PDA

View Full Version : Bracketology....Selection Sunday a Week Away...

NDSUstudent
11-15-2015, 02:49 AM
Thought I would move the bracket discussion to the main forum...Just posted this on AGS as well...So here is my bracket projection....

The Bracket
Fordham at Richmond vs 1. JSU
The Citadel at CCU vs 8. Charleston Southern

EIU at UNI vs 5. Illinois State
Dayton at Chattanooga vs 4. SDSU

UND at SHSU vs 3. McNeese State
Duquesne at JMU vs 6. William and Mary

SUU at Montana vs 7. Portland State
Colgate at UNH vs 2. NDSU

Autobid: SUU, Charleston Southern, W&M, NDSU, Duquesne, JSU, Colgate, Dayton, Chattanooga, McNeese State
At-Large: Portland State, ISUR, SDSU, Richmond, JMU, Fordham, SHSU, Montana, CCU, UNI, EIU, UND, UNH, The Citadel
Bubble: NAU, Towson, Villanova, UCA, EKU, UTM, EWU

NDSUstudent
11-15-2015, 02:50 AM
I will add the Stats, Nobowls and other brackets here when they are released...

NoBowls.com (http://nobowls.com/)

http://nobowls.com/images/week11.png

Stats.com Bracket... (http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20151115121749698507704)

Dayton-Chattanooga winner at No. 1 seed Jacksonville State
Eastern Illinois-Montana winner at No. 8 seed Portland State

Sam Houston State-Eastern Washington winner at No. 5 seed McNeese State
Fordham-James Madison winner at No. 4 seed Illinois State

Southern Utah-Northern Iowa winner at No. 3 seed South Dakota State
The Citadel-North Carolina A&T winner at No. 6 seed Charleston Southern

Duquesne-William & Mary winner at No. 7 seed Coastal Carolina
Colgate-Richmond winner at No. 2 seed North Dakota State

Bison Media Bracketology...
(http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/bracketology-7-0/)
http://i0.wp.com/bisonmedia.areavoices.com/files/2015/11/2015-Bracketology-7.1.png?resize=620%2C774

No_Skill
11-15-2015, 03:15 AM
If und gets in, don't you think it's a lock that they would get sent to Fargo?

NDSUstudent
11-15-2015, 03:20 AM

Maybe depending on how it all shakes out but I wouldn't call it a lock. In my bracket I had bunch of geographically friendly pairings and then came to UND/SHSU...makes more sense to send the winner to McNeese in my mind.

scottietohottie
11-15-2015, 03:23 AM
Maybe depending on how it all shakes out but I wouldn't call it a lock. In my bracket I had bunch of geographically friendly pairings and then came to UND/SHSU...makes more sense to send the winner to McNeese in my mind.

Just looking at your bracket I would say that either Montana or und would be put in a position to come to Fargo if they win the first game. I realize they can't play each other first round. I'm not claiming to be an expert but I did stay at a holiday inn last night.

NDSUstudent
11-15-2015, 03:26 AM
Just looking at your bracket I would say that either Montana or und would be put in a position to come to Fargo if they win the first game. I realize they can't play each other first round. I'm not claiming to be an expert but I did stay at a holiday inn last night.

I think Montana goes to a Big Sky seed...of course if SUU and PSU both lose there might not be one. Montana isn't really at all close to Fargo.

The odd thing with UND is that they aren't exactly a lock to host a game. But if they get a team like Dayton or NAU or SUU, I can certainly see it.

BisoninNWMN
11-15-2015, 11:42 AM
IMO, I think the committee will reward a 10-0 McNeese team with the #2 seed. Their SOS sucks but they sure do like undefeated teams.

I think if the Bison end up 9-2 and get the auto, they will be anywhere from 2-4. Hopefully #2 because no team other than a Valley team will have a chance to beat the Bison at home.

NDSUstudent
11-15-2015, 05:28 PM

NDSU1980
11-15-2015, 05:51 PM

I would think this would be a very good bracket for us. Doubt McNeese would make it to the semi's, so we'd still be at home the whole way, and no MVFC teams on our side.

NDSUstudent
11-15-2015, 06:20 PM
Stats.com Bracket... (http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20151115121749698507704)

Bisonwinagn
11-15-2015, 06:35 PM
If those are the final teams I wonder how much name recognition will come into play? Some big time programs on that list.

NDSUstudent
11-15-2015, 06:44 PM
If those are the final teams I wonder how much name recognition will come into play? Some big time programs on that list.

Well Montana and UNI are locks if they win obviously.

I think UNH gets in as well. After that not sure...UND would have the inside track with the FBS win and PSU win.

DM05
11-15-2015, 08:05 PM
Bored as shit and tired of looking all over for info, so I put together the attachment.

14 locks including auto bids; that leaves 10 spots.

Richmond and Portland State probably in even if they lose this week, that leaves 8 spots.

Winner of Northern Arizona vs Southern Utah.
Winner of Eastern Kentucky vs Eastern Illinois.
Winner of Sam Houston vs Central Arkansas. That leaves 5 spots.

Other teams that can get to 7 D1 wins with a win this weekend: Northern Iowa, Montana, North Dakota, New Hampshire, Towson, Villanova, Eastern Washington. Plus, if SUU and CAU lose in the games above, they would still have 7 wins.

The Citadel has 7 and could get an at large, and the MEAC #2 Bethune-Cookman can still be named an at large.

UND is by no means a "win and they're in." All depends on how a few games shake out.

DM05
11-15-2015, 08:25 PM
As for how I think the committee seeds the playoffs:
1: Jax St: they've handled their business in a weak conference against the #49 SOS in the FCS. Lost to FBS Auburn in OT. Congrats.
2: NDSU: beat SDSU on the road by 21, good win against UNI, all 10 games so far against Sagarin top 45. 2 loses, both by 3 on the last play of the game.
3: SDSU: beat ISUr, won big against SUU, FBS win over Kansas by 3. 2 losses, to UNI and NDSU (both at home).
4: ISUr: beat UNI, and Eastern Illinois in OT. 2 losses, to Iowa and SDSU (both on the road).
5: McNeese St: Undefeated against the #78 SOS in FCS. Will only play 10 games, one win against D2 team. Best wins against Sam Houston and Central Arkansas.
6: William & Mary: 9 win CAA champ.
7: Coastal Carolina: likely 10 wins against terrible schedule, only lost to Chuck Southern.
8: Portland State: only if they beat EWU, would be 9 win team with 2 FBS wins.

6-8 could also include: Southern Utah, James Madison, Chattanooga, Chuck Southern, probably others.

As far as NDSU/SDSU goes, I think both can make an argument for the higher seed. I think the committee looks at the head to head win by 21 and tells SDSU that if they are truly better than NDSU, go beat them in Fargo with a trip to Frisco on the line (or as the 4/5 seeds in the quarters). If McNeese gets the #2, there is no longer any reason to schedule good teams for OOC games. The committee would basically be saying "schedule the worst FCS teams you can find."

A1pigskin
11-15-2015, 08:29 PM

I was thinking the same.

NDSUstudent
11-15-2015, 09:33 PM
http://i0.wp.com/bisonmedia.areavoices.com/files/2015/11/Bracketology-7-FINAL.png?resize=620%2C774

NDSUstudent
11-15-2015, 09:34 PM
Dom with another classic troll sending Montana here instead of PSU...somebody get Dom a map or show him how to use mapquest....

jeffs
11-15-2015, 10:45 PM
UND is by no means a "win and they're in." All depends on how a few games shake out.

Totally agree with this statement. Dom says und is a win & in. I think he's hoping to start a und media blog soon.

td577
11-15-2015, 11:11 PM
Has anyone done a spreadsheet with the SRS formula with the known figures? I think the point spread variable is the only unknown effect.

EC8CH
11-15-2015, 11:20 PM
Dom with another classic troll sending Montana here instead of PSU...somebody get Dom a map or show him how to use mapquest....

Dom always throws in a little nugget for us with everyone of his brackets... It's all part of the fun!

twinterfun
11-16-2015, 12:42 AM
The UND/UNI thing makes sense from a second round perspective. The winner can bus to Sioux Falls. Saves the NCAA some $$$. Reading their championship format stuff, it makes sense and if the both win, its highly likely to play out.

unbison
11-16-2015, 01:19 AM
I would think this would be a very good bracket for us. Doubt McNeese would make it to the semi's, so we'd still be at home the whole way, and no MVFC teams on our side.

Who would beat them in their half of the bracket

NDSU1980
11-16-2015, 01:33 AM
Who would beat them in their half of the bracket
I think Coastal is very capable of taking out McNeese before we'd get a shot at them.

BraxtonT
11-16-2015, 01:52 AM
If McNeese does get the #2 seed, I'm hoping a CAA or MVFC team is in their pod of 6. I wouldn't put much stock in a team from any other conference going on the road and winning down there.

DIBISON
11-16-2015, 01:53 AM

I agree, there are just too many teams above them in the Big sky standing. One example, if EWU wins I would think that they go and UND doesn't. EWU would end up first or second in the conference and have a better conference record than UND.

56BISON73
11-16-2015, 01:55 AM
I will add the Stats, Nobowls and other brackets here when they are released...

http://i0.wp.com/bisonmedia.areavoices.com/files/2015/11/Bracketology-7-FINAL.png?resize=620%2C774

That would be a good bracket for us.

BadlandsBison
11-16-2015, 02:04 AM
That would be a good bracket for us.

That would be the kindest bracket we've ever got I think. Dom's bracket I mean. But the 2seed isn't guaranteed

ndsubison1
11-16-2015, 02:12 AM
i would love to get on the same side as mcneese and Charleston Southern

NDSUstudent
11-16-2015, 02:38 AM
Using the Nobowls bracket....Here are the teams ranked by SOS(via Massey)....

Rank(overall)
1. UNI(2)
2. ISUR(3)
3. NDSU(4)
4. SDSU(6)
5. SUU(16)
6. PSU(19)
7. Towson(23)
8. Montana(24)
9. The Citadel(25)
10. William and Mary(29)
11. Jacksonville State(36)
12. Chattanooga(38)
13. Colgate(39)
14. JMU(45)
15. Richmond(48)
16. NAU(53)
17. Fordham(60)
18. UNH(62)
19. Charleston Southern(65)
20. SHSU(69)
21. CCU(71)
22. McNeese State(81)
23. St. Francis(90)
24. Dayton(96)

Bubble:
WCU(13)
EWU(14)
Villanova(20)
EIU(26)
UND(51)
EKU(61)
UCA(70)
Bethune-Cookman(101)

missingnumber7
11-16-2015, 03:07 AM

These guys run a poll and they still can't get it straight that the MEAC winner isn't coming to play in the FCS playoffs??? And there is no way CSU and CCU get seeded...no way no why no how. Surprised they didn't seed Furman with their pretty record too.

NDSUstudent
11-16-2015, 03:15 AM
These guys run a poll and they still can't get it straight that the MEAC winner isn't coming to play in the FCS playoffs??? And there is no way CSU and CCU get seeded...no way no why no how. Surprised they didn't seed Furman with their pretty record too.

There is also no way PSU gets seeded if the lose to EWU, which is the only way EWU is getting into the field. Also NAU-SUU play a loser out since the loser will only have six DI ones.

BYZEN
11-16-2015, 04:11 AM
I realize that it is in Dom's contract with Foolum Communications to try and hype the Bad-Landers when ever it is even remotely possible. Butt...is he suggesting that the Sundogs will be able to outbid the Garage Doors for a Thanksgiving weekend game when all their online students are, as always,

off campus???http://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/empty-classroom-23719322.jpg:rofl:

ndsubison1
11-16-2015, 08:18 AM
Well Montana and UNI are locks if they win obviously.

I think UNH gets in as well. After that not sure...UND would have the inside track with the FBS win and PSU win.

If EWU and UND win, who has edge?

JMB
11-16-2015, 10:01 AM
1: Jax St: they've handled their business in a weak conference against the #49 SOS in the FCS. Lost to FBS Auburn in OT. Congrats.
2: NDSU: beat SDSU on the road by 21, good win against UNI, all 10 games so far against Sagarin top 45. 2 loses, both by 3 on the last play of the game.
3: SDSU: beat ISUr, won big against SUU, FBS win over Kansas by 3. 2 losses, to UNI and NDSU (both at home).
4: ISUr: beat UNI, and Eastern Illinois in OT. 2 losses, to Iowa and SDSU (both on the road).
5: McNeese St: Undefeated against the #78 SOS in FCS. Will only play 10 games, one win against D2 team. Best wins against Sam Houston and Central Arkansas.
7: Coastal Carolina: likely 10 wins against terrible schedule, only lost to Chuck Southern.

6-8 could also include: Southern Utah, James Madison, Chattanooga, Chuck Southern, probably others.

As far as NDSU/SDSU goes, I think both can make an argument for the higher seed. I think the committee looks at the head to head win by 21 and tells SDSU that if they are truly better than NDSU, go beat them in Fargo with a trip to Frisco on the line (or as the 4/5 seeds in the quarters). If McNeese gets the #2, there is no longer any reason to schedule good teams for OOC games. The committee would basically be saying "schedule the worst FCS teams you can find."

This year's playoff selection show should be interesting (frankly because we have two losses and no fbs win). McNeese St. is a wildcard because of no losses. SDSU has an FBS win (against a terrible team). We have 2 last minute losses. I also think ISU-R is in the discussion as well (with only one loss to an FCS team). The one thing that may help us is our history as defending champs.

unbison
11-16-2015, 10:50 AM
I find it funny everyone says sdsu's fbs win is against a terrible team.... But if anyone says that about any ndsu fbs win people's heads spin in a circle and fire comes from their mouths

CalBison97
11-16-2015, 11:24 AM
I find it funny everyone says sdsu's fbs win is against a terrible team.... But if anyone says that about any ndsu fbs win people's heads spin in a circle and fire comes from their mouths

Well, Kansas is winless at 0-10 with 9 of the 10 FBS losses by double-digits. I personally think that constitutes a 'terrible' team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unbison
11-16-2015, 11:26 AM
Didn't contest the fact they were not a good fbs team

BYZEN
11-16-2015, 12:48 PM
Well, Kansas is winless at 0-10 with 9 of the 10 FBS losses by double-digits. I personally think that constitutes a 'terrible' team.

So if Kansas and Wyoming played this year, who'd win? GO!!!

CalBison97
11-16-2015, 12:51 PM

I would actually be interested in THAT bowl game! (Sorta purple)

Bisonator98
11-16-2015, 01:01 PM

I'd go with Wyo.

Total offense: KU ranked #107 with 345.4 ypg, WY ranked #108 with 344.5.
Total defense: KU dead last #127 giving up 573.7 ypg, WY ranked #85 giving up 419.0.
KU is 0-10, WY is 1-10. Would probably be an 0-3 or 35-30 type game. Flip a coin.

scottietohottie
11-16-2015, 01:06 PM

Not the spectators.

StL Bison Fan
11-16-2015, 01:42 PM
Not the spectators.

Winner!! .

Mayville Bison
11-16-2015, 02:07 PM
Here's how I see it. Couple items I thought were interesting
Having 5 of the 8 seeds in the "non-east" makes some of the regional matchups quite difficult.
Southern Utah is such an outlier that it makes it even more difficult.
Not confident having SUU@UM and then going to PSU.
I know UND to UNI isn't a bus trip, but the winner either way is going to be a bus trip to Sioux Falls.
Fordham @ Villanova - you can have first round rematches if they played each other in non-conf right?

The Bracket
Central Arkansas @ Chattanooga vs 1. JSU

Fordham @ Villanova vs 5. W&M
UND @ UNI vs 4. SDSU

Colgate @ UNH vs 3. NDSU
Dayton @ EIU vs 6. Illinois St

Duquesne @ JMU vs 2. McNeese St

JMB
11-16-2015, 03:44 PM
Not the spectators.

Could they play the Bennie Hill music in the background during the entire game?

td577
11-16-2015, 03:50 PM
Could they play the Bennie Hill music in the background during the entire game?

That would seem weird with a game feeling like it is in slow motion.

td577
11-16-2015, 03:51 PM
Here's how I see it. Couple items I thought were interesting
Having 5 of the 8 seeds in the "non-east" makes some of the regional matchups quite difficult.
Southern Utah is such an outlier that it makes it even more difficult.
Not confident having SUU@UM and then going to PSU.
I know UND to UNI isn't a bus trip, but the winner either way is going to be a bus trip to Sioux Falls.
Fordham @ Villanova - you can have first round rematches if they played each other in non-conf right?

The Bracket
Central Arkansas @ Chattanooga vs 1. JSU

Fordham @ Villanova vs 5. W&M
UND @ UNI vs 4. SDSU

Colgate @ UNH vs 3. NDSU
Dayton @ EIU vs 6. Illinois St

Duquesne @ JMU vs 2. McNeese St

The way UND treats everyone but hockey, it is a bus trip.

Soup Can
11-16-2015, 05:37 PM
The way UND treats everyone but hockey, it is a bus trip.

UND will out bid Northern Iowa. it wont be close. where they get the money will be another story.

Mr Meaty
11-16-2015, 05:50 PM
UND will out bid Northern Iowa. it wont be close. where they get the money will be another story.

Teh Hockey team is out of town that weekend so if the football program ever wanted to try and make a statement is bid for the game. No excuses except it being Thanksgiving and all students are gone and people just do not care about UN_ football.

THEsocalledfan
11-16-2015, 05:52 PM

McFeely confirmed they are placing a big bid. Which is yet another example of UN_ wasting taxpayer money since no one will come.

southcliffbison
11-16-2015, 05:56 PM
McFeely confirmed they are placing a big bid. Which is yet another example of UN_ wasting taxpayer money since no one will come.

So, the FH's lay out big money for a game that very few of their fans will care about (poor attendance) while their football team gets it's ass handed to them.......missing anything?........sounds like a winner all around.

Bison bison
11-16-2015, 05:57 PM
They better bid big, UNI has a history of doing the same thing.

MN_Moose
11-16-2015, 06:10 PM
"but the winner either way is going to be a bus trip to Sioux Falls."
I see a couple mentions of SDSU playing in Sioux Falls. Is that correct they're giving up on Caughlin Alumni Stadium for playoffs?

THEsocalledfan
11-16-2015, 06:11 PM
I see a couple mentions of SDSU playing in Sioux Falls. Is that correct they're giving up on Caughlin Alumni Stadium for playoffs?

Yes, this is confirmed. They are immediately starting the work to have it ready for next year as Dana Dykhouse Stadium.

NDSUstudent
11-16-2015, 06:12 PM

Well they could play at Brookings but the field would be entirely frozen rutted mud...I guess it would not be much of change from the previous playing surface.

Mr Pep Band
11-16-2015, 06:21 PM
So, the FH's lay out big money for a game that very few of their fans will care about (poor attendance) while their football team gets it's ass handed to them.......missing anything?........sounds like a winner all around.

Fire Hydrants?
I agree, UNI would destroy UN_.

THEsocalledfan
11-16-2015, 06:28 PM
Fire Hydrants?

It will be like Zach Zenner up there all over again. The only thing that will stop Bailey will be the corrugated steel siding at the back of the endzones in the hilarious center.

ndsubison1
11-16-2015, 06:50 PM

This is just my opinion, but i think CSU would be seeded over CCU with the Big South autobid, head to head win, and 0 FCS losses. I think PSU and JMU would be ahead as well. Just don't see them seeding two Big South teams unless PSU and JMU both lose and CCU wins at Liberty

ndsubison1
11-16-2015, 06:54 PM

Kansas. 10char

BYZEN
11-16-2015, 07:01 PM
They better bid big, UNI has a history of doing the same thing.

^^^ This is correct. UNI has a proven history of bringing over 10,000 actual fans in the seats to the first round game. They can bid much higher than the $30,000 (IIRC) minimum. Sorry but I just don't see the Rough Riders filling the shed on the 28th.

Mr Meaty
11-16-2015, 07:01 PM
Fire Hydrants?

I might even buy a ticket for that beat down. Lord knows there will be tickets available.

td577
11-17-2015, 01:22 AM
I don't care how the bracket plays out with McNeese at #2 and the Bison are #3 as long as ISUr and SDSU are #4 and #5. That would give the best opportunity for a MVFC championship, as long as everyone takes care of business.

FFBison
11-17-2015, 01:25 AM
I might even buy a ticket for that beat down. Lord knows there will be tickets available.

I was thinking that same thing...might have to attend this game and see how the other half lives.

ndsubison1
11-17-2015, 01:41 AM
My projected bracket

Dayton at Chatty vs 1. Jacksonville State
Duquesne at Fordham vs 8. James Madison
Eastern Illinois at Northern Iowa vs. 5. Illinois State
Colgate at Richmond vs. 4. William & Mary
New Hampshire at Eastern Washington vs 3. NDSU
Southern Utah at Montana vs. 6. SDSU
Coastal Carolina at The Citadel vs. 7. Charleston Southern
Portland State at Central Arkansas vs. 2. McNeese State

StL Bison Fan
11-17-2015, 02:15 AM
I was thinking that same thing...might have to attend this game and see how the other half lives.

Me too. Except would we have to cheer for either team?

FFBison
11-17-2015, 02:42 AM
Me too. Except would we have to cheer for either team?

I just want to see if their pretzels are better than the Fargodome.

Bisonville GasMan
11-17-2015, 02:59 AM

Might be able to get more NDSU tailgaters up there than for UN_ and UNI combined.

Kevin
11-17-2015, 08:35 AM
If McNeese can get a 2 seed then we should all play ten games and schedule d2's.

I get that LSU wasn't their fault but come on.

bisoningrandforks
11-17-2015, 01:14 PM
that bracket makes sense

NDSUstudent
11-17-2015, 07:15 PM
For UND I think it is this simple...If they win and EWU loses they are in. If EWU wins things could get dicey...very dicey if the Griz also win.

bisonaudit
11-17-2015, 07:39 PM
For UND I think it is this simple...If they win and EWU loses they are in. If EWU wins things could get dicey...very dicey if the Griz also win.

I'd laugh if Bethune-Cookman got in and they didn't.

Then I'd rant about how awful the committee is and what a travesty it is that terrible teams from terrible conference that play terrible schedules get rewarded with at-large playoff births simply for getting to a number in the "W" column.

Then I'd laugh some more.

Bison03
11-17-2015, 07:41 PM

It would be funny if UND won and still didn't make the playoffs.

NDSUstudent
11-17-2015, 07:50 PM
I'd laugh if Bethune-Cookman got in and they didn't.

Then I'd rant about how awful the committee is and what a travesty it is that terrible teams from terrible conference that play terrible schedules get rewarded with at-large playoff births simply for getting to a number in the "W" column.

Then I'd laugh some more.

The meltdown at SS.com and on twitter would be priceless. A team with BCU's SOS getting in over them would send them over the edge.

That said, I would be right there ranting with you about BCU. I think Dayton has a tougher SOS.

missingnumber7
11-17-2015, 07:54 PM

Remember that one time when we lost to Missouri St and still made the playoffs

Mr Pep Band
11-17-2015, 07:56 PM
Remember that one time when we lost to Missouri St and still made the playoffs

Two words: SOS and FBS win

NDSUstudent
11-17-2015, 08:00 PM
UND-CP is the late game, should know just where UND stands as well before it starts. That will be a fun game to follow.

NDSU1980
11-17-2015, 08:25 PM
Be funny if UN_ doesn't get in because they insisted on playing us and got beat. They probably could have found another D1 cupcake like Drake. This should teach those idiots to be careful what they wish for, they just absolutely absolutely had to play us.

Bison03
11-17-2015, 08:45 PM
Be funny if UN_ doesn't get in because they insisted on playing us and got beat. They probably could have found another D1 cupcake like Drake. This should teach those idiots to be careful what they wish for, they just absolutely absolutely had to play us.
Playing us did dramatically increase their strength of schedule.

bisonaudit
11-17-2015, 09:12 PM
Playing us did dramatically increase their strength of schedule.

True. But they lost by 25. Which is more or less what was supposed to happen.

Let's use Hammersmith's scheme for looking at their schedule through Sagarin's lens.

The "good loss" to NDSU is only their 5th best result, relative to expectations. Their "good wins" against N Colorado, Portland St, Wyoming, and Montana St are all more consequential than the loss they took in the FFD.

Then there are the "bad loss" at home to Idaho State, the "bad win" over Drake and the "bad loss" to Montana.

CalBison97
11-18-2015, 01:36 AM

This x infinity!

td577
11-18-2015, 02:12 AM
I actually didn't realize using the latest GPI and crossing out all the Ivy league schools and schools with no chance at 6 wins even or probably won't get in even if they hit 6, like USD, WSU, or YSU that un_ is as close to the bubble as they are at 42. It will be interesting how big a hit programs in traditionally weak conferences will take even though they are ranked ahead of un_. The OVC might end up with 3 schools with 7 wins and all are above un_. The CAA with 5 teams still in the running all higher. If SHSU beats Central Arkansas, you have to think they are both in. Eventually there just enough room.

There are a lot of dominoes that have to fall for un_ to get in with just one being a win by them. It will require a weekend like a couple of weeks ago being even more destructive. If the final SRS is anywhere near the GPI, then un_ will be out because the selection committee held to the SRS almost down the line last season.

Bisonwinagn
11-18-2015, 04:25 AM

Exactly! It's not good strategy to play top teams when it comes to playoff's. 8 wins for them would be a lock even if it was over Valpo, but a loss to NDSU could eliminate them.

Professor Chaos
11-18-2015, 04:39 AM
I actually didn't realize using the latest GPI and crossing out all the Ivy league schools and schools with no chance at 6 wins even or probably won't get in even if they hit 6, like USD, WSU, or YSU that un_ is as close to the bubble as they are at 42. It will be interesting how big a hit programs in traditionally weak conferences will take even though they are ranked ahead of un_. The OVC might end up with 3 schools with 7 wins and all are above un_. The CAA with 5 teams still in the running all higher. If SHSU beats Central Arkansas, you have to think they are both in. Eventually there just enough room.

There are a lot of dominoes that have to fall for un_ to get in with just one being a win by them. It will require a weekend like a couple of weeks ago being even more destructive. If the final SRS is anywhere near the GPI, then un_ will be out because the selection committee held to the SRS almost down the line last season.
No they didn't. UNH was 6th in the SRS yet was the 1 seed. CCU was 3rd in the SRS yet was the 7 seed. Idaho St was left out even though they were higher in the SRS than at least 6 at large teams. SFA got an at large with an SRS behind a bunch of teams that were left out. I think the selection committee realized the SRS was garbage (pretty sure it had EIU in front of NDSU going into the 2013 postseason) and put very little stock into it last year. Maybe they tweaked the formula so it'll be better this year but they refuse to release it until after the selection process is over so who knows.

Last year's final SRS is still up on the NCAA site here (http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/simple-ratings-system) if you want to take a look at how bad it was.

td577
11-18-2015, 04:46 AM
No they didn't. UNH was 6th in the SRS yet was the 1 seed. CCU was 3rd in the SRS yet was the 7 seed. Idaho St was left out even though they were higher in the SRS than at least 6 at large teams. SFA got an at large with an SRS behind multiple teams that were left out. I think the selection committee realized the SRS was garbage (pretty sure it had EIU in front of NDSU going into the 2013 postseason) and put very little stick into it last year. Maybe they tweaked the formula so it'll be better this year but they refuse to release it until after the selection process is over so who knows.

Last year's final SRS is still up on the NCAA site here (http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/simple-ratings-system) if you want to take a look at how bad it was.
Other than the seeding, 22 of the top 24 minus the ivys and less than 6 win teams fell in line. Montana st and sfa got in and idaho state and Bethune-Cookman left out. It doesn't get much more in line than that unless you swap those four teams out. The top 8 were the top 8, just the committee placed them in a different order. So please tell me again how far off I am. When a selection walks down a line for 22/24 they have followed a system pretty closely. That doesn't bode well for un_.

Until this year, you could figure the srs out because their formula is listed in the rule book. So you didn't have to wait if you didn't want to and they don't cook the numbers because they were right there. This year we just don't know the weight if a couple of variables.

Professor Chaos
11-18-2015, 05:01 AM
Other than the seeding, 22 of the top 24 minus the ivys and less than 6 win teams fell in line. Montana st and sfa got in and idaho state and Bethune-Cookman left out. It doesn't get much more in line than that unless you swap those four teams out. The top 8 were the top 8, just the committee placed them in a different order. So please tell me again how far off I am. When a selection walks down a line for 22/24 they have followed a system pretty closely. That doesn't bode well for un_.

Until this year, you could figure the srs out because their formula is listed in the rule book. So you didn't have to wait if you didn't want to and they don't cook the numbers because they were right there. This year we just don't know the weight if a couple of variables.
Bryant and Bucknell were also in that group of teams with 7+ D1 wins that were ahead of SFA (Bryant was even in front of Montana St) but left out. BCU also wasn't given an at large even though they were higher than SFA, Montana St, and Richmond. The SRS is pure garbage, no other way to say it. They even had 2 Pioneer League teams in the top 31. The committee proved last year that it is, at best, just a part of what they look at.

td577
11-18-2015, 05:34 AM
Bryant and Bucknell were also in that group of teams with 7+ D1 wins that were ahead of SFA (Bryant was even in front of Montana St) but left out. BCU also wasn't given an at large even though they were higher than SFA, Montana St, and Richmond. The SRS is pure garbage, no other way to say it. They even had 2 Pioneer League teams in the top 31. The committee proved last year that it is, at best, just a part of what they look at.

I don't disagree it is garbage but it is obvious they have been using it and when 22/24 fall in line, it is more than a minor tool.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

bisonaudit
11-18-2015, 10:56 AM

You can't figure out the SRS, even the old one, without a healthy amount of computing power. The rules are there, sure, but you need to balance a huge matrix of equations because every teams SOS is the average of all their opponents SRS.

BisoninNWMN
11-18-2015, 11:12 AM

The formula might get it right with 22/24 but when you have the "human" element putting the #6 team over the #1 team, that is what is worrisome.

bisoningrandforks
11-18-2015, 12:31 PM
is the selection show on sunday morning again espnU ?

Mr Meaty
11-18-2015, 12:57 PM
is the selection show on sunday morning again espnU ?

On at 10:00 but I cannot remember which espn channel. I have my dvr set but did not pay attention to which channel.

lascrs
11-18-2015, 03:12 PM
On at 10:00 but I cannot remember which espn channel. I have my dvr set but did not pay attention to which channel.

ESPN U Channel 208 DirecTV

NDSUstudent
11-18-2015, 03:34 PM
New Bracket From Izzo....

http://i0.wp.com/bisonmedia.areavoices.com/files/2015/11/2015-Bracketology-7.1.png?resize=620%2C774

Bisonator98
11-18-2015, 04:09 PM
Thank god we don't have to listen to that blowhard Jay Walker about how great the MEAC is this year!

stevdock
11-18-2015, 04:50 PM
I wish they'd seed the whole dang tournament. With Izzo's bracket above he is saying Fordham is more or less the 9 seed. They didn't even win their conference. And are also saying Dayton is the 20 seed, who in my opinion is the worst team in the tourney. Regionalization is AWFUL.

Bisonator98
11-18-2015, 05:43 PM
I wish they'd seed the whole dang tournament. With Izzo's bracket above he is saying Fordham is more or less the 9 seed. They didn't even win their conference. And are also saying Dayton is the 20 seed, who in my opinion is the worst team in the tourney. Regionalization is AWFUL.

Agreed but it'll never happen because they wouldn't be able to utilize rationalization and save money.

Strategery
11-18-2015, 05:44 PM

Actually the 9 seed plays the 8 so really he's saying Southern Utah is the 9 which makes Montana 24. Fordham/Duquesne would be a 16/17 matchup. You're more or less right about Dayton. They would be the 21 and E. Illinois the 12 (which is probably too high for them).

missingnumber7
11-18-2015, 05:46 PM

I don't think you can include USD in one of the ones you can cross out if they get 6. That would include wins over NDSU and ISUR. If they are going to take a 6 win team....probably one of the ones with a better chance. That being said....no 6 win team is going to make it.

TransAmBison
11-18-2015, 06:06 PM
I just want UNI on the other side...

NDSUstudent
11-18-2015, 06:18 PM
GPI Bracket(removing Ivy League and teams that can't reach 7 DI wins). I know it isn't realistic no regionalization but interesting to look at I guess...

Montana at The Citadel vs 1. NDSU
Duquesne at CCU vs 8. PSU

Towson at SUU vs 4. SDSU
EIU at Chattanooga vs 5. William and Mary

Nova at SHSU vs 2. JSU
Colgate at JMU vs 7. UNI

NAU at Fordham vs 3. ISUR
Dayton at Charleston Southern vs 6. McNeese St

ndsubison1
11-18-2015, 06:21 PM

Still don't understand how he has CCU seeded

ndsubison1
11-18-2015, 06:23 PM

Wouldn't the 9 seed play possibly the 8 seed if that were the case?

bisonaudit
11-18-2015, 06:25 PM
Wouldn't the 9 seed play possibly the 8 seed if that were the case?

Yes, Fordham/Duquesne is in the 16/17 slot.

ZHerd
11-18-2015, 06:25 PM
I just want UNI on the other side...

I know what your saying yet if there are teams that can beat us lets get them out of the way in the Fargodome. Imo with the way the season is closing out UNI is the best team in all FCS going into the playoffs

UncleBuck
11-18-2015, 06:36 PM

I want some fresh BLOOD in the Fargodome, this bracket has NDSU against a familiar cast of character - New Hampshire, Coastal, South Dakota State, then Illinois State again.

NDSUstudent
11-18-2015, 06:38 PM
Still don't understand how he has CCU seeded

I have a bigger issue with CCU at #7...If PSU wins they should be a slam dunk over them.

CCU could get seeded...CSU plays in a dump of a stadium and I could see the committee seeding them due to their playoff pedigree. The committee unfortunately doesn't always make rational seeding choices...like UNH at #1 last year.

TransAmBison
11-18-2015, 07:02 PM
I know what your saying yet if there are teams that can beat us lets get them out of the way in the Fargodome. Imo with the way the season is closing out UNI is the best team in all FCS going into the playoffsI do not think they are that good...but they match up well against us...and the crowd noise would have little to no affect on them. They will get beat I have no doubt...but they could give us the hardest game.

BadlandsBison
11-18-2015, 07:11 PM
That would stink if SDSU lost this weekend and we play them in the second round again

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

ndsubison1
11-18-2015, 07:35 PM
I have a bigger issue with CCU at #7...If PSU wins they should be a slam dunk over them.

CCU could get seeded...CSU plays in a dump of a stadium and I could see the committee seeding them due to their playoff pedigree. The committee unfortunately doesn't always make rational seeding choices...like UNH at #1 last year.

I think Psu and Jmu should be above Ccu seedings wise

ZHerd
11-18-2015, 07:55 PM
I do not think they are that good...but they match up well against us...and the crowd noise would have little to no affect on them. They will get beat I have no doubt...but they could give us the hardest game.

Hopefully they will perform their routine playoff fizzle

td577
11-18-2015, 08:29 PM
I do not think they are that good...but they match up well against us...and the crowd noise would have little to no affect on them. They will get beat I have no doubt...but they could give us the hardest game.

I agree. They aren't that good but they are the only program who spends every waking hour with the goal of beating one other program. They recruit to beat one program. They built a game plan against one program. While playoff Bison football goes to a different level, uni still creates matchup problems with just their tunnel vision.

NDSUstudent
11-18-2015, 08:31 PM
UNI is the team I most don't want to play. Their defense is very physical, Stick would take a beating against them. I think it would be a low scoring game like they had against SDSU in Brookings.

If we play UNI I would rather it be later when Wentz could comeback.

THEsocalledfan
11-18-2015, 09:07 PM
UNI is the team I most don't want to play. Their defense is very physical, Stick would take a beating against them. I think it would be a low scoring game like they had against SDSU in Brookings.

Or we get smoked by two scores if we play our typical read option D.....

Bisonator98
11-18-2015, 11:54 PM

It's UNI they shit the bed this time of year. Wouldn't be shocked if they lose to SIU Saturday.

FFBison
11-19-2015, 02:33 AM
It's UNI they shit the bed this time of year. Wouldn't be shocked if they lose to SIU Saturday.

That would be nice if SIU would knock them off. As much as I want the MVFC to succeed in the playoffs, I'm greedy wanting NDSU to avoid any MVFC matchups until the championship game. Those are the teams that are familiar with us and pose the biggest challenge. Like someone said...bring in some new blood.

NDSUSR
11-19-2015, 02:46 AM
North Dakota (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?s=279541&t=5538)@
Cal Poly SLO (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?s=279541&t=1032)
# 44 (6-4)
# 34 (4-6)
22 %
78 %

Massey taking Cal Poly hrmmmmmm...

NDSUstudent
11-19-2015, 03:49 AM
North Dakota (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?s=279541&t=5538)@
Cal Poly SLO (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?s=279541&t=1032)
# 44 (6-4)
# 34 (4-6)
22 %
78 %

Massey taking Cal Poly hrmmmmmm...

CP is an odd team, they can pile up the points but their defense is SIU esque. That said I will laugh if Bubba is knocked out of the playoffs by an option team.

Mr Pep Band
11-19-2015, 02:53 PM
CP is an odd team, they can pile up the points but their defense is SIU esque. That said I will laugh if Bubba is knocked out of the playoffs by an option team.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

To bad they don't run The Veer out there. :evil:

ByeSonBusiness
11-19-2015, 02:54 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

To bad they don't run The Veer out there. :evil:

I believe they do run the veer.

Bisonator98
11-19-2015, 03:48 PM
I believe they do run the veer.

Nope more of a hybrid spread TO. Very similar to Georgia Southern.

ByeSonBusiness
11-19-2015, 04:09 PM

Right on. In that case, it's a perversion of nature and must be destroyed. No veer, no peace.

Strategery
11-19-2015, 04:12 PM
Just want to point out that we have not one, but two active threads discussing the F'Hawks chances of getting into the playoffs...

Bisonville GasMan
11-19-2015, 05:24 PM

Right on. In that case, it's a perversion of nature and must be destroyed. No veer, no peace.

I kinda liked Georgia Southerns Offense...Of course when I was a kid all I knew was from watching NDSU's veer...so I have a soft spot for that type of scheme.

ndsubison1
11-20-2015, 06:55 AM
Looking at past seedings, it appears the committee has punished teams that scheduled less games. However, not McNeese's fault the LSU game was cancelled. In regards to seeding, Hampton was undefeated in 05 playing in the weak MEAC and still seeded 3rd.

DM05
11-20-2015, 02:33 PM
NDSU vs SDSU vs ISUr arguments for seeding (assuming all win on Saturday)
-all top 10 FCS strength of schedule (MVFC is the entire top 10)
-all top 4 in GPI and Sagarin ratings
-all top 6 in Massey ratings and Coaches and STATS polls
-all would end up with 9 Division 1 wins

Head-to-head
NDSU: beat SDSU in Brookings by 21, up by 21 at half, never trailed
SDSU: beat ISUr in Brookings by 5, close most of the game, ISU scored late, SDSU recovered onside kick

League standings
NDSU: 1 loss, Co-champs
SDSU: 2 losses, 3rd place
ISUr: 1 loss, Co-champs

Out of conference schedule
NDSU: 2-1
-lost by 3 on the road to Montana (possible playoff team) on a touchdown on 4th down with 2 seconds left, trailed for only 4:02 all game
-beat Weber State (5-5, best win: Montana) by 27
-beat UND (possible playoff team) by 25

SDSU: 3-0
-beat Kansas (FBS, 0-10, Sagarin equivalent of USD) on the road by 3 (Kansas football roster only has around 60 scholarship players)
-beat Southern Utah (possible playoff team, possible Big Sky champ) by 45
-beat Robert Morris (3-7, best win: Wagner) by 24

ISUr: 2-1
-lost to Iowa (FBS, 10-0) on the road by 17
-beat Eastern Illinois (possible playoff team) on the road by 3
-beat Morgan State (4-5, best win: Howard) by 53

Other notable conference games against common opponents
NDSU
-beat UNI by 3 on late touchdown, close the whole way
-beat WIU by 52
-beat YSU by 3 on late touchdown, trailed almost entire game
-lost to USD at home on last second FG, did not trail in the game until 0:00 of the 4th quarter
-beat ISUb on the road by 14

SDSU
-lost to UNI at home by 3, close the whole way
-WIU: ???
-beat YSU by 30 on the road
-beat USD by 7 on the road, trailed 20-10 going into the 4th, scored 20 in the 4th including a pick 6
-beat ISUb by 17

ISUr
-beat UNI by 8 at home
-beat WIU by 20
-beat YSU by 2 on the road
-USD: ???
-beat ISUb by 3

DM05
11-20-2015, 02:46 PM
Based on the resume's above, all three will be seeded and should be at worst top 6 seeds, unless an outright conference championship from the CAA or Big Sky somehow means a ton to the committee.

Head-to-head should carry a lot of weight, as will wins against other playoff teams. Montana, Southern Utah, UNI, and the Chicken Hawks winning this week and getting into the playoffs or losing and being out may be a big factor.

I think all three teams are so close that it will come down to the head-to-head results to sort out the seeds.

2. NDSU
3. SDSU
4/5. ISUr and McNeese

Sets up a potential semifinal in Fargo, with the committee telling SDSU "they beat you in Brookings: if you are better, go prove it in the dome." If the bunnies get past UNI in the second round and probably Bill and Mary in the quarters...

cbline
11-20-2015, 03:52 PM
Will be interesting to see the effects of Coastal Carolina's loss to Liberty. A late season loss to a mid-average conference foe looks bad.

Bison bison
11-20-2015, 04:19 PM
My thoughts.

Left side of bracket
JSU -1
SDSU/ISU 4/5
UNI

Right side of bracket
NDSU/McNeese 2/3

Really don't care if we are 2 or 3. Get those four teams on the other side of the bracket. Not sure McNeese will still be standing in the Semis.

cbline
11-20-2015, 04:25 PM
My thoughts.

Left side of bracket
JSU -1
SDSU/ISU 4/5
UNI

Right side of bracket
NDSU/McNeese 2/3

Really don't care if we are 2 or 3. Get those four teams on the other side of the bracket. Not sure McNeese will still be standing in the Semis.

Hard for me to believe that NDSU will be the lone MVFC team on one side of the bracket, but I'll certainly take it!!!

Mayville Bison
11-20-2015, 04:34 PM
Hard for me to believe that NDSU will be the lone MVFC team on one side of the bracket, but I'll certainly take it!!!

I agree with this. My thoughts are they will be 3, 4 or 5, and 6 and UNI will be sent to the 4 or 5 seed. This prevents an all MVFC semi game on both sides and a definite challenge for any MVFC team to make it to the championship game. My top 8 is
1-JSU
2-McNeese
3-NDSU
4-SDSU
5-W&M
6-ISU
7-Portland St
8-Chuck South

I could see JMU jumping up if one of those were to stub their toes this weekend or possibly jumping CSU regardless.

BisonNation11
11-20-2015, 04:38 PM

With SDSU and ISUR being seeded, the committee will look for bus trips. They can easily put UNI on a bus to either of those two schools only to face another MVFC member in the quarters, again on a bus if UNI wins. Plus, it knocks out to MVFC teams in back to back weekends. NDSU is the outlier geography wise and a money maker. They will want us in as long as possible.

NDSUstudent
11-20-2015, 04:43 PM
Jeremy Jorgenson talking FCS playoffs on 740 the fan...

http://740thefan.com/upload/JeremyJorgenson11182015.mp3

TateMosersneighbor
11-20-2015, 05:18 PM
I see the committee giving us the #3 seed.

This team reminds me of the 2000 team for some reason. Freshman QB, injuries, good enough to win it but will they, adversity...just have a feeling they'll be tested a bit more with the #3 seed and having to head somewhere to win a game to make it to Frisco.

I think in the end it'll be tough to ignore our 2 losses. Hope I'm wrong.

Professor Chaos
11-20-2015, 05:30 PM
If NDSU is the 3 and McNeese is the 2 then NDSU will be playing in the Fargodome until Frisco as long as they keep winning. McNeese is a paper tiger who won't survive until the semis.

ByeSonBusiness
11-20-2015, 05:43 PM
With SDSU and ISUR being seeded, the committee will look for bus trips. They can easily put UNI on a bus to either of those two schools only to face another MVFC member in the quarters, again on a bus if UNI wins. Plus, it knocks out to MVFC teams in back to back weekends. NDSU is the outlier geography wise and a money maker. They will want us in as long as possible.

It is sad that they may choose to do that. But it is what it is.

Bisonville GasMan
11-20-2015, 05:47 PM
If NDSU is the 3 and McNeese is the 2 then NDSU will be playing in the Fargodome until Frisco as long as they keep winning. McNeese is a paper tiger who won't survive until the semis.

This question will show my ignorance with how the playoffs work, but if ndsu is the #3 seed and mcneese is the #2, if both actually make if to the semifinals, is the game automatically at mcneese or can ndsu outbid them monetarily and the game be played here???

Bison bison
11-20-2015, 05:48 PM
Higher seed hosts as long as they make the minimum bid.

DM05
11-20-2015, 05:50 PM
For McNeese to get the #2, the committee has to completely disregard GPI, SRS, Sagarin, Massey, SOS, and quality wins. McNeese played a division 2 team, so they will have the same number of D1 wins as NDSU/SDSU/ISUr playing a much, much weaker schedule. Giving McNeese the #2 would set a dangerous precedent and tell the entire FCS to schedule terrible OOC teams because SOS doesn't matter.

If they would move NDSU ahead of them, they almost have to move SDSU and ISUr (with very similar resume's) ahead of them as well. Probably won't want to explain why an undefeated team drops to the 5 seed, so the committee may just take the easy way out. I still think NDSU gets the #2.

tolnabison
11-20-2015, 05:50 PM

This team reminds me of the 2000 team for some reason. Freshman QB, injuries, good enough to win it but will they, adversity...just have a feeling they'll be tested a bit more with the #3 seed and having to head somewhere to win a game to make it to Frisco.

Jorgenson seems to think we are a lock at the 2 seed with a win tomorrow. His interview made him sound pretty confident.

NDSUstudent
11-20-2015, 05:52 PM
I do think NDSU or McNeese will be 2 or 3(still think the Bison are the favorite for #2)....setting up an MVFC pod of #4 SDSU and #5 ISUR.

missingnumber7
11-20-2015, 05:52 PM

As long as wherever they get sent has a turf field should matter right?

tolnabison
11-20-2015, 05:53 PM
I do think NDSU or McNeese will be 2 or 3....setting up an MVFC pod of #4 SDSU and #5 ISUR.

As an NDSU fan you couldn't ask for a better situation. That leads to sticking UNI going to one of SDSU and ISUr in the second round.

NDSUstudent
11-20-2015, 05:59 PM
McNeese fans already getting salty about some of our comments about them....

http://www.geauxcowboys.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1961

NDSUstudent
11-20-2015, 06:00 PM
As an NDSU fan you couldn't ask for a better situation. That leads to sticking UNI going to one of SDSU and ISUr in the second round.

Yeah UNI is one team I don't want to play, nothing better then having them all in a pod beating each other up.

Snowgoose
11-20-2015, 06:02 PM
As long as wherever they get sent has a turf field should matter right?

What kitten litter doesn't count? Seemed to be an approved surface in 2000.

Professor Chaos
11-20-2015, 06:16 PM
This question will show my ignorance with how the playoffs work, but if ndsu is the #3 seed and mcneese is the #2, if both actually make if to the semifinals, is the game automatically at mcneese or can ndsu outbid them monetarily and the game be played here???

McNeese would get the home game automatically as long as they made the minimum bid (which I'm sure they would).

Well, if I'm wrong about them so be it but history is on my side. They've lost their last 5 playoff games (going back to 2002) by an aggregate score of 190 to 47 (or 38 to 10 on average). They were seeded 3 of those times and unseeded but at home in another one.

Mr Pep Band
11-20-2015, 06:22 PM

They must be that type of fan base that likes the subjective data and not the objective data. We don't NEEDto say anything about how good we are.
The results, and then the computer ratings(GPI, SRS, Sagarin, Massey) tell us that we ARE the best.

Computers don't lie. "It doesn't get happy, it doesn't get sad, it just runs programs" -Short Circuit

(they don't get euphoric, they don't get depressed, they just win games):biggrin:

Mr Pep Band
11-20-2015, 06:23 PM
Duplicate, ignore

ByeSonBusiness
11-20-2015, 06:31 PM
They must be that type of fan base that likes the subjective data and not the objective data. We don't NEEDto say anything about how good we are.
The results, and then the computer ratings(GPI, SRS, Sagarin, Massey) tell us that we ARE the best.

Computers don't lie. "It doesn't get happy, it doesn't get sad, it just runs programs" -Short Circuit

(they don't get euphoric, they don't get depressed, they just win games):biggrin:

I guess they better not play the playoff games then. Better just ship the trophy up here.

bisonaudit
11-20-2015, 06:38 PM
I guess they better not play the playoff games then. Better just ship the trophy up here.

The objective evidence suggesting which teams are the best is one thing. Understanding that the best teams don't always, or even typically, win a single elimination tournament is another.

NorthernBison
11-20-2015, 06:39 PM

I can't really blame them. We are the same when we think somebody isn't giving respect. I'll always appreciate how the Southland stepped up and scheduled us during and after the transition. That said, I feel pretty confident that McNeese would NOT be unbeaten with our schedule and we would be unbeaten with their schedule (obviously without the LSU game). It would be fun the see these two teams settle it on the field (Either home field).

Mr Pep Band
11-20-2015, 06:52 PM
The objective evidence suggesting which teams are the best is one thing. Understanding that the best teams don't always, or even typically, win a single elimination tournament is another.

Yea.... I forgot about that, Any Given Saturday I guess.

That said, the ratings simply show that the higher a team is ranked, the better odds they have at winning, correct?

Schwarz04
11-20-2015, 06:54 PM

How could you not get salty, I mean with convincing wins over powerhouse teams like 2-6 Abilene Christian...A 15-13 win over them is pretty impressive.

bisonaudit
11-20-2015, 06:55 PM
Yea.... I forgot about that, Any Given Saturday I guess.

That said, the ratings simply show that the higher a team is ranked, the better odds they have at winning, correct?

To the extent that the ratings are attempting to predict the true talent of the teams, yes.

Gully
11-20-2015, 07:00 PM
To the extent that the ratings are attempting to predict the true talent of the teams, yes.

Thank you Senator Audit :)

bisonaudit
11-20-2015, 07:04 PM
Thank you Senator Audit :)

I felt like I had to put it that way because you have things like the NCAA SRS which have objective criteria, but it seems pretty clear to me those criteria were selected, at least in part, to reward certain behaviors and punish others rather than to identify a team's true talent.

ndsubison1
11-22-2015, 12:48 AM
Hello Sdsu. Ewu lost. I predict Und-Sdsu if the Hawks win

NDSUstudent
11-22-2015, 12:57 AM
Hello Sdsu. Ewu lost. I predict Und-Sdsu if the Hawks win

I will predict SDSU-Montana if the Hawks choke.

Kevin
11-22-2015, 12:58 AM
How could you not get salty, I mean with convincing wins over powerhouse teams like 2-6 Abilene Christian...A 15-13 win over them is pretty impressive.

Is there a fan forum that Lakesbison doesn't shitpost on?

td577
11-22-2015, 01:01 AM
I think the seeds will be 1. Jax State, 2. NDSU, 3. McNeese, 4. ISUr., 5. Chattanooga, 6. Charleston Southern, 7. SHSU, and 8. Portland State. There were so many teams that went in the wrong direction and it is tough to figure out how the committee will treat the blowout losses to FBS schools some of the schools took. I also wonder if the Citadel knocked the MEAC out of any chance of a at-large or a fourth big fluffy school.

Bisonator98
11-22-2015, 01:04 AM
I would assume SDSU put in a minimum bid since they assumed they'd be a seed but with the loss they will probably be on the road. Probably be at Montana again. Winner to Fargo in 2 weeks?

Kevin
11-22-2015, 01:06 AM
I would assume SDSU put in a minimum bid since they assumed they'd be a seed but with the loss they will probably be on the road. Probably be at Montana again. Winner to Fargo in 2 weeks?

I'd much rather see the bunnies again than Montana but beating the Griz in the Fargodome would be great.

kab1one
11-22-2015, 01:06 AM
Is there a fan forum that Lakesbison doesn't shitpost on?

What did he say wrong on mcneese board? He was quite factual and gave An opinion why he thinks NDSU should be one seed. With realization they won't be. Parent hood has helped him greatly

Bisonator98
11-22-2015, 01:07 AM
I think the seeds will be 1. Jax State, 2. NDSU, 3. McNeese, 4. ISUr., 5. Chattanooga, 6. Charleston Southern, 7. SHSU, and 8. Portland State. There were so many teams that went in the wrong direction and it is tough to figure out how the committee will treat the blowout losses to FBS schools some of the schools took.

I think Mcneese gets the #2 seed. NDSU will probably be #3. The committee seems to reward at least one shiny record every year no matter the SOS.

NDSUstudent
11-22-2015, 01:08 AM

I think SDSU-Montana would go to PSU.

bisonboone11
11-22-2015, 01:09 AM
I think the seeds will be 1. Jax State, 2. NDSU, 3. McNeese, 4. ISUr., 5. Chattanooga, 6. Charleston Southern, 7. SHSU, and 8. Portland State. There were so many teams that went in the wrong direction and it is tough to figure out how the committee will treat the blowout losses to FBS schools some of the schools took. I also wonder if the Citadel knocked the MEAC out of any chance of a at-large or a fourth big fluffy school.
If we are #2, would it be better for us to face ISUr at home rather than Frisco (assuming both teams get that far)? I know it probably isn't as big of an advantage against conference teams, but it has been a few years since they have played in Fargo, and Roberson never has.

td577
11-22-2015, 01:10 AM
I think Mcneese gets the #2 seed. NDSU will probably be #3. The committee seems to reward at least one shiny record every year no matter the SOS.

I know some would be bothered, but I wouldn't. As long as NDSU is the #3 seed in that scenario. I don't see McNeese making it to the semis. However it shakes out, NDSU's toughest game will be in the quarters because it will be a shit hot team of some sort. It seems to fall that way.

td577
11-22-2015, 01:12 AM
If we are #2, would it be better for us to face ISUr at home rather than Frisco (assuming both teams get that far)? I know it probably isn't as big of an advantage against conference teams, but it has been a few years since they have played in Fargo, and Roberson never has.

If we are #2 or #3 and ISUr is #4, we wouldn't see them until Frisco, if both are still in. Then we can take their allotment again.

Bisonwinagn
11-22-2015, 01:13 AM
I know some would be bothered, but I wouldn't. As long as NDSU is the #3 seed in that scenario. I don't see McNeese making it to the semis. However it shakes out, NDSU's toughest game will be in the quarters because it will be a shit hot team of some sort. It seems to fall that way.

Not necessarily. The could get Montana UNI or SDSU in the first game which would be harder than any ranked 6,7, or 8 team.

bisonboone11
11-22-2015, 01:14 AM
If we are #2 or #3 and ISUr is #4, we wouldn't see them until Frisco, if both are still in. Then we can take their allotment again.
Yeah, I meant I think I would prefer both of us jump ahead of McNeese, and face ISUr at home, even though I'm sure McNeese State won't be below #3.

stevdock
11-22-2015, 01:15 AM
For McNeese to get the #2, the committee has to completely disregard GPI, SRS, Sagarin, Massey, SOS, and quality wins. McNeese played a division 2 team, so they will have the same number of D1 wins as NDSU/SDSU/ISUr playing a much, much weaker schedule. Giving McNeese the #2 would set a dangerous precedent and tell the entire FCS to schedule terrible OOC teams because SOS doesn't matter.

If they would move NDSU ahead of them, they almost have to move SDSU and ISUr (with very similar resume's) ahead of them as well. Probably won't want to explain why an undefeated team drops to the 5 seed, so the committee may just take the easy way out. I still think NDSU gets the #2.

I don't think SOS matters the way it is for making the playoffs. You only have to get to 7 and you are basically in if you are in a big conference right now. Take UND for example: I believe they have 1 win against a playoff team. Look at Western Illinois who I get is 6-5, but have wins against both UNI and SDSU. Look as USD IF they would have beat Ill. St today, they would have been 6-5 with wins against 2 at the time Top 5 teams. Who makes the playoffs between those 3 teams? UND every time.

For that same reason I could see us being anywhere between a 2 and a 4. Totally depends on what they want to look at.

X-Factor
11-22-2015, 01:16 AM
On crack if you think SHSU is getting a seed. ;) They will be lucky to sneak in.

NDSUstudent
11-22-2015, 01:18 AM
So this is what we have...All the autobids are locked in....SUU, CSU, Richmond, NDSU, Duquesne, JSU, Colgate, Dayton, Chattanooga and McNeese State

At large breakdown...

Locks(10)
PSU
The Citadel
CCU
Fordham
SDSU
ISUR
William and Mary
Montana
UNI
JMU

Should be in(4)
EIU
SHSU(with a win)
UNH
UND(with a win)

Bubble burst...Towson

X-Factor
11-22-2015, 01:19 AM
Alright. Let's do this. How do I watch the fighting green hens? ESPN3?

Kevin
11-22-2015, 01:19 AM
Be warned, X-Factor. The cameraman makes KVLY's look like the greatest of all time: http://eversport.tv/big-sky/football/2015/11/22/north-dakota-at-cal-poly

NDSUstudent
11-22-2015, 01:21 AM
Alright. Let's do this. How do I watch the fighting green hens? ESPN3?

eversport.tv/big-sky

X-Factor
11-22-2015, 01:28 AM
More funnies....McNeese announcers continue to pound the table how strong the Southland is. Clearly deserving 3 playoff bids!

X-Factor
11-22-2015, 01:30 AM
Be warned, X-Factor. The cameraman makes KVLY's look like the greatest of all time: http://eversport.tv/big-sky/football/2015/11/22/north-dakota-at-cal-poly
Appreciate it (and NDSUstudent).

aces1180
11-22-2015, 01:33 AM

I had to turn it off...Hard to watch. However, the feed is just a webcast plus radio, so its to be expected.

DCinOK
11-22-2015, 01:35 AM
14-0 Fighting Hawkizoids.

Kevin
11-22-2015, 01:35 AM
Fighting Cawks up by two touchdowns on Cal Poly. Poly blew 4 chances from the 2 yard line and UN_ went 99 yards.

ndsubison1
11-22-2015, 01:36 AM

1. Jsu 2. Msu 3. Ndsu 4. Psu 5. Isu 6. Csu 7. Jmu 8. Suu

Kevin
11-22-2015, 01:40 AM
Turnover and a quick strike for the Cawks. 21-0 shorty.

Bisonator98
11-22-2015, 01:41 AM
Fighting Cawks up by two touchdowns on Cal Poly. Poly blew 4 chances from the 2 yard line and UN_ went 99 yards.

Looks like CP has already mailed it in, 2 fumbles, no defense, it's already 21-0 F'hawks.:facepalm:

td577
11-22-2015, 01:43 AM
On crack if you think SHSU is getting a seed. ;) They will be lucky to sneak in.

I was thinking the same thing you were but then started looking at the polls and gpi. Going into the week, they were 10th in the STATS poll and 12th in coaches poll with 3 schools with FCS losses and 15th in GPI with all sorts of losses and teams that don't qualify for the playoffs in front of them. The committee already has said they weigh losses late in the season heavier than earlier so using the parameters they are suggesting, SHSU starts sliding forward quite a bit. They are also kicking the crap out of Central Arkansas which will weigh heavier in their favor. So if the committee says CCU, W&M, and SDSU aren't deserving of a seed because they lost the last week of the season, then someone has to benefit. Somebody would have to slip into that 8th spot and I think it will be Richmond or SHSU being the ones who could get in there. SHSU has never fallen behind Richmond in any system all year long. Now if the committee is sane, which I am not sure of, then one of those three schools who lost today to FCS schools don't drop past 8th because all three are better than SHSU. Since they are not sane, I think they punish those programs for losing now and SHSU makes a jump.

NDSUstudent
11-22-2015, 01:45 AM
1. Jsu 2. Msu 3. Ndsu 4. Psu 5. Isu 6. Csu 7. Jmu 8. Suu

Swap Richmond with SUU and I think you may have it.

Kevin
11-22-2015, 01:50 AM
Looks like CP has already mailed it in, 2 fumbles, no defense, it's already 21-0 F'hawks.:facepalm:

Maybe they're throwing the game for the good of the Big Fluffy.

X-Factor
11-22-2015, 01:58 AM
OK>>>>>>>>>> you heard it here first folks!!!

1.0: Jacksonville State Butt Auburns
2.0: North Dakota State Bison
3.0: McNeese State Overrateds
4.0: Illinois State RedHats
5.0: James Madison Offense
6.0: Portland State BPD's
7.0: Charleston Southern Chuckles
8.0: South Dakota State Chest Thumpers

scottietohottie
11-22-2015, 02:20 AM
What has NDSU done to deserve being on the opposite side of the valley teams? Didn't win the conference out right, no fbs win, and lost to Montana. I'm thinking they get homefield but have to run the gauntlet of valley teams. Just my two cents after a 4 hour drive. Playoff time got to love it.

NDSUstudent
11-22-2015, 02:24 AM
What has NDSU done to deserve being on the opposite side of the valley teams? Didn't win the conference out right, no fbs win, and lost to Montana. I'm thinking they get homefield but have to run the gauntlet of valley teams. Just my two cents after a 4 hour drive. Playoff time got to love it.

Valley teams will be split if the committee sticks with regionalization....SDSU to NDSU and UNI to ISUR.

td577
11-22-2015, 02:31 AM
In my opinion, it isn't about being on the opposite side as the way the seedings will happen. NDSU will be a 2 or 3. While ISUr should probably be ahead of mcneese, mcneese will be a 2 or 3. ISUr will be a 4 or 5. If SDSU is seeded, I can't see them pulling off anything better than the 8th, with a loss today. It would just work out that way. The only question them is where does UNI fall into it. I am guessing it would be similar to last year where they are on a collision course with ISUr or a seeded SDSU. If SDSU is not seeded, I could see them coming to the dome, so it isn't like there would be intentional stacking, it just matters if they get seeded.

MAKBison
11-22-2015, 03:15 AM

Beat more top 25 teams than any other team....according to KvLY

scottietohottie
11-22-2015, 03:23 AM
Beat more top 25 teams than any other team....according to KvLY

Herd that too. I'm just thinking they try and avoid a mvfc championship championship game if you know what I mean.

MAKBison
11-22-2015, 03:25 AM
I hear ya. They could put all MVFC on one side now since sdsu lost

BisonNation11
11-22-2015, 03:29 AM
Herd that too. I'm just thinking they try and avoid a mvfc championship championship game if you know what I mean.
Explain how you get NDSU & ISUR on the same side of the bracket. No one in their right mind without either dropping NDSU way too far down or bumping ISUR way too far up and dropping McNeese can you get them together. It's just not going to happen. Unless SDSU gets a miracle seeding, expect two MVFC second round matchup possibilities on opposite sides of the bracket.

scottietohottie
11-22-2015, 03:34 AM
Explain how you get NDSU & ISUR on the same side of the bracket. No one in their right mind without either dropping NDSU way too far down or bumping ISUR way too far up and dropping McNeese can you get them together. It's just not going to happen. Unless SDSU gets a miracle seeding, expect two MVFC second round matchup possibilities on opposite sides of the bracket.

Ndsu2 isur3 would do it wouldn't it?

MAKBison
11-22-2015, 03:38 AM
Yep..... .......

bloodmakesthegrassgrow
11-22-2015, 05:05 AM
What did he say wrong on mcneese board? He was quite factual and gave An opinion why he thinks NDSU should be one seed. With realization they won't be. Parent hood has helped him greatly

I see what the asswipe writes all over the place. He's easily a no-good lying, slandering sonofabitch!

BYZEN
11-22-2015, 08:07 AM
("Quote Originally Posted by kab1one View Post
What did he say wrong on mcneese board? He was quite factual and gave An opinion why he thinks NDSU should be one seed. With realization they won't be. Parent hood has helped him greatl")

I normally make it a point not to pick on the poor escaped drug Lord/Dragons fan/disgruntled gopher but you said factual. That word sounds good, but its implication is that one lakesbison has checked the facts he is tossing on the walls. Too tired to go copy paste samples from boards. I usually pay people to that kind of menial work for me. Now can anyone on this board help me, I seam to have run out of Grey Poupone.

I see what the asswipe writes all over the place. He's easily a no-good lying, slandering sonofabitch!

Don't hold back son, tell us what you really think!!!!:nod::nod::biggrin:

Disclaimer: any and all smartass remarks made by me come with a participation ribbon so your feelings aren't hurt

SDbison
11-22-2015, 01:17 PM
I am in Fargo and the hotel I am staying at does not have ESPNU. Where should I go to watch at 10 am and will turn up volume so I can listen? Also might have some breakfast and bloody marys.

BisonNation11
11-22-2015, 01:21 PM
Nobody will serve you booze until noon. So pick a sports bar/restaurant you like and wait until noon if you want to drink.

Mr Meaty
11-22-2015, 01:23 PM
I am in Fargo and the hotel I am staying at does not have ESPNU. Where should I go to watch at 10 am and will turn up volume so I can listen? Also might have some breakfast and bloody marys.

Should have stay at a Holiday Inm Express! Lol
Be seriously no alcohol sales until 11:00. Not sure where you could have breakfast with a tv with espnu on it.

SDbison
11-22-2015, 01:25 PM
I know no booze til noon but which bar restaurant will be sort of quiet and will turn up volume?

MNLonghorn10
11-22-2015, 01:42 PM
I know no booze til noon but which bar restaurant will be sort of quiet and will turn up volume?

idk, cant really think of any besides Granite City that would be open at 10 am but theyre usually busy with sunday brunch

FFBison
11-22-2015, 01:44 PM
Poolside bar at holiday inn.

Bison03
11-22-2015, 02:55 PM
Top 4 seeds announced in no particular order. NDSU, Jacksonville St., Mcneese St., Illinois St. No surprises.

taper
11-22-2015, 03:24 PM
SDSU to Montana. UND NOT in!