PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead to the 2016 Bison

DM05
01-11-2016, 03:36 AM
Again, like every year, it seems like we lose a lot (Wentz, Haeg, Kelly, Vraa, Bonnett/Albers/Cyr, Schaetz, CJ and Champ, LeCompte), but we were actually pretty damn young this year and have a ton of returning experience. Can’t help but look ahead:

Offense
QB: Stick got a massive amount of experience this year, should be running the show for 3 more years. Will be fun to see him develop as a passer. Don’t know what we have behind him, but Davis was good enough to be in competition for the backup role in fall camp this year.
RB: Frazier had a monster second half of the year, Anderson is a stud that should only benefit from a year of Jim Kramer and hopefully get’s more carries, Dunn showed some big play potential. Wonder if Morlock will get some consideration to move to more of a fullback role, or use him all over like Bonnet? Hope Purifoy can add depth if we need it.
FB/TE: Wentz/Illies/Jensen/Ellefson will compete to fill the TE spots. Sargeant/Robbins at FB. Lot of experience and great blocking to replace, but we used these guys less in the passing game this past year.
WR: RJ/Shepherd/Williams all back and should benefit from an offseason of work with Stick. Marquise Bridges will be in the mix. Hope Frandsen/Hawkins can find a way to contribute. Does incoming freshmen Engel get a look?
OL: I think this will be the most fun group to watch through the spring and fall camps. Lechler, Johnson and Kuhnert (who I think is very underrated) return, as does Plankers who played a ton. Does Lechler move to LT, Plankers at RT, and put Ziemer in at RG? Does one of the younger guys (Conner, Volson, Bacon) step up into a starting role? Hope to see a lot of guys play and get experience. Lechler, Johnson, and Plankers will all be seniors, and we had some guys from last year’s recruiting class transfer already.

Losing an NFL QB and LT, the program’s all-time leading WR, and several big contributors will hurt, but we have so much returning, and a lot of youth in the skill positions. Not often that a team can turn to an undefeated backup with 3 playoff wins. Would love to see the OL develop some depth, and for us to involve the TE’s more. Excited to see Bridges and Ellefson. Said this last year, but I hope Polasek improves as a situational play caller as well.

Defense
DE: Ambrosius and Menard , Jones/Butler/Tuszka got some great reps. Some good redshirts at DE as well (Tuszka/Karcz), should be good competition for snaps.
DT: Tanguay still has two years left, which is absolutely insane. Steidl and Morgan both played a lot of snaps. Can’t wait to see the Hubbs/Carlton/Darnell trio of redshirt freshmen. Hope to see Blake Williams earn a shot as well. Should have great depth at DT.
LB: DeLuca is All-American material, and potentially FCS DPotY. Stumpf improved roughly 400% over the course of the year, and was a beast against the run. PGT stayed healthy and played well. Marlette, Jordheim, Plank, Board, Brinkman, Mercadel all should provide depth, continue to kick ass on special teams, and compete for starting roles in 2017.
CB: Biggest question mark on the team, IMO. Jalen Allison and Dakota Reid got the starts against MSU. Allison looked solid as the nickel, and has great size. Davis/Bachmeier/Brooks? Will a true freshmen be ready (Torneden/Dixon)? Does Dempsey move back to CB? Should be a lot of competition in camp. Ridiculously young though.
S: Dempsey and Grimsley are solid. Wimbush/Brown/Sikes/Cenescar, plus the incoming recruits, should provide competition to see the 2 deep.

Front 7 might be the best since the 2012-2013 teams. Lots of depth on the line. Plenty of bodies in the secondary, just need to sort out who can play mistake free and tackle well. Dempsey will be the oldest contributing member of the back 4, and he is only a junior.

Also have to look at who everyone else loses (Number of seniors on random early season 2 deep depth chart in parentheses, along with notable losses; no clue who may be eligible for medical redshirts)
UNI (17): 2 TE’s, LG, 3 DE’s (including Ales), 2 backup LB’s, entire starting secondary (Hall, Kilfoy, Dorleant)
SDSU (17): 4 WR’s, TE, 3 starting OL, 2 DE’s, 2 starting LB’s (including Lally), both starting CB’s
ISUr (9): Roberson, Coprich, 2 DE’s, 2 starting LB, starting CB
ISUb (9): WR Owens, starting RG, 2 starting LB, ¾ of secondary
SIU (16): QB Iannotti + backup, 2 starting OL, 2 TE, WR, 3 DL, LB, both starting safeties
WIU (12): RB Watson, starting RG, 2 TE’s, entire starting DL, starting LB
YSU (12): starting LT, 3 WR’s, 4 DL (2 starters), starting LB and CB
USD (11): 2 starting OL, 2 WR’s , 2 starting DT, 2 starting LB, 2 starting CB
MSU (9): both starting OG’s, WR, DE, MLB, CB

EWU: 15 total seniors on roster (couldn’t find a 2 deep), 7 are OL
Iowa (16): Canzieri, 2 WR’s, 3 OL, 2 TE, 2 FB, 3 DE’s, 2 LB’s, FS
JSU (21): Pope + backup, 2 WR, 3 OL, 2 starting DT, 2 starting LB +2 backups, starting DE, ¾ of secondary

MVFC: Redbirds don’t lose many bodies, but no more Roberson and Coprich means they have to find some playmakers. UNI returns Bailey/Smith, along with Farley and McMakin who are damn good, but have to replace the entire secondary including 2 backups. Kilfoy and Hall are finally done, and Dorleant and Ales were very good. SDSU loses some OL and a fair amount on defense, but return Weineke and the QB’s. The Penguins might return the most in the league, with Wells and their RB’s coming back. Indiana State returns quite a bit on offense, but needs 5 new starters on D. SIU needs a QB and has a new coach, WIU needs a new DL and has a new coach, USD loses 6 starters on defense and has a new coach. MSU is incredibly young and basically played soph’s and freshmen this year.

OOC: Couldn’t find depth chart for EWU, but Cupp and their QB return. They do lose 7 OL, not sure if they start or even backup. Iowa seems to lose more backups than starters, and will be a great test early in the season and one helluva tailgate. Threw in JSU just because; lose their #1 RB, #2 WR, and 8 defensive starters.

ndsubison1
01-11-2016, 04:10 AM
Haeg is huge loss. So is Kelly. Hope Lechler can be an anchor at LT. Plankers will start and hope another new starter can come in and fill void.

Would love to see a solid 3rd WR come in and contribute. Bridges? Hawkins?

Morlock should move to a Bonnet role. Thin at FB. Hes too dangerous and valuable and a good pass catcher. Bulk him up. Just not a ton of carries to go around. Frazier established himself as the lead back. BA should get more carries. Same with Dunn. Plus Purifoy could factor in.

Defense will be loaded. I think they could challenge the 13' defense and end up even better. Another season of Tanguay and Menard? Wow. Schaetz big loss. Who will fill in, Steidl? Morgan? Maybe one of the redshirts will come in and play. Ambrosious played better late.

LBs will be filthy. Did PGT play in title game? Wasnt greatest matchup for him though. Would still like to see some depth develop and maybe Board can get onto field more.

Dont see Dempsey moving again. Hes very valuable at safety and think we'll be fine with Allison and Reid at CB. I expect Dom Davis to maybe play an Allison role. Always need a nickel player.

Any true frosh that could play? Maybe one or two.

2011BisonAlumni
01-11-2016, 04:18 AM
IMO, the loss of Ben LeCompte could be arguably the most important and wasn't mentioned once. That guy was a flat out stud and changed entire games. I know the one freshman punter got kicked off the team this year. Who is going to fill LeCompte's gigantic shoes?

NDSUBowler
01-11-2016, 04:26 AM
Gallagher wasn't kicked off the team...

That being said, NDSU has offered what seems to be an absolutely absurd punter

Brandon Nickle
(Link originally posted in different thread)
http://kohlskicking.com/profile/brandon-nickle/17246/

DM05
01-11-2016, 04:33 AM
IMO, the loss of Ben LeCompte could be arguably the most important and wasn't mentioned once. That guy was a flat out stud and changed entire games. I know the one freshman punter got kicked off the team this year. Who is going to fill LeCompte's gigantic shoes?

Mentioned him in the first line of the post, then focused on who is returning. I agree, finding someone to punt will be one of the top priorities, along replacing CJ and Haeg. Those two completely shut down the player across from them, every snap. LeCompte was a game changer as well...

ZHerd
01-11-2016, 04:51 AM
I doubt we see Dempsey move to CB but it is nice to have that versatility in the backfield. A couple of guys redshirting might be pretty good and we might need help at cb. Based on what I saw from game action, Dempsey looks like the fastest Bison on the field. I was impressed with the development of both safeties and I think they are going to make a bunch of plays next year. I won't be surprised if our int numbers shoot up some next year

Jay
01-11-2016, 02:47 PM

Brandon Nickle

keep an eye out for this guy. I don't think Nickle ends up here. Taylor Sheets.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_CZO9PeDEU&sns=em

Nel360
01-11-2016, 03:27 PM
I see the championship game in Jan 7th, 2017

MinotBison
01-11-2016, 04:58 PM

Brandon Nickle

5 plus second hang time is crazy.

phxbison
01-11-2016, 11:19 PM
Again, like every year, it seems like we lose a lot (Wentz, Haeg, Kelly, Vraa, Bonnett/Albers/Cyr, Schaetz, CJ and Champ, LeCompte), but we were actually pretty damn young this year and have a ton of returning experience. Can’t help but look ahead:

Offense
QB: Stick got a massive amount of experience this year, should be running the show for 3 more years. Will be fun to see him develop as a passer. Don’t know what we have behind him, but Davis was good enough to be in competition for the backup role in fall camp this year.
RB: Frazier had a monster second half of the year, Anderson is a stud that should only benefit from a year of Jim Kramer and hopefully get’s more carries, Dunn showed some big play potential. Wonder if Morlock will get some consideration to move to more of a fullback role, or use him all over like Bonnet? Hope Purifoy can add depth if we need it.
FB/TE: Wentz/Illies/Jensen/Ellefson will compete to fill the TE spots. Sargeant/Robbins at FB. Lot of experience and great blocking to replace, but we used these guys less in the passing game this past year.
WR: RJ/Shepherd/Williams all back and should benefit from an offseason of work with Stick. Marquise Bridges will be in the mix. Hope Frandsen/Hawkins can find a way to contribute. Does incoming freshmen Engel get a look?
OL: I think this will be the most fun group to watch through the spring and fall camps. Lechler, Johnson and Kuhnert (who I think is very underrated) return, as does Plankers who played a ton. Does Lechler move to LT, Plankers at RT, and put Ziemer in at RG? Does one of the younger guys (Conner, Volson, Bacon) step up into a starting role? Hope to see a lot of guys play and get experience. Lechler, Johnson, and Plankers will all be seniors, and we had some guys from last year’s recruiting class transfer already.

Losing an NFL QB and LT, the program’s all-time leading WR, and several big contributors will hurt, but we have so much returning, and a lot of youth in the skill positions. Not often that a team can turn to an undefeated backup with 3 playoff wins. Would love to see the OL develop some depth, and for us to involve the TE’s more. Excited to see Bridges and Ellefson. Said this last year, but I hope Polasek improves as a situational play caller as well.

Defense
DE: Ambrosius and Menard , Jones/Butler/Tuszka got some great reps. Some good redshirts at DE as well (Tuszka/Karcz), should be good competition for snaps.
DT: Tanguay still has two years left, which is absolutely insane. Steidl and Morgan both played a lot of snaps. Can’t wait to see the Hubbs/Carlton/Darnell trio of redshirt freshmen. Hope to see Blake Williams earn a shot as well. Should have great depth at DT.
LB: DeLuca is All-American material, and potentially FCS DPotY. Stumpf improved roughly 400% over the course of the year, and was a beast against the run. PGT stayed healthy and played well. Marlette, Jordheim, Plank, Board, Brinkman, Mercadel all should provide depth, continue to kick ass on special teams, and compete for starting roles in 2017.
CB: Biggest question mark on the team, IMO. Jalen Allison and Dakota Reid got the starts against MSU. Allison looked solid as the nickel, and has great size. Davis/Bachmeier/Brooks? Will a true freshmen be ready (Torneden/Dixon)? Does Dempsey move back to CB? Should be a lot of competition in camp. Ridiculously young though.
S: Dempsey and Grimsley are solid. Wimbush/Brown/Sikes/Cenescar, plus the incoming recruits, should provide competition to see the 2 deep.

Front 7 might be the best since the 2012-2013 teams. Lots of depth on the line. Plenty of bodies in the secondary, just need to sort out who can play mistake free and tackle well. Dempsey will be the oldest contributing member of the back 4, and he is only a junior.

Also have to look at who everyone else loses (Number of seniors on random early season 2 deep depth chart in parentheses, along with notable losses; no clue who may be eligible for medical redshirts)
UNI (17): 2 TE’s, LG, 3 DE’s (including Ales), 2 backup LB’s, entire starting secondary (Hall, Kilfoy, Dorleant)
SDSU (17): 4 WR’s, TE, 3 starting OL, 2 DE’s, 2 starting LB’s (including Lally), both starting CB’s
ISUr (9): Roberson, Coprich, 2 DE’s, 2 starting LB, starting CB
ISUb (9): WR Owens, starting RG, 2 starting LB, ¾ of secondary
SIU (16): QB Iannotti + backup, 2 starting OL, 2 TE, WR, 3 DL, LB, both starting safeties
WIU (12): RB Watson, starting RG, 2 TE’s, entire starting DL, starting LB
YSU (12): starting LT, 3 WR’s, 4 DL (2 starters), starting LB and CB
USD (11): 2 starting OL, 2 WR’s , 2 starting DT, 2 starting LB, 2 starting CB
MSU (9): both starting OG’s, WR, DE, MLB, CB

EWU: 15 total seniors on roster (couldn’t find a 2 deep), 7 are OL
Iowa (16): Canzieri, 2 WR’s, 3 OL, 2 TE, 2 FB, 3 DE’s, 2 LB’s, FS
JSU (21): Pope + backup, 2 WR, 3 OL, 2 starting DT, 2 starting LB +2 backups, starting DE, ¾ of secondary

MVFC: Redbirds don’t lose many bodies, but no more Roberson and Coprich means they have to find some playmakers. UNI returns Bailey/Smith, along with Farley and McMakin who are damn good, but have to replace the entire secondary including 2 backups. Kilfoy and Hall are finally done, and Dorleant and Ales were very good. SDSU loses some OL and a fair amount on defense, but return Weineke and the QB’s. The Penguins might return the most in the league, with Wells and their RB’s coming back. Indiana State returns quite a bit on offense, but needs 5 new starters on D. SIU needs a QB and has a new coach, WIU needs a new DL and has a new coach, USD loses 6 starters on defense and has a new coach. MSU is incredibly young and basically played soph’s and freshmen this year.

OOC: Couldn’t find depth chart for EWU, but Cupp and their QB return. They do lose 7 OL, not sure if they start or even backup. Iowa seems to lose more backups than starters, and will be a great test early in the season and one helluva tailgate. Threw in JSU just because; lose their #1 RB, #2 WR, and 8 defensive starters.

Thanks for the great post and all the research you did. I'll be referring to this before next season !

DM05
01-12-2016, 05:19 PM
I see the championship game in Jan 7th, 2017

With all we have coming back, we should start the year at #1. MVFC will be tough as always, and Iowa will be an awesome test. YSU/UNI should be really good, ISUr/SDSU will be solid at worst, and ISUb/WIU should be good as well.

After next year depends on recruiting and player development, something we are obviously very good at. OL and LB will lose quite a bit after next year. It'll be fun to see who the youngsters are that earn playing time and develop into the next wave of contributors.

HerdBot
01-12-2016, 05:52 PM
We will be potentially very good again. The front 7 and Oline will be a strength, assuming we can fill the LT spot which is the biggest question mark. The 2nd biggest question mark is at corner back. It's Jalen Allisons time to have a great off season and become our next shut down corner. We also need to find another slot corner. Dakota Reid seems to have potential to replace Champion. I'm really hopeful Dom Davis has a great offseason. Maybe Quentin McCoy will have a great offseason. We also have a good true freshman coming in if we can close the deal.

bisonmike2
01-12-2016, 05:54 PM
what are the chances we lose any coaches? That happens about this time of year right?

tolnabison
01-12-2016, 06:41 PM
We will be potentially very good again. The front 7 and Oline will be a strength, assuming we can fill the LT spot which is the biggest question mark. The 2nd biggest question mark is at corner back. It's Jalen Allisons time to have a great off season and become our next shut down corner. We also need to find another slot corner. Dakota Reid seems to have potential to replace Champion. I'm really hopeful Dom Davis has a great offseason. Maybe Quentin McCoy will have a great offseason. We also have a good true freshman coming in if we can close the deal.
I think Lechler is listed as Haeg's backup. Granted RT is a bit different than LT, but I am confident Landon will do just fine. Total guess is that Lechler starts at LT and Plankers at RT. But we also have had success starting young offensive lineman in the past also. So it wouldn't surprise me if one of our younger lineman start also.

RossUglem
01-12-2016, 09:37 PM
Here's the "Way too Early" preview at BisonReport

http://www.scout.com/college/north-dakota-state/story/1631810-2016-bison-football-a-way-too-early-preview

bruinbison
01-12-2016, 10:22 PM
Here's the "Way too Early" preview at BisonReport

http://www.scout.com/college/north-dakota-state/story/1631810-2016-bison-football-a-way-too-early-preview

Fun read. Plugs true FR Sean Engel (6' 5") in at WR on his too-early
2-deep roster. Also mentions Jacksonville State as someone with
Sept 3 open next season. ButtLSU??? :)..... (Already on JSU's schedule)
How 'bout Coastal Carolina?
They need games, with their transition to Div I. Could even do a
home-and-home with them and have a FBS game in the future that way.

Craig Haley has his sneak-peek at 2016 FCS football out.

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20160112140359528299004

Eastern Washington is at #13. Here is Haley's paragraph on them.
The Eagles have some rebuilding to do on offense.

13. Eastern Washington (6-5, 5-3 Big Sky; 2015 final ranking: unranked) - Let's go 13 in case it all turns unlucky for the Big Sky power. Unstoppable wide receiver Cooper Kupp, the national offensive player of the year, seeks to complete one of the greatest careers in FCS history. Quarterbacks Jordan West and Reilly Hennessey will battle for the starting job - the winner gaining from depth in the skill positions with the likes of wide receivers Kendrick Bourne and Shaq Hill and running back Jabari Wilson. But coach Beau Baldwin must replace seven seniors on the offensive line - yikes - and is still trying to get a stronger defense to match the high-scoring offense. This past season's young unit must grow up quickly behind senior defensive end Samson Ebukam. The non-conference schedule (at Washington State and North Dakota State and versus Northern Iowa) is probably too tough. FBS opponent: Washington State

Vet70
01-13-2016, 01:49 AM
what are the chances we lose any coaches? That happens about this time of year right?

Fire Polasek, save next year.

X-Factor
01-13-2016, 02:27 AM
2016 isn't difficult to see we will be awesome and FCS is yet again screwed in every facet of the game (punter TBD but you have to be excited by who we are recruiting). Super excited for next year and the new players that are on their way to earning playing time on the deepest and most prestigious roster in FCS football.

Now, 2017: Offensive tackle will be a top priority. We don't have those players identified this early yet (1.7 years away) and I am slightly concerned about it with Lechler and Plankers gone. LB will be in good shape as long as a stud backup MLB emerges in 2016 (Nobody will completely replace DeLuca, but once upon a time we had to replace Joe Mays and Grant Olson). We have so many LB guys that already deserve playing time as freshman, I'm confident things will turn out like MJ and PGT on the outside spots.

So, if we can find 2 outstanding OT's out of the 2014 and 2015 classes, 2017 could easily be the best Bison team ever. Big if on the tackles, but i like the chances.

Mr. Burgundy
01-13-2016, 02:56 AM
Young Zach will start at left tackle next year.

NDSU German from Russia
01-13-2016, 02:59 AM
I'm very excited to see the continued growth and maturity on the defensive side of the ball.

This defensive unit is really playing well, and will return many leaders.

I really like how quiet and gracious DeLuca is in these post game interviews. They have played "lights-out" and #49 just gives credit to his team mates and the coaching staff; BISON PRIDE.

Will be fun to watch all the recruits firm up on commitments and learn from this solid group.

As history has proven, the coaching staff and off season conditioning will only build this unit stronger.

ZHerd
01-13-2016, 03:01 AM

I don't think I have ever heard of losing that many guys on a line unit in one year. Also their non-con schedule is brutal. How often does a team schedule the two best teams in the subdivision to kickstart the year?

BadlandsBison
01-13-2016, 03:09 AM
I like Jack at guard. It's nice he can play 2 positions, too.

Tony Almeida
01-13-2016, 05:09 AM
Is Cam Peterson kicking off? I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of returns this year...hope those legs get super strong over the summer.

ndsubison1
01-13-2016, 05:29 AM
Another year of Deluca makes me giddy

BisonTru
01-13-2016, 05:38 AM
Another year of Deluca makes me giddy

Two more years of Tanguay and Menard. F Yeah!

THE HERD
01-13-2016, 02:31 PM

Brandon Nickle

I pray we get this kid!.....we will need him, especially against Iowa to play the field position game in order to have a chance to get the W. Do we even have a punter on the roster right now? If so who?

BisonNation11
01-13-2016, 02:41 PM
I pray we get this kid!.....we will need him, especially against Iowa to play the field position game in order to have a chance to get the W. Do we even have a punter on the roster right now? If so who?

Your answer is in the quote you quoted.

THE HERD
01-13-2016, 03:08 PM

You seem to be in the know a little more than most around here, so what do you think of Connor Hubb and what is his weight up too? Out of the three DT's(Hubb,Darnell,Carlton) he looked to be the best on film to me, but I'm admittedly not a great evaluator of football talent, but Hubb just looked super disruptive on film and constantly in the backfield. Just wondering your opinion those three, as well as any thing you've heard coming from people in the know.

THE HERD
01-13-2016, 03:10 PM
Your answer is in the quote you quoted.

Sorry....I read it as Gallagher having left the team on his own, not just kicked off.

BisonNation11
01-13-2016, 03:13 PM
Sorry....I read it as Gallagher having left the team on his own, not just kicked off.

No need to apologize. I had a split second to answer. He was on the sidelines for the natty in a hoodie. Really hoping we get that Nickel kid.

DM05
01-13-2016, 11:24 PM

That would be huge, allowing Lechler and Plankers to stay on the right side. Any other redshirts look like they will contribute early? Bridges/Ellefson/DT's maybe? Dom Davis?

westnodak93bison
01-13-2016, 11:28 PM
Stanley should improve a lot. DE should be in good shape.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

BisonFanAnn
01-14-2016, 02:19 PM
Before the team walk Saturday morning, I was chatting with the father of JSU #21 (Jones). He said he expected to see us back in Frisco for the foreseeable future. "I've looked at y'all's roster!"

It's sweet when it comes from someone who presumably knows a little about football - from the other team.

Bison03
01-14-2016, 05:02 PM
How frustrating is this for every other FCS fan base; especially the one 80 miles north. Every year after another national championship they are convinced the run is over, we graduated too many good players, and that the run is over. Only to watch us reload with talent and dominate again.

HerdBot
01-14-2016, 07:16 PM

Engel will be a total stud but looking at his frame he needs a year with Kramer to put on some weight. 6-5 is pretty darn tall but who knows he has time

gumby013
01-14-2016, 09:17 PM
McMakin just declared for the draft. Good news continues in Bison land for 2016!

EC8CH
01-14-2016, 09:23 PM
McMackin just declared for the draft. Good news continues in Bison land for 2016!

Who Dat?

Brett McMakin?

gumby013
01-14-2016, 09:23 PM
Who Dat?

10char

UNI's freakish all-world linebacker.

EC8CH
01-14-2016, 09:24 PM
UNI's freakish all-world linebacker.

That's what I thought but you spelled his last name wrong

HerdThat!
01-14-2016, 09:26 PM
That's what I thought but you spelled his last name wrong

Oh, McLovin

Bison 4 Life
01-14-2016, 09:33 PM
McMakin just declared for the draft. Good news continues in Bison land for 2016!

Have we ever had a junior leave?

EC8CH
01-14-2016, 09:50 PM
Here's a tweet about it from draft diamonds:

https://twitter.com/DraftDiamonds/status/687762914749607939?lang=en

bruinbison
01-14-2016, 11:07 PM

CBS had Brett McMakin at approx #57 for his draft position in 2017.
( OLB - 6' 4" 230)
Will be interesting to see how this plays out for him.
Perhaps CBS needs to update still.

No_Skill
01-14-2016, 11:18 PM

Might as well...he's accomplished all he can at this level.

:D

DM05
01-15-2016, 03:48 PM

UNI now needs to replace Hall, Kilfoy, McMakin, Dorleant, Ales, 2 backup LBs, and 3 more on the secondary 2-deep. Farley and Schult will probably have monster years, but that is a lot of talent and experience to replace. Don't remember UNI's backups getting much time on the field either...

Professor Chaos
01-15-2016, 09:33 PM
UNI now needs to replace Hall, Kilfoy, McMakin, Dorleant, Ales, 2 backup LBs, and 3 more on the secondary 2-deep. Farley and Schult will probably have monster years, but that is a lot of talent and experience to replace. Don't remember UNI's backups getting much time on the field either...
I can't see UNI's defense falling off much. Farley is just too good of a defensive coach. The offense on the other hand...

Back to the topic at hand. I think CB is the biggest question mark going into 2016 but I though Jalen Allison really played well in the playoffs so that's one CB spot I'm not too worried about but we'll have to see who steps up opposite him and as the nickel corner. Offensively I think they'll be just fine on the O-line but they'll need another WR to step up. Guys like Hawkins or Bridges have been mentioned already in this thread but they don't really fit the mold of a possession WR a la Zach Vraa. A guy I think has a chance to progress as a big possession WR is Isaiah Frandsen. He played a little during the 2014 playoffs when injuries gutted the WR corps, he's basically the same size as Vraa at 6'2" 198, and he'll be a redshirt junior in 2016. It's now or never for him to step up as a contributor.

unbison
01-16-2016, 12:09 PM
I wonder if tre Dempsey will move back to corner and knee of the young guns will move up at safety.... I also think Isaiah will have a hard time ascending the wr depth chart...

BisoninNWMN
01-16-2016, 12:20 PM
Engel will be a total stud but looking at his frame he needs a year with Kramer to put on some weight. 6-5 is pretty darn tall but who knows he has time

If he is good enough, he will play IMO. Vraa and Moody are gone. #16 and #20 will start and someone needs to step up in the WR corp.

A1pigskin
01-16-2016, 12:48 PM

A couple names come to mind of huge losses. Ben and CJ. There are others but who can punt like Ben. Ben has put so many teams in difficult field position.

EC8CH
01-16-2016, 01:15 PM
If he is good enough, he will play IMO. Vraa and Moody are gone. #16 and #20 will start and someone needs to step up in the WR corp.

Will be interesting to see if Hawkins steps up next year.

westnodak93bison
01-16-2016, 01:35 PM
Hawkins, Dimitri and Bridges need to contribute

EC8CH
01-16-2016, 01:47 PM
Hawkins, Dimitri and Bridges need to contribute

Next year will be critical for Hawkins though if he doesn't want to get buried in the depth chart by younger teammates.

ndsubison1
01-16-2016, 03:00 PM
I wonder if tre Dempsey will move back to corner and knee of the young guns will move up at safety.... I also think Isaiah will have a hard time ascending the wr depth chart...

Doubtful. Should be fine at CB.

ZHerd
01-16-2016, 06:29 PM

He and Dunn were both mentioned much in spring training and looked like they would be our next big weapons. I've learned that spring training is similar to the NFL preseason in that you really can't take much from it.

yopaulie
01-16-2016, 06:41 PM
Dunn getting passed on the depth chart by Anderson surprised me - didn't see that coming. I think they will make a great 1-2 punch over the next 3 years.

EC8CH
01-16-2016, 06:44 PM
Dunn getting passed on the depth chart by Anderson surprised me - didn't see that coming. I think they will make a great 1-2 punch over the next 3 years.

I think Dunns hamstring slowed him up a bit, and he doesn't look as good running between the tackles as Anderson. Definitely spoiled as fans to have both though.

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
01-16-2016, 07:42 PM
You mean part of a 5 back rotation. Don't kid yourself king will get the bulk of the carries with Anderson, morlock & dunn sprinkled in like this year. Don't be surprised if purifoy steals same carries next year as well.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

ptrBison
01-16-2016, 07:56 PM
How frustrating is this for every other FCS fan base; especially the one 80 miles north. Every year after another national championship they are convinced the run is over, we graduated too many good players, and that the run is over. Only to watch us reload with talent and dominate again.

I29 north doesn't care about football. They have the #1 team in the 6th rated sport in America...#butthawkey

X-Factor
01-16-2016, 09:34 PM
You mean part of a 5 back rotation. Don't kid yourself king will get the bulk of the carries with Anderson, morlock & dunn sprinkled in like this year. Don't be surprised if purifoy steals same carries next year as well.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Morlock is the difficult one to figure where he might get playing time. A bit too small to be a FB (be could get there in the offseason, just too bad he only has 1 yr left) and not quite the best solution at RB. I have a hard time seeing him share carries with much more talented backs in Anderson and Dunn. We shall see how Purifoy plays in as well.

ZHerd
01-16-2016, 10:31 PM
Morlock is the difficult one to figure where he might get playing time. A bit too small to be a FB (be could get there in the offseason, just too bad he only has 1 yr left) and not quite the best solution at RB. I have a hard time seeing him share carries with much more talented backs in Anderson and Dunn. We shall see how Purifoy plays in as well.

Why would you have trouble seeing that when you just saw it for an entire season. You have running back by committee to look forward to again in 2016 and it won't make any sense, mark it down

BisoninNWMN
01-17-2016, 12:55 AM
I wonder if the 3 true freshman CBs this year will make a move to become a starter?

Dom Davis
Ty Brooks
Tre Fort

BadlandsBison
01-17-2016, 04:03 AM
What's the status on Austin Farnlof? The young man has stuck it out through some horrible luck with injuries.

Bison_Pride
01-17-2016, 09:15 AM
Ellefson was such a prize recruit, you would think they will find a way to get him in games. Any chance he could move into the Andrew Bonnet role? Steam-rolling pass catcher?

side note: story about Bonnet from Saturday's Omaha paper.
http://www.neprepzone.com/football/ndsu-s-andrew-bonnet-set-standard-for-bison-during-championship/article_74b69228-3773-5771-8f5c-aa19514389ce.html

X-Factor
01-17-2016, 01:17 PM
What's the status on Austin Farnlof? The young man has stuck it out through some horrible luck with injuries.
He did play in the natty when the game was well in hand....
I didn't see him as being overly effective, but he wasn't in there very long either.

A1pigskin
01-17-2016, 05:13 PM
I wonder if the 3 true freshman CBs this year will make a move to become a starter?

Dom Davis
Ty Brooks
Tre Fort

I was wondering the same.

HerdBoy
01-17-2016, 11:44 PM

Dom Davis
Ty Brooks
Tre Fort

What about the JUCO Quinton McCoy? Is he a possibility at CB? He got out on the field a little bit this year didn't he?

A1pigskin
01-18-2016, 12:33 PM
Any incoming Freshman that may contribute right away?

tony
01-18-2016, 12:37 PM
Any incoming Freshman that may contribute right away?

I don't want to jinx anything so I'll wait until after signing day to answer this.

A1pigskin
01-18-2016, 01:13 PM
I don't want to jinx anything so I'll wait until after signing day to answer this.

I'm with you on this one.

NDSU1980
01-18-2016, 01:29 PM
One of my favorite quotes came from ShawnO the day before we won Natty 4. "The dynasty ends. Today". Maybe someone should tell him just how wrong he was.

NDSU
01-18-2016, 02:04 PM

He posted on Facebook that he is done and moving on from football. Wish him nothing but the best!

westnodak93bison
01-18-2016, 03:11 PM
He posted on Facebook that he is done and moving on from football. Wish him nothing but the best!
Best of luck to him. Snake bitten with injuries. Talked to him in the tailgate a few times. Seemed to like it up here, especially hunting.

Bisonator98
01-18-2016, 04:53 PM
Good luck to Austin. Sucked he wasn't able to play more due to injuries. Hope he's glad he stuck it out for 4 years though, he got him some rings!

BISONBRI53
01-18-2016, 05:09 PM
Being a Fargo South kid. It would be nice to see Brooks out there next year at corner.

tony
01-18-2016, 05:13 PM
One of my favorite quotes came from ShawnO the day before we won Natty 4. "The dynasty ends. Today". Maybe someone should tell him just how wrong he was.

A. It's funny because NDSU won.
B. I'm not sure that UND folks have a clue how dynasties work since they've never had one.

westnodak93bison
01-18-2016, 05:19 PM
A. It's funny because NDSU won.
B. I'm not sure that UND folks have a clue how dynasties work since they've never had one.
What do you mean? They have been the dominant hockey program in the state for ever

Bison03
01-18-2016, 05:46 PM
Being a Fargo South kid. It would be nice to see Brooks out there next year at corner.

He definitely has some huge potential. Hope it translates the college game. I think he will compete for the punt returner job. In open space, he is electric.

BISONBRI53
01-18-2016, 11:41 PM
Signing day is the 2nd or 9th?

Vet70
01-19-2016, 12:10 AM
Signing day is the 2nd or 9th?

The 3rd...

BISONBRI53
01-19-2016, 04:46 PM
I was WAY off! Thanks.

A1pigskin
05-01-2016, 03:55 PM
Looking back to last year the biggest shoes to fill was Keller. Looking forward, the biggest shoes to fill is the punter. Going to miss Ben.

mtoutfitter
05-01-2016, 03:58 PM
Looking back to last year the biggest shoes to fill was Keller. Looking forward, the biggest shoes to fill is the punter. Going to miss Ben.

Just for the sake of discussion......what about filling Joe Haeg and CJ Smith's shoes?

DakotaOkie
05-01-2016, 10:16 PM
Just for the sake of discussion......what about filling Joe Haeg and CJ Smith's shoes?

The same was said last year when Emmanuel, Crocket, Dudzik, Heagle, Littlejohn, Bectk, et al., graduated. Things turned out pretty good despite a rough start on the season. I have no idea how the starting lineups will look like next fall but it will be good. For reference, I watched the UN_ game again this PM (partially to see the Ratelle kid in action. The O-line handled him all but a couple of times). The D-line was spectacular and only improved from there over the season. Special teams were not so spectacular (maybe inconsistent is the better term) despite UN_'s best efforts to make them look so. Punter will have some tough shoes to fill but it will work out. Special teams improved dramatically over the season! These guys will back fill just fine.

BTW, GoBison shows that half of the senior class got NFL invites. That's is not shabby by anyone's measure!

EC8CH
05-01-2016, 10:38 PM
BTW, GoBison shows that half of the senior class got NFL invites. That's is not shabby by anyone's measure!

Except maybe Ohio state and Alabama.

Tony Almeida
05-01-2016, 11:05 PM
I think kickoffs is a big deal as well, do we have anyone that can boot it in the end zone like LeCompte did? This could mean more returns for the opposing team.

Vet70
05-01-2016, 11:09 PM
Except maybe Ohio state and Alabama.

True, but you have to keep in mind we are just a small school that plays D2 football.

17>1
05-03-2016, 02:08 PM
I think kickoffs is a big deal as well, do we have anyone that can boot it in the end zone like LeCompte did? This could mean more returns for the opposing team.

I feel like we'll know a lot more where the Bison stand as a special teams unit when Koonce gets here in the fall.

runtheoption
05-03-2016, 02:40 PM
True, but you have to keep in mind we are just a small school that plays D2 football.
For the hundredth time, it is DI-AA.

DM05
05-20-2016, 05:37 PM
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20160519125541074032904&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

ISUb loses starting QB for the year due to academics. He has started past 2 years, correct?

gumby013
05-20-2016, 05:54 PM
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20160519125541074032904&ref=hea&tm=&src=FCS

ISUb loses starting QB for the year due to academics. He has started past 2 years, correct?

Another new QB to the dome.

Professor Chaos
05-20-2016, 07:03 PM

Just last year. 2 years ago they made the playoffs on the back of QB Mike Perish, who I believe was an FBS transfer from somewhere or other.

17>1
06-11-2016, 04:54 PM
silkamilkamonico- Re:What's going on with basketball?

Basketball is first for me. I love football, and the program is absolute boss, but we just won our 5th championship in a row beating some team from Jacksonville State who good majority of NDSU fans thought was from Florida. FCS, D1-AA, D2, it's all the same when taking semantics out. And yes, absolutely could NDSU compete and be successful in FBS. It just doesn't yet.

I absolutely respect silk's opinion on this, but I'm going to share mine to basically open up some new discussion in the football forum as things are getting slow in the dog days of summer. I feel that his attitude/outlook towards the football program is a common thing amongst a significant amount of fans in the area. Any why not? After all, the Bison have won the national championship for 5 years in a row. That never happens. Is this because NDSU has better athletes than everyone else? Is this because NDSU has the best facilities in all of the FCS? Is this because NDSU should be FBS and is still playing in the FCS and doggonit it's just not fair to everyone else? I think the answer is no to all of these questions. What NDSU does that is better than anyone else is they do the little things right, and they keep doing them, and then when they have the little things down, they do them some more. They work harder than everyone else. However, they aren't perfect. They are human. They slip up from time to time. When a USD can come into the dome and beat the Bison, it shows that we are still playing at a level where anything can happen on any given Saturday. We get everyones best shot, every week, and the Bison don't always come out and crush people. How many times have we seen a close win, late in the game, where we needed some heroics just to pull it out? There are several that I can think of just in the last couple of years. These are several reasons why I still enjoy the level we are at, and I don't think the distance between us and the rest is all that huge. We just do a better job of getting the right kids, that buy into the program and the tradition, and believe every time they go out there that they are going to win. The consecutive championship run will end, but the expectations to compete for them will always be there. Go Bison!

Your thoughts? Please don't turn this into a FBS vs FCS thing, I stay out of those discussions for a reason.

Gully
06-11-2016, 06:15 PM
Excited to see the first game in the SHAC. Looks like I can work it in with a football trip.

56BISON73
06-12-2016, 02:45 AM
silkamilkamonico- Re:What's going on with basketball?

Basketball is first for me. I love football, and the program is absolute boss, but we just won our 5th championship in a row beating some team from Jacksonville State who good majority of NDSU fans thought was from Florida. FCS, D1-AA, D2, it's all the same when taking semantics out. And yes, absolutely could NDSU compete and be successful in FBS. It just doesn't yet.

I absolutely respect silk's opinion on this, but I'm going to share mine to basically open up some new discussion in the football forum as things are getting slow in the dog days of summer. I feel that his attitude/outlook towards the football program is a common thing amongst a significant amount of fans in the area. Any why not? After all, the Bison have won the national championship for 5 years in a row. That never happens. Is this because NDSU has better athletes than everyone else? Is this because NDSU has the best facilities in all of the FCS? Is this because NDSU should be FBS and is still playing in the FCS and doggonit it's just not fair to everyone else? I think the answer is no to all of these questions. What NDSU does that is better than anyone else is they do the little things right, and they keep doing them, and then when they have the little things down, they do them some more. They work harder than everyone else. However, they aren't perfect. They are human. They slip up from time to time. When a USD can come into the dome and beat the Bison, it shows that we are still playing at a level where anything can happen on any given Saturday. We get everyones best shot, every week, and the Bison don't always come out and crush people. How many times have we seen a close win, late in the game, where we needed some heroics just to pull it out? There are several that I can think of just in the last couple of years. These are several reasons why I still enjoy the level we are at, and I don't think the distance between us and the rest is all that huge. We just do a better job of getting the right kids, that buy into the program and the tradition, and believe every time they go out there that they are going to win. The consecutive championship run will end, but the expectations to compete for them will always be there. Go Bison!

Your thoughts? Please don't turn this into a FBS vs FCS thing, I stay out of those discussions for a reason.

What????????????? :)

17>1
06-12-2016, 03:02 AM
What????????????? :)

Ha, I kind of set myself up for that I suppose. They were hypothetical questions, how's that? Not sure what goes on in the minds of some people and how they could possibly get tired of what's going on right now in the NDSU football program. I love it for the reasons I mentioned :)

17>1
06-25-2016, 03:37 AM
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/athlon-sports-2016-fcs-all-america-team

bruinbison
06-25-2016, 02:41 PM
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/athlon-sports-2016-fcs-all-america-team

Glad to see Craig Haley put Nick DeLuca on his pre-season AA team.
Was Carson Wentz on any? I imagined :) Haley saying to himself,
"Who on this 2016 NDSU team will be next to get drafted by the NFL".
While the team championships are the best recognition for a player,
I still enjoy seeing the personal recognition & awards for Bison players.

Zack Johnson is also on the pre-season AA team.
Hoping for an injury-free season for that great Bison player.

HerdBoy
06-26-2016, 02:14 AM
Looking forward to seeing year two of the Legendowski/Stick connection.

17>1
07-06-2016, 04:14 PM
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/6-fcs-teams-could-end-north-dakota-states-national-title-run-2016#5

Bisonator98
07-06-2016, 04:26 PM
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/6-fcs-teams-could-end-north-dakota-states-national-title-run-2016#5

So he basically just picked last years PO teams and SHSU who always likes to lose to da Bison?:facepalm:

17>1
07-06-2016, 04:31 PM
So he basically just picked last years PO teams and SHSU who always likes to lose to da Bison?:facepalm:

Yep, checked out our past schedule to see who all the runner ups and semi/quarter finalists were and wrote some stuff about them "maybe" finding a way to get it done this year.....until they play NDSU again that is.

IzzyFlexion
07-06-2016, 05:49 PM
Appears that the list of "yeah, but wait till you play these guys" teams has finally dried up.

Vet70
07-06-2016, 06:05 PM
It's good to be king of the hill.

Vet70
07-06-2016, 06:22 PM
I drove through Springfield, Missouri yesterday an listened to a local sports show and they played "Who will beat the Bison" in the conference and nationally. They only brought up the usual suspects and spent most of the show trying to figure out how the Bears were going to win a couple of games this year. They did mention that both the Bison and the Valley were the best in the FCS. It couldn't possibly be true.

Christopher Moen
07-06-2016, 09:00 PM
Looking over the past three years, NDSU has faced a team in the Championship Game that was "on the rise" from the early part of the season and was semi-decent the prior year. My prediction is that Chattanooga will be that team this year.

EC8CH
07-06-2016, 10:51 PM
Looking over the past three years, NDSU has faced a team in the Championship Game that was "on the rise" from the early part of the season and was semi-decent the prior year. My prediction is that Chattanooga will be that team this year.

Didn't they lose their QB who was a pretty large part of their recent success?

Christopher Moen
07-06-2016, 10:52 PM
Didn't they lose their QB who was a pretty large part of their recent success?

ESPN lists him (Jacob Huesman) as Senior for 2016 http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/roster/_/id/236.

After doing some research, he did try out with the Steelers and the Saskatchewan Roughriders. ESPN a bit slow on updating rosters........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bisonator98
07-07-2016, 01:30 AM
ESPN lists him (Jacob Huesman) as Senior for 2016 http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/roster/_/id/236.

After doing some research, he did try out with the Steelers and the Saskatchewan Roughriders. ESPN a bit slow on updating rosters........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah Huesman graduated.

17>1
07-09-2016, 04:47 PM
http://pintopoints.areavoices.com/2016/07/08/the-season-of-the-schedule/

NDSU1980
07-12-2016, 11:33 AM
Massey has the 2016 FCS numbers up now. Outside of giving us only a 25% chance at Iowa, and probably overstates our chances with SDSU at 84%, I'd say he's spot on with everyone else. http://masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5545&s=286577

Vet70
07-12-2016, 12:36 PM
Massey has the 2016 FCS numbers up now. Outside of giving us only a 25% chance at Iowa, and probably overstates our chances with SDSU at 84%, I'd say he's spot on with everyone else. http://masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5545&s=286577

I think you are right on SDSU, but Iowa strikes me as about right. I don't remember what it was at K-State, but I can't imagine it was more than that.

17>1
07-12-2016, 01:16 PM

Looks like a 10-1 record to me, and a conference championship, and a home game in the playoffs. I'd be okay with that.

870XPRS
07-12-2016, 03:03 PM
Looks like a 10-1 record to me, and a conference championship, and a home game in the playoffs. I'd be okay with that.

You'd be cool with 1 home game in the playoffs after a 10-1 record?

Vet70
07-12-2016, 03:14 PM

I'm sure he means home for the playoffs. :biggrin:

17>1
07-12-2016, 03:52 PM

You're only guaranteed one home game, gotta win to keep playing. Obviously I want 3 home games and a return trip to Frisco.

17>1
07-12-2016, 05:09 PM
Deluca makes the Butkus watch list!

http://gobison.com/news/2016/7/12/football-nick-deluca-lone-fcs-player-named-to-butkus-award-watch-list.aspx

"Mirroring the legendary "51" pro jersey of the award's namesake Dick Butkus whom NFL Films considers the best defensive player in football history, each watch list features 51 players who will be reviewed by a 51-person selection panel of deeply experienced coaches, talent evaluators and journalists who vote by private ballot. Appearance on the watch list is not required to become a semi-finalist."

I wonder if Em will be on the panel?

Bison Fan 17
07-12-2016, 08:26 PM
Only FCS player on there to my knowledge.

17>1
08-01-2016, 08:47 PM
http://gobison.com/news/2016/8/1/football-bison-land-deluca-johnson-menard-fisher-on-stats-fcs-preseason-all-america-team.aspx

thebootfitter
08-02-2016, 08:20 AM
I think you are right on SDSU, but Iowa strikes me as about right. I don't remember what it was at K-State, but I can't imagine it was more than that.

Could probably look it up in the archives, but my memory tells me that Massey was giving us roughly a 15% chance of beating K-State at the time.

Nel360
08-02-2016, 12:15 PM
Yes and what were the Bison favored in the USD game last year? 95%?

tony
08-02-2016, 01:24 PM

Yeah, 99+% IIRC.

MrSnuffleupagus
08-02-2016, 02:18 PM

Yeah, I believe that statistic was calculated assuming our QB had a broken wrist IIRC.

17>1
08-06-2016, 03:33 PM
http://www.inforum.com/sports/4089267-nfl-scouts-becoming-familiar-faces-crowd-ndsu

17>1
08-08-2016, 08:44 PM
http://gobison.com/news/2016/8/8/football-bison-unanimous-no-1-in-preseason-fcs-coaches-poll.aspx

SDbison
08-08-2016, 09:48 PM
http://gobison.com/news/2016/8/8/football-bison-unanimous-no-1-in-preseason-fcs-coaches-poll.aspx NDSU will play the 5th, 6th, 8th, 14th, 17th, and 24th ranked teams in this top 25 FCS poll along with 2 other teams receiving votes. Also, will play a top 25 FBS team in Iowa. That is 9 of 11 games. No wonder the playoffs seem to go so well..........our regular season is like the playoffs.

HerdBot
08-09-2016, 02:55 AM
Youngstown unranked. Wow. These guys would curb stomp most of the teams in the lower half of the poll.