PDA

View Full Version : Suspensions

ndsubison
05-24-2006, 11:26 PM
Just saw on WDAY 6 tonight that Cinque Chapman and Jimmy Johnson have been declared academically ineligible for the upcoming season. Johnson is a corner from Phoenix Community College and was expected to eventually start. Cinque, as we know, was the #2 RB. Bohl was quoted as saying he was disappointed but that they knew what they had to do in the classroom. He also said he was unsure if either will stick around NDSU and do what it takes to be eligible for 2007.

GO BISON!!
If You Can't Join the Big Sky, Beat 'Em

Swaghook
05-24-2006, 11:36 PM
This must be why Chapman was not playing during the spring game. Cabell(sp?) will most likely be #2 now.

MplsBison
05-24-2006, 11:40 PM
Chapman had all the potential in the world.

Maybe even the NFL?

That's too bad.

Bisonguy
05-24-2006, 11:43 PM
This must be why Chapman was not playing during the spring game. Cabell(sp?) will most likely be #2 now.

Yeah, they stated that on the news before the spring game.

NanoBison
05-25-2006, 07:53 AM
I wonder if they could be academically eligible after a full load of summer school to raise those GPA's?

roadwarrior
05-25-2006, 12:06 PM
I wonder if they could be academically eligible after a full load of summer school to raise those GPA's?

Not according to the article in todays paper.

WYOBISONMAN
05-25-2006, 01:11 PM
Too bad, Cinque had a ton of potential..... :-[

IowaBisonToo
05-25-2006, 02:06 PM
Evidently not enough potential in the classroom, though. *This isn't the NBA or MLB or NHL. *The players need to learn that in order to advance to the next level (if at all possible), they need to be able to do somewhat well in the the classroom, too. *:(

I enjoy sports a great deal but it really burns my hide when somebody, who either can't spell their way out of a wet paper bag or absolutely doesn't care about school, gets a free ride to a higher ed institution and then pisses it away. *I don't think in some instances they realize the blessing they're given with these full rides (or even partials for that matter). *I guess I should have worked more on my physical abilities in school rather than my academic abilities. *:-?

broke_back_mnt
05-25-2006, 02:07 PM
Seems like some players have trouble with the student part. Im sure some of them are good enough to play pro ball. Can they work their way into the NFL by using the Arena leagues etc?

Im a Team Maker and wish Cinque had kept up with his school work first and then his football. Im sorry he gave up his opportunity but a scholarship is now open for a new prospect.

IowaBisonToo
05-25-2006, 02:09 PM
Because I don't know, can anyone tell me what the academic requirements are to remain eligible to play a sport? Is it overall GPA, a passing grade in all classes, what is it?

Scooter
05-25-2006, 02:17 PM
Damn, *Anyone know of any descent JUCO backs out there?

Just throwing this out there. *Mike Brower?

I think we need to keep the Redshirt on the RB comming in next year from California.

God, Now I really wish that Mr. Moore would have stuck it out his senior seasson.

mikelsch
05-25-2006, 03:57 PM
It would have been nice to have Mark Moore for this season

The Bison should be in good shape with
Steffes, Cabell, and Roehl at RB
Jangula and Roehl at FB

Blincoe and Vandal will probably redshirt barring injuries, and I would imagine that Bohl will be looking for a couple RB in the next recruiting class.

Outatowner
05-25-2006, 04:55 PM
The minimum gpa to retain eligibility at NDSU is under a 2.0. Not difficult if you can write your name and attend a few classes. Problems occur when the student's cummulative credits keep them from being an eligible student athlete. There is something in the NCAA guidelines called Progress Towards Degree Requirement. Basically a student needs to pass 6 units in the previous semester and have a cumulative amount of units to be a 2nd year, 3rd year, etc. These problems can be avoided in the recruiting process by recruiting student athletes that are capable of completing these very minimum requirements. The NCAA has increased the number of required core courses beginning with the 08 class, which may help to filter some of the non-qualifiers, but it will not remedy the problem.

KTF
05-25-2006, 05:29 PM
Is this the same rule that is causing the U of MN to loss some of their scholarships on mens BB and FB? *I remember seeing a TV blurp a few weeks ago that stated the graduation rate of the basketball team was under 10%. The scandal probably did not help the numbers.

mn-bison
05-25-2006, 07:05 PM
No, this is a different rule... The rule effecting the Gophers is to try to maintain a student-athlete. The Progress Towards Degree Requirement ensures the athelete is taking classes toward a major, not numerous GPA booster courses determined by attendance. It also states they have to have a certain amount of credits compared to their year of eligibility...

mikelsch
05-25-2006, 07:10 PM
Is this the same rule that is causing the U of MN to loss some of their scholarships on mens BB and FB? *I remember seeing a TV blurp a few weeks ago that stated the graduation rate of the basketball team was under 10%. The scandal probably did not help the numbers.

You are referring to the APR which is calculated by the eligibility and retention of student-athletes on a particular team.

NDSU's APR data
http://web1.ncaa.org/app_data/apr2005/493_2005_apr.pdf

lakesbison
05-25-2006, 09:30 PM
BROWER!!! YES!!!!

ALL TIME LEADER RB IN NEBRASKA HISTORY!!

SWITCH HIM BACK BOHL!!

COME ON!!!

Flintstone
05-25-2006, 10:11 PM
I don't think he'd be very happy sitting at #4 on the depth chart at RB when he should be #2 at LB. :-?

Scooter
05-26-2006, 12:01 AM
I don't think he'd be very happy sitting at #4 on the depth chart at RB when he should be #2 at LB. :-?

Good point Flinstone. However, NDSU has already demonstrated that we have a boatload of very capable LB's.

Itterman, Mays, Maresh, Ray, Bizal, Humber, Henry, and the list goes on.... :)

With the loss of Moore, and now Chapman (Washington to WR) maybe Brower might be better suited back at RB. That being said, what the hell do I know, the coaches will make the right decision, here. I think that Brower appears to be the kind of kid that will gladly play where ever the coaches feel that he could help the most. Nice kind of kid to have.

MplsBison
05-26-2006, 12:36 AM
If Brower could help the team more at RB than at LB, the coaches would tell him that and ask him to move.

It's not like a guy has never gone from offense to defense back to offense (Cabell).

I think Brower is going to be a very good LB. If he bides his time, he will get the oppertunity to make plays.

Expensive
05-29-2006, 03:48 AM
Thats a bad situation for the bison as well as Chapman.. I just hope he can work things out and hopefully get back on the field again, even if it not with the bison..