PDA

View Full Version : CJ Smith

RossUglem
11-12-2015, 01:04 PM
http://www.scout.com/college/north-dakota-state/story/1610544-cj-smith-earning-shutdown-reputation

BisonReport article on CJ Smith and his development into a "shutdown" corner.

HerdistheWord
01-10-2016, 09:15 PM
I feel that CJ Smith is very underrated, because he didn't put up the big stats. Of course, Marcus Williams put up the big stats and was still very underrated, so nothing new to bison fans. Hopefully he gets a few tryouts with NFL teams.

ZHerd
01-10-2016, 09:26 PM
CJ's impact since 2013 has been huge. He and Marcus were a ridiculously good cb tandem. Looking at how good Marcus is in the pros, they were a more talented cb duo than most P5 teams field. We will miss CJ's shutdown coverage and someone else needs to step up and do the same if the NDSU 2016 D is going to pick up where they have left off. I hope CJ gets a shot in an NFL training camp

westnodak93bison
01-10-2016, 09:28 PM
CJ's impact since 2013 has been huge. He and Marcus were a ridiculously good cb tandem. Looking at how good Marcus is in the pros, they were a more talented cb duo than most P5 teams field. We will miss CJ's shutdown coverage and someone else needs to step up and do the same if the NDSU 2016 D is going to pick up where they have left off. I hope CJ gets a shot in an NFL training camp
He should. Damn good cb. We will miss him.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

HerdistheWord
01-10-2016, 09:29 PM
The cornerback position has me the most worried about next year.

Kevin
01-10-2016, 09:36 PM

Especially with Kupp and EWU coming. It could be baptism by fire again for a young/inexperienced position group.

Punter has me a little worried as well. Going back to Drago we've had great punters and it really helps our style of play.

ZHerd
01-10-2016, 09:44 PM
Also, as long as I'm bragging on CJ and Marcus, I think Champion had a nice career as well. He was a consistent, reliable corner with physical tackling ability in the run game and on blitzes. His coverage was also a bit underrated. Guys he was covering didn't typically do much

westnodak93bison
01-10-2016, 09:45 PM
Especially with Kupp and EWU coming. It could be baptism by fire again for a young/inexperienced position group.

Punter has me a little worried as well. Going back to Drago we've had great punters and it really helps our style of play.
Our corners will be fine. Alison is solid, Reid could be good but hasn't had playing time. I heard Dom Davis has huge potential. Plus Tre could move back to corner.

HerdistheWord
01-11-2016, 12:03 AM

Dang! I completely forgot that lecompte is leaving. That may actually have the biggest impact on the team.

westnodak93bison
01-11-2016, 12:08 AM
Dang! I completely forgot that lecompte is leaving. That may actually have the biggest impact on the team.
I would hope we have some huge leverage to land a punter.

GOBISON123
01-11-2016, 01:15 AM

Me too...He was darn effective. He covered the best WRs and came out on top.

coloradobison
01-21-2016, 03:55 PM
Per Anish, CJ was added to the roster for the NFLPA bowl. I don't see him on the website yet though.

https://twitter.com/AnishESPN/status/690213599575351296

bisonmike2
01-21-2016, 04:00 PM
There is an electronic billboard between Rogers and Maple Grove that is running 3 NDSU ads right now. 1 is a simple NDSU display. 2 is NDSU with 5 trophies on it, and the 3rd is one that has a big picture of CJ Smith from the ISU championship game that says, "Congrats CJ Smith, Sports Management Major - Savage MN". Kinda cool, I wonder if NDSU is running those in other areas for the seniors?

tjbison
01-21-2016, 04:21 PM
There is an electronic billboard between Rogers and Maple Grove that is running 3 NDSU ads right now. 1 is a simple NDSU display. 2 is NDSU with 5 trophies on it, and the 3rd is one that has a big picture of CJ Smith from the ISU championship game that says, "Congrats CJ Smith, Sports Management Major - Savage MN". Kinda cool, I wonder if NDSU is running those in other areas for the seniors?

oh boy, what a waste of money, sure blob port will be all over this now

BisManBison
01-21-2016, 04:23 PM
Per Anish, CJ was added to the roster for the NFLPA bowl. I don't see him on the website yet though.

https://twitter.com/AnishESPN/status/690213599575351296

Game will air Saturday at 5 p.m. Central Time on ESPN2. I find it great that Anish gave a shout out to CJ for getting added to the roster. I couldn't find anything on the broadcast team, but have to assume Anish is on the team for this.

Interesting side note that I may be the only one to find interesting, Ray Rice is coaching running backs for this National Team in this game.

Edit: CJ will be on the National Team, coached by Mike Martz.

Bison 4 Life
01-21-2016, 04:31 PM
I think some of the other seniors might make a little noise in some of these other workouts.

Granted the Senior Bowl is the biggie but this is a good opportunity to shake the "FCS" label.

bri-dog
01-21-2016, 05:07 PM
Game will air Saturday at 5 p.m. Central Time on ESPN2. I find it great that Anish gave a shout out to CJ for getting added to the roster. I couldn't find anything on the broadcast team, but have to assume Anish is on the team for this.

Interesting side note that I may be the only one to find interesting, Ray Rice is coaching running backs for this National Team in this game.

Edit: CJ will be on the National Team, coached by Mike Martz.

Practice is on right now on ESPNU, Anish is one of the panel of commentators.

bri-dog
01-21-2016, 06:02 PM
CJ just got some camera time and some love from Anish.

And he's wearing the green helmet...

BisonTru
01-21-2016, 06:03 PM
Practice is on right now on ESPNU, Anish is one of the panel of commentators.

CJ sporting the green helmet.

Made a mention of CJ Smith being a last minute add and played for the 5 time defending FCS champions NDSU.

MNLonghorn10
01-21-2016, 06:12 PM

NDSU is pimped the hell out of in the cities...almost every billboard is NDSU. whether Im south by Rosemount, downtown by Target Center, or just entering it by Rogers. oil money!

SDbison
01-21-2016, 06:21 PM
NDSU is pimped the hell out of in the cities...almost every billboard is NDSU. whether Im south by Rosemount, downtown by Target Center, or just entering it by Rogers. oil money! Push for 18,000 enrollment........I see the Fago Foolum and UND Politicians already going after Bresciani to derail the effort.

THEsocalledfan
01-21-2016, 06:28 PM
Push for 18,000 enrollment........I see the Fago Foolum and UND Politicians already going after Bresciani to derail the effort.

In Sioux Falls, it is the same as the Cities. Billboards everywhere and TV spots all the time. I am sure Dave even loves this!

SDbison
01-21-2016, 06:34 PM
In Sioux Falls, it is the same as the Cities. Billboards everywhere and TV spots all the time. I am sure Dave even loves this! FM greater than Sioux Falls. NDSU greater than all SD schools and UND.

THEsocalledfan
01-21-2016, 06:42 PM
FM greater than Sioux Falls. NDSU greater than all SD schools and UND.

Well yeah, but you have to love all the NDSU love in town right now.

westnodak93bison
01-21-2016, 07:57 PM
Push for 18,000 enrollment........I see the Fago Foolum and UND Politicians already going after Bresciani to derail the effort.
I like the push. Need the Twin Cities TV market for our push into the Big 12

marenlee
01-21-2016, 08:31 PM
So what do people here think of CJ's chances making an NFL roster? On most draft websites I don't even see CJ ranked as a top 100 CB, which we all know is complete BS. I don't understand how he has gone mostly unnoticed when the team has received it's fair share of attention from the NFL the past few years. This guy was was terrific his entire career and would love to see him get a decent shot.

bisonmike2
01-21-2016, 09:00 PM
So what do people here think of CJ's chances making an NFL roster? On most draft websites I don't even see CJ ranked as a top 100 CB, which we all know is complete BS. I don't understand how he has gone mostly unnoticed when the team has received it's fair share of attention from the NFL the past few years. This guy was was terrific his entire career and would love to see him get a decent shot.

I'm wondering the same thing. IMO, he's been as good in coverage as M-Wil was. Look at his passes defensed numbers. They are insane. He locks guys down. He just doesn't have the interception numbers Marcus had. I think M-Wil was very explosive and did a great job of baiting QB's into throwing at him. He took a lot more chances and often he made QB's pay for it. CJ is great at following the ball and making play at the end that either deflects it or strips it from the receiver at the end. I'm not sure how his game will translate to the next level but I think he at least deserves a shot.

td577
01-21-2016, 09:07 PM
I'm wondering the same thing. IMO, he's been as good in coverage as M-Wil was. Look at his passes defensed numbers. They are insane. He locks guys down. He just doesn't have the interception numbers Marcus had. I think M-Wil was very explosive and did a great job of baiting QB's into throwing at him. He took a lot more chances and often he made QB's pay for it. CJ is great at following the ball and making play at the end that either deflects it or strips it from the receiver at the end. I'm not sure how his game will translate to the next level but I think he at least deserves a shot.

He seems like a guy Zimmer would love.

BisonTru
01-21-2016, 09:46 PM

I watched some of his practice today. Took me a while to find him with the green helmet. Hopefully Wentz and Haeg take note, wear yellow so I can find you. Wentz shouldn't be too difficult. They really spend a lot of time talking about and filming the QBs. Next week will be fun.

As for CJ getting an invite to the NFLPA Bowl is a start. These are mostly 7th round/Free agent guys, but it at least shows he's on their radar. He didn't make any huge plays today, but he didn't get beat bad either. For the most part held his own. I'd say it's doubtful he gets drafted, but fairly certain someone will offer him a rookie contract shortly after the draft concludes. His special teams play may help him make a roster.

56BISON73
01-22-2016, 03:03 AM
NDSU is pimped the hell out of in the cities...almost every billboard is NDSU. whether Im south by Rosemount, downtown by Target Center, or just entering it by Rogers. oil money!

We noticed that also. Heck there one up here by Crosby and one on the way to Brainerd. Not to mention all the ones we saw going through the cities heading south.

HerdThat!
01-22-2016, 01:47 PM

Yeah its awesome, I see more NDSU billboards than U of M ones, to which I say keep it coming. One thing I've noticed though, is there used to only be one UND billboard up by Monticello for years, now there are a few more creeping into the metro area, almost got arrested for vandalism the other night...

A1pigskin
01-23-2016, 12:03 AM
yeah its awesome, i see more ndsu billboards than u of m ones, to which i say keep it coming. One thing i've noticed though, is there used to only be one und billboard up by monticello for years, now there are a few more creeping into the metro area, almost got arrested for vandalism the other night...

yikes!!!!!!

bison_by_blood
01-23-2016, 08:27 PM
CJ will be playing on ESPN2 coming up in hour and a half. Hope he can make some plays to stand out.

Green1
01-23-2016, 10:08 PM
Basketball game running long on ESPN 2. Game currently being shown on ESPN News channel.

Bison 4 Life
01-23-2016, 10:12 PM
I have sling and no ESPNews.

Die already, GT

SDbison
01-23-2016, 10:22 PM
CJs # anyone? I know he is on national team.

mtoutfitter
01-23-2016, 10:23 PM
Richmond's running back just scored a touchdown....doing better against the FBS guys than he did against the Bison.

FM Bison
01-23-2016, 10:23 PM
Why are they wearing other teams logos on their helmets?

Bison 4 Life
01-23-2016, 10:24 PM
Why are they wearing other teams logos on their helmets?

That happens with some end of season all star games. They all bring a bunch of stickers and they trade them.

SDbison
01-23-2016, 10:25 PM
I looked it up cj is supposed to be #31 on National defense.

FM Bison
01-23-2016, 10:27 PM
Interesting... Hopefully CJ handed out a bunch

BisonNation11
01-23-2016, 10:30 PM
I looked it up cj is supposed to be #31 on National defense.
Believe he has green helmet as well so looking for yellow won't help any. With him joining late, I wouldn't expect to see anyone with Bison stickers. Hoping he shines. Not being able to press really takes away a lot of his game.

ndsubison1
01-23-2016, 10:33 PM
CJ is fine off the ball too

Bison 4 Life
01-23-2016, 10:40 PM
So far he's way way off the ball

HerdBoy
01-23-2016, 10:45 PM
Interesting... Hopefully CJ handed out a bunch

I saw one of the National OL with a Bison sticker on his helmet.

StL Bison Fan
01-23-2016, 10:46 PM
Did i just see a Bison logo on an o players helmet?

I see from above my eyesight is just fine:)

Bison 4 Life
01-23-2016, 10:48 PM
I saw one of the National OL with a Bison sticker on his helmet.

Yep. #76? It looked like it.

SDbison
01-23-2016, 11:02 PM
So far he's way way off the ball
So far not on the field yet.

westnodak93bison
01-23-2016, 11:04 PM
Looks like they need to put CJ on Jaydon

HerdBoy
01-23-2016, 11:17 PM

I saw him on a punt return. I suppose they break it up so some guys play the first two quarters and others play quarters 3 and 4.

westnodak93bison
01-23-2016, 11:49 PM
He is in. Rt corner

SDbison
01-24-2016, 12:02 AM
No action in his direction.........hopefully next series.

westnodak93bison
01-24-2016, 12:10 AM
Looks like no throws to his side. Unless I missed it.

mtoutfitter
01-24-2016, 12:11 AM
First play of last series they threw to his guy...Smith missed the tackle and it went for a first down.

westnodak93bison
01-24-2016, 12:13 AM
First play of last series they threw to his guy...Smith missed the tackle and it went for a first down.
Went to get a beer and missed it. Was it bad?

StL Bison Fan
01-24-2016, 12:17 AM
It was not good. Havent seen anything else of cj

First Vikings kicking joke as kicker comes out

StL Bison Fan
01-24-2016, 12:22 AM
As they said, many of the Nfl people have left.
Cj's work ethic, how he prepares, and coachability are very important things they said they look for.

mtoutfitter
01-24-2016, 12:28 AM
Went to get a beer and missed it. Was it bad?

I'd have to say it sure wasn't good.....he had him on a solo tackle and let him slip away....very noticeable

HerdBoy
01-24-2016, 02:17 AM
Richmond's running back just scored a touchdown....doing better against the FBS guys than he did against the Bison.

I don't see Marshaun Coprich being invited to any of these games? Hmm.

Bison 4 Life
01-24-2016, 02:18 AM

I don't think he's going anywhere. Something about character issues. I don't care what the ISUr people think. NFL GMs don't need that problem.

HerdBoy
01-24-2016, 02:24 AM
I didn't think about until it someone said something about the Richmond RB. Last year Crockett and Zenner got invited to the East-West Shrine Game and David Johnson went to the Senior Bowl.

StL Bison Fan
01-24-2016, 02:24 AM

He blew it off... :rofl:

DIBISON
01-24-2016, 05:55 AM
As they said, many of the Nfl people have left.
Cj's work ethic, how he prepares, and coachability are very important things they said they look for.
Last year of the 110 players in this game 10 were drafted and 70 got free agent contracts!

A1pigskin
01-24-2016, 06:11 PM
Last year of the 110 players in this game 10 were drafted and 70 got free agent contracts!

How many of the 70 are still in the NFL?