PDA

View Full Version : MJ Stumpf

Professor Chaos
10-07-2015, 07:07 PM
Didn't see a thread for him yet so I figured I'd start one because I think this guy has really stepped up at a big positional need this year and hasn't gotten the press or the praise that guys like Deluca, Tanguay, and CJ Smith have gotten. After re-watching the SDSU game you could've put a #52 on his back and I would've sworn that Travis Beck was back out there making plays. He doesn't have the versatility yet that Beck did but he was in the SDSU backfield a lot and his pursuit was fantastic which exactly what is needed out of the WLB in this system.

I'm really excited to see what MJ can do on this defense over the rest of this year and the next. He certainly seems to have the ability to be a difference maker.

td577
10-07-2015, 07:11 PM
Didn't see a thread for him yet so I figured I'd start one because I think this guy has really stepped up at a big positional need this year and hasn't gotten the press or the praise that guys like Deluca, Tanguay, and CJ Smith have gotten. After re-watching the SDSU game you could've put a #52 on his back and I would've sworn that Travis Beck was back out there making plays. He doesn't have the versatility yet that Beck did but he was in the SDSU backfield a lot and his pursuit was fantastic which exactly what is needed out of the WLB in this system.

I'm really excited to see what MJ can do on this defense over the rest of this year and the next. He certainly seems to have the ability to be a difference maker.

It is fun watching these guys mature and as they get more experience, the training wheels come off and making even more plays.

HerdBoy
10-07-2015, 07:38 PM
I didn't realize how big he was until I saw him standing along the sidelines next to Coach K. He had an excellent game against the Jacks. I think he led the team in tackles too.

Bison81
10-07-2015, 08:03 PM
I think He is the most improved defensive player. I wasn't real confident coming into the season - wow nice.

BisonNation11
10-07-2015, 08:11 PM
The young man can certainly fly! That first play last Saturday was a thing of beauty! Hope he continues on this upward climb of excellent play. He's fun to watch!

EC8CH
10-07-2015, 10:51 PM
Definitely saw flashes of Beck on some of the plays he was making at SDSU. Really noticed him playing fast that game.

Bison Bridge Guy
10-07-2015, 11:53 PM
Stumpf and PGT both look much different than they did against Montana, where they appeared to be out of position/lost a number of times. Definitely playing faster and more confident.

Gully
10-08-2015, 12:00 AM
It's always fun to see the next group of players emerge. I remember Heagle's coming out game against SDSU where he just leveled people and we were like, "who the hell is this guy"!

A1pigskin
10-08-2015, 12:30 AM
MJ did an awesome job. Hope it will carry on through the season. Awesome stuff.

TateMosersneighbor
10-08-2015, 01:59 PM
Sat next to his aunt earlier this year at the sue shellacking, he played well that game too. I think its just getting comfortable again under the lights for some of these guys. Some haven't played "meaningful" minutes on a FB field for 2 to 4 years. They've been behind some studs and now they are loosening up and playing fast. MJ is a good example of that. Menard, Dempsey...others too.

It's interesting to continually see these kids from Harvey or name your small town come to NDSU, work their ass off and play well.

MJ and the LB corp will need to bring it this Saturday.

No_Skill
10-08-2015, 08:16 PM
He and his dad were on our flight down to the first game in Frisco and we had a chance to chat a bit. He was just a verbal at the time and I remember thinking he was going to need some more meat on his bones to play linebacker. I told him that hopefully he can help us make some more trips down to Texas. It's good to see him have some success and contribute to the team.

bri-dog
10-08-2015, 11:22 PM
He and his dad were on our flight down to the first game in Frisco and we had a chance to chat a bit. He was just a verbal at the time and I reme:)mber thinking he was going to need some more meat on his bones to play linebacker. I told him that hopefully he can help us make some more trips down to Texas. It's good to see him have some success and contribute to the team.

I felt the same way watching Travis Beck playing HS baseball against Tolna his senior year. We know how that worked out...

Professor Chaos
10-11-2015, 02:25 PM
Well, this is the last player "pat on the back" thread I'll make, haha. MJ had a rough game yesterday, lots to work for both him and PGT after their struggles with the read option.

td577
10-11-2015, 04:14 PM
Well, this is the last player "pat on the back" thread I'll make, haha. MJ had a rough game yesterday, lots to work for both him and PGT after their struggles with the read option.

They will get the hang of it. Still a lot of team defense to work on. They also don't have a lot of games to call back on in mid-stride. It will be easier for all of them moving forward when other opponents start trying things someone else has done and the coaches can simply say go to the game plan we used against Team Y. They know teams with running QBs will run this against the Bison from now on and we are pretty good at strengthening weaknesses. I like how our guys don't generally make the same mistakes over and over again. If you are going to beat the Bison, you have to make them make a new mistake.

MAKBison
10-11-2015, 08:30 PM
They will get the hang of it. Still a lot of team defense to work on. They also don't have a lot of games to call back on in mid-stride. It will be easier for all of them moving forward when other opponents start trying things someone else has done and the coaches can simply say go to the game plan we used against Team Y. They know teams with running QBs will run this against the Bison from now on and we are pretty good at strengthening weaknesses. I like how our guys don't generally make the same mistakes over and over again. If you are going to beat the Bison, you have to make them make a new mistake.

It is fun watching them grow.

EC8CH
10-11-2015, 08:44 PM
It is fun watching them grow.

Yes it is. If they keep growing and learn to be more gap sound and disciplined it will be a remarkable year for this young defense.

MAKBison
10-11-2015, 08:56 PM
Yes it is. If they keep growing and learn to be more gap sound and disciplined it will be a remarkable year for this young defense.

I think we might have more raw talent on this D then we had the past 4 years.

td577
10-11-2015, 09:53 PM
I think we might have more raw talent on this D then we had the past 4 years.

I think right now the focus is so much on getting everyone to learn what they are doing individually. The next step will be how that fits into the team system and then they will blow everything up. I have to think this defense would be easier to work with from week to week for the coaches because there is always a tangible goal and definitive evidence they have a ways to go in front of them than the last couple of seasons. Last year, the goals were smaller and I think a lot of players don't always see the little things all the time when you are working with such experience. The way this defense looks now, you can see it is an obvious step one to step two for the whole unit. There isn't 5 tracks of development going on. Where it hurts is you don't have the core group to work individuals around. Where it helps is everyone is on the same page at the same time so the veterans of the group always know where the weakest parts of the defense are at all times. They won't be inexperienced come quarterfinals.

RossUglem
12-17-2015, 07:48 PM
http://www.scout.com/college/north-dakota-state/story/1624074-heart-and-soul-bison-lbs-excel

BisonReport feature on MJ, PGT and Nick DeLuca. I had a chance to sit down and speak to PGT and MJ.

OatmealWicket92
12-17-2015, 08:16 PM
http://www.scout.com/college/north-dakota-state/story/1624074-heart-and-soul-bison-lbs-excel

BisonReport feature on MJ, PGT and Nick DeLuca. I had a chance to sit down and speak to PGT and MJ.

Good article. Nice to read something other than crowd noise articles.

SafeTeeJ
12-18-2015, 06:38 PM

you can insert this guy into the meme and it would also work.

SafeTeeJ
12-18-2015, 06:39 PM
MJ is going to have a big game tonight!

OatmealWicket92
12-18-2015, 06:42 PM

you can insert this guy into the meme and it would also work.

I think a show with Lou Holtz would be so fun. Because I would just try to get him so riled up and speaking in incomprehensible slurs.

bri-dog
12-18-2015, 06:53 PM
I think a show with Lou Holtz would be so fun. Because I would just try to get him so riled up and speaking in incomprehensible slurs.

Just think if we still had Scott Stocyzynski and got to hear Lou try to say that one...

BlueBisonRock
10-29-2016, 04:26 PM
MJ is one hell of an athlete and is as hard nosed as they come. He has proven himself as a football player time and time again.

There is another side to this man. A side that shows his value as a person. Below, you will find a photo of my nephew Jason holding a signed Bison flag. Jason has Downs Syndrome. And is the biggest Bison fan in the Fargodome. He was given the flag he is holding by MJ. The flag was signed by the members of this years team. MJ learned of Jason from an article in the New Rockford newspaper and took it on himself to buy a flag and get it signed by his teammates. I was surprised, then impressed by his action. And he grew in stature to me by his giving a damn.

Which leads me to state: Give 'em hell Stumpf. Continue to kick tail on the field of play. And thanks for taking the time to make my nephew's day better. Go Bison!

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk298/rjehni/JasonBDFlag_zpskvmu4nxh.jpg

It should be noted that Jason also has autographed photos of Brock, Carson, and Easton thanks to people on this board.

garbageman
10-29-2016, 04:28 PM
Allergies again. Great story

BraxtonT
10-29-2016, 05:08 PM
Kudos to the Harvey Hornet!

Jason is a wonderful person. I look forward to asking him about his flag when I see him.

Bison"FANatic"
10-29-2016, 05:27 PM
NDSU not just building football players but building Gentlemen!!!!!!!!

BisonFanAnn
10-29-2016, 05:42 PM
I saw this on Facebook, but didn't realize there was a Bisonville connection. I'm delighted to see that photo again!

Christopher Moen
10-29-2016, 08:43 PM
MJ is one hell of an athlete and is as hard nosed as they come. He has proven himself as a football player time and time again.

There is another side to this man. A side that shows his value as a person. Below, you will find a photo of my nephew Jason holding a signed Bison flag. Jason has Downs Syndrome. And is the biggest Bison fan in the Fargodome. He was given the flag he is holding by MJ. The flag was signed by the members of this years team. MJ learned of Jason from an article in the New Rockford newspaper and took it on himself to buy a flag and get it signed by his teammates. I was surprised, then impressed by his action. And he grew in stature to me by his giving a damn.

Which leads me to state: Give 'em hell Stumpf. Continue to kick tail on the field of play. And thanks for taking the time to make my nephew's day better. Go Bison!

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk298/rjehni/JasonBDFlag_zpskvmu4nxh.jpg

It should be noted that Jason also has autographed photos of Brock, Carson, and Easton thanks to people on this board.

https://m.popkey.co/5d88ad/DoA8r.gif

Bisonator98
10-30-2016, 02:53 AM
MJ is the mvp of this years team IMO.

Bison Bridge Guy
10-30-2016, 03:05 AM
MJ is the mvp of this years team IMO.

Agree! He's not Travis Beck because Beck did it for four years, but he's having a Beck-like season. Has come a long way in the past two years. Damn good player.

freelancer
10-30-2016, 06:42 AM
Stud. On the field and off of it.

AKBison
10-30-2016, 03:12 PM
I wish he was a junior, with De Luca back the linebacker core would have been insane next year.