PDA

View Full Version : Walker rated #17 best IAA QB

NDSUstudent
05-26-2006, 12:16 AM
17. Steve Walker, North Dakota State (Jr., 6-1, 210) - Walker made his first big splash as a freshman, when he came on late in the season to lead North Dakota State by tossing 10 touchdown passes with no interceptions. He built on that success for a solid campaign in 2005, throwing for 1,781 yards with 14 touchdown passes and seven interceptions.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=/cfoot2/news/AGN4021666.htm

Scooter
05-26-2006, 12:52 AM
It's nice to see that NDSU is starting to be recognized. *I noticed that Grant from Davis is ranked #4 *Way to go Great West!!!

Comparative stats for last two years between SU and Davis QB's are interresting:

Grant's stats Vs NDSU * *YEAR ATT * *COMP * *YARDS * *INT * *TD's
* 2004 *34 23 * *240 0 *0
* 2005 *38 24 * *186 0 *0
* * *72 *47 * *426 0 *0

YEAR ATT * *COMP * * YARDS * *INT * *TD's
Walker's VS Davis 2004 *20 15 * *227 0 *3
2005 *42 24 * *292 3 *2
* *62 37 * *519 3 *5

I think Grant is a Top Five QB. *I also think that Walker may be a Top Ten QB. *I know that at two of those INT's for Walker were deflections. *Zero TD's for Grant kind of surprised me.

Gamehunter
05-26-2006, 04:34 AM
It's nice to see that NDSU is starting to be recognized. I noticed that Grant from Davis is ranked #4 Way to go Great West!!!

Comparative stats for last two years between SU and Davis QB's are interresting:

Grant's stats Vs NDSU YEAR ATT COMP YARDS INT TD's
2004 34 23 240 0 0
2005 38 24 186 0 0
72 47 426 0 0

YEAR ATT COMP YARDS INT TD's
Walker's VS Davis 2004 20 15 227 0 3
2005 42 24 292 3 2
62 37 519 3 5

I think Grant is a Top Five QB. I also think that Walker may be a Top Ten QB. I know that at two of those INT's for Walker were deflections. Zero TD's for Grant kind of surprised me.

Grant does need to significantly decrease his INT's and become more consistent. Some games he is unstoppable, others quite average.

I have a feeling Walker's stats could explode this year with White pulling in plenty of catches once again. Last year had to many dropped balls by WR's.

SloStang
05-26-2006, 05:18 AM
Grant does need to significantly decrease his INT's and become more consistent. *Some games he is unstoppable, others quite average.

He saves his best games for Cal Poly.

Scooter
05-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Grant does need to significantly decrease his INT's and become more consistent. *Some games he is unstoppable, others quite average.

He saves his best games for Cal Poly.

You're right on that one, SloStang.

WYOBISONMAN
05-26-2006, 01:52 PM
Great news for Walker and the Bison. Hopefully Steve will be able to continue to improve and Next year we will have one in the top 4 or 5!

lucchesicourt
05-26-2006, 04:32 PM
Grant played pretty well against Stanford too. It seems he gets up for big games. The lack of a running game hurt the Ags last year. This year we should be better if we use one of our new schollie guys (see showingblitz.com).

broke_back_mnt
05-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Last year Walker had a much better game than Grant but the BISON lost due to the great run defense holding NDSU to just 3 yds. on 23 attemps!

http://www.gobison.com/pdf7/21981.pdf?ATCLID=206748&SPSID=11850&SPID=695&DB_OE M_ID=2400

Bison_Dan
05-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Last year Walker had a much better game than Grant but the BISON lost due to the great run defense holding NDSU to just 3 yds. on 23 attemps!

http://www.gobison.com/pdf7/21981.pdf?ATCLID=206748&SPSID=11850&SPID=695&DB_OE M_ID=2400

We lost because we couldn't get 8 men out of the box. If teams don't respect your WRs then the running game will suffer.

Gamehunter
05-26-2006, 07:37 PM
Did both of you guys forget one of Dragos punts was blocked for a TD?? THAT was the game decider. I think it just goes to show how tough it is to beat the Bison in the Dome. It took a blocked punt, completely shutting down our running game to the point that it was embarrassing, and few mistakes on Davis' part in order to win, and it was still only a 4 point win at that.

lucchesicourt
05-26-2006, 08:05 PM
Hasn't UCD won the last two games in the Dome? And as far as Walker having a better game than Grant, I am not so sure about that. Grant was 24 0f 38 and no picks and 0 passing TD's and Walker was 22 of 42 with three picksand 2 TD's. Grant didn't get a TD pass but he had 2 TD runs. Sure, Walker had more Yards, 292 to 186, but the picks more than made up for this. If Walker had no picks, I bet NDSU wins. But, stopping the running game meant the Ags could concentrate on NDSU's passing game.

Bison_Dan
05-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Hasn't UCD won the last two games in the Dome? *And as far as Walker having a better game than Grant, I am not so sure about that. *Grant was 24 0f 38 and no picks and 0 passing TD's and Walker was 22 of 42 with three picksand 2 TD's. *Grant didn't get a TD pass but he had 2 TD runs. *Sure, Walker had more Yards, 292 to 186, but the picks more than made up for this. *If Walker had no picks, I bet NDSU wins. *But, stopping the running game meant the Ags could concentrate on NDSU's passing game.

The only reason you stopped the running game was you were trying to. You played it smart and put your cb's man on man and the ss in the box. We made some passes but didn't hurt you with them. Yes the blocked punt was a killer but for 3 quarters we didn't do anything offensively and left the defense hanging too many times. Hopefully it will be different this year.

Gamehunter
05-26-2006, 08:54 PM
Hasn't UCD won the last two games in the Dome? And as far as Walker having a better game than Grant, I am not so sure about that. Grant was 24 0f 38 and no picks and 0 passing TD's and Walker was 22 of 42 with three picksand 2 TD's. Grant didn't get a TD pass but he had 2 TD runs. Sure, Walker had more Yards, 292 to 186, but the picks more than made up for this. If Walker had no picks, I bet NDSU wins. But, stopping the running game meant the Ags could concentrate on NDSU's passing game.

Exactly. Grant had a running game to fall back on, albiet not the best, but at least it existed. Walker, on the other hand, was the whole offense, and 2 of his picks were caused by deflections which were out of his control.

That still doesn't change the fact that it takes a decent amount of luck and a really good team to beat the Bison in the Dome as witnessed in the Cal Poly loss in 04 and UCD in 05.

broke_back_mnt
05-26-2006, 09:44 PM
It doesnt matter what happens on the margins. *Grant did have a better rushing day than Walker, but if the BISON deliver a normal ground game they win hands down. *I know we tried to deliver one but UCD wasnt allowing it. *Normally, in 2005 we got 175 yds/game and 2 tds/game rushing.

lucchesicourt
05-27-2006, 05:52 PM
The UCD run D stopped just about every team we played. *We were one of the top D's like yourselves. The fact that you guys couldn't run with 8 in the box, means your passing game should have produced better being UCD was man on man. *That means UCD's corners did their jobs WELL. *In football, you NEED to take away the other teams BEST weapons (your ground game). *We did that. *You guys held our best weapon, the passing game pretty much in check. *So, we had to use our run game, and that worked out well for us. *Even though our running game was pretty much non existant last year (probably due mostly to injuries, but I could be wrong here). *It's hard to tell where your running game is when you are down to your 4th and 5th RBs for most the year.
If you guys had concentrated on our running game our passing attack would have produced better, IMO. Every team that plays UCD knows we are known as a passing team. You guys are pretty much a running team with a strong D. On that day, UCD performed better all around. NDSU hadn't scored through 3 quarters. A late surge helped with the aid of an onside kick recovery, but you guys came up short. Just like we did against UNH and PSU.

SloStang
05-27-2006, 06:31 PM
The UCD run D stopped just about every team we played. *We were one of the top D's like yourselves. The fact that you guys couldn't run with 8 in the box, means your passing game should have produced better being UCD was man on man. *That means UCD's corners did their jobs WELL. *In football, you NEED to take away the other teams BEST weapons (your ground game). *We did that. *You guys held our best weapon, the passing game pretty much in check. *So, we had to use our run game, and that worked out well for us. *Even though our running game was pretty much non existant last year (probably due mostly to injuries, but I could be wrong here). *It's hard to tell where your running game is when you are down to your 4th and 5th RBs for most the year.
If you guys had concentrated on our running game our passing attack would have produced better, IMO. *Every team that plays UCD knows we are known as a passing team. *You guys are pretty much a running team with a strong D. *On that day, UCD performed better all around. *NDSU hadn't scored through 3 quarters. *A late surge helped with the aid of an onside kick recovery, but you guys came up short. *Just like we did against UNH and PSU.
I read on the Aggie board that coach Biggs is installing a fullback into the Aggies offense to help improve the running game. The coaches watched a lot of film on the Seattle Seahawks offense and will run a similar one next year. The Aggies got two outstanding RB recruits this year and it will be interesting if Biggs will burn the red shirt year and play one of them in 2006. If the Aggies offense could add a consistant running game they will be very dangerous on offense and do a lot better than the 20 points a game they averaged last year.

lucchesicourt
05-27-2006, 08:31 PM
From what I heard they will both probably red shirt. Though, I would like to see one play this year, and get some experience for a playoff run next year.

MplsBison
05-27-2006, 10:05 PM
I read on the Aggie board that coach Biggs is installing a fullback into the Aggies offense to help improve the running game. *The coaches watched a lot of film on the Seattle Seahawks offense and will run a similar one next year. *The Aggies got two outstanding RB recruits this year and it will be interesting if Biggs will burn the red shirt year and play one of them in 2006. *If the Aggies offense could add a consistant running game they will be very dangerous on offense and do a lot better than the 20 points a game they averaged last year.

That's interesting considering Holmgren is on the record saying that the fullback is going extinct and is being replaced by the slot receiver.