PDA

View Full Version : Waking the Giant

CaBisonFan
11-26-2015, 05:15 PM
Mudra, Erhardt, many outstanding coaches, and the NDSU administration created the giant. After their departures, the giant took a short nap in the early to mid 70s. Wacker set the program up for the 80s. He brought the veer, and a level of intensity and enthusiasm that was needed at the time. Morton, Solomonson, and Hager each brought their own brand of coaching...and the giant thrived. Various factors that have been discussed here put the giant to sleep. Yes...the injury to Arden Beachy and the opening of the dome marked the beginning of a hibernation. Many outstanding players came and went during that period, but there wasn't enough depth of talent to keep things going. I put it on the administration and athletic leadership...or the lack of it. Others point at Rocky Hager. I'm not in that camp.

Now to my point. Craig Bohl and Gene Taylor deserve a ton of credit for what they did. They knew that the great potential of the program just had to be woke up. They made NDSU a national brand...and not just on the football field. It's what Ron Erhardt wanted while he was here. He saw DI potential at NDSU. Craig Bohl and Gene Taylor are HOF types. We owe them a lot.

Chris Klieman is not a caretaker. He's an outstanding coach, with an outstanding football mind. He understands the program. The responsibility is huge. He knows it.

To clarify my point...when the Bison are in real contention for a national championship...there's an outstanding group of coaches and leaders that are behind it.

I'm very thankful to have this diversion in my life. Call it an obsession. Call it whatever you want. My obsession began in the mid-60s. All of the coaches and players are champions.

It truly is about the herd mentality. It's real.

Sorry to ramble.

westnodak93bison
11-26-2015, 06:06 PM
Good post. I'll add that Rocky lost control of team discipline at the end imho. Brought in some bad apples or couldn't control them. Some of the garbage I saw at house parties in the early 90's was ridiculous.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thomas96
11-26-2015, 06:29 PM
Good post. I'll add that Rocky lost control of team discipline at the end imho. Brought in some bad apples or couldn't control them. Some of the garbage I saw at house parties in the early 90's was ridiculous.

Yes but those parties were epic.

CAS4127
11-26-2015, 06:37 PM

Rocky was not allowed to discipline the way he wanted because of Bobber Entzion. That's what needs to be added.

Sent from my iPhone.

westnodak93bison
11-26-2015, 07:05 PM
Rocky was not allowed to discipline the way he wanted because of Bobber Entzion. That's what needs to be added.

Sent from my iPhone.
OK. Did not know that.

1bizon1
11-26-2015, 07:34 PM
Agreed, Entzion was a class 1 tool ! And RAMBLE On "Cal" great post!!

bisononce
11-26-2015, 08:03 PM
From Ed Kolpack's book: This was the shape of North Dakota State football in 1962. A fan telephoned the football office one Saturday morning, asking what time the game started. "What time can you get here?" was the reply.

0h and 10. 600 at the homecoming game. "We should be doing better," said Herb Albreht, who came on board in early 1962 as the new President.

Then came Darrell Mudra and, as they say, the rest is history. A reporter asked about North Dakota State chances in the 1963 North Central Conference race. "We're probably going to win it," he said.

southcliffbison
11-26-2015, 08:09 PM

Losing team discipline can and has happened to many coaches across the nation.......in our region, one need only to look at Montana during the last years of the Bobby Hauck regime. What happened on that campus cost Hauck and the AD their jobs.

Portlandbison
11-26-2015, 08:52 PM
Didn't Hauck leave to coach unlv?

westnodak93bison
11-26-2015, 08:55 PM
Agreed, Entzion was a class 1 tool ! And RAMBLE On "Cal" great post!!
Where the hell did Entzion come from and where is he at?

CaBisonFan
11-26-2015, 09:38 PM
Where the hell did Entzion come from and where is he at?

Sent from my XT1254 using TapatalkHe came from UND. Not sure where he is now.

BlueBisonRock
11-26-2015, 09:41 PM
He came from UND. Not sure where he is now.

Out of football since Omaha.

Portlandbison
11-26-2015, 09:43 PM
I believe he works and lives in the Duluth area but not in sports administration

BisonFan02
11-26-2015, 09:45 PM
Out of football since Omaha.

http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.cfm/entzion-steps-down-at-ndsu-athletic-director/?id=9081

Yeah........dark times.

DORMIE
11-26-2015, 10:33 PM
Entzion played FB at Moorhead State and worked 3 jobs, Kirby's NSP etc to get through school. He got his PHd at USD and was as assistant AD at UND when he applied at NDSU. I was on the search committee. He was the best candidate of those left during the process. A young guy originally from Moorhead (Sjelgavold) who was at I think TCU dropped out. That more of less left us with Bob. He did a pretty good job hiring coaches, but he and Rocky who I think he let go didn't see eye to eye, probably from moral reasons.

southcliffbison
11-26-2015, 10:54 PM
Didn't Hauck leave to coach unlv?

Yes he did ( and it didn't work out so well at UNLV). I believe he felt something amiss (saw the handwriting on the wall) in the administration and chose to leave before the hammer fell...... anyway, he left the bar so high at UNLV that they hired a high school coach to replace him.

Scooter1
11-27-2015, 12:38 AM
I am skeptical that Rocky's hands were tied on discipline. Lived here and saw the BS first hand. NDSU football reputation was not good outside of the NDSU crowd in Fargo when Rocky then thankfully the AD left. Fargo was done with the BS that was going on I can tell you that. I find the notion some have that Babbich wrecked the NDSU program laughable. The truth is... He repaired a TON of damage.

Bison 4 Life
11-27-2015, 12:53 AM
I am skeptical that Rocky's hands were tied on discipline. Lived here and saw the BS first hand. NDSU football reputation was not good outside of the NDSU crowd in Fargo when Rocky then thankfully the AD left. Fargo was done with the BS that was going on I can tell you that. I find the notion some have that Babbich wrecked the NDSU program laughable. The truth is... He repaired a TON of damage.
If there is anyone who can speak on the Rocky/Entzion dynamic its CAS

Scooter1
11-27-2015, 01:09 AM
I know the dynamics there. I posted the truth about what people outside of the program were saying in Fargo. The truth is closer to the middle I would guess.

scottietohottie
11-27-2015, 01:26 AM

Babbich was coach when I was at NDSU and if that was repairing damage things had to be a mess before he got there. Lamar could do whatever he wanted and still play on Saturdays. I have an uncle who was a team maker with seats on the 35 yard line when the dome opened up. My first Bison game was Pitt state in the dome still have the green domer hanky. (I got left at grandma's for the outside games said I couldn't handle the cold but I think dad and my uncle's just wanted to drink.). Something happened with babbich that made my uncle quit TM give up his seats and to this day he won't go in the dome. I've offered him my tickets and he won't go. He blames Babbich.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
11-27-2015, 01:34 AM

Pretty much how I saw it as well, but was nearly crucified for saying as much a few years ago. No so much the Babbich repairing stuff, but Rocky letting things get out of hand.

Scooter1
11-27-2015, 01:43 AM
I get that it is uncomfortable to read. So we disagree. I feel sad that someone won't go to another Bison game because of something that happened two coaches ago. That's giving someone way too much control over your life.

Have a good holiday.

scottietohottie
11-27-2015, 01:49 AM
I get that it is uncomfortable to read. So we disagree. I feel sad that someone won't go to another Bison game because of something that happened two coaches ago. That's giving someone way too much control over your life.

Have a good holiday.

I've never asked because I know it really bugged him but I think it had something to do with how his donated money was used. He was a bachelor with a good job at the time and just going by where his seats were he made some decent donations. I realize it's nothing like what tickets are now. All I was getting at is dont think Babbich did to much repairing.

Scooter1
11-27-2015, 01:53 AM
OK...BTW is stick it your signature line?

scottietohottie
11-27-2015, 01:58 AM
OK...BTW is stick it your signature line?

Check your pm. Lol if you thought I was telling you to stick it. When your Wentz is broke just Stick it.

GCWaters
11-27-2015, 03:04 AM
Entzion was an ass, but Rocky was out of control, too...don't forget the incident between him and FPD....the university had had it, and someone had to go...I think it should have been Bob, and someone who could've restored order should have been brought in, but they went the other way....it was not a good time for NDSU football, in the community or on the campus....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scooter1
11-27-2015, 05:27 PM
Anyway...
If NDSU wins this season the rest of the FCS should be worried. Dunn, Shepherd, Anderson, Kuhnert, Stick, Illies, Urzendowski, Grimsley, Wimbush,Steidl,Jones, Williams,Pedersen, Board, Dempsey, Davis, C Wentz, Morgan, Menard, Tanguay are all underclassmen.

Mr Meaty
11-27-2015, 05:34 PM
Anyway...
If NDSU wins this season the rest of the FCS should be worried. Dunn, Shepherd, Anderson, Kuhnert, Stick, Illies, Urzendowski, Grimsley, Wimbush,Steidl,Jones, Williams,Pedersen, Board, Dempsey, Davis, C Wentz, Morgan, Menard, Tanguay are all underclassmen.

Even if (big IF) we don't win they should be worried. I was thinking about this yesterday with all the young talent coming back with experience.

FrozenTech
11-27-2015, 05:35 PM
Anyway...

I might be more worried if we *don't* win this year. We all know what Bison Pride did with a chip on its shoulder the first go around..... ;)

ten years from now "God damn it. The Bison own the record for most championships in a row... and the second place.... and the third place. Only three other teams in the last 15 years have won championships!"

;)

ByeSonBusiness
11-27-2015, 06:35 PM
Anyway...

I don't think they'll need to worry. IF they win again, I believe the wheels will be put in motion gearing up for a move...heck they may already.

ZHerd
11-27-2015, 07:02 PM
Anyway...

I think we are a contender next year regardless what happens this playoffs. When we lost to EW in 2010 I remember telling someone that "this team will be a contender in 2011. A flip just switched and this defense will be nasty." This team with its youth and potential is similar to then. The current offense is better than 10 but the current defense I'm not so convinced...certainly not at 2011 playoff level. I feel like they can dominate or get completely exposed based on the offense they face. This team is somewhere between the 2010-11 team right now (better than 10 not at 11level). This playoff is not comparable though because we will be facing much tougher competition than Morgan State and MT St.

gizmo
11-27-2015, 07:06 PM
This "giant", the Bison football program, has been awake for five decades. If anything, it's some Bison fans who think we have fallen asleep if we lose a game or have a subpar season.

BisonFan02
11-27-2015, 07:20 PM
I think we are a contender next year regardless what happens this playoffs. When we lost to EW in 2010 I remember telling someone that "this team will be a contender in 2011. A flip just switched and this defense will be nasty." This team with its youth and potential is similar to then. The current offense is better than 10 but the current defense I'm not so convinced...certainly not at 2011 playoff level. I feel like they can dominate or get completely exposed based on the offense they face. This team is somewhere between the 2010-11 team right now (better than 10 not at 11level). This playoff is not comparable though because we will be facing much tougher competition than Robert Morris and MT St.

FIFY....but I think this year's team is a lot better than the 2010 Bison.

Mr Pep Band
11-27-2015, 07:35 PM
I think we are a contender next year regardless what happens this playoffs. When we lost to EW in 2010 I remember telling someone that "this team will be a contender in 2011. A flip just switched and this defense will be nasty." This team with its youth and potential is similar to then. The current offense is better than 10 but the current defense I'm not so convinced...certainly not at 2011 playoff level. I feel like they can dominate or get completely exposed based on the offense they face. This team is somewhere between the 2010-11 team right now (better than 10 not at 11level). This playoff is not comparable though because we will be facing much tougher competition than Morgan State and MT St.

Agree with the switch being thrown after that Red Turf game. I read an article in an early 2011 Bison Illustrated article by Justin Swanson I believe, which had a quote like this (can't remember exact quote): "You gave a steak to the dogs and then ripped it our of their mouths. They had the taste, and they wanted more."

Bottom line is, they finally knew what playoff victory felt like and were so close to making and possibly winning the Natty that year. The next year, NDSU got #9, and then 10, 11, and 12. Now this year the team has had some struggles, but I believe they feel the urge as strong as ever to uphold and prove the title, "NDSU Bison: Titan of the FCS".

CaBisonFan
11-28-2015, 02:30 AM
This "giant", the Bison football program, has been awake for five decades. If anything, it's some Bison fans who think we have fallen asleep if we lose a game or have a subpar season.
The standard is indeed high...perhaps too high sometimes.

westnodak93bison
11-28-2015, 02:34 AM
The standard is indeed high...perhaps too high sometimes.
This is an all in championship or bust program.

CaBisonFan
11-28-2015, 02:42 AM
This is an all in championship or bust program.

Sent from my XT1254 using TapatalkYou are correct.

MAKBison
11-28-2015, 04:22 AM

The Team has not been exposed since fixing the safety issue. I assume next year our LB position will also be better.

imo... we have the highest physical ability ceiling that we have ever had. The question in my mind is does this team have the drive for perfection like the past teams had.

Portlandbison
11-28-2015, 07:05 AM
The Team has not been exposed since fixing the safety issue. I assume next year our LB position will also be better.

Look pretty exposed for the first half + vs Youngstown with board not at safety. Don't think he was the only reason ndsu struggled this year

CAS4127
11-28-2015, 02:45 PM

imo... we have the highest physical ability ceiling that we have ever had. The question in my mind is does this team have the drive for perfection like the past teams had.

We need OLs too, not just skill players.

Sent from my iPhone.

MAKBison
11-28-2015, 05:12 PM
Look pretty exposed for the first half + vs Youngstown with board not at safety. Don't think he was the only reason ndsu struggled this year.

And they adjusted their alignment and shut YSU down in the second half. Board...No he was not, having a true frosh playing with a guy that struggles to make reads and having 2 OLB that over-pursue was the main issue. They fixed the safety issue by moving Board, the frosh safety is starting to get it, the OLB from Harvey is starting to get it...PGT is still hot and cold.

Share your thoughts as to what needs to be changed

RonMexico
11-28-2015, 11:08 PM

I worked at NDSU during the Rocky years. I can tell you that if you weren't a member of the football team, then Rocky basically treated you like a piece of shit.

Portlandbison
11-28-2015, 11:51 PM

And they adjusted their alignment and shut YSU down in the second half. Board...No he was not, having a true frosh playing with a guy that struggles to make reads and having 2 OLB that over-pursue was the main issue. They fixed the safety issue by moving Board, the frosh safety is starting to get it, the OLB from Harvey is starting to get it...PGT is still hot and cold.

Share your thoughts as to what needs to be changed

Didn't say anything needed to be changed, but it has gotten ridiculous how much criticism board received when it wasn't just him struggling.

MAKBison
11-28-2015, 11:53 PM
Didn't say anything needed to be changed, but it has gotten ridiculous how much criticism board received when it wasn't just him struggling.

True not all his fault, but he was a major part of the issue