets a guy excited for fall camp to see how much they've grown through the summer. Glad to hear FB isn't going to be a problem for us. Under utilized by solid football programs and glad the tradition of using one is still done here. By the end, they all become fan favorites.

SDbison
04-11-2016, 09:15 PM

Colin Connor at Offensive Tackle, Dimitri Williams at WR and Tanner Volson at Center are looking really really good. Several other young kids really flashing, but need to become more consistent. The fullback position is in great hands with a the young redshirt who is really athletic and wants to hit you. Finally, Nick DeLuca....well....he is special. Pretty much dominant at this point. Going to really have a special senior season at MLB. So will Volson be back up center, or will Kuhnert move back to guard? Is the redshirt you are speaking of at fullback Brock Robbins from Cavalier? Does he have a shot at starting?

Bison"FANatic"
04-11-2016, 09:22 PM
Any info on Darnell and Hubbs on the Dline, I am excited to see them play.

EndZoneQB
04-11-2016, 09:26 PM
We should really make a thread going into each season where we predict what incoming freshman/redshirt freshman will become the biggest star by the time they are seniors. I would have nailed DeLuca. Unfortunately, my wife is the only one I told and I can guarantee she's not going to remember me telling her multiple times. Glad to hear the lineman are producing so far through the spring. Really gets a guy excited for fall camp to see how much they've grown through the summer. Glad to hear FB isn't going to be a problem for us. Under utilized by solid football programs and glad the tradition of using one is still done here. By the end, they all become fan favorites.

No offense or anything, but I think the majority had DeLuca tabbed as a future star..

Professor Chaos
04-11-2016, 09:32 PM
No offense or anything, but I think the majority had DeLuca tabbed as a future star..
Some of us just had him as a future star DE. :)

BisonNation11
04-11-2016, 09:33 PM

No offense taken. I just don't remember hearing much about him. In fact, I thought a majority of the talk was if he would stay at MLB or move to DE considering his size. We've never had a kid his size come through at stay at the LB spot. Should be a real sign of how athletic he really is. And as an opposite (or maybe just to me), who would have thought Ryan Smith would have come in and done what he did?

EndZoneQB
04-11-2016, 09:38 PM
No offense taken. I just don't remember hearing much about him. In fact, I thought a majority of the talk was if he would stay at MLB or move to DE considering his size. We've never had a kid his size come through at stay at the LB spot. Should be a real sign of how athletic he really is. And as an opposite (or maybe just to me), who would have thought Ryan Smith would have come in and done what he did?

Definitely not 4mcrue. He wanted Jake Miller, who came and went pretty quietly at UND.

Herd
04-11-2016, 09:41 PM

Ya, Ian stole the show. He is breaking in nicely at punter.

17>1
04-11-2016, 10:31 PM

Also going to preface this with "no offense" but IMO, I really dislike when people do the "I told you so" thing. I know from reading your post, that you weren't really coming across like that, but the thread you suggested would not get any posts from me. Don't get me wrong, I love it when a guy becomes a super star, and has a chance to get national recognition, an opportunity at the next level, or breaks a bunch of records. But I love it even more when a kid like Nate Moody walks on, works his butt off, sticks around for 5 or 6 years, battles injuries, and ends up getting a key first down reception in a playoff game or makes a great block in a title game. That to me is what makes being a Bison special. I want them all the be successful, and so does Carson, and Nick, and Crock, and Kyle, and Mays, etc. So sure, I know it's a fan forum, and we could sit around and speculate who out of the young guys is going to be a "big star", but like you kind of said at the end of your post, in the end...I want them all to stay and be champions.

17>1
04-11-2016, 10:32 PM

Where are the scrimmage notes?

ZHerd
04-11-2016, 10:46 PM
Where are the scrimmage notes?

http://www.gobison.com/news/2016/4/9/football-bison-scrimmage-concludes-ninth-spring-practice.aspx

17>1
04-11-2016, 11:29 PM
http://www.gobison.com/news/2016/4/9/football-bison-scrimmage-concludes-ninth-spring-practice.aspx

Thank you!

Answer Guy
04-12-2016, 01:20 AM

I see what you did there.

SDbison
04-12-2016, 03:16 AM
Anybody notice the name of the high school Ian attended.......Big Foot. How appropriate!

HerdBot
04-12-2016, 05:49 AM
Not sure if this has been posted but here's an interview with Polasek before the Saturday scrimmage. Spoke highly of the group of running backs and Purifoy. Said it's the best athletes he's ever had as a group and wants 3 on the field and more to be receivers. Clearly he doesn't want to do something drastic like move Lechler to LT and had good things to say about Little Zack Johnson and Colin Connor. Talked about how long term Brock Robbins could upgrade the FB position. Spoke highly of Dimitri Williams but seemed kind of meh on the other guys outside of Shepherd and RJ. Or at leasr he didnt seem pumped up. Mentioned Ben Ellefson doing well.

http://kfgo.com/podcasts/fan-sports-saturday/983/ndsu-spring-football-update/

Rock
04-12-2016, 11:29 AM
Thanks Herd. Would anyone else be interested in a podcast thread? I like for driving.

Maybe a section for downloadable and another for streaming?

StL Bison Fan
04-12-2016, 01:56 PM
Thanks Herd. Would anyone else be interested in a podcast thread? I like for driving.

This is a good idea.

Scooter1
04-12-2016, 11:02 PM
Grimsley moving down into the nickel position on nickel coverage? That was interesting to hear. looks like cornerback position is a concern going into fall camp.

ndsubison1
04-12-2016, 11:12 PM
Grimsley moving down into the nickel position on nickel coverage? That was interesting to hear. looks like cornerback position is a concern going into fall camp.

He improved his play along the line of scrimmage though

reformedUNDfan
04-12-2016, 11:52 PM

I think what's happening is the safety position is overflowing

X-Factor
04-13-2016, 12:02 AM
I think what's happening is the safety position is overflowing
Yep, more talent there than CB, so they want their best players on the field during nickle.

HerdBot
04-13-2016, 02:35 AM

I would LOVE a podcast thread! Whenever I'm driving it would be awesome to have a thread a can click for any bison news.. whether it's a Kfgo podcast, dizzos den, Steves sports Saturday, national interviews with Klieman or talking Wentz, Bison Feedback. ..

Great idea

Bison20
04-13-2016, 12:17 PM
Seems like talented kids at CB, just hope they can pick up the defense schemes early. I do think Allison can be a shut down corner which opens up the play calling. Maybe Kelley will slide into the nickel CB or safety if the bring grimsley down to play nickel cb

westnodak93bison
04-13-2016, 12:22 PM
Seems like talented kids at CB, just hope they can pick up the defense schemes early. I do think Allison can be a shut down corner which opens up the play calling. Maybe Kelley will slide into the nickel CB or safety if the bring grimsley down to play nickel cb
Who is Kelley?

Vet70
04-13-2016, 12:41 PM
Who is Kelley?

I think he might mean Darren Kelley.

http://www.scout.com/college/north-dakota-state/story/1638500-ndscs-safety-darren-kelly-commits-to-ndsu

Farmer63
04-13-2016, 12:46 PM
Who is Kelley?

Darren Kelley - Junior Safety - Transfer from NDSCS in Wahpeton

Bison20
04-13-2016, 01:24 PM
I was talking about Darren Kelley, I thought they talked about him playing the nickel position.

EndZoneQB
04-13-2016, 02:49 PM

I don't think Kelley has the feet or hips to play CB. He looks a little stiff to play corner in our system.

ndsubison1
04-13-2016, 03:19 PM

Doesnt necessarily mean he will be better but I think Allison has better tools than MWill and CJ.

westnodak93bison
04-13-2016, 03:21 PM
Doesnt necessarily mean he will be better but I think Allison has better tools than MWill and CJ.
More speed but that doesn't necessarily translate

17>1
04-13-2016, 03:31 PM
Sort of sensing a bit of a similar vibe of unknowns at corner this year as we had at LB last year. Sure, we knew what Deluca was all about, but we didn't know for sure how Stumpf and PGT were going to do with the majority of snaps on the outside. The Montana game brought about a little bit of anxiety, and Bailey from UNI doing his thing didn't help that, and then USD happened, but we also know how the story ended with how well our defense and our LB core specifically played in the playoffs and championship game. Code Green was alive and well with a strong finish and I feel like the corners will be fine this year as well. Might be an adjustment period or some growing pains, but I'm excited for the new faces and to see what kind of ballers they are. Go Bison!!

Alsen
04-14-2016, 11:48 AM
Sort of sensing a bit of a similar vibe of unknowns at corner this year as we had at LB last year. Sure, we knew what Deluca was all about, but we didn't know for sure how Stumpf and PGT were going to do with the majority of snaps on the outside. The Montana game brought about a little bit of anxiety, and Bailey from UNI doing his thing didn't help that, and then USD happened, but we also know how the story ended with how well our defense and our LB core specifically played in the playoffs and championship game. Code Green was alive and well with a strong finish and I feel like the corners will be fine this year as well. Might be an adjustment period or some growing pains, but I'm excited for the new faces and to see what kind of ballers they are. Go Bison!!

I don't know anything about Dom Davis, but every time coach mentions him in front of a camera or in an audio interview, his face lights up and his the tone in his voice changes a little. I fully expect this kid is going to get every opportunity to win a starting a role; and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he is considered our number 1 by playoff time.

I was surprised they weren't moving Dempsey to CB. Maybe this decision is based on Dom Davis's potential.

I guess Dempsey could still be a 3rd CB on 3rd and longs if Kelly shows strong or beats out Grimsley.

westnodak93bison
04-14-2016, 11:58 AM
I don't know anything about Dom Davis, but every time coach mentions him in front of a camera or in an audio interview, his face lights up and his the tone in his voice changes a little. I fully expect this kid is going to get every opportunity to win a starting a role; and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he is considered our number 1 by playoff time.

I was surprised they weren't moving Dempsey to CB. Maybe this decision is based on Dom Davis's potential.

I guess Dempsey could still be a 3rd CB on 3rd and longs if Kelly shows strong or beats out Grimsley.
You really think a juco kid is gonna step in and beat out a kid that came in as a true freshman and won a starting safety spot? Our D is way too complicated imho. Has a juco kid ever come in and won a safety job at NDSU?

tony
04-14-2016, 12:56 PM
You really think a juco kid is gonna step in and beat out a kid that came in as a true freshman and won a starting safety spot? Our D is way too complicated imho. Has a juco kid ever come in and won a safety job at NDSU?

1. Grimsley is solid.
2. John Pike? Of course, we're talking a tiny sample size.

Larz
04-14-2016, 02:04 PM
John Pike! Killer.... remember the Georgia Southern game, my oh my.

EndZoneQB
04-14-2016, 02:11 PM
1. Grimsley is solid.
2. John Pike? Of course, we're talking a tiny sample size.

Martin played quite a bit in a hybrid role on a pretty awesome defense...

StL Bison Fan
04-14-2016, 02:14 PM
John Pike! Killer.... remember the Georgia Southern game, my oh my.

John Pike was fun to watch. Didnt he send the helmet to VanPelt?

Kujava23
04-14-2016, 07:09 PM

Great Point!!!

MY PREDICTION, alas SPORTSMEISTERS, Jalen Allison & Dom Davis Starting CB---nickel Dakota Reid----safeties Tre Dempsey & Robbie Grimsley

b1son
04-15-2016, 01:12 AM
Losing Joe is a big loss to the line. Maybe coaches see something here.

Not a 100% sure, have heard he can go back to DL if G doesn't work out. He was originally recruited as a center, but was moved to DL when Perry was in trouble

56BISON73
04-15-2016, 02:06 AM
]I don't know anything about Dom Davis, [/B]but every time coach mentions him in front of a camera or in an audio interview, his face lights up and his the tone in his voice changes a little. I fully expect this kid is going to get every opportunity to win a starting a role; and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he is considered our number 1 by playoff time.

:confused:

Winning is Gr8
04-15-2016, 01:57 PM

i love Grimsley but he did make quite a few angle errors and missed tackles (but he was only a true FR so that is somewhat expected)- that being said he came in and started by game 3 out of HS. I do believe if he could learn the complicated system that a JUCO that has played against better competition can do the same. Doubt our coaches recruited him thinking he couldn't beat out a starter- otherwise why give him a ship to sit on the bench- if that were the case recruit a HS safety to groom for 2018 when a starting spot opens up.

Bisonator98
04-15-2016, 02:06 PM

I must be missing something but who are you talking about? What juco do we have at safety?

Edit: Never mind, I just noticed the Kelly talk.:facepalm:

Bison"FANatic"
04-15-2016, 02:19 PM
I think he might mean Darren Kelley.

http://www.scout.com/college/north-dakota-state/story/1638500-ndscs-safety-darren-kelly-commits-to-ndsu

Interesting quote in that article by Kelley
"Another huge reason I decided on NDSU is because I really like the idea of playing for a national championship every year more than playing in a bowl game. I know at Toledo I wasn't likely going to be playing for championships and at NDSU I will be. I'm a competitive person and I want to have a realistic chance to achieve a championship every season."

17>1
04-15-2016, 02:40 PM
i love Grimsley but he did make quite a few angle errors and missed tackles (but he was only a true FR so that is somewhat expected)- that being said he came in and started by game 3 out of HS. I do believe if he could learn the complicated system that a JUCO that has played against better competition can do the same. Doubt our coaches recruited him thinking he couldn't beat out a starter- otherwise why give him a ship to sit on the bench- if that were the case recruit a HS safety to groom for 2018 when a starting spot opens up.

I just don't see this happening. Do you think our coaches could have recruited him for reasons other than beating out a starter? Say for depth, special teams, just pushing a kid in practice to get better? I don't remember off hand what our depth looked like last year at the safety position, but I'm pretty sure there were other options than pulling shirt on a true freshman and starting him in that complicated defense. The coaches obviously saw something they liked. The missed tackles and angle errors get pointed out too often in my opinion, but like you said, he was a true frosh so there had to be a learning curve and growing pains. I think he's going to come back this year bigger, faster, stronger, and playing with even more confidence as the starter.

CAS4127
04-15-2016, 03:04 PM
I just don't see this happening. Do you think our coaches could have recruited him for reasons other than beating out a starter? Say for depth, special teams, just pushing a kid in practice to get better? I don't remember off hand what our depth looked like last year at the safety position, but I'm pretty sure there were other options than pulling shirt on a true freshman and starting him in that complicated defense. The coaches obviously saw something they liked. The missed tackles and angle errors get pointed out too often in my opinion, but like you said, he was a true frosh so there had to be a learning curve and growing pains. I think he's going to come back this year bigger, faster, stronger, and playing with even more confidence as the starter.

If he's the best player at his position, he'll start. He wasn't brought in to warm the bench or to be a good practice player. The NDSU way is that the best players start, regardless of year or where they came from or when.

Bisonator98
04-15-2016, 03:06 PM
If he's the best player at his position, he'll start. He wasn't brought in to warm the bench or to be a good practice player. The NDSU way is that the best players start, regardless of year or where they came from or when.

Except at the QB position? :hide:

BisonNation11
04-15-2016, 03:13 PM
Except at the QB position? :hide:

I was going to say it so don't hide. Unbelievably rare occurrence. Heck of a problem to have. :biggrin:

17>1
04-15-2016, 03:40 PM

Can't disagree with the best guy starting. I'm just giving my opinion that the best guy will be Grimsley and will start ahead of Kelly. If I'm wrong, it won't be the first time, nor the last. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

HerdBot
04-15-2016, 03:40 PM

Due to the fact Grimsley has a year under his belt and made tremendous strides, he has a big advantage. He should see the usual improvements from year 1 to year 2.

Kelly is added depth. I could see him in Bryan Shepherd type role. It'd easier for a new guy to learn the slot position than learn safety.

If anything he will provide competition, depth, and special teams skills. He is pretty skilled. Had offers from UNI and some MAC schools

We also have a young safety in Jaxon Brown who we can't forget about.

17>1
04-15-2016, 03:42 PM
Due to the fact Grimsley has a year under his belt and made tremendous strides, he has a big advantage. He should see the usual improvements from year 1 to year 2.

Kelly is added depth. I could see him in Bryan Shepherd type role. It'd easier for a new guy to learn the slot position than learn safety.

If anything he will provide competition, depth, and special teams skills.

We also have a young safety in Jaxon Brown who we can't forget about.

Some people would not agree with this statement.

tony
04-16-2016, 07:00 PM
Daniel Gunderson had a good interview with Entz... at least, as far as I could tell as a distracted listener. Going to re-listen right now. Two good days in a row for 740's Bison coverage.

http://740thefan.com/podcasts/fan-sports-saturday/983/defense-rounding-into-shape/

X-Factor
04-16-2016, 10:41 PM
For what it's worth (not much at all), I'm going with Kelly at SS, Grimsley at FS, and Dempsey as #1 CB with Alison a very close #2. I know Kleiman is keeping a them steady so far; I just think those will be the top 4 guys come fall camp

westnodak93bison
04-16-2016, 10:45 PM
For what it's worth (not much at all), I'm going with Kelly at SS, Grimsley at FS, and Dempsey as #1 CB with Alison a very close #2. I know Kleiman is keeping a them steady so far; I just think those will be the top 4 guys come fall camp
Anyone know what kind of D they run at NDSCS?

westnodak93bison
04-22-2016, 02:25 AM
Bump...pretty dead topic....coaches must have a tight lid on practice

BisonNeil
04-22-2016, 03:56 AM

I will go on a limb and say there is no way in hell Grimsley gets beat out by Kelly at SS. I also think there is no way in hell Dempsey moves out of FS. Why would you want four new starters in the defensive secondary rather than two? What possible rationale would there be behind that? I would like to know why you think so.

HerdBot
04-22-2016, 04:03 AM
I will go on a limb and say there is no way in hell Grimsley gets beat out by Kelly at SS. I also think there is no way in hell Dempsey moves out of FS. Why would you want four new starters in the defensive secondary rather than two? What possible rationale would there be behind that? I would like to know why you think so.

:rofl: that's exactly what I was thinking. I have hears some rumblings that during nickel and dime, Grimsley may slide up to cover the slot.

I would go as far to predict, there is no way Kelly beats out one of the young kids for depth like Jaxon Browne or even Bachmeier. At least not early on.

17>1
04-22-2016, 04:14 AM
Bump...pretty dead topic....coaches must have a tight lid on practice

I agree. Sure, we have plenty on our plates with Carson and the draft, but I'm hardly hearing anything about how spring practices are going. There's gotta be more going on than wondering who our safety this fall will be, right? I'd like to hear about our line and how Conner at LT is looking, and any other new faces on the OL. I'd be curious about how the young depth guys inside on the DL are performing. I know our 2 starting corners are banged up, but how are their potential backups shaping up. Chase and his possible role this year, being used in multiple looks, and how is Easton looking in the passing game. Guess we'll know a lot more on Saturday.

EC8CH
04-22-2016, 05:34 AM
I agree. Sure, we have plenty on our plates with Carson and the draft, but I'm hardly hearing anything about how spring practices are going. There's gotta be more going on than wondering who our safety this fall will be, right? I'd like to hear about our line and how Conner at LT is looking, and any other new faces on the OL. I'd be curious about how the young depth guys inside on the DL are performing. I know our 2 starting corners are banged up, but how are their potential backups shaping up. Chase and his possible role this year, being used in multiple looks, and how is Easton looking in the passing game. Guess we'll know a lot more on Saturday.

Here ya go:

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/five-players-to-watch-in-green-and-gold-game/

DM05
04-22-2016, 12:50 PM

In a perfect world, Grimsley and Dempsey would stay put. One scenario where I could see them moving a bit would be to get the 4 best DB's on the field. There has been some injuries to young CB's this spring that has limited their reps. If the combo that gives us the best chance to win on August 27th is Allison and Dempsey at the corners, Kelley (or even Jaxon Brown) at SS, and Grimsley at FS, that is who they should go with. I don't think that will happen, Kelley probably won't come in and be so ridiculously outstanding at safety to merit a complete shakeup, but I think it's nice that Dempsey has some experience at corner just in case.

Really glad to hear that Connor and Volson have stepped up this spring. Hope to see a lot of guys earn time on the OL in prep for 2017.

bruinbison
04-22-2016, 01:27 PM
Here ya go:

And I'll add Ty Brooks to the list of who I'll be watching (hey, a bruin!)

http://www.wday.com/sports/football/4015197-ty-brooks-getting-reps-offense-during-ndsu-spring-ball

WDAY video on Brooks and his position switch from CB to RB.
Will work on slot receiver later (summer camp).
Also will be watching for him on special teams (returns?).

Professor Chaos
04-22-2016, 01:47 PM
I'll be interested to watch the entire D-line outside of the known commodities in Ambrosius, Menard, and Tanguay. Last year towards the end of the year those were the guys who just started dominating which took the defense to a whole new level and, despite losing Schaetz, I think they'll be even better this year with the increased depth. I'd expect they'll play offense vs defense again and the defense will dominate the scoring. Maybe they should spot the offense 20-30 points??? :)

17>1
04-22-2016, 02:30 PM
Here ya go:

Well geez, that answered most of my questions, haha. Thanks!

17>1
04-22-2016, 02:33 PM
I'll be interested to watch the entire D-line outside of the known commodities in Ambrosius, Menard, and Tanguay. Last year towards the end of the year those were the guys who just started dominating which took the defense to a whole new level and, despite losing Schaetz, I think they'll be even better this year with the increased depth. I'd expect they'll play offense vs defense again and the defense will dominate the scoring. Maybe they should spot the offense 20-30 points??? :)

Yes, that write up about Stanley Jones got me pretty jacked up. This defense, if everyone stays pretty healthy (knock on wood), is gonna be lights out.

Bisonator98
04-22-2016, 06:25 PM

http://www.wday.com/sports/football/4015197-ty-brooks-getting-reps-offense-during-ndsu-spring-ball

Looking forward to seeing Ty out there this season. I think he's going to be an exciting player to watch!

X-Factor
04-23-2016, 01:34 AM
I get what you're saying, Neil, and you're probably right. I just suspect that Kelly is going to be an exceptional player that will be difficult to keep off the field. He also isn't likely fast enough to play for the open CB spot, so if he plays it has to be safety. From Grimsley's HS days he may be a better FS, and we all know Dempsey is more than capable at CB. It is probably not likely all that switching happens in the end on an already fantastic D, so we will have to wait and see how it all shakes out.

Anyone know if Kelly attended some spring practices like he said he would? I saw that as key to him understanding our defense by this fall. These guys have enough going on with new school and classes, etc.

EndZoneQB
04-23-2016, 02:24 AM
I get what you're saying, Neil, and you're probably right. I just suspect that Kelly is going to be an exceptional player that will be difficult to keep off the field. He also isn't likely fast enough to play for the open CB spot, so if he plays it has to be safety. From Grimsley's HS days he may be a better FS, and we all know Dempsey is more than capable at CB. It is probably not likely all that switching happens in the end on an already fantastic D, so we will have to wait and see how it all shakes out.

Anyone know if Kelly attended some spring practices like he said he would? I saw that as key to him understanding our defense by this fall. These guys have enough going on with new school and classes, etc.

I don't think it's the speed that is the concern in coverage. Different kind of athlete outside usually, I don't think he has the feet or hip flexibility you need to play CB. Looks decently fast, just not quick in the short bursts you need.

Catman
04-23-2016, 05:51 PM
Anybody know what happened to B Sikes ?

HerdBot
04-23-2016, 09:07 PM
Anybody know what happened to B Sikes ?

Good catch. Seeing how good Issac Cenescar looked today and with Jaxon Brown and an emerging Bachmeier and an incoming juco in Kelly. ..probably got buried in the depth chart

Mr Meaty
04-23-2016, 10:12 PM
Dakota Ried had a tough day. He will get better.

Alsen
04-23-2016, 10:53 PM

After watching his highlights I was really wondering why they wanted him at CB in the first place. The kid has a jump cut that is like watching Barry Sanders. He has the potential to be electric out there. Ball security will be paramount for him. I wouldn't expect much until the later part of the year though.

EC8CH
04-23-2016, 10:56 PM
After watching his highlights I was really wondering why they wanted him at CB in the first place. The kid has a jump cut that is like watching Barry Sanders. He has the potential to be electric out there. Ball security will be paramount for him. I wouldn't expect much until the later part of the year though.

I thought Brooks looked good at RB too, so did demarius. Bison have too many good running backs, good problem to have.

HerdBot
04-23-2016, 11:08 PM
So when I first heard Dallas Freeman was having a great camp, I thought it was over blown camp hype. After seeing him today, wow! Where did this kid come from?

westnodak93bison
04-24-2016, 12:03 AM
So when I first heard Dallas Freeman was having a great camp, I thought it was over blown camp hype. After seeing him today, wow! Where did this kid come from?
MN?

gumby013
04-24-2016, 12:27 AM
MN?

Near the outlet mall.

westnodak93bison
04-24-2016, 12:28 AM
Near the outlet mall.
Kind of

stevdock
04-24-2016, 12:42 AM
Is it too early to be concerned about the jump ball pass every time a team gets to the end zone?

EC8CH
04-24-2016, 12:47 AM
Is it too early to be concerned about the jump ball pass every time a team gets to the end zone?

CB's will be interesting.

HerdBot
04-24-2016, 06:22 AM

The one was vs a backup (Benot?) who is 5-8. Davis and Reid kind of struggled today. I hope Quinton McCoy can finally see the field. Need some height out there. Heck the true freshman from Florida could compete. Never been a fan of the short corners we've had like Champion unless they are in the slot. Davis struggled a bit but even on the play he got burned on you could see he's a great athlete as it was amazing he actually recovered quick enough to commit the PI penalty. More reps are needed obviously

yopaulie
04-24-2016, 08:07 AM

St. Michael, MN. Has been a walk on for two seasons now.

b1son
05-25-2016, 05:43 PM
Bryce will be going into fall camp at guard, sounds like coaches see something in him.

mtoutfitter
05-29-2016, 06:39 PM
Did I miss it earlier......see that Gochenour is no longer on the roster.

Alsen
05-30-2016, 04:35 PM
Is it an injury? Maybe he is just not available this spring?

HerdBot
05-30-2016, 05:24 PM

Is it an injury? Maybe he is just not available this spring?

Typically if someone is injured they will still keep their name on the roster so I would assume he's no longer on the team. Tough task to crack the depth chart with a ton of guys ahead of him and some pretty talented linebackers coming in. A little concerned long at middle with DeLuca being a senior and the #2 guy Plank will only have 1 year. We have Beau Polly who looks like a middle linebacker. Wouldn't be surprised to see an OLB move to the middle or even Jabril Cox but middle linebacker is a really really tough position for a young kid to learn quickly.

Alsen
06-01-2016, 08:08 AM
Cox played QB and safety in HS. I think he will need at least a redshirt year to learn the LB position. He will likely project to assume Gee-Tuckers job.

Coach mentioned getting Marlette some work in the middle. I get the impression they are in a real quandry with Marlette. He is probably good enough right now to unseat Gee-Tucker but his future with the team isn't at that position, so what do you do?

Could be Brinkley,Marlette and Cox in 17.

Rixen
06-01-2016, 09:32 PM
Looks like Andrew Trzebiatowski is no longer on the team according to Gobison.com roster. Hope Bacon and ZJJ are ready for some OT reps this year.

Tony Almeida
06-01-2016, 09:38 PM
Looks like Andrew Trzebiatowski is no longer on the team according to Gobison.com roster. Hope Bacon and ZJJ are ready for some OT reps this year.

Too bad, he was good size.

Trapped in CA
06-23-2016, 02:20 AM
Gochenour has left NDSU to attend school @ Iowa. Much closer to home.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

BisonNeil
06-25-2016, 06:38 PM

I went to my file that I keep to track attrition rates for each class and he isn't listed on any of recruiting announcements put out by GoBison. He must have been a walk on and not even a PWO.

Farmer63
06-30-2016, 03:18 PM
I went to my file that I keep to track attrition rates for each class and he isn't listed on any of recruiting announcements put out by GoBison. He must have been a walk on and not even a PWO.

I believe he was a PWO in the 2015 class. I list Tre Fort, Tyler Glass, Max Haskins, Cam Pederson, Michael Veldman, and Andrew Trzebiatowski as being the PWO's for that class.

TwinCityBison
07-01-2016, 03:15 PM
Where did Veldman transfer too or is he still at NDSU. Did not see him on the Spring Roster ?

HerdBot
07-02-2016, 06:38 PM
Where did Veldman transfer too or is he still at NDSU. Did not see him on the Spring Roster ?

He left last year super early I think.