PDA

View Full Version : Summit Conference Future

silkamilkamonico
11-26-2015, 03:12 PM
Summit Conference vs Big Sky

4-0 with an average margin of victory of 17.0 points. The only reason I bring this up is because I've followed the Big Sky for a while before NDSU went D1 and it was always a conference that was up and coming with a good team and a sporadic really good player(s). I think Summit can really be one of the better conferences underneath the Mid Major conferences in A-10, Mountain West, Missouri Valley and Conference USA. Right around the 15 range. We'll see.

SDSU has a really nice team this year, hopefully USD and Omaha keep building. We'll need Oral Roberts to be good like they were again. I think our potential lies in the Dakota schools/ORU/Omaha, Denver should be better program than what they are. I think IUPUI/IPFW are maxed out programs. They may have occasional good years but ehy will always be lacking.

May be harder for NDSU to get into the tournament, but in the long run we want a stronger conference with a higher RPI. It's really the only chance to show we can move up if that opportunity ever presents itself.

Should be a fun conference slate this year with some really good games. My hope is next year when the new arena is done NDSU can continue the strength of their home court and make it a really intimidating place to play.

Facts
11-26-2015, 05:32 PM
Imagine if our home court was half as loud as the dome... It'd be a tough place to play!

JSUBison
11-26-2015, 05:42 PM
Last year was a bit of a down year for the conference, finished 21. But the Summit had been hitting that mid to upper teen spot the last couple years. This year I have been very pleased by the wins the conference has been picking up OOC. Right now the Summit is 21-13 against DI teams. Summit teams are beating the teams it should, (Teams ranked 200 and lower) and holding serve against teams between 26-200. Top 25 we are 0-3. The RPI has the Summit at 13. The season is early, and it will drop a bit, but unless the league falls apart, the drop shouldn't be too far. Ranking in the mid to upper teens this year is attainable.

Also, lol@Big Sky RPI is 30.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/conference

tjbison
11-27-2015, 12:15 PM
Last year was a bit of a down year for the conference, finished 21. But the Summit had been hitting that mid to upper teen spot the last couple years. This year I have been very pleased by the wins the conference has been picking up OOC. Right now the Summit is 21-13 against DI teams. Summit teams are beating the teams it should, (Teams ranked 200 and lower) and holding serve against teams between 26-200. Top 25 we are 0-3. The RPI has the Summit at 13. The season is early, and it will drop a bit, but unless the league falls apart, the drop shouldn't be too far. Ranking in the mid to upper teens this year is attainable.

Also, lol@Big Sky RPI is 30.

wasn't wisconsin ranked when western beat them?

silkamilkamonico
11-27-2015, 12:33 PM
wasn't wisconsin ranked when western beat them?

I believe they were yes. If the Summit as a whole can keep getting some really good wins it will be interesting to see where the bid ends up ranked in March.

Mr Meaty
11-27-2015, 12:54 PM
I believe they were yes. If the Summit as a whole can keep getting some really good wins it will be interesting to see where the bid ends up ranked in March.

Need to continue to schedule tough non conference teams and win those games league wide.

Professor Chaos
11-27-2015, 04:55 PM
The Summit is looking to be much improved as a league from last year. It may even end up rivaling 2013-2014 in terms of overall conference performance. If anything it should mean that the conference champ gets better than a 15 seed in the big dance this year (as long as it's not a low seed that wins the conference tournament).

bisonfan08
11-30-2015, 08:13 PM
The Summit is looking pretty good this year, we only have 1 team below .500 and we have 5 1-loss teams along with IPFW at 6-2, Western Illinois knocked off a ranked Wisconsin team, SDSU beat TCU, we took down Montana and there have been some other solid wins against decent mid-major competition. That Illinois game really would have helped us as well but we still have 2 chances to really boost our own RPI with games at Iowa St and also down the line a very solid Utah State team. There's a lot of young talent in this league so as long as we can continue to schedule good OOC games and a few of our teams can get a couple of those wins each year we could position ourselves pretty well going forward. ORU being back definitely helps and teams like USD and Omaha improving each year could lead us to being a very quality mid-major conference. I don't know that we'll ever get to the multiple bid status unless we have 2 teams get some very solid OOC wins and win 25+ games but we should get our conference champ to that 12-13 line in the tournament instead of a 14-15 if we keep it up.

wcb_sas
12-02-2015, 03:35 PM
I always thought NDSU should look to the MAC, MWC or Missouri Valley.

The Summit spans from Indiana to Colorado and from ND to Oklahoma.

Join the Missouri Valley - you upgrade the basketball and other programs slightly and you don't affect the football program whatsoever.
Join the MAC - The furthest west program is in Illinois, so logistically no one may want this to happen but you take all non-football sports up another notch and join FBS for football (think big!).
Join the MWC - Now puts NDSU on the far eastern part of the conference - but now you are in a multi-bid bball league, a football conference that is just below the Power 5 conferences.

Bisonator98
12-02-2015, 03:55 PM
I always thought NDSU should look to the MAC, MWC or Missouri Valley.

The Summit spans from Indiana to Colorado and from ND to Oklahoma.

Join the Missouri Valley - you upgrade the basketball and other programs slightly and you don't affect the football program whatsoever.
Join the MAC - The furthest west program is in Illinois, so logistically no one may want this to happen but you take all non-football sports up another notch and join FBS for football (think big!).
Join the MWC - Now puts NDSU on the far eastern part of the conference - but now you are in a multi-bid bball league, a football conference that is just below the Power 5 conferences.

MVC isn't happening and I wouldn't want to be in with those privates with their noses in the air and anti FB agenda. Both the MAC and MWC are too far away to make logistical sense but if one came calling it would have to be considered. I'd rather see a new FBS conference formed with NDSU, UND, SDSU, USD, UM, MSU, UNI, Missouri State, maybe the Idaho schools.

ZHerd
12-02-2015, 04:08 PM
MVC isn't happening and I wouldn't want to be in with those privates with their noses in the air and anti FB agenda. Both the MAC and MWC are too far away to make logistical sense but if one came calling it would have to be considered. I'd rather see a new FBS conference formed with NDSU, UND, SDSU, USD, UM, MSU, UNI, Missouri State, maybe the Idaho schools.

I don't know how realistic that ever happening is but I like it. That would make for a fun conference

reformedUNDfan
12-02-2015, 04:42 PM
If we're going with pie in the sky fantasy, then why not the AAC? If they get raided by the big 12 again, they'll be looking for good football/bball programs.

HerdBot
12-02-2015, 04:49 PM
All I know is I want teams in the conference that are good, have solid facilities, and good attendance and great atmospheres. Getting games televised is huge too. Were not even there yet with a weak TV schedule for home games.

silkamilkamonico
12-02-2015, 05:13 PM

No way in hell UNI or Missouri St would ever downgrade from the MVC. Their next step if they ever took one would be up to a P5.

They just signed a lucrative 10 year contract with ESPN, which not only helps significantly with funds but allows them to recruit nationally.

For myself MVC wold be dream scenario. High quality basketball conference with a lot of real good programs that care as much about their basketball as we do our football. They put money into their programs, some of the programs have got to a point where they are almost a destination job, look at UNI with Ben and WSU with Marshall. Marshall has his own private jet for recruiting through the school. Would also fit our recruiting footprint and their exposure only helps the schools recruit the best possible players.

silkamilkamonico
12-02-2015, 05:15 PM
All I know is I want teams in the conference that are good, have solid facilities, and good attendance and great atmospheres. Getting games televised is huge too. Were not even there yet with a weak TV schedule for home games.

Missouri Valley Conference is our friend on this. Look at a program like WSU to see the potential ceiling. There is absolutely nothing "mid major" about WSU. Sadly they have arguably been the best basketball program in the state of Kansas over the last handful of years when considering the March tournament.

Tony Almeida
12-02-2015, 05:39 PM
Also as nice as everyone believes the SHAC is going to be, now it becomes the smallest in a conference like the MVC...these guys have some serious arenas, look 'em up.

EC8CH
12-02-2015, 06:38 PM
Also as nice as everyone believes the SHAC is going to be, now it becomes the smallest in a conference like the MVC...these guys have some serious arenas, look 'em up.

I'm sure the plans for the SHAC have a contingency for possible future expansion :hide:

Kujava23
12-03-2015, 08:51 PM
Don't underestimate the effect of actually packing a smaller arena rather than having a large one half full

Professor Chaos
12-18-2015, 12:56 AM
Coming down the stretch of the OOC season and the Summit is really positioned well. According to CBS Sports it's the 10th ranked conference in the nation in terms of Conference RPI. Unless you consider the MWC, AAC, or A-10 as mid-major conferences the Summit is the top rated mid-major conference in that nation in terms of RPI with the CAA nipping right at it's heels.

Rank Conference RPI
1 Pacific 12 Conference 0.5942
2 Big 12 Conference 0.5899
3 Big East Conference 0.5863
4 Southeastern Conference 0.5773
5 Atlantic Coast Conference 0.5721
6 Atlantic 10 Conference 0.5545
7 Big Ten Conference 0.5543
8 Mountain West Conference 0.5309
9 American Athletic Conference 0.5300
10 Summit League 0.5279
11 Colonial Athletic Assn 0.5250
12 Big West Conference 0.5139
13 Missouri Valley Conference 0.5039
14 Mid American Conference 0.4994
15 Horizon League 0.4928
16 West Coast Conference 0.4870
17 Southern Conference 0.4861
18 Sun Belt Conference 0.4806
19 Ohio Valley Conference 0.4715
20 Conference 0.4712
21 Metro Atlantic Athletic Conf 0.4644
22 Ivy League 0.4641
23 America East Conference 0.4569
24 Atlantic Sun 0.4537
25 Southwestern Athletic Conference 0.4528
26 Southland Conference 0.4505
27 Patriot League 0.4497
28 Big South Conference 0.4470
29 Big Sky Conference 0.4407
30 Western Athletic Conference 0.4328
31 Mid Eastern Athletic Conference 0.4171
32 Northeast Conference 0.4131

This better translate into higher than a gd 14 or 15 seed in the big dance for the league champ this year.

North Side
12-18-2015, 01:11 AM
I wonder how abou conference play will hurt the Summit's RPI. This is still amazing for the Summit. It must be the best it has ever been.

Professor Chaos
12-18-2015, 02:02 AM
I wonder how abou conference play will hurt the Summit's RPI. This is still amazing for the Summit. It must be the best it has ever been.
It shouldn't make much of a difference once we get into conference play especially with a true round robin format. For instance, right now ORU is an RPI top 40 team so they'll likely come back down to the pack during the conference season but all the other teams playing them should get a boost.

BISON Thunder
12-18-2015, 01:34 PM
I have been watching the attendance numbers around the league...appears to be greater interest this year in the product. Published attendance for the Montana State game was over 2500, so NDSU MB seems to be on solid ground too.

Professorbum
12-18-2015, 06:11 PM
Don't underestimate the effect of actually packing a smaller arena rather than having a large one half full

Very true. I think Duke's arena only seats about 5,000, not counting student seats on the floor. No one would ever suggest that place doesn't have energy.

Hammersmith
12-18-2015, 11:35 PM
Summit hit #9 on RealTimeRPI. Inched past Mountain West.

bisonfan08
12-21-2015, 01:40 PM
Very true. I think Duke's arena only seats about 5,000, not counting student seats on the floor. No one would ever suggest that place doesn't have energy.

Cameron Indoor seats a little over 9,000 but yes that plays is always packed full of energy and an amazing atmosphere. Take that in comparison to a place like the Carrier Dome where Syracuse plays that seats like 49,000 and while it obviously will get louder because of all the people the atmosphere and energy itself I wouldn't say is any better than it is at Duke. If people wanted a bigger stadium for basketball then more people should have been attending games over the years. Hard to think you need more than 5500 seats when your average attendance is only 2,500. Yes being off campus hurts the student attendance but the last year in the BSA we only averaged 3,300. I'd rather get these games sold out and have a crowd of 5500 than have a 10,000 seat arena 1/3 full that's for sure.

THEsocalledfan
12-21-2015, 01:42 PM
Summit hit #9 on RealTimeRPI. Inched past Mountain West.

How high does RPI need to get to where there are potential chances for an at large bid?

tjbison
12-21-2015, 01:46 PM
How high does RPI need to get to where there are potential chances for an at large bid?

There right now, imo.....but that rpi will come down as the regular season starts rolling along.

Awesome stride this year, gotta keep the OOC strong and winning some

Hammersmith
12-21-2015, 04:02 PM
There right now, imo.....but that rpi will come down as the regular season starts rolling along.

Awesome stride this year, gotta keep the OOC strong and winning some

Yeah, we were at #8 for a day or so, but have dropped to #10. I expect a drop to #12-15 over the next couple weeks. It's not so much that the Summit's RPI will drop, as that the RPIs of those conferences just below us will rise as they enter conference play.

As for an at-large, I suppose if SDSU(45) and ORU(48) continued to win and met in the Summit finals, it might just possibly happen, but I doubt it. I think the Summit needs to prove itself in the Dance before a second bid is seriously considered. If NDSU had made the S16 last year, maybe. Or maybe three years in a row of a Summit team advancing out of the first round. Something like that.

tjbison
12-21-2015, 04:07 PM
Yeah, we were at #8 for a day or so, but have dropped to #10. I expect a drop to #12-15 over the next couple weeks. It's not so much that the Summit's RPI will drop, as that the RPIs of those conferences just below us will rise as they enter conference play.

As for an at-large, I suppose if SDSU(45) and ORU(48) continued to win and met in the Summit finals, it might just possibly happen, but I doubt it. I think the Summit needs to prove itself in the Dance before a second bid is seriously considered. If NDSU had made the S16 last year, maybe. Or maybe three years in a row of a Summit team advancing out of the first round. Something like that.
Yeah, many scenarios for an at large...too much season left to even predict that

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Winning is Gr8
12-21-2015, 04:16 PM
I think if you are playing in conference only; the RPI of the conference shouldn't change- just teams in the conference will change but add up to the total conf #.

NDSUstudent
12-22-2015, 05:35 PM
SDSU is really the only one with a shot and their resume is looking a lot like ours a few years ago...kind of thin in big non-conference accomplishments. ORU had a shot but they've really cooled off.

I think a lot of people put far too much on what the conference does in earning at-large bids. Conferences do not earn them, teams do. You need to pick up some big non-conference wins.

Twentysix
12-22-2015, 07:41 PM
I think if you are playing in conference only; the RPI of the conference shouldn't change- just teams in the conference will change but add up to the total conf #.

That isn't how RPI works.

Twentysix
12-23-2015, 10:22 AM

Actually, I think I'm wrong. That might be how RPI works.

bisonfan08
12-23-2015, 02:30 PM
Summit got a nice win last night with Omaha beating Southern but also took a bit of a hit with SDSU losing to Weber St, a team they'd beaten by 17 earlier in the season. Got a few more chances to boost the conference RPI before conference play begins and we have a big opportunity tonight against a very good Utah St. team.

Professor Chaos
12-28-2015, 06:59 PM

Actually, I think I'm wrong. That might be how RPI works.
The conference RPI can change once we get into conference only play but it shouldn't be too drastic. The RPI is calculated with 25% on winning percentage (weighting road wins highest), 50% on strength of schedule (basically averaging out your opponents' RPI ratings), and 25% on opponents SOS (averaging out your opponents' SOS). The conference win percentage and SOS, which make up 75% of the RPI, shouldn't change much in relation to the other conferences out there. However, mid-major conferences that played a lot of high majors out of conference (like the A-10, MWC, MVC. etc) will work their way up slightly because their opponents' SOS will get better since the high major conferences will have all sorts of teams in the RPI top 50 that they'll have to play during the conference season. Conversely, the low majors that a lot of Summit League teams played (like all the Big Sky teams NDSU played) will drag down the conference opponents' SOS as the season goes on as those low major teams play all the sub-200 RPI teams in their own conference.

Since the Summit, as a whole, didn't play a lot of high major teams (probably 1-3 per team) the conference won't get as big of a bump from the opponents' SOS figures that other conferences whose teams on average played 3-5 games against high major teams.

bruinbison
01-05-2016, 07:38 PM
Over at ESPN - #12 seed for the Summit League (SDSU)
in the bracketology fun & games

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology?iteration=188&region=3&year=2016

silkamilkamonico
03-08-2016, 09:54 PM
So the Summit Conference finished the season RPI ranked 11th out of 32 conferences. Really solid - finished ahead of Mountain West, Missouri Valley, West Coast, and COnference USA. In comparison, the Big Sky for example was ranked 27th.

I honestly never thought I'd see the conference ranked this high. I believe it was probably a 18-23 ranked type of conference when we joined and has slowly and steadily improved.

tjbison
03-09-2016, 12:56 AM
So the Summit Conference finished the season RPI ranked 11th out of 32 conferences. Really solid - finished ahead of Mountain West, Missouri Valley, West Coast, and COnference USA. In comparison, the Big Sky for example was ranked 27th.

I honestly never thought I'd see the conference ranked this high. I believe it was probably a 18-23 ranked type of conference when we joined and has slowly and steadily improved.

need to maintain, its a solid conference and keeping ORU, Denver, Omaha is critical IMO. I really think going after NMSU would be a good idea

SC_TX
03-09-2016, 04:31 AM
Need to go after New Mexico State. No way they are happy in the WAC

wcb_sas
03-09-2016, 11:43 AM
need to maintain, its a solid conference and keeping ORU, Denver, Omaha is critical IMO. I really think going after NMSU would be a good ideaWhy not go after Rutgers or UConn? Goodness gracious any more long distance travel wanted?

NDSU should petition to join the Missouri Valley with maybe UNO or SDSU.

tjbison
03-09-2016, 11:49 AM
Why not go after Rutgers or UConn? Goodness gracious any more long distance travel wanted?

Yeah because that's the same

Fyi, petition all you want NDSU isn't getting into the current MVC, Omaha, ORU, Denver etc have a better shot. They are a basketball/private school first conference.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

HerdBot
03-09-2016, 02:22 PM
Need to go after New Mexico State. No way they are happy in the WAC

Yes. Helps keep Denver too

Jacks02
03-09-2016, 03:36 PM
I just don't see how NMSU is a good fit for the league. It is a good institution, but we finally got rid of Southern Utah, why add back in another horrible road trip for everyone in the league?

Keep in mind, you are not just adding that trip for the basketball teams, you are doing the same for every non-revenue sport as well.

I think Denver is plenty happy as is, why add costs to every member of the league by adding a school so far outside the footprint?

wcb_sas
03-09-2016, 04:43 PM
I just don't see how NMSU is a good fit for the league. It is a good institution, but we finally got rid of Southern Utah, why add back in another horrible road trip for everyone in the league?

Keep in mind, you are not just adding that trip for the basketball teams, you are doing the same for every non-revenue sport as well.

I think Denver is plenty happy as is, why add costs to every member of the league by adding a school so far outside the footprint?:cheers:

Agreed!

wcb_sas
03-09-2016, 04:54 PM
Yeah because that's the same

Fyi, petition all you want NDSU isn't getting into the current MVC, Omaha, ORU, Denver etc have a better shot. They are a basketball/private school first conference.

Sent from my SM-G920V using TapatalkNDSU has a football affiliation with most of these schools.

Additionally - UNI, WSU, Illinois State, So Illinois, Missouri State, Indiana State ... are state institutions. UNI has a reasonable amount of success in football!

Bisonator98
03-09-2016, 04:55 PM
Why not go after Rutgers or UConn? Goodness gracious any more long distance travel wanted?

I don't get this mindset. First the MV is dominated by private BB first schools. They will never add schools like NDSU or SDSU because they know they would not be able to compete. Second I wouldn't be shocked to see Wichita State leave the MV and if that happens the MV will be a shell of itself. It'll be UNI and a bunch of misfits. Most of their schools are damn near broke as it is and have no interest in getting better. No thanks!

The Summit has a chance to become the MV of a few years ago. It's already ahead in RPI and as long as the member schools continue to schedule well and win they have a shot to do just that.

Bisonator98
03-09-2016, 04:58 PM
NDSU has a football affiliation with most of these schools.

Additionally - UNI, WSU, Illinois State, So Illinois, Missouri State, Indiana State ... are state institutions. UNI has a reasonable amount of success in football!

I'd say there would be a better shot at the Summit sponsoring FB and inviting those schools over then there is of NDSU ever getting an invite to the MVC.

wcb_sas
03-09-2016, 04:59 PM
I don't get this mindset. First the MV is dominated by private BB first schools. They will never add schools like NDSU or SDSU because they know they would not be able to compete. Second I wouldn't be shocked to see Wichita State leave the MV and if that happens the MV will be a shell of itself. It'll be UNI and a bunch of misfits. Most of their schools are damn near broke as it is and have no interest in getting better. No thanks!

The Summit has a chance to become the MV of a few years ago. It's already ahead in RPI and as long as the member schools continue to schedule well and win they have a shot to do just that.Not a private school conference ... see the prior post.

FYI - Sagarin rankings - MVC is 11th and Summit is 16th

FYI - Highest ranked Summit team (via Sagarin rankings) would be 4th in the MVC

bisonaudit
03-09-2016, 05:00 PM

The Summit has a chance to become the MV of a few years ago. It's already ahead in RPI and as long as the member schools continue to schedule well and win they have a shot to do just that.

This doesn't convince me that The Summit is a better league. It just convinces me they're better at manipulating the RPI.

Thumper 76
03-09-2016, 05:46 PM
NDSU has a football affiliation with most of these schools.

This has been talked to death over on AGS, it's not going to happen unless there are major changes. In the eyes of MVC schools the MVFC has no real relationship with the MVC besides a couple schools playing football in it. Completely separate conferences. NMSU would be a great add IMO in case Wichita leaves the MVC and they go after Omaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacksfan29
03-09-2016, 08:03 PM
Not a private school conference ... see the prior post.

FYI - Sagarin rankings - MVC is 11th and Summit is 16th

FYI - Highest ranked Summit team (via Sagarin rankings) would be 4th in the MVC

Realtime RPI has

Summit - 11
MVC - 13

SDSU would be #1 in the MVC at a 32

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

When NDSU and SDSU joined the Summit the league sat in the mid to high 20s every year. The MVC has always been in the low to mid-teens with the exception of one year they finished top 10. If Wichita leaves the MVC I would suggest that it is likely UNI begins looking around. If we can continue to improve the conference overall there is no reason the Summit can't be an option for UNI. Much will depend on what happens with football.

silkamilkamonico
03-09-2016, 08:05 PM
Summit will never be a better conference than the MVC. It might have years this year when it's somewhat comparable, but from a money and facilities standpoint, there will never be a comparison.

I would love for NDSU to join the MVC, but like what is stated, we don't fit their criteria, and the football affiliation is absolutely meaningless in the basketball world.

ndsubison1
03-09-2016, 08:06 PM

:facepalm:

ByeSonBusiness
03-09-2016, 08:11 PM

Today I learned that the reason NDSU and SDSU are not MVC members is because they know they cant compete with us!

lol

or are you saying that NDSU and SDSU could not compete? Not entirely sure. I wouldn't agree with that statement either.

bisonaudit
03-09-2016, 08:16 PM
Realtime RPI has

Summit - 11
MVC - 13

When NDSU and SDSU joined the Summit the league sat in the mid to high 20s every year. The MVC has always been in the low to mid-teens with the exception of one year they finished top 10. If Wichita leaves the MVC I would suggest that it is likely UNI begins looking around. If we can continue to improve the conference overall there is no reason the Summit can't be an option for UNI. Much will depend on what happens with football.

Again, just because the selection committee says they use it doesn't make RPI a good measure of team or conference quality. It makes you good/fortunate at scheduling.

Grizzled
03-09-2016, 08:21 PM
Realtime RPI has

Summit - 11
MVC - 13

RPI is too easily manipulated. The NCAA puts a lot of stock in it but there are a lot of coaches out there that know how to game the system. I believe the entire Summit has been coached on this since Miles was at NDSU. I won't use that to compare conferences.

silkamilkamonico
03-09-2016, 08:36 PM
COnference RPI is a good measure in comparable to the conferences ranked around them. You aren't going to say a conference rated 9 is absolutely better than a conference rated 11. On the flip side, you certainly aren;'t going to say a conference rated 15 is better or might be better than a conference rated 10.

bisonaudit
03-09-2016, 09:21 PM
COnference RPI is a good measure in comparable to the conferences ranked around them. You aren't going to say a conference rated 9 is absolutely better than a conference rated 11. On the flip side, you certainly aren;'t going to say a conference rated 15 is better or might be better than a conference rated 10.

I'm not sure about that. RPI has Summit 11, Sagarin says 15. Seems like it could easily miss by 5 slots.

SC_TX
03-09-2016, 10:33 PM

I think Denver is plenty happy as is, why add costs to every member of the league by adding a school so far outside the footprint?

It's not far for Denver or Oral Roberts. Plus this league does not have a "footprint". It's gone from Michigan to Utah to Louisiana to the Dakotas over the years. The league needs a other team or two. Western Illinois is currently in a disastrous state financially and may shut down for the summer (the whole university). In no way do they add anything to the league. In the WAC NMSU does not fit right now, especially eith Idaho in the big sky now.

Bison bison
03-09-2016, 11:30 PM
Some of you need to look at a map.

HerdBot
03-10-2016, 12:55 AM
Some of you need to look at a map.

We fly to every team in the conference except SDSU and USD. Denver is on an island and would like them to join. Reality is when your in ND, SD, and Nebraska, your not going to be a bus league and we have very limited options. Have we seen the Big Sky footprint?

silkamilkamonico
03-10-2016, 01:08 AM
We fly to every team in the conference except SDSU and USD. Denver is on an island and would like them to join. Reality is when your in ND, SD, and Nebraska, your not going to be a bus league and we have very limited options. Have we seen the Big Sky footprint?

Sometimes I think some people really do want UND and the old NCC back. If someone wants to argue a regional conference, it's fine to have that opinion, but that is literally our only option. Denver wanted the Summit after seeing the WAC cluster for one year. Oral Roberts was happy to leave and even happier to come back. New Mexico St has a really good basketball program and would really make the conference fun.

I'm someone who could care less about the geography and the cost (it hasn't hurt us yet and it won't by adding NMS) and the land grant schools and all that mumbo jumbo bs. I just want the best possible basketball conference and adding NMS woul absolutely benefit the Summit.

Bison bison
03-10-2016, 01:52 AM
Money talks and bullsh#t walks, Silk.

silkamilkamonico
03-10-2016, 01:57 AM
Money will be walking in more often with a better basketball conference. We've seen that in the last 10 years.

sambini
03-10-2016, 03:11 AM
Make this league better I miss Oakland.

Hammersmith
03-10-2016, 04:00 AM
NMSU might be worth it for baseball alone. We could really use another baseball school just to give us a bit more breathing room for the autobid. Something UMKC wouldn't help with even if they decided to follow ORU and return. And those are the only two WAC schools that are all that palatable. UVU's & GCU's academics leave a ton to be desired*, and everyone else's geography is way worse than NMSU.

*I don't follow the f'hawker party line about academics being a major factor for conference affiliation at our level, but GCU is a for-profit and UVU was a junior college not that long ago. Either school is just a hair above Chicago St. That's just too much to overlook.

Bison bison
03-10-2016, 04:10 AM
Don't forget that UVSU is full of assholes.

HerdBot
03-10-2016, 05:38 AM
Sometimes I think some people really do want UND and the old NCC back. If someone wants to argue a regional conference, it's fine to have that opinion, but that is literally our only option. Denver wanted the Summit after seeing the WAC cluster for one year. Oral Roberts was happy to leave and even happier to come back. New Mexico St has a really good basketball program and would really make the conference fun.

I'm someone who could care less about the geography and the cost (it hasn't hurt us yet and it won't by adding NMS) and the land grant schools and all that mumbo jumbo bs. I just want the best possible basketball conference and adding NMS woul absolutely benefit the Summit.

Absolutely. We need to conference to get more teams with more big name recognition and teams that draw well and have great atmospheres. New Mexico State fits the bill.

I think people forget that conferences like the Big Ten are huge because the quality of the opponents and atmospheres are great. Kids want to play in front of great atmospheres against teams with some name recognition. These guys have a better than the rest of the Summit name IMO.

bisonp
03-10-2016, 01:54 PM
Absolutely. We need to conference to get more teams with more big name recognition and teams that draw well and have great atmospheres. New Mexico State fits the bill.

I think people forget that conferences like the Big Ten are huge because the quality of the opponents and atmospheres are great. Kids want to play in front of great atmospheres against teams with some name recognition. These guys have a better than the rest of the Summit name IMO.

You really think NMSU would have a better atmosphere than Bison/F'Hawks would (did) have as conference foes? That NMSU has better name recognition to area recruits?

There is no question NMSU is a better basketball program. But we need to keep things honest here.

HerdBot
03-10-2016, 02:08 PM
You really think NMSU would have a better atmosphere than Bison/F'Hawks would (did) have as conference foes? That NMSU has better name recognition to area recruits?

There is no question NMSU is a better basketball program. But we need to keep things honest here.

I never said I didn't want UND. They make perfect sense too but we should shoot for more than 1 team to stabilize the conference.

And for the other teams in the conference not in ND or SD, New Mexico State is a better draw than UND. I highly doubt IPFW, IUPUI, Western Illinois, and Oral Roberts fans would get excited about UND. Denver or Omaha fans maybe a little bit with prior history, but no more than NMSU who is new and exciting.

UND would guarantee another sell out for NDSU, SDSU, and USD every year and make the conference tournament even bigger with the close proximity. Those are some great rivalry games.

New Mexico State would flat out be a good draw and help with rpi and attendance for the conference.

I say add both. Would love to play both every year. Fans would love it. Players would love it. Recruits would be more impressed.

AKBison
03-10-2016, 02:21 PM
A hair off topic but if Minnesota State drops football sans Omaha they would be a great fit and would likely compete fairly quickly in basketball.

bisonp
03-10-2016, 02:35 PM
I never said I didn't want UND. They make perfect sense too but we should shoot for more than 1 team to stabilize the conference.

And for the other teams in the conference not in ND or SD, New Mexico State is a better draw than UND. I highly doubt IPFW, IUPUI, Western Illinois, and Oral Roberts fans would get excited about UND. Denver or Omaha fans maybe a little bit with prior history, but no more than NMSU who is new and exciting.

UND would guarantee another sell out for NDSU, SDSU, and USD every year and make the conference tournament even bigger with the close proximity. Those are some great rivalry games.

New Mexico State would flat out be a good draw and help with rpi and attendance for the conference.

I say add both. Would love to play both every year. Fans would love it. Players would love it. Recruits would be more impressed.

Both? That I'd agree with.

bisonp
03-10-2016, 02:40 PM
A hair off topic but if Minnesota State drops football sans Omaha they would be a great fit and would likely compete fairly quickly in basketball.

They play in an oversized high school gym. They can't afford DI. Recent athletic success aside, that is a school on the decline.

jacksfan29
03-10-2016, 02:45 PM

How is it a horrible road trip? NMSU is not SUU. El Paso is a quick 45 minute I10 drive to Las Cruces. How is that trip different than a flight to Sioux Falls and a 45 minute bus ride to Brookings or Vermillion or Peoria and McComb? NMSU have very few options right now. They stay in a horrible WAC minus Idaho go Independent and wait it out. They move everything to the Big Sky, drop to FCS or they come to the Summit, hook back up with Denver and go Independent and wait it out. The Big Sky travel would be worse for them than the Summit.

NMSU makes the Summit a better conference. They draw well, would up the conference RPI and give both Denver and ORU "friend" away from the Midwest/Northern Plains and add an excellent program which would help make Summit baseball stable. Academically they are a good school and outside of FB the school has a solid reputation. It is a state school, not a directional.

The NMSU President has been quoted as saying he has been approached by a couple conferences. We know the BSC is one, I would lay odds that the other is the Summit. Douple has done a good job going after schools that we want. I would not be surprised at all to see NMSU in the Summit beginning 2017-18 academic year.

EndZoneQB
03-10-2016, 02:49 PM
They play in an oversized high school gym. They can't afford DI. Recent athletic success aside, that is a school on the decline.

The Taylor Center? It looks pretty similar to how the new BSA is probably going to look, just slightly smaller. If they had a nice scoreboard it'd be pretty damn similar.

How is it a horrible road trip? NMSU is not SUU. El Paso is a quick 45 minute I10 drive to Las Cruces. How is that trip different than a flight to Sioux Falls and a 45 minute bus ride to Brookings or Vermillion or Peoria and McComb? NMSU have very few options right now. They stay in a horrible WAC minus Idaho go Independent and wait it out. They move everything to the Big Sky, drop to FCS or they come to the Summit, hook back up with Denver and go Independent and wait it out. The Big Sky travel would be worse for them than the Summit.

NMSU makes the Summit a better conference. They draw well, would up the conference RPI and give both Denver and ORU "friend" away from the Midwest/Northern Plains and add an excellent program which would help make Summit baseball stable. Academically they are a good school and outside of FB the school has a solid reputation. It is a state school, not a directional.

The NMSU President has been quoted as saying he has been approached by a couple conferences. We know the BSC is one, I would lay odds that the other is the Summit. Douple has done a good job going after schools that we want. I would not be surprised at all to see NMSU in the Summit beginning 2017-18 academic year.

Isn't the goal to be a 2 bid league in basketball anyway? This would probably go a long way to helping make that happen.

roadwarrior
03-10-2016, 03:00 PM
There is more than one Minnesota State. Confusion follows when you aren't specific.

bisonp
03-10-2016, 03:29 PM
There is more than one Minnesota State. Confusion follows when you aren't specific.

Yes, he should have specified MSUM!

OK Mankato may not be bad...but there are political hurdles with the U of M to overcome there too. And they'd undoubtedly lose Vikings training camp if they drop football. I don't see it happening.

bisonp
03-10-2016, 03:31 PM

OK Mankato may not be bad...but there are political hurdles with the U of M to overcome there too. And they'd undoubtedly lose Vikings training camp if they drop football. I don't see it happening.

1998braves64
03-10-2016, 04:08 PM

They're likely going to lose training camp in the future anyway because aren't the Vikings talking about building a facility in Edina or somewhere that would double as training camp location?

jacksfan29
03-10-2016, 04:22 PM
The Taylor Center? It looks pretty similar to how the new BSA is probably going to look, just slightly smaller. If they had a nice scoreboard it'd be pretty damn similar.

Isn't the goal to be a 2 bid league in basketball anyway? This would probably go a long way to helping make that happen.

If we are to be a two bid league these are the type of schools we have to go after. Keeping Oakland would have been better, that ship has sailed. If the goal is to get better and become a high mid-major NMSU is a great option.

ndsubison1
03-10-2016, 05:30 PM
Its not like we're talking about NJIT. In fact Id rather have an NMSU, then a UMKC or Chicago State, that's closer to us.

SC_TX
03-10-2016, 05:45 PM
Its not like we're talking about NJIT. In fact Id rather have an NMSU, then a UMKC or Chicago State, that's closer to us.

Yes. Those two schools add absolutely nothing. New Mexico State has the benefit of being one of the two major universities in a particular state. It's like NDSU in that way. Far better than being the 5th school at best in Missouri or the 15th in Illinois

Bison bison
03-10-2016, 06:05 PM
Yeah, NMSU is the Harvard of southern New Mexico.

What are we waiting for?

jacksfan29
03-10-2016, 06:17 PM

Chicago State may not completely close their doors, but layoff notices have gone out and their athletic department is in a world of hurt. How long before they consider moving down to D3 because they can't afford the WAC and no one else in D1 wants them?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-chicago-state-basketball-budget-debate-spt-0203-20160202-story.html

The state of Illinois will get their act together eventually, but once the budget crisis comes to an end how many changes in athletics will occur, forced by a new funding agreement? Not just at Chicago State but how about WIU?

Bison bison
03-10-2016, 06:22 PM
Which sports is UND going to drop?

North Side
03-10-2016, 06:26 PM
Which sports is UND going to drop?

hockey ten char.

jacksfan29
03-10-2016, 06:55 PM
Yeah, NMSU is the Harvard of southern New Mexico.

What are we waiting for?

Maybe not, but academically they are a lot more like NDSU and SDSU than you may think, except nationally they are more prestigious than either of us.

They are a Land Grant. They have a higher enrollment, larger endowment and they spend more research dollars than either NDSU or SDSU. In other words, they are a pier of Colorado State while both NDSU and SDSU are piers of Montana State. Getting NMSU into the Summit would be a coo for the league and it would be a benefit to the academic reputation of both NDSU and SDSU.

Bison bison
03-10-2016, 07:17 PM
it would be a benefit to the academic reputation of both NDSU and SDSU.

Um, bullsh#t.

Never in my life will I walk into a meeting with academics, business, or government and hear the words, "Being in the same athletic conference as New Mexico State made me revisit my thoughts about the prestige of NDSU."

Never.

NDSUstudent
03-10-2016, 07:35 PM
NMSU has a solid hoops program and a baseball team that isn't on the frozen tundra. If they want in, I am all for it.

Tony Almeida
03-10-2016, 11:10 PM

I agree with this too...lets get this thing rolling. We need NMSU for sure!

AKBison
03-10-2016, 11:49 PM

I know to the old guard they are Mankato but within the last decade they have rebranded themselves athletically as Minnesota State. Because my hate for the Gophers is stronger than my respect for the my elders, I cheerfully respect their wishes and call them Minnesota State.

AKBison
03-10-2016, 11:53 PM

It would in the top half of the Summit and with a few upgrades, on par with the new SHAC.

Back on topic though, NMSU to the Summit is beyond a home run. They have had more basketball success than all of the current and former Summit schools COMBINED.

EndZoneQB
03-11-2016, 05:19 AM
It would in the top half of the Summit and with a few upgrades, on par with the new SHAC.

Back on topic though, NMSU to the Summit is beyond a home run. They have had more basketball success than all of the current and former Summit schools COMBINED.

Old. I already posted about it.

BlueBisonRock
03-11-2016, 07:30 AM
Old. I already posted about it.

But we have you on ignore!

SC_TX
03-11-2016, 06:20 PM
Somewhat on the topic. Minnesota only has 1 D1 school. Only 4 other states have just 1 D1 school (Hawaii, Wyoming, Vermont and Maine) and obviously MN is a much bigger state than any of those. The state could certainly support more D1 schools.

SC_TX
03-11-2016, 06:23 PM
Chicago State may not completely close their doors, but layoff notices have gone out and their athletic department is in a world of hurt. How long before they consider moving down to D3 because they can't afford the WAC and no one else in D1 wants them?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-chicago-state-basketball-budget-debate-spt-0203-20160202-story.html

The state of Illinois will get their act together eventually, but once the budget crisis comes to an end how many changes in athletics will occur, forced by a new funding agreement? Not just at Chicago State but how about WIU?

WIU is in big trouble. The school may shut down in the summer to save money. Eastern Illinois may cease to exist entirely.

tjbison
03-11-2016, 06:41 PM
Somewhat on the topic. Minnesota only has 1 D1 school. Only 4 other states have just 1 D1 school (Hawaii, Wyoming, Vermont and Maine) and obviously MN is a much bigger state than any of those. The state could certainly support more D1 schools.

which helps NDSU, don't need anothe school closer to MSP

Jacks02
03-14-2016, 02:36 PM

Didn't realize Las Cruces was that close to El Paso. I guess that makes it quite a bit easier, as either a Oral Roberts or Denver travel partner, as they both have Southwest Airlines service between their cities.

SC_TX
04-04-2016, 02:20 PM
Not really a good sign that one of the top coaches in the league gets hired away for Wright State

Professor Chaos
04-04-2016, 03:16 PM
Not really a good sign that one of the top coaches in the league gets hired away for Wright State
Also troubling to note that Richman, starting his 3rd year at NDSU, is now the 3rd longest tenured head coach in the conference after Sutton at ORU and Hansen at Omaha.

bisonfan08
04-04-2016, 03:19 PM

So I missed this, who left for Wright State?

tony
04-04-2016, 03:30 PM

Without knowing Nagy's reasons?

Anyway, if Wright State is offering much more money, it's a good sign for Summit League coaches (and a wake-up call to Summit Leagtue athletic departments.)

BisonNation11
04-04-2016, 03:31 PM
Until coaches in the Summit start getting paid in the $500k area, you're going to see them leave for jobs like Wright State. Money talks. No coaching job is guaranteed nor is having a coaching job in the future. These guys need to take their money when they can get it. Can't fault them for looking out for themselves.

1998braves64
04-04-2016, 04:27 PM
Look at it as they're having success and those a step above us see this and throw money at them. If you have 4-6 coaches there for 10 some years then I'd be concerned more than I'm now.
Sent from Win8 phone on a bullet train from Hillsboro.

jacksfan29
04-04-2016, 04:31 PM
Without knowing Nagy's reasons?

Anyway, if Wright State is offering much more money, it's a good sign for Summit League coaches (and a wake-up call to Summit Leagtue athletic departments.)

Rumor has the salary north of $500K. That, the fact that he is 49 and the move is now or never plus by all accounts Wright State are looking to put some money into their program and there is no football team to compete with pretty much sums up the reason for his leaving.

tjbison
04-04-2016, 09:54 PM
anyone have a list of Summit-Horizon-MAC-MVC-Big Sky coaching salaries?

AKBison
04-06-2016, 04:38 AM
anyone have a list of Summit-Horizon-MAC-MVC-Big Sky coaching salaries?

Don't have the numbers but if you want to play to win in the MVC your looking at 7 figures. In the case of Gregg Marshall, 3.5 million. We are clearly still a low major but are on the right track to move up to the mid major level with continued success. Finding a way to keep Richmond if he keeps us moving forward with a 500k salary would be a huge start.

HerdBot
04-06-2016, 05:10 AM
Don't have the numbers but if you want to play to win in the MVC your looking at 7 figures. In the case of Gregg Marshall, 3.5 million. We are clearly still a low major but are on the right track to move up to the mid major level with continued success. Finding a way to keep Richmond if he keeps us moving forward with a 500k salary would be a huge start.

Adding a team like New Mexico State could help the conference. 1) RPI 2) Attendance. Fans want to see good games and more ticket sales = more revenue.

tjbison
04-07-2016, 11:04 PM
The Summit has reached out to NMSU.

The Valley can't lose NMSU to The freaking Summit and maintain the .0001% respectability it has from WSU and UNI.

From a UNI poster on the MVC board, didn't know they had but if true I like it

JSUBison
04-07-2016, 11:57 PM
From a UNI poster on the MVC board, didn't know they had but if true I like it

Summit has been in contact with NMSU for some time now, according to WAC and NMSU message boards. Long before NMSU was booted from the Sun Belt.

southcliffbison
04-09-2016, 03:31 AM

If you think we need to pay Richman (not Richmond.....we are not talking about the Spiders here) a half a million in the future to keep him, what do you think our football coach's salary should be ?

AKBison
04-09-2016, 04:54 AM
If you think we need to pay Richman (not Richmond.....we are not talking about the Spiders here) a half a million in the future to keep him, what do you think our football coach's salary should be ?

"Richmond" (damn auto correct!) Were talking basketball here and that's what it would take to keep our coach from leaving NDSU for a mid major school. Football is a different animal...

unbison
04-09-2016, 12:35 PM

Is our football team in the summit?

southcliffbison
04-09-2016, 02:33 PM
Is our football team in the summit?

I was speaking relatively, Unbison

unbison
04-09-2016, 02:58 PM
I was speaking relatively, Unbison

I will to our football coach is one of the highest paid fcs coaches in the country

tjbison
04-09-2016, 04:02 PM
Douple was on Kolpack and Izzo, said all 9 current presidents voted and assured their commitment to the conference and all agreed to the $1 Million dollar exit fee, that's pretty good. Obviously that doesn't mean a whole lot but it helps. Said they will look at expansion to 10, 12, 14 and it sounded like the presidents were in line with that. He said they have schools calling them interested in the league not them calling the schools anymore. No hint at any particular, but I'm guessing NMSU, UMKC are top of that list..but who knows maybe UND to get to 12 work a deal to keep their FB in the Big Sky because the MVFC isn't expanding another Dakota school unless someone leaves and I don't see that happening soon

They also discussed all the new Facilities that are/were opened in the past year and next

HerdBot
04-09-2016, 04:55 PM
Douple was on Kolpack and Izzo, said all 9 current presidents voted and assured their commitment to the conference and all agreed to the $1 Million dollar exit fee, that's pretty good. Obviously that doesn't mean a whole lot but it helps. Said they will look at expansion to 10, 12, 14 and it sounded like the presidents were in line with that. He said they have schools calling them interested in the league not them calling the schools anymore. No hint at any particular, but I'm guessing NMSU, UMKC are top of that list..but who knows maybe UND to get to 12 work a deal to keep their FB in the Big Sky because the MVFC isn't expanding another Dakota school unless someone leaves and I don't see that happening soon

They also discussed all the new Facilities that are/were opened in the past year and next

The Big Sky has always been open to charter programs. See UC Davis and Cal Poly.

Tony Almeida
04-09-2016, 11:56 PM

Everything I was wondering and hoping for...good to hear!

EndZoneQB
04-10-2016, 02:45 AM

Makes sense, the Summit has steadily gotten better since NDSU/SDSU/USD joined. It's no longer the bottom feeder it was, just need to keep being competitive OOC and winning a game every couple of years in the tournament.

North Side
04-10-2016, 09:25 PM
Potential Additions:

UND
New Mexico State
UMKC
Chicago State

Oakland will never come back, but that's the only former Summit League team I want to play again.

Bison"FANatic"
04-10-2016, 10:06 PM
Potential Additions:

UND
New Mexico State
UMKC
Chicago State

Oakland will never come back, but that's the only former Summit League team I want to play again.

I really don't think Chicago State is even in the conversation. They are in a dire financial state.

AKBison
04-10-2016, 10:39 PM
NDSU
und
SDSU
USD
Omaha
UMKC
WIU
Denver
ORU
NMSU

Send IPFW and IUPUI packing...or not

tjbison
04-10-2016, 10:40 PM
Potential Additions:

UND
New Mexico State
UMKC
Chicago State

Chicago st is not going to be admitted

The others yes, maybe even a surprise out there who knows, hope they get someone, really want NMSU

tjbison
04-10-2016, 10:41 PM
NDSU
und
SDSU
USD
Omaha
UMKC
WIU
Denver
ORU
NMSU

Send IPFW and IUPUI packing...or not

They committed to the conference also, I could see an east west set up though

El_Chapo
04-10-2016, 10:42 PM
He'll on to und in the summit. Tom double was emailed a compilation of tweets/fbook posts of und fans trashing him and calling him names. He didn't forget

Twentysix
04-10-2016, 11:34 PM
Potential Additions:

UND
New Mexico State
UMKC
Chicago State

UND and NMSU would be great additions.

I'd love to have Oakland back too. I wouldn't mind having UMKC return, but I also dgaf if they don't.

Oakland UND UMKC and NMSU would be great. Of course, Oakland isn't coming back...

bisonfan08
04-11-2016, 02:16 PM
Expansion to 12 teams would be great for the conference but they need to be the right 12 teams in order for it to be successful. Instead of an East/West alignment I think North/South might work better if the teams being discussed would actually be the teams joining:

North
NDSU
UND
SDSU
USD
IPFW
WIU

South
Omaha
UMKC
IUPUI
Denver
ORU
NMSU

That being said at 12 teams we should still be able to play most everybody in the conference twice anyway but it would have to rotate a little. This would also change the Summit League tourney a bit and the top seeds would no longer get a day off. Your top 4 wouldn't play Saturday but would still play 3 in a row Sunday-Tuesday. It would be a lot of fun that's for sure!

HerdBot
04-11-2016, 04:19 PM
Potential Additions:

UND
New Mexico State
UMKC
Chicago State

Chicago State would only be a last ditch effort if we were ever in a position to lose our auto bid status. They are a total dogshit program.
For conference stability - UND makes sense
For a big name draw - New Mex State makes sense
For a good geographic fit, UMKC makes sense

I would favor adding all of them, minus Chicago State of course. They bring nothing to the table other than another Illinois school and an opportunity for recruiting the Chicago area. And as far as larger markets, they are at the rock bottom of the list and get zero media coverage. They would be like Jamestown in North Dakota. Nobody gives a shit.

HerdBot
04-11-2016, 04:24 PM
Expansion to 12 teams would be great for the conference but they need to be the right 12 teams in order for it to be successful. Instead of an East/West alignment I think North/South might work better if the teams being discussed would actually be the teams joining:

North
NDSU
UND
SDSU
USD
IPFW
WIU

South
Omaha
UMKC
IUPUI
Denver
ORU
NMSU

That being said at 12 teams we should still be able to play most everybody in the conference twice anyway but it would have to rotate a little. This would also change the Summit League tourney a bit and the top seeds would no longer get a day off. Your top 4 wouldn't play Saturday but would still play 3 in a row Sunday-Tuesday. It would be a lot of fun that's for sure!

I doubt they would put the 2 Indiana schools in different conferences. I say flip IPFW with Omaha. Omaha was a good fit even in the old NCC days. I think there are some opposite conference teams you would have to play, mostly for travel. it's a goofy geographical deal and tough to do because having WIU and the 2 Indiana schools should probably be together. Or flip WIU with IUPUI?

North
NDSU
UND
SDSU
USD
Omaha
WIU

South
IPFW
UMKC
IUPUI
Denver
ORU
NMSU

tony
04-11-2016, 06:49 PM
Pairing Eastern Time Zone schools with Mountain Time Zone schools would really suck, especially for the Indiana schools. Can't do it.

Bison bison
04-11-2016, 06:51 PM
Robots are stupid.

IzzyFlexion
04-11-2016, 07:04 PM
Won't need to worry about Chicago State as that school is on the brink of closing.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-state-university-layoff-notices-20160226-story.html

North Side
04-12-2016, 02:19 AM
Won't need to worry about Chicago State as that school is on the brink of closing.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-chicago-state-university-layoff-notices-20160226-story.html

Dang... How would you like to be a student there. I might graduate if the school doesn't close before the semester is over.

HerdBot
04-12-2016, 02:29 AM
Pairing Eastern Time Zone schools with Mountain Time Zone schools would really suck, especially for the Indiana schools. Can't do it.

I didn't even think of that, good point. They are just in a bad geographic spot being the only eastern time zone. So I guess they would have to be there

tony
04-12-2016, 12:52 PM
Dang... How would you like to be a student there. I might graduate if the school doesn't close before the semester is over.

Considering that their 4-year graduation rate is 2%, it might not be that much a worry.

Mr Meaty
04-12-2016, 12:57 PM
Considering that their 4-year graduation rate is 2%, it might not be that much a worry.

How does a school continue to be in "business" with a rate that poor? Is there not some standard that needs to be achieved to be accredited?

bisonfan08
04-12-2016, 03:30 PM

I didn't think of this either, good point. My thought process was just trying to keep all the Dakota schools together which could still be accomplished with something like:

West
NDSU
UND
SDSU
USD
Denver
NMSU

East
IUPUI
IPFW
WIU
Omaha
UMKC
ORU

This would be fun, hopefully we seen something like this in the near future

tony
04-12-2016, 05:46 PM
How does a school continue to be in "business" with a rate that poor? Is there not some standard that needs to be achieved to be accredited?

Well, if it's run like a for-profit school, their business model has nothing to do with producing graduates able to pay off their student loans.

North Side
04-13-2016, 02:29 AM
Well, if it's run like a for-profit school, their business model has nothing to do with producing graduates able to pay off their student loans.

I thought Chicago state was a public school not a for profit one. (side note I really dislike for profit schools always felt they are a negative on society, they are not about education they are just about a profit and if the student is left with 3 times the debt for the same degree at a different school no big deal...)

Bisonwinagn
04-13-2016, 06:36 PM

Wait I thought politics weren't allowed on this site. I guess it depends on who.

HerdBot
04-13-2016, 10:44 PM

2%! Wow, Rob Portly wanted Dean B to be fired because ours is like 50%

tony
04-14-2016, 02:58 PM
Wait I thought politics weren't allowed on this site. I guess it depends on who.

Exsqueeze me? How in the world was that post an example of partisan politics? And if so, what am I this time? A commie-liberal or a fascist-conservative? I'd like to know because I've been filling in Independent on my voter registration. :)

56BISON73
04-14-2016, 11:35 PM

How did you play the politics card on this???????????????