PDA

View Full Version : NDSU vs Wyoming 1/31/2016

larson311
01-26-2016, 04:31 PM
Going to have our work cut out in this one, the predictions below are giving us the best possible outcome in my opinion. Winning all of the tossups and not giving up bonus points. Going to need a few upsets to pull this on off. My unbiased outcome would be 25-10 Wyoming, stick it on the bulletin board!

125 - #15 Josh Rodriguez DEC #20 Drew Templeman DEC 3-0 NDSU (Tossup - Templeman won their last matchup in December in SV-1, Rodriguez can win this one)
133 - #63(125) Drake Foster DEC #156 Nico Colunga 3-3
141 - #10 Bryce Meredith DEC #212 Thomas Walton 3-6 Wyo
149 - #38 Clay Ream DEC #56 Branson Ashworth 6-6 (tossup)
157 - #43 Archie Colgan DEC #80 Kyle Gliva 6-9 Wyo
165 - #70 Grant Nehring DEC #146 Kyle Pope 9-9
174 - #80 Jace Jensen DEC #166 Blake Thompson 9-12 Wyo
184 - #7 Hayden Zillmer MD #27(174) Benjamin Stroh 13-12 NDSU
197 - #51 Brandon Tribble DEC #170 Logan Paxton 13-15
285 - #23 Tanner Harms DEC #67 Benjamin Tyanan 13-18 Wyo

RadioBison
01-27-2016, 01:50 AM
I hope we see Bengtson in the lineup this weekend. I'd like to see him earn a qualifying spot going into the Big XI tournament, and beating Meredith and Gross might be enough to do it.

Gladiator Dad
01-27-2016, 01:18 PM
Wyoming has made a few changes to the lineup, at 149 it could be either Ashworth or Cole Mendenhall, at 165 it could be either Pope or Chaz Polson according to the NDSU website. I don't think it changes the outcome much if at all.

125 - #16 Josh Rodriguez DEC #15 Drew Templeman DEC 3-0 NDSU (The way Josh is wrestling right now I give this one to Josh)
133 - Drake Foster DEC #156 Nico Colunga 3-3 (Nico can't give up bonus points here)
141 - #15 Bryce Meredith DEC Thomas Walton 3-6 Wyo (If this is Bengston, I think Mitch can win it)
149 - Clay Ream DEC Branson Ashworth/Mendenhall 6-6 (From what I've seen of either Mendenhall & Ashworth, I will go with Clay on this one regardless of who they wrestle)
157 - Archie Colgan DEC Kyle Gliva 6-9 Wyo ( I only give a slight edge to Colgan, Gliva is capable of winning this match)
165 - Grant Nehring DEC Kyle Pope/Chaz Polson 9-9
174 - Jace Jensen DEC Blake Thompson 9-12 Wyo ( I would like to see how McNutt does now that he has been at the heavier weight for awhile now)
184 - #5 Hayden Zillmer MD Benjamin Stroh 13-12 NDSU
197 - Brandon Tribble DEC Logan Paxton 13-15
285 - #19 Tanner Harms DEC Benjamin Tyanan 13-18 Wyo (Big Ben has been wrestling he can pull the upset here)

If Bengston wrestles and wins at 141 we could be looking at 15-15 here and the nod would go to NDSU on criteria for the second straight year I believe with a Zillmer Maj Dec. Any bonus points by either team will go a long way in securing the dual for that team.

Big Bird
01-27-2016, 11:24 PM
I see this unfolding any of three ways: NDSU wins a close one, Wyoming wins a close one, or Wyoming blows NDSU out.

125-Rodriguez dec. He honestly should have crushed Templeman the last time and did all of the work in the match. If he finishes his takedowns much better than he did in their last match, it could be bonus. 3-0 N
133- Foster maj Colunga. 4-3 W
141- Meredith should get bonus over whoever is here, including Bengston. He's a fringe AA at this point IMO. 8-3 W
149- Ream maj Ashworth. Could be wrong, but I'm hoping Ream starts hitting his stride. 8-7 W
157- Colgan dec Gliva. Colgan is just solid and I can't see the upset. 11-7 W
165- Nehring dec Polson. Nehring continues his solid run in duals. 11-10 W
174- Jensen dec Thompson. 14-10 W
184- Zillmer dec Stroh. Stroh is solid, I'm hoping Zillmer's strength is too overwhelming and he gets a fall. 14-13
197- Tribble dec Paxton. 17-13 W
HWT- Tynan dec Harms. I'm banking on the good Ben Tynan showing up. This is entirely contingent on Ben not taking bad shots, as Harms has the agility and quickness to score off of the bad ones. 17-16 Wyoming

Wouldn't surprise me if any of 125, 133, 165, or HWT went the other way.

Big Bird
01-30-2016, 09:46 PM
SDSU was able to get by Wyoming yesterday, mainly thanks to Drew Templeman forfeiting due to injury, and the likely 9 (or 10) point resulting swing. Brady Ayers also knocked off Ben Stroh which was a decent sized upset

RadioBison
01-31-2016, 06:11 PM
That was NOT a good way to start.

Snake
01-31-2016, 06:35 PM
And we continue to regress under Kish. Big article in The Forum about the '13 class what a joke.

SC_TX
01-31-2016, 07:46 PM
what was that???

Big Bird
01-31-2016, 08:04 PM
Another very disappointing performance, which is becoming the theme this year.

133- Colunga had his best performance and notched his best career win. He deserved the win and nearly gave it away, but battled back.
141- Went about as I expected. Meredith is just much better than Bengston is.
149- Very disappointing. He's without a doubt on the outside of the NCAA bubble by a good ways now, and will have to have a good B12 tournament and beat someone who has had a much better year than him.
157- Went as expected. The disappointing thing was how he gave up at the end of the match.
165- A very embarrassing performance. Getting teched in just over 2 minutes against an average D1 starter isn't acceptable.
174- A match that Thompson could have, and should have, won. Need to be able to get away on bottom and have to finish a shot. Thompson clearly isn't the long term answer, so why not try Popp or McNutt here?
184- Zillmer was solid, as usual.
197- No offense whatsoever. Eaton may or may not be a .500 wrestler next year, but he will definitely be a massive upgrade.
HWT- Tynan should have won. He controlled most of the match but giving up the reversal in the second hurt him. The 2nd stall call was a joke, as Harms was just pushing, and under the new stalling rules pushing=stalling. The funny thing is the ref called Harms for stalling the very next time he did it. In OT, I thought Harms beat the whistle but it was close. Can't be flat footed there. The most frustrating part of his loss was that it could've got him back into the conversation for getting the B12 another AQ at HWT, which would've made qualifying for NCAAs much easier. Now, he's back on the outside and will likely have to knock off Harms at the B12 tourney to qualify.

Overall, another bad performance. Ream, Thomspon, and Tynan all could have won their respective matches, but didn't. This dual didn't have to get ugly, but in fitting in with the theme of the season, it did.

BisoninNWMN
01-31-2016, 08:05 PM
And we continue to regress under Kish. Big article in The Forum about the '13 class what a joke.

I really think this is happening to the wrestling program. That class has underachieved big time IMO. If they were truly the #2 recruiting class, they should be really starting to shine now. Look at Michigan and Virginia Tech, some of those recruits are really taking off now....they were #1 and #3 in that class of recruits.

Zillmer and Rodriquez are head and shoulders the best wrestlers on the team.

I'm on the fence about Kish as a coach. We'll see how this team develops. Teams take on the personality of he coach. I love watching Brands' teams at Iowa. They are aggressive and take it to the opponent.

BisoninNWMN
01-31-2016, 08:09 PM
Another very disappointing performance, which is becoming the theme this year.

133- Colunga had his best performance and notched his best career win. He deserved the win and nearly gave it away, but battled back.
141- Went about as I expected. Meredith is just much better than Bengston is.
149- Very disappointing. He's without a doubt on the outside of the NCAA bubble by a good ways now, and will have to have a good B12 tournament and beat someone who has had a much better year than him.
157- Went as expected. The disappointing thing was how he gave up at the end of the match.
165- A very embarrassing performance. Getting teched in just over 2 minutes against an average D1 starter isn't acceptable.
174- A match that Thompson could have, and should have, won. Need to be able to get away on bottom and have to finish a shot. Thompson clearly isn't the long term answer, so why not try Popp or McNutt here?
184- Zillmer was solid, as usual.
197- No offense whatsoever. Eaton may or may not be a .500 wrestler next year, but he will definitely be a massive upgrade.
HWT- Tynan should have won. He controlled most of the match but giving up the reversal in the second hurt him. The 2nd stall call was a joke, as Harms was just pushing, and under the new stalling rules pushing=stalling. The funny thing is the ref called Harms for stalling the very next time he did it. In OT, I thought Harms beat the whistle but it was close. Can't be flat footed there. The most frustrating part of his loss was that it could've got him back into the conversation for getting the B12 another AQ at HWT, which would've made qualifying for NCAAs much easier. Now, he's back on the outside and will likely have to knock off Harms at the B12 tourney to qualify.

Overall, another bad performance. Ream, Thomspon, and Tynan all could have won their respective matches, but didn't. This dual didn't have to get ugly, but in fitting in with the theme of the season, it did.

SDSU has passed NDSU in wrestling now.....sad.

SDSU beat Wyo on Friday, taking 6/10 weighs. Their coach has brought a ton of energy into that program and it shows.

Big Bird
01-31-2016, 08:16 PM
SDSU has one huge hole in their lineup and that is at HWT. They're fortunate that you can get buy with a huge hole there and likely only give up 3 every dual, just because of the nature of the HWT class. Gillette is the next closest thing they have to a hole and he's actually serviceable. NDSU has huge holes at 174 and 197, plus guys at 157, 133, and 165 who likely are at best, on the level of a guy like Gillette. Half of the lineup for NDSU isn't very good by D1 standards and 141 and 149 have struggled and not taken steps forward this year either.

SC_TX
01-31-2016, 08:18 PM
Zillmer and Rodriquez are head and shoulders the best wrestlers on the team.

No question about it. After that it's interesting. Tynan is starting to separate himself as the 3rd best wrestler on the team. Colunga has potential to be the 4th best as the season winds down. Nehrig and Ream in theory should be better but they keep turning in disappointing results. I mean today they both let the team down. A tech fall and a pin vs average wrestlers? The other 4 just aren't at the same level.

BisoninNWMN
01-31-2016, 11:38 PM
No question about it. After that it's interesting. Tynan is starting to separate himself as the 3rd best wrestler on the team. Colunga has potential to be the 4th best as the season winds down. Nehrig and Ream in theory should be better but they keep turning in disappointing results. I mean today they both let the team down. A tech fall and a pin vs average wrestlers? The other 4 just aren't at the same level.

NDSU lost every weight from 141 to 174.

Two very good wrestlers but a very poor dual team.

ElectronDon
01-31-2016, 11:49 PM
As a journalist I have followed some of these kids for years and I wouldn’t be so quick to give up on them.

133 – Nico Colunga is a very young true freshman with a big upside. As he builds muscle he will be a formidable 141 or 149.

174- Blake Thompson is in his first full season since high school (Clovis is one of California’s toughest programs) due to his church mission and medical red shirt. He shows signs of adjusting to the rigors of D1 wrestling. Additionally he has wrestled nearly the entire season with a nagging knee injury.

197- Logan Paxton was recruited as a 184 and is selflessly filling a hole. Next year as a red shirt 184 and the following year as a senior 184 I wouldn’t be surprised to see excellent results. I was in the room for Thursday’s 7 minute live goes, Paxton pinned Eaton the first go and held him scoreless the second. I’m told this is the norm.

After today's match Coach Kish acknowledged that nearly the entire team needs work from the bottom position.

My fear is the staff has caused “analysis paralyses” with some of these young wrestlers by attempting to change too much at a time.

That said, It’s my humble opinion that the talent and desire are in place and it really isn’t as bleak as it might appear on the surface.