PDA

View Full Version : Sight Seeing/Attractions Dallas

A1pigskin
12-25-2015, 12:03 PM
If anyone has more things to see post them here.

Some top attractions in Dallas:
1. Dallas Cowboy's Stadium
2. George W. Bush Presidential Library
3. JFK assassination site (Dealey Plaza)
4. Southfork Ranch - TV show site. Not in Dallas but 25 mi NE.
5. Seeing all the Bison fans everywhere at these locations.

When going to the JFK site watch for the singing Elvis. He's not that good.

Mr Meaty
12-25-2015, 12:06 PM
#1 is the end zone party as Bison raise their annual National Championship Trophy!!!!!

ByeSonBusiness
12-25-2015, 01:41 PM
My favorite was the bush library.

A1pigskin
12-25-2015, 02:10 PM
#1 is the end zone party as Bison raise their annual National Championship Trophy!!!!!

Of course this is number 1.

Bison bison
12-25-2015, 02:15 PM
My favorite was the bush library.

You won't believe how disappointed Izzy was.

ZHerd
12-25-2015, 02:18 PM
6 flags over Texas

A1pigskin
12-25-2015, 02:54 PM
The Dallas Interstate system was a sight to see and experience.

Swaghook
12-25-2015, 03:12 PM
Perot Museum

Dallas World Aquarium

Dallas Zoo

Fort Worth Zoo

Fort Worth Stockyards

stevdock
12-25-2015, 03:45 PM
I wish they would move the game up one week like they used to a few years ago. I would love to go down about a week before the game when I'm off for work and check out at least a few of these places.

Swaghook
12-25-2015, 04:05 PM
The Dallas Interstate system was a sight to see and experience.

First trip in 2012 and my then 11 year old son's reaction to seeing the interstate system with all it's levels. "We're going to die!"

Bisonville GasMan
12-25-2015, 06:15 PM
Anyone who goes to Dealey Plaza, you absolutely need to go up to the 6th floor museum in the old Texas school book depository to take in the self guided tour and see the "snipers nest". After going there last year, I got hooked on JFK history and read about a dozen JFK related books in the following months. Good stuff.

southcliffbison
12-25-2015, 06:55 PM
First trip in 2012 and my then 11 year old son's reaction to seeing the interstate system with all it's levels. "We're going to die!"

Last year , as we drove past the toll booths for the expressways that the Saudis built, we were informed that we didn't have to stop to pay......that they (who ever they is/are) would bill us later......still waiting patiently.

bisonhp330
12-25-2015, 06:59 PM
OK city bombing memorial is worth the jaunt over. They redid the museum- interactive displays. pretty humbling. Last year my 17 yr old forgot he had a phone for a while we were there- that good.

56BISON73
12-25-2015, 07:50 PM
Last year , as we drove past the toll booths for the expressways that the Saudis built, we were informed that we didn't have to stop to pay......that they (who ever they is/are) would bill us later......still waiting patiently.

Got my bill a couple of months ago for last years game.

gumby013
12-25-2015, 08:16 PM
Got my bill a couple of months ago for last years game.

Texas doesn't have access to the plate database for all states.

Mr Meaty
12-25-2015, 08:22 PM
I dont think the owner to the rv we drove down last ever got a bill either.

MNLonghorn10
12-25-2015, 08:47 PM
Mavericks or stars game if they're in town. .American Airlines center is nice.

No cotton bowl that weekend kind of sucks

td577
12-25-2015, 09:58 PM
OK city bombing memorial is worth the jaunt over. They redid the museum- interactive displays. pretty humbling. Last year my 17 yr old forgot he had a phone for a while we were there- that good.

Very somber experience and worth a stop. It is especially incredible at night.

A1pigskin
12-25-2015, 10:46 PM

My 16 yr old daughter said the same thing that year.

A1pigskin
12-25-2015, 10:50 PM

I never got a bill either.

NDSUBowler
12-25-2015, 11:18 PM
The Stars play the Jets on Thursday night and the Wild on Saturday night (at 7)

1998braves64
12-26-2015, 02:16 AM
Never driven on the toll roads either year I was there. I'm a cheap miser who doesn't believe it's right that I have to pay to drive on roads, when they use tax money to build them!! Really isn't too hard at all if you're never in a huge time crunch. Had rental car both times so didn't want to risk getting an inflated toll ticket.

Did pay for Kansas turnpike though.

Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

td577
12-26-2015, 02:48 AM
Never driven on the toll roads either year I was there. I'm a cheap miser who doesn't believe it's right that I have to pay to drive on roads, when they use tax money to build them!! Really isn't too hard at all if you're never in a huge time crunch. Had rental car both times so didn't want to risk getting an inflated toll ticket.

The couple of times I have been down to Dallas and rented a car, i have gotten them to throw in the toll pass for no additional charge. I talk to them and tell them that is the kicker for me to rent from them.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Bison 4 Life
12-26-2015, 02:57 AM

Thank you!

OrygunBison
12-26-2015, 03:03 AM
Eat the brisket and take in a show at Gas Monkey, then spend some time with the ladies at the Lodge. Those gals are good peoples.

Tony Almeida
12-26-2015, 06:36 PM
I wish they would move the game up one week like they used to a few years ago. I would love to go down about a week before the game when I'm off for work and check out at least a few of these places.
The way ESPN keeps moving up the game, you may just get your wish sooner than later...11 AM is a joke for a championship game!!! God forbid they skip high school basketball for a championship football game once in awhile...

All the other championship football games get better times every year than the FCS game...this confuses me.

westnodak93bison
12-26-2015, 06:37 PM
Eat the brisket and take in a show at Gas Monkey, then spend some time with the ladies at the Lodge. Those gals are good peoples.
Where is this Lodge you speak of

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

southcliffbison
12-26-2015, 09:30 PM

Why do you ask, Grasshopper ?

bri-dog
12-26-2015, 09:47 PM

Google gave me a couple possibilities:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-lodge-dallas

and

http://www.cartoonscrapbook.com/01pics-L/flintstones_L03.jpg

I think Tatanka's ancestors hung out at the 2nd one...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-YcE1Bn37yIU/Ts-mZMmFY5I/AAAAAAAAKcQ/gTxUD5qHGiw/s1600/WATER%2BBUFFALO.png

CyPanth
12-28-2015, 09:56 PM
A couple of "under the radar" items:

1. Hilton Anatole in the garment district. Incredible, eclectic collection of art displayed throughout the hotel, including a section of the Berlin Wall.

2. Babbs Brothers BBQ and Blues. Great spot. It has been a few years, but I cannot wait to go back for their sausage. And yes, this is the Babb family of Nick Babb (current redshirt transfer) and Chris Babb (former player) of Iowa State.

1998braves64
12-29-2015, 03:20 AM
I have added some of the locations I didn't have marked on my map. The hotels are indicated in yellow I really only have a couple of those as there are probably way too many to indicate... I think the marriott is the team hotel from first year or 2nd year? I haven't heard where they're going to be located at this year? The restaurants are in blue and venue/tourist sites are in red.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zHkk7fyY-jwo.krWqnWMg7c_s&usp=sharing

Blue and red and yellow no longer applies as I've changed the map to layers so should be able to shut layers on and off and will have a letter/color marker translates to the map. Not sure if this works on a phone google maps app?

17>1
12-29-2015, 04:34 PM
We adjusted our plans a bit this year to take in the JFK/Dealey Plaza site. Instead of stopping in Topeka on Thursday night and then heading into Dallas area Friday, we're driving all the way to OKC on Thursday and then heading towards Dallas in the AM Friday. Been wanting to do this since we first started going down there 5 years ago, but are just now getting around to it. Last year we did the OKC bombing memorial and that was a sobering experience and great tour.

thundarsdaddy
12-29-2015, 04:59 PM
This is a life saver, but with all the flooding now all bets are off, but here is the link...

http://www.dart.org/

Bisonville GasMan
12-29-2015, 05:57 PM
We adjusted our plans a bit this year to take in the JFK/Dealey Plaza site. Instead of stopping in Topeka on Thursday night and then heading into Dallas area Friday, we're driving all the way to OKC on Thursday and then heading towards Dallas in the AM Friday. Been wanting to do this since we first started going down there 5 years ago, but are just now getting around to it. Last year we did the OKC bombing memorial and that was a sobering experience and great tour.

You will love it. Like I posted, elsewhere make sure to hit the museum on the 6th floor...give yourself at least a couple hours.

Kat78
12-29-2015, 06:25 PM
Anyone who goes to Dealey Plaza, you absolutely need to go up to the 6th floor museum in the old Texas school book depository to take in the self guided tour and see the "snipers nest". After going there last year, I got hooked on JFK history and read about a dozen JFK related books in the following months. Good stuff.

If your rental has GPS and you have time after the 6th Floor, take a cruise across to Old Oak Cliff to 1026 North Beckley (at Beckley & Zang), the boarding house Oswald lived in at the time, then head south on Zang to Jefferson Blvd and hang a right. Texas Theater is there on the right, where Oswald was apprehended, after shooting Officer J.D. Tippitt on Tenth St. Not the best part of town, so just a drive-by look-see, if interested. The photo of Oswald with the rifle was taken at another nearby rental house on either Elsbeth or Neely. They moved around quite a bit.

thehakujin
12-30-2015, 02:35 AM
If you're travelling with your woman, Bishop Arts District south of Dallas has some great dining, such as Bolsa, Boulevardier, or Tillman's Roadhouse. It's a bit of a haul if you're not already staying near downtown, though, and isn't heavy on nightlife so maybe isn't the place for a bunch of buddies to go out looking for a good time. Unless, of course, you want dinner first.

Deep Ellum is having a resurgence, anchored by places like Cane Rosso ("khan-ay roe-so," Napolitano-style pizza), Braindead Brewpub (great food for a beer joint), and of course Twisted Root (fantastic burger place, serves a few 'game' type meats like bison [sacrilege?] and boar meat). Eclectic crowd, so-to-speak. Pecan Lodge barbecue in Deep Ellum is nothing shy of stellar. Go with a few people, everyone order something different, everyone share everything, waddle over to Braindead or Green Room for your 'liquid dessert.'

Uptown (McKinney Avenue) is a mixed bag. Can be a lot of fun, and can also make a 30-year-old feel like the only grown up in the room. Ginger Man, Standard Pour, Blackfriar, Bowen House, and Idle Rich are personal favorites. Though, at 33, my friends and I rarely visit that area these days.

Downtown Dallas itself, unfortunately, is overwhelmingly... underwhelming.

Downtown Ft. Worth is quite a haul, but if you get to stay over there for an evening, it's a beautiful, walkable downtown. Flying Saucer has a great, large patio set-up there, and the Stockyards on the north side of town make for a fun day trip. Get a good feel for real, old-time Texas culture. You'll see cowboy hats in Fort Worth. You won't in Dallas.

If you get a chance to grab brunch, find one of the two locations of Smoke (northernmost being at Preston/Park intersection). James Beard award-winning Tim Byres is a local treasure, and Smoke is the undisputed best brunch in town. Breadwinners' multiple locations (closest being Preston/SpringCreek area) are a decent substitute.

Order a cocktail and try the Whiskey Cake at Whiskey Cake, if you can get a seat on a busy night (if so, you're welcome, in advance).

And finally, you made the trip all of the way down to Texas... don't kid yourself by grabbing Mexican/Tex-Mex at a chain you recognize. :) Look for central Mexican cuisine at Meso Maya (perhaps my favorite place in town, the cochinita pibil, the salsa, the brisket tacos....), street tacos at Taqueria La Ventana, or fun, creative tacos at Torchy's (multiple locations) or local favorite Velvet Taco (Uptown). Mi Cocina is good-not-great but can be a fun time, and is already located in the Shops at Legacy. Mia's on Lemmon Ave near downtown is a local legend, known for their awesome brisket tacos. Avila's and Herrera's closer to downtown are also highly regarded.

garbageman
12-30-2015, 03:02 PM
Dont know if this has been mentioned but toured the at@t stadium last year think it cost $20 a person but was worth it awesome place

JDZ
12-31-2015, 10:01 PM
The Safari Club is having their convention. https://www.biggame.org/convention/

Tony Almeida
12-31-2015, 10:28 PM
All I want is a good local BBQ restaurant in and around Arlington...I stay with a buddy there and I told him to take me to a good BBQ joint with local flavor with Texas portions...he takes me to a chain restaurant....it was disgusting.

Bison bison
12-31-2015, 10:30 PM
Chili's....

...baby back ribs.

(barbecue sauce)

thehakujin
12-31-2015, 11:26 PM
All I want is a good local BBQ restaurant in and around Arlington...I stay with a buddy there and I told him to take me to a good BBQ joint with local flavor with Texas portions...he takes me to a chain restaurant....it was disgusting.

Outside of looking through recommendations on Yelp, I can't help you much with BBQ in Arlington, unfortunately. The two most-often recommended (both of which I stand behind) are Lockhart in Bishop Arts District and Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum. They're about 25 and 30 minutes from Arlington, though, respectively.

Tony Almeida
01-01-2016, 02:21 AM
Outside of looking through recommendations on Yelp, I can't help you much with BBQ in Arlington, unfortunately. The two most-often recommended (both of which I stand behind) are Lockhart in Bishop Arts District and Pecan Lodge in Deep Ellum. They're about 25 and 30 minutes from Arlington, though, respectively.

Hey better than what I was taken to I'm sure, if it's that good then it's worth the trip. Thanks!

I wish I could remember the name of that chain restaurant my buddy took me to, it's a Texas chain I think...some of you have talked about it here in the past, that's all I remember.

Milkman
01-01-2016, 04:47 AM
If you were in Arlen TX you could hit up Sugarfoots.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

thehakujin
01-01-2016, 06:21 AM
Hey better than what I was taken to I'm sure, if it's that good then it's worth the trip. Thanks!

I wish I could remember the name of that chain restaurant my buddy took me to, it's a Texas chain I think...some of you have talked about it here in the past, that's all I remember.

Hm... Spring Creek? Red, Hot, and Blue? Dickie's?

Ndsu84
01-01-2016, 09:52 AM
Whiskey Cake Bar and Grill is pretty awesome. Crazy busy but really good. Their Whiskey Cake is best ever.

Christopher Moen
01-01-2016, 11:28 AM
Chili's....

...baby back ribs.

(barbecue sauce)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GdzbCIxkzo

Any chance they have an Applebee's in the area?

thehakujin
01-01-2016, 03:18 PM
Whiskey Cake Bar and Grill is pretty awesome. Crazy busy but really good. Their Whiskey Cake is best ever.

Seconded. Fun cocktails, good beer selection, great good, ridiculous dessert.
Like I've told others, don't leave this place without ordering the Whiskey Cake.

bisonridge
01-02-2016, 03:24 AM
Last year my fiance and I took a full day and walked all over downtown Dallas. We started at the museum which was ok, not great. Then went to aquarium and spent a few hours there, very fun and highly recommend it. Then walked to a random restaurant downtown where we had all you can eat cajun catfish and alligator, it's not as good as it sounds. Also did the JFK thing which is very humbling as others have mentioned and then finished the day of with the GeO-deck at reunion tower. It's almost 500ft up with 360 degree views of the city and you are outside, do not go if you are afraid of heights.

FargoBorne
01-02-2016, 03:55 AM
Rudy's Country Store and BBQ is a chain, but their ribs and brisket are awesome. They have a place in Frisco now, but they are all over Texas.

56BISON73
01-02-2016, 04:19 AM
Rudy's Country Store and BBQ is a chain, but their ribs and brisket are awesome. They have a place in Frisco now, but they are all over Texas.

They are just north of the stadium. Looks like a gas station but when you walk in its also a huge restaurant. Food was pretty good. We are eating there for breakfast before the game. Breakfast tacos with brisket sounds pretty good.

Mr Meaty
01-02-2016, 12:45 PM
They are just north of the stadium. Looks like a gas station but when you walk in its also a huge restaurant. Food was pretty good. We are eating there for breakfast before the game. Breakfast tacos with brisket sounds pretty good.

I have eaten there two out of four trips. Breakfast one year as we had just got into town that morning and stopped there. Brisket is excellent. Breakfast tacos are really good too.

bri-dog
01-02-2016, 01:25 PM
We have had them cater our tailgate group (and neighboring groups) 2 or 3 times. I think we usually feed about a hundred or so.

thehakujin
01-02-2016, 02:45 PM
Last year my fiance and I took a full day and walked all over downtown Dallas. We started at the museum which was ok, not great. Then went to aquarium and spent a few hours there, very fun and highly recommend it. Then walked to a random restaurant downtown where we had all you can eat cajun catfish and alligator, it's not as good as it sounds. Also did the JFK thing which is very humbling as others have mentioned and then finished the day of with the GeO-deck at reunion tower. It's almost 500ft up with 360 degree views of the city and you are outside, do not go if you are afraid of heights.

Sounds like you ate at Gators in the West End. Blech.

thehakujin
01-02-2016, 02:46 PM

I'm glad you mentioned Rudy's. I tend to frown on chains but Rudy's is pretty great. Brisket for days...

bisonridge
01-02-2016, 02:54 PM
Sounds like you ate at Gators in the West End. Blech.
Ya that was it, sure was an experience, which is what we where looking for, but we will not be going back.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

thehakujin
01-02-2016, 03:06 PM
Ya that was it, sure was an experience, which is what we where looking for, but we will not be going back.

No sir. Are you going to be in Dallas a day early again this year?

17>1
01-02-2016, 03:08 PM
We have had them cater our tailgate group (and neighboring groups) 2 or 3 times. I think we usually feed about a hundred or so.

Are you doing this again this year as well? If so, our group would be willing to throw down some cash if you wanted to have us.

bisonridge
01-02-2016, 03:09 PM
No sir. Are you going to be in Dallas a day early again this year?
Not going to be able to make it this year, starting up a new business and funds are a little tight. Made it to the first four in Frisco though

bri-dog
01-02-2016, 03:10 PM
Are you doing this again this year as well? If so, our group would be willing to throw down some cash if you wanted to have us.

I haven't heard yet. I organized it the first year, but not since. I'll let you know.

thehakujin
01-02-2016, 03:15 PM
Not going to be able to make it this year, starting up a new business and funds are a little tight. Made it to the first four in Frisco though

Ah, start-ups are like that, I hear. Good luck with the new venture, and don't hold all of Dallas accountable for Gators.

17>1
01-02-2016, 03:20 PM
I haven't heard yet. I organized it the first year, but not since. I'll let you know.

Thanks! Go Bison!!

bisonridge
01-02-2016, 03:32 PM
Ah, start-ups are like that, I hear. Good luck with the new venture, and don't hold all of Dallas accountable for Gators.
O know, we had lots of fun that day, aquarium probably being the best part. And like I said, gators was definitely an experience, and if you take it for that and only that it wasn't too bad

StL Bison Fan
01-02-2016, 03:33 PM
I'm glad you mentioned Rudy's. I tend to frown on chains but Rudy's is pretty great. Brisket for days...

We ate there last year. The place is fun. Lots of beers and pops.
I had the ribs which were dry but the brisket was good.
And, I bought gas!

thehakujin
01-02-2016, 03:52 PM
We ate there last year. The place is fun. Lots of beers and pops.
I had the ribs which were dry but the brisket was good.
And, I bought gas!

I always get gas with barbecue...

Green1
01-02-2016, 04:07 PM
I always get gas with barbecue...

I like this guy! He really understands the nuances of Bisonville humor.

bri-dog
01-02-2016, 08:11 PM
The Wild Pitch just responded to my facebook post; they will be opening up an hour early (10:00 am) on Friday again this year...

CaBisonFan
01-02-2016, 10:49 PM
Honestly...my favorite stop was the Fort Worth Stockyards. The JFK thing is just sad. Thought the Bush library was a snoozer. But I don't like any of the presidential libraries...just not my kind of thing.

garbageman
01-03-2016, 12:08 AM
Planning on going to Fort Worth Friday morning but what is there to see and do?

td577
01-03-2016, 12:30 AM
Planning on going to Fort Worth Friday morning but what is there to see and do?

Cattle drive at 11:30 and 4. Steak. I am sure there is more, but that is worth it for me.

CaBisonFan
01-03-2016, 12:55 AM
Planning on going to Fort Worth Friday morning but what is there to see and do?Stockyards...lots of cool stuff to see. Great food.

17>1
01-03-2016, 02:43 PM
Any recommendations for a unique place to eat near the SMU campus? We're hitting up the Bush library after the JFK site, so we'll be a hungry group come supper time.

Kat78
01-03-2016, 03:49 PM
Head east on Mockingbird from SMU, and Campisi's is a bit before Greenville Avenue, on the right. Old Italian place, been there since the 40's. During the heyday of the Cotton Bowl, you would see the head coaches of the participating teams there for dinner. If you want a lot of choices, up and down Greenville Avenue is a smorgasbord! All sorts of places, different cuisines.

Kat78
01-03-2016, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by Tony Almeida View Post

There is a place on Park Row in Arlington, near Bowen, called Coker's. Have eaten there several times, and it is pretty good.

17>1
01-03-2016, 05:22 PM
Head east on Mockingbird from SMU, and Campisi's is a bit before Greenville Avenue, on the right. Old Italian place, been there since the 40's. During the heyday of the Cotton Bowl, you would see the head coaches of the participating teams there for dinner. If you want a lot of choices, up and down Greenville Avenue is a smorgasbord! All sorts of places, different cuisines.

Thanks! Great suggestions. I'm always in the mood for some Italian or Mexican so Campisi's could be right up my alley. I checked out some Yelp reviews on several restaurants up Greenville Ave and it's funny how some people can say a place is great and others think it's terrible. I'm the positive type that tries to see the good in a place, but I suppose terrible service can leave a bad taste in anybody's mouth.

onbison09
01-03-2016, 05:51 PM
The aquarium is great! I had to do a retreat type deal when I started a job in college and I thought it would suck and just be kid's stuff, but it was great. I'm sure if you have kids they would also like it.

onbison09
01-03-2016, 05:52 PM
A bit different than what some are looking for, but if you want gourmet pizza in Plano, check out Taverna Rosa. Very good and good beer selection.

Bison 4 Life
01-03-2016, 06:08 PM
I've already done the whole driving all over town to take in the sights. If I get south of 635 it will be by accident.

thehakujin
01-03-2016, 07:18 PM
Thanks! Great suggestions. I'm always in the mood for some Italian or Mexican so Campisi's could be right up my alley. I checked out some Yelp reviews on several restaurants up Greenville Ave and it's funny how some people can say a place is great and others think it's terrible. I'm the positive type that tries to see the good in a place, but I suppose terrible service can leave a bad taste in anybody's mouth.

I'll try to check back in later this evening when I have more time, but I'll throw together a quick list of quality, Dallas-staple locations in that area. My girlfriend and I frequent the neighborhoods surrounding downtown quite often, regularly checking out both the new and long-established restaurants around -- so while I'm no expert, I think I'll have some good ideas for ya!

thehakujin
01-03-2016, 07:20 PM
A bit different than what some are looking for, but if you want gourmet pizza in Plano, check out Taverna Rosa. Very good and good beer selection.

Seconded, via Plano resident (me).

Great pizza, decent beer selection including rotating local variety, and a fun atmosphere for families or a group of friends starting off a night on the town.

unbison
01-03-2016, 08:26 PM
I've already done the whole driving all over town to take in the sights. If I get south of 635 it will be by accident.

Would it be possible for you to tell people how awesome you think you are more frequently????

Bison 4 Life
01-03-2016, 08:39 PM
Would it be possible for you to tell people how awesome you think you are more frequently????
I don't think I'm implied that at all.

thehakujin
01-04-2016, 01:55 AM
Any recommendations for a unique place to eat near the SMU campus? We're hitting up the Bush library after the JFK site, so we'll be a hungry group come supper time.

Alright, finally got a few free minutes to list a few recommendations near SMU. These are in no particular order, just spitballing here...

-Hopdoddy Burger Bar is an Austin import whose arrival caused a bit of fanfare.
-Velvet Taco is a Dallas staple with a pretty unique take on tacos -- this ain't Taco Bell, man. Try the Chicken Tikka Masala taco and you'll see what I mean!
-Truck Yard is a really fun place off of Greenville. A large gravel patio surrounded by a variety of food trucks, and a large shack with a bar inside.
-Victor Tango's is a bit of a trendy spot, with great food and drinks. Great date spot.
-HG Sply Co is a local favorite, probably needing a reservation, as it's quite small downstairs. Great kitchen there. The upstairs patio has a wonderful view of Greenville Ave scene and Dallas skyline, with a more finger-food-style menu, generally a more bar-like atmosphere up top.
-The Grape has been a personal favorite of mine, great menu, always pulled off well. Another good date spot, chill atmosphere inside.
-Sundown at Granada has a fun and varied menu. Spans the range between delicious brisket sliders and vegetarian-friendly fare.
-Torchy's Tacos is also a fun spot, with a with and creative variety of tacos. Can't be unhappy here.
-Twisted Root serves great burgers, has a fun, family-friendly atmosphere, and some less common options like bison or wild boar.
-Rapscallion I have not yet visited but it has a great reputation.
-Fireside Pies is a very cool atmosphere, great pizza, appetizers, beer selection. A personal favorite.

I certainly don't intend offense in disagreeing with another poster's recommendations, but I believe Fireside is a better spot than Campisi's, and that's coming from a guy who likes Campisi's quite a bit (and owes it big-time for keeping me alive for my first yet in Dallas!).

Check out the websites/menus of some of these places online and I think you'll find something like what you're looking for! Oh, and check out Meso Maya's menu and locations as well, with a downtown location only minutes from SMU, and a more 'suburban' location a little further north in Preston Hollow. Maybe my favorite spot in Dallas for Mexican. Cochinita pibil there is amazing, as are the brisket tacos. Best salsa I've ever had. I often take visiting out of towners there and receive nothing but rave reviews.

MNLonghorn10
01-04-2016, 10:59 AM
Lulz a fucking men

bi'S'on
01-04-2016, 02:11 PM
If you are into craft beer and really good food, check out Meddlesome Moth. Really cool place. It is south of 635, but a straight shot down the toll way or right off 35. www.mothinthe.net

thehakujin
01-04-2016, 02:40 PM
If you are into craft beer and really good food, check out Meddlesome Moth. Really cool place. It is south of 635, but a straight shot down the toll way or right off 35. www.mothinthe.net

Agreed.

Another option many of you may already be familiar with is the Holy Grail Pub in Frisco (121/Preston). Great pub-styled atmosphere, terrific beer selection, and delicious food (has been the Reader's Choice for Best Bar Food in Dallas multiple times over).

Speaking of beer, if you're into the growler thing, check out Lone Star Taps & Caps in Lewisville (just west of 121/DallasNorthTollway intersection) to get your tailgate/post-game growler filled with something unique from Texas. Total Wine at 121/Preston should also cover all of your beer/wine/liquor/cigar needs as well. Massive place.

StL Bison Fan
01-04-2016, 04:53 PM
Agreed.

Another option many of you may already be familiar with is the Holy Grail Pub in Frisco (121/Preston). Great pub-styled atmosphere, terrific beer selection, and delicious food (has been the Reader's Choice for Best Bar Food in Dallas multiple times over).

Speaking of beer, if you're into the growler thing, check out Lone Star Taps & Caps in Lewisville (just west of 121/DallasNorthTollway intersection) to get your tailgate/post-game growler filled with something unique from Texas. Total Wine at 121/Preston should also cover all of your beer/wine/liquor/cigar needs as well. Massive place.
Total wine is the best. Cleaned them out of San Miguel beer in StL this fall. Good single malt prices

thehakujin
01-04-2016, 05:25 PM
Total wine is the best. Cleaned them out of San Miguel beer in StL this fall. Good single malt prices

Yesssiiirrrrrrr

BisonNation11
01-04-2016, 05:30 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

bisonfanette
01-04-2016, 06:04 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Are you laughing over what I think you are laughing about?

BisonNation11
01-04-2016, 06:10 PM
Are you laughing over what I think you are laughing about?

It's not my secret to tell... ;):innocent:

Kat78
01-04-2016, 07:25 PM
"I certainly don't intend offense in disagreeing with another poster's recommendations, but I believe Fireside is a better spot than Campisi's, and that's coming from a guy who likes Campisi's quite a bit (and owes it big-time for keeping me alive for my first yet in Dallas!)." - thehakijun

No offense taken. Love the pizza at Campisi's, the rest of the menu is competent. But, in answer toa previous poster, he was looking for a non-chain local and close to SMU. Also, I remember goin in during the holidays in years gone by and sitting next to Darrell Royal, and other head coaches that were playing in the Cotton Bowl. About the closest thing Dallas has to someplace like Sardi's in NY. I would have mentioned Club Schmitz over by Love Field, for burgers and beer...but it closed. I killed many brain cells in that place over the years! Your list is very good. I would add though, if they go to the Truck Yard, they might want to bring a chair. There is seating available, but sometimes you need to bring your own. Neat place though...the food trucks that move in are different cuisine and change out every week or so.

thehakujin
01-04-2016, 07:46 PM
No offense taken. Love the pizza at Campisi's, the rest of the menu is competent. But, in answer toa previous poster, he was looking for a non-chain local and close to SMU. Also, I remember goin in during the holidays in years gone by and sitting next to Darrell Royal, and other head coaches that were playing in the Cotton Bowl. About the closest thing Dallas has to someplace like Sardi's in NY. I would have mentioned Club Schmitz over by Love Field, for burgers and beer...but it closed. I killed many brain cells in that place over the years! Your list is very good. I would add though, if they go to the Truck Yard, they might want to bring a chair. There is seating available, but sometimes you need to bring your own. Neat place though...the food trucks that move in are different cuisine and change out every week or so.

Right on. I lived in Gables Republic Tower when I first moved to Dallas, so I wore out a path between my apartment and Campisi's (both downtown and on Mockingbird). I agree with sticking to local, non-chain, unless it's a limited local chain like Fireside or Smoke. I cheated a bit by stretching out what qualifies as 'near' SMU. :)

It's off Lemmon, but my understanding is that Mia's has a little bit of Dallas history involved, but the only thing I can think of is something surrounding pre-Cowboy Jimmy Johnson...