PDA

View Full Version : Randy Hedberg

TransAmBison
01-28-2016, 04:50 PM
So all this praise on Carson Wentz has to at least be partially due to our qb coach, Randy Hedberg. This isn't the first qb he will have gotten into the NFL. I really wonder how big of an impact is he for our team? I'm also wondering if Brock would have had more of a chance at landing a spot in the NFL if he had been coached by Hedberg for a year or two.

BisonFanAnn
01-28-2016, 05:01 PM
More than one comment of "well coached" coming from Senior Bowl tweets.

I think it's safe to say that Klieman has done a suburb job in his first two years. He brought in (or in some cases, retained) a terrific coaching staff that the players respond well to and like.

Thank you, Coach Hedberg! Can't wait to see what he can do with Easton and Cole in the upcoming seasons.

Professor Chaos
01-28-2016, 05:05 PM
No doubt, there also has to be something said for well Stick played getting thrust into the starting lineup mid-season as well. The players deserve credit but I'm sure they'd be the first to tell you so do the coaches and Hedberg worked with those guys more than any other coach (well, except maybe Kramer) over the last 2 years.

BisonCardinal
01-28-2016, 05:20 PM
A quarterbacks only coach like Hedberg is kind of a rarity in the FCS, isn't it? Most programs probably can't afford that luxury. I think it is paying off big time here.

1998braves64
01-28-2016, 05:22 PM
Likely will be here until he feels the need to retire too. Don't think he has any aspirations to be anything more than he already as he's already getting up there in age.

Got the chance to introduce myself to him last summer at the youth camps as he went to HS with several relatives.

BisonTru
01-28-2016, 05:43 PM
So all this praise on Carson Wentz has to at least be partially due to our qb coach, Randy Hedberg. This isn't the first qb he will have gotten into the NFL. I really wonder how big of an impact is he for our team? I'm also wondering if Brock would have had more of a chance at landing a spot in the NFL if he had been coached by Hedberg for a year or two.

Hedberg absolutely deserves some credit for Wentz's success. However, with Jensen I just don't think he had some of the god given ability to be a pro QB, specifically the arm strength. Wentz, Hedberg, Polasek, Klieman all deserve a ton of credit for where Wentz is today, but I think all of them would admit Wentz has some natural talent and athletic abilities.

Again, nothing against Wentz, there are a ton of guys with the make up and talent that he has that never get any where close to where he is at.

Kujava23
01-28-2016, 05:44 PM
Coach Hedberg is a GREAT asset to NDSU. He is a very likable guy that does recruiting in state and I think does a lot with coaches clinic.

He is a tremendous coach that COACHES UP our talented qb's with finer details to their position that helps them take their game to the NEXT level. (don't mean NFL--just mean improves their games)

I HOPE he continues to coach the game because what he does for our qb's is tremendous.

56BISON73
01-28-2016, 06:01 PM

This just cant be true. A couple of our resident experts have called him small time D2. So he couldnt of had any impact on our players. Even though he played in the NFL=---small time is small time. Right?:biggrin:

EC8CH
01-28-2016, 08:33 PM
He always seems so cool and calm. Seems like the perfect personality for a QB coach.

VirginiaBison
01-28-2016, 10:11 PM
The hidden message in all the Senior Bowl run up is that NDSU has a superb coaching staff that can develop any willing recruit into a potential NFL prospect as well as any FBS team coaching staff... plus you get more personal attention at NDSU.... surely this is not being missed by FBS potential recruits who are likely down any FBC team depth roster...

perthbison
01-29-2016, 02:46 AM
The hidden message in all the Senior Bowl run up is that NDSU has a superb coaching staff that can develop any willing recruit into a potential NFL prospect as well as any FBS team coaching staff... plus you get more personal attention at NDSU.... surely this is not being missed by FBS potential recruits who are likely down any FBC team depth rostehttp://www.bisonville.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1097637r...some of this publicity we are getting just isn't for sale anywhere. you can't go out and buy it

thundarsdaddy
01-29-2016, 03:46 PM
Great thread T.A.B.

Great seeing you guys and swimming with the padawons...lol

Hedberg was/is certainly a great coach and influence for all the QB's. Plus he's a great guy.

A1pigskin
01-30-2016, 01:54 PM
Coach has done a phenomenal job.

westnodak93bison
01-31-2016, 09:18 AM
Very personable guy.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

wtffootballfan
01-31-2016, 07:15 PM
Hedberg was a NFL qb for Tampa Bay. He knows what it takes to be a NFL qb.

Biz101on
02-01-2016, 12:54 AM
some of this publicity we are getting just isn't for sale anywhere. you can't go out and buy it

So true. I'm always glad when coaches like Hedberg and Kramer get a portion of their due. I'm sure the impact these coaches, and the others in our program that are behind the scene, have on the team, will carry over and be valuable wherever they end up.

bisonp
02-01-2016, 03:55 PM
Hedberg was a NFL qb for Tampa Bay. He knows what it takes to be a NFL qb.

Kind of. Making the NFL is a huge accomplishment. And I'm not trying to be a downer here, but he does hold the dubious distinction of having the worst passer rating in NFL history.

It's great to see how he stuck with the game he loves and is ending up with some well-earned success and recognition again as he nears retirement.

td577
02-01-2016, 05:08 PM
Kind of. Making the NFL is a huge accomplishment. And I'm not trying to be a downer here, but he does hold the dubious distinction of having the worst passer rating in NFL history.

It's great to see how he stuck with the game he loves and is ending up with some well-earned success and recognition again as he nears retirement.

I am not saying he didn't earn it, but he was an 8th round draft pick out of Minot State named the opening day starter for the worst team in the NFL in their second season. Probably the worst team in NFL history. He probably should have been on a different development track. I imagine the lessons learned in that season were pretty spectacular.

Vet70
02-01-2016, 05:15 PM
I am not saying he didn't earn it, but he was an 8th round draft pick out of Minot State named the opening day starter for the worst team in the NFL in their second season. Probably the worst team in NFL history. He probably should have been on a different development track. I imagine the lessons learned in that season were pretty spectacular.

One of McKay's Tampa teams was so bad that when a reporter asked him about their execution he said that he was in favor of it.

jub1982
02-03-2016, 11:11 PM
Hedberg also deserves a lot of credit for maintaining NDSU's monopoly of instate recruits. Based on his reputation with North Dakota high school coaches, I was worried Bubba could make a few inroads. That obviously hasn't happened.

TateMosersneighbor
02-09-2016, 05:10 PM
Hedberg also deserves a lot of credit for maintaining NDSU's monopoly of instate recruits. Based on his reputation with North Dakota high school coaches, I was worried Bubba could make a few inroads. That obviously hasn't happened.

Bubba's opening line to a ND kid (Chris Farley voice when he was interviewing Paul McCartney): "Remember when we beat Grand Valley for the D2 title?"
Hedberg's opening line to a ND kid (Ronald Reagan voice, circa the 80s): "We need your help to continue to build on Bison tradition...are you willing to come work hard with us?"

HerdistheWord
06-17-2020, 10:27 PM
Video In the article is an interview with Randy Hedberg.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/QBU-quarterback-rankings-college-football-NFL-Draft-picks-148222789/#148222789_1

TAILG8R
06-18-2020, 12:57 AM
Video In the article is an interview with Randy Hedberg.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/QBU-quarterback-rankings-college-football-NFL-Draft-picks-148222789/#148222789_1Great interview " and go Bison!". Love it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BisonCardinal
06-18-2020, 12:38 PM
Glad Coach Hedberg is getting recognition. He has paid his dues.

I think when Klieman hired Hedberg as a QB coach, wasn't it kind of unusual for an FCS program to be able to afford a QB only coach? With the recognition that our QB's have brought to the program, other than Jim Kramer, he is our best ROI assistant coach, I believe.

1998braves64
09-07-2020, 03:44 AM
Randy makes the trip back to Parshall to re-dedicate the field named for him.

https://www.kfyrtv.com/2020/09/05/coach-randy-hedberg-honored-with-namesake-on-field-in-parshall/

Yes 9man school parshall has field turf now.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

bajadanny
09-07-2020, 03:22 PM
Great interview " and go Bison!". Love it.

Man it will be impossible to replace this great coach, hope we have him for several more years

HerdBot
09-07-2020, 04:09 PM
Glad Coach Hedberg is getting recognition. He has paid his dues.

I think when Klieman hired Hedberg as a QB coach, wasn't it kind of unusual for an FCS program to be able to afford a QB only coach? With the recognition that our QB's have brought to the program, other than Jim Kramer, he is our best ROI assistant coach, I believe.

Hedberg is the most experienced coach and now he is doing what he is best at. It's being the best at your best skill. It's a perfect fit

southcliffbison
09-07-2020, 09:40 PM
Man it will be impossible to replace this great coach, hope we have him for several more years

Agree with this. I played against Hedberg in his Minot State days so that makes him in that 67 to 68 year old range. NDSU is fortunate that he hasn't retired, but why would someone stop doing what he loves? Good for him and good for the Bison.

bajadanny
09-08-2020, 12:42 AM
Agree with this. I played against Hedberg in his Minot State days so that makes him in that 67 to 68 year old range. NDSU is fortunate that he hasn't retired, but why would someone stop doing what he loves? Good for him and good for the Bison.

I think he is more like 63-64

Bison03
09-08-2020, 12:43 AM
I think he is only enough now where I think he will stay in North Dakota and coach here as long as he wants. I guarantee he could have gone with Klieman.

IzzyFlexion
09-08-2020, 01:01 AM
He will be 66 in December.

Twincitybizon
09-08-2020, 02:14 AM
Wiki page lists his birthday as Izzy mentioned correctly

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randy_Hedberg

bajadanny
09-08-2020, 02:28 AM
He will be 66 in December.

Any time past 66 is a bonus

BisonCardinal
09-08-2020, 12:31 PM
Would be okay for him to pull a Bill Snyder and retire at 79.

DORMIE
09-08-2020, 04:01 PM
Just a mere lad. I'll be 78 on Sat.

AKBison
09-10-2020, 02:58 PM
Sorry coach, we need one more QB out of ya before you call it quits....

How many active QB coaches have helped produce three straight NFL draft picks, two of which are in the first round and maybe even among the first 5 pics? Get on the job Audit, I will hang up and listen.

tony
09-10-2020, 06:10 PM
Just a mere lad. I'll be 78 on Sat.

Ha! I was just thinking that I am only one person separated from the War of 1812 because I was lucky enough to know the son of a Civil War cavalryman (aka my great grandpa) and he undoubtedly knew people who were born in the late 1700s. Heck, you might be separated by only one person from the War of Independence!

So you have that going for you.

56BISON73
09-10-2020, 10:39 PM
Ha! I was just thinking that I am only one person separated from the War of 1812 because I was lucky enough to know the son of a Civil War cavalryman (aka my great grandpa) and he undoubtedly knew people who were born in the late 1700s. Heck, you might be separated by only one person from the War of Independence!

So you have that going for you.

I read something a few months ago that there is a family that have grand or great grand children from a precivil war president?

EC8CH
09-10-2020, 10:54 PM
I read something a few months ago that there is a family that have grand or great grand children from a precivil war president?

John Tyler.

https://www.considerable.com/entertainment/history/president-john-tyler-grandsons/

AKBison
09-10-2020, 11:39 PM

I called Bullshit until I read the article. Wow. What this means is that 56 needs needs a new 20 year old wife with whom he can father twins with on his death bed. How else are we supposed to keep Bison pride alive in the 2100's. Definitely not counting on Lakes grandkids

Hammersmith
09-10-2020, 11:41 PM
John Tyler.

https://www.considerable.com/entertainment/history/president-john-tyler-grandsons/

Stripping it down to just the facts:

John Tyler - 10th President; b. 1790 d. 1862; in office 1841-1845
- was 54(and president) when he married a 24 year old(2nd wife)
- had 7 children with her
- youngest was born in 1860 when Tyler was 70

Lyon Gardiner Tyler - b. 1853 d. 1935
- 4th child of John Tyler's second marriage
- was 68 when he married a 33 year old(also 2nd wife)
- 2 of the children from that marriage are still alive

BTW, Tyler was the first president to not be elected into that office. He succeeded William Henry Harrison after Harrison died in office just one month into his presidency. Harrison was the guy who gave a two-hour inauguration speech in the cold rain without wearing a coat and then died from illness a month later.

56BISON73
09-10-2020, 11:42 PM
I called Bullshit until I read the article. Wow. What this means is that 56 needs needs a new 20 year old wife with whom he can father twins with on his death bed. How else are we supposed to keep Bison pride alive in the 2100's. Definitely not counting on Lakes grandkids

Im willing to do my part. My wife may put up a bit of a tussle.

AKBison
09-11-2020, 05:27 AM
Im willing to do my part. My wife may put up a bit of a tussle.

Tell her it's for the team, she'll understand. ;)

MankatoBison
09-11-2020, 02:47 PM
I knew a lady in her late 90s in 2010-2011 or so, who's DAD voted for abraham lincoln.

Imagine being able to say "yeah, my dad voted for abraham lincoln" lol, wow

Bison bison
09-11-2020, 05:11 PM
?

I could vote for Abraham Lincoln this November.

In fact, I think I might.

CalBison97
09-11-2020, 10:32 PM
Continuing to keep this thread derailed, I’ve always thought this was quite interesting:

https://youtu.be/1RPoymt3Jx4

El_Chapo
10-20-2020, 10:10 PM
QB Film Room
@QBFilmRoom
·
41m
An observation. Carson Wentz' feet are out of sync too often. He needs to get back to fundamentals of Bill Walsh style mechanics but at the same time Pederson is obsessed with sticking him in the gun & doing all sorts of RPO type stuff. NDSU staff may be better QB coaches..

southcliffbison
10-21-2020, 12:00 AM
QB Film Room
@QBFilmRoom
·
41m
An observation. Carson Wentz' feet are out of sync too often. He needs to get back to fundamentals of Bill Walsh style mechanics but at the same time Pederson is obsessed with sticking him in the gun & doing all sorts of RPO type stuff. NDSU staff may be better QB coaches..

Ask the Cowboys what they think of their coaching staff.

mtoutfitter
10-21-2020, 12:17 AM
QB Film Room
@QBFilmRoom
·
41m

You mean Randy Hedberg?? The one you called "An old white guy from ND that Trey Lance couldn't learn anything from"

El_Chapo
10-21-2020, 12:47 AM
You mean Randy Hedberg?? The one you called "An old white guy from ND that Trey Lance couldn't learn anything from"

nope didnt say that

. but he is the luckiest man on planet. Wentz/Stick/Lance.

GreenfieldBison
10-21-2020, 01:04 AM
nope didnt say that

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it." Thomas Jefferson.

semobison
10-21-2020, 01:06 AM
nope didnt say that

Your so full of shit. If Hedberg was from Minnesota he would be your hero! You would have been pushing for the Vikings to hire him years ago.
I think Wentz/Stick/Lance would say that they were the lucky ones!

WeAreThePride
10-21-2020, 02:10 AM
nope didnt say that

Yeah, what a lucky man to just so happen to have taught the art of quarterbacking to 4 straight pro caliber men.

What a fluke.

El_Chapo
10-21-2020, 02:11 AM
Your so full of shit. If Hedberg was from Minnesota he would be your hero! You would have been pushing for the Vikings to hire him years ago.
I think Wentz/Stick/Lance would say that they were the lucky ones!

oh cmon. to get 3 natural talents like that is crazy good.

he was at st cloud state for years, hes the most minnesotan guy on staff (until grant olson came back)

WeAreThePride
10-21-2020, 02:54 AM
oh cmon. to get 3 natural talents like that is crazy good.

he was at st cloud state for years, hes the most minnesotan guy on staff (until grant olson came back)

The world is full of talent. Nothing on this Earth is more common than unfulfilled talent. Every college QB at every D1 school has natural talent.

To mold them into superior players takes far more than something as basic as talent.

THEsocalledfan
10-21-2020, 01:33 PM
The world is full of talent. Nothing on this Earth is more common than unfulfilled talent. Every college QB at every D1 school has natural talent.

To mold them into superior players takes far more than something as basic as talent.

100% agree. I can't help but wonder if Brock would have been even better with Randy.

Hammerhead
10-21-2020, 02:41 PM
He may also play a role in evaluating recruits and saw that Lance had the potential to be a great QB while the Gophers wanted him to play defense.

Yeah, what a lucky man to just so happen to have taught the art of quarterbacking to 4 straight pro caliber men.

What a fluke.

Green-N-Gold
10-21-2020, 03:08 PM
100% agree. I can't help but wonder if Brock would have been even better with Randy.

Great point. Even so, for my money with a game on the line my order of who I want in the huddle is:

Jensen
Stick
Wentz
Lance

Karen
10-21-2020, 03:40 PM
Great point. Even so, for my money with a game on the line my order of who I want in the huddle is:

Jensen
Stick
Wentz
Lance

Now this is a guy who came here to stir the pot.

Green-N-Gold
10-21-2020, 04:08 PM
Now this is a guy who came here to stir the pot.

It's the off-season. LOL.

WeAreThePride
10-22-2020, 02:05 AM
It's the off-season. LOL.

Ugh. Don't remind me.

Uffda
10-22-2020, 06:01 AM
Likely will be here until he feels the need to retire too. Don't think he has any aspirations to be anything more than he already as he's already getting up there in age.

Got the chance to introduce myself to him last summer at the youth camps as he went to HS with several relatives.

What is the surname of your Parshall relatives? I had cousins who grew up there. I grew up in New Town and was fortunate to be able to watch Hedberg dominate in every sport in played.

Uffda
10-22-2020, 06:06 AM
He'll be 66 at the end of December.

The Great Randini
10-22-2020, 01:44 PM
What is the surname of your Parshall relatives? I had cousins who grew up there. I grew up in New Town and was fortunate to be able to watch Hedberg dominate in every sport in played.

I remember playing against him in college , the ball hummed when he threw it and sounded like a fastball hitting the catcher mitt on short routes

totoinfl
10-22-2020, 02:34 PM

Assuming Zeb is guy for the next season (spring or fall). I am curious how Randy can change his game. All the arm talent in the world, but not as mobile as others.

TAILG8R
10-22-2020, 04:33 PM
Assuming Zeb is guy for the next season (spring or fall). I am curious how Randy can change his game. All the arm talent in the world, but not as mobile as others.

I think we may be surprised how mobile he can be. He's not going to be Lance or Wentz level mobile but my guess is that he can get his yards when needed. But yes that will change the play calling and I assume it does change Hedberg's approach a bit. But I have to think the majority of what Hedberg is teaching these guys is the knowledge of the game and reading defenses which probably doesn't change much based on the ability to run.

THEsocalledfan
10-22-2020, 04:35 PM
I think we may be surprised how mobile he can be. He's not going to be Lance or Wentz level mobile but my guess is that he can get his yards when needed. But yes that will change the play calling and I assume it does change Hedberg's approach a bit. But I have to think the majority of what Hedberg is teaching these guys is the knowledge of the game and reading defenses which probably doesn't change much based on the ability to run.

Don't forget technique......he said in multiple interviews Trey needed a ton of work going under center; sounded like Hedberg basically taught him the appropriate footwork. (Not super easy.....if you never tried to take a coherent 5-7 step drop like QBs do in drills, it is harder than you think.....)

TAILG8R
10-22-2020, 04:49 PM
Don't forget technique......he said in multiple interviews Trey needed a ton of work going under center; sounded like Hedberg basically taught him the appropriate footwork. (Not super easy.....if you never tried to take a coherent 5-7 step drop like QBs do in drills, it is harder than you think.....)

Great point, yes technique would be a big thing taught and review endlessly by the QB coach.

IzzyFlexion
10-22-2020, 09:54 PM
Noland's rushing stats in high school were very low as well.

55 carries for 34 yards. The site (Max Preps) didn't say which of these attempts were for negative/sack yards.

A category further down on the page identifies "All Purpose Yards" with that same total (34 yards) on 34 rushing attempts. So the additional 21 attempts may have been sacks.

Interesting too, that he only played 14 HS games. 3 as a junior and 11 as a senior (at QB). Perhaps he was converted to QB late during his junior season.

1998braves64
10-23-2020, 03:18 AM
What is the surname of your Parshall relatives? I had cousins who grew up there. I grew up in New Town and was fortunate to be able to watch Hedberg dominate in every sport in played.Sent you a PM.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

El_Chapo
03-02-2021, 12:48 AM
O v e r r a t e d !

2014-2020

Oh, you're a Naturally Gifted NFL caliber QB... here's the ball, have fun.

Oh shit.

EC8CH
03-02-2021, 12:53 AM
O v e r r a t e d !

2014-2020

Oh shit.

It's cause he's from small town ND isn't it?

El_Chapo
03-02-2021, 12:58 AM
It's cause he's from small town ND isn't it?

st cloud st.

mtoutfitter
03-02-2021, 01:05 AM
O v e r r a t e d !

2014-2020

Oh shit.

You'd have to sit on your mother's shoulders just to kiss Randy Hedberg's ass!

TransAmBison
03-02-2021, 01:41 AM
You'd have to sit on your mother's shoulders just to kiss Randy Hedberg's ass!Boom!!!!!!!

El_Chapo
03-02-2021, 02:15 AM
lets see what he does with clay. its been 2 games of meh

bruinbison
03-02-2021, 02:46 PM
El Chapo - Wow! Whata Kneejerk Reactionary Mudslinger!
Wash, Rinse, Repeat...

My theory is Chapo is a Long Term Grand Forks plant sent here to sow division amongst the fans of the most successful FCS program in history......

Look what has happened since he was allowed back on BisonVille -
#1 NDSU lost a football game ending its winning streak at 39......
Fighting Hawks win a game against the #3 Jacks......

Coincidence......I think not!!!

scottietohottie
03-02-2021, 03:04 PM
Well in all fairness he's supposed to be a qb guru and I've seen nfl experts complain about Carson Wentz s footwork. Pretty sure Easton stick hired a guy after ndsu and before the draft to work on foot work and turn exhibit c would be Zeb. Then we have Tyler calling plays.

Professor Chaos
03-02-2021, 03:27 PM
Well in all fairness he's supposed to be a qb guru and I've seen nfl experts complain about Carson Wentz s footwork. Pretty sure Easton stick hired a guy after ndsu and before the draft to work on foot work and turn exhibit c would be Zeb. Then we have Tyler calling plays.
Wentz was lauded for his footwork under center out of college. I remember them commenting at the combine how much smoother he was on his 3-5-7 step drops than the other prospects there. As far as Roehl goes I think we're just seeing the growing pains of a young playcaller. He had loads of success in 2019 directing the 2nd most efficient offense in NDSU's D1 history (only year that was better was 2018). I think he got comfortable. Now he has to figure out how to adapt his play-calling to his personnel. It should make him a better OC moving forward.

Hammerhead
03-02-2021, 05:45 PM
How many NFL QBs don't have issues with footwork or throwing motions that teams think they need to work on?

scottietohottie
03-02-2021, 05:47 PM
How many NFL QBs don't have issues with footwork or throwing motions that teams think they need to work on?

Not the ones Brent Vigens worked with.

scottietohottie
03-02-2021, 05:48 PM
I kid I kid. Been on fire lately.

He definitely didn't help Zeb much.

WhoRepsTheLurker
03-02-2021, 07:59 PM
Wash, Rinse, Repeat...

I’m with Bruin on this one (again) and I’d also like his take on the current state of the QB room

bruinbison
03-04-2021, 03:53 PM
I’m with Bruin on this one (again) and I’d also like his take on the current state of the QB room

Wish I had inside sources :nod:

But, recruiting-wise, NDSU did very well to get Cam Miller. 3 star from Iowa, offers from UNI, SDSU, USD, Illinois State, Dartmouth. When he signed, he knew Trey Lance as a FR was the real deal. So, as an incoming recruit he could redshirt and be a Soph when Lance was a SR. When a team gets a star FR QB, it can be really tough to get a guy the next class.

Bison were also fortunate to have Logan Graetz recruited. He started out as a PWO commit to NDSU, got offered a PWO by Minnesota and switched his commit there - then the Fighting Hawks offered a scholly he was considering when NDSU offered. NDSU Scholarship QB commit Jaren Lewis was poached by KState, so the Bison had a scholly open just in time.

mtoutfitter
03-04-2021, 07:33 PM
O v e r r a t e d !

2014-2020

Oh shit.

9530 Seemed pretty knowledgeable today when I talked to him. Your moniker seemed to be a "punch line" around those offices.

HandoEX
03-04-2021, 08:02 PM
You'd have to sit on your mother's shoulders just to kiss Randy Hedberg's ass!

Quoted again just because this post is so damn epic!!!!

El_Chapo
03-07-2021, 01:41 PM
Freaking crickets with this guy so far

Did he go back to Parshall all summer & watch tumbleweed.

When handed clay......... SD bison could "coach" wentz,stick,lance"

scottietohottie
03-07-2021, 01:42 PM

OK so you still like Zeb but you going to rag on randy. Gtfo. You can't make a turd shine.

garbageman
03-07-2021, 01:50 PM

Does he have to come out in public to speak to you so you are happy? I’m sure they have concerns but they don’t need to come public with them so you are happy

EC8CH
03-07-2021, 02:29 PM
Wish I had inside sources :nod:

But, recruiting-wise, NDSU did very well to get Cam Miller. 3 star from Iowa, offers from UNI, SDSU, USD, Illinois State, Dartmouth. When he signed, he knew Trey Lance as a FR was the real deal. So, as an incoming recruit he could redshirt and be a Soph when Lance was a SR. When a team gets a star FR QB, it can be really tough to get a guy the next class.

Bison were also fortunate to have Logan Graetz recruited. He started out as a PWO commit to NDSU, got offered a PWO by Minnesota and switched his commit there - then the Fighting Hawks offered a scholly he was considering when NDSU offered. NDSU Scholarship QB commit Jaren Lewis was poached by KState, so the Bison had a scholly open just in time.

The talent that should be in the room makes it more of a head scratcher why it seems the play calling has been so protective of Zeb.

El_Chapo
03-07-2021, 02:42 PM
The talent that should be in the room makes it more of a head scratcher why it seems the play calling has been so protective of Zeb.

Yea. Not buying it

He hasn't been on any media in last 3 weeks. No questions asked?

TAILG8R
03-07-2021, 05:38 PM
Wash, Rinse, Repeat...

My theory is Chapo is a Long Term Grand Forks plant sent here to sow division amongst the fans of the most successful FCS program in history......

Look what has happened since he was allowed back on BisonVille -
#1 NDSU lost a football game ending its winning streak at 39......
Fighting Hawks win a game against the #3 Jacks......

Coincidence......I think not!!!The Manchurian Candidate

1998braves64
08-24-2021, 11:56 AM
Semi related so dropping this here. My alma mater HS of Parshall has cancelled football for this year, I can't imagine it'll make a recovery (as Parshall being the main town anyway as we've been coop for 30+ years) in today's environment. Ever since they lost the Plaza-North Shore coop to Berthold hear that they've struggled to field enough kids to make a team. That field turf named after Randy sitting idle after one year of use. May be able to restart as 6man?? Or coop with New Town, although that was attempted here in emergency request not sure what happened there.

Somewhat saddens me as Parshall did have a pretty good history in football considering it was predominantly a small school after the boom of the 60s missile silo construction. They only marginally gained a bit with the oil boom.

Friday nights were exciting in Parshall while I was growing up to see that completely disappear in a generation just shows where this game is going...

https://www.kfyrtv.com/2021/08/23/parshall-white-shield-2021-varsity-football-season-canceled/

Hammerhead
08-24-2021, 12:54 PM
Lots of rural areas are losing young people altogether, not just for playing football. My dad graduated from Oriska in 1954 and never even saw a football game until he was in the Army down in Texas.

Semi related so dropping this here. My alma mater HS of Parshall has cancelled football for this year, I can't imagine it'll make a recovery (as Parshall being the main town anyway as we've been coop for 30+ years) in today's environment. Ever since they lost the Plaza-North Shore coop to Berthold hear that they've struggled to field enough kids to make a team. That field turf named after Randy sitting idle after one year of use. May be able to restart as 6man?? Or coop with New Town, although that was attempted here in emergency request not sure what happened there.

Somewhat saddens me as Parshall did have a pretty good history in football considering it was predominantly a small school after the boom of the 60s missile silo construction. They only marginally gained a bit with the oil boom.

Friday nights were exciting in Parshall while I was growing up to see that completely disappear in a generation just shows where this game is going...

https://www.kfyrtv.com/2021/08/23/parshall-white-shield-2021-varsity-football-season-canceled/

Mr Meaty
08-24-2021, 02:50 PM
Lots of rural areas are losing young people altogether, not just for playing football. My dad graduated from Oriska in 1954 and never even saw a football game until he was in the Army down in Texas.

Was Helmer's Bar open back then? He might have seen some things in there.

THEsocalledfan
08-24-2021, 03:36 PM

A big problem is the parents. Yep, there is risk in football just like there always was and will be. Yet, parents now are a bunch of pansy asses; oh I can't let little junior get hurt.

Snowgoose
08-24-2021, 04:35 PM
A big problem is the parents. Yep, there is risk in football just like there always was and will be. Yet, parents now are a bunch of pansy asses; oh I can't let little junior get hurt.

Yes and no. Parents are pushing their kids harder in harder with sports like basketball, baseball, and soccer. These travel teams are going everywhere and it is actually wearing out their bodies. See the ESPN article document how travel BB is killing kids joints before they ever turn 20.

Also, if you are calling people pansys, the toughest NFL player ever, Brett Favre, just came out and said he does not want his Grandkids playing tackle football before the age of 14.

THEsocalledfan
08-24-2021, 04:38 PM
Yes and no. Parents are pushing their kids harder in harder with sports like basketball, baseball, and soccer. These travel teams are going everywhere and it is actually wearing out their bodies. See the ESPN article document how travel BB is killing kids joints before they ever turn 20.

Also, if you are calling people pansys, the toughest NFL player ever, Brett Favre, just came out and said he does not want his Grandkids playing tackle football before the age of 14.

Bret is not a pansy.....he said his grandkids could play football.

TAILG8R
08-24-2021, 08:13 PM

Maybe it had something to do with the missing $3.7m ... :hide:

Gully
08-24-2021, 08:18 PM

Which is silly because little kids are slow and the hard hitting doesn't start until about that age.

Gully
08-24-2021, 08:19 PM

Played against PPNS in HS....they were known for double and triple reverses, LOL. Good times.

OrygunBison
08-24-2021, 10:45 PM

I think that's a bit harsh on parents but I definitely get your frustration.

I grew up playing 9-man football in the Minot area in the 80's. For us, football started at 7th grade because there were no options for earlier than that. Now I'm a dad and I have developed concerns about the game over time. My wife had never been around sports before I showed up in her life so she was definitely concerned. In fact, it started as a hard no for her letting our son play. I didn't ever push the game on him but he really wanted to play, starting at age 6. My wife was totally fine with flag football at that age (Why shouldn't she be?) so we signed him up and I got roped into being head coach for the next 2 seasons. As this went on, we continued to talk about tackle football as a family. As I came to refine my own thinking, something particularly important became clear to me: At some point in our son's life, we would not feel right to say no to activities that he would like to do. (Other than cocaine and hookers, of course.) For us, we decided that once our kids were freshman in high school, we'd give them much more freedom to choose their own path, to make some of their own mistakes and learn more than if we were holding their hands the entire time. Once my wife and I committed to that line of thinking, we began to realize that it wouldn't make sense to only then allow him to play contact ball...with kids that have been doing it since they were in 3rd grade and know how to hit, etc. My wife was convinced on one condition: she required me to help coach so that I could watch over him, etc.

I started coaching youth football when my son was in 3rd grade. Because of how I arrived at letting my own son play, the coaching staff always had me talk to parents, mostly moms, about the logic behind letting their son (and some daughters) learn early. Youth coaches go through lots of training to make the game safer, not just from contact but from heat and other things. We teach them how to be safe BEFORE the contact really starts getting aggressive. Frankly, most of the injuries that you see when the kiddos are in 3rd and 4th grade are from 2 kids not seeing each other and running into one another accidentally...and those are generally more embarrassment and hurt feelings rather than actual physical injuries. It isn't until 7th and 8th grade when the hitting gets more real. There are exceptions, of course, but having watched hundreds of kids play over the years, I'm comfortable with the generalization.

Anyway, more often than not, if we got to the point that a parent was directly talking to us about their son's potential participation, we had a very high rate of success getting them to join. When I started coaching, we were concerned about dwindling numbers but I'm glad to report that at least in our little sphere of influence, we have better numbers now than when I started. In 8 years of coaching, I had one broken wrist (He was still very proud to have made the tackle!!), a broken ankle, a few sprains, a few bumps and bruises, and one case of overheating that was a bit concerning. We haven't had a single concussion.

My son played through his freshman season and then decided to not continue. He was educated and experienced enough to know that the game just wasn't right for him.

So, yeah, parents are concerned and rightfully so. If we answer their questions with understanding and compassion, and a ton of direct honesty, they can often find the path toward the game. I agree with others that say that there's so many other competing year round sports and it is causing conflicts with scheduling, etc. Eventually, those other domineering sports will have their reckoning and football will still be here to pick up the pieces. There's just too many good lessons that kids can get from the game.

Twincitybizon
08-24-2021, 11:55 PM
I love how some people have decided they're tired being infectious disease specialists, and have moved on to being traumatic brain injury specialists. The knowledge on this board is tremendous!! I'm humbled to be in your presence!!!

No_Skill
08-25-2021, 12:28 AM
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/002/181/859/d17

GreenfieldBison
08-25-2021, 12:41 AM
I love how some people have decided they're tired being infectious disease specialists, and have moved on to being traumatic brain injury specialists. The knowledge on this board is tremendous!! I'm humbled to be in your presence!!!

You just remember that brother. You got a problem? We can solve it here. The expertise amassed here is unfathomable to the typical human.

Really. I mean you just need to develop that “twitch” like a newb NFL QB. “I feel pressure” - Bisonville. “Big decision” - Bisonville. “High of low?” - Bisonville. “Shares or options?” - Bisonville.

We got ya man. Just lay back and relax.

Meanwhile, please stop interrupting me while I’m enjoying an extended tribute to Charlie Watts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjbison
08-25-2021, 01:06 AM

https://www.inforum.com/news/education/7164938-Audit-of-western-North-Dakota-school-district-finds-3.7M-discrepancy

Twincitybizon
08-25-2021, 01:16 AM
You just remember that brother. You got a problem? We can solve it here. The expertise amassed here is unfathomable to the typical human.

Really. I mean you just need to develop that “twitch” like a newb NFL QB. “I feel pressure” - Bisonville. “Big decision” - Bisonville. “High of low?” - Bisonville. “Shares or options?” - Bisonville.

We got ya man. Just lay back and relax.

Meanwhile, please stop interrupting me while I’m enjoying an extended tribute to Charlie Watts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow gotta prep me before dropping the charlie watts news like that. Amazing they lived that long but sad. First Dusty Hill, now this

IndyBison
08-25-2021, 02:25 AM
Which is silly because little kids are slow and the hard hitting doesn't start until about that age.My kids only played tackle football in elementary school. I remember thinking "how is anyone going to get hurt here. They just run into each other and fall down." It wasn't completely injury free but the kinds of things that cause serious injuries are usually middle school or higher.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

1998braves64
08-25-2021, 04:17 AM
Played against PPNS in HS....they were known for double and triple reverses, LOL. Good times.Hah yeah coach had a lot of counter plays and pulling guards too. Usually didn't have anyone of any size so was all speed orientated. Liked to make the big fellas from the other schools get wore out running sideline to sideline. Always seemed like from late 80s to when I graduated have a couple decent running backs in backfield helped out those reverse plays too.

FB coach from late 80s on just retired a few years ago so he had a pretty good run.

1998braves64
08-25-2021, 04:26 AM
https://www.inforum.com/news/education/7164938-Audit-of-western-North-Dakota-school-district-finds-3.7M-discrepancyWow that's not cool appears to be unintentional but still makes people a bit leery. Timeframe must have to deal with the construction of the new high school perhaps? Their football "recruits" has been shrinking ever since I graduated. Think most we ever had when I played was 24 or so that's with 1/3 or a bit more coming from plaza-North shore.

kab1one
08-25-2021, 02:18 PM
Another issue with high school football is specialization. My youngest is a freshman. Of what I would consider 28 potential football players in his class, only 18 are playing freshman ball. In looking at the kids that are not there, 4-6 are in other sports (basketball and hockey) as their main sport. So they don't want to play football and risk injury.

20 years ago they would have played football to stay in shape and compete. So year round training has led to specialization causing many to drop.

Of the other 4-5 kids that aren't playing. 2/3 parents don't want their kids playing football. Concussions primarily.

Lastly, kids don't want to put in the effort. 2 weeks of 4-5 hour practices when it was in the 90's( I was surprised, we did not shut down any practices due to hear), versus being able to play video games or wakeboard losses a fair number.

El_Chapo
10-24-2021, 05:29 PM

Zeb, Cam in Spring, Quincy = 3 Failures
after having the lucky fortune of Wentz, Stick, Lance.
Think I've been validated with my take..
Retiring at 67 isn't such a bad thing considering he gets zero comments or questions from the media & is protected.

Bison 4 Life
10-24-2021, 05:32 PM
Retiring at 67 isn't such a bad thing considering he gets zero comments or questions from the media & is protected.

Two transfers and a true freshman.

I mean, your takes are usually trash but there is some serious tryhard energy here.

ByeSonBusiness
10-24-2021, 05:36 PM
Two transfers and a true freshman.

I mean, your takes are usually trash but there is some serious tryhard energy here.

Yeah I hate agreeing with you because I think you are kinda dumb but this post is really the only logical way of looking at it.

Kevin
10-24-2021, 05:43 PM
Yeah I hate agreeing with you because I think you are kinda dumb but this post is really the only logical way of looking at it.

Lakes. The great Uniter.

scottietohottie
10-24-2021, 05:48 PM
Lakes. The great Uniter.

Like I said yesterday. I'd love to be able to listen to Randy's thoughts while he's listening to a Matt Entz Tyler Roehl conversation.

ZHerd
10-24-2021, 05:53 PM
How responsible is Hedberg for the qb we pursue? Would we have even had Easton and Trey on our roster?

ndsubison1
10-24-2021, 05:56 PM

Dude chill

El_Chapo
10-24-2021, 06:08 PM
Dude chill

Im Chill, I'm not even mad about it
I just trolling the people that were on his lap from 2014-2020 during the easiest coached QB room in football history

Thomas96
10-24-2021, 06:13 PM
If we could only get crickets out of you.

mtoutfitter
10-24-2021, 06:24 PM
Dude chill

The only way lakes could be dumber is if he were bigger.

B.Schlossman Fan Club
10-24-2021, 08:56 PM
How do we know Hedberg is recommending QP starts to Roehl and Entz? Give Cam and Cole some more time in the system and we will be back to the QBU level. Maybe Cam is ready so hopefully we find out next week.

HerdBot
10-24-2021, 09:07 PM

What? Cam was a true freshmen last year. Zeb is too immobile to run our offense and came back down to earth yesterday. Quincy was relieved after getting injured. Then Cam, who Hedberg developed over the last year, was lights out in relief. Good chance we will see Quincy again but we have 2 good QBs and a great true freshmen

Had QP2 not been robbed of this play, the whole discussion might have been different. Might be the worst call of the year

https://mobile.twitter.com/RossUglem/status/1452257713480781837

Tyler Roehl is a bigger problem than Hedberg

gavin2126
10-24-2021, 09:15 PM
Can't you see the obvious guys? If it wasn't for Hedberg, Wentz & Lance would have both been #1 overall picks.

*Yes this is purple. Don't know how to do purple on mobile.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

El_Chapo
01-10-2023, 12:34 AM

as Norm4life said. we USED to be QBU....

I think the Hedberg experience is done. let him ride off into the sunset. I'd let him be AD over stony brook

Quincy Zeb Cam. none will sniff nfl.

El_Chapo
03-14-2023, 05:18 PM
Heck Cam is going somewhere else for QB guru help.
https://twitter.com/Tonyrazz03/status/1635429111211458565?s=20

BISONBRI53
03-14-2023, 05:40 PM

Good! Maybe TR will do the same and get some training.

heffray
03-14-2023, 05:54 PM

Didn’t really work out for Lance, iirc… at least the tweet gives props to NSDU…

ByeSonBusiness
03-14-2023, 06:31 PM

Think it's pretty common for coaches to attend external clinics and such?

KSBisonFan
03-14-2023, 06:32 PM

How does that improve his QB run on 3rd down?

heffray
03-14-2023, 06:37 PM

Lololol… Reps to you, KS…

BISONBRI53
03-14-2023, 07:39 PM
Think it's pretty common for coaches to attend external clinics and such?

He must have skipped those

Jim Puetz
03-14-2023, 08:11 PM

I thought the same thing, then I realized, if he makes that throw to Mathis in stride, rather than behind Mathis's head or down at the bottom of his cleats, then there is no 3rd down run because we are in the end zone.

El_Chapo
03-14-2023, 08:14 PM

this is true... very true

The_Sicatoka
03-15-2023, 01:32 PM
Freund has been to the Manning Passing Academy both as a player and a coach.

Even a guru like Hedberg can learn new tricks/drills.

870XPRS
03-15-2023, 04:44 PM
Freund has been to the Manning Passing Academy both as a player and a coach.

Who???????

Bisonator98
03-15-2023, 05:25 PM
Who???????

https://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Freud_420a.jpg