PDA

View Full Version : Post from eGriz... some big data

tony
01-19-2016, 05:03 PM
Impressive display of data crunching!

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73048

I still think Georgia Southern is the #1 FCS program all-time... but give NDSU a couple more years so there's more of a track record and the Bison would have to be considered.

stevdock
01-19-2016, 05:38 PM
That is crazy data work there. I don't know if we're #1 either because all the data gets completely skewed based on the last 5 years. Does anyone want to go let him know we have 71 wins over the last 5 years, not 70 ;)

Professor Chaos
01-19-2016, 06:15 PM
Very cool!

OL FU on AGS used to put together a "Best of the Playoffs" ranking that gave an overall point rating to a program for their performances in the FCS/1AA playoffs going back to 1978. The most recent I was able to find it was last updated after the 2011 season (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RDxqZenJZyC5UuKeXU6yEHC-C5NXHTPPhdfBaRS9H4U/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&gid=0#). At that time NDSU was 26th overall with 130 points. With 100 more points each of the last 4 years that would put them at 530 which would be good for 8th overall (likely just a few points behind UNI). Pretty impressive considering many of the teams on that list had a nearly 30 year head start. Another impressive note is NDSU would have to win the next 5 titles after this year (so an 10-peat) and make a deep run that 11th year to catch Georgia Southern in that points system.

bisonaudit
01-19-2016, 06:26 PM
Cool stuff.

I'd started on a "dynasty points" analysis which awards 100 to the champ, 50 to the finalist, 25 to semi finalists, 12.5 to quarter finalists, 6.25 to round 2 participants, 3.125 to round 1 participants, and a fraction of a point for being in the division. I've only got it done for the FCS era 2006-2015 but here's what the last 10 years look like:

NDSU 516
App St 263
EWU 184
Mont 177
Rich 173
SHSU 160
Vill 157
UNH 122
Del 106
Ill St 92

Mr Pep Band
01-19-2016, 10:09 PM
Cool stuff.

I'd started on a "dynasty points" analysis which awards 100 to the champ, 50 to the finalist, 25 to semi finalists, 12.5 to quarter finalists, 6.25 to round 2 participants, 3.125 to round 1 participants, and a fraction of a point for being in the division. I've only got it done for the FCS era 2006-2015 but here's what the last 10 years look like:

NDSU 516
App St 263
EWU 184
Mont 177
Rich 173
SHSU 160
Vill 157
UNH 122
Del 106
Ill St 92

WOW! and NDSU was only eligible for 08' and on. Late Sixties, eighties, and now the 2k-teens!

When you look at the gap between NDSU and Appy....and then Eastern....wow just wow! Shows just how good NDSU has been the last 8 years.

Except 09'...We don't talk about 09'....:hide:

tjbison
01-20-2016, 12:31 AM
that dude did his work, awesome

now what isn't awesome in the next 5 pages of that thread...wow what train wreck. I was going to give props to the OP but didn't want in that shitstorm

southcliffbison
01-20-2016, 04:39 AM
that dude did his work, awesome

now what isn't awesome in the next 5 pages of that thread...wow what train wreck. I was going to give props to the OP but didn't want in that shitstorm

Yup, and its generally that shit-for-brains crackhead douchebag CDA who is doing the wrecking. That guy had to be an abused child.

2011BisonAlumni
01-20-2016, 05:33 PM
Yup, and its generally that shit-for-brains crackhead douchebag CDA who is doing the wrecking. That guy had to be an abused child.

No. That's just what happens when your team hasn't one a championship in 15 years, have watched teams like Eastern Washington (who plays in a glorified high school stadium compared to their palace WaGriz Stadium) become a better program, and have watched a team from North Dakota move up to D1 and become monumentally more success at the FCS level.

Just a guy who is jealous and has to resort to fat jokes and calling the Fargodome a tin shed in order for him to feel better about the Griz's mediocrity, lack of success in recent years and long standing tradition of choking in the national championship game. Also guessing he has to try to make himself feel better after watching the Griz get beat by 31 points in the playoffs which is the second biggest ass kicking they have ever suffered in the playoffs and the 6 points their team scored being the second fewest in their playoff history.

southcliffbison
01-22-2016, 02:38 AM
I stand by my original statement>>>> he was an abused, red headed, pimple faced, kicked to the curb, picked-on in grammar school , laughed at in junior high, picked last in dodgeball games, shunned by classmates, dateless for the prom, voted least likely to succeed, rejected by the military (prior don't ask, don't tell), and not invited back to class or family reunions......sums up CDA rather well.

NDSUSR
01-22-2016, 02:48 AM
Urban Dictionary has CDA defined as "Chronic Dick Ache".
No wonder he is always so pissy.

Alternate definition: "Complete Dumb Ass"

X-Factor
01-22-2016, 04:31 AM
Cool stuff.

NDSU 516
App St 263
EWU 184
Mont 177
Rich 173
SHSU 160
Vill 157
UNH 122
Del 106
Ill St 92

What I find really remarkable is that UNI isn't even on the list. Lowly ISUr made it though. ISUr historically has been a very mediocre team outside of the last 3 years. It will be interesting in the next few years to see if UNI can right the ship or if the NDSU factor has as much long-term impact as it appears on paper.

tjbison
01-22-2016, 11:51 AM
What I find really remarkable is that UNI isn't even on the list. Lowly ISUr made it though. ISUr historically has been a very mediocre team outside of the last 3 years. It will be interesting in the next few years to see if UNI can right the ship or if the NDSU factor has as much long-term impact as it appears on paper.

Not that shocking UNI has only been in 1 championship game

They dominated on a conference level but not necessarily a national level

bandit218
01-22-2016, 12:45 PM
No. That's just what happens when your team hasn't one a championship in 15 years, have watched teams like Eastern Washington (who plays in a glorified high school stadium compared to their palace WaGriz Stadium) become a better program, and have watched a team from North Dakota move up to D1 and become monumentally more success at the FCS level.

Just a guy who is jealous and has to resort to fat jokes and calling the Fargodome a tin shed in order for him to feel better about the Griz's mediocrity, lack of success in recent years and long standing tradition of choking in the national championship game. Also guessing he has to try to make himself feel better after watching the Griz get beat by 31 points in the playoffs which is the second biggest ass kicking they have ever suffered in the playoffs and the 6 points their team scored being the second fewest in their playoff history.

He's gotta be someone who's completely supportive of participation trophys and the "we don't keep score" crowd. His feelings are obviously hurt. You'd be hard pressed to find a thread over there that wasn't derailed by post 5.

2011BisonAlumni
01-22-2016, 12:59 PM
He's gotta be someone who's completely supportive of participation trophys and the "we don't keep score" crowd. His feelings are obviously hurt. You'd be hard pressed to find a thread over there that wasn't derailed by post 5.

He will always have those memories of that smoked filled exhibition game played last August. You can't take that away from him.

bisonaudit
01-22-2016, 01:32 PM
UNI was 13th on the list behind Jax St and Georgia Southern

KilldeerBison
01-22-2016, 01:43 PM
He will always have those memories of that smoked filled exhibition game played last August. You can't take that away from him.

This. My memory of a group of Grizz fans, laughing and back slapping after "destroying the National Champions." I ruined the elation by saying; I hope these teams can meet again in the playoffs, you could have heard a pin drop.

2011BisonAlumni
01-22-2016, 01:55 PM
This. My memory of a group of Grizz fans, laughing and back slapping after "destroying the National Champions." I ruined the elation by saying; I hope these teams can meet again in the playoffs, you could have heard a pin drop.

The games to remember are played in December.

When you are the 5 time National Champion runner ups, you have to hang your hat on those early season wins because the memories of choking in the championship game are just too painful.

tjbison
01-22-2016, 03:29 PM
i think Bison fans should just stop stirring the pot, leave them alone.

tony
01-22-2016, 04:10 PM

Yeah, no need for Bison fans to make egriz threads worse than they already were... and no reason to try to do the same here.

That was a great post over on egriz... they can call me fat all they want and I'll just go with it or ignore it (btw, we'd be eating kuchen, bitches, not strudel.) :)

Bisonator98
01-22-2016, 06:46 PM

This. Egriz is a dumpster fire much like SS. Not sure why Bison fans want to post on either. I just like reading how the other half lives once in awhile to fully appreciate being a Bison fan.:rofl:

Jay
01-22-2016, 06:50 PM
This. Egriz is a dumpster fire much like SS. Not sure why Bison fans want to post on either. I just like reading how the other half lives once in awhile to fully appreciate being a Bison fan.:rofl:

Because a corner of NDSU fans are some of the most annoying on the internet.

yopaulie
01-23-2016, 04:25 PM
Even our FCS level trolls play like they are at an FBS level.