PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something?

Sac
11-14-2015, 03:14 AM
#1 in the GPI.. why wouldn't we have#2 or#1 if we win out!

Mr Meaty
11-14-2015, 03:21 AM

We will have that when we win out

td577
11-14-2015, 03:23 AM

The GPI isn't the same as the Simple Rating System. Also, if you look at last year, while the top 8 in the SRS was seeded in the top 8, it wasn't the same order. The selection committee has their own formula for weighing when there are losses and how everyone feels on that day. It isn't as cut and dry as one might expect. Also, I think when it comes time for seeding, the selection committee starts leaning towards the coaches poll and other human polls more than the aggregate of the GPI and SRS which includes the computer rankings. I do think if we win out, I can't see anything less than a #3, at worst.

ndsubison1
11-14-2015, 06:19 AM

Losses to two teams who possibly wont be in the playoffs.

SamsRams
11-14-2015, 09:37 AM
Losses to two teams who possibly wont be in the playoffs.

That has nothing to do with how much money the NCAA gets from a sold out fargodome

JMB
11-14-2015, 11:05 AM
That has nothing to do with how much money the NCAA gets from a sold out fargodome

We shall see.....

tony
11-14-2015, 11:14 AM

The NCAA sent NDSU to Delta State.

SomeBeach
11-14-2015, 11:44 AM

Pure politics is why. Success envy. Any toe hold that justifies a chance to take down the king.

gizmo
11-14-2015, 11:56 AM
It is wishful thinking to hope that the Bison will get a top two seed with their two bad losses. I hope I'm wrong.

SDbison
11-14-2015, 12:05 PM
Right now the only important thing is the Bison getting a win today. Much as I don't trust the "committee" the Bison and Bison fans will need to deal with whatever is decided. I am more concerned about the structure of the bracket (MVFC teams all on one side) than the final seeding.

td577
11-14-2015, 12:16 PM
It is wishful thinking to hope that the Bison will get a top two seed with their two bad losses. I hope I'm wrong.

First of all, depending on how those other two programs finish the season, those losses might not look quite as bad.

With the committee bent on keeping early rounds regionalized, being seeded doesn't matter until the quarters anyways. Then you look at who is left. If we are seeded 3rd or 4th on the same side as McNeese State, for example, I don't think they make it to the semis. That would be our first possible road game if we are still playing and now we are the top seed anyways. So the question isn't really will we get a top seed, it is who will they seed above us and are they legitimate. If they aren't then it doesn't matter.

I would be fine if NDSU was a 3 seed and McNeese was a 2 seed.

td577
11-14-2015, 12:16 PM
Right now the only important thing is the Bison getting a win today. Much as I don't trust the "committee" the Bison and Bison fans will need to deal with whatever is decided. I am more concerned about the structure of the bracket (MVFC teams all on one side) than the final seeding.

Yeah, not much control other than take care of business and see what happens.

tjbison
11-14-2015, 12:40 PM
just win baby

easton for president

A1pigskin
11-14-2015, 12:49 PM
I would rather focus on today's game. Otherwise this is just another distraction that is not needed right now.

Mr Meaty
11-14-2015, 12:57 PM
I would rather focus on today's game. Otherwise this is just another distraction that is not needed right now.

US fans live for distractions..... That is what we do. Obsess over things we have no control over but think we do...

tony
11-14-2015, 01:58 PM

^ this and and only this.

OrygunBison
11-14-2015, 03:09 PM

Thank goodness that you are focused. That should be really helpful to the team.

tjbison
11-14-2015, 03:13 PM

please...how in the hell does this discussion on the Internet have any bearing on today's game

Grizzled
11-14-2015, 04:16 PM
Illinois St is probably trying to figure out how they are lower with their only losses to Iowa and SDSU. It will be an interesting selection Sunday if both teams take care of business.

YSU makes me nervous though. If you talked with a coach this week all they mentioned is how athletic they are.

Bisonator98
11-14-2015, 04:26 PM
I'm not so sure it will even matter. Win out and they should get a top 2 seed. Even a top 4 seed gets you home field until the semi's and even then an upset or 2 can keep you at home. The way this team is playing I don't think it matters a whole lot. Keep playing like they have been and no one can beat them.

Bisonator98
11-14-2015, 04:29 PM
Illinois St is probably trying to figure out how they are lower with their only losses to Iowa and SDSU. It will be an interesting selection Sunday if both teams take care of business.

YSU makes me nervous though. If you talked with a coach this week all they mentioned is how athletic they are.

They haven't beaten a decent team yet. SDSU beat them during their Homecoming game 38-8. I think a similar result happens today. GO BISON!!!

NDSUSR
11-14-2015, 04:33 PM
If we can hang +21 on YSU it will help a lot.

BisonCardinal
11-14-2015, 04:40 PM
Thank goodness that you are focused. That should be really helpful to the team.

++++ Funniest post of the day!

ndsubison1
11-14-2015, 04:50 PM

They don't seed based on that

NDSUSR
11-14-2015, 04:54 PM
They don't seed based on that

Its not criteria, but I bet its a consideration. NCAA wants $.

Bisonguy
11-14-2015, 04:58 PM
Its not criteria, but I bet its a consideration. NCAA wants $.

Not really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDSUSR
11-14-2015, 05:06 PM
Not really.

If you want to disagree thats fine but:

You are not on the committee, I am not on the committee.
Your opinion has no more validity than mine.
Yes, the NCAA does want money.

If you have indisputable proof that money is not a factor in even a minimal way please post up those facts and I will happily acquiesce.

BisonNeil
11-14-2015, 05:15 PM

That's irrelevant. Nobody on the NCAA on the selection committee. Home attendance numbers cannot be found anywhere among the seeding criteria.

Bisonator98
11-14-2015, 05:23 PM

If you have indisputable proof that money is not a factor in even a minimal way please post up those facts and I will happily acquiesce.

It might be a factor as far as actually getting in and a first round home game but doesn't when it comes to seeding. Think what you want though.

td577
11-14-2015, 05:28 PM
That's irrelevant. Nobody on the NCAA on the selection committee. Home attendance numbers cannot be found anywhere among the seeding criteria.

What is the seeding criteria?

They have publicized some of the tools they have used for selecting playoff teams, but I haven't seen a seeding criteria. In fact, even the playoff criteria isn't apparently followed to the letter. Going by their guideline, Idaho State and Bethune-Cookman should have been in the playoffs and not Montana State and Stephen F. Austin. There is obviously unwritten criteria being followed in the selection process. In the seeding process, it becomes even more obvious they are not using the same criteria. While the SRS was obviously heavily considered for the top 8 seeds, they weren't in the order of the rankings last season. Otherwise, we would probably have been hosting ISUr at home in the semis.

I am not saying the selection committee is weighing which programs will result in the best draw or most revenue, but it would make sense they would do what is best for the FCS division as a whole. That being said, what really happens and what should happen rarely coincide when the NCAA is involved.

td577
11-14-2015, 05:30 PM
The NCAA sent NDSU to Delta State.

Different era and different people involved. They could be even more vindictive today.

wtffootballfan
11-14-2015, 05:33 PM
Here is link to the 2014 Gridiron Power Index, and the 2014 playoff bracket. You can use this to compare.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/a...0141125gpi.htm

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/football/fcs

td577
11-14-2015, 05:40 PM
Here is link to the 2014 Gridiron Power Index, and the 2014 playoff bracket. You can use this to compare.

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/a...0141125gpi.htm

http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/football/fcs

The SRS is a better comparison because that is the tool they use. 2014 SRS used by selection committee: http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/simple-ratings-system

Bisonguy
11-14-2015, 05:54 PM

Gate revenue to the NCAA is rather minuscule. Cripes, people seem to forget that the FBS subsidizes the FCS within the NCAA.

Yeah, larger venue teams with more fans usually end up hosting. Part of that is due to better funded teams have more success and therefore a larger following.

Chicken. Egg.

missingnumber7
11-14-2015, 06:19 PM
The SRS is a better comparison because that is the tool they use. 2014 SRS used by selection committee: http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/simple-ratings-system

SRS was tweeked a little this year to include margin of victory up to 21 points, it also has a WL quotient involved as well that rewards winning on the road and vs FBS schools. But in the NCAA's wisdom they don't publish it until after the selection show.